Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

43 minutes ago, Victorian said:

He's off his chump.  Often comes out with this anti-science,  Teletubbies mumbo jumbo.  Lockdown bad mutation booo,  nae lockdown friendly mutation yaaay.

It's pseudo-scientific misinformation tailored to suit an agenda and a particular audience.  The gullible are easily snared.

As opposed to the "scientific " guff that you impart. Hand your brain in at New St. Andrews House and leave the critical thinking to us. 😂

FYI, lockdowns are a blunt, panic measure that are not "scientific" in any way , shape or form. And, yes, some scientists do argue that by interrupting the flow of virus through lockdown,  it prevented it mutating in to the weaker form that, historically, it has done. That is "arguable" no matter how much you stick your fingers in your ears and stamp your feet.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Barack said:

:verysmug:

or to make you feel more at ease...

:greggy:

:lol:

jambos are go!

Can't understand why Sturgeon is getting away with saying at no stage did the Scottish Government run out of PPE. That's all that matters not that care homes or hospitals ran out of PPE because of their incompetence.

11 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

As opposed to the "scientific " guff that you impart. Hand your brain in at New St. Andrews House and leave the critical thinking to us. 😂

FYI, lockdowns are a blunt, panic measure that are not "scientific" in any way , shape or form. And, yes, some scientists do argue that by interrupting the flow of virus through lockdown,  it prevented it mutating in to the weaker form that, historically, it has done. That is "arguable" no matter how much you stick your fingers in your ears and stamp your feet.

:rofl:  The usual cart before the horse critical thinking but you 'believe' what you like.  Quite literally.

42 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

*But children have a very low risk of passing on the virus. More risk in supermarkets. 

*Not what I've read and heard, just this morning. But, I agree, Supermarkets are probably the worst. 

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I know I'm probably wrong, but teachers should be vaxxed pronto. Imo. 

Seems right if government are looking for full time schooling. 

Why ? If a teacher isn’t in one of the at risk groups then they should be in line with everyone else. NHS, fire and police services should be the only people getting vaccinated ahead of the priority lists imo. 

24 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Why ? If a teacher isn’t in one of the at risk groups then they should be in line with everyone else. NHS, fire and police services should be the only people getting vaccinated ahead of the priority lists imo. 

With the recent outbreaks in Scottish prisons and the subsequent expansion of the virus into the community (prison officers go home after their shifts, after all), perhaps it might be a good idea to vaccinate prisoners if this hasn't been done so already. How about those in food processing plants too? In fact, those associated with any setting which has proven to be an effective superspreader.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

With the recent outbreaks in Scottish prisons and the subsequent expansion of the virus into the community (prison officers go home after their shifts, after all), perhaps it might be a good idea to vaccinate prisoners if this hasn't been done so already. How about those in food processing plants too? In fact, those associated with any setting which has proven to be an effective superspreader.

Students too?

The 11 West of Scotland Health Board areas with persistent high numbers from the start?

4 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Students too?

The 11 West of Scotland Health Board areas with persistent high numbers from the start?

Kickbackers too next? 🙂

Just now, DETTY29 said:

Students too?

The latter is an interesting one. There is an argument to be had that priority should be given to those areas with a greater number of per-capita cases. This would of course be to the detriment of those areas which some may argue have been more careful in controlling transmission and therefore shouldn't be unfairly "punished" for having done so. In other words, it could make sense but would probably generate a political shitstorm.

1 minute ago, Gards said:

Kickbackers too next? 🙂

Those with "jambo" in their usernames going first. Or, if you think that unfair, those with colours in their usernames.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Those with "jambo" in their usernames going first. Or, if you think that unfair, those with colours in their usernames.

:greatpost:

1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

I think it will be simpler and quicker and just as if not more effective to just go down through the age groups, it won't be too long until everyone has been jagged up once at least.

Probably. It has just been disappointing to see us make such good progress and then the recent outbreaks in the prisons momentarily feck up that progress. Prisons are ripe for superspreading and you have a captive audience for your on-site vaccination efforts. In fact I would surprised if all prisoners and staff haven't been vaccinated already - it makes complete sense. Food-processing plants are similar. Get a vaccination team in there on-site, get everybody done. So, as well as general vaccination centres, each health board would have "A-team" squads vaccinating specific groups on-site. Just an idea.

Nucky Thompson
55 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

But, I agree, Supermarkets are probably the worst. 

I'm just back from Tesco at Corstorphine and it was pandemonium. Not enough staff at the tills and people blocking the bottom of every aisle. 

The old people now think that they are bullet proof and are barging you out the road to get to the shelves.

The reduced shelf was something else, folk just about climbing on each others backs to get a couple of pence off :lol:

I would hate to see what it's like this afternoon

6 minutes ago, Barack said:

Prisoners have got more luxuries than some law-abiding citizens.

Covid-19 is a fair trade off, imo.

We're trying to protect the general public from outbreak re-transmission here, it's not about the prisoners. It will be interesting to see how long it takes East Ayrshire to recover from the most recent outbreak.

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

*Not what I've read and heard, just this morning. But, I agree, Supermarkets are probably the worst. 

I know someone who tested positive on Monday. Zero contacts apart from his gf who tested negative. Test and protect people said most of the calls they were taking now were people who hadnt been anywhere except from the shops. 

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm just back from Tesco at Corstorphine and it was pandemonium. Not enough staff at the tills and people blocking the bottom of every aisle. 

The old people now think that they are bullet proof and are barging you out the road to get to the shelves.

The reduced shelf was something else, folk just about climbing on each others backs to get a couple of pence off :lol:

The bullet-proof  auld coffin dodgers and shielders should be returning the favours and going out to get our shopping now. Selfish *****. 

Malinga the Swinga
21 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Vaccinate officers, but prisoners can be last, after everyone on outside been done. 

Their own fault they are inside. 

Malinga the Swinga
4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Guy at my work saying the same thing. Oldies pushing past people in aisles and standing together in groups chatting outside. No doubt will get worse when more have had 2nd jabs and think they are immortal. 

3 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Guy at my work saying the same thing. Oldies pushing past people in aisles and standing together in groups chatting outside. No doubt will get worse when more have had 2nd jabs and think they are immortal. 

I await the red tops chastising them as covidiots...

Nucky Thompson
17 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

In the past Sturgeon could rely on the support of the oldies for tougher restrictions, but I don't think that will last much longer.

'I've had my jab, now open the fecking bingo'

15 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

In the past Sturgeon could rely on the support of the oldies for tougher restrictions, but I don't think that will last much longer.

Wants to go to work, uni, see friends, see family - selfish 

Wants yellow label ham hock at the supermarket and to get the blotter out at Gala - let's wait and see what the narrative is on that

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

We're trying to protect the general public from outbreak re-transmission here, it's not about the prisoners. It will be interesting to see how long it takes East Ayrshire to recover from the most recent outbreak.

If West Lothian is anything to go by re HMP Addiewell, then the adjacent neighbourhoods are showing increased case numbers, e.g. in Whitburn and Blackburn, but I don't know where most of the staff are based

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I've got 3 pending delivery orders with Tesco.  Book the slots weeks ahead now.  Going to the supermarket is harrowing.

In what way?

manaliveits105
42 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

:gok:

11 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Until all over 18’s are fully vaccinated I can’t see any pubs reopening. And football stadia until all are vaccinated. 

No fit healthy 18 - 40 needs to be vaccinated . Utter drivel 

4 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

There is no evidence as we can't prove a negative.  As I say though, "arguably", and it has been argued by some scientists, locking down and suppressing the virus has caused it to mutate in other ways. Not locking down may have resulted in it eventually weakening through mutation. We will never know. Lockdown though was a "fag packet" decision that has had grave consequences too, in terms of missed GP appointments and diagnoses,  cancelled cancer treatments and operations, mental health issues and the economic carnage. Not to mention the plight of dementia payments whose early deaths have been caused by lack of stimulation through human visits, contact etc. The daily coronavirus stats should also have been contextualised rather than used to cause fear and panic. How many people in the country know, for example, that 12k die every week of every year in the UK?

Unfortunately some of this are just fixated on corona related deaths and sadly view it as collateral damage the countless thousands of deaths of others who didn’t get their cancer treatment etc 

4 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

I think it is a term that is not only an insult to the hundreds of thousands who have died during this pandemic, but also those who have been working tirelessly to care for those in who require hospital treatment, also the work of the brilliant people who have brought us vaccines to help combat this disease. Not to mention the counties individual sacrifices we have all been asked to make, including those who's health and lives have been damaged by the knock on effects of Covid.

Calling it a casedemic is canceling the millions/billions of negative outcomes this has seen all over the world, it is the terminology of a denier.

“ casedemic “ is the appropriate term to use cause that is what it is . 

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

What’s a “ reduced shelf “ ? 😎

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Vaccinate officers, but prisoners can be last, after everyone on outside been done. 

Their own fault they are inside. 

Harsh 

1 hour ago, Barack said:

Push them over. They'll soon find out their hips aren't immortal.

:sadrobbo:

😂😂😂

What’s the issue about supermarkets ? Been going since the begging of this shit and not found them a problem as long as masked up ! 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

What’s the issue about supermarkets ? Been going since the begging of this shit and not found them a problem as long as masked up ! 

I enjoy going now. I was wary back in March/April last year but I go as often as I can now just to remind me there's life outside my house and to feel alive. The busier the better imo.

23 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I've got 3 pending delivery orders with Tesco.  Book the slots weeks ahead now.  Going to the supermarket is harrowing.

It may not suit everyone to do so, but I go to the supermarket at 9-10pm and it's usually pretty quiet then.

Footballfirst
16 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

1 in 180 is good. 

Some good, some bad in today's numbers.

Good - national infection survey, hospital beds, positivity rate, deaths (good-)

Bad - case numbers, ICU use.

13 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I enjoy going now. I was wary back in March/April last year but I go as often as I can now just to remind me there's life outside my house and to feel alive. The busier the better imo.

Yeah similar to me last year but now I don’t give a toss ! It’s like a night out to me now . It’s a highlight of the week ! 

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Funnily enough I got my NHS 'blue envelope' today, get microchiped a week on Tuesday.  👍

4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Funnily enough I got my NHS 'blue envelope' today, get microchiped a week on Tuesday.  👍

Great to hear, J-J. Welcome to the botnet. ;)

31 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yeah similar to me last year but now I don’t give a toss ! It’s like a night out to me now . It’s a highlight of the week ! 

When you think about it, it's pretty sad but I just enjoy getting out and there being a bit of activity and a 'crowd'. Highlight for me is when I treat myself to the Sainsbury's slightly further from me than Tesco...a few more months and I'll be pressing a shirt for that sort of extravaganza 🤣😂

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Gave up on Tesco, 3 week wait down here (from Galashiels), yet I can get Sainsbury's (from Straiton) within a day or two.

33 minutes ago, Taffin said:

When you think about it, it's pretty sad but I just enjoy getting out and there being a bit of activity and a 'crowd'. Highlight for me is when I treat myself to the Sainsbury's slightly further from me than Tesco...a few more months and I'll be pressing a shirt for that sort of extravaganza 🤣😂

:D

5 hours ago, Victorian said:

He's off his chump.  Often comes out with this anti-science,  Teletubbies mumbo jumbo.  Lockdown bad mutation booo,  nae lockdown friendly mutation yaaay.

It's pseudo-scientific misinformation tailored to suit an agenda and a particular audience.  The gullible are easily snared.

You know, I don't have an issue with the anti lockdown arguments on the acceptance that there is some scientific basis to it i.e. what happens to transmission in lockdown and what will happen if we ease restrictions.

Lockdowns are a blunt tool to cut down transmission but should be used to plan and anticipate the easing of restrictions so that we minimise the health and economic impacts when we do come out of lockdown. The issue to me is repeated lockdowns and all the devastating impact that has on mental health and people's jobs.

There is a discussion to be had on when we do ease restrictions and avoid another lockdown, but claiming that lockdowns are arguably more likely to cause mutations than letting the virus roam free, has to be backed up. If it were true, then we would need to have a fundamentally different approach pretty damn soon and hence we need a bit more detail than "some scientists have said".

Scottish numbers: 19 February 2021

Summary

• 885 new cases of COVID-19 reported [+200]
  • 23,231 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 4.4% of these were positive [+1,951; +0.6%]
  • 31 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [-26]
  • 98 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+3]
  • 1,222 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-39]
  • 1,386,152 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 29,015 have received their second dose [+31,186; +4,846]

4 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Sorry to labour the point; who are these "some scientists"?

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Wasn't my turn to walk the dog today so took a trip to Lidl to buy some stir fry for lunch, such is the adrenaline seeking high lifestyle I now lead.

Sad to report that their "cheap sh1t selection of non food curiosities" was pretty boring and all I came away bar my lunch, was some cheap crap that turns your bath water into slime, which will amuse my daughter for 10 minutes.

It's probably been said already, but we really should get Lidl checkout staff dolling out the vaccine. You always feel like you're hindering them when you struggle to keep up with the frenetic scanning.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic