Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

It really isn't.  It could be a neccesary escalation if things get rough.  It would never be a measure conceived by a politician anyway.  It would be something requested from within the body of advisors and instigated by politicians.

Mate, a curfew where you can be stopped by the police for being outside your house at a certain time of day. And asked to explain yourself for doing so? That’s not authoritarian?

Not sure what measures you would class as authoritarian if you think the above is normal. 

Dagger Is Back
25 minutes ago, Barack said:

Got my Covid-19 test back. I'm negative.

She's not though. Oh, well. Merry Christmas. :lol:

Sorry to hear that Barack. Not the news you want at any time let along 2 days before Xmas. Look after yourselves 

1 minute ago, TheOak88 said:

Mate, a curfew where you can be stopped by the police for being outside your house at a certain time of day. And asked to explain yourself for doing so? That’s not authoritarian?

Not sure what measures you would class as authoritarian if you think the above is normal. 

It would absolutely be very authoritarian in normal circumstances.  No argument from me there.  This is not a normal circumstance mate.  I think people need to try to conceptualise out of the norm a bit.

7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It would absolutely be very authoritarian in normal circumstances.  No argument from me there.  This is not a normal circumstance mate.  I think people need to try to conceptualise out of the norm a bit.

I have to say, feels like a step too far for me that. I understand these are exceptional times and there needs to be some restrictions on normal life, but locking people in their house at an arbitrary time every night, by order of someone at Holyrood. Something about that just doesn’t sit right for me personally. 

6 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

We’re have both sets of parents around. Which will mean we are at the upper limit and there will be car sharing with one set of parents. We wont be breaking any rules but we will breaking guidance. 

Interestingly both sets of parent will be breaking rules by meeting their others kids and grandkids. All 69+ so and for a variety of reason in higher risk categories, but they views seeing grandkids worth risk.

I literally couldn’t stop them turning up to the house if I wanted to. 

Lemmings...

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

As opposed to telling you where you can go, who you can see and preventing anyone enter your own residence? 

I’m not in favour of it, just think it will happen, its not a stretch considering other restrictions we have faced. That line was passed sometime ago 😞

No, not as opposed to those. I disagree with some of those restrictions as well. But not even allowing you to leave your house by yourself, feels like taking things up another notch to me. 

19 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Some countries are doing curfews. 

In fact you have to ask for permission to go out. 

7 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

I have to say, feels like a step too far for me that. I understand these are exceptional times and there needs to be some restrictions on normal life, but locking people in their house at an arbitrary time every night, by order of someone at Holyrood. Something about that just doesn’t sit right for me personally. 

Fair enough.  I'm resigned to this situation being difficult enough to require abnormal decisions.  It would have no practical effect on me personally.  

It's all about the purpose and intended benefit as far as I'm concerned.  **** me I would take 6 months solitary in Saughton right now if it achieved a normal life upon release.

2 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Some countries are doing curfews. 

In fact you have to ask for permission to go out. 

Yeah I know, mate. Have heard of a few countries doing it. Quite worrying IMO. 

40 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I think he means a curfew in the literal sense.  People not permitted to be out in the street at all without a permitted reason.  Presumably to reduce the amount of indoor meet-ups that go on,  whatever that level is.

Hogmanay will test that theory.  House parties galore with all hospitality shut.

Personally I don't think the police will get involved (unless some mass gathering is happening) even if politicians create a law.

Francis Albert
30 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

You wont be allowed out your house from say 8pm-6am. They will shut everything between those hours, llots of places have done it in connection to COVID. 

The virus doesn't like the dark?

Just now, frankblack said:

Hogmanay will test that theory.  House parties galore with all hospitality shut.

Personally I don't think the police will get involved (unless some mass gathering is happening) even if politicians create a law.

:Agree:

I was calling Hogmanay as a huge event quite a while back.  Can you imagine the scale?  Police?  I think they'll tackle a sample number of instances.  They've been attending absolutely tons of instances for many weeks already.  Hogmanay will be an absolute cluster ****.

2 hours ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Don't think we're ever going to get out of this. 

We will get through this, one way or another, either through a vaccine or by learning to adapt and live with this thing.

Our ancestors coped with much worse and came through the other side, so will we.

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

How can the public blame politicians when so many take a delight in ignoring the restrictions ? 

I'm talking wilfully and openly defying the rules such as house parties street gatherings. Not forgetting to put a mask on for a couple of minutes. 

57 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Anyone disregarding the rules for Xmas?

Mum & Dad arrive Christmas Eve staying until Boxing Day, Sister In Law arriving Christmas Day leaving Boxing Day too, total of 7 in the house (3 households) Normally have around 18 for Christmas lunch. 

2 hours ago, Lord Inglis said:

The army and anyone with a 1st aid qualification upwards should be conscripted to help 

For some reason, Kevin the school janitor, diluting and drawing up a precise measured dose of vaccine and then sticking a needle in my arm, doesn't fill me with a great deal of confidence. 

Best to leave that sort of thing to the folks who know what their doing. 👍

AlphonseCapone

Watching Contagion just now. Seen it before but things in that seem so obvious now that meant nothing before, R rates and fomite transmission etc. 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

This is exactly where I am. It's been a rollercoaster and you'd have to wonder if we all had to get on it in the first place. It's been shambolic right from the off when we had Madrid fans coming to Liverpool (Christ they were banned from attending matches in their own city due to Covid!) and German fans going to Glasgow. I wrote to Joanna Cherry about flights continuing to arrive from Northern Italy in March into Edinburgh and the reply just beggars belief

What did she say?

8 minutes ago, luckydug said:

How can the public blame politicians when so many take a delight in ignoring the restrictions ? 

I'm talking wilfully and openly defying the rules such as house parties street gatherings. Not forgetting to put a mask on for a couple of minutes. 

I have said from the start that if you are going to have rules you have to enforce them.  Otherwise that group will continue to increase.

I got shot down for saying that as others complained about taking away our civil rights.  We are where we are now.

The issue of mental health has been raised many times since March.  Always quite rightly so as well.  Here's a thing though.  I firmly believe we've only seen the tip of the iceberg on that.  We need to get out of this quagmire in a fundamental way at some point next year,  otherwise there will be a huge mental health catastrophe.  There needs to be a big win with the vaccines and a return to near normal existence with a full return to follow in reasonable time after that.  No 'new normal'.  No learning to live along with the virus.  No adapting to the virus.  Only a resounding big win will stave off a serious amount of profound depression,  etc.

Pasquale for King
22 minutes ago, Victorian said:

:Agree:

I was calling Hogmanay as a huge event quite a while back.  Can you imagine the scale?  Police?  I think they'll tackle a sample number of instances.  They've been attending absolutely tons of instances for many weeks already.  Hogmanay will be an absolute cluster ****.

A 10pm curfew might be necessary. 

38 minutes ago, Barack said:

Cheers.👍🏻

Bugger all, mate. Just meant from our personal point of view, as it's been one thing after another.

She still can't feel anything on her temple. 😄 I mean... 😬

At least that can provide hours of entertainment. Give her my best pal and just keep yourselves safe. Focus on Wonder Woman 1984 and that’ll help the time pass a bit , at least for you. 

9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The issue of mental health has been raised many times since March.  Always quite rightly so as well.  Here's a thing though.  I firmly believe we've only seen the tip of the iceberg on that.  We need to get out of this quagmire in a fundamental way at some point next year,  otherwise there will be a huge mental health catastrophe.  There needs to be a big win with the vaccines and a return to near normal existence with a full return to follow in reasonable time after that.  No 'new normal'.  No learning to live along with the virus.  No adapting to the virus.  Only a resounding big win will stave off a serious amount of profound depression,  etc.

To me one of the factors that doesn’t help is Social Media and the Medias portrayal of things to people , the negative angles the Media take. The way idiots act on Social Media and rubbish people spout to drum up attention for themselves , the constant politicising of aspects of the pandemic. All these have in my opinion a huge effect on most peoples mental wellbeing. I was struggling a lot over summer. My reaction was to come off all social media platforms , stop paying as much direct attention to the news and try to reset and focus. I very much agree this is the tip of the iceberg at best for peoples mental wellbeing however. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

A 10pm curfew might be necessary. 

Do you think the public will accept that ? 

I don't ! 

People have now got used to doing there own thing. 

Perhaps if we had clamped down on the crowded beaches, public demonstrations of one kind and another and folk emptying out of pubs in large groups. 

These Celtic muppets as an example were allowed to turn up outside football stadiums in large numbers. 

As far as I know there was only one arrest and that was for throwing a barrier at a Police vehicle. 

We have had numerous posters on here planning to go down to Tynecastle on Sunday if we'd won the cup. We've had posters on here trying to stir up civil disobedience. 

It's all the politicians fault of course😏

Francis Albert
33 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Loves the dark, sunlight it’s not so fond off.

So we curfew in the hours of darkness? Makes sense in the context of the response so far!

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Barack said:

Got my Covid-19 test back. I'm negative.

She's not though. Oh, well. Merry Christmas. :lol:

:rofl: Bummer. I shouldnae really laugh but you'll need to keep an eye on yourself for a bit too. Just drink heavily and convince yourself that any symptoms that might develop are a bad hangover. 

So do you have to isolate in different rooms of the house then? 

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

So we curfew in the hours of darkness? Makes sense in the context of the response so far!

I keep saying this but we are not the only country having to take these steps. 

France has/had a curfew between 

20.00 and 06.00.

Plenty others as well. 

1 minute ago, luckydug said:

20.00 and 06.00.

Plenty others as well. 

The streets of Rome are pretty much empty from 10pm (Italian time), very few cars on the roads as well, except for the Police & the Army.

Horatio Caine
43 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

We will get through this, one way or another, either through a vaccine or by learning to adapt and live with this thing.

Our ancestors coped with much worse and came through the other side, so will we.

Aye but they didn't have social media to contend with!

Francis Albert
4 minutes ago, luckydug said:

20.00 and 06.00.

Plenty others as well. 

Choosing to take these steps.

Sorry but I struggle to see the logic for banning people from being out when few others are. Especially when everything is shut.

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

Choosing to take these steps.

Sorry but I struggle to see the logic for banning people from being out when few others are. Especially when everything is shut.

Primarily it would be to discourage people visiting other houses.

The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The streets of Rome are pretty much empty from 10pm (Italian time), very few cars on the roads as well, except for the Police & the Army.

Unfortunately this country are shit scared to do anything like that.

1 hour ago, TheOak88 said:

Well said ! Wtf is his definition of authoritarian ? It’s draconian legislation and I hope people breach it left right and centre . Enough is enough . Seriously . Although many hated the original lock down rules but abided by them . If this is enforced in legislation I predict a lot of unrest and anger 

23 minutes ago, Barack said:

Yeah, she's confined to our bedroom, I'm downstairs most of the day & spare bedroom at night. Take her stuff, then disinfect it & sanitizer before & after. She's lost her sense of smell in the last few hours too. Still got taste. For now! Better not lose that, & fail to appreciate the magnificent Christmas dinner I'll be cooking!

Every day's a Bill Bryson Novel, mate. Cheers though. 

WW84 on Christmas Day will suffice.😏

Im on it , don’t worry. Get a nice 4k one quick too i reckon👍🏻

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Well said ! Wtf is his definition of authoritarian ? It’s draconian legislation and I hope people breach it left right and centre . Enough is enough . Seriously . Although many hated the original lock down rules but abided by them . If this is enforced in legislation I predict a lot of unrest and anger 

Many also didn't abide by the rules.

Francis Albert
31 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Primarily it would be to discourage people visiting other houses.

People visiting other houses  at night? Is that likely to be a major vector of transmission? Perhaps I live a sheltered life!

There is a myth on this that the police are currently dealing with tons of breaches of covid rules. In particular house parties. I can confirm this is absolute bollocks.  Dont ask why I know but i do know.  I have no reason to make it up. 

4 hours ago, coconut doug said:

It's good to see your new found confidence in the opinions of scientists. Drastic measures are not required claims the Dutch expert. It's clear to me now that Taiwan, Korea, New Zealand, Singapore etc must have over reacted hysterically first time around.

As for Sturgeon's comment being the most ridiculous you have heard this year she nevertheless has manged to convince Prof Andrew Hayward, a professor of infectious disease epidemiology at University College London.  When asked if we should be worried about the strain he said “I think we already have enough information to know that this variant has the potential to cause a major further epidemic, worse than we had previously predicted,” Several other top scientists agree and also share the view that going in quickly with social restrictions will save lives. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/20/fast-spreading-covid-variant-in-england-uk  You'd think all these scientists would come up with some ideas of their own rather than just blindly parroting the FM.

You seem to be telling us that this variant offers no additional threat to lives and the NHS. How do you know this? Don't you believe the government when they say there has been a 56% increase in cases in a week? Did we ever have this rate of increase in cases in the first wave?

Scientists and politicians like Sturgeon are one-trick ponies who will not suffer personally from the economic carnage that will follow the hysterical lockdown measures.  Cases and illnesses are completely different entities. You could argue that stopping people going outdoors when pavements are icy will "protect the NHS" or banning cars, skydiving  pubs, smoking, drinking,  obesity, will "save lives". Stopping the entire population from living, under the guise of "saving lives" is not sustainable. Why were we not locked up under our duvets last year when 115k died of respiratory illness. Were those lives not worth saving??

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

I think it is considered the highest source of transmissions between households. 

If a curfew can reduce that then maybe we can get business open during the day at least. 

Visits to other households at night is the highest source of transmissions between households? Source?

5 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I think it is considered the highest source of transmissions between households. 

If a curfew can reduce that then maybe we can get business open during the day at least. 

Then maybe if pubs and restaurants were open people could meet each other in those more safe environments?  

Weakened Offender
21 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

If this is enforced in legislation I predict a lot of unrest and anger 

Who from? What section of society do you imagine is going to lead on that? 

2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Anyone disregarding the rules for Xmas?

Not particularly .  We will be at family.  Altogether it will be 3 different households.  However if we get pissed we wont be driving home so will probably  stay the night.  I do hope the grasses wont be about then if we have to drive all. Brings a new meaning to " the walk of shame"....Maybe " the drive of shame".. When you think about it its ludicrous as we will be with the same people Xmas day and Boxing day morning / afternoon so whats the  issue?  Control . control. control.

We’re being told that the 2 new variants of covid are far easier to catch , why then are there supporters at a game of football in Merseyside ? , arguably one of the first places that introduced the bloody virus to the country in the first place. 

It’s just so nice of the govts to give these two new strains a wee head start just so people can still celebrate a fairy story . 

AlphonseCapone
30 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Curfew here in Tenerife. 10pm to 6am no one around and very quiet. 

****ing Sturgeon the mad *******. 

18 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

People visiting other houses  at night? Is that likely to be a major vector of transmission? Perhaps I live a sheltered life!

Presumably house parties, and they tend to be at night aye. 

13 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

There is a myth on this that the police are currently dealing with tons of breaches of covid rules. In particular house parties. I can confirm this is absolute bollocks.  Dont ask why I know but i do know.  I have no reason to make it up. 

Why do you know? 

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

People meeting indoor at each other’s houses, is allegedly, according to govt/data, is the biggest cause of transmission. How they prove that I have  no idea, before you start on that tangent. 

Its primary purpose is to stop people meeting at each other houses, it makes enforcement much easier for the old bill, pretty much anyone on street is getting lifted and all also numerous benefits in reducing human interactions. 

You don’t need to agree with something to understand the logic/rationale. Unless your the type who finds a fight in phone box 🤷🏻‍♂️

Does the govermment data distinguish betwren people meeting at each others houses between 6am and 10pm  and those meeting between 10pm and 6am? Unless I live a very sheltered life I would expect the former to massively outweigh the latter.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Who from? What section of society do you imagine is going to lead on that? 

The Muppets.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic