Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Bindy Badgy
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Closing the English border would have been a massive political statement which would surely have resulted in a massive reaction from Westminster, so I don't think she could have done that either.

Johnson had a fit about it in Westminster when it was discussed. Hard to see how Sturgeon could have pushed ahead with it.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
17 minutes ago, Taffin said:

So does she, or does she not control her borders? Your making out like she doesn't, yet she controlled it at Christmas.

If she really wanted she could have closed all airports in Scotland and shut the border from England, no?

Or was Christmas a bluff where actually she never had the power to do that but nobody challenged it?

a to-the-point but uncomplicated question still remains unanswered - thought this would be an easy one to put to bed / shoot down in flames etc

edit - maybe it has been answered now - looks like it was a bluff from the powerless FM ?

Edited by MoncurMacdonaldMercer

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

I'm not so sure she could do either actually. Airports aren't owned or controlled by the Scottish government and I'm pretty sure aviation is a reserved matter, border control certainly is. Closing the English border would have been a massive political statement which would surely have resulted in a massive reaction from Westminster, so I don't think she could have done that either.

Did you sleep through Christmas or not read the link I posted earlier? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/scotland-closes-border-making-illegal-19321106.amp

So she can stop people coming from the Common Travel Area but nowhere else?

But interesting, you don't think the UK border should have been closed to international travellers, saving many thousands of lives?

Good straw man Smithee, where did I say that?

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Did you sleep through Christmas or not read the link I posted earlier? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/scotland-closes-border-making-illegal-19321106.amp

So she can stop people coming from the Common Travel Area but nowhere else?

Good straw man Smithee, where did I say that?

It's not a straw man at all, it's exactly what I was talking about, Boris not closing the borders.

He should have, no?

Unknown user
10 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Johnson had a fit about it in Westminster when it was discussed. Hard to see how Sturgeon could have pushed ahead with it.

Well this is it, it's easy to say No travel to or from Scotland, but it means nothing, people did it every day. Any attempt to actually close that border to non essential travelers would have been met with a massive reaction from Westminster.

So no, it isn't something she could have actually done.

Edited by Smithee

8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's not a straw man at all, it's exactly what I was talking about, Boris not closing the borders.

He should have, no?

Yes, he should but it is a straw man, because I never said he couldn't. 

It's a simple question in response to "she can't control the border".

What about that time she did?

Was it only illegal to cross it by car, train, bike or on foot? Could I actually have flown home at Christmas after all? 

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Yes, he should but it is a straw man, because I never said he couldn't. 

It's a simple question in response to "she can't control the border".

What about that time she did?

Was it only illegal to cross it by car, train, bike or on foot? Could I actually have flown home at Christmas after all? 

She can't control the border, I crossed it myself

She can't control the border, I crossed it myself

She made it illegal to cross the border for non-essential reasons.

Not 'please don't', illegal.

Whether operationally she managed to deliver it or not is a separate question...which we all know the answer to.

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

She made it illegal to cross the border for non-essential reasons.

Not 'please don't', illegal.

Whether operationally she managed to deliver it or not is a separate question...which we all know the answer to.

Then she can't close the border. Boris could send the tanks in, Nicola can write it down.

I looked it up, these are all reserved matters;

Traffic, train services, navigation, ports, harbours, shipping services, air transport.

Borders and the constitution are also reserved of course.

All things Scotland doesn't have control over.

So no, she can't close the border. Boris should have.

Konrad von Carstein
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Then she can't close the border. Boris could send the tanks in, Nicola can write it down.

Traffic, train services, navigation, ports, harbours, shipping services, air transport.

Zing...

Except when she did. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

https://www.itv.com/news/border/2020-11-17/south-scotland-to-remain-under-level-2-lockdown

I'm well aware of what is, and isn't devolved. Hence why I questioned it at the time...yet lo and behold, it did happen and it did become illegal to cross the border from England into Scotland for non-essential reasons.

Unknown user
Just now, Taffin said:

Except when she did. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

https://www.itv.com/news/border/2020-11-17/south-scotland-to-remain-under-level-2-lockdown

I'm well aware of what is, and isn't devolved. Hence why I questioned it at the time...yet lo and behold, it did happen and it did become illegal to cross the border from England into Scotland for non-essential reasons.

So the border was closed was it?

Konrad von Carstein
3 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I only crossed the border once between 31st October and 12th April and only when they opened a travel window in December.

That was to do essential maintenance on my holiday home

So you were just being a div when bragging about drinking pints and that?

NB: I may have the timelines wrong...if so, sorry (not sorry)

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

Just now, Smithee said:

So the border was closed was it?

I don't know how else you'd describe a border it's been made illegal to cross 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Unknown user
Just now, Taffin said:

I don't know how else you'd describe a border it's been made illegal to cross 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Open, if you're able to cross it with impunity

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Open, if you're able to cross it with impunity

Which you weren't as unless you met the correct conditions (essential travel) you were at risk of a fine. 

Enzo Chiefo
50 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'm not so sure she could do either actually. Airports aren't owned or controlled by the Scottish government and I'm pretty sure aviation is a reserved matter, border control certainly is. Closing the English border would have been a massive political statement which would surely have resulted in a massive reaction from Westminster, so I don't think she could have done that either.

But interesting, you don't think the UK border should have been closed to international travellers, saving many thousands of lives?

What evidence do you have that "thousands of lives would have been saved"? We hear that assertion a lot but you can't prove a negative.  The Indian variant was here months ago, it would have arrived regardless of any inconvenience imposed upon international travellers,  many of whom would be coming for work or other essential reasons.

Italy is a case in point. They stopped flights from India but have now uncovered 81 cases in Lombardy.

The latest National Records of Scotland (NRS) reports that four people in Scotland died due to "adverse effects of Covid-19 vaccines”.

NRS said the deaths are in the context of 3.27 million people who had been given at least one vaccine dose by May 31.

A total of 10,137 people in Scotland have also been registered as dying with confirmed or suspected coronavirus.

On the week to June 13, seven people were registered with Covid-19 on their death certificate, which is one fewer than the previous week.

Of the seven deaths that week, five were people aged 75 or older, while the remaining two were between 65 and 74.

Anyway @Smithee, we actually agree.

I agree Boris should have placed more restrictions on Border control and I also agree that the SG don't have the powers to control borders and that the restrictions they brought in at Christmas were nothing more than unenforceable posturing.

so let's save everyone else the back and forth and enjoy our evenings 👍

Just now, Taffin said:

I agree Boris should have placed more restrictions on Border control and I also agree that the SG don't have the powers to control borders and that the restrictions they brought in at Christmas were nothing more than unenforceable posturing.

Get a room!

:omfg:

JudyJudyJudy
16 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

The latest National Records of Scotland (NRS) reports that four people in Scotland died due to "adverse effects of Covid-19 vaccines”.

NRS said the deaths are in the context of 3.27 million people who had been given at least one vaccine dose by May 31.

A total of 10,137 people in Scotland have also been registered as dying with confirmed or suspected coronavirus.

On the week to June 13, seven people were registered with Covid-19 on their death certificate, which is one fewer than the previous week.

Of the seven deaths that week, five were people aged 75 or older, while the remaining two were between 65 and 74.

Good to see some info about ages etc of those who sadly died . Thanks for sharing 

Nucky Thompson
30 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

So you were just being a div when bragging about drinking pints and that?

NB: I may have the timelines wrong...if so, sorry (not sorry)

Aye, they shut the park down from 31st October to 12th April. You could only get access in that Christmas window and from the 5th April to do maintenance, but no overnight stays

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

XXX 👍

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

What evidence do you have that "thousands of lives would have been saved"? We hear that assertion a lot but you can't prove a negative.  The Indian variant was here months ago, it would have arrived regardless of any inconvenience imposed upon international travellers,  many of whom would be coming for work or other essential reasons.

Italy is a case in point. They stopped flights from India but have now uncovered 81 cases in Lombardy.

Wheesht you, grown ups are talking

JudyJudyJudy
58 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Ban pls mods.

:seething: any mention of the supreme pontiff always seems to get you ……..😮

9EF42471-B7F2-4E87-BCCA-871618614F27.gif

Enzo Chiefo
34 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Wheesht you, grown ups are talking

Grown ups don't cower away from viruses👍

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Grown ups don't cower away from viruses👍

I'm sure there's a few with that line as famous last words

And surely to live such a life would suggest your dick must be riddled with all sorts

Francis Albert
16 minutes ago, kila said:

I'm sure there's a few with that line as famous last words

And surely to live such a life would suggest your dick must be riddled with all sorts

Worst ways to go.

Governor Tarkin
18 minutes ago, kila said:

All 9.5" of it.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, kila said:

And you call James the tart

🤷‍♂️

15 minutes ago, kila said:

And you call James the tart

:D

Edited by redjambo

Jeffros Furios
20 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

All 9.5" of it.

Tripod .

3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I'm pretty sure our vaccine program would have a far better chance at trying to outpace this variant if we only just now had discovered 81 cases. Time was everything here.

Only one way to describe our woeful government's repeated failures:

E4CQOfoVoAEHSv2.jpg

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

🤏.  That's about 9.5" Guv, yeah?

It was a cold day, Enzo, so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Enzo Chiefo
5 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It was a cold day, Enzo, so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.

👍

Let's get this right. The country locksdown to protect the old ***** from the Coronavirus. Giving up education and basically everything. Now the old ***** are double jagged up, they're all fecking off abroad, even when advised mot to, while the younger folk are fecked. Great. 

Let's rewind a year and keep the place fully opened. *****. 

Governor Tarkin

We need a strain of covid that makes west coast roofers' balls fall off imo.

16 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Let's get this right. The country locksdown to protect the old ***** from the Coronavirus. Giving up education and basically everything. Now the old ***** are double jagged up, they're all fecking off abroad, even when advised mot to, while the younger folk are fecked. Great. 

Let's rewind a year and keep the place fully opened. *****. 

This really grinds my gears. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic