The January Transfer Window Super Thread

dazajmbo

7 minutes ago, westbow said:

Indeed, may as well play with 11 outfield players. Crap goalies have been our problem for way too long. A good shot stopper will be a relief.

Correct. That's how it seems to be coming across though.

In that case why did Hibs let go of Chris Maxwell? He's got good distribution. However he cost them numerous goals because he isnt very good with his hands. A far more important part of goalkeeping than your feet will ever be IMO. 

Top class keepers can do both nowadays of course, and thats whats required....but we aren't Liverpool or Barcelona etc and cant attract that level of keeper

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• GinRummy

• Hearts007

• Bongo 1874

22 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Trying to move players on, will step up our interest in players we want to get in Thursday and Friday 👍🇱🇻

Nearer the end of the window clubs that have struggled to get rid of the deadwood, or players they don't want they lower the demands. 

The timing that we got Boyce was smart on Hearts part because we had already had an offer rejected, we waited a few days then went back in with another offer, Burton were expecting other clubs to make offers they didn't, this made Burton panic as they wanted to get as much money for him as possible, or risk losing him for nothing Burton paid 500k to bring him to the club when he signed for them. 

It then came out in the media / press that Hearts had an offer accepted for Boyce, this alerted other clubs, Boyce's agent was trying to get him other offers Boyce told him he was set on coming to us. 

Late bids came in from Aberdeen, Hibs, Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Stoke, Qpr, a few of the teams offering him wages that would of blew us out the water. 

Boyce had made his mind up though, after having the chance to play at Tynecastle before, but deciding to turn it down to go and play for Burton, he had been given a second chance to play at Tynecastle. 

And the rest is history 150k for Boyce, with a nice signing on fee everyone's a winner 👍🇱🇻

FB_IMG_1557665971544.jpg

Cheers again for the info Bongo 👍

9 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

If folk are desperate for an ex Hearts goalie I’d rather we brought back Jamie McDonald, fans still like him,  younger than Gordon and would probably be happy to be No 2 here and for a far far FAR cheaper wage.  

Not saying I think we should sign him, I’m just saying if we’re scrambling for a goalie and no one from Stendel’s choices are coming I’d go for him ahead of an old and very expensive Gordon, with Pereira staying as no. 1.

If you think signing him or Gordon would be daft, fair enough. If you’re pro re-signing Gordon but think McDonald would be a daft move, then I think you need to review where you want us to spend money because financially I don’t think there any contest 

Sorry, but your logic is way off. Someone (let's say me) can think that Gordon would be an upgrade on all our current keepers and would be our number 1. Can also think that goalkeeper is currently the weakest position in our team and therefore well worth focusing finance. Gordon is older than MacDonald, but also a FAR better goalkeeper. If offered the choice of bringing in MacDonald as yet another back-up goalie or Gordon as first choice I'm really clear where I'd want to spend money because as you say financially I don't think there is any contest. Your logic only holds up if you think we'd be bringing Gordon in as a reserve keeper.

On the whole 'is he a Stendel pick' stuff, it doesn't seem beyond the realms of possibility that Stendel is aware of a keeper who is a former internationalist and has played in the Champions League. The question of who 'initiated' the transfer is probably just down to what you think is meant by initiated. Is it putting the name to the manager, is it the manager saying let's try and sign him, or is it whoever makes first contact with the player's club. Either way Boyce has signed and scored on his debut and looks like Gordon won't sign. Doesn't seem like it is worth worrying about something that none of us will ever definitively know.

I can understand if the gaffer does go for a different keeper and trust his judgment, however let’s not pretend Craig Gordon wouldn’t be a huge upgrade on what we have

Tom Hardy’s Dug
37 minutes ago, Mac80 said:

I am sure Stendel was very aware of Boyce from his time down south 

Stendel has specifically said he was aware of Boyce before he signed

I wish people would do proper research and reading before they start trying to stir shite.

And you know what? So what if not - he’s a ****ing goal scorer and by assisting 1 and scoring 1 on Sunday has already started to help us avoid relegation.

Much the same as Halkett, Souttar, and Naismith were key to the result all of whom were signed by Levein.

Get a ****ing grip here.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

2 hours ago, bazman said:

Goalkeepers are like any other player where confidence plays a big part. Since stendel has come in I think it clear to see that Joel's confidence has improved a lot like the rest of the squad. Stick with him until the summer in my eyes and get a permanent replacement then

Sounds like a plan to me. No rush for a goalkeeper at the moment. 

I suppose a bit might depend on if Doyle has any plans of moving on in this wndow but Zlamal is the back-up at the moment anyway.

The Wrinkly Ninja
56 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Stendel is clearly open to taking advice from CL already. 

Many will not like that. 

Boyce stated In His Interview we'd been in for him a few times over the past few windows and he felt he was  really wanted. 

Clearly that was CL that was after him then. 

Stendel got him. 

Dugshit

Not clear whatsoever.

4 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Stendel has specifically said he was aware of Boyce before he signed

I wish people would do proper research and reading before they start trying to stir shite.

And you know what? So what if not - he’s a ****ing goal scorer and by assisting 1 and scoring 1 on Sunday has already started to help us avoid relegation.

Much the same as Halkett, Souttar, and Naismith were key to the result all of whom were signed by Levein.

Get a ****ing grip here.

👍

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

Dugshit

Not clear whatsoever.

Totally agree! Don't think Daniel stendel the type of manager to be influenced by anybody other than people he trusts 

I think we are needing to give this Gordon talk a break, we have been told he is not getting away in this window so I would be happy with what we have just now I would think a goalkeeper would be well down Daniels list of players required just now.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Natural Orders said:

Agreed

as I said before - anyone with half a brain would see that Gordon would be a decent signing 

Blah! Blah! Blah!

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Boyce transfer  clearly wasn't Intiated by Stendel. 

CL has had an input  in that, we'd been after him for a while. 

You don't think we should have signed Boyce? 

Stendel confirmed his interest in Boyce, having played against Burton with Barnsley.  I think it’s obvious that Stendel has the final say on recruitment.  Maybe recommended by McCann, but I doubt Levein had anything to do with it.

so, you answered your own question....

watch out for hair on your palms   :-)

11 Craig Leveins

A mean off us getting him now but a suppose its up to celtic still contracted to them 

Edited by 11 Craig Leveins

1 minute ago, 11 Craig Leveins said:

A mean off us getting him now but a suppose its up to celtic still contract to them 

Swap with Doyle?😜

2 minutes ago, H2 said:

Nope, I don;t believe he's played in goals before.

Aye he has, I specifically remember seeing the headline "Jesus saves"

I think it was Dalgleish who scored the rebound though.

Edited by graygo

3 minutes ago, H2 said:

Nope, I don;t believe he's played in goals before.

Graygo beat me to the Jesus Saves 😂

Craig Gordon? FFS if we are looking at keepers who used to be decent but are past the peak of their powers, I’d rather we went for Peter Stilton.  

4 minutes ago, graygo said:

Was Busby as I remember it. 👍🇱🇻

11 Craig Leveins
8 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

It ain't happening. Our man wants younger and hungrier. Not someone coming for kick about before retirement !

Stendel said he wants an experienced keeper so don't see why no? 

13 minutes ago, graygo said:

😂:robboyas: Brilliant, I never saw that one coming!

4 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Not happening according to the Evening Hobo

Bid rejected by Celic

Opening gambit.   2 days to go.

13 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Was Busby as I remember it. 👍🇱🇻

I had a Gilzean badge with "Gibson nets the rebound".

Probably still got it in the attic somewhere.

3 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

in the same way I thought Shankland would have been a good signing for us, I think Gordon would be a good signing for us

You also think Zeefuik and resigning Walter Kidd and Mike Galloway would be good 

1 minute ago, robbo1874 said:

👀 Who's that?

Ms Church.

Never really got the Billie Piper thing when we could have had the good Charlotte.

Edited by graygo