The January Transfer Window Super Thread

dazajmbo

8 minutes ago, DS98 said:

It means that our keeper will have to deal with numerous 1 on 1s. So shot stopping and being an actual decent keeper will be the biggest requirement.  Asking the keeper to rush out every time the ball goes over the top is bat shit mental 

No, the goalkeeper is supposed to be out and clear the ball before it gets to a 1 on 1.

Look at Allison, Neuer and Ederson.    They are out early to prevent 1 on 1s.

Allison's timing and reading of the game are what makes him such a good goalkeeper in Klopp's system.  He usually gets to the ball before needing to make saves.  You rarely see him coming for crosses and catching, same with saves.  Obviously he is a good shot stopper too, which makes him an all round keeper.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• GinRummy

• Hearts007

• Bongo 1874

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

We had more possession of the ball that I can remember for a long time against rangers, they scored with their 1 decent shot. We need a better shot stopper equally imo. Did you see Pereia scrambling about trying to get back after one of his rushing out ? He isn’t the answer, Gordon overall would be better imo. 

I agree we could do better than Pereira, that’s what Stendel will work on, but sweeper keepers who are competent at their feet as well as being excellent shot stoppers will play at a much, much higher level than us. As for who’s better, my opinion is in the current style Pereira is because a large reason Rangers only had that one good shot on goal rather than 5-10 good shots on goal is the possession we had due to Pereira’s distribution ability.

20 minutes ago, graygo said:

He's not a Celtic reject though, Lennon wants to keep him.

He can keep him mate. Nothing against Gordon but I just think Stendel will find better.

Happy to stick with Pereira until the end of the season. He seems to be doing a "Sean Clare" at the moment.

Stendel and "colt" Sievers seem to be having a positive effect on him.

I'm worried that this potential Gordon move is more about Gordon than it is about what Hearts need.

Looking at DS history it does appear that he surrounds himself with key players he knows from Germany/Austria: Hannover 96 and Wolfsberger.

Would not be surprised to see those that he brought to Barnsley moving to Tynecastle for next season: Radlinger in preference to Gordon, etc.

6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

No that there is a chance we might get to keep him permanently after his loan, he hasn't exactly ruled out staying at us 👍🇱🇻

Could see them wanting a decent bit cash for him though. Also if he performs well I'd imagine he will get a lot better options in England unfortunately. Having said that he may turn out to be pretty poor and we'll be happy to send him back!

Do we know how much Barnsley paid for him?

Spoke to a former coach at the club recently who told me that Gordon’s agent had lined up a move to Chelsea a while back, which would have doubled his salary. 
Rodgers refused to sell, and their relationship deteriorated after that. 

Apparently he always wanted to come back, but I suppose it comes down to money. 
I’d welcome someone with his experience and ability, and have to question who supporters would like in goals, if not him. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
12 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Best if you check back yourself , no assumptions

I didn't need to, I know we can never compete with Rangers on wages, hence no inference to that. The comment stands regardless, the position was looked at lazily, any decent keeper landed in Leveins lap, not through his efforts to source one. Include his time at United in that

3 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

No, the goalkeeper is supposed to be out and clear the ball before it gets to a 1 on 1.

Allison's timing and reading of the game are what makes him such a good goalkeeper in Klopp's system.  He usually gets to the ball before needing to make saves.  You rarely see him coming for crosses and catching, same with saves.  Obviously he is a good shot stopper too, which makes him an all round keeper.

Respectfully disagree. 

As I said if you want our keeper to rush 40 yards outside his box every time there’s a counter attack then we’re F*****!

When it’s on to come out and clear then great. But I guarantee you we will be facing so many 2 on 1, 1 on 1 situations between now and the end of the season. We are not Liverpool and we won’t have Allison. Our defenders won’t always be able to make last ditch challenges and our keeper will need to make saves. Big saves  

Lord Beni of Gorgie
6 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Could see them wanting a decent bit cash for him though. Also if he performs well I'd imagine he will get a lot better options in England unfortunately. Having said that he may turn out to be pretty poor and we'll be happy to send him back!

A bit early to get excited about Toby I agree. Great debut, but always a chance we will get better in the summer, good start for him

8 minutes ago, Chimp said:

About 200k from transfer market site

7 minutes ago, Mister Dee said:

Spoke to a former coach at the club recently who told me that Gordon’s agent had lined up a move to Chelsea a while back, which would have doubled his salary. 
Rodgers refused to sell, and their relationship deteriorated after that. 

Apparently he always wanted to come back, but I suppose it comes down to money. 
I’d welcome someone with his experience and ability, and have to question who supporters would like in goals, if not him. 

Read something similar to this. Also he was reassured that he would remain number 1 so not happy when bain and Forster took over

Lord Beni of Gorgie
15 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Those 3 play for top 10 world teams. Best comparing to Allan McGregor, Joe Lewis and Trevor Carson

Not for me.  I don’t want a backup keeper as one of our higher earners.  Would rather we saved the wages and arranged a pre contract to bring Hladky in in the summer (or Davies if Stoke struggle).

Edited by Gashauskis9

2 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Respectfully disagree. 

As I said if you want our keeper to rush 40 yards outside his box every time there’s a counter attack then we’re F*****!

When it’s on to come out and clear then great. But I guarantee you we will be facing so many 2 on 1, 1 on 1 situations between now and the end of the season. We are not Liverpool and we won’t have Allison. Our defenders won’t always be able to make last ditch challenges and our keeper will need to make saves. Big saves  

Fair enough.  🙂

That's the risk/reward with gegenpress.  Our back line will be caught out more as they get used to the system.

I'm not saying the goalkeeper has to come out every time, just that he is needed to do so more often than in other systems.  Gordon wouldn't manage that.

How many times has Periera came out and either headed the ball or cleared it since Stendel came in?  Gordon's distribution and clearing has always been pretty crap.  Periera is a more modern goalie where reading of the game, distribution and ball skills are more important than shot stopping.

Are we allowed to play 2 goalies? Gordon there to save shots and stuff and pereira on hand to sweep up and do the kicking? 

:levein_interesting:

This will be interesting as ITK person has said that Gordon isn’t coming back but BBC saying we have been having talks for weeks and he is near to returning to us. 

ITK status on the line...

27 minutes ago, MCW1976 said:

Pereira hardly plays the Sweeper Keeper. When he does come out of his box, it's usually an error of judgement. Very lucky that he hasn't been left with a red face on occasion. Some of the goals that have went past him have been very, very save-able.

While I had written earlier that I'm more comfortable with Pereira coming out of his box, I'd forgotten about the times he has gotten himself into a fankle, including one on Sunday.

More I think about it, Gordon being asked to make his starting position a few yards forward but just clearing headers and not trying to be smart, may be more preferable.

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Those 3 play for top 10 world teams. Best comparing to Allan McGregor, Joe Lewis and Trevor Carson

I know, I know.  🙂

I'm just saying that the goalkeeper role has changed as tactics have evolved.

You have to get players to fit the system you are trying to play.  Hence Stendel getting rid of players that don't have the legs or stamina to play a high press.   That's why Clare and Bozanic have been getting lots of game time in his system.  I'm guessing it's also why he favours youth.

Just now, JJ93 said:

This will be interesting as ITK person has said that Gordon isn’t coming back but BBC saying we have been having talks for weeks and he is near to returning to us. 

I'm backing the ITK's. **** Gordon and the BBC.

jack D and coke

Gordon trying to snake his way back here so he can retire here topping up the pension in Edinburgh sooking up to us pretending he’s a Hearts man again. 
Sorry but 🤮

Actually I've thought about this more and if it means we bin Doyle and Zlamal and get Gordon in, I'd be for it.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, colinmaroon said:

Craig was never particularly good with his distribution and I just can't  see him playing the sweeper/keeper role.

Having said that, where are we going to get a good keeper with those attributes.  Even if Pereira steadied his general performance and he was excellent on Sunday, he's away at the end of the season. 

Not getting this "excellent on Sunday" part from folk. 

He didn't make a save. 

According to the stats he made 1, but I don't remember it. 

Sums him up tbh, his best game for us is because he hit 2/3 good passes. 

He wasn't even that good/ quick off his line imo. 

Hestitaed a few times. 

We used to congratulate a keeper if he made a handful of important saves. 

The team done well on Sunday but Gordon is simply a far better goalkeeper than what we have and like you say Peirra is leaving in 5 months anyway. 

His pass to White was great tho, worth mention. 

We need a better gk imo. Gordon or not, we need better. 

Clue number one. The name of the position on the field. GOALKEEPER.

1. Priority. To keep the ball from going under the bar and in between the posts into the net. Does Craig Gordon do this better than 99% of the other goalies in Scotland? Answer a simple yes.

Does Joel Pereria do this better than

99% of the other goalies in Scotland? Answer a simple no.

Argument over.

If we get the chance to sign Craig Gordon we grab it with both hands and we play him. Anyone else who says otherwise knows **** all about goalkeeping.

The Wrinkly Ninja

Not keen on Gordon to be honest but if a player from another team kicks the football towards the goal he is more likely than Periera Zlamal or Doyle to stop it being a goal.

He isn’t the only keeper in the world who is better than those three however so I am unsure whether a 38 year old Gordon is the best we can do. 

I worry that that he will spend a large part of the season suspended after bringing down forwards who are running into that area behind our back four. He is a little more than rash in these situations.

He better be good at stopping penalties.

I'd imagine we would have to send Pereira back?  No way are they going to let him stay here as a back up keeper, he's here for first team experience.

Can see it already, pay Celtic for Gordon and send Pereira back to United, Gordon then gets injured for 10months and we have to use Doyle/zlamal for the rest of the season.  

No thanks. 

1 minute ago, Lovecraft said:

Fair enough.  🙂

That's the risk/reward with gegenpress.  Our back line will be caught out more as they get used to the system.

I'm not saying the goalkeeper has to come out every time, just that he is needed to do so more often than in other systems.  Gordon wouldn't manage that.

How many times has Periera came out and either headed the ball or cleared it since Stendel came in?  Gordon's distribution and clearing has always been pretty crap.  Periera is a more modern goalie where reading of the game, distribution and ball skills are more important than shot stopping.

Yep. A club the size of ours can only realistically get a guy who’s comfortable with the ball or just a generally good goalkeeper. I’m sure Stendel wants both but they aren’t many of them going about and they cost upwards of £50m!

The fact people still think anyone else apart from stendel is signing players is flabbergasting. 

levein has signed players for hearts, but only when he was the manager. Has he suggested players in the past to cathro and Robbie? Of course! Has he forced signings? Obviously not. Has he went above the manager and signed anyone? Of course not. 

He has absolutely no power over Stendel, and I don’t see Budge making player recommendations. 

This thread should be sponsored by Huggies. 

25 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Barnsley paid 150k upfront and 50k in instalments, Gerhard Struber obviously doesn't fancy him hence why he is on loan. 

That's right there could be be better option's in England, but how many teams in England get a chance to play in Europe? he's also working under the manager that signed him for Barnsley and put trust in him. 

He also fits our strategy to bring in young high potential players, and sell them on for a profit. 

I can guarantee everyone now as Stendel has said there is money to bring in a striker 👍

There will be even more money in the summer mark my words trust me as Stendel says believe me. 

If Stendel keep us up which I think he will, expect season tickets to be over 14 thousand, again trust me believe me this guy will bring good times to Hearts. 

Yours sincerely Bongo 1874

Edited by Bongo 1874

Ex member of the SaS

Not read back but Berra has refused a move to Salford. Sibbick would be a great signing and not 100% convinced Gordon is a good idea , though I did like him when he was here.

Just now, Dayman said:

The fact people still think anyone else apart from stendel is signing players is flabbergasting. 

levein has signed players for hearts, but only when he was the manager. Has he suggested players in the past to cathro and Robbie? Of course! Has he forced signings? Obviously not. Has he went above the manager and signed anyone? Of course not. 

He has absolutely no power over Stendel, and I don’t see Budge making player recommendations. 

This thread should be sponsored by Huggies. 

Also there are other people whether its John Murray, MacPhee doing the groundwork.

There would have to be. Otherwise Stendel would have no time to do any coaching. 

2 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Yep. A club the size of ours can only realistically get a guy who’s comfortable with the ball or just a generally good goalkeeper. I’m sure Stendel wants both but they aren’t many of them going about and they cost upwards of £50m!

So we need to go with the one that fits best in with Stendel's system.

I don't think that's Gordon.

Gordon is not just the best Hearts goalkeeper I have ever seen, he is one of the best goalies ever I have seen.

7 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

Neither are correct.

Some ITKers have said it 100% isn’t happening and there is been no communications. Untrue

But hasn’t been in talks for weeks. More like days. And he isn’t near a return. More like a small chance

16 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Fair enough.  🙂

Sunday seems like so long ago already but one clear header (good) and got in a bit of the mess with the other, but managed to just clear it.

Airdrie, got in a bit of a mess once I can recall (at 1.0) but that was a misjudgement in the penalty box.

I think budget could be better used elsewhere and get a 'Stendel' option in in the summer but I'm far from convinced that Pereira is that great judge of what to be doing more than Gordon.

Edited by DETTY29

5 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Barnsley paid 150k upfront and 50k in instalments, Gerhard Struber obviously doesn't fancy him hence why he is on loan. 

That's right there could be be better option's in England, but how many teams in England get a chance to play in Europe? he's also working under the manager that signed him for Barnsley and put trust in him. 

He also fits our strategy to bring in young high potential players, and sell them on for a profit. 

I can guarantee everyone know as Stendel has said there is money to bring in a striker 👍

There will be even more money in the summer mark my words trust me as Stendel says believe me. 

If Stendel keep us up which I think he will, expect season tickets to be over 14 thousand, again trust me believe me this guy will bring good times to Hearts. 

As ever Bongo, thanks for the info.

Just now, Clark Griswold said:

Doesn't everyone just love debating the Gordon situation on two threads...

I agree it’s confusing. Merge would be helpful 

Selkirkhmfc1874
5 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I can guarantee everyone know as Stendel has said there is money to bring in a striker 👍

There's no doubt there will be big changes in the summer because that's when good few contracts run out and they'll free up more wages for more incomings 

1 minute ago, DS98 said:

Neither are correct.

Some ITKers have said it 100% isn’t happening and there is been no communications. Untrue

But hasn’t been in talks for weeks. More like days. And he isn’t near a return. More like a small chance

Good point.

20 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I didn't need to, I know we can never compete with Rangers on wages, hence no inference to that. The comment stands regardless, the position was looked at lazily, any decent keeper landed in Leveins lap, not through his efforts to source one. Include his time at United in that

'the money wasn't there because we didn't give the position the respect' !

When we were lazily trying to sign MacGregor the money wasn't there because we didn't have it .

Please , have a day off .

Make it today

14 hours ago, dazajmbo said:

CRAIG GORDON IS NOT GOING TO BE A HEARTS PLAYER. NOW AMOUNT OF CLICK BAIT WEBSITES OR HISTORIAN FANS WILL CHANGE STENDEL'S MIND.

In daza we trust!  Think levein is all over this one

7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Also there are other people whether its John Murray, MacPhee doing the groundwork.

There would have to be. Otherwise Stendel would have no time to do any coaching. 

Yep. Common sense really. I don’t know if anyone on this has been around a sporting team doing recruitment, but it’s a full time job, even at a lower level! 

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, Clark Griswold said:

Doesn't everyone just love debating the Gordon situation on two threads...

Aye :lol: 

Back and forward here myself. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

I know, I know.  🙂

I'm just saying that the goalkeeper role has changed as tactics have evolved.

You have to get players to fit the system you are trying to play.  Hence Stendel getting rid of players that don't have the legs or stamina to play a high press.   That's why Clare and Bozanic have been getting lots of game time in his system.  I'm guessing it's also why he favours youth.

Certainly have evolved.

My thought process, if we can get him, its not a bad thing, its good, but slightly surprised we are not looking for a younger player.

Plenty of good keepers out there if you look hard enough

11 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

I'd imagine we would have to send Pereira back?  No way are they going to let him stay here as a back up keeper, he's here for first team experience.

Can see it already, pay Celtic for Gordon and send Pereira back to United, Gordon then gets injured for 10months and we have to use Doyle/zlamal for the rest of the season.  

No thanks. 

Periera could get injured too.

I suppose we need to look up Gordon's injury history since he started playing again.

When he is out is it due to pimarily knee strains, or broken bones that could happen to anyone.