Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Just now, Brighton Jambo said:

It is absolutely ridiculous.  The head of the vaccine task force has just said that by August all adults will have had both doses of the vaccine.  He even said it could be sooner if needed.

That gives 6 months worth of data on the effectiveness of vaccine both here and from other countries.

And I am only talking about UK holidays here.  How when every adult is vaccinated fully and we have months of data on vaccines can we not have a holiday in UK.  I will say it again, absolutely ridiculous.  

I haven't heard anyone ruling out UK staycations in September once everyone has been double vaccinated.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Spot on James. Her attitude recently has been disgraceful.  She will have to follow the UK lead again and Boris's boosterism will ensure that pubs and restaurants will open in Scotland much sooner than she would have wanted. Ending the present furlough scheme, and introducing benefits for businesses that are trading again, will focus her mind.

Yes I am hoping furlough is ended at the end of March and people are able to resume their employment again...those that still have a job or business that is.   Its the only thing that will have affect a radical change of policy in Scotland. Btw she seems to be getting pelters on other social media about the " doom laden" performance today.  People need hope and inspiration with a bit of reality thrown in.  

41 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

We 'magiced' evidence of long Covid, we 'magiced' evidence of the new super scary version of virus being more transmittable just in time to extend circuit breaker, we 'magiced'  evidence today that pubs are dangerous (based on the tremendously large survey of 29 pubs), we 'magiced' evidence of Covid knowing difference between being in cafe before 6pm and after 6pm, yet when something positive is suggested, we need to be cautious and wait months for the evidence. 

Excellent point . She used " evidence" when it suits her narrative and the SG. 

29 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

We were also told that Blackpool was responsible for a lot of spread,  probably counts as overseas in the FM's mind,  just before an OF game when pubs were open there. Convenient, very convenient.  Nearly as timely as that super-duper new Kent strain being "discovered" just before Christmas.  Whatever happened to that strain we used to hear so much about😮

Yes the " Kent variant" was so transparent. It came at the same time both Govts were shitting themselves about their open policy at Xmas and tried to back track on it.  Aye right we arent daft. The strain is really smart its changed nationality now. 

Brighton Jambo
37 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Not her thing though is it. She needs to be ultra cautious and able to appear caring. Wait and see what Westminster do and then take it one step further enabling her to complain and blame, her speciality. 

Her whole strategy is based on being super cautious as that polled well last year.  Now the polling is starting to turn as people are getting vaccinated and are feeling it’s safer to open up.  As a result she is between a rock and hard place especially with an election coming up.

As always she’s waiting for Boris to reveal his plan and then she will criticise and go more slowly.  She hasn’t done any significant thinking herself once throughout this pandemic.  

What will happen next week is Boris will announce a plan, she will deliberately choose to go slower on opening business and hospitality thus conveniently engineering a grievance about the extension of furlough.  You can quote this post back to me if I am wrong.  

44 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

No Sadj, I think there is a world of difference between Boris and NS in terms of their desire to unlock. He at least gives a bit of positivity and hope about the future and is a libertarian.  He is talking about UK holidays at Easter and has not ruled out foreign trips at any point this year.  Sturgeon's approach is all doom and gloom and gives the impression that she doesn’t actually want this to end. 

Lockdown may have been justified in the past but come April/May the top 9 groups will have been vaccinated. They have accounted for 99% of deaths thus far and 80% of hospital admissions.  There is no justification for lockdown after they are done. If cases go up, so be it. The most vulnerable will be vaccinated and the virus may struggle to find enough susceptible people to be any threat. If hospitals do become busy then that is an issue for them and would not justify another lockdown. 

Im maybe missing something but iv no idea how anyone can say Boris Johnson is a Libertarian. 

Boris and Nicola have essentially said the same things. Boris did it by pre-empting things a few weeks ago with well this is the date for this and that then two weeks later said naaa I was just joking we will prob change them.

BJ said its possible we could let you do self catering holidays at easter in the UK if the R number continues to fall dramatically. He also said no to foreign holidays in summer and also said its possible no holidays will be allowed in the UK this year. The idea of the Easter self catering holidays for a self contained household to go on was also in his opinion one of the more ambitious timescales for things. so really take your pick he has covered all bases. 

Perception Enzo perception.

Boris does say things that give hope but he also takes that away down the line. Sturgeon often just uses the word caution  , neither really promises anything concrete in terms of what we will or wont be allowed to do. Empty promises can be just as bad long term for battering peoples mental well being. Some may say its worse.

Vaccinations should mean an easing of restrictions from a complete lockdown. Not a complete lift on everything. It is vital that when we come out of this its not going to go tits up and we end up back in it. 

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Away from the hysterical moaning for a bit...

Channel 4 News reported on India's mysteriously shrinking epidemic.  Their epidemic has greatly reduced over the past 4 months and there's no explanation for it.  Vaccinations have only just started.  Mask wearing is patchy.  Social distancing... what in India?

Very interesting.  I wonder if there's any specifics to be really hopeful about.

Feel free to discuss or just make stuff up about it.  ;)

Nutritious healthy  diet and no fatties over there..

Dennis Reynolds
2 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

It’s breaking news on Sky News just now on the yellow ticker thing.  

Not exactly.

28 minutes ago, Barack said:

I'll send you a picture of me on the promenade in Paphos. Mojito in hand. 😎

Jesus no , don’t open it @Governor Tarkin , you canna do that to the poor man Pres....Unless there is Pritti Patel in the background sunbathing..

29 minutes ago, Barack said:

Yeah, I'll just go for my Birthday. Can cope another few months without seeing 30°c+. 

I got up to see them before last lockdown. Just. Was planning on a week away there in May, with a night in Edinburgh. But that's looking a bit urgh now even, after the Dementor has spoken. Not fussed by that, or Summer. But if folk can't travel within the UK even, by the Summer, it'll be ****ing anarchy. :lol:

Wee Jock McPlop and his brood,  aren't going to keep the lights on in the hospitality sector on their own, with day trips to St. Andrews. Need the taffs & the cockney's to chip in too.

A night in Edinburgh , The Halycon days of freedom of movement and open pubs.

Was away to say should send the man bunned one along to visit your folks , make sure they are ok. I do apologise.....

I would think the self catering thing for single households will be ok by then as they will surely be able to work out what restrictions are still required and implement them

Just now, Barack said:

Glamping, my boy. Hobbit huts by the beach. Midges in my drinks. Seven different rainbows after a thunderstorm on a dry day. Trailing behind camper van's on single track roads.

Hold. Me. Back.

🤣🤣🤣 could take the new age wannabe hipster manbunner with you....

Dont see why protocols wont be in place for glamping/caravan holidays...Weve a lovely caravan park here. If you are lucky the neighbour n his pals will even break into the caravan for you and steal all your stuff.

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Start to get vaccinated en-masse. Details.👍🏻😉

Done by the Fall. (September.) 

Id have more said end of September start of October as early fall.....😘

The Real Maroonblood
45 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Did they do the same study in shops and supermarkets 

That's a good question. 

Probably not.

I can only push a case for my local and they're protocol was excellent. 

You don't get the same in supermarkets. 

Toxteth O'Grady

If we can’t travel outside the City boundaries then there is not a chance that I’ll walk to a polling station in May. I will apply for postal vote and spoil the paper as none of them represent me. 

1 minute ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

If we can’t travel outside the City boundaries then there is not a chance that I’ll walk to a polling station in May. I will apply for postal vote and spoil the paper as none of them represent me. 

And it will not make a jot of difference to anybody.

Will be interesting to see what Boris says next week. I think the snp plan is to open up carefully and then blame furlough stopping so they do well in the polls. I still hope we will see more movement by early may as they need this for the actual elections to go ahead. 

Footballfirst

I did think NS did come across very negatively today. However, I hope that it was done deliberately so that there are no future reversals of approach and only positive steps forward in easing restrictions, as cases, deaths and hospital bed use fall.

I look at the current situation as being where we were at the end April last year, i.e. past the worst but still with a long way to go.  Two months on from that date we had daily case counts dropping to single figures, pubs reopening and people going off on holiday.

Even with a more cautious approach to easing restrictions this time, There is no reason why the future two or three months should be much different from last year.  There is a change of approach this time round in allowing schools to go back first, but we also have the security of the vaccination programme which should prevent last year's upsurge in cases as restrictions are eased and some "normality" is restored.

If we do get numbers down to the levels we were at last summer, then it will be difficult to sustain a ban on foreign travel, particularly if other countries have similarly managed to suppress the virus.  A vaccine passport should be a no-brainer.

Edited by Footballfirst

Malinga the Swinga
35 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Away from the hysterical moaning for a bit...

Channel 4 News reported on India's mysteriously shrinking epidemic.  Their epidemic has greatly reduced over the past 4 months and there's no explanation for it.  Vaccinations have only just started.  Mask wearing is patchy.  Social distancing... what in India?

Very interesting.  I wonder if there's any specifics to be really hopeful about.

Feel free to discuss or just make stuff up about it.  ;)

I speak with folk in Chennai and Hydrebad every day and for them life gone almost back to normal. 

There was a link few pages back that investigated it. One of possible reasons given was if they can survive Malaria, and Dengue fever, then this is just another virus and their resistance is naturally high. Introducing these other things probably not the best way of building resistance in UK. 

manaliveits105

Asked if supply might slow in the coming weeks, as some devolved administrations have warned, he said: "No. That might be logistics."

Bring in more army then 

manaliveits105
3 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I speak with folk in Chennai and Hydrebad every day and for them life gone almost back to normal. 

There was a link few pages back that investigated it. One of possible reasons given was if they can survive Malaria, and Dengue fever, then this is just another virus and their resistance is naturally high. Introducing these other things probably not the best way of building resistance in UK. 

The article also mentioned herd immunity 

Edited by manaliveits105

13 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Also possibly because Bill Gates employs more Indians for slave labour purposes he wants to protect them 🤷🏻‍♂️

5G hasn't been rolled out in India yet. ;)

Governor Tarkin
43 minutes ago, sadj said:

Id have more said end of September start of October as early fall.....😘

It's autumn, you ****.

:seething:

Governor Tarkin
31 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Malaria isn't a virus.

Dengue however, is a virus, and not one that you'd necessarily want to come into intimate contact with.

CavySlaveJambo
45 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

A vaccine passport should be a no-brainer.

I think it is coming, BUT only after every adult has been vaccinated. otherwise two tier system, the elderly, carers and the chronically ill in one, and every other adult in the other.  

8 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It's autumn, you ****.

Sir Walter Raleigh:

The flowers do fade, and wanton fields
To wayward winter reckoning yields;
A honey tongue, a heart of gall,
Is fancy’s spring, but sorrow’s fall.

Like quite a few words, "fall" was in widespread use in Britain along with "autumn" and hence transported over to the States where it prospered while back here we moved to preferring "autumn".

Of course, we should really go back to calling the season "harvest" like we used to. 🙃🙃

31 minutes ago, jonesy said:

That's likely to be their number one campaign tool in the forthcoming election. "Evil Sunak won't keep handing out free cash to the brave Scots who are sitting at home playing Nintendo and munching Wotsits while their kids get stupider by the day. Vote for independence! Vote for no work! Vote for reliance on the state! Vote SNP!"

LOL

24 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It's autumn, you ****.

I thought that might get you triggered....:) 

CavySlaveJambo

Looks like the coronavirus is going through hybridisation in some countries *USA* as well as all it's mutations.

Oh and the nice scientific magazine that is from says at the moment hotel quarantine isn't going to do anything - because mutations can come from anywhere and one country where mutations could be occurring frequently *USA* is not on the red list.  However when our numbers are down, it will be needed for everyone returning. 

Byyy The Light

Just clicked on the wrong thing by mistake and ended up on the first page of this thread. Read through first few pages, quite interesting to see it all developing

Governor Tarkin
15 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Sir Walter Raleigh:

The flowers do fade, and wanton fields
To wayward winter reckoning yields;
A honey tongue, a heart of gall,
Is fancy’s spring, but sorrow’s fall.

Like quite a few words, "fall" was in widespread use in Britain along with "autumn" and hence transported over to the States where it prospered while back here we moved to preferring "autumn".

Of course, we should really go back to calling the season "harvest" like we used to. 🙃🙃

Unless I'm mistaken, sadj wasn't born in the 1550's.

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Unless I'm mistaken, sadj wasn't born in the 1550's.

You haven't seen his arm.

krm0W.jpg

2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

We 'magiced' evidence of long Covid, we 'magiced' evidence of the new super scary version of virus being more transmittable just in time to extend circuit breaker, we 'magiced'  evidence today that pubs are dangerous (based on the tremendously large survey of 29 pubs), we 'magiced' evidence of Covid knowing difference between being in cafe before 6pm and after 6pm, yet when something positive is suggested, we need to be cautious and wait months for the evidence. 

It's a bit like these opinion polls that 'strongly' point in favour of independence. Asking a thousand people from Castlemilk in Glasgow what they think is always going to swing the SNP's way!

1 hour ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

That is exactly where I'm at Toxteth. I spoiled my European postal vote and I'll likely do the same with May's one. 2 choices where I live in the borders....the sanctimonious, patronising Christine Grahame of the SNP or the current head of Scottish Borders Council (and Conservative candidate) Shona Haslam. After the double standards and lies of the Tories this past year plus the patronising political bull of the SNP I csnt bring myself to vote for either Party in May. If there's an independent I may vote them instead even though they will have next to no chance of winning down here (along with lib dem and labour)

Do people who spoil their ballot think they're somehow sticking it to the system and making anyone sit up and take notice?

Your paper just gets chucked in the pile with all the ones filled in by morons who can't mark their ballot paper properly, without being given a second thought. A complete waste of time.

4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Do people who spoil their ballot think they're somehow sticking it to the system and making anyone sit up and take notice?

Your paper just gets chucked in the pile with all the ones filled in by morons who can't mark their ballot paper properly, without being given a second thought. A complete waste of time.

To be fair, the majority of ballot papers will be completed by morons who can't mark their ballot paper properly and haven’t given a second thought to their choice.

Just reading that covid death rates in England since Jan 24th have been plummeting for the over 80 s and 70 s which is due to the efficacy of the vaccine . Great news on a fairly miserable day up ere . 

Edited by JamesM48

11 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

This. No one cares.

I know there are some who think Long Covid is a Government/Scientist/Lockdown Fanatic conspiracy, but if we put down the tin foil hat for a second,  should we be concerned with the statistics from the ONS that state that in kids aged 2-11, 13% of them have persistent symptoms (not just the sniffles) over 5 weeks after catching Covid?

You would think this would be front and centre of any decision before we open schools up fully.

I like everyone else wants an end to lockdown but surely we need to get the transmission rate as close to the floor as possible before we create a situation that could potentially create long term health conditions for thousands of kids (and adults).

Hopefully these are exaggerated figures but just doesn't feel like there is enough known about this area.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthandlifeexpectancies/adhocs/12788updatedestimatesoftheprevalenceoflongcovidsymptoms

Malinga the Swinga
13 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Unless it's what the person wants to do. Who are you to tell anyone what is a waste of time and what isn't. 

Feel like I'm constantly a moaning minnie with Covid but read this earlier and found it quite uplifting with regards to how Lou Macari worked round Covid with his homeless shelter.

Knew he was a top man after reading about him and Neil Baldwin as the kit man at Stoke (the show about it Marvellous is fantastic) but this just reaffirms it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1yNNxC7w0C1Dgc3vjZNtY9Y/the-former-footballer-who-set-up-a-homeless-shelter-i-thought-surely-we-can-do-better-than-this

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Just reading that covid death rates in England since Jan 24th have been plummeting for the over 80 s and 70 s which is due to the efficacy of the vaccine . Great news on a fairly miserable day up ere

The weather has been fine.

Footballfirst
29 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Just reading that covid death rates in England since Jan 24th have been plummeting for the over 80 s and 70 s which is due to the efficacy of the vaccine . Great news on a fairly miserable day up ere . 

It's difficult to say how much is due to the vaccine or the lockdown.

The closest Scotland figures are for over 85s and 75-84s

Coincidentally the peak 7 day average death rate for the over 85s was on 24 January when it was 27. A week later (31 Jan) it was 19 and a further week on (7 Feb) it was 15.6.  It has dropped further since then but the numbers can be confirmed with any certainty because of the time taken to register deaths.

The corresponding figures for 75-84s were, 16.9 on 24 Jan, 16.4 on 31 Jan and 15.0 on 7 Feb. So it's a slower improvement, but that might just be the result of the vaccine scheduling.  (The peak for the 75-84 age group was 17.6 on 26 Jan)

Edited by Footballfirst

Toxteth O'Grady
40 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

If that is a big enough pile that effect the results then they will notice 

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

If that is a big enough pile that effect the results then they will notice 

In that case you might get someone saying "stop the count", "stop the steal", "it's a rigged election" or "it's a fraud"

Toxteth O'Grady
24 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

In that case you might get someone saying "stop the count", "stop the steal", "it's a rigged election" or "it's a fraud"

If you get a bigger pile saying “none of the above” than the votes for any of the other self serving charlatans then it casts doubt on their status of representation 

Toxteth O'Grady
1 hour ago, hmfcbilly said:

That is exactly where I'm at Toxteth. I spoiled my European postal vote and I'll likely do the same with May's one. 2 choices where I live in the borders....the sanctimonious, patronising Christine Grahame of the SNP or the current head of Scottish Borders Council (and Conservative candidate) Shona Haslam. After the double standards and lies of the Tories this past year plus the patronising political bull of the SNP I csnt bring myself to vote for either Party in May. If there's an independent I may vote them instead even though they will have next to no chance of winning down here (along with lib dem and labour)

I’ve not heard one single politician speaking for the things that are important to me. As far as I’m concerned they haven’t merited my vote. 

1 hour ago, Costanza said:

Feel like I'm constantly a moaning minnie with Covid but read this earlier and found it quite uplifting with regards to how Lou Macari worked round Covid with his homeless shelter.

Knew he was a top man after reading about him and Neil Baldwin as the kit man at Stoke (the show about it Marvellous is fantastic) but this just reaffirms it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1yNNxC7w0C1Dgc3vjZNtY9Y/the-former-footballer-who-set-up-a-homeless-shelter-i-thought-surely-we-can-do-better-than-this

Hea a great guy . That film “ marvellous “ was well marvellous ! Very moving story about acceptance abc treating people with a learning disability with respect and compassion .  I met Gemma Jones at a film premiere a few years back when I bagged an invite to after film party ! She was lovely to talk to . Fine actress too . 

10 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Hea a great guy . That film “ marvellous “ was well marvellous ! Very moving story about acceptance abc treating people with a learning disability with respect and compassion .  I met Gemma Jones at a film premiere a few years back when I bagged an invite to after film party ! She was lovely to talk to . Fine actress too . 

That's pretty cool with the film party.

I agree on Marvellous. I thought about it recently after finishing It's A Sin recently, in so much that finishing the latter made me think of great UK TV shows that also really moved you emotionally, and Marvellous was probably the last one I could think of.

On the Lou Macari centre, thought it was interesting how Covid actually had a positive impact on the homeless facilities because protocols meant they couldn't use the dormitories and they ended up using the glamping pods.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic