Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Weakened Offender said:

I'll be very surprised if people from Glasgow travel through to Edinburgh in large numbers to shop. Glasgow is head and shoulders above Edinburgh for shopping. They maybe come through for the Xmas Market and the shows but not the shopping. 

When the shops are open, they have a Xmas market in George Square in normal times too. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Konrad von Carstein

I'll be very surprised if people from Glasgow travel through to Edinburgh in large numbers to shop. Glasgow is head and shoulders above Edinburgh for shopping. They maybe come through for the Xmas Market and the shows but not the shopping. 

head and shoulders above Edinburgh for shopping

How? or more accurately Why?

42 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

So the capital is being punished because of idiots from another Tier might travel to Edinburgh.

Sounds fair.

:rofl:

Covid is not fair either. 

People are criticising Governments all over the UK which is their right in a democracy. 

Governments can only do so much but people have to take responsibility for their own actions. 

The behaviour of some sections of the population has been selfish and unreasonable. 

Folk expecting the NHS to run a normal service in the middle of a Pandemic for instance. 😕

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Really pissed of with it all.

I can only say my recent encounters with them through work haven’t given me any more confidence in them whatsoever, not that I had much to begin with. 

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Covid is not fair either. 

People are criticising Governments all over the UK which is their right in a democracy. 

Governments can only do so much but people have to take responsibility for their own actions. 

The behaviour of some sections of the population has been selfish and unreasonable. 

Folk expecting the NHS to run a normal service in the middle of a Pandemic for instance. 😕

Sadly the adults are being treated like children because they can’t act like adults.

It’s obvious on this thread that some posters attitude sucks because they do what they want.

They don’t give a toss about anyone.

Weakened Offender
16 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

How? or more accurately Why?

Edinburgh is pretty grim for shopping, in my opinion. Clothes shops, particularly labels, Glasgow wins hands down.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Edinburgh is pretty grim for shopping, in my opinion. Clothes shops, particularly labels, Glasgow wins hands down.

There are other threads for that discussion 😜

Weakened Offender
14 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Sadly the adults are being treated like children because they can’t act like adults.

It’s obvious on this thread that some posters attitude sucks because they do what they want.

They don’t give a toss about anyone.

A fine summary of the situation we are living through. 

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

There are other threads for that discussion 😜

I'm only being polite and answering his question, FFS 😀

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

So the capital is being punished because of idiots from another Tier might travel to Edinburgh.

Sounds fair.

:rofl:

Exactly what happened to the Borders, we were put in tier 2 to deter people from tier 3 area's travelling down here, otherwise we would have been in tier 1 from day one, all the hospitality businesses down here suffered because of it.

It will be interesting to see how busy Galashiels is tomorrow, as it happens we are going out for a birthday meal in Gala tomorrow, fortunately we are booked into a place I'm sure few non locals will have heard off let alone know where it is.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Exactly what happened to the Borders, we were put in tier 2 to deter people from tier 3 area's travelling down here, otherwise we would have been in tier 1 from day one, all the hospitality businesses down here suffered because of it.

It will be interesting to see how busy Galashiels is tomorrow, as it happens we are going out for a birthday meal in Gala tomorrow, fortunately we are booked into a place I'm sure few non locals will have heard off let alone know where it is.

Arseholes.

Anyway I hope all goes well and your day doesn’t get spoilt.

🍺🍷

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

where are you off to?

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I'm only being polite and answering his question, FFS 😀

Just joking mate, I thought I was being funny by saying “threads” in connection with the fashion topic, and the winking emoji 😜

Konrad von Carstein

Not wishing to be a dick, but, what shops does Glasgow have that Edinburgh doesn't? 

Am thinking Edinburgh has (and bear with me as they are not the centre of the fashion world) Jenners, Harvey Nichols, Multrees Walk and various George Street shops..

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Not wishing to be a dick, but, what shops does Glasgow have that Edinburgh doesn't? 

Am thinking Edinburgh has (and bear with me as they are not the centre of the fashion world) Jenners, Harvey Nichols, Multrees Walk and various George Street shops..

I was thinking that too but I’m not really up to date with these things, surely shops have stores in all big cities these days? 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

The Barras.

:lol:

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Maybe I'm wrong pal. I buy most of my clobber online now but prior to that Glasgow was always where I went if I fancied some shopping. Saying that I do like a nose around Frontiers on Stafford St for newer, lesser known stuff. 

11 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I think I've posted enough on this cluster-feck of a thread to be named, KvC!

I wear a face mask as mandated at work (actually, I wear a flimsy buff, but nobody seems to bother, and we haven't had a single case/trace since we opened again in the summer) and frequently, due to the nature of my work, get close to people (no sniggering at the back). I can't wear it for more than three or four minutes or I get breathless. I've had asthma since I was about 10, probably caused by my parents smoking in the house, being in smoky pubs from a young age, growing up in a city, and bad genes. I won't wear a mask in spaces where I can reasonably expect people to distance (and show my government granted exemption badge). If you want to get close to me in a supermarket with 2m wide aisles, that's your problem. I'll take my chances that your wee, oft-used, unwashed, fingered (there they go again!) mask that doesn't seal in your breath and that you wear below your nose is going to save me. Not you, personally, KvC, but the general population.

Anyway, I'll also be going hillwalking beyond Edinburgh's environs this coming Sunday. The restrictions on travel are an absolute nonsense and deserve to be disregarded by anyone who is willing to take responsibility for their own actions. Just to qualify - if I breakdown, I'll call the AA. If an AA patrolman arrives, I'll distance and put a mask on if he wants. If I have a car crash (hopefully less likely as the roads will be clearer and I'll be driving within the speed limit, as per), then that's probably my fault, or some nutcase driver. I appreciate the work of the emergency services, but I could just as easily have a crash in Edinburgh itself, where people seem to have less problem with me driving, even though an accident could occur just - if not more - as easily. Or a Perthshire, Angus, Fife or Tayside resident could have a crash in their own region. Me being in another region doesn't increase the likelihood of a crash. Feck it, happy to be left alone to die in the hills if I have a heart attack up there than live in fear of Covid and lockdowns.

Great post Jonesy.  Take the decision making away from the clowns in charge.  I think most of us can make our own judgement calls. The idea of a wee nyaff like Sturgeon telling us when to book summer hols🤣. No wonder she was rag-dolled by the CEO of Edin Airport. That Vallance character was yesterday forced to admit there is no evidence that hospitality is responsible for any transmission worth bothering about. The ONS have had to revise down the estimated virus prevalence they reported weeks ago, figures that were used to justify the lockdown in England.  The whole UK approach to this virus has been a complete s**t show and has cost the country billions. And still they're in full population control mode.

11 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Glasgow is viewed as the best for shopping outwith London.

Edinburgh is miles behind.

Not even second best in Scotland,Livingston has that sewn up.

Edited by Tott

11 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

****ing nowt. Utter myth that Glasgow is some sort of shopping capital of the world. 

Edited by Dazo

The Real Maroonblood

Can't have enough socks and lighters. 😎

I've never had the experience of visiting the place.

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I've never had the experience of visiting the place.

I went once in the late 80s, an experience. 😀

5 minutes ago, Tott said:

Sorry....as this is a covid thread I think, but seriously?

Are are talking about clothes shopping? If so Manchester is better than Glasgow, and I've no idea what shops are in Livingston but I do know that that's impossible to be true. 

9 minutes ago, Dazo said:

****ing nowt. Utter myth that Glasgow is some sort of shopping capital of the world. 

Shoplifting capital maybe???

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The Court of Session has rejected a petition that the SG was wrong to keep Edinburgh at Level 3.

Not surprised. 

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, pablo said:

Are are talking about clothes shopping? If so Manchester is better than Glasgow, and I've no idea what shops are in Livingston but I do know that that's impossible to be true. 

How can you know something is impossible if you've no idea about it? 

2 minutes ago, pablo said:

I know its a covid thread,but as others are talking pish,though i would join in 🙂

Footballfirst
5 minutes ago, pablo said:

I prefer going to Livingson for shopping. The Almondvale Centre, Designer Outlet and linked Retail Parks are far better than the Gyle, Fort Kinnaird, Ocean Terminal etc.

Edited by Footballfirst

2 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

How can you know something is impossible if you've no idea about it? 

Because I know what shops are in Edinburgh? I also shop regularly in Frontier Man, but don't really consider the labels they stock as lesser known either tbh.

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I prefer going to Livingson for shopping. The Almondvale Centre, Designer Outlet and linked Retail Parks are far better than the Gyle, Fort Kinnaird, Ocean Terminal etc.

Fair enough, I don't shop in any of these places, so will gracefully bow out of the debate.

Yes Glasgow seems to have a better reputation for shopping I think . I was at the Gyle today . It was packed out . Had the displeasure of going into the Hibs shop to get my wee nephew a couple Xmas gifts as he’s a wee Hibbie. His mother is one . It’s a pity as he’s half Brazilian so could well

imsgine him in a few years being a great wee player , but Hibs may nab him first 😂 

Weakened Offender
6 minutes ago, pablo said:

Because I know what shops are in Edinburgh? I also shop regularly in Frontier Man, but don't really consider the labels they stock as lesser known either tbh.

But you don't know what shops are in Livingston? In fact, you said you had no idea before saying it was impossible for Livingston to be better. For all you know, which is nothing on this particular matter (your words), all those well known labels that Frontiers Man stock could have their own outlets in Livingston. 😊

Edited by Weakened Offender

Just now, Weakened Offender said:

But you don't know what shops are in Livingston. In fact, you said you had no idea yet said it was impossible for Livingston to be better. For all you know, which is nothing on this particular matter (your words) all those well known labels that Frontiers Man stick could have their own outlets in Livingston. 😊

I'm going to take a wild guess that they don't 😀

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, pablo said:

I'm going to take a wild guess that they don't 😀

I'd be surprised if they did too, but give it time. Once word gets out. 😉

Weakened Offender
7 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes Glasgow seems to have a better reputation for shopping I think . I was at the Gyle today . It was packed out . Had the displeasure of going into the Hibs shop to get my wee nephew a couple Xmas gifts as he’s a wee Hibbie. His mother is one . It’s a pity as he’s half Brazilian so could well

imsgine him in a few years being a great wee player , but Hibs may nab him first 😂 

The Gyle is ****ing chronic. 

3 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I'd be surprised if they did too, but give it time. Once word gets out. 😉

Time to start shopping at Dick's when that happens 😉

31 minutes ago, Tott said:

;)

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, pablo said:

Time to start shopping at Dick's when that happens 😉

I used to pass that and window browse when I worked on my previous job but never got a chance to pop in. 

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I was a bit shocked to see that there a few weeks ago. Hope he’s a great player and too good for them. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic