Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

CavySlaveJambo
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

A friend of mine has been diagnosed with diabetes 2 . He thinks is mainly due to doing feck all the last 10 months or so at home due to covid. 

Type 2 diabetes also has a genetic component.   So hard to say. 

Anyway on the subject the NHS really needs to stop with the one size fits all recommendations towards food.  Everyone will have one thing that suits them but it may not be the same as what is being pushed by the NHS. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, sadj said:

Saw they are monitoring the Brazilian strain but haven’t thought about stopping flights as everyone arriving has to isolate

I was being sarcastic about the Chinese maybe talking about the U.K. flu. 
Looks like more places on the banned list as the day goes on. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I am 12 stone.. which is not bad as i am 4 foot 7 !  :) 

I agree that people need to take responsibility for their health etc. Unfortunately we have a nanny state which preaches instead of educates the populace to take that responsibility.   It is laudable what the SG are trying to achieve health wise but I just think the message can be partitioning and condescending much like the oft repeated FACTS repeated ad nausea. 

As Sadj has said BMI is a silly way to measure obesity which was my point, a hypocritical one at that 😜

Some money spent on the best way to encourage people to eat more healthily would help, healthy food being cheaper than processed crap as you said would be good too. 

16 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Andy Murray tested positive.

Will Raman Bhardwag have to self isolate?

William Raman Bhardwag...who dat? 🥎

1 hour ago, sadj said:

BMI is a pile of shite when I was sitting regularly about 6% bf it told me my BMI was in its 30s. It literally just goes by weight and height.

I'm sure Chris Hoy when he was racing was classed as obese according to his BMI, and I'd think 90% of rubgy players would also be classed as obese.

Yeh, BMI index is a pile of crap.

1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Notes: UK Column is an alternative multimedia news website and associated British newspaper which was launched in January 2006.  UK Column is headquartered in Plymouth in South West England. Mike Robinson is editor of the UK Column and Brian Gerrish is the Author/Editor/Owner of the UK Column Newspaper. Further, Brian Gerrish has appeared on US conspiracy theorist Alex Jones show.

In review, UK Column uses loaded language both in their headlines and articles such as: ”Cameron and Obama’s Hired Thugs Now Butchering Their Way Through Syria.” This article, like many on the website, does not link to a single source. However, they sometimes utilize credible sources such as the NY Times, gov.uk and factually mixed sources such as the Daily Mail and conspiracy sites such as 21st Century Wire“White Helmets.” When covering USA politics the UK Column favors Donald Trump and his policies. They also promote conspiracy theories such as the New World Order, False Flag Operations, and World War 3. While the UK Column does produce credible, well-sourced news, they also promote conspiracy theories. Therefore, we rate UK Column as a Conspiracy website that is Mixed for factual reporting. (M. Huitsing 11/27/2017)

How many facepalms required ? 

:conspiracy:

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, jonesy said:

To be honest, anyone who eats junk and is then surprised that they are overweight and unwell is thicker than mince that oozes out of their crispy pancakes. 

Yes but if you can get a weeks shopping of processed crap for a lot less than healthy stuff then I have sympathy for them. There are people working full time jobs having to use food banks ffs, in a wealthy country as you say. 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'm sure Chris Hoy when he was racing was classed as obese according to his BMI, and I'd think 90% of rubgy players would also be classed as obese.

That’s what I was saying earlier on. The word obese conjures up awful images. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Cheers. It was hard to have an opinion on it all when I didn't really know if it was due to awful procurement or the government being stingy when I thought it was providing about a fiver for a kid's lunch 😂😂

Still an absolute disgrace to be sending that out as it was 

I think it might be better to just send the food vouchers to the family, as you say they can use it better as £15 should be enough to feed them enough over a week. To actually offer schools an extra £3:50 to get them to persuade families to get food parcels sent is just another part of the scandal. 

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

That’s what I was saying earlier on. The word obese conjures up awful images. 

The stereotype fatty couch potato stuffing their face with takeaways, fizzy juice, crisps & sweets all day long.

It's the same with type 2 diabetics it's because their fat, when the truth is often much much different.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The stereotype fatty couch potato stuffing their face with takeaways, fizzy juice, crisps & sweets all day long.

It's the same with type 2 diabetics it's because their fat, when the truth is often much much different.

Have you got a camera in ma hoose 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️😆

Captain Sausage
14 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

In fairness, Chris Hoy is an Olympic athlete built of pure muscle. 

Most people who use this argument are not.

If your BMI is over 30 then the overwhelming majority of the time it is because you are carrying too much weight. 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

If yer ain’t got the COVID, yer not gettin’ in. Now sling yer hook.

I've mentioned this before that it's almost 2 years now since I last had a cardiac & diabetic check-up.

Was supposed to get my annual check-ups in March 2020 but they got cancelled, so come this March it'll be 2 years as the last check-ups were done in March 2019. 

And I am far from alone in this, I'm afraid the NHS is storing up one hell of a crisis.

5 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

In fairness, Chris Hoy is an Olympic athlete built of pure muscle. 

Most people who use this argument are not.

If your BMI is over 30 then the overwhelming majority of the time it is because you are carrying too much weight. 

The point myself and others are making is that the BMI index isn't a one size fits all type of measurement, but it is all too often used as such.

Captain Sausage
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The point myself and others are making is that the BMI index isn't a one size fits all type of measurement, but it is all too often used as such.

Yeh but on a macro scale it points fairly well to the health of a country. Especially for comparison to other countries. 

Dagger Is Back
2 hours ago, Taffin said:

He's my most disliked politician ever, is my polite way of putting it.

Piers (and I've seen it online too) referred to the package though as for a family, isn't the package just to replace kids school lunches? Don't get me wrong, for £30 you should get far, far more than that but equally, do kids really need £3 worth of food for their lunch everyday, that's more than I spend on lunch and I'm not exactly eating small portions 😂😂

I don't have kids so literally have no idea, but assumed they had lower calorie requirements etc but happy to be corrected on that.

Edit: just rewatched and Piers said for a week, I'd previously seen 10 days online. If it's a week (mon-fri) then that's £6 quid a day on lunches. That's more than I spend even on a treat at the staff canteen so I'm assuming I've picked it up wrongly and it is for a family in which case £6 is not enough.

I’m not sure Taffin. I think it’s lunch for 1 kid per week. If it is, £6 a day is more than generous for a kids lunch and I’d reckon unnecessary.

Can’t possibly be for a family for a week. 

1 hour ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Type 2 diabetes also has a genetic component.   So hard to say. 

Anyway on the subject the NHS really needs to stop with the one size fits all recommendations towards food.  Everyone will have one thing that suits them but it may not be the same as what is being pushed by the NHS. 

I can trace diabetes in just one line of my family going back to a Great Grandmother who was born in 1869 and she probably got the faulty gene from her father (but I can't prove that), my grandmother, 2 of my father's siblings, my brother and at least 2 of my cousins are all type 2 diabetic, yet others in the family have no problems.

11 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Yeh but on a macro scale it points fairly well to the health of a country. Especially for comparison to other countries. 

There's nothing wrong when used like that, it's the stereotyping that pisses me off.

There's a school of thought that the current seasonal rise in Covid is similar to, and has displaced the seasonal flu. There was a stat on the latest episode of 'More Or Less' the podcast about statistics, that during the worst flu season in recent years (2017/18), 10000 people were hospitalised in England over the 28 week flu season. There are currently 10000 Covid patients being hospitalised in England every 3 days.

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

There's a school of thought that the current seasonal rise in Covid is similar to, and has displaced the seasonal flu. There was a stat on the latest episode of 'More Or Less' the podcast about statistics, that during the worst flu season in recent years (2017/18), 10000 people were hospitalised in England over the 28 week flu season. There are currently 10000 Covid patients being hospitalised in England every 3 days.

PHE have combined the covid and flu stats together since the 8th October

12 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

No.  Bad or very bad seasonal flu has always been amidst normal times and normal activity without any social distancing measures whatsoever.  The similar figures with covid is amidst very heavy social distancing.  The two are not comparable.  To properly compare we would need to see the covid state of play with no social distancing.  The figures would be many,  many times higher.

Edited by Victorian

10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

No.  Bad or very bad seasonal flu has always been amidst normal times and normal activity without any social distancing measures whatsoever.  The similar figures with covid is amidst very heavy social distancing.  The two are not comparable.  To properly compare we would need to see the covid state of play with no social distancing.  The figures would be many,  many times higher.

I agree, the point they made on the podcast is that there's an order of magnitude difference, and as you say that doesn't take Covid mitigation into account.

5 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

I agree, the point they made on the podcast is that there's an order of magnitude difference, and as you say that doesn't take Covid mitigation into account.

Also factor in that the new variants of CV are about 4 times as infectious as flu.  CV is at least twice as infectious as Spanish Flu was.

28 minutes ago, Victorian said:

And for context, the flu figures are despite the most vulnerable sector of the population being vaccinated.  Once the Covid vaccine has been fully rolled out, it will be more comparable to our normal flu season.  

Just now, Enzo Chiefo said:

And for context, the flu figures are despite the most vulnerable sector of the population being vaccinated.  Once the Covid vaccine has been fully rolled out, it will be more comparable to our normal flu season.  

Not quite.  There is a vaccinated cohort that would undoubtedly increase the seasonal flu figures if you remove the vaccination.  But the better comparison would be to compare the figures between seasonal flu and covid of the demographic that does not access the seasonal flu vaccine.

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Not quite.  There is a vaccinated cohort that would undoubtedly increase the seasonal flu figures if you remove the vaccination.  But the better comparison would be to compare the figures between seasonal flu and covid of the demographic that does not access the seasonal flu vaccine.

And you think Covid deaths, among the non-vaccinated cohort, will exceed flu deaths? Nobody reports asymptomatic flu so, for the younger age groups , flu, which can flatten you for days, will be the one to avoid getting.  Most of us have done that every year, for decades, anyway, without social distancing.  

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I've mentioned this before that it's almost 2 years now since I last had a cardiac & diabetic check-up.

Was supposed to get my annual check-ups in March 2020 but they got cancelled, so come this March it'll be 2 years as the last check-ups were done in March 2019. 

And I am far from alone in this, I'm afraid the NHS is storing up one hell of a crisis.

Dealt with a patient today with a spinal tumour which was far more advanced when treatment started than it should have been because his gp kept telling him his sore back was just muscular, ct/mri was only done when the patients legs gave way from under him.

Hearing of more and more things missed because of covid and thats way before you look at the mental health issues!!!

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

And you think Covid deaths, among the non-vaccinated cohort, will exceed flu deaths? Nobody reports asymptomatic flu so, for the younger age groups , flu, which can flatten you for days, will be the one to avoid getting.  Most of us have done that every year, for decades, anyway, without social distancing.  

We'll never really know because we'll hopefully never have to see a day when covid is allowed to exist unsuppressed.  It is about 4 times as infectious as flu and the incidence of serious disease is much higher.

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

We'll never really know because we'll hopefully never have to see a day when covid is allowed to exist unsuppressed.  It is about 4 times as infectious as flu and the incidence of serious disease is much higher.

There are a lot of differing opinions about how infectious Covid is. We hear a lot about new strains being more "transmissible" without any evidence being presented so I wouldn't rely on that stat tbh. JVT confirmed yesterday that 3m social distancing was not necessary as "it doesn't make people cough further". "It's not like the long jump". 

If Covid is to be suppressed it can only be done by natural immunity and vaccinations. Any of the measures used today, including snap lockdowns will not be justified , as any effects of unsuppressed Covid will be in the same ball park as other illnesses, with death rates  deemed "acceptable " by society at present. 

Is it morally acceptable to interview ICU patients on TV? How, exactly, does that help their recovery? Should TV cameras even be permitted access? It's played out now and obscene.

7 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

There are a lot of differing opinions about how infectious Covid is. We hear a lot about new strains being more "transmissible" without any evidence being presented so I wouldn't rely on that stat tbh. JVT confirmed yesterday that 3m social distancing was not necessary as "it doesn't make people cough further". "It's not like the long jump". 

If Covid is to be suppressed it can only be done by natural immunity and vaccinations. Any of the measures used today, including snap lockdowns will not be justified , as any effects of unsuppressed Covid will be in the same ball park as other illnesses, with death rates  deemed "acceptable " by society at present. 

There is plenty of evidence of how infectious the new variants are.  Actual scientific,  epidemiological evidence.

Last bit,  yes.  That's one reason why we should hope to never see a day when unsuppressed covid becomes a choice.

Edited by Victorian

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Is it morally acceptable to interview ICU patients on TV? How, exactly, does that help their recovery? Should TV cameras even be permitted access? It's played out now and obscene.

It's incredibly crass. I also assumed people in ICU wouldn't really be able to carry interviews but I guess my perception of ICU is wide of the mark.

I thought the zeitgeist was that all people should be free to make their own choices?  Anyone interviewed for tv would need to consent to be interviewed and broadcast.  If you don't want to see it then don't watch.

Just now, jonesy said:

I don't. But I can picture exactly what it looks like.

I feel for anyone who gets to the stage where they need support to breathe.

I also feel for everyone who's suffering as a result of the governments' measures. Their voice(s) are not heard quite so loudly on TV, I fear.

I agree.  The frustration and worry and worse of serious non covid illness sufferers must be really bad.  Let's hope enough of the NHS can be freed up to help these people asap.  

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

The whole world has gone to shit, my only question is, who has an underground bunker?

Joey Fritzl? 

39 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Dealt with a patient today with a spinal tumour which was far more advanced when treatment started than it should have been because his gp kept telling him his sore back was just muscular, ct/mri was only done when the patients legs gave way from under him.

Hearing of more and more things missed because of covid and thats way before you look at the mental health issues!!!

I have to agree, there is going to many many people whose condition/s worsen and it's not picked up when it was easy to treat through routine check-up's and also people with a new condition which isn't going to be picked up, as in the case above.

16 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Firstly, he isn't in the ICU, he is in the recovery ward.

What's obscene is the disgusting lack of empathy shown by far too many who don't see the suffering behind each death or each seriously ill person and want to play games with distorted stats. This, despite the bots and the conspiracy nutjobs all jumping onto the video on social media to spread their particular brand of callous ignorance, helps to personalise the disease and the cost and impact it has.  

My heart wrenched for the guy when he said he had to fight and stay fit for his family. 

There's a good few souls on here with Stockholm syndrome that's for sure. The governments and there response to a illness with over 99% survival rate has been bizzare, erratic and downright criminal in some cases yet some of you cheerlead these clowns for more punitive measures for something that before the days of mass media would barely have filled a few collums in newspapers across the world.

Anyone thinking any of the emergency legislation that's been introduced in the last year goes away is delusional to say the least, it's just not how governments operate.

They are currently breaking all 15 of the signs of an abusive relationship below.

gfff.jpg

120104504_10157896452927632_184798932710035303_n.jpg

Blind Citizens.jpg

13 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Firstly, he isn't in the ICU, he is in the recovery ward.

What's obscene is the disgusting lack of empathy shown by far too many who don't see the suffering behind each death or each seriously ill person and want to play games with distorted stats. This, despite the bots and the conspiracy nutjobs all jumping onto the video on social media to spread their particular brand of callous ignorance, helps to personalise the disease and the cost and impact it has.  

My heart wrenched for the guy when he said he had to fight and stay fit for his family. 

Whatever ward he is in, the point stands. I also feel sorry for the millions who have been denied, in some cases, life saving operations,  due to the monomania with Covid. Those interviewed in ICU are being used as pawns for political purposes and I find it obscene.

8 hours ago, jonesy said:

I'd like to think not, Pasquale. I've taken responsibility for my own actions for the last 10 or so months, as I advocate everyone else doing. Followed the advice where I deem it to be reasonable and sensible, and ignored the bits that are just made up in order to 'govern' rather than let folk carry on.

People taking responsibility for both their health and their actions - and the consequences of both - would be too much for some of the spoon-fed so-called adults populating the western world.

Exactly what I was thinking. Pretty much the exact opposite of hypocrisy.

You're right though, no chance of that catching on given the state of a society that need instructions on pretty much everything other than taking a shit! Although perhaps I missed that memo 🤔

50 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

There's a good few souls on here with Stockholm syndrome that's for sure. The governments and there response to a illness with over 99% survival rate has been bizzare, erratic and downright criminal in some cases yet some of you cheerlead these clowns for more punitive measures for something that before the days of mass media would barely have filled a few collums in newspapers across the world.

Anyone thinking any of the emergency legislation that's been introduced in the last year goes away is delusional to say the least, it's just not how governments operate.

They are currently breaking all 15 of the signs of an abusive relationship below.

gfff.jpg

120104504_10157896452927632_184798932710035303_n.jpg

Blind Citizens.jpg

🤞

40 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Whatever ward he is in, the point stands. I also feel sorry for the millions who have been denied, in some cases, life saving operations,  due to the monomania with Covid. Those interviewed in ICU are being used as pawns for political purposes and I find it obscene.

Yes its Govt propaganda essentially and its obscene

2 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

What's that got to do with CV19? That's a **** up by the GP. 

It’s a bit weird.  There’s plenty who lament the fact that restrictions are put in place and eased, put in place and eased, put in place and eased and others who see nothing more than a progressively tightening screw and the ever-increasing reduction in liberties (even though the lockdown is less restrictive now than it was last spring)

Which is it?

Edited by FWJ

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic