Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

it’s about getting the correct pupils back to school. Doesn’t have to be negative or positive, imo p7’s and exam age children should be first back. Don’t have to jump on the causing a drama bandwagon. 

I take a different view on that.  For a 5 year old, the loss of a year's education and development would be 20% of their life's learning and development to date, for a 10 year old it is 10%, and a 16 year old 6.25%.

Now obviously, kids haven't lost a full year, but the proportionality remains.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

What a horrendous doom laden statement from her . Depressing and lacking even a snippet of hope . She’s awful . Only positive is schools going back which will help parents and ofcourse kids . 

Real world v. fantasy.

manaliveits105
2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

My father in law still hasn’t received his letter. They have gone through the help Center and GP who say he ain’t on list. 

So as advised contacted MSP and the fish. MSP responds today saying nothing he can do and have to wait for letter. 

The wife has gone ballistic and  it would be funny if it wasn’t so serious. 

Still waiting on fish office responding. 

Just reassure the mrs that  its the fastest roll out in the whole of Europe and Nicky says targets exceeded 

Footballfirst
10 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

My father in law still hasn’t received his letter. They have gone through the help Center and GP who say he ain’t on list. 

So as advised contacted MSP and the fish. MSP responds today saying nothing he can do and have to wait for letter. 

Do you have any idea why he is not on the GP's list?  It he registered with the practice?  I would have expected the GP to add him to the list, and/or add him as a registered patient of the surgery.

manaliveits105
6 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Fecking depressing. Time to turn over to BBC1 England for escape to the country 

A Place In The Sun C4

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I take a different view on that.  For a 5 year old, the loss of a year's education and development would be 20% of their life's learning and development to date, for a 10 year old it is 10%, and a 16 year old 6.25%.

A 5 year old has many years of primary school to try and claw back the missed schooling. P7’s have missed every single part of transition to high schools l, 16 year olds have missed Nat 5’s and highers, leaving school not sitting a single exam. I’m not saying school isn’t important for all ages but what have 5 year olds missed that can’t be caught up ? 

24 minutes ago, Dazo said:

What was said about schools ?

Opening next week up to P3 may open up in next few weeks for older pupils but she has to be “ cautious “ 

3 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Just reassure the mrs that  its the fastest roll out in the whole of Europe and Nicky says targets exceeded 

Another important contribution from yourself 🙈🤣

@Lord BJ your MSP should be able to contact NS or her office directly for you. Don’t understand why his GP can’t add him to the list , as long as he is registered with the practice. It sounds like just passing the buck. 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Opening next week up to P3 may open up in next few weeks for older pupils but she has to be “ cautious “ 

what do you want her to do James? Its the same position as the UK government, dates are changeable , cautious as we dont want to go back to anymore lockdowns 

joondalupjambo
24 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Surely no one expected Easter holidays to be a thing ? 

Some folk go giddy over Easter holidays, maybe because they are cooped up for the whole winter and then that weekend is their first chance to get out of the bigger cities and get some r and r.   If the FM is advising against booking Easter holidays then Boris will need to do the same or it will be carnage.

Luckily my walking holiday to Torridon is not until June so fingers crossed all ok by then.

Edited by joondalupjambo

1 minute ago, sadj said:

@Lord BJ your MSP should be able to contact NS or her office directly for you. Don’t understand why his GP can’t add him to the list , as long as he is registered with the practice. It sounds like just passing the buck. 

what do you want her to do James? Its the same position as the UK government, dates are changeable , cautious as we dont want to go back to anymore lockdowns 

Go back to lockdowns? We are still in lockdown and will be for some to come 

Brighton Jambo

So last year with no vaccine and a later lockdown we were allowed Summer UK vacations and foreign holidays.

This year with a vaccine which by summer will be into the 30 and 40 something group and an earlier lockdown she is saying we may not be able to even holiday in the Uk.

Absolutely ridiculous.  No logic whatsoever and if she thinks people will accept another whole year written off she is delusional.  Once she’s loses peoples buy in she loses control.  

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

The GP he’s at he’s been at for 70+ years or as long as the surgery has been there. 

The GP said he wasn’t in any list they were doing so would be dealt via the call centre. They went to call centre said he’s not on any list they have. He, the mother in law and wife have all contacted both prior to contacting and MSP and FM. 

We thought there might of been a issue as he doesn’t go by his birth name. However, for whatever reason he has fallen between the cracks. The MSP’s response was hugely dissapointing. 

He has also been going to his GP fairly registry during this as he doesn’t keep good health. So they know he exists. 

So in short not a ****ing clue, 

That's pretty disappointing all round

1 minute ago, GBJambo said:

Go back to lockdowns? We are still in lockdown and will be for some to come 

Try not to be pedantic....

For your benefit.... The caution is there from the UKG and SG because neither wants to have to go back into another lockdown once we finally come out of this one......

3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The GP he’s at he’s been at for 70+ years or as long as the surgery has been there. 

The GP said he wasn’t in any list they were doing so would be dealt via the call centre. They went to call centre said he’s not on any list they have. He, the mother in law and wife have all contacted both prior to contacting and MSP and FM. 

We thought there might of been a issue as he doesn’t go by his birth name. However, for whatever reason he has fallen between the cracks. The MSP’s response was hugely dissapointing. 

He has also been going to his GP fairly registry during this as he doesn’t keep good health. So they know he exists. 

Thats awful BJ , I would def try and push the MSP , hopefully others have better options. I still think the GPs office could take charge and resolve it. Who issues the appointments at the centres and who issues them at local GPs? 

28 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

She’s still talking about it. They early stages going back as planned. Then hoped next phase would go back late March, would hopes to confirm return plan in a couple of week. No indicative date given and very clear no return date as stands, 

Doesnt spread amongst kids it’s the associated travel ie. parents meeting, 

Its really down droden message tbh. 

It really was her worse performance / presentation since the pandemic began I felt . 

16 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Fecking depressing. Time to turn over to BBC1 England for escape to the country 

Yes wise move 

8 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

A Place In The Sun C4

Love it . The other “ a new place in the sun “ is also good . 4 pm today . It’s about  British people setting up businesses in Europe . It’s a real shame for their hopes and dreams have been quashed due to covid 

4 minutes ago, sadj said:

Display some optimism ! Smile ! Pat herself on the back about the vaccination success which in turns makes people feel positive that there is an end in site ? And maybe even maybe have a road map out if it which are all privy to ! 

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Shocking . You should stand out parliament with him make a scene ! Get some publicity ! My msp was brilliant with my health issues . Btw I enjoyed “ zero zero zero “ 

Just now, Lord BJ said:

The kids allegedly go back in 3 week phases. Realistically as the first review is in 2 week it will be after Easter until they go back. 

I think it will be a blended learning model when they go back as well. 

She said if you listened, that 3 week phases is not the case. If they can get them back quick, they will. She explained it to Jamie Greene.

The Real Maroonblood
36 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

What a horrendous doom laden statement from her . Depressing and lacking even a snippet of hope . She’s awful . Only positive is schools going back which will help parents and ofcourse kids . 

She should’ve just said **** it and open everything up.

6 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

So last year with no vaccine and a later lockdown we were allowed Summer UK vacations and foreign holidays.

This year with a vaccine which by summer will be into the 30 and 40 something group and an earlier lockdown she is saying we may not be able to even holiday in the Uk.

Absolutely ridiculous.  No logic whatsoever and if she thinks people will accept another whole year written off she is delusional.  Once she’s loses peoples buy in she loses control.  

Well said . The natives are getting restless . About time 

3 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

The no foreign holidays thing has all but been said by both BJ and NS. The unlikelihood of UK holidays has been mentioned by both governments. Difference is BJ said its too early to make a decision which if you look objectively at how he deals with things means his position is it highly unlikely. 

Holidays should never have been allowed last year but as you could still holiday even until last month its not surprising

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

It really was her worse performance / presentation since the pandemic began I felt . 

Yes wise move 

Love it . The other “ a new place in the sun “ is also good . 4 pm today . It’s about  British people setting up businesses in Europe . It’s a real shame for their hopes and dreams have been quashed due to covid 

Display some optimism ! Smile ! Pat herself on the back about the vaccination success which in turns makes people feel positive that there is an end in site ? And maybe even maybe have a road map out if it which are all privy to ! 

Shocking . You should stand out parliament with him make a scene ! Get some publicity ! My msp was brilliant with my health issues . Btw I enjoyed “ zero zero zero “ 

James and the giant bleach, greetin about NS again. 

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:spoton:And a big GIRFUY, anaw. 

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

James and the giant bleach, greetin about NS again. 

That made me laugh ! 😂😂

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The wife has went ballistic. She breaking out her contact book as we speak. She used to work in politics until she decided I was a much better option. 

The sister in law will probably go on social media campaign, if I know her. 

Hopefully the fishes office provide a better response than the MSP, 

fingers crossed its resolved quickly for him. 

9 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

It is anticipated that the adult popualtion will have been vaccinated by utumn and yet Universities are already planning to continue with hybrid teaching from the new academic year in Sep 2021.

The dam will burst at some point before then, i reckon, and money will talk.

4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

She should do shout-outs like Glen Michael's Cavalcade.

"And with that hospitalisations figure, those are today's Covid statistics... Anyway, a quick hello to JamesM48 from Jambos Kickback - this is for you." Turns to camera and smiles broadly. "Everything is going to be just ginger peachy!" Returns to discussing the phased return of schools...

joondalupjambo
2 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Brighton as it stands today I would tend to agree with you, it makes little sense and hard to swallow especially as we are in the middle of winter when we need something to lift us.

The wording did indicate hope that summer UK holidays would be possible and that is in line with what politicians down south have been saying albeit mixed messaging at times.  

I now await the UK Governments position on holidays, assume we will hear something when BJ announces his plan out of lockdown next Monday.  It will be ironic if he says the same.  Ladbroke's could open a book ☺️

It will be worse if he says nothing because that leaves the FM high and dry on the subject ☺️

46 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

LBJ

Send email address to first minister's contact email:-

[email protected]

She has stated many times recently to do this and also in this article

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/nicola-sturgeon-email-me-if-you-cant-get-answer-vaccination-issues-3128080

So hopefully that's another option.

Brighton Jambo
21 minutes ago, sadj said:

The no foreign holidays thing has all but been said by both BJ and NS. The unlikelihood of UK holidays has been mentioned by both governments. Difference is BJ said its too early to make a decision which if you look objectively at how he deals with things means his position is it highly unlikely. 

Holidays should never have been allowed last year but as you could still holiday even until last month its not surprising

Why would UK holidays be unlikely?   By late July all under 50’s will have been offered both jags and all 30/40 somethings should have had first dose.  

if you assume we have also maintained all the measures we can to suppress the virus to a low level why would it not be okay to holiday in Uk? I do get the foreign travel but and agree.  

it makes no sense at all.  

Byyy The Light
44 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

What I don't really understand is if the reason they've given for putting younger kids to school is the parents mingling then they've put all the ones back who 100% rely on parents dropping them off. Most older kids can walk to school themselves or be dropped off further away so that parents don't come in to contact.

17 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

A lot the tourism industry would have been hoping to take advantage of increased staycations, this year. That certainly doesn’t look like the opportunity it did yesterday. 

The airline industry should do well though with all the income they get from re-routing travellers to Scotland through Ireland.

27 minutes ago, redjambo said:

"And with that hospitalisations figure, those are today's Covid statistics... Anyway, a quick hello to JamesM48 from Jambos Kickback - this is for you." Turns to camera and smiles broadly. "Everything is going to be just ginger peachy!" Returns to discussing the phased return of schools...

She needs to jazz it up a bit really...not asking for much 

2_2_63022_2_1_800x800.jpg

Just now, JamesM48 said:

She needs to jazz it up a bit really...not asking for much 

2_2_63022_2_1_800x800.jpg

:D Now even I would watch that.

10 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

the one that has caused this lockdown.

eh?  Edinburgh has effectively been in a lockdown since October.

22 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Why would UK holidays be unlikely?   By late July all under 50’s will have been offered both jags and all 30/40 somethings should have had first dose.  

if you assume we have also maintained all the measures we can to suppress the virus to a low level why would it not be okay to holiday in Uk? I do get the foreign travel but and agree.  

Because the weather is **** and prices are going through the roof?

Big fanfare announcement in the week before the election.

image.jpeg.35f598378ad31abf9bf5ee57c49663b5.jpeg

Holidays are permitted! Didn’t we do well! Vote for Me! Vote for the SNP!!!

Just catching up with the doom and gloom announcement earlier and she says things will be driven by data and not dates regards opening things up. 
What a pile of crap, what about when the data showed a few months back Edinburgh should have been in a lower tier? She didn’t follow data then 

Also Easter is 6 or 7 weeks away so what if the data is showing at that point really low figures and no deaths do you think she’d follow the data and open things up? 

manaliveits105
13 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Big fanfare announcement in the week before the election.

image.jpeg.35f598378ad31abf9bf5ee57c49663b5.jpeg

Holidays are permitted! Didn’t we do well! Vote for Me! Vote for the SNP!!!

Hopefully Frank will have got the door for the last time before then and smacked it off her behind on the way oot 

36 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

What I don't really understand is if the reason they've given for putting younger kids to school is the parents mingling then they've put all the ones back who 100% rely on parents dropping them off. Most older kids can walk to school themselves or be dropped off further away so that parents don't come in to contact.

I was just coming on to say this and glad someone else has picked up on it.  My P7 can barely remember anything he did at school or in life before the age of 8.  To think that P1-3 will be affected more than say P6/7. to me anyway, defies logic.

2 minutes ago, theshed said:

Just catching up with the doom and gloom announcement earlier and she says things will be driven by data and not dates regards opening things up. 
What a pile of crap, what about when the data showed a few months back Edinburgh should have been in a lower tier? She didn’t follow data then

How many fecking times.

Although the indicators for Edinburgh City were looking good in the issue you refer to last year, there was an upsurge in cases in the days before they made the decision. It gave the decision-makers cause for hesitation and they ended up erring on the side of safety. After the fact, they were proven right as the level of cases in Edinburgh did in fact rise substantially enough to not have warranted the proposed move to Tier 2.

If you're going to use examples to back up your arguments, use ones with less holes in them. ;)

Footballfirst
41 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Gone are the days when 5 year olds could be left to make their own way to school. I was still only 4 when I started school, and was only escorted on my first day.  Thereafter I had to hoof it, wind rain or shine.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

:lol:

46 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I don’t have an answer to that just its what both Governments have said 🤷🏻‍♂️ Ask them or ask a media person to ask that instead of lobbying for footie fans at OF games

47 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

This is where I kind of am. 

It doesn’t pass the scratch and sniff test. I feel like I’m missing something. 

I've said before, she is enjoying the power and control and will relinquish it reluctantly.  Independence is the end game for absolutely everything she does. A compliant, restricted population who have been brainwashed in to thinking she is "keeping us safe" and "guiding us through a pandemic" would be far more likely to be hypnotised by  her in any future Independence campaign. I accept that there is a large proportion of the country who want Independence anyway, but she will need the support of many more to achieve her goal.

In terms of the pandemic, there is no moral, scientific nor legal basis for restricting people's rights and liberties much longer. Wanting to go slower than last summer is both bonkers and deluded in equal measure. She doesn't even seem to acknowledge the effect vaccines are having or will have in the next few months. We are now past the point where lockdown is doing more damage than good and the new variant argument is wearing thin. Once the majority of the elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated then restrictions need lifted. If a younger cohort end up with the "sniffles" then the vaccines  have done their job.  There will always be exceptions, more severe reactions and, unfortunately,  death, as occurs with flu each year. That should not be stopping us getting back to the old normal and people starting to live again.

7 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Gone are the days when 5 year olds could be left to make their own way to school. I was still only 4 when I started school, and was only escorted on my first day.  Thereafter I had to hoof it, wind rain or shine.

I think that 's his point FF, they're sending back the very kids that are most likely to spread the virus not through themselves but the interactions of their carers. I smacks in the face of reason. They can eat crayons at home, don't need to munch them at school surely!

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic