Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

42 minutes ago, Barack said:

Kind of you to ask, mate. But I'm quarantined. Maybe another time.😘

I'm pretty sure Prince removed some of his ribs, so he could do it himself.

Where's your commitment?

Edited by OmiyaHearts

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I see the toilet roll, shelf strippers are out in force again.

Do they think that we import all our toilet roll from Europe :lol:

Would anyone on here call them out, if they saw them with a trolley full in a supermarket?

I think many do think that, they probably also think that we import the trees to turn into paper.

1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Just read that some boy booked 23 click & collect slots from Asda and is selling them online for £15 each!

🤬

If there is any justice, Asda should charge him £20 a slot, non-transferable and non-refundable.  :laugh:

4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Thanks for proving my point about those with alternative viewpoints.

But, since you're the humourless sort, do you really believe that folk who believe lockdowns do more damage than they prevent are part of the Global Flat Earth Society and went to school in Alabama? Or are you just giving the fire a wee poke? 

If you think I’m ‘humourless’ for not splitting my sides at your ‘jokes’ then I suppose you’re right.  We do all have different opinions.

I’m basing mine on what I’ve heard from doctors and nurses that I know that work in hospitals.

5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Just need to cut out the middle man and wipe yer hole on the Christmas tree.

Just be careful what way the pine needles are pointing. :laugh:

42 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

My English wife of over 40 years still takes the piss about me using "messages" for shopping.

LOL

17 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Aww come on FWJ, lighten up. See if you can get yersel' a sense of humour in the January Sales :) 

Jonesy he will need to join a long queue if some of the posters on this are in it too. :) 

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I have already explained my reasons for evolving KVC disappointed u feel that way . But we aren’t trees 

Some people are trees to be fair some also marry trees. Its a strange world.....

Scottish numbers: 24 December 2020

Summary

• 1,314 new cases of COVID-19 reported [+124]
  • 27,872 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 5.3% of these were positive [+1,342; +0.3%]
  • On 24th December, 43 new reported deaths of people who have tested positive [-4]
  • 56 people were in intensive care on 23rd December with recently confirmed COVID-19 [=]
  • 1,008 people were in hospital on 23rd December with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-17]

2 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Again, my thoughts...

@jamesm48   

Noticed you getting a fair dooin on this today.    Ignore them mate. I find your posts intelligent , informative and interesting.  You have been truthful about your change of views about wee Sturgeon and her management of this pandemic. sorry mismanagement.  I do find your posts can be a bit " out there" , " off kilter" and " whacky" but thats what makes you interesting. Considering most of your critics  repeat the same " Lockdowns work" drone every day ad nausea  without considering any alternatives I would say you and a few others are spot on.  Hope you have a good Xmas.

6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

:( I'll cope with the joke jibe.

FWIW, some of what has fuelled my disillusion with the approach(es) since March has been fed by what I've been told by frontline healthcare pros, too. I'd argue that my own views on lockdowns and the handling of this pandemic (and the best way forwards) is as evidence-based as yours or anyone else's. 

Anyway, a' the best. 

Probably a good time to agree on a Christmas truce on this thread.

Thing is i think a lot of the more sensible posters , while disagreeing on the nature of restrictions get info from people involved in the response. For instance two of us up here have heard similar about a red alert situation for the hospital for 12weeks. To me thats them pre-empting any issues to keep it under control. Others will say its the apocalypse , some will say thats them planning for worst case , likewise you’ll get “****ing arseholes , i need an op etc” its peoples perceptions of info or of things we are told that alter , not really the info

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Scottish numbers: 24 December 2020

Summary

• 1,314 new cases of COVID-19 reported [+124]
  • 27,872 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 5.3% of these were positive [+1,342; +0.3%]
  • On 24th December, 43 new reported deaths of people who have tested positive [-4]
  • 56 people were in intensive care on 23rd December with recently confirmed COVID-19 [=]
  • 1,008 people were in hospital on 23rd December with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-17]

Our numbers still seem to be holding firm.

Hopefully we don't see the expected spike and some positive news comes out about the new variants after they've had more time to study them

Per-100,000 case rates around the boards:

Scotland 24 [+2]

Lanarkshire 35 [+3], Greater Glasgow 28 [+6], Ayrshire 27 [-7], Tayside 27 [+3], Fife 24 [+6], Grampian 22 [-5], Lothian 22 [+5].

Borders: 19 [+5], Dumfries & Galloway 12 [+5], Forth Valley 12 [-9], Highland 11 [+5], Shetland 9 [+5].

Orkney & Western Isles: 0 [=].

3 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

@jamesm48   

Noticed you getting a fair dooin on this today.    Ignore them mate. I find your posts intelligent , informative and interesting.  You have been truthful about your change of views about wee Sturgeon and her management of this pandemic. sorry mismanagement.  I do find your posts can be a bit " out there" , " off kilter" and " whacky" but thats what makes you interesting. Considering most of your critics  repeat the same " Lockdowns work" drone every day ad nausea  without considering any alternatives I would say you and a few others are spot on.  Hope you have a good Xmas.

Brilliantly worded wee snydey post instead of sticking to actual points. Thats why people end up turning on folk (on either side) thats not debate thats just a childish dig at some posters.

ok so what alternatives? Thats something that is usually herd immunity or let old folk die off as its nature sorting us out. Theres no solution that will keep everyone happy. We live in a social media driven paranoid society

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Hopefully we don't see the expected spike and some positive news comes out about the new variants after they've had more time to study them

Agreed 👍🏻

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It will be interesting to see what effect the schools being closed has on the numbers in coming weeks.

2 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I've got no issues with your journey through this mate, we're all doing the same. But your tone and words to folk that still feel more anxious now you do can be very dismissive and condescending, and I'd have expected you to be a bit more understanding considering. Just my opinion on your posts though, nothing more than that. 

It's the ex-smoker effect. 

4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It depends on your definition of "holding firm". The 7-day case rate over Scotland has increased 40% in 4 days. We're on a bit of an upsurge at the moment.

8 minutes ago, sadj said:

Brilliantly worded wee snydey post instead of sticking to actual points. Thats why people end up turning on folk (on either side) thats not debate thats just a childish dig at some posters.

ok so what alternatives? Thats something that is usually herd immunity or let old folk die off as its nature sorting us out. Theres no solution that will keep everyone happy. We live in a social media driven paranoid society

Bingo. So let's respect that everyone is entitled to an opinion on what the best solution is.

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Arseholes....

Mother in law was in Morrisons getting her gluten free bread and an auld boy in front, scooped

half the shelf , the shop has to be blamed for this, a max of 2 loafs , is plenty, beyond me.

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

We have many links with the Dutch language especially in the east of scotland, this is one. 

A message is a boodschap, and when you do your shopping you do the boodschappen.

Same with German. Scots words like coo (kuh), kirk (kirche), and licht (er.... licht). You also have another particularly east coastism with ken (kennt).

They do say Scots find German easier than the English do. And, although the Dutch will deny it, there are clearly similarities so I'd expect the same with their language. That's a really good one for messages though. 

6 minutes ago, sadj said:

And that definitely can't be a good thing, the more I hear about the likes of facebook etc, the more I'm glad that I made the decision to have nothing to do with them.

9 minutes ago, frankblack said:

It will be interesting to see what effect the schools being closed has on the numbers in coming weeks.

I'd imagine none, I'm sure I read on here that schools aren't contributing to the spread.

It's becoming a bit of a nightmare, pubs and hospitality were the main spreaders, but they are now mainly closed and it's still rising uncontrollably. Schools aren't aren't a risk but will be closing anyway, there's not much left to close. Unless we close supermarkets...which I think has also been said not to be a major risk. Tough one.

8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It depends on your definition of "holding firm". The 7-day case rate over Scotland has increased 40% in 4 days. We're on a bit of an upsurge at the moment.

But the case rate is based on numbers not percentages no??? More testing will inevitably lead to more cases. Surely the %age figure is more important for comparison purposes?? We seem to be hovering around the magic 5% figure.

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Close the parliaments and the media. Job done. ;) 

We should all just stay in our houses until we die of starvation...then we'll be safe from Covid.

AlphonseCapone
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

But the case rate is based on numbers not percentages no??? More testing will inevitably lead to more cases. Surely the %age figure is more important for comparison purposes?? We seem to be hovering around the magic 5% figure.

There's also been a backlog of results last few days as reported on SG site which will impact overall numbers. 

% positive is my preferre measure when tracking. 

Captain Sausage
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'd imagine none, I'm sure I read on here that schools aren't contributing to the spread.

It's becoming a bit of a nightmare, pubs and hospitality were the main spreaders, but they are now mainly closed and it's still rising uncontrollably. Schools aren't aren't a risk but will be closing anyway, there's not much left to close. Unless we close supermarkets...which I think has also been said not to be a major risk. Tough one.

For me the big problem is that they’ve lost the fear that existed in the first lockdown. 

People overwhelmingly adhered to the restrictions because no one knew what the virus was about. 

Now, for better or worse, people have a better understanding of the virus. If you’re not old, and don’t come in contact with older family (or don’t care) then your risk profile is very low. 

Shutting schools, stricter lockdown measures, less open shops - I just don’t see how it gets everything under control. Those who are going to abide by the rules are doing so and will continue to do so. Those who are breaking the rules will continue to do so. I think the proportion of the population falling into the latter group is substantially increased from the first lockdown. 

As an aside, James is taking some fairly well deserved flak. Doling out the advise and ripping into people who think exactly as he previously (very vocally) did. I don’t think people are digging him out about the stance so much as the condescending, arrogant attitude he displays.

William H. Bonney
4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Would certainly stop the spread.

And the amount of shite the wife has bought for Christmas means we'd probably get by until the summer... of 2022.

Which is pretty much when Matt Hancock said life will be back to normal. 

8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And that definitely can't be a good thing, the more I hear about the likes of facebook etc, the more I'm glad that I made the decision to have nothing to do with them.

Yh they can be wonderful but they can also be massively damaging to your mental wellbeing imo

7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Very true, sadj.

I agree that planners should be pre-empting things to an extent, but when that becomes the default response, rather than dealing with tangible issues and guaranteed future implications of things like lockdowns and prioritising CV19, then folk are well within their rights to feel a bit miffed that 'protecting the NHS' means throwing many others under the bus.

Indeed , where do you go with things though. If this had happened twenty / thirty years ago when society wasn’t run by lunatics on social media platforms and lawyers suing you because you took an extra breath of fresh air that denied their client theirs I think we would have seen a very different response. 

Its so easy to build a hate and mob mentality over anything now and some people live for it. As soon as they see an opportunity its about disharmony and about being a big fish in a world of little warped fishessss. The real problems and issues in any important matter seem to get lost between that , image and profit margins for companies. I hoped lockdown would let people reconnect with themselves in a world that had to slow down. Instead many people have just gone straight back to “im a ***** and tough luck if it means i shit on everyone else” 

As for ops and the like , again twenty thirty years ago the caution would have been less but the possibility of repercussions would also have been. You would prob see hospitals still doing ops at a good level having extra staff (this may not be true) , less fear of the repercussions from an outbreak. All my opinion of course. 

6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Close the parliaments and the media. Job done. ;) 

🤣🤣🤣 Supermarkets need to take responsibility that is for sure , they are 💯 profit margins before peoples safety while other industries suffer massively.

8 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

For me the big problem is that they’ve lost the fear that existed in the first lockdown. 

People overwhelmingly adhered to the restrictions because no one knew what the virus was about. 

Now, for better or worse, people have a better understanding of the virus. If you’re not old, and don’t come in contact with older family (or don’t care) then your risk profile is very low. 

Shutting schools, stricter lockdown measures, less open shops - I just don’t see how it gets everything under control. Those who are going to abide by the rules are doing so and will continue to do so. Those who are breaking the rules will continue to do so. I think the proportion of the population falling into the latter group is substantially increased from the first lockdown. 

As an aside, James is taking some fairly well deserved flak. Doling out the advise and ripping into people who think exactly as he previously (very vocally) did. I don’t think people are digging him out about the stance so much as the condescending, arrogant attitude he displays.

There is no real consequence for breakinh rules. People get fined , lawyers tell you to let them fight it as its unjust. 🤷🏻‍♂️Akin to private parking , get a ticket , toss it away as its almost impossible to enforce. The outbreak up here was stupidity from a guy getting tested then instead of waiting for a reault going out on the piss. What happened to him...not a thing. Outbreak up here in a care home - staff member came in to work knowing his family were showing symptoms and had been tested but didn’t tell the parent company/agency. Next thing several families have lost loved ones. Any action against him- No.

So do as you like as don’t fear the consequences. 

29 minutes ago, Norm said:

Same with German. Scots words like coo (kuh), kirk (kirche), and licht (er.... licht). You also have another particularly east coastism with ken (kennt).

They do say Scots find German easier than the English do. And, although the Dutch will deny it, there are clearly similarities so I'd expect the same with their language. That's a really good one for messages though. 

Dutch and German are indeed really close, koe (coo), kerk, licht and ken are all in Dutch too.

There's been centuries, millenia, of the north sea coastal nations trading and intermingling, fascinating stuff when you start delving into it.

Konrad von Carstein
52 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

@jamesm48   

Bit in bold? Naw, he didnae!

Since his transformation since April(ish) when he stopped buying bleach by the crateload and got a grip of himself, he has been, on occasion, very sniffy with people who are still wary of Covid , and seems to be playing to  particular gallery on here.

And as for singling me out for quotes, cheers you **** guffy!  🤡

Nucky Thompson
46 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I mean the positivity percentage still hovering around 5%. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Since his transformation since April(ish) when he stopped buying bleach by the crateload and got a grip of himself, he has been, on occasion, very sniffy with people who are still wary of Covid , and seems to be playing to  particular gallery on here.

That’ll be the cult gallery.

4 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Don't agree with that. He's been pretty supportive and respectful on this thread to people who are wary about it. Where he's been sniffy is in regards to people who won't accept another viewpoint and continually champion the government advice and pro-lockdown stuff whilst trying to ridicule others who think lockdowns do more harm than good. His responses about hiding behind sofa's and stuff are churlish but his frustration (imo) is at the condescending judgement from those who support maximum intrusion into liberty to combat the virus, not at people who are afraid of it.

Do I agree with him? In parts, yes. Is that easy to say when not at risk from the virus really? Also yes.

Whether people like it or not, a point in time will either come when we have this under control or we have to accept the death toll. I hope more than anything it's the first one, but time is running out before the second one starts to feel like the less destructive one on a global scale.

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Just trying to find some positives to lighten the mood :thumb:

Always a good thing! :)

The latest per-capita 7-day case rates around the councils:

7-day per-100,000 cases              
Council Area Tier Today Yesterday       22 Dec 21 Dec 20 Dec 19 Dec 18 Dec
Scotland   139 130 +9     121 112 98 96 105
East Ayrshire 3 203 178 +25     168 154 153 160 159
North Ayrshire 3 201 203 -2     193 189 175 160 174
Aberdeen City 3 193 189 +4     176 162 163 150 162
East Renfrewshire 3 178 164 +14     147 129 101 91 109
Dundee City 3 175 149 +26     129 119 113 125 146
Renfrewshire 3 174 159 +15     147 122 116 106 121
Glasgow City 3 173 167 +6     153 135 129 122 140
South Lanarkshire 3 170 158 +12     133 129 120 119 122
North Lanarkshire 3 162 143 +19     131 131 119 129 133
Perth and Kinross 3 161 143 +18     144 139 126 116 143
East Lothian 3 157 163 -6     172 174 148 146 147
West Dunbartonshire 3 153 150 +3     145 126 120 102 99
Edinburgh City 3 146 135 +11     129 122 109 106 112
Midlothian 3 136 133 +3     139 136 136 142 151
Aberdeenshire 3 133 127 +6     118 106 88 79 82
Clackmannanshire 3 132 146 -14     144 150 148 138 173
Inverclyde 2 131 107 +24     86 73 59 54 64
Fife 3 122 117 +5     111 107 97 100 118
East Dunbartonshire 3 119 108 +11     102 91 70 67 78
Scottish Borders 1 114 105 +9     106 100 85 87 100
South Ayrshire 3 110 104 +6     95 97 98 96 99
Stirling 3 107 110 -3     91 94 70 62 67
West Lothian 3 106 103 +3     103 97 83 87 89
Falkirk 2 96 93 +3     84 80 60 64 65
Angus 2 81 71 +10     64 52 37 37 45
Dumfries & Galloway 1 61 58 +3     54 40 32 26 29
Moray 1 50 53 -3     41 26 13 17 19
Highland 1 41 31 +10     28 24 17 17 18
Argyll and Bute 2 35 43 -8     41 38 29 28 33
Shetland Islands 1 17 9 +8     4 4 0 0 0
Na h-Eileanan Siar 1 7 7 0     11 15 22 19 15
Orkney Islands 1 0 0 0     0 0 0 0 0

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The latest per-capita 7-day case rates around the councils:

7-day per-100,000 cases              
Council Area Tier Today Yesterday       22 Dec 21 Dec 20 Dec 19 Dec 18 Dec
Scotland   139 130 +9     121 112 98 96 105
East Ayrshire 3 203 178 +25     168 154 153 160 159
North Ayrshire 3 201 203 -2     193 189 175 160 174
Aberdeen City 3 193 189 +4     176 162 163 150 162
East Renfrewshire 3 178 164 +14     147 129 101 91 109
Dundee City 3 175 149 +26     129 119 113 125 146
Renfrewshire 3 174 159 +15     147 122 116 106 121
Glasgow City 3 173 167 +6     153 135 129 122 140
South Lanarkshire 3 170 158 +12     133 129 120 119 122
North Lanarkshire 3 162 143 +19     131 131 119 129 133
Perth and Kinross 3 161 143 +18     144 139 126 116 143
East Lothian 3 157 163 -6     172 174 148 146 147
West Dunbartonshire 3 153 150 +3     145 126 120 102 99
Edinburgh City 3 146 135 +11     129 122 109 106 112
Midlothian 3 136 133 +3     139 136 136 142 151
Aberdeenshire 3 133 127 +6     118 106 88 79 82
Clackmannanshire 3 132 146 -14     144 150 148 138 173
Inverclyde 2 131 107 +24     86 73 59 54 64
Fife 3 122 117 +5     111 107 97 100 118
East Dunbartonshire 3 119 108 +11     102 91 70 67 78
Scottish Borders 1 114 105 +9     106 100 85 87 100
South Ayrshire 3 110 104 +6     95 97 98 96 99
Stirling 3 107 110 -3     91 94 70 62 67
West Lothian 3 106 103 +3     103 97 83 87 89
Falkirk 2 96 93 +3     84 80 60 64 65
Angus 2 81 71 +10     64 52 37 37 45
Dumfries & Galloway 1 61 58 +3     54 40 32 26 29
Moray 1 50 53 -3     41 26 13 17 19
Highland 1 41 31 +10     28 24 17 17 18
Argyll and Bute 2 35 43 -8     41 38 29 28 33
Shetland Islands 1 17 9 +8     4 4 0 0 0
Na h-Eileanan Siar 1 7 7 0     11 15 22 19 15
Orkney Islands 1 0 0 0     0 0 0 0 0

👍

Konrad von Carstein
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Don't agree with that. He's been pretty supportive and respectful on this thread to people who are wary about it. Where he's been sniffy is in regards to people who won't accept another viewpoint and continually champion the government advice and pro-lockdown stuff whilst trying to ridicule others who think lockdowns do more harm than good. His responses about hiding behind sofa's and stuff are churlish but his frustration (imo) is at the condescending judgement from those who support maximum intrusion into liberty to combat the virus, not at people who are afraid of it.

Do I agree with him? In parts, yes. Is that easy to say when not at risk from the virus really? Also yes.

Whether people like it or not, a point in time will either come when we have this under control or we have to accept the death toll. I hope more than anything it's the first one, but time is running out before the second one starts to feel like the less destructive one on a global scale.

Fairly put...

I guess my response was (whatever the opposite of tempered is) by being accused of being part of a pile on, James is, I assume big enough and ugly enough to call out bullying, if/when it happens on here without handers.

Governor Tarkin
27 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

1 in 85 England

1 in 60 Wales

1 in 140 Scotland 

People infected with coronavirus. 

That seems like an awful lot.

3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

That seems like an awful lot.

Yip and the numbers on the right are getting smaller. Tho, ours got bigger for once. 

I may be in the wrong/minority, but personally I think the should vaccinate the people of the UK from the youngest up. Maybe shield the old and vulnerable for a month or 2. Just a suggestion to maybe getting us up and running again, quicker. 

11 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Fairly put...

I guess my response was (whatever the opposite of tempered is) by being accused of being part of a pile on, James is, I assume big enough and ugly enough to call out bullying, if/when it happens on here without handers.

Absolutely, also not saying you shouldn't feel the way you do about by the way, and also didn't feel it was a particularly harsh pile on or the like.

Just that I don't see his responses in the same way , that could well be shaped from positive discussions I've had with him over the course of this thread.

👍👍

3 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

@redjambo

Do you have Scottish death figures also.

I mean compared with UK per population. Or better the rest of Europe.

From https://www.travellingtabby.com/uk-coronavirus-tracker/, our 7-day death rate compared to the other UK countries below. If you go to that web page then you can add some other countries to the chart, including the UK as whole (but the UK is effectively England figures-wise due to the relative populations).

1635744501_Screenshotat2020-12-2415-40-24.png.7d494a77b4a6d9708ebd949df92e7d0b.png

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic