Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

3 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Glasgow is hands down better for boozers too. 😉

Nah..Edinburgh probably has some of the best beer in the UK.

Glasgow is a Tennents shitfest.

Shopping ..Glasgow

Beer..Edinburgh..

🙂

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Tott said:

Shopping ..Glasgow

Beer..Edinburgh..

🙂

:greatpost:

37 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The Court of Session has rejected a petition that the SG was wrong to keep Edinburgh at Level 3.

So despite the figures showing that level 2 was appropriate, level 3 was to reman because the SG "thought" that's what was needed based on maybes aye maybes naw, its maybes naw it will be. (Unfortunately I court get the tables to migrate clearly. ) Judge ruled in favour of the government 🤬

City of Edinburgh

•   case level low but fluctuating

•   test positivity maintained at moderate without

improvement

•   allocation unchanged

Local authority* Cases/100k Test Cases/100k Hospital ICU Present New Positivity forecast forecast forecast level Level

City of Edinburgh     L   

M   V   L   L   L

3         3

Edited by Boy Daniel

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, Tott said:

Shopping ..Glasgow

Beer..Edinburgh..

🙂

I was meaning more of a day out and atmosphere. Glasgow is a brilliant day/night out but as for beers/ales, I'm not arguing that. You're very right there. 

I might chuck in curry hooses though? 😉

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I was a bit shocked to see that there a few weeks ago. Hope he’s a great player and too good for them. 

He’s already a good wee player , got the Brazilian flair already I think ! Hopefully when he gets a bit older he will realise he’s on to a loser supporting them and move his allegiance to the big team in Edinburgh 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

He’s already a good wee player , got the Brazilian flair already I think ! Hopefully when he gets a bit older he will realise he’s on to a loser supporting them and move his allegiance to the big team in Edinburgh 

Sounds like his uncle will need to help him on that journey to the promised land 👍🏽

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Sounds like his uncle will need to help him on that journey to the promised land 👍🏽

I’m trying believe me ! 

Reading the SG comments (Summary of reasons for change in allocation of level to each area and summary of indicators. OPINION OF LORD ERICHT) makes a  complete farce of the Edinburgh City tier 3 decision.  

I doubt we will be lowered to tier 2 next week either.

Edited by Boy Daniel

17 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I was meaning more of a day out and atmosphere. Glasgow is a brilliant day/night out but as for beers/ales, I'm not arguing that. You're very right there. 

I might chuck in curry hooses though? 😉

Btw..Glasgow pubs are very welcoming.

Do enjoy them,just the choice of beer isnt that great.

Curry houses are pretty damm good though.

A side issue, but very real one is the harm all this does to families. We’ve got 2 daughters and one caught it in Glasgow in September in halls and is fine.  She is very careful. The other one doesn’t give a shit and we have had horrendous problems with her attitude.  We give a bit of slack (though not in the house) but the arguments. 
feel this may be going on in a few households. I’m getting absolutely sick of it all now. And I’ve been very lucky in that I’ve been working throughout.

my dad who is 85 caught it also but seems to be getting ok and tomorrow is his last day isolating thank goodness . 

Pasquale for King
31 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Reading the SG comments (Summary of reasons for change in allocation of level to each area and summary of indicators. OPINION OF LORD ERICHT) makes a  complete farce of the Edinburgh City tier 3 decision.  

I doubt we will be lowered to tier 2 next week either.

No chance, around Valentine’s Day is my guess. 

3 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

I really can't be arsed sitting here on a Friday night going to & fro on this but the numbers have always been comparatively low everywhere bar Glasgow and Lanarkshire, now they're increasing, just have a look at Red's spreadsheets.  Do you honestly believe that had Glasgow and Lanarkshire's numbers been at similar levels to Edinburgh, East Lothian, etc, like three sometimes four times lower, we'd be at anywhere near the numbers we are at now, and shitting it going into the home stretch before the Xmas free-for-all?  Nope, we'd be probably quite comfortable knowing that come the new year we would be upping the restrictions somewhat to bring it back down to the manageable levels ahead of mass vaccination.  Their very own tiered system has been mismanaged to appease certain areas.  They had absolutely no choice to hit the 11 regions up for T4 or else they'd be liable for the deaths of many more Scots.  So much for the caution applied there!

Friday nights for many are not what they used to be.You probably should take a little time to examine the numbers with a look at the SG website. https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

I've had a look at Red's spreadsheets and i believe them to be correct but they do not tell the whole story. You seem to be claiming that our current numbers for all Scotland are because of Glasgow and Lanarkshire either skewing the figures or causing the transmissions to other areas, i'm not entirely sure which. I don't think either view is correct now and probably never was. The rate in Aberdeen is higher than Glasgow and Lanarkshire.

Glasgow and Lanarkshire have been higher than the rest but they are not now and haven't been so for a while. The best bet is that tier 4 restrictions have helped to lower the incidence. Today, Edinburgh and Glasgow are almost identical in their incidence and over the last week Glasgow has come down about 20% while Edinburgh has risen by a similar amount.The figures for Lanarkshire are almost identical. The worrying thing is that Glasgow and Lanarkshire are starting from a higher level and falling significantly while Edinburgh is starting from a relatively low level but now rising. If these trends continue Glasgow and Lanarkshire will be in tier 2 before Edinburgh.

I think you are also saying that for Glasgow and Lanarkshire tier 4 was not strict enough but it has worked and the numbers are now similar to those for Edinburgh and yet you are arguing that Edinburgh should be in tier 2. You claim that this favourable outcome for G and L  is somehow a failure and a failure brought about by the SG wishing to appease their friends in the west. I think the localised reduction and faster fall is an endorsement of the tier system.

I do agree about Christmas though.

Weakened Offender
30 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

That is the USA passed 300,000 Covid Deaths today. 

That's a horrific number of deaths. 

Pasquale for King
31 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

That is the USA passed 300,000 Covid Deaths today. 

Whilst the President can’t accept he was defeated and has filed 55 lawsuits that have no evidence and have been thrown out. 
We will probably never know the true death toll. 

13 hours ago, redjambo said:

I agree with you on this, ArcticJambo. The spread to Lanarkshire was in my mind the result of the inaction on Glasgow.

Well you've lost your mind. 

8 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

That's a horrific number of deaths. 

Fairly similar to ours per head of population. Edit. By ours I mean UK

Edited by GinRummy

12 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

Hang in there, I know some people who took a bit of time to shift it but got there in the end. Good luck. 

Cheers👍

Weakened Offender
24 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Fairly similar to ours per head of population. Edit. By ours I mean UK

Ours is horrific too. 

6 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Ours is horrific too. 

Aye I wasn’t disagreeing. Quite surprised the U.S. is so similar. I though proportionally they would have been much worse.  

Ainsley Harriott
7 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Ours is horrific too. 

Exactly but she's doing an amazing job apparently. Amazing what a lunchtime TV show can do to influence perception.

44 minutes ago, jonesy said:

It was Dr Alban's subtle and encouraging manner that helped him enjoy a reputation as one of the country's foremost counsellors. 

:)

:biggrin2:

Samuel Camazzola
11 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Not wishing to be a dick, but, what shops does Glasgow have that Edinburgh doesn't? 

Am thinking Edinburgh has (and bear with me as they are not the centre of the fashion world) Jenners, Harvey Nichols, Multrees Walk and various George Street shops..

Isn't Jenners just a House of Fraser/Sports Direct in a listed building with an expensive rent? 😂 

Not been in for several years but it was dire. TK Maxx was more organised and current than there. 

Just now, Ainsley Harriott said:

Exactly but she's doing an amazing job apparently. Amazing what a lunchtime TV show can do to influence perception.

I think she should be relegated to the wireless now. I finish up for the year on Friday and need better daytimetv than her. 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Isn't Jenners just a House of Fraser/Sports Direct in a listed building with an expensive rent? 😂 

Not been in for several years but it was dire. TK Maxx was more organised and current than there. 

It is. Was a house if Fraser before Ashley bought it. Meant they had one at each end of the street, which was crazy. 

and aye it’s shite now. 

Ainsley Harriott
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

I think she should be relegated to the wireless now. I finish up for the year on Friday and need better daytimetv than her. 

The Bargain Hunt reruns were an improvement. The Murrell Cow loves the limelight.

Ainsley Harriott
Just now, jonesy said:

Lunchtime TV show :) 

Today on "Nippy Woman", our special guest is The Dentist!

Only after he Gynacolagist broke the rules 😂😂

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Just the sheer numbers involved sounds terrible.

Tell you what though: if proportionally the UK ain't so different and so many of these Covid adjacent deaths are with folk who have underlying health issues, and yet we spend so much time mocking the health of the fatty Yanks, maybe this is a good wake up call with regards to, despite the money ploughed into the NHS, the UK is a pretty unhealthy nation.

I can only speak for me and everyone I know and children aside, we are all unhealthy 🙁

1 minute ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

The Bargain Hunt reruns were an improvement. The Murrell Cow loves the limelight.

Buy a vase for £32 then sell it on for £37. Daytime telly at its best. 

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Like or loathe her. She deserves/needs a break I think stepping back from the daily briefing would probably benefit her on a number of levels. 

The only problem is, if she doesn’t do it we will get Swinney and Freeman, who are ducking awful on many different levels, not least their speaking skills. 

I actually find the briefing becoming less and less useful as major announcements are done in Parliament. So the briefing are the numbers today, the usual FACTS message and the same pishy journalist questions. 

Not that is all that important in the scheme of things but I do think they would benefit from a change of format. 

Certainly needs a break, 

CavySlaveJambo
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Just the sheer numbers involved sounds terrible.

Tell you what though: if proportionally the UK ain't so different and so many of these Covid adjacent deaths are with folk who have underlying health issues, and yet we spend so much time mocking the health of the fatty Yanks, maybe this is a good wake up call with regards to, despite the money ploughed into the NHS, the UK is a pretty unhealthy nation.

It is.  Our diet is horrendous.  

However per 1 million the death rate is higher in Belgium, Italy and Spain.  

Seymour M Hersh
11 hours ago, pablo said:

Because I know what shops are in Edinburgh? I also shop regularly in Frontier Man, but don't really consider the labels they stock as lesser known either tbh.

Pablo on his way home after visiting the shops. Hope it wasn't too deer!

th-4.jpeg

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

There seems to be a rumour doing the rounds that a national lockdown is coming in Jan till the end of Feb. I have no idea how true it is but it’s emanated from the NHS. 

I think we will see another lockdown in Jan but far from convinced there is plan for one, though I suppose options are probably being explored as we speak on methods to curb the Christmas spike, 

Wouldn’t be surprised.

Hopefully this time next year things will have settled down a bit.

Weakened Offender
42 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Aye I wasn’t disagreeing. Quite surprised the U.S. is so similar. I though proportionally they would have been much worse.  

Ours is actually worse as we have ( I think) had more extreme restrictions in place throughout the pandemic. 

Konrad von Carstein
48 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

It sells designer brand clothing and did so before fat Mike got his sweaty hands on it.

Agree it has become a bit of a shambles if late...

Seymour M Hersh
5 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

It sells designer brand clothing and did so before fat Mike got his sweaty hands on it.

Jenners became a shambles the day House of Frazer got their grubby weejie paws on it.

Footballfirst

I visit Amsterdam two or three times a year so have been tracking the case numbers and restrictions over there.  I think there are parallels there to what may be starting to happen in Edinburgh now and will probably hit Glasgow and Lanarkshire in a few weeks time.

The Netherlands has been in a semi-lockdown state since 14 October with all hospitality closed (bars restaurants and cafes).  There was a quick downturn in the cases numbers with the 7 day/100K rate coming down rapidly from 400 before levelling off at half that. However cases are rising again just as fast as before with half the recent gains lost over two weeks. 

Their government is coming under increased pressure because of the continuing restrictions, particularly from the hospitality trade, because it cannot be blamed for the recent rise.  The anecdotal evidence is an increased incidence of house parties and other meetings despite restrictions.  The government has decided to continue restrictions over the festive period

https://www.government.nl/latest/news/2020/12/08/partial-lockdown-continues-to-apply-during-festive-season

The question being asked is whether it is better to open hospitality which is regulated and controls are visibly controlled or see social contact continue to increase in homes which are not subject to the same scrutiny.

I fear that Edinburgh, Scotland and the UK are following the same track.  

image.png.e0b9453b84dd70f8d683734b4af4d11b.png

1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

He was talking about the UK. 

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I visit Amsterdam two or three times a year so have been tracking the case numbers and restrictions over there.  I think there are parallels there to what may be starting to happen in Edinburgh now and will probably hit Glasgow and Lanarkshire in a few weeks time.

The Netherlands has been in a semi-lockdown state since 14 October with all hospitality closed (bars restaurants and cafes).  There was a quick downturn in the cases numbers with the 7 day/100K rate coming down rapidly from 400 before levelling off at half that. However cases are rising again just as fast as before with half the recent gains lost over two weeks. 

Their government is coming under increased pressure because of the continuing restrictions, particularly from the hospitality trade, because it cannot be blamed for the recent rise.  The anecdotal evidence is an increased incidence of house parties and other meetings despite restrictions.  The government has decided to continue restrictions over the festive period

https://www.government.nl/latest/news/2020/12/08/partial-lockdown-continues-to-apply-during-festive-season

The question being asked is whether it is better to open hospitality which is regulated and controls are visibly controlled or see social contact continue to increase in homes which are not subject to the same scrutiny.

I fear that Edinburgh, Scotland and the UK are following the same track.  

image.png.e0b9453b84dd70f8d683734b4af4d11b.png

Can't be that. People on here said that would happen ages and were told it was definitely hospitality...

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Can't be that. People on here said that would happen ages and were told it was definitely hospitality...

Anywhere people mix socially. 

If the pubs are shut they just get carry oots and have house parties. 

36 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Ours is actually worse as we have ( I think) had more extreme restrictions in place throughout the pandemic. 

My thoughts as well. I just don’t get how there’s are in any way comparible to ours given the amount of large cities in the states. You’d think all those people living on top of one another and the mixed messages from politicians would’ve made things much, much worse over there. 

Edited by GinRummy

Weakened Offender
33 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I took my wee one to the toy department a few years back. I remembered that as being almost magical, as a wee boy I used to love going there. It was a shambles. Full of utter shite. A real disappointment. 

Weakened Offender
7 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Your more intelligent than that

Are there other threads where Jonesy is evidencing intelligence? 

Glasgow city centre was quiet yesterday and looks to be similarly quiet today, so far.

Most people seem to be heading for the big shopping centres outside of town - Silverburn & the Fort.

Either way, shops & shopping are the main spreaders for this and I've no doubt the next 10 days will cause all sorts of issues in Jan/Feb. 

It's been so long since I've been out for a pint or for dinner, I don't even miss it now. Not seen any friends or family for months and can't even see my parents at Christmas. I'm actually happy that I've had to go to work all through this. If I waa working from home, I'd be going crazy.

Totally scunnered by the mess our governments have left us in. They get everything wrong.

39 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Anywhere people mix socially. 

If the pubs are shut they just get carry oots and have house parties. 

33 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The problem is they don’t have a clue where it’s spreading. They have never enabled backward tracing so are making assumptions around where the spread is occurring, 

Assumption is the mother of all ****s up. 

31 minutes ago, jonesy said:

There was an infographic on the BBC the other day with squares representing Test and Trace evidence for where transmissions have most likely occurred. It's shopping. Perhaps all those people forced out of the pubs and into the booze aisles of the supermarkets couldn't socially distance...

No, I don't think so. It's only pubs and universities. Work? School? Shops? No. Only hospitality.

Hotel for work? Corona free. Hotel for leisure? You'll definitely die.

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

It was Dr Alban's subtle and encouraging manner that helped him enjoy a reputation as one of the country's foremost counsellors. 

:)

:rofl:

:interehjrling:

30 minutes ago, jonesy said:

There was an infographic on the BBC the other day with squares representing Test and Trace evidence for where transmissions have most likely occurred. It's shopping. Perhaps all those people forced out of the pubs and into the booze aisles of the supermarkets couldn't socially distance...

On my now fairly rare journeys to the outside world, I find buses and supermarkets the places that give me the fear. 

On the other hand I've twice visited a pub/ restaurant for a meal and once Pizza hut at the Fort and felt perfectly safe. The social distancing, mask wearing when moving about and enforcement of rules regarding contact recording was excellent. 

They were strict though in Pizza hut three woman arrived and when it transpired they were from separate households the manager made one of them sit at a separate table. 

Due to distancing they were about ten yards away from the lone diner. 

So they started talking to the Lone dinner in rather loud tones. 

Next thing a rather fearsome big chap shouts at them to shut the **** up as he can't hear his wife and kid talking. 

This started about five minutes of shouting and swearing at each other and upsetting other diners  until the manager comes over and threatens to get the lot of them chucked out. 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

@Justin Z What was the USA’s position in relation to UK restrictions? 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic