Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

12 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

12,155 new positive cases in the UK, 7 day average down 25% from the previous week.

People admitted to hospital down 11% from the previous week.

People being treated in hospital drops below 16k for the first time since 14th November

Looks like good progress and a sustainable shrinkage in the numbers.  I think every little bit of further progress is going to be needed to offset the aftermath of Christmas and new year.  

This wave (2nd) is being brought under control after taking off on a shallower curve and the R number never going that high.  It's taken a while for it to be brought down.  I wonder what it will be like on the 3rd wave after an amount of 'permitted' and beyond permitted gatherings.  I wonder if the specific nature of gatherings and the widespread scale of them will mean a steeper climb next time.  

If there is going to be a damaging climb in the numbers,  let's not try to pretend there wont,  it's going to have to be from a start point from as low a prevalence as possible.  

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Weakened Offender
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Johnstone Town Hall is doing it next week. I think I'll pop  by next weekend, I'm doing another strip and retile I round the corner from it. Shitehole that it is 

I knew a girl from Johnstone in the 90s and shithole is a compliment. 

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Looks like good progress and a sustainable shrinkage in the numbers.  I think every little bit of further progress is going to be needed to offset the aftermath of Christmas and new year.  

This wave (2nd) is being brought under control after taking off on a shallower curve and the R number never going that high.  It's taken a while for it to be brought down.  I wonder what it will be like on the 3rd wave after an amount of 'permitted' and beyond permitted gatherings.  I wonder if the specific nature of gatherings and the widespread scale of them will mean a steeper climb next time.  

If there is going to be a damaging climb in the numbers,  let's not try to pretend there wont,  it's going to have to be from a start point from as low a prevalence as possible. 

Covid seems to be moving in similar waves to the Spanish flu

1918 Pandemic Influenza: Three Waves | Pandemic Influenza (Flu) | CDC

14 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The first wave was unique in that it had been circulating for weeks  possibly months , before anyone had heard of Covid. If the respective govts start to embrace mass testing and start focussing on the places where it spreads rather than using blunt measures affecting small retail outlets and hospitality, for example, then any future "waves", if there are any, will be controllable.  Improve cleaning routines in hospitals and cease the crazy practice of having staff working non-Covid and Covid on the same day, stop sending positive patients back to care homes in ANY circumstance. Treatments are far better and a vaccine is on it's way, cases are going down although there may be a slight increase after Christmas, the end game is close.

2 hours ago, CJGJ said:

A bit like Boris and his new pronouncement it'll be done by Feb 3rd

How does he know ?...you make stupid statements just to make yourself look good and to reduce the flak he is facing at present..let's hope people don't fall for it.

Similar to our own FM they keep telling us about what will happen a month in advance only to make changes as time moves on.  Honesty has flown out the window in favour of self promotion for many of our politicians

Dont know about others but Im beginning to become even more cynical when I think about Jeane Freeman and that statement about  a roll out of the vaccine in early December.. Wondering if it was just  a ploy to prevent any insurrection from  the  general population if  they extend  tier dates and possible full lock downs .  A carrot dangled in front of us and a way out of the dark despairing tunnel that is Covid. Basically sneaky and deceitful. 

6 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The first wave was unique in that it had been circulating for weeks  possibly months , before anyone had heard of Covid. If the respective govts start to embrace mass testing and start focussing on the places where it spreads rather than using blunt measures affecting small retail outlets and hospitality, for example, then any future "waves", if there are any, will be controllable.  Improve cleaning routines in hospitals and cease the crazy practice of having staff working non-Covid and Covid on the same day, stop sending positive patients back to care homes in ANY circumstance. Treatments are far better and a vaccine is on it's way, cases are going down although there may be a slight increase after Christmas, the end game is close.

The end game exists anyway.  How close it is depends on how accurate the forecasted timetable is.  Hopefully it is what was forecasted.

I think the second wave occurred and was suppressed on a sort of slow burner basis.  Perhaps a fairly limited amount of circumstances and settings where virus continued to spread.  I still think a period of time over the festive period with fairly widespread gathering may present a different start point to whatever wave 3 will become.  

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Which is why I continue to have empathy with those who stick two fingers up to the rules. Lies, cover ups, behavioural nudges and all-round crappy behaviour from the politicians since this started.

Had a nice wee jaunt over to Fife/Perthshire with myself, the kids and another family member today. No roadblocks, because in general, bar the most frequent and obvious offenders, the police aren't arsed about implementing what are largely political postures from the dumplings in both parliaments.

👍😀:) I hope you and the family had a good day 

12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Dont know about others but Im beginning to become even more cynical when I think about Jeane Freeman and that statement about  a roll out of the vaccine in early December.. Wondering if it was just  a ploy to prevent any insurrection from  the  general population if  they extend  tier dates and possible full lock downs .  A carrot dangled in front of us and a way out of the dark despairing tunnel that is Covid. Basically sneaky and deceitful. 

Whether it was a ploy or not will probably never be known but if it turns out to be incorrect she should resign. It’s inexcusable to get people hopes up on something like that then fail to deliver. Many people with mental health issues including depression have focussed their mind on the Covid situation. I shudder to think about the effect a lengthy delay would have on their state of mind. 

Edited by GinRummy

Just now, jonesy said:

Some folk have already lit themselves a wee candle and have the baby lotion and tissues out, awaiting the January 'third wave'. 

These type of people thrive on misery, chaos and just plain bad news i feel.  Some are loving the lockdowns and tiers as It takes any responsibility away from them re any decision making.  " Oh the Govt says I cant do that...thats fine then I wont" " Need to stay safe" " Protect the NHS" ....et al. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

Whether it was a ploy or not will probably never be known but if it turns out to be incorrect she should resign. It’s inexcusable to get people hopes up on something like that then fail to deliver. Many people with mental health issues including depression have focussed their mind on the Covid situation. I shudder to think about the effect a lengthy delay would have on their estate of mind. 

Exactly that is why I am angry about it.  Deliberately giving out false hope to people in return for compliance.  Only time will tell though but December 1st is Tuesday so she better get her arse into gear.  

10 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Wouldn't it be fair to wait until a few days into December before declaring that the government have reneged on their promises?

Just now, coconut doug said:

Wouldn't it be fair to wait until a few days into December before declaring that the government have reneged on their promises?

check my previous comment ! 

I see the mutual validation clique are having their usual wee smug sneering session.  Basically can't help themselves.  Enjoy the echo chamber lads.

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Oh Dougie, don't ever change :rofl:

Hes clearly a very optimistic person as the operation to vaccinate people is a massive task as there has been didly squat in the Scottish media or daily briefings about it since wee Jeane mentioned it several weeks ago.  

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Oh Dougie, don't ever change :rofl:

Well wouldn't it? Why do you want to abuse the government for breaking a promise they haven't made?

I think i know the answer to the second question>

19 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Which is why I continue to have empathy with those who stick two fingers up to the rules. Lies, cover ups, behavioural nudges and all-round crappy behaviour from the politicians since this started.

Had a nice wee jaunt over to Fife/Perthshire with myself, the kids and another family member today. No roadblocks, because in general, bar the most frequent and obvious offenders, the police aren't arsed about implementing what are largely political postures from the dumplings in both parliaments.

You are an irresponsible ***t!

35 minutes ago, OBE said:

You are an irresponsible ***t!

That's putting it mildly. I had to decide to put him on ignore in the end. He just doesn't seem to give a flying feck about the health and welfare of other people. The sort of person who would be happy seeing society and folk suffer as long as he was alright jack. :thumbsdown:

59 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Except one chilling moment when one of my boys said, rather too loudly, "Can we have a hot chocolate when we get back to Edinburgh?" within earshot of another couple of hikers, I think we had a good one, cheers.

Awe naw !!! 😂😂

55 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I see the mutual validation clique are having their usual wee smug sneering session.  Basically can't help themselves.  Enjoy the echo chamber lads.

😂😂😂😂👍👍👍 

@jonesythe thing is you are kind of in a no lose situation. When the inevitable recession indirectly kills an unknown amount and the costs in life’s from missed hospital appointments/treatments etc is eventually estimated you will appear to have been correct. 

Having no restrictions of liberties was never a real option though. Imo of course. 

When push comes to shove the rules are ignored for the important reasons in life

Hundreds of fans converged on Celtic Park on Sunday night after their team's 2-0 League Cup defeat to Ross County.

Police Scotland deployed officers, at least 12 vehicles and the force helicopter as fans called for the removal of Celtic manager Neil Lennon.

The scenes came after Ross County ended a run of 35 cup wins for Celtic who had won the last 11 domestic trophies.

It also means they won two of the past 10 matches and as they trail Rangers by 11 points in the Scottish Premiership.

Angry Celtic fans outside Celtic Park

Edited by CJGJ

CavySlaveJambo
3 hours ago, redjambo said:

The latest 7-day case rates around the councils. Aberdeen had recovered from its spike to have only 15 cases yesterday but jumped up again today to 44 so unless those are due to e.g. student testing, there will be pressure on Tuesday to move Aberdeen up to Tier 3, imo. Also in my opinion, Falkirk hasn't been down in Tier 2 territory long enough to merit being placed there, but their figures are much improved. The usual provisos about the 7-day case rate only being one of the indicators used to determine the tier levels.

7-day per-100,000 cases
Council Area Tier Today Yesterday     Start of Tier 4’s  
Renfrewshire 4 218 223 -5   260 -42
South Lanarkshire 4 202 198 +4   233 -31
North Lanarkshire 4 182 194 -12   235 -53
Glasgow City 4 174 189 -15   235 -61
East Renfrewshire 4 155 172 -17   195 -40
Clackmannanshire 3 153 130 +23   165 -12
Stirling 4 149 140 +9   210 -61
East Ayrshire 4 137 132 +5   152 -15
North Ayrshire 3 132 131 +1   124 +8
South Ayrshire 4 131 123 +8   153 -22
West Lothian 4 131 139 -8   193 -62
East Dunbartonshire 4 114 135 -21   161 -47
West Dunbartonshire 4 107 106 +1   142 -35
Fife 3 105 104 +1   116 -11
Dundee City 3 104 109 -5   102 +2
Perth and Kinross 3 103 90 +13   116 -13
Aberdeen City 2 101 90 +11   51 +50
Inverclyde 3 96 107 -11   99 -3
Aberdeenshire 2 85 90 -5   64 +21
Midlothian 3 84 82 +2   101 -17
Edinburgh City 3 74 82 -8   84 -10
Angus 3 71 77 -6   88 -17
Argyll and Bute 2 61 61 0   31 +30
East Lothian 2 59 65 -6   48 +11
Falkirk 3 47 54 -7   85 -38
Scottish Borders 2 33 40 -7   74 -41
Dumfries and Galloway 2 23 25 -2   34 -11
Shetland Islands 1 17 17 0   13 +4
Highland 1 16 17 -1   19 -3
Na h-Eileanan Siar 1 11 11 0   0 +11
Moray 1 8 8 0   25 -17
Orkney Islands 1 4 4 0   4 0
(Scotland)   116 118 -2   135 -19

Not this week but in Another week. I am hoping that things have improved enough for MidLothian by next week.  Not that it makes much difference, Straiton Retail Park is still really busy. Falkirk may be troubled by the hospital situation in Forth Valley.  

Also could Clackmannanshire and North Ayrshire be moved to tier 4 with the way there numbers are climbing. 

Numbers looked all weird today though. 

Edited by CavySlaveJambo

34 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

@jonesythe thing is you are kind of in a no lose situation. When the inevitable recession indirectly kills an unknown amount and the costs in life’s from missed hospital appointments/treatments etc is eventually estimated you will appear to have been correct. 

Having no restrictions of liberties was never a real option though. Imo of course. 

Very true that will be an epic shit storm ....... 

36 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It's okay though because the people who die through austerity are just the poor and as we know, that won't bother the Tories much. Better to protect their core voters in the here and now.

Edit: I'm aware other governments doing the same are not the Tories. I'm not being entirely serious before anyone gets upset.

Edited by Taffin

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

It's okay though because the people who die through austerity are just the poor and as we know, that won't bother the Tories much. Better to protect their core voters in the here and now.

Yep .  Proportionally its been poorer people who have had the most negative impact during this pandemic...having to still go out to work and the inherent risks in that , to actual deaths.  I have to remind myself we are living in 2020 and not 1820 

Just now, Taffin said:

And the core voters are pensioners to some degree at least. The cynic in me agrees with you but I also have some sympathy for the governments despite their piss poor decisions at times. It really is an impossible situation. 

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

And the core voters are pensioners to some degree at least. The cynic in me agrees with you but I also have some sympathy for the governments despite their piss poor decisions at times. It really is an impossible situation. 

I'm not being entirely serious, apologies I edited after you and James quoted but there's undoubtedly an element of truth to governments avoiding deaths on their watch even if it means greater deaths in the following medium term as once theyre out of office, it's someone else's problem.

Edited by Taffin

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Yep .  Proportionally its been poorer people who have had the most negative impact during this pandemic...having to still go out to work and the inherent risks in that , to actual deaths.  I have to remind myself we are living in 2020 and not 1820 

Agree to a large extent. The working poor, many of who are on (or were on) zero hour contracts and paying rent, so unable to take mortgage holidays, will have suffered disproportionately already and will suffer even more when the recession kicks in. 

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

I'm not being entirely serious, apologies I edited after you and James quoted but there's undoubtedly an element of truth to governments avoiding deaths on their watch even if it means greater deaths in the following medium term as once their out of office, it's someone else's problem.

Many a true word said in jest. The pensioners vote is massive. Obviously that might not have been a consideration but it’s a handy by-product of current policy. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

Many a true word said in jest. The pensioners vote is massive. Obviously that might not have been a consideration but it’s a handy by-product of current policy. 

Certainly, it's easier to make hard decisions when you know one of the approaches is to the benefit of your core voters whilst also incurring a lesser detriment to their lifestyle and need to earn money.

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Agree to a large extent. The working poor, many of who are on (or were on) zero hour contracts and paying rent, so unable to take mortgage holidays, will have suffered disproportionately already and will suffer even more when the recession kicks in. 

and most working in jobs one cant do from home therefore the risk in travelling to and from work and actually being in the workplace. Yes if furloughed do people get 80% only of their wage?  If so how do they manage to pay 100 % of their rent / council tax / bills etc?

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

and most working in jobs one cant do from home therefore the risk in travelling to and from work and actually being in the workplace. Yes if furloughed do people get 80% only of their wage?  If so how do they manage to pay 100 % of their rent / council tax / bills etc?

Yes 80% from government but employers can choose to top it up. No idea how many employers chose to do that. 

Agree fully. 

5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I'm regularly having to go and work for the whole week in places that have 3/4 times the number of cases that my own area has. Now, it doesn't really worry me but it frustrates me that I can go and do that but I can't go and visit my parents.

52 minutes ago, redjambo said:

That's putting it mildly. I had to decide to put him on ignore in the end. He just doesn't seem to give a flying feck about the health and welfare of other people. The sort of person who would be happy seeing society and folk suffer as long as he was alright jack. :thumbsdown:

Firstly Red, I'm surprised you've gave him the time of day for as long as you have. Him and a few others falling over themselves, telling us where they've been, what they've done, all against the better judgement of more savvy people than themselves.

Total disrespect for the emergency services that he maybe had to call on throughout his illegal **ck you!

I'm no surprised he's got friends all over the world, cannae get far enough away from the dolt.

See if there was prizes for being a ***t, he'd come second...just because he's a ***t!

Just now, Brian Dundas said:

I think you are inferring a level of competence that our politicians do not possess. 

Also the “progressives” seem more cautious than the “conservatives”, which goes against your thinking. 

There’s not a lot in it on how things are being run, for me it is all fire fighting. 

Yeh I don't think they're doing it intentionally, as can be seen by the governments around the world following similar approaches whom don't have the elderly as their core vote. I just think (certainly subconsciously) it's easier to take a certain path when you know there will be less kickback at the electoral booth and when you can kick associated deaths down the road for another leader to deal with.

CavySlaveJambo
2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Whether it was a ploy or not will probably never be known but if it turns out to be incorrect she should resign. It’s inexcusable to get people hopes up on something like that then fail to deliver. Many people with mental health issues including depression have focussed their mind on the Covid situation. I shudder to think about the effect a lengthy delay would have on their state of mind. 

I think my meltdown on here on Monday or Tuesday might answer that.  

Although I have my get out of jail free card now. 

12 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm regularly having to go and work for the whole week in places that have 3/4 times the number of cases that my own area has. Now, it doesn't really worry me but it frustrates me that I can go and do that but I can't go and visit my parents.

Unreal 

so many contradictions regarding the restrictions 

2 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

I think my meltdown on here on Monday or Tuesday might answer that.  

Although I have my get out of jail free card now. 

Really sorry you’ve been feeling it 

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

:mel:

I've two close relatives that earn their crusts working for the emergency and recovery services. Your boastful post earlier suggests that your illegal **ck you jaunt to Perthshire was without drama. My relatives may be less fortunate the next time you and your kin take a selfish wee daunder.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, OBE said:

I've two close relatives that earn their crusts working for the emergency and recovery services. Your boastful post earlier suggests that your illegal **ck you jaunt to Perthshire was without drama. My relatives may be less fortunate the next time you and your kin take a selfish wee daunder.

Fair comment.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

It’s really hard a times pal, I have days where it really gets me down as well. I have tried to stay positive but it’s not easy. 

One thing am starting this week which I hope helps is I am going to look after a dog for a couple of days a week. The owner has a couple of health issues that means she could do with some days resting. So I’m hopeful it will help both of us out. My kids as well will get a kick out of it when they get home from school. 

Try new things until the old ones come back. Hang in there mate!!

Can’t go wrong looking after a dog.

Great therapy.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Ach well, you won't see this post then, Red, which is a shame as I appreciate your level-headed, well thought out and oftentimes witty posts, and that you have a different point of view on how this is playing out.

However, to be labelled as irresponsible (we'll ignore the insulting language from OBE) and it be stated that I am 'happy to see folk suffer' because I fancied a dander up Loch Leven way with the kids on an otherwise drab November morning is a great example of the divide and conquer, sanctimonious and superficial moralising many of us have come to expect from those who nod their heads like good compliant puppies whenever governments - of the Tory or Nat persuasion - decide to make up a further bout of arbitrary rules for us all to follow. 

The South Sea King was Act-on-Your-Hunch.

The North Sea King was Act-in-a-Flash.

The King of the place between them was No-Form.

Now South Sea King

And North Sea King

Used to go together often

To the land of No-Form:

He treated them well.

So they consulted together

They thought up a good turn,

A pleasant surprise, for No-Form

In token of appreciation.

"Men," they said, "have seven openings

For seeing, hearing, eating, breathing,

And so on. But No-Form 

Has no openings. Let's make him

A few holes."

So after that

They put holes in No-Form,

One a day, for seven days.

And when they finished the seventh opening,

Their friend lay dead.

Lao Tan said: "To organize is to destroy."

My insults won't kill anybody, your inessential travel on the other hand...

"Listen everyone, this is where I've been today"...that type of post deserves all that is flung at it, it got the reaction you set out to achieve.

Edited by OBE

CavySlaveJambo
54 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

It’s really hard a times pal, I have days where it really gets me down as well. I have tried to stay positive but it’s not easy. 

One thing am starting this week which I hope helps is I am going to look after a dog for a couple of days a week. The owner has a couple of health issues that means she could do with some days resting. So I’m hopeful it will help both of us out. My kids as well will get a kick out of it when they get home from school. 

Try new things until the old ones come back. Hang in there mate!!

Dogs are great. I have two of them. An insane, hyper 4 year old, and a 16 week old Puppy who is hopefully going to be my autism/mental health assistance dog.   He is still working on his puppy foundation skills but he is a great wee pup already. 

13 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I was walking the dog yesterday. I crossed council areas during this dog walk. 

I look forwarded to being chastised with such criminals as Peter Sutclifff, the West’s and @jonesy. 

Strange that you cross council boundaries for work and your all good. Whilst going for a walk in the country and your suddenly endangering hundreds of life’s 😂

Shoving covid positive patients into homes and locking them up with the vulnerable people had no impact on death rate. 

COVID really is selective as **** and logic defying.

The sanctimonious meltdowns have at least brightened up my day. 😂 

Ohh @ri Albanget yourself to the hospital and good luck.👍

Thanks Lordie B 👍

Nucky Thompson
7 hours ago, jonesy said:

...didn't kill anyone either.

Look, chill out a bit, man. We've all got our ways of getting through this. I meet up with people and go out precisely because I do care about them and know their mental and physical health would suffer if we didn't. 

Different people respond in different ways to having rules imposed on them, often on a case by case basis. In this situation, I believe many of the rules, restrictions, measures and impositions to be inherently absurd.

You seem to be a keen golfer. How did you feel when you weren't allowed to golf back in the spring? Did you see the point in courses being closed, even for folk to wander around the course solo? Did the danger suddenly subside on the date the government deemed the courses open again?

I like walking around hills, and encouraging my children to do the same. We've got a bit bored with Arthur's Seat etc, and it was a good excuse to ensure the DPF isn't getting clogged on the car, by blasting it as a law-abiding 70mph up the M90 for a bit. No damage was done (bar the CO2 emissions, but those are permitted murderous actions, so that's cool), and no emergency services were called for - nor would they normally expected to be in such a scenario.

But listen, I don't enjoy having to break the law just to enjoy the beautiful natural spaces this country has. But when I hear about folk barely having left the house since March, I start to feel very uneasy with the over-exaggerated fear that has gripped a significant chunk of the population. Dressing this fear up as 'being responsible' and 'doing the right thing' might be one solution, but it's not mine. 

Take care, and look after yersel'

You don't have to justify yourself Jonesy. 

Like you say, some of the rules are just daft.

Walking in the hills with your kids is certainly not going to have a baring on the spread of covid :D

Nucky Thompson
8 hours ago, jonesy said:

...didn't kill anyone either.

Look, chill out a bit, man. We've all got our ways of getting through this. I meet up with people and go out precisely because I do care about them and know their mental and physical health would suffer if we didn't. 

Different people respond in different ways to having rules imposed on them, often on a case by case basis. In this situation, I believe many of the rules, restrictions, measures and impositions to be inherently absurd.

You seem to be a keen golfer. How did you feel when you weren't allowed to golf back in the spring? Did you see the point in courses being closed, even for folk to wander around the course solo? Did the danger suddenly subside on the date the government deemed the courses open again?

I like walking around hills, and encouraging my children to do the same. We've got a bit bored with Arthur's Seat etc, and it was a good excuse to ensure the DPF isn't getting clogged on the car, by blasting it as a law-abiding 70mph up the M90 for a bit. No damage was done (bar the CO2 emissions, but those are permitted murderous actions, so that's cool), and no emergency services were called for - nor would they normally expected to be in such a scenario.

But listen, I don't enjoy having to break the law just to enjoy the beautiful natural spaces this country has. But when I hear about folk barely having left the house since March, I start to feel very uneasy with the over-exaggerated fear that has gripped a significant chunk of the population. Dressing this fear up as 'being responsible' and 'doing the right thing' might be one solution, but it's not mine. 

Take care, and look after yersel'

I forgot to add, not enough kids go hill walking imo. Too many of them are sitting on their fat erses playing their consoles.

Fat kids grow into fat adults. No wonder the UK death rate is one of the highest in this pandemic.

You sound to me like you're a responsible parent :thumb:

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic