Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Never heard of him. I take it that it's a bad appointment?

He's been a peripheral figure on the fringes of government for a number of years.  Never been regarded highly enough to occupy a top departmental job.  Absolute apologist for the government,  no matter how difficult a task that might be on any subject.  It's a bit of a head scratcher of an important appointment.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Never heard of him. I take it that it's a bad appointment?

He has a Season Ticket for Question Time. On every other week

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Exactly, this year will be remembered for large swathes of the population being brainwashed into acquiescence to a govt/media campaign to behave in a certain way. All for "protecting the NHS" and "saving lives", admirable causes but unfortunately outwith the control of all of us. In Scotland back in 1989/90, we had a flu outbreak that killed more people than the peak of Covid in April. The worst week being in the run up to Christmas Eve. I don't even remember it. In all areas of England right now, critical care bed occupancy rates are below the 5 year average, the oft quoted Rrrr number is less than 1, yet Michael Gove is telling us why we should be locking down, wrecking the economy and destroying the well-being of the nation. Seriously, wtf is going on? Why are people meekly accepting these diktats??

Well said Enzo. In particular about the R number.  Never really hear about that now...but apparently its pretty low in a lot of areas.  Maybe they dont want that apparent good news getting out? Also am i imagining that a few weeks ago wee Jeanie Freeman said that they were rolling out the vaccine at the beginning of December ?  

Edited by JamesM48

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

He has a Season Ticket for Question Time. On every other week

Thats true. Hes never of it . Almost as on it as much as the radge Farage... :) 

9 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Well said Enzo. In particular about the R number.  Never really hear about that now...but apparently its pretty low in a lot of areas.  Maybe they dont want that apparent good news getting out? Also am i imagining that a few weeks ago wee Jeanie Freeman said that they were rolling out the vaccine at the beginning of December ?  

Yes, she certainly did James. Maybe wee Jeanie will come up trumps this week. She'll maybe be administering the jab herself 😄

5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, she certainly did James. Maybe wee Jeanie will come up trumps this week. She'll maybe be administering the jab herself 😄

Shes got too much of a shakey hand to do that....( think she likes the bevvy) !! 

22 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I would imagine the SG's planned vaccine rollout schedule is following the same timescale as their two week circuit breaker. 🙄

10 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I would imagine the SG's planned vaccine rollout schedule is following the same timescale as their two week circuit breaker. 🙄

So probably next March then ????

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Loves an expense claim, too.

I'm guessing he's partly been appointed to keep him from kicking up a stink about Stratford's move to Tier 3.

manaliveits105
5 hours ago, frankblack said:

After having hopes up would start December /January - Jason Leitch said on on the ball yesterday they would hope to have a million vaccinated by Easter ! - I won’t hold my breath for an early vaccine then 

- always seems to be jam tomorrow

10 hours ago, willie wallace said:

All the best mate.

I am of the age now that it is something that is on my mind too often.

Get the blood test yearly which helps.

👍

Malinga the Swinga
On 28/11/2020 at 03:50, ri Alban said:

It is indeed, Alim. I'm supposed to be up the hospital next Thursday for prostate cancer. Hoping I don't have it. I actually might cancel, don't really want to know. 

We might disagree on politics, but you best get it checked. Need to ensure you are around for next few Super Bowls when Washington start dynasty. 

5 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Was that original estimate for end of January? Let’s hope he’s wrong, this thread is full of people who think he’s wrong all the time, why believe him now. 

Speaking personally, I think folk think he’s wrong all the time partly because he’s a very hubristic and thoroughly unlikeable man. Every time he speaks I want to punch him in the face. That certainly clouds my judgement on what he has to say. 

11 hours ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

Blood test is pretty unreliable, if you start getting any issues with the prostate over 50 would suggest just getting it removed..I'm no Doc but straining to pee ain't fun if in a pub.

I would recommend that at all, it's a last resort, leads to all sorts of problems that i won't go into as it's way off topic.

Jenne Freeman's statement to the Scottish Parliament on 19 November with vaccine rollout and high level plans including assumptions, of course key dependency is there is no vaccine approval.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/covid-vaccine-delivery-statement-health-secretary/

It should be recognised too that opposition parties were calling for a committed plan a week or two before in the SP.

I’m just flicking through the channels looking for something to watch and noticed there is actually a programme on C4 called “ Is Covid Racist?”

I’m  lost for words. 

Nucky Thompson
30 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I’m just flicking through the channels looking for something to watch and noticed there is actually a programme on C4 called “ Is Covid Racist?”

I’m  lost for words. 

It sounds a bit stupid, but it's a play on words.

The virus seems to have a disproportionate effect on the BAME community 

6 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

What's the science behind it? I assumed it was correlation rather than causation and linked more to cultural variations and a disproportionate amount of BAME people being poorer but confess to not really looking into it.

Why is it Jason Leitch doing the public health announcements and such like. Why is Jean Freeman not doing it. She is elected after all. 

Edited by GinRummy

53 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Oh I know but it’s tied in to the current political agenda. 

I just can’t get my head around the programme makers thinking this is a suitable name. 

6 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Oh I know but it’s tied in to the current political agenda. 

I just can’t get my head around the programme makers thinking this is a suitable name. 

The title of it was obviously to provoke publicity , interest and debate and get people to view the programme ! It seems to have worked . I think that there have been more deaths in this community due to fact probably more have worked in the nhs ( where a lot died of covid ) or worked in jobs such as taxi drivers and bus drivers Etc . There also may be a biological reason to it too due to bame people’s blood groups as some can be more at risk of covid and other illnesses due to their blood group or dna 

4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Speaking personally, I think folk think he’s wrong all the time partly because he’s a very hubristic and thoroughly unlikeable man. Every time he speaks I want to punch him in the face. That certainly clouds my judgement on what he has to say. 

He’s very patronising 

With Tuesday's review of the tiers coming up, and to illustrate I know nothing, my guess is that the only move may be Dumfries and Galloway to tier 1. Anyone else?

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

IMO he's a very likable boy and presumably that's why he has been popular in the wider media.

He got it wrong at the start in a big way IMO and seemed to be on the Herd immunity bandwagon. Some people criticised him for being patronising and though i don't agree i can see why they might think it. He's not hubristic but he does try to be positive which i think is a good thing.

27 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Why is it Jason Leitch doing the public health announcements and such like. Why is Jean Freeman not doing it. She is elected after all. 

He's the public health expert and part of the team.  He has the detailed scientific knowledge and understanding required to explain the decision making. The same thing is happening all over the world.

7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

With Tuesday's review of the tiers coming up, and to illustrate I know nothing, my guess is that the only move may be Dumfries and Galloway to tier 1. Anyone else?

Agreed . But surely Edinburgh should move to tier 2 due to the stats . And they claim it’s not political 

4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Wait, you actually want to punch someone in the face just because you don't like them? Is that your general approach to life? I only ask because that surprises me - it's full-on ned behaviour, and I never had you down as that.

1 minute ago, coconut doug said:

He's the public health expert and part of the team.  He has the detailed scientific knowledge and understanding required to explain the decision making. The same thing is happening all over the world.

Yeah I noticed it was happening in England as well. Would have thought that the respective Health Secretary’s would have had enough knowledge to do announcements and the likes. It’s not as if we have economists talking us through the financial side. It’s elected politicians that should be dealing, as far as possible, with the public during this crisis. A minor thing and just my opinion obviously. 

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Wait, you actually want to punch someone in the face just because you don't like them? Is that your general approach to life? I only ask because that surprises me - it's full-on ned behaviour, and I never had you down as that.

I often WANT to shout at someone or in extreme cases punch them. I would never actually act on it. It’s not Ned behaviour to think something. It’s more just an expression to explain how much I dislike them than an actual threat of violence. 

Edited by GinRummy

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Agreed . But surely Edinburgh should move to tier 2 due to the stats . And they claim it’s not political 

I don't see that in the stats however. Edinburgh hasn't dropped low enough to be in the currently-used 7-day case band for Tier 2 (the tier bands used in practice aren't the same ones which were originally laid out).

I don't know if it has been posted but residents in specific local covid "hotspots" are to be offered lateral flow tests even if they show no symptoms in order to try and find asymptomatic cases:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55101151

The areas are: Alloa, Dalmarnock/parts of Pollokshields, Stewarton/Dalmellington/Bellsbank, Girvan/Ayr, Johnstone.

Edited by redjambo

5 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

We might disagree on politics, but you best get it checked. Need to ensure you are around for next few Super Bowls when Washington start dynasty. 

:Agree:

👍

giphy.gif

46 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I don't know if it has been posted but residents in specific local covid "hotspots" are to be offered lateral flow tests even if they show no symptoms in order to try and find asymptomatic cases:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55101151

The areas are: Alloa, Dalmarnock/parts of Pollokshields, Stewarton/Dalmellington/Bellsbank, Girvan/Ayr, Johnstone.

Johnstone Town Hall is doing it next week. I think I'll pop  by next weekend, I'm doing another strip and retile I round the corner from it. Shitehole that it is 

Edited by ri Alban

Scottish numbers: 29 November 2020

Summary

• 746 new cases of COVID-19 reported [-42]
  • 2 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [-42]
  • 76 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-1]
  • 1,049 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-28]
  • 17,046 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 5.2% of these were positive [-4,448; +0.8%]

Per-board, per-100,000 case stats:

Scotland 14 [=].

Lanarkshire 24 [-1], Ayrshire 21 [+5], Greater Glasgow 19 [=], Fife 13 [-3], Forth Valley 13 [-2], Tayside 13 [+4].

Lothian 9 [-4], Grampian 8 [-1].

All the others: less than 5.

5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Johnstone Town Hall is doing it next week. 

Here's hoping it makes a difference, ri. The cases in Renfrewshire have been stubbornly high for a wee while now.

8 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

After having hopes up would start December /January - Jason Leitch said on on the ball yesterday they would hope to have a million vaccinated by Easter ! - I won’t hold my breath for an early vaccine then 

- always seems to be jam tomorrow

A bit like Boris and his new pronouncement it'll be done by Feb 3rd

How does he know ?...you make stupid statements just to make yourself look good and to reduce the flak he is facing at present..let's hope people don't fall for it.

Similar to our own FM they keep telling us about what will happen a month in advance only to make changes as time moves on.  Honesty has flown out the window in favour of self promotion for many of our politicians

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Considering Edinburgh’s numbers are boosted by HW numbers it would make sense to move Edinburgh to Tier2.

Sense:lol:

30 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Here's hoping it makes a difference, ri. The cases in Renfrewshire have been stubbornly high for a wee while now.

I’m sure covid will

do a runner once Ri rocks up ! He can be a scarey character lol 😂 

The Real Maroonblood
21 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

With the testing starting there too then asymptotic students should be isolated and not going into Edinburgh if it is moved to tier two. 

However they won’t change it yet is my view. 

You’re probably right.

33 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Considering Edinburgh’s numbers are boosted by HW numbers it would make sense to move Edinburgh to Tier2.

Sense:lol:

What’s ‘ HW? 

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Plus the student testing and West Lothian being in their 4, will secure that decision. 

There might be a chance if the those in tier four drop down to three on the 11th December and Edinburgh's numbers are still low.

But this is the SG we're talking about

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

There might be a chance if the those in tier four drop down to three on the 11th December and Edinburgh's numbers are still low.

But this is the SG we're talking about

It’s an absolute joke the tier we are in.

It brings tears😭to my eyes.

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

I’m sure covid will

do a runner once Ri rocks up ! He can be a scarey character lol 😂 

:D Expect Renfrewshire to be Tier 1 soon.

The latest 7-day case rates around the councils. Aberdeen had recovered from its spike to have only 15 cases yesterday but jumped up again today to 44 so unless those are due to e.g. student testing, there will be pressure on Tuesday to move Aberdeen up to Tier 3, imo. Also in my opinion, Falkirk hasn't been down in Tier 2 territory long enough to merit being placed there, but their figures are much improved. The usual provisos about the 7-day case rate only being one of the indicators used to determine the tier levels.

7-day per-100,000 cases
Council Area Tier Today Yesterday     Start of Tier 4’s  
Renfrewshire 4 218 223 -5   260 -42
South Lanarkshire 4 202 198 +4   233 -31
North Lanarkshire 4 182 194 -12   235 -53
Glasgow City 4 174 189 -15   235 -61
East Renfrewshire 4 155 172 -17   195 -40
Clackmannanshire 3 153 130 +23   165 -12
Stirling 4 149 140 +9   210 -61
East Ayrshire 4 137 132 +5   152 -15
North Ayrshire 3 132 131 +1   124 +8
South Ayrshire 4 131 123 +8   153 -22
West Lothian 4 131 139 -8   193 -62
East Dunbartonshire 4 114 135 -21   161 -47
West Dunbartonshire 4 107 106 +1   142 -35
Fife 3 105 104 +1   116 -11
Dundee City 3 104 109 -5   102 +2
Perth and Kinross 3 103 90 +13   116 -13
Aberdeen City 2 101 90 +11   51 +50
Inverclyde 3 96 107 -11   99 -3
Aberdeenshire 2 85 90 -5   64 +21
Midlothian 3 84 82 +2   101 -17
Edinburgh City 3 74 82 -8   84 -10
Angus 3 71 77 -6   88 -17
Argyll and Bute 2 61 61 0   31 +30
East Lothian 2 59 65 -6   48 +11
Falkirk 3 47 54 -7   85 -38
Scottish Borders 2 33 40 -7   74 -41
Dumfries and Galloway 2 23 25 -2   34 -11
Shetland Islands 1 17 17 0   13 +4
Highland 1 16 17 -1   19 -3
Na h-Eileanan Siar 1 11 11 0   0 +11
Moray 1 8 8 0   25 -17
Orkney Islands 1 4 4 0   4 0
(Scotland)   116 118 -2   135 -19

Nucky Thompson

12,155 new positive cases in the UK, 7 day average down 25% from the previous week.

People admitted to hospital down 11% from the previous week.

People being treated in hospital drops below 16k for the first time since 14th November

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

12,155 new positive cases in the UK, 7 day average down 25% from the previous week.

People admitted to hospital down 11% from the previous week.

People being treated in hospital drops below 16k for the first time since 14th November

Good news. :thumb:

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic