Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

The GP's are in some cases taking advantage of Covid to avoid meetings with patients

You have to fill in on line forms, be called back (maybe) then you may get lucky....taken 6 months for my father to see a GP and that only after threats of complaints and MP action 

So we'll see on Monday what happens but my experience up to now is attempts to fob you off with nurse appointments even when you tell them in advance that is not what is required

They then get tested for things they are not worried about with all the focus on covid as if anyone who is ill must carry the virus

So far it has been a waste of resources that in normal times first steps could be dealt with by simply attending an open surgery

Covid has caused rational thought at times to fly out the window and the impact on non covid patients largely ignored so those in charge can look good to the public when making claims about the virus....sometimes you feel the middle management are more concerned with the politics than the actual public

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Next month or so will determine if we can start getting back to normal, they are doing a study, to see if the vaccines prevent transmission. 

I'm very confident they will, and the now they believe, being vaccinated gives you at least 6 months of immunity, I would wager it gives you immunity between 2years possibly lifetime. 

If you do your research on Sars which is very similar to cov19, they have been testing people that caught Sars back in 2002,and they are still showing antibodies and t cell immunity 18years on. 

3 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Next month or so will determine if we can start getting back to normal, they are doing a study, to see if the vaccines prevent transmission. 

I'm very confident they will, and the now they believe, being vaccinated gives you at least 6 months of immunity, I would wager it gives you immunity between 2years possibly lifetime. 

If you do your research on Sars which is very similar to cov19, they have been testing people that caught Sars back in 2002,and they are still showing antibodies and t cell immunity 18years on. 

That's definitely glass half full🤞🏻.

I like it 👍🏻

4 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Good post. Nice to hear about sars vaccine. 👍

Big U-turn from the plumbers who yesterday were saying "no jab-no job". Now saying no, no existing staff won't be forced but it will be put into new employees contracts.

Public backlash or taken legal advice? 

Weakened Offender
12 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Dealt with a patient today with a spinal tumour which was far more advanced when treatment started than it should have been because his gp kept telling him his sore back was just muscular, ct/mri was only done when the patients legs gave way from under him.

Hearing of more and more things missed because of covid and thats way before you look at the mental health issues!!!

My mother in law (at the time) died in 1991. The 'sore back' the doctor told her she'd had for 6 months turned out to be cancer. 

Happens a lot. 

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

My mother in law (at the time) died in 1991. The 'sore back' the doctor told her she'd had for 6 months turned out to be cancer. 

Happens a lot. 

My best mate at uni died just after we graduated in 2011. The 'sore back' the doctor told him he'd had for 6 months turned out to be Ewing's Sarcoma.

The fact he was ashen grey and had lost about 3 stone didn't register with them.

When they did finally diagnose it was too late to stop it spreading throughout his body. The ******* fought it for three years before finally slipping away at home, wearing his favourite Hawian shirt.

He was only 27.

It's actually frightening how often it happens, and it'll be happening a lot more for the next wee while, unfortunately.

I'd say that if there is something worrying you, ffs, be persistent.

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

My best mate at uni died just after we graduated in 2011. The 'sore back' the doctor told him he'd had for 6 months turned out to be Ewing's Sarcoma.

The fact he was ashen grey and had lost about 3 stone didn't register with them.

When they did finally diagnose it was too late to stop it spreading throughout his body. The ******* fought it for three years before finally slipping away at home, wearing his favourite Hawian shirt.

He was only 27.

It's actually frightening how often it happens, and it'll be happening a lot more for the next wee while, unfortunately.

I'd say that if there is something worrying you, ffs, be persistent.

Absolutely. Keep at them. 

That's a terrible story, GT. What a waste of a life. 

6 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Is that, that paddy pimlico guy? He’s a strange dude.

Though he’s been in court before around employee rights, so suspect his lawyers have set him straight. 

In fairness he won’t be the only employer thinking similar and he probably has a point in terms of safety in his workplace/staff/customers etc. 

Though consideration I feel he’s probably doing it for a bit of free publicity🤷🏻‍♂️

Not sure of his name, but yeh, seems a bit eccentric.

The bit in bold is my thinking too, however having a look at his companies Twitter page suggests it may have backfired a bit and they're now doing a considerable climb down by the looks of it.

Companies who go down that route better have very deep pockets as they will be dragged through the courts where I just can't see them winning...unless it's already in their contracts for existing staff that they must take whatever vaccines the company decide they want them to take which I'd doubt it in many.

Saying that one of the two Brazilian variants have been found in the UK. The ones they said there was no reason to stop flights from Brazil because of as people had to quarantine. 

50 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Happens a lot. 

My mother was same.

Sore hip for months, GP said sciatica.

Then couldn't keep any food down and eventually taken in, and only lived for a few weeks.  Cancer had spread from inside her bones.  Is it GP's fault when it was sciatica symptoms?

Of course with it being cancer, that is not what is clear as the real cause of death on her death certificate.

And those last 48 hours will haunt me forever, especially when the nurse said 'talk to her, she can hear you' as she fought for every last breath and body shut diwn.

Why I hate, no thouroughly despise these 'Wallace Mercer, Scott Brown's sister' cretins.

Of course millions go through similar, just brings it home the first real time that process and real grief hits you.

Edited by DETTY29

Grant Shapps this morning: we don't think the Brazil variant is in the UK.

Breaking news now: The Brazil variant is in the UK.

Edited by Sooperstar

2 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Insane isnt it. Could have stopped flights last week but no , its all good they say , we will make people quarantine at some point , we can’t rush these things as you know business. 

Not saying that would have stopped it as it may have been here before , but you know what I mean

Edited by sadj

3 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

When Steedman said yesterday that this virus just seems to always be one step ahead, there is a low bar of intelligence in some places for it to be ahead of...

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, sadj said:

Insane isnt it. Could have stopped flights last week but no , its all good they say , we will make people quarantine at some point , we can’t rush these things as you know business. 

Not saying that would have stopped it as it may have been here before , but you know what I mean

Too little to late as usual from them.

Weakened Offender
9 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

My mother was same.

Sore hip for months, GP said sciatica.

Then couldn't keep any food down and eventually taken in, and only lived for a few weeks.  Cancer had spread from inside her bones.  Is it GP's fault when it was sciatica symptoms?

Of course with it being cancer, that is not what is clear as the real cause of death on her death certificate.

And those last 48 hours will haunt me forever, especially when the nurse said 'talk to her, she can hear you' as she fought for every last breath and body shut diwn.

Why I hate, no thouroughly despise these 'Wallace Mercer, Scott Brown's sister' cretins.

I think the anguish that a wrong diognosis or ten causes often overpowers the grief of losing a loved one. That anger lasts a long time. 

Sad reading pal and totally agree with your closing sentence. 

5 minutes ago, sadj said:

The scientist who has found the case reckons it's been here a while.

3 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

The scientist who has found the case reckons it's been here a while.

Quite possibly , just feels like other countries close their borders to us quick smart as we faff about continually 

6 minutes ago, sadj said:

Quite possibly , just feels like other countries close their borders to us quick smart as we faff about continually 

Is it any wonder with the constant mixed and clearly wrong messages that our governments are constantly giving us.

Just when you think they couldn't be any more incompetent they surprise you.

Why don't they just close the borders to all overseas travellers bar freight until the vaccine is rolled out?  At least if you had done that you wouldn't be in this bloody position.

Edited by frankblack

13 hours ago, heartstastic said:

They are currently breaking all 15 of the signs of an abusive relationship below.

gfff.jpg

From my own  experience, I would say this is nothing like being in an abusive relationship.

7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Is it any wonder with the constant mixed and clearly wrong messages that our governments are constantly giving us.

Just when you think they couldn't be any more incompetent they surprise you.

Why don't they just close the borders to all overseas travellers bar freight until the vaccine is rolled out?  At least if you had done that you wouldn't be in this bloody position.

i think no matter what side of the political spectrum you fall on we are all agreed the fact the borders weren’t closed in March was a massive balls up

The Real Maroonblood
15 minutes ago, sadj said:

This.

58 minutes ago, sadj said:

We should’ve stopped ALL flights back in March but we didn’t , now we know of two different variants, Sth African and Brazilian but STIL we allow flights in , were an island we have the perfect position to stop it coming in , but no we continue to blunder through 

10 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Good news re the small firm business interruption insurance court victory. Should safeguard a significant number of livelihoods.

On one hand yes but on the other I wonder how many insurance jobs will go so shareholders don’t lose out on dividends ?.

Even when we come out of this the world won’t be the same , those of us without jobs will struggle for a long time sadly 

11 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Good news re the small firm business interruption insurance court victory. Should safeguard a significant number of livelihoods.

Good news indeed. 

Essential travel only.

Ok. 

Quarantine (not this home self isolation compliance) in hotel, paid for by you.

3 basic meals a day.

Let's see how essential your travel really is.

Leitch calling the travel restrictions draconian.  Not draconian enough.

Time for scientists, medical officers, clinicians to go off political script and lay it on the line at these briefings.

Edited by DETTY29

1 hour ago, sadj said:

Seemingly there hasn't been any direct flights between the UK & Brazil for at least a week, so they were saying on the news this morning, of course nothing to stop you flying to Lisbon for example and then onto the UK.

13 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Time for scientists, medical officers, clinicians to go off political script and lay it on the line at these briefings.

They would just be accused of scaremongering, remember when Whitty & Valance warned about the 50,000 daily infections, they were laughed at, now look at things.  Of course it's because of the new variant but what they said did come true.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Wee Jean Jeanie, ex-card carrying commie, fresh from revealing sensitive security details about the vaccine, trying to justify holding a devolved administration election in May. 😂. Apparently,  it's our "democratic right" to vote. Given that she and her administration have stripped away most of our freedoms and liberties in the last year, I think an election is the last "right" people give a flying feck about. Open the bars, restaurants and coffee shops, pet, and we'll discuss it from there.

Ope

5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Wee Jean Jeanie, ex-card carrying commie, fresh from revealing sensitive security details about the vaccine, trying to justify holding a devolved administration election in May. 😂. Apparently,  it's our "democratic right" to vote. Given that she and her administration have stripped away most of our freedoms and liberties in the last year, I think an election is the last "right" people give a flying feck about. Open the bars, restaurants and coffee shops, pet, and we'll discuss it from there.

Ope

Nah yer alright. I'll wait.

Francis Albert
31 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Seemingly there hasn't been any direct flights between the UK & Brazil for at least a week, so they were saying on the news this morning, of course nothing to stop you flying to Lisbon for example and then onto the UK.

The last point is of course right (although I think Portugal flights may have been stopped but for Lisbon substitute any of hundreds of international flights and other international travel). Unless every country in the world closes its borders immediately a new variant appears it will inevitably spread. It is now thought the so called British variant had been in circulation in many countries before it was discovered here and of course now it is everywhere and may have been present outside the UK earlier than it was discovered here and not even originated here.

Seems a major faux pas by the SG putting out the vaccine supplies.

Mind you we have lost access to the EU police database and 150k (fingerprints, DNA) of our own records this week, which isn't a security concern of course.

Edited by DETTY29

13 minutes ago, the general said:

Missed part of the briefing

How many Scots were vaccinated yesterday?

Thanks

Not sure how many done yesterday but 224,840 done overall up to yesterday.

15 minutes ago, the general said:

Thanks

Not sure, but names & addresses will probably appear on the Scottish Govt website shortly

15 minutes ago, the general said:

Thanks

Just now, steve123 said:

Not sure how many done yesterday but 224,840 done overall up to yesterday.

208207 yesterday so the fairly steady 16.5k per day this week.

Still big ramp ups to get to 400k pw by end Feb

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

We should’ve stopped ALL flights back in March but we didn’t , now we know of two different variants, Sth African and Brazilian but STIL we allow flights in , were an island we have the perfect position to stop it coming in , but no we continue to blunder through 

This.

27 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

208207 yesterday so the fairly steady 16.5k per day this week.

Still big ramp ups to get to 400k pw by end Feb

Don't follow how many people have had the vaccine but if they are doing 16k  at the moment then no danger are they going to be doing 400k in 7 weeks 

Dagger Is Back
49 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The last point is of course right (although I think Portugal flights may have been stopped but for Lisbon substitute any of hundreds of international flights and other international travel). Unless every country in the world closes its borders immediately a new variant appears it will inevitably spread. It is now thought the so called British variant had been in circulation in many countries before it was discovered here and of course now it is everywhere and may have been present outside the UK earlier than it was discovered here and not even originated here.

Absolutely spot on. I just don't get why they don't close all borders to things others than freight or at the very least have state controlled quarantine facilities maintained at the visitors expense.

Scottish numbers: 15 January 2021

Summary

• 2,160 new cases of COVID-19 reported [+453]
  • 34,932 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 7.5% of these were positive [+9,551; -0.8%]
  • 61 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [-3]
  • 141 people are in intensive care with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-1]
  • 1,860 people are in hospital with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+31]
  • 224,840 people have received their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccination and 3,331 have received their second dose [+16,633; +141]

15 minutes ago, theshed said:

Don't follow how many people have had the vaccine but if they are doing 16k  at the moment then no danger are they going to be doing 400k in 7 weeks 

It seems a challenge and that is capacity to do but not number done. E.g per the redacted Vaccination plan we aren't getting that number of supplies on a weekly basis.

But it's a massive jump.  People are going to have to play ball too and when they get their invite treat it like an urgent dr. appt priority to go.

Edited by DETTY29

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Yes, just because it was first identified in Britain doesn't mean it actually originated here, same applies to the South African, Brazilian and goodness knows how many other variants there are out there.

The latest 7-day per-capita case rates around the councils, based on reporting date.

7-day per-100,000 cases            
Council Area Tier Previous Today Yesterday     13 Jan 12 Jan 11 Jan ... 20 Dec
Scotland     240 245 -5   262 264 275 ... 98
Inverclyde 4 2 370 389 -19   411 401 428 ... 59
Glasgow City 4 3 363 374 -11   383 380 383 ... 129
North Lanarkshire 4 3 357 362 -5   395 393 396 ... 119
Renfrewshire 4 3 324 323 +1   366 386 393 ... 116
East Dunbartonshire 4 3 305 286 +19   279 269 283 ... 70
Dumfries & Galloway 4 1 297 322 -25   334 348 376 ... 32
North Ayrshire 4 3 289 304 -15   320 337 324 ... 175
South Lanarkshire 4 3 278 289 -11   299 281 311 ... 120
West Dunbartonshire 4 3 277 272 +5   250 244 268 ... 120
East Ayrshire 4 3 276 269 +7   289 298 311 ... 153
Clackmannanshire 4 3 264 233 +31   248 229 262 ... 148
Dundee City 4 3 261 273 -12   313 313 344 ... 113
Aberdeen City 4 3 257 254 +3   250 266 272 ... 163
Falkirk 4 2 231 232 -1   265 272 289 ... 60
South Ayrshire 4 3 226 218 +8   228 251 251 ... 98
Perth and Kinross 4 3 222 236 -14   249 245 264 ... 126
Scottish Borders 4 1 213 209 +4   241 261 260 ... 85
East Renfrewshire 4 3 203 204 -1   214 226 228 ... 101
Fife 4 3 196 199 -3   215 208 218 ... 97
Highland 4/3 1 184 174 +10   187 199 214 ... 17
Angus 4 2 176 176 0   202 222 245 ... 37
Aberdeenshire 4 3 174 186 -12   221 222 245 ... 88
Edinburgh City 4 3 170 171 -1   192 189 206 ... 109
West Lothian 4 3 166 151 +15   164 158 150 ... 83
Stirling 4 3 138 141 -3   159 157 176 ... 70
Midlothian 4 3 127 119 +8   151 156 170 ... 136
Moray 4 1 118 120 -2   135 142 154 ... 13
East Lothian 4 3 99 93 +6   108 113 130 ... 148
Argyll and Bute 4/3 2 86 85 +1   84 87 86 ... 29
Shetland Islands 3 1 83 74 +9   96 135 109 ... 0
Na h-Eileanan Siar 3 1 52 56 -4   30 30 19 ... 22
Orkney Islands 3 1 18 18 0   18 27 27 ... 0

7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Scottish numbers: 15 January 2021

Summary

• 2,160 new cases of COVID-19 reported [+453]
  • 34,932 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 7.5% of these were positive [+9,551; -0.8%]
  • 61 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [-3]
  • 141 people are in intensive care with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-1]
  • 1,860 people are in hospital with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+31]
  • 224,840 people have received their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccination and 3,331 have received their second dose [+16,633; +141]

My mate's sister got in her first and second dose within one jag this week.

To say there was a panic is an understatement.  By the medics more than the patient.

All seems to be ok so I can say this in a bit of jest but the The Sun trying to recruit a 50k Vaccination Army has disaster written all over it.

As has hanging around a famous hospital in London late afternoon and being offered one so supplies arent wasted.

18 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

All seems to be ok so I can say this in a bit of jest but the The Sun trying to recruit a 50k Vaccination Army has disaster written all over it.

giphy.gif

Edited by frankblack

Brighton Jambo

So case numbers are not dropping in any material way yet we have been in full lockdown for well over two weeks.  

I can’t see any reason why the numbers are suddenly going to start dropping to a level where we can change restrictions.  

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic