Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

I don't know if it has been posted but here's the current status of the various Covid variants under investigation or of concern in the UK:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-variants-genomically-confirmed-case-numbers/variants-distribution-of-cases-data

UK total distribution

Variant Other names by which this variant may be known* Country in which first detected Genomically confirmed cases** Genomically probable cases** Total genomically confirmed and probable cases New cases since last update
VOC-202012/01 B.1.1.7 England, UK N/A N/A 72,193 +13,114
VOC-202012/02 501Y.V2
B.1.351
South Africa 153 64 217¥¥ +15
VUI-202101/01 P2 (descendent of B.1.1.28) Brazil 31 0 31^^ +2
VOC-202101/02 P1 (descendent of B.1.1.28) Japan ex Manaus, Brazil 0 0 0 0
VUI-202102/01 A.23.1 with E484K England, UK 42*** 13 55*** -1^^^
VOC-202102/02 B.1.1.7 with E484K England, UK 22^ 0 22^ 0
VUI-202102/03 B.1.525 (previously designated UK1188) TBC 38 4 42¥ Initial report

Edited by redjambo

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, hmfcbilly said:

It's a bit like these opinion polls that 'strongly' point in favour of independence. Asking a thousand people from Castlemilk in Glasgow what they think is always going to swing the SNP's way!

:rofl:Aye, that's exactly what they do.

Tick Tock!!! 

Governor Tarkin
7 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I’ve not heard one single politician speaking for the things that are important to me. As far as I’m concerned they haven’t merited my vote. 

Loads of folk feel like this.

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Companies starting to draw up 'No jab, no job' contracts. 

A Care Home down south already has, the owner confirmed that all new staff would need to have the vaccine before he would employ one.  I will go out on a limb here and say that this will be tried in more generally but deemed illegal in terms of employment law.  They may get exceptions in health care related roles. Time will tell I guess.  

Edited by joondalupjambo

joondalupjambo
9 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Just reading that covid death rates in England since Jan 24th have been plummeting for the over 80 s and 70 s which is due to the efficacy of the vaccine . Great news on a fairly miserable day up ere . 

Interesting because it was only on Monday when Prof Whitty was asked in the daily briefing the  question after a journo quoted this, i.e. is this drop linked to the vaccine rollout.  The Prof said it was far too early to say if it was the vaccine at play here or if it is the continuing lockdown that was doing it, he hoped it was the former but had no hard data.  

What were you reading?   It would be good if it is the vaccine.

29 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Some studies have been getting done on superspreaders. It’s a small study but it seems to support the 20/80 theory. 

Apparently what make someone a superspreader is down to weight and age. The key factor seeks to be BMI years. Where you multiply BMI by age, when it’s over a certain threshold (650£ makes you 50% more likely to be a supersoreader. 

Stay away from fat old folk, would be the key message as they are much more likely to be supesoreadrrs. 

If your under 26 or with a BMI of 22 or under you will be low spreaders. It appears looking after my health is not only benefitting me but those around me. 

https://www.laboratoryequipment.com/573221-The-3-Factors-That-Make-Someone-a-COVID-19-Superspreader/

Some MSM are carrying the story. 

So not only would some personal responsibility help those people themselves, it would help overall as they currently account for 80% of the spread.

Yet we'll still be told it's all hospitality and young people killing their elders.

This pandemic has really highlighted that we're only as strong as our 'weakest' links. We can talk about planning and virus response until we're blue in the face but getting the populace into better shape has to be high on the agenda going forward.

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

:rofl:Aye, that's exactly what they do.

Tick Tock!!! 

I would be very wary of opinion polls. They've hardly been bang on the money in recent times and a thousand people's views are hardly representative of 5.5million. I think after this past year the scottish elections could be a record low turn out. Regardless of what party you support, I think a lot of the general public are now utterly fed up with politicians regardless of what party they represent. Just my opinion though 

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Some studies have been getting done on superspreaders. It’s a small study but it seems to support the 20/80 theory. 

Apparently what make someone a superspreader is down to weight and age. The key factor seeks to be BMI years. Where you multiply BMI by age, when it’s over a certain threshold (650£ makes you 50% more likely to be a supersoreader. 

Stay away from fat old folk, would be the key message as they are much more likely to be supesoreadrrs. 

If your under 26 or with a BMI of 22 or under you will be low spreaders. It appears looking after my health is not only benefitting me but those around me. 

https://www.laboratoryequipment.com/573221-The-3-Factors-That-Make-Someone-a-COVID-19-Superspreader/

Makes sense that those who develop symptoms and are likely to be harbouring it longer than others are the super spreaders. There is a connection to the mutations in there too I think - longer the virus is living in a host the longer it has to evolve. 

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

This actually makes sense why children are almost immune to it ! ( weight ) ! 

Shanks said no
54 minutes ago, kila said:

Makes sense that those who develop symptoms and are likely to be harbouring it longer than others are the super spreaders. There is a connection to the mutations in there too I think - longer the virus is living in a host the longer it has to evolve. 

Also may tie in with why the UK gov added high BMI to shielders, keeping them off the streets super spreading . 

2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Interesting because it was only on Monday when Prof Whitty was asked in the daily briefing the  question after a journo quoted this, i.e. is this drop linked to the vaccine rollout.  The Prof said it was far too early to say if it was the vaccine at play here or if it is the continuing lockdown that was doing it, he hoped it was the former but had no hard data.  

It  was a Guardian article I’ll try locate it . 

9 hours ago, Costanza said:

That's pretty cool with the film party.

I agree on Marvellous. I thought about it recently after finishing It's A Sin recently, in so much that finishing the latter made me think of great UK TV shows that also really moved you emotionally, and Marvellous was probably the last one I could think of.

On the Lou Macari centre, thought it was interesting how Covid actually had a positive impact on the homeless facilities because protocols meant they couldn't use the dormitories and they ended up using the glamping pods.

Very good article and what a great guy though sadly you won’t get done on this acknowledging it due to his Celtic links . Seriously . 😞

10 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Also may tie in with why the UK gov added high BMI to shielders, keeping them off the streets super spreading . 

So the Spaces for People stuff has had the opposite effect when we actually need narrow pavements 

21 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I don't know how they keep managing to prioritise the vaccine and produce an increasing list of people who should shield. We kept being told on here that it's not possible to:

A - identify who should shield 

B - shield them 

Is the 'shielders' list worth its salt? 

It's sounding more and more as we travel that not only are those not at severe risk from the virus that they may well not be considerable spreaders of the virus either. Young, healthy people shouldn't have had their education, careers, lives turned upside down imo.

This isn't directed at you, but your post triggered my response.

Edited by Taffin

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

We should probably impose really narrow entrances to pubs then.  

Not tonight sir,  you're fat.

Amirite?

Depends if we're trying to curb the spread of coronavirus by imposing restrictions on people's liberty I guess.

If we are, then yes, you probably are right, that would be a useful thing to retain once pubs reopen.

Personally, I'd let them in and make everyone in the pub aware of the risks of being there.

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Amirite?

Allowed inside if your BMI is below the threshold, otherwise spaced out beer garden regardless of the weather

2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Here is the https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/feb/16/encouraging-signs-covid-vaccine-over-80s-deaths-fall-england?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR14hqnFsll3XDuxNYj8KxKekzvdnUQlRHLXpAsMKvBIKmIi6491nP25BmY#Echobox=1613493835

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Stopping fatties going the pub to poison themselves and take a bundle of calories with no nutritional value, probably isn’t the worst idea tbh.

Helps protects the NHS from a drain ion it’s resources. 

StayLean. Protect the NHS. Save lives

Governor Tarkin
9 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Obesity is a bigger strain on the NHS than alchol or smoking. It really is time something was done to encourage people to stop in the same way we have done with smoking at a lesser extent alcohol, 

I do wonder if a health campaign about importance of not being overweight and some initiative to help support people. Together with info about boosting ones own immune etc would have had a positive impact on this crisis. 

I know we have sugar tax but I would tax unhealthy food  so as  to discourage use and I’m not talking a little bit, a 100% type tax on the stuff. 

Did you ever see those documentaries 'The men who made us fat'?

It's another in a long line of ****ing scandals, really.

14 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Depends if we're trying to curb the spread of coronavirus by imposing restrictions on people's liberty I guess.

If we are, then yes, you probably are right, that would be a useful thing to retain once pubs reopen.

Personally, I'd let them in and make everyone in the pub aware of the risks of being there.

To be honest it would mean pubs like Tynie arms , Diggers etc would lose half their custom judging by the sizes of some people in there after and before football matches . I’m assuming it’s a joke to bar them ! 

Edited by JamesM48

I watch “ my 600 lib life “ on tv and it’s heartbreaking some of the stories of how those people became so morbidly obese . A significant portion had childhood trauma such as emotional or sexual abuse and this in turn lead them to seek comfort in over eating. Its an addiction like anything else . In It’s a hard watch at times but good to see some positive stories on it too . The main clinician treating them is fantastic and totally bizarre Dr Now !! He’s a legend now pardon the pun . 

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

No but I think I might be the story. Is that boy who was paid off by sugar companies and doctored studies to ignore sugar damages and come up  with idea fat makes you fat. Which is a ****ing nonsense, albeit certain fats are horrendous health wise. 

We are on the fast food track to being built like the yanks. 

There was more to it than than that but that was a part of it.

Stuff about advertising, supersizing, the introduction of corn syrup, profit, profit, profit.

Like the tobacco industry but with food.

I agree that people need to take personal responsibility for themselves, but when you're effectively brainwashed into a lifestyle, and sold a dream by unscrupulous *******s with the sole intention on parting you with your money then we should hold a measure of sympathy.

Like I said, it should really be a scandal, but with so many powerful stakeholders with an ingrained ideology to support them, very little can be done about it.

15 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I watch “ my 600 lib life “ on tv and it’s heartbreaking some of the stories of how those people became so morbidly obese . A significant portion had childhood trauma such as emotional or sexual abuse and this in turn lead them to seek comfort in over eating. Its an addiction like anything else . In It’s a hard watch at times but good to see some positive stories on it too . The main clinician treating them is fantastic and totally bizarre Dr Now !! He’s a legend now pardon the pun . 

There will always be those who are obese through no fault of their own (or dangerously thin) but the majority of people who are obese are there due to a shocking diet based on wilful ignorance and a "**** you, nobody tells me how to live" attitude.

However, it is also very difficult to maintain a healthy wait when the majority are sitting down for most of the day, and it is probably worse now in lockdown.

Edit: i will dig out Governor T's documentary about the industry and prepare myself to be educated!

Edited by Nookie Bear

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

As an aside profit is often used as a dirty word around these parts. Trust me profit is much better than the alternative. 

I have no issue with profit, we're all in the profit game, but ramping up profit to the knowing detriment of others is poor form.

The tobacco industry being a prime example.

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Very good article and what a great guy though sadly you won’t get done on this acknowledging it due to his Celtic links . Seriously . 😞

Doesn't matter what team he played for, this is cracking work by Macari and something that could and should be copied. Always reading about players looking to put something back into community and this fits bill perfectly. 

Macari's family, and there are some cousins of his who stay up in Fairmilehead, must be proud of him. 

7 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Case and death numbers both going in the wrong direction today.  Will have to wait until 2pm for the breakdown though.

Death numbers down again week on week,  hospital numbers continue falling considerably and cases around the 5% positivity rate. Once the full vaccine effect kicks in,  we will see much bigger reductions in transmission,  hospitalisations and deaths.  By Spring, we will be in a much better position even than last summer.

1 minute ago, Boy Daniel said:

Sturgeon getting her erse skelpt today in FM question times. 

Still slithering, evading and obfuscating though.

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Death numbers down again week on week,  hospital numbers continue falling considerably and cases around the 5% positivity rate. Once the full vaccine effect kicks in,  we will see much bigger reductions in transmission,  hospitalisations and deaths.  By Spring, we will be in a much better position even than last summer.

I agree with that, although Spring in most people's eyes starts in 12 days time.

CavySlaveJambo
3 hours ago, kila said:

Yes. The Kent strains has been traced back to a long term immunosuppressed Covid patient given monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma. I can’t remember which.  Longer they stay ill more chances of  mutations not only occurring but hanging around. 

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I know we have sugar tax but I would tax unhealthy food  so as  to discourage use and I’m not talking a little bit, a 100% type tax on the stuff. 

You would also need to looks at the costs of healthier food vs the cost of junk food.  (79p for a 6 pack of crisps or £1 for a multipack of 4 chocolate bars compared to £1.60 for 5 apples) 

The Sugar tax doesn’t go far enough and neither does the nutritional information on packaged food. It is only on soft drinks but not on chocolate, biscuits or premade cakes.   
As for the nutritional Labels they need to label naturally occuring sugars and added sugar. Because it means people can see how much sugar is being added to supposedly healthy foods. 

12 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Sturgeon getting her erse skelpt today in FM question times. 

She certainly is . Getting more impressed with Jackie Bailie 

Edited by JamesM48

4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

She certainly is . Getting more impressed with Jackie Bailie 

Jackie is a Rottweiler in the nicest use of the word. 

13 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Still slithering, evading and obfuscating though.

It was very obvious today. She had no answers for her or the SG failure to act on the reports highlighting the short comings of preparedness.

scott herbertson
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Aw :(

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Mmm it was my post you choose to quote. 

I know - I made a somewhat offensive version of the stay home, stay safe protect our NHS and thought better of this

I say this as a bit of a image.jpeg.d3a68fbf06830561d7d20b89b2bf5435.jpegmyself

4 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

You would also need to looks at the costs of healthier food vs the cost of junk food.  (79p for a 6 pack of crisps or £1 for a multipack of 4 chocolate bars compared to £1.60 for 5 apples) 

This has been an issue for the last decade or two, basically that for many it's too expensive to choose the healthier option and especially now, at a time when more and more people are finding it harder to even put food on the table in the first place, the healthy option will be the least of their worries.

Perhaps the Government could subsidize healthier foods at the same time as tax the arse out of un-healthy foods, one could well pay for the other, but also have the long term view that it'll save the NHS lots of money in treatment years down the line.

joondalupjambo
2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Thanks

Interesting read and looks encouraging however this is based on a statisticians view, albeit a leading one and will be probably why Prof Whitty said too early to confirm if it is the vaccines or lock down that reducing deaths and hospital admissions.  The Prof will be waiting for hard and fast scientific evidence not statistical.  Still very encouraging if this view is upheld as it will mean that we are on the right track.

Governor Tarkin
Just now, Lord BJ said:

@Governor Tarkin MSP asking question about possible exceptions around oil and gas workers. Suggestion possibly do isolation at home as opposed to hotel, 

The fish says they will look at it but more exception more chance of virus getting in. 

I'd rather be sitting in a hotel getting paid than siting at home getting **** all. 👍

4 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

On my father in law, some headway seems to be getting made. The wife made a few calls last night, she has been contacted by her dads GP this morning.

Apparently the person who is meant to be dealing with this is off sick. The GP said they will raise some form for this sort of thing and they will submit it today. Apparently some ‘system’ issues or something. 

At least things are moving and someone seems to be taking responsibility. Slightly disappointing the route wife had to go to get a response. However, as long as he’s get the jab all good. 

Good to hear. I hope that it gets sorted. I had to have a wry smile at "system issues" though. It's always the "system"'s fault, never the humans operating the system. :)

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It's always the "system"'s fault, never the humans operating the system. :)

Correct. :(

joondalupjambo
3 hours ago, Victorian said:

Amirite?

When at Tynie for a game I get in early and grab a hot drink, (no pie) and stand at the window looking down to the turnstiles and the metal gates at the Gorgie Road entrance.  The number of folk who are, let's say on the larger side that have to come in through via the metal gates rather than the turnstiles is quite mind blowing.  Sign of the times I am afraid.  

So the poor buggee's would have no chance if we had narrow entrance to pubs, with no pints and then locked gates at the game so no watching the Jambo's :rolleyes2:Where would it all end........ :lol:

10 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'd rather be sitting in a hotel getting paid than siting at home getting **** all. 👍

Strangely enough, that's almost exactly what my last woman from the escort agency said to me.

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Case and death numbers both going in the wrong direction today.  Will have to wait until 2pm for the breakdown though.

That is indeed an unexpected rise in case numbers today. We had to keep under 800 today to remain on a downwards trend week-on-week, and we've got over 1,100. As you say, it will be interesting to see where those cases are.

26 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

This has been an issue for the last decade or two, basically that for many it's too expensive to choose the healthier option and especially now, at a time when more and more people are finding it harder to even put food on the table in the first place, the healthy option will be the least of their worries.

Perhaps the Government could subsidize healthier foods at the same time as tax the arse out of un-healthy foods, one could well pay for the other, but also have the long term view that it'll save the NHS lots of money in treatment years down the line.

Do you think that fat people would choose healthier food if it was the same price as unhealthy food? Can’t say I’m convinced with that.  

A lot of unhealthy folk still find the money for takeaways, booze and fags and I don’t think reducing the price of apples is going to make them change their ways I’m afraid.  

It’s also free to go for a jog so I don’t think it all comes down to money. 

I see from the news headlines that "The Audit Scotland report published today says Scottish government was not adequately prepared for the Covid-19 pandemic." Quelle surprise. :)

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic