Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

"Im a resident of the city of Glasgow" - bingo there she goes again 

Determined to mention growing up in Ayr too, I think she’s definitely needs a break as to her credit she’s been there 5 days a week for 9 months. Unlike some that have had 4 holidays by Easter and doesn’t seem too keen on doing much work. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, frankblack said:

No worries.  I am generally ok, but if I rush posts sometimes the spelling drifts!

Used to have a spell checker in my browser...

My phone changes the words I want to write sometimes so that doesn’t always help either, I then check the spelling or the term and I’m right 🙈

8 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I don’t defend this government very often at all, I more often than not disagree with them. 

Indeed. Frank was just blindly hitting out.

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

My phone changes the words I want to write sometimes so that doesn’t always help either, I then check the spelling or the term and I’m right 🙈

I turned off the autocorrect on my phone for that reason.

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Indeed. Frank was just blindly hitting out.

Not really, red.  You will probably see that every time I or another poster take a shot at the SG mismanagement of the pandemic, and notably the shitshow over Edinburgh, he almost always posts a defence.

Edited by frankblack

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Today's per-100,000 7-day case rates around the councils:

7-day per-100,000 cases              
Council Area Tier Today Yesterday   Start of T4’s       9 Dec 8 Dec 7 Dec 6 Dec 5 Dec
Clackmannanshire 3 167 181 -14 165 +2     198 206 227 194 217
East Ayrshire 3 160 149 +11 152 +8     148 150 132 123 121
North Ayrshire 3 160 145 +15 124 +36     154 155 144 139 136
Renfrewshire 3 138 128 +10 260 -122     128 149 155 152 158
Glasgow City 3 135 142 -7 235 -100     146 157 159 162 156
North Lanarkshire 3 129 141 -12 235 -106     142 140 156 152 153
South Lanarkshire 3 127 124 +3 233 -106     124 131 138 128 136
West Lothian 3 125 122 +3 193 -68     123 122 116 116 110
Midlothian 3 123 93 +30 101 +22     84 99 94 82 86
East Lothian 2 122 114 +8 48 +74     99 84 76 71 66
East Renfrewshire 3 119 125 -6 195 -76     127 137 137 154 150
Fife 3 118 114 +4 116 +2     106 107 111 105 101
Aberdeen City 2 114 96 +18 51 +63     95 80 80 66 73
Dundee City 3 111 104 +7 102 +9     112 115 110 104 101
South Ayrshire 3 111 101 +10 153 -42     99 101 100 103 101
East Dunbartonshire 3 104 100 +4 161 -57     100 96 105 110 101
Falkirk 2 99 104 -5 85 +14     80 71 79 76 68
Edinburgh City 3 93 86 +7 84 +9     89 82 77 70 72
Stirling 3 91 90 +1 210 -119     83 89 83 70 84
Aberdeenshire 2 85 86 -1 64 +21     90 87 88 92 90
Perth and Kinross 3 75 83 -8 116 -41     94 96 94 89 100
West Dunbartonshire 3 74 63 +11 142 -68     67 71 76 70 87
Angus 2 60 55 +5 88 -28     65 59 62 67 64
Inverclyde 2 57 51 +6 99 -42     54 60 59 67 57
Scottish Borders 1 56 52 +4 74 -18     48 41 40 37 35
Argyll and Bute 2 48 154 -106 31 +17     162 165 166 176 173
Dumfries & Galloway 1 25 27 -2 34 -9     26 26 26 23 21
Moray 1 19 14 +5 25 -6     15 19 16 14 11
Na h-Eileanan Siar 1 15 15 0 0 +15     4 4 15 15 15
Highland 1 13 13 0 19 -6     11 9 10 18 17
Orkney Islands 1 0 0 0 4 -4     0 0 4 4 4
Shetland Islands 1 0 0 0 13 -13     4 4 4 4 4
Scotland   103 102 +1 135 -32     103 104 105 99 101

There's a 50% increase in East Lothian over 4 days. Their incidence is similar to Glasgow now. 

Could that be anything to do with the pubs opening up or is there another reason?

14 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I don’t defend this government very often at all, I more often than not disagree with them. 

Go back and read your posts on this thread, all you’ve done is defend the indefensible 

1 minute ago, coconut doug said:

There's a 50% increase in East Lothian over 4 days. Their incidence is similar to Glasgow now. 

Could that be anything to do with the pubs opening up or is there another reason?

Perhaps if you post the breakdown of the track and trace by cause we could analyse it, Doug.

Anything else is speculation.

17 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Not really, red.  You will probably see that every time I or another poster take a shot at the SG mismanagement of the pandemic, and notably the shitshow over Edinburgh, he almost always posts a defence.

Fair enough, Frank. That's not how I've seen it though. I've defended the SG on a number of occasions too, so it probably comes across that I'm a defender of the government at all costs too. That's most certainly not the case for me, and I don't think it is for Brian either. The SG has definitely made some bad mistakes, but they've also made some good decisions too. Given the strategy they've adopted (i.e. not the backwards-tracing, hard-hitting, closed system approach that I would have preferred, but perhaps the Scottish population wouldn't have accepted), they've just about got pass marks from me. I know you don't feel the same way though.

I guess what I was reacting against is the belief that anyone actually supports everything that the SG has done during this pandemic. I don't think that's true, on this forum anyway.

Anyway, the latest boo-boo is that Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire should have been pumped up to Tier 3 long before now. It's another problem in the making that should have been nipped in the bud.

Edited by redjambo

5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Perhaps if you post the breakdown of the track and trace by cause we could analyse it, Doug.

A very good point. We the punters aren't given enough information to analyse the reasons for the cases that arise and therefore make decisions on that data. Up here in the North East, for example, it is known that we have huge problems in at least two care homes (when the news eventually hit the media), but no idea from day to day how many cases are in those care homes, in other clusters, or generally out in the community. It effectively means that we have to make decisions blind (if you don't mind me using the same adjective as before).

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Fair enough, Frank. That's not how I've seen it though. I've defended the SG on a number of occasions too, so it probably comes across that I'm a defender of the government at all costs too. That's most certainly not the case for me, and I don't think it is for Brian either. The SG has definitely made some bad mistakes, but they've also made some good decisions too. Given the strategy they've adopted (i.e. not the backwards-tracing, hard-hitting, closed system approach that I would have preferred, but perhaps the Scottish population wouldn't have accepted), they've just about got pass marks from me. I know you don't feel the same way though.

I guess what I was reacting against is the belief that anyone actually supports everything that the SG has done during this pandemic. I don't think that's true, on this forum anyway.

Anyway, the latest boo-boo is that Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire should have been pumped up to Tier 3 long before now. It's another problem in the making that should have been nipped in the bud before now.

I don't really recall us disagreeing too often on this thread.

I supported the SG approach up until around July/August when the Schools and Universities problems caused me great concern as to the impact on the recovery.

The "two week circuit breaker" was a step too far, and I raised strong objections that they would use this as an excuse to lock us down for the rest of the year.  That has proven to be correct.

This tier system is a shambles and should have been taken out of political control and been driven purely by the science with full transparency.

The way that Edinburgh has been treated compared to other cities like Aberdeen and Glasgow is too much for many to swallow through here.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

A very good point. We the punters aren't given enough information to analyse the reasons for the cases that arise and therefore make decisions on that data. Up here in the North East, for example, it is known that we have huge problems in at least two care homes (when the news eventually hit the media), but no idea from day to day how many cases are in those care homes, in other clusters, or generally out in the community. It effectively means that we have to make decisions blind (if you don't mind me using the same adjective as before).

Myself and others have been posting similar links to outbreaks in schools and universities and these clusters are never discussed by the SG on their briefings.

All I am asking for is full transparency so we can truly understand the reasons for why two cities with similar numbers are on different tiers.

I do feel if we had an understanding of the numbers we could see more targeted action in terms of testing.

Just now, frankblack said:

I supported the SG approach up until around July/August when the Schools and Universities problems caused me great concern as to the impact on the recovery.

The "two week circuit breaker" was a step too far, and I raised strong objections that they would use this as an excuse to lock us down for the rest of the year.  That has proven to be correct.

This tier system is a shambles and should have been taken out of political control and been driven purely by the science with full transparency.

The way that Edinburgh has been treated compared to other cities like Aberdeen and Glasgow is too much for many to swallow through here.

I would disagree in that I think that the tier system, in theory at least, is a good idea. Even before it was brought in, I was saying that the attacks on this virus should be localised and focussed, and the tier system provides a way of doing this. From the statistics, the tier 4's had a significant impact on lowering the infection rates in the most badly-affected areas. However, there have been bad decisions made regarding the tier system, mostly related to not acting quickly enough (although I can see why the SG doesn't want to be putting an area up and down a tier with too much frequency as this fecks up local businesses etc who need to know where they stand). Also, there have been some decisions that have acted to alienate the public who need to be on board if this is all going to work - the forbidding of a drink or two with a meal being one of the most obvious ones.

Maroon Sailor
32 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Determined to mention growing up in Ayr too, I think she’s definitely needs a break as to her credit she’s been there 5 days a week for 9 months. Unlike some that have had 4 holidays by Easter and doesn’t seem too keen on doing much work. 

She loves it.

She's a bit of a micro manager / control freak but no surprise she won't let the likes of Freeman, Swinney and Forbes loose at these daily briefings.

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I would disagree in that I think that the tier system, in theory at least, is a good idea. Even before it was brought in, I was saying that the attacks on this virus should be localised and focussed, and the tier system provides a way of doing this. From the statistics, the tier 4's had a significant impact on lowering the infection rates in the most badly-affected areas. However, there have been bad decisions made regarding the tier system, mostly related to not acting quickly enough (although I can see why the SG doesn't want to be putting an area up and down a tier with too much frequency as this fecks up local businesses etc who need to know where they stand). Also, there have been some decisions that have acted to alienate the public who need to be on board if this is all going to work - the forbidding of a drink or two with a meal being one of the most obvious ones.

I think we are generally in agreement.  A clear and transparent tier system backed with targeted action such as mass testing in stuggling areas could have worked better.

I've had a day off today and been up town, and the number of closed pubs and shops as you get a bus along the city centre is staggering.

5 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

She loves it.

She's a bit of a micro manager / control freak but no surprise she won't let the likes of Freeman, Swinney and Forbes loose at these daily briefings.

Her 5 days a week showing isnt actually a positive thing I would say. Its been like a one woman party show.  Its strikes of a cult ideology.  Mind you the others are fairly hopeless . Least she presents it all very well and articulately. 

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Her 5 days a week showing isnt actually a positive thing I would say. Its been like a one woman party show.  Its strikes of a cult ideology.  Mind you the others are fairly hopeless . Least she presents it all very well and articulately. 

I agree

I genuinely think she doesn't trust anyone else to do them, so she might have been better off cutting these briefings to Tuesdays and Wednesdays with FM questions in it's usual Thursday spot.

38 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Is the guy not entitled to his opinion on an equal basis to you?  You've had a bit of a shocker in that little flurry of posts mate.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

This decision to let people mix at Christmas - I’m not disappointed by it personally but when you look at it in the context of the panic about rising infection rates, it’s utterly insane. Basically a government scared of upsetting people.

And typical of the ludicrous way the virus has been handled.

December 10th USA statistics:

New cases 223,570, 14 day change +28%

New Deaths 2923 +49%

Source: New York Times

Totally out of control. Jokers like Gov. DeSantis of Florida (big Trump supporter) who initially refused to release information about numbers of covid hospitalisations, and only provided it after threats of litigation. They still do not provide lists of outbreaks at businesses and other public places. That is what they are up against over there.

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Is the guy not entitled to his opinion on an equal basis to you?  You've had a bit of a shocker in that little flurry of posts mate.

Firstly, he has been following me around this board with a vendetta and then accused me of being paranoid!

Secondly another poster has also challenged his post that claimed he wasn't defending the SG throughout this thread.

6 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

This decision to let people mix at Christmas - I’m not disappointed by it personally but when you look at it in the context of the panic about rising infection rates, it’s utterly insane. Basically a government scared of upsetting people.

And typical of the ludicrous way the virus has been handled.

I have to agree.

Most people were going to do what they wanted anyway, as the trust has long since gone in the devolved and WM government handling of the pandemic.

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Firstly, he has been following me around this board with a vendetta and then accused me of being paranoid!

Secondly another poster has also challenged his post that claimed he wasn't defending the SG throughout this thread.

It all stemmed from someone else making a comment about spelling.  If you look back at it it was all a bit silly.  He's entitled to defend the SG.

The SG gets deserved criticism and also gets some ludicrously undeserved criticism.  People should not be shouted down from defending them.

34 minutes ago, frankblack said:

We don't have a breakdown of track and trace by cause. We know what the causes are and we know that increases in interaction rise as we move from tier 3 to 2.

We cannot realistically ever know just how transmission takes place and how it is spread with the level of detail you keep asking for. Just one transmission in the pub or anywhere else could very quickly infect a whole family or care home. Just one transmission in the care home could infect a whole family or large part of the clientele of a pub. What counts is the amount and type of interaction which has increased in East Lothian. 

I also don't believe that it is speculation to state that infections increase when the pubs are open. Suggesting that they are somehow immune from this crisis because they have put up a few screens is nonsensical. We know there has been transmission in care homes where protection levels are much higher than pubs. What's changed in E Lothian, is it the pubs or the care homes?

Just now, Victorian said:

It all stemmed from someone else making a comment about spelling.  If you look back at it it was all a bit silly.  He's entitled to defend the SG.

The SG gets deserved criticism and also gets some ludicrously undeserved criticism.  People should not be shouted down from defending them.

I'm sure you know what its like when you have a feud running with posters on the board always jumping in when you do have a slip.

My mistake is not putting them on ignore, but I've never done that to be fair.

1 minute ago, coconut doug said:

We don't have a breakdown of track and trace by cause. We know what the causes are and we know that increases in interaction rise as we move from tier 3 to 2.

We cannot realistically ever know just how transmission takes place and how it is spread with the level of detail you keep asking for. Just one transmission in the pub or anywhere else could very quickly infect a whole family or care home. Just one transmission in the care home could infect a whole family or large part of the clientele of a pub. What counts is the amount and type of interaction which has increased in East Lothian. 

I also don't believe that it is speculation to state that infections increase when the pubs are open. Suggesting that they are somehow immune from this crisis because they have put up a few screens is nonsensical. We know there has been transmission in care homes where protection levels are much higher than pubs. What's changed in E Lothian, is it the pubs or the care homes?

I think you are contradicting yourself, Doug.

The paragraph highlighted is the definition of speculation!

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

I'm sure you know what its like when you have a feud running with posters on the board always jumping in when you do have a slip.

My mistake is not putting them on ignore, but I've never done that to be fair.

Fair enough.  

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Frank, you lost your shit on this thread a long time. You're almost as bonkers as Gonzo. Please take responsibility for that before having a much-needed long lie down. 

Just now, Weakened Offender said:

Frank, you lost your shit on this thread a long time. You're almost as bonkers as Gonzo. Please take responsibility for that before having a much-needed long lie down. 

Given your reputation on this board I'll take that as a compliment. 👍

Weakened Offender
Just now, frankblack said:

Given your reputation on this board I'll take that as a compliment. 👍

Get some love, fella. Life's too short to be as poisonous as you are. ❤️

The Mighty Thor

I've not been across the numbers lately but the last 2 days around 1000 new cases, is that not where we were 4 weeks ago when it was all going to rat shit?

Nucky Thompson
14 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Pubs were open in July and the cases remained low.

The pubs have been largely closed since October and the cases are still rising in the West of Scotland

Heartsmad1874
1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

:lol: How has Lothian Health Board ended up being the second worst in Scotland today?

Uni testing is probably effecting Edinburghs numbers. It's a real shame they are not telling us where in the community these are coming from i.e. care homes, hospitals and students.

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I've not been across the numbers lately but the last 2 days around 1000 new cases, is that not where we were 4 weeks ago when it was all going to rat shit?

The positivity rate has stayed steady at between 4-5%.

I think there's been a big increase in tests carried out

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Pubs were open in July and the cases remained low.

The pubs have been largely closed since October and the cases are still rising in the West of Scotland

True

The hospitality sector have had a raw deal in all this.

Pasquale for King
59 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

She loves it.

I didn’t say she didn’t just that she needs a break,I think they should all have a turn at least once a week. Leitch certainly gives her a breather as he likes to talk. 

8 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Uni testing is probably effecting Edinburghs numbers. It's a real shame they are not telling us where in the community these are coming from i.e. care homes, hospitals and students.

Yes, it's unfortunate they can't, or rather, choose not to, be more transparent.  I suspect that doing so would open up the subjectivity in their system to more scrutiny, and thus a potential loss in control.  If they have a near infallable system then I'm sure they have nothing to fear. 

I'm sure someone however, will be along shortly to say that privacy rights prevent certain data being released, that lags in the data collection add to the complexity of the data and decision-making process and would only make it near impossible for Jimmy Layman to understand, and so-on.

15 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

True

The hospitality sector have had a raw deal in all this.

The hospitality sector has been thrown under a bus in order for the gov to be seen to be doing something. 

CavySlaveJambo
1 hour ago, coconut doug said:

Massive increase in Midlothian too. 

42 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Surely the problem in the late summer was a result of opening up travel as explained by the scientists yesterday.

They claim the second wave was a result of more travel and they know this because of genomic tracing.

At the time i remember the SG being criticised for overly restrictive travel rules. People coming back from holiday brought many strains back with them at a time when the virus was all but gone in Scotland.

The tier system has been a success too. The circuit breaker helped get the figures down and the tiered system has enable us, unlike the rUK to avoid full lockdown since as well as keeping our figures lower than ruk.

The system is transparent, the figures you repeatedly ask for cannot be compiled. It is driven by science but we cannot have every decision made on the basis of it. Science in this situation is not separated from politics. Absolutely every sensible person now knows that the decision making process is a balancing act where different societies have different priorities. I am pleased education is a priority and opening the pubs is not, so it seems are most of the people in Scotland as according to opinion polls we heartily endorse the FM's handling of the crisis. Education is a higher priority than opening the pubs, if it were not we would be fulfilling all the stereotypes our detractors like to remind us of. 

You keep moaning about Edinburgh being treated badly but the reasoning has been clear all along. We have not quite been low enough for long enough to justify tier 2. Now that the figures are going up in the area how can any responsible government reduce restrictions? Can you imagine the reaction if we go down this week (based on Science) only to go to tier 4 next week? Glasgow has been a success too. It avoided full lockdown and now has figures similar to Edinburgh.

40 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I think you are contradicting yourself, Doug.

The paragraph highlighted is the definition of speculation!

A reasoned analysis and valid conclusion i would say based on the information i have.

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

You keep moaning about Edinburgh being treated badly but the reasoning has been clear all along. We have not quite been low enough for long enough to justify tier 2. Now that the figures are going up in the area how can any responsible government reduce restrictions? Can you imagine the reaction if we go down this week (based on Science) only to go to tier 4 next week? Glasgow has been a success too. It avoided full lockdown and now has figures similar to Edinburgh.

That's not true. Edinburgh met all the criteria and Sturgeon went against all her health advisors

Edinburgh city figures are still a lot less than Glasgow city

CavySlaveJambo

Public Health Scotland wanted Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire in Tier 3.   It was overruled by the Government.  Transparency is limited to 2-3 lines plus what ever comes out data wise from the Scottish Govt.  It would be nice if all considerations were listed behind the reasons and not just the one - two lines given. 

Brighton Jambo
6 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Your probably right

I don’t think the public care enough about all the Salmond affair for her popularity to drop enough for her to feel forced out.

She will be brought down by her own party.  All the moves behind the scenes are to try and replace her with a more aggressive indy leader.   She is on borrowed time before a serious leadership challenge and she is losing control of key elements of the party.

Covid won’t make her quit but I wonder if she sees the party turning against her and her husband she might.  She must feel so hacked off that all this internal politics is happening during Covid and actually for once I have some sympathy for her on that.  

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic