Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Scottish numbers: 16 January 2021

Summary

• 1,753 new cases of COVID-19 reported [-407]
  • 24,314 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 8.4% of these were positive [-10,618; +0.9%]
  • 78 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [+17]
  • 145 people are in intensive care with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+4]
  • 1,863 people are in hospital with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+3]
  • 224,840 people have received their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccination and 3,331 have received their second dose [=; =]

Note: I have no idea why those vaccination figures haven't increased today. It will probably due to the data not being available or mistakenly not being applied to the report.

I'm sure I heard it said at a briefing that no numbers would be announced at the weekend.  The UK figures however, may include Scottish numbers, but we will have to wait a couple of hours for them.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

I'm sure I heard it said at a briefing that no numbers would be announced at the weekend.  The UK figures however, may include Scottish numbers, but we will have to wait a couple of hours for them.

Ah, ok. Cheers FF. :thumb:

J.T.F.Robertson
6 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Chicago for me... Right, back on topic..

Still stickin' with that lot? Admirable stuff! ;)

Walked through town today not that many changes . A few coffee places had queues or people standing about chatting. All the Greggs seemed closed which was surprising. A couple of pubs doing takeaway pints but big signs imploring folk only to drink it indoors

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Ha! Was cursing the 'hawks last night when they almost spoilt my bet. 

I was cursing them for different reasons, however, illness and injury to key playe...wait a minute the Blackhawks are the Hearts of the NHL :( 

37 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Still stickin' with that lot? Admirable stuff! ;)

Character building, between them and Hearts I'll be full of character, depressed but full of character :( 

Weakened Offender
2 hours ago, the general said:

Walked through town today not that many changes . A few coffee places had queues or people standing about chatting. All the Greggs seemed closed which was surprising. A couple of pubs doing takeaway pints but big signs imploring folk only to drink it indoors

Jolly Judge was doing pints yesterday. 

3 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Switzerland are planning to have a referendum on lockdowns. The are going to hold one about removing the govts power to impose lockdown measures. 

It’s probably worth noting Switzerland hold referendum over a lot of things, you basically only need to get so many signatures on a petition to trigger one.

Apart from Million, Billion & Trillionaires...who gives a ***k about the worlds ultimate fence sitters?

Edited by OBE

38 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Jolly Judge was doing pints yesterday. 

Yesterday was the last day for a few before the new laws came in today

11 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Big crowd at Green Bay for the playoffs and that's with the USA ravaged with covid.

We'll be back at Tynie to celebrate clinching the title. Events will move quickly as the vaccinate programme picks up pace imo. 👍

Nucky Thompson
4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

We'll be back at Tynie to celebrate clinching the title. Events will move quickly as the vaccinate programme picks up pace imo. 👍

I really hope so mate. I'm cracking up with all this shit.

Mental health is really taking a back seat to the SG strategy 

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I doubt that outdoor sports events with reasonable precautions taken - not a free-for-all, before the usual suspects start - would contribute in any real way to infection rates. Well done the Septics for allowing fans in some states.

exactly

18 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Interesting country with a unique mix of overlapping cultures and languages. Generally a progressive people, but not afraid to go their own way. Most Swiss - normal folk, not rich - I've met have been polite, confident people with good knowledge of the world.

Unfortunately my only visit there is a complete blur (Basel in 2004!).

I was there too Jonesy. I remember it being cold but a fresh cold. Unfortunately,  can't remember much about the place due to the beer but there were trams iirc😂. And I'm sure, in the airport, it was exit left for France, right for Switzerland

29 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I really hope so mate. I'm cracking up with all this shit.

Mental health is really taking a back seat to the SG strategy 

I know NT. There has to be a road map out of this shit soon tbh. 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Interesting country with a unique mix of overlapping cultures and languages. Generally a progressive people, but not afraid to go their own way. Most Swiss - normal folk, not rich - I've met have been polite, confident people with good knowledge of the world.

Unfortunately my only visit there is a complete blur (Basel in 2004!).

Agree. Its a country which goes its own way .  Good on them. Not stuck to any historical allegiances . hatreds or ties like the UK.  Ive been to Zurich and Basle. Both great cities although very expensive. 

Captain Sausage

Churches and other religious institutions can gtf. 

If schools are closed, it would be obscene to open up churches, mosques, etc. 

Without starting on the fact that it’s not essential to do it in person (do it online), the demographics that attend religious institutions is pretty closely related to the demographic that gets pumped by COVID. 

20 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Rabb claiming all over 18’s in U.K. will be jabbed by September. Some papers claiming could be done by June. 

Sufficient supplies would make it entirely possible to do by June.  

32 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Churches and other religious institutions can gtf. 

If schools are closed, it would be obscene to open up churches, mosques, etc. 

Without starting on the fact that it’s not essential to do it in person (do it online), the demographics that attend religious institutions is pretty closely related to the demographic that gets pumped by COVID. 

That's a number of months now that my parents have been having their church services online. It works fine for them. Early on in the pandemic, the local minister went around all the congregation members who were on their own and tried to ensure that they were set up with the technical equipment and know-how to allow her to keep in communication with them during the crisis. The church has a very busy WhatsApp group for example. For Christmas they sent everyone some food and party hats etc., and then held a party online. They'll be doing similar for Burns Night, sending everyone haggis. There's no need for them to be physically mingling during a pandemic which would make it dangerous for them to do so.

Heard it said on the radio while I was driving in Oklahoma today that the experts are forecasting another 100,000 dead in the US by coronavirus in the next 3 weeks alone.

Ainsley Harriott

Not long until the budget will be announced I dread to think what we are facing in tax increases to pay for this shit show.

20 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Not long until the budget will be announced I dread to think what we are facing in tax increases to pay for this shit show.

A new settlement of the portfolio of taxation is the way to pay for it.  Everyone should now be looking forward to a future of all people paying a fair and sustainable share of the burden.  Ordinary working people and Tory enablers and all points in between.

Post-crisis,  this is the absolutely ideal time to start a gradual shift away from the self entitled culture of low personal taxation towards a fairer settlement where the country can properly fund all public services to a gold standard,  with finances to spare.

Captain Sausage
7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

A new settlement of the portfolio of taxation is the way to pay for it.  Everyone should now be looking forward to a future of all people paying a fair and sustainable share of the burden.  Ordinary working people and Tory enablers and all points in between.

Post-crisis,  this is the absolutely ideal time to start a gradual shift away from the self entitled culture of low personal taxation towards a fairer settlement where the country can properly fund all public services to a gold standard,  with finances to spare.

Totally agree. 

Hopefully a simpler tax system that enables it. None of this self employed people paying themselves dividends, offshore tax loopholes and corporations pulling their weight too. 

Maybe I’m delusional but I absolutely don’t mind paying more tax, if it feels like everyone is working together. 

Ainsley Harriott
9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Do you genuinely believe that scotland suffers from low personal taxation? When you say ordinary working people would that be someone earning 49k finding themselves in a 40% tax bracket?

I dont see our public services as underfunded more mismanaged 

36 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You Sir are indeed a truly remarkable character, an expert in absolutely everything.

The world needs to know you exist imo.

38 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Post brexit the Tories have no excuses for not collecting tax from those companies who were writing off everything to some small office in Luxembourg or Ireland and paying sod all here.

Start collecting that money and you solve half your problem.

17 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Do you genuinely believe that scotland suffers from low personal taxation? When you say ordinary working people would that be someone earning 49k finding themselves in a 40% tax bracket?

I dont see our public services as underfunded more mismanaged 

More or less the response I expected.  £49,000 paying tax on the top slice of earnings at 40%?  Yes of course.  Nobody will ever provide anything that comes close to an argument that £49,000 is not a very comfortable level of income.  A small part of that income being taxed at a higher rate is entirely fair and affordable.

The comment about public services is nothing but an excuse.  A bogus cliche to justify the status quo.  The new settlement should be to prevent wastage,  increase efficiency and properly fund.  All in conjunction together.

Everyone will soon be getting their lives back.  For lots of people it will be like getting a second chance at life.  Society needs to ensure that the eternal contract of mutual enablement between the Tories and their core vote does not place the burden of payment on the least well off and future generations to a disproportionate amount.

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

A small part of that income being taxed at a higher rate is entirely fair and affordable.

A facet that often seems to be neglected. They're not taking 40% of the entire 49K

Cant see too many tax rises on the horizon. Its too early  for that. Well need to be on the road to economic recovery before anything major. Any increases will be ones that don't make too many headlines.

Just now, Candy said:

Cant see too many tax rises on the horizon. Its too early  for that. Well need to be on the road to economic recovery before anything major. Any increases will be ones that don't make too many headlines.

It should start now and be a gradual process.  There will never be a better time to introduce a reformed tax settlement.  

Governor Tarkin
9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Nobody will ever provide anything that comes close to an argument that £49,000 is not a very comfortable level of income. 

49 grand is a decent wedge, but ot isn't a very comfortable income if there's only one earner in the household, a couple of kids, and a mortgate with Edinburgh house prices.

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Gone said:

Wonder if Branson and co might pay a little more tax to the UK 😬

Doubt it.

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It should start now and be a gradual process.  There will never be a better time to introduce a reformed tax settlement.  

Depends what the tax is. There's an argument for lowering VAT

Ainsley Harriott
15 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

A facet that often seems to be neglected. They're not taking 40% of the entire 49K

No they take 40% of anything over 43k. Most countries it's people on 6 figure salaries that start hitting 40% tax brackets. The 49k was an example of someone on a fairly average salary hitting high tax brackets.

They should leagalise weed and tax it rather than see all the profits go to dealers. It's turned into a very nice little earner indeed for the US states who have legalised.

Colorado made far more from it than they had anticipated. So much so that they apparently didn't know what to do with the surplus.

Edited by JFK-1

Ainsley Harriott
9 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

49 grand is a decent wedge, but ot isn't a very comfortable income if there's only one earner in the household, a couple of kids, and a mortgate with Edinburgh house prices.

Exactly the average house price in Edinburgh is now 320k. Trouble is the scottish government tax us all like we live in Castlemilk where 320k would buy you a country estate.

4 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Exactly the average house price in Edinburgh is now 320k. Trouble is the scottish government tax us all like we live in Castlemilk where 320k would buy you a country estate.

Would someone with £49,000 income get a £320,000 mortgage? 

Seymour M Hersh
19 minutes ago, Gone said:

Wonder if Branson and co might pay a little more tax to the UK 😬

The EU loophole for them might be closed I suppose. 

Ainsley Harriott
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Would someone with £49,000 income get a £320,000 mortgage? 

No you multiply your salary by 4 then add your deposit.

2 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

No you multiply your salary by 4 then add your deposit.

👍OK, I thought the banks were going back to their old ways, for a minute. 

1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

Just heard of a second person I know catching Covid about a week to ten days after being vaccinated. These are both frontline workers who could have caught it anytime so I think it is more just bad luck, but it just shows we need to be careful for the few weeks until immunity kicks in. 

Sure I heard that it takes around 2 weeks for it to properly work. Just unlucky

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

No, isn’t that kind of the point though. 50k isn’t really enough to live in Edinburgh. it’s a long way short of even getting you a ‘average’ house in the city or to be honest and most the surrounding areas. 

Pretty shite. But I expect its the same all over the planet. High end London must be pretty off limits for 99. 9% of the common people. 

With the new self assessment due date on the 31st of January, will they change the eligibility date for the self employed grants. Anyone? 

25 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The reason it's comfortable is that it provides the luxury of having choices and options.  If a one income,  two child family chooses to mortgage up to the hilt then that's a choice.  It's still a level of income that can afford a little bit more tax and then mortgage decisions can be taken on the basis of the take home earnings.  

Let's also not forget that having and servicing a mortgage is not lost money.  It's a form of investment and saving for the future.

You will always comment on these things based on your own personal situation. Someone that earns more than 49k understands there situation better than someone who isnt in that position and vice versa. The same as comments about public sector is badly mismanaged.  That is such a generalisation. Unless you have worked in every part of public sector you cant possible know. Parts of the public sector are so badly underfunded it is amazing what they are able to do. But again I have worked in private and public sector and am commenting from my situation. A little knowledge is dangerous. 

Ainsley Harriott
31 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

👍OK, I thought the banks were going back to their old ways, for a minute. 

If anything they are going the other way lots now asking for 20% deposits as opposed to the old 10%.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic