Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Sounds pretty crap.

It does.

I'm glad that I work outdoors, but that's me now finished until the 1st March.

I'll probably not go over the door in January, but hopefully I get my holiday to Lanzarote in February.

Spring is my favorite time of year, I'm so looking forward to those daffodils popping out next year.

2020 can GTF 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It does.

I'll probably not go over the door in January, but hopefully I get my holiday to Lanzarote in February.

Spring is my favorite time of year, I'm so looking forward to those daffodils popping out next year.

2020 can GTF 

👍

13 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It does.

2020 can GTF 

:spoton:

38 minutes ago, JWL said:

Been WFH since March and expect to be until April at the earliest (not council I may add). Really beginning to take its toll now. Start work and it's dark outside, finish work and it's dark outside. Used to go to Westgate Farm after work a couple of times a week for a few beers but absolutely feck all to do now.

I feel for you . Similar to me , hating it now . Initially felt like a skive but now the novelty has worn off , lack of colleague interaction face to face , lack of exercise , going out getting fresh air , etc so many down

sides to it . Unfortunately it’s the way forward , the pandemic has opened up a Pandora’s box 

3 hours ago, westbow said:

I heard from an Edinburgh council employee that he will be WFH until at least mid April. Over a year WFH, that must suck.

My work in one of the big financial services companies has no date after attending a conference call with a director.

5 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

There seems to be similarities to the Spanish Flu in terms of waves.

Spanish flu wave one March 1918, wave two Autumn 1918, wave three Winter 1918/19. I know we haven't had a 3rd wave of covid yet, but they are expecting it in January

Spanish flu had disappeared by summer 1919 without any vaccine

Edit. Spanish flu's deadliest wave seemed to be the 2nd wave

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Spanish Flu & Swine Flu both one and the same strain H1N1 and is also one of the strains that is in this years flu vaccine.

I suppose the public would have been spooked senseless if the authorities had mentioned that in addition to Covid-19 we'd also potentially have the same flu strain that caused the Spanish Flu outbreak in 1918 doing the rounds at the same time.

The big difference this time is the science.

Full genetic code of the virus was shared with everyone by China on January 11. A key factor in the development of vaccines. 

And also a big question for all Governments on how quickly they acted. 

7 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I feel for you . Similar to me , hating it now . Initially felt like a skive but now the novelty has worn off , lack of colleague interaction face to face , lack of exercise , going out getting fresh air , etc so many down

sides to it . Unfortunately it’s the way forward , the pandemic has opened up a Pandora’s box 

I got moved into a brand new team with people I hadn't worked with and was overloaded with work.

Sick of being stuck at home now.  Need to get out more but its now dark both ends of the day and don't want to mix with the school emptying (without masks or social distancing) to the chippy and/or McDonalds at lunchtime.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

I got moved into a brand new team with people I hadn't worked with and was overloaded with work.

Sick of being stuck at home now.  Need to get out more but its now dark both ends of the day and don't want to mix with the school emptying (without masks or social distancing) to the chippy and/or McDonalds at lunchtime.

Yes it’s really not at all healthy either mentally or physically although some people may prefer it 

jack D and coke
On 11/12/2020 at 11:22, jonesy said:

There's no danger she'll give up voluntarily before at doing her best to force through and campaign on a new independence referendum, and the chance to be the woman who broke the shackles of Westminster for the subjugated Scottish nation.

On 11/12/2020 at 11:32, Lord BJ said:

Your probably right

Why would she?? Has the British govt stopped this brexit nonsense? Did America not just have an election? What is the difference? When will people get it into their heads what the SNP is actually for??

24 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

It would be okay if it was a choice. I'd probably work from home 2 or 3 times a week if it was a choice. The fact that it's forced upon you and there is just this monotonous repetition of each day with no lunchtime pint and pie and chips or pint after work. Don't want to get into the whole hospitality debate again but I still can't understand why pubs and restaurants aren't allowed to open. I was in Sainsbury's yesterday and apart from masks, it's as if lockdown never happened. At least in the bars and restaurants I was in before this 3 week circuit break had strict regulations in place regarding Track and Trace, Social Distancing etc. Just really don't think the SG are really grasping how much this is affecting the mental health of the country at all.

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Having a drink tonight and maybe something else 😉

I think she might decide go due to the shitstorm of COVID and agree with another poster probably unlikely due to her passion of independence. Results in brexit rant and claims of people not knowing what SNP afre all about.

Thinking your reading something that aint their bud👍

Aye I’m coked oot my nut mate. 
The amount of people who fail to grasp what the snp are about is mind blowing. 
I mean who would’ve though that they want indy. 

18 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

This is random, see weed thread you’ll excuse me, nearly half your posts on JKB have been on this thread. 

That amazes me.

Not a negative or anything just an observation.

****ing COVID has taken up nearly half your time of JKB.

I really don’t know what to say ! 

36 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

You could just go for a walk at lunch time that didn’t involve going to MacDonalds or a chippy🤷🏻‍♂️

That takes out 2/3rds of circular routes around the flat!

Dagger Is Back

One of my mates who works for a bank has been WFH from the off, and has been told this won’t change until May at the earliest.

He says one of the big issues is that his house IS his office. There’s no escape from the work place.

Having to be really disciplined in terms of shutting down the laptop, going for lunch/walk etc 

The novelty has definitely worn off

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

That I should leave the volcano alone probably 😂

Lol oh yes ! I didn’t think I had posted that much on this thread ! In my defence it has been the event of the year I suppose  I do post on other threads . Usually the film or tv ones or like today the “weed “and “Barbara Windsor”  one, . Tend to post more on the shed as opposed to the terrace as my expertise/ analysis  regarding football isn’t that great so tend to shy away from topics on there as I would get pelted ( like I don’t on this !) hope the volcano hasn’t erupted 😂😂

Nucky Thompson
27 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Aye I’m coked oot my nut mate. 

:D Get off JKB. It will save the cringe in the morning 

5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Honestly no judgement or anything like that. I usually post on my phone on tonight using my iPad and it brings post count and stuff up and top posters on thread, which I don’t normally see. Well my mind a went a wondering.

I think if I had a point it was probably was demonstrating how big a event COVID was.

I get not posting on terrace and I say was nothing more than just randomness.

You know how it goes 👍

No that’s fine no offence taken at all . Yeah well probably similar to you watching tv or doing something else with one eye on this too , so end up posting more than likely . I’m gonna watch a film soon so I’ll try stay away from this 😂 it ruins my concentration 

I've been WFH since lockdown in March. At first it was a novelty. Bit harder now due to the shorter days.

It has opened my eyes a bit though as I can work at home - I didn't think I could. Granted I've had to go into the office a handful of times since March but otherwise been at home.

I certainly don't miss the commute. That's one thing I've got back - time. And I can sit down and have dinner with the family and not come in at 6:30 and heat my already made dinner in the microwave.

And the whole being in for the plumber, or a parcel delivery is useful and not having to use annual leave for stuff like that.

25 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

One of my mates who works for a bank has been WFH from the off, and has been told this won’t change until May at the earliest.

He says one of the big issues is that his house IS his office. There’s no escape from the work place.

Having to be really disciplined in terms of shutting down the laptop, going for lunch/walk etc 

Hopefully workplaces allow people to have a balance. For some the novelty definitely won’t have worn off, they will manage their time better and actually be able to see their family a lot more. Plus the savings on commuting. I get the 1 bedroom flat being your home/office isn’t practical, but plenty people aren’t in that situation, so will be more than happy to continue to work from home.

I also don’t think public sector really have the excuse to continue to pay ridiculous amounts on large office spaces, when working from home has been proven to work.

Just now, heartsfc_fan said:

I've been WFH since lockdown in March. At first it was a novelty. Bit harder now due to the shorter days.

It has opened my eyes a bit though as I can work at home - I didn't think I could. Granted I've had to go into the office a handful of times since March but otherwise been at home.

I certainly don't miss the commute. That's one thing I've got back - time. And I can sit down and have dinner with the family and not come in at 6:30 and heat my already made dinner in the microwave.

And the whole being in for the plumber, or a parcel delivery is useful and not having to use annual leave for stuff like that.

As if by magic you’re basically the type of person I’ve described above. :lol:

CavySlaveJambo
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

And also a big question for all Governments on how quickly they acted. 

Another question would be: could the world have been told about the virus before the end of 2019 if Trump hadn’t taken the CDC pandemic team away from China.   Virus emerged mid-November and China told WHO Hogmanay.  That is a long period of time for the virus to escape, which we know it had from doctors going back and testing earlier samples 

2 minutes ago, Do The Dance said:

As if by magic you’re basically the type of person I’ve described above. :lol:

😁👍

4 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

One of the big things for me is eating healthier. Before I would get in from work and if I did not have anything out of the freezer the temptation to order a takeaway would be big. I now can prep things over my lunch break and the time saved from commuting also helps

28 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Yip, the novelty is definitely wearing off. The New Year will be a turning point for most I think.  We've had this sh*t show for 9 months now. A vaccine is available, let the Army roll it out and get the vulnerable vaccinated. Politicians and scientists are trying to drag this out for another 6 months, despite the vaccine, "protect the NHS", "save lives", the same old mantra. Most folk will not adhere to more population control measures next year and the hospitality industry will be decimated. In Scotland we've had 100k positive cases - 1.6% of the population- and of those, 5% have sadly died, the majority with underlying health conditions.  Back in March there was ludicrous talk of 80% of the population being infected and even 20% of the workforce being off sick. We now know that the threat of Covid was grossly overstated so we need to think about starting January by adopting a common sense approach. Sturgeon's comments about not booking summer holidays were probably the most ridiculous comments made since this all began. 

9 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

One of the big things for me is eating healthier. Before I would get in from work and if I did not have anything out of the freezer the temptation to order a takeaway would be big. I now can prep things over my lunch break and the time saved from commuting also helps

Absolutely.

Slow-cooker is a big plus. Prep whatever at lunch time and shove it in. Family of 4 fed with little faff at dinner time.

CavySlaveJambo
11 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Sturgeon's comments about not booking summer holidays were probably the most ridiculous comments made since this all began. 

And far too late. some people book over a year in advance.  plenty of people have rescheduled 2020 trips from between March and October. 

5 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

And far too late. some people book over a year in advance.  plenty of people have rescheduled 2020 trips from between March and October. 

Yes, exactly. And actively discouraging people from booking shows a reckless disregard for the travel industry and the thousands of jobs that are associated with that sector. 

CavySlaveJambo
5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, exactly. And actively discouraging people from booking shows a reckless disregard for the travel industry and the thousands of jobs that are associated with that sector. 

AND if people are willing to isolate on return if necessary (I am), it is also good for people's mental health to have something to look forward too.  I know that is the case for me, even though I currently am not coping at all. Without the trip that is planned to see Mr M Mouse it would be so much harder. 

Just now, CavySlaveJambo said:

AND if people are willing to isolate on return if necessary (I am), it is also good for people's mental health to have something to look forward too.  I know that is the case for me, even though I currently am not coping at all. Without the trip that is planned to see Mr M Mouse it would be so much harder. 

Yes, you're right Cavy. It's important to have the light at the end of the tunnel.  I'm sure you'll get your trip away next year👍

11 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

I’m booking foo fighter tickets for Lisbon next June. Fek it. 
need something to look forward to even if it gets called off etc 

Good luck. Was tempted to book for this year before covid.

I passed on Pearl Jam after this year was cancelled and they put two dates next year a few months later.

I just don't see these happening or if they find a way, being safe.  My view is you need everyone vaccinated first, and those dates will be too soon.

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Honestly no judgement or anything like that. I usually post on my phone on tonight using my iPad and it brings post count and stuff up and top posters on thread, which I don’t normally see. Well my mind a went a wondering.

I think if I had a point it was probably was demonstrating how big a event COVID was.

I get not posting on terrace and I say was nothing more than just randomness.

You know how it goes 👍

:) I've never seen that, although I remember that we did have that facility on one of he previous incarnations of the forum. How do you see it?

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Good luck. Was tempted to book for this year before covid.

I passed on Pearl Jam after this year was cancelled and they put two dates next year a few months later.

I just don't see these happening or if they find a way, being safe.  My view is you need everyone vaccinated first, and those dates will be too soon.

I agree. Standing tickets only. Ah well it was a dream

Nucky Thompson

Just watched the Joshua fight and 1000 fans made the difference.

I  watched live bands and had a bevy just over the border up until the 31st October.

oh I so with health matters weren't devolved 

13 hours ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Tier 3 just destroys mental health outside the cities though especially if you are either long term sick/disabled (and not high risk) or retired.  

And I know I am exempt from the travel restrictions.  But others will not be. 

How can you be exempt from travel restrictions. I believe there are reasonable excuses for travel like for medical care, court appearances and provide care etc. No one is exempt though. 

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

I don’t know how you get it to appear it’s just there when go into iPad on RHS.

image.thumb.jpeg.0fc67695778676731d2350c3031f7d79.jpeg

Cheers, Lord BJ. That explains it as I have that column "suppressed" in my browser so that the posts themselves stretch for the whole width of the page. Shame it's only the top 4 - it would be interesting to see how much crap I've posted on each thread. :)

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Funnily enough did wonder similar. This thread has dominated my JKB existence since March.

Sadly I suspect I would probably make the top 10:posters on volume on this thread☹️ Some may think I’m further up the posting garbage top 10🤷🏻‍♂️

Also wondered if longest thread on JKB 

It’s got a long way to go to be the longest thread.

Rangers soap opera thread is 2119 pages.

10 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The old Rangers one was longer, iirc. It appears to have been deleted (or archived) now, but I seem to remember it generated some amusement when it got to page 1690. :)

Edit: Ah, I didn't realise it was still around.

Edited by redjambo

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The old Rangers one was longer, iirc. It appears to have been deleted (or archived) now, but I seem to remember it generated some amusement when it got to page 1690. :)

Edit: Ah, I didn't realise it was still around.

See previous post.

It was locked.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Question for the WFH guys

This is a topic of conversation at our work, where probably half are working from home and the rest of us are expendable😜

Are you putting in a full shift, hours wise or can you cram all your work in and get it done quicker,  to give yourselves more me time 

Our  WFH have officially been told to make sure they are getting an hours break at lunch for walks, away from screen etc

10 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Lol oh yes ! I didn’t think I had posted that much on this thread ! In my defence it has been the event of the year I suppose  I do post on other threads . Usually the film or tv ones or like today the “weed “and “Barbara Windsor”  one, . Tend to post more on the shed as opposed to the terrace as my expertise/ analysis  regarding football isn’t that great so tend to shy away from topics on there as I would get pelted ( like I don’t on this !) hope the volcano hasn’t erupted 😂😂

You think lack of knowledge has ever stopped anyone posting on the terrace? 

:wow:

I thought it was a prerequisite!

CavySlaveJambo
3 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

How can you be exempt from travel restrictions. I believe there are reasonable excuses for travel like for medical care, court appearances and provide care etc. No one is exempt though. 

Autism. According to the NAS. 

CavySlaveJambo

Could this be a way to get the outbreak back under control. In home Antigen testing .  Looks like it could be more accurate than both PCR and Lateral Flow tests too. 

11 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

But you miss the office banter 😕.

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

But you miss the office banter 😕.

This is true. We do a daily team call which makes up for it a bit.

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Funnily enough did wonder similar. This thread has dominated my JKB existence since March.

Sadly I suspect I would probably make the top 10:posters on volume on this thread☹️ Some may think I’m further up the posting garbage top 10🤷🏻‍♂️

I've hardly said a thing on here for ages. And I'm still in the top 4 of the utter posting of bollox list. :D

1 hour ago, redtipsjambo said:

Question for the WFH guys

This is a topic of conversation at our work, where probably half are working from home and the rest of us are expendable😜

Are you putting in a full shift, hours wise or can you cram all your work in and get it done quicker,  to give yourselves more me time 

Our  WFH have officially been told to make sure they are getting an hours break at lunch for walks, away from screen etc

I have my doubts of a few of my colleague's efforts. And the constant child care excuses. One has a partner who doesn't work, but he always seems to have to take care of a sick child or something. While it's unfortunate that some have child care issues, is it fair for others to pick up the slack without any compensation? A one off is fine, but if it's most days, every week, for the whole year... a line has to be drawn surely! I've started to take my foot off the gas and I'm only working as hard as those who pull the least. Shit will hit the fan, but I think it has to for management to actually pay attention to workload imbalance.

I much prefer being in the office. There's the social aspects too, which WFH doesn't provide. Sure video chat can help but it's not the same as just some banter throughout the day.

I hope everyone is doing OK this fine Sunday morning. The day after a resounding pumping of the team fae the Bible. 

Roll on this week of weeks and next week, all going well we'll be celebrating a nice early Christmas prezzie fae Santa. 

Mon Hearts! Intae thim. 

:heartscup:  :robboyas: :rudiyas:

:yas:

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic