The January Transfer Window Super Thread

dazajmbo

SomethingAboutObua
4 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

We got any new names or updates on anyone mentioned previously?

You know, as opposed to having a pointless circular debate about Craig Gordon?

I heard Milinkovic hates it in Vancouver and is dying on a move back to us 

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• GinRummy

• Hearts007

• Bongo 1874

17 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Gordon's agent and Celtic hawking the shite out of this in the press. Gordon for his own self interests, Celtic so they can use him as part of a Hickey Deal. Hopefully Hearts will stick two fingers up at the pair of them and this weegie press fantasy story.

Gordon would be the most pointless signing we could possibly make at the moment. 

1) He's too old

2) He's injury prone

3) His decision making and distribution are poor. 

4) He's not as good as he once was

5) His wage would be a waste of money

What’s the positives?

None.

Is there any update on the Hickey situation? Had read on here that a few bids were expected last week

3 minutes ago, Dr Ian Malcolm said:

Can someone point out where Stendel has said he actually wants a "sweeper keeper"? If you're going to press high up the pitch with a high line, then you don't want the ball at your own keeper's feet for too long.

FWIW Gordon is better than Pereira. Being able to pass the ball is nice but keeping it out the net is more  more important, and is a bit if a weakness of Pereira's. Gordon was good enough with ball at his feet for a Celtic team that won everything going for long enough.

Not saying there aren't others out there, but anyone who thinks he isn't an upgrade on what we have is kidding themselves.

You mainly want a goalkeeper that can pass the ball.

Which relies on players being free, finding space. Some passes to left or right, some through centre, some long chipped mostly diagonal. 

All potentially tight areas where opponents could get in for misplaced or slow passes. 

37 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

any of their players would be more than good enough for us just now - we are certainly not in a position to turn down Celtic players!

Off the top of my head, you'd be happy for:

Ajer instead of Souttar

Hayes instead of Hickey

Morgan instead of Naismith

Griffiths instead of Boyce

Actually, you'd be happy with:

Augustyn for Souttar

Rherras for Hickey

El Hassnaoui for Naismith

Zeefuik for Boyce

5 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Agreed

as I said before - anyone with half a brain would see that Gordon would be a decent signing 

Maybe that's the issue, you only have half a brain. Whereas the rest of us with full brains can see beyond Craig Gordon.

Bazzas right boot
27 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Gordon's agent and Celtic hawking the shite out of this in the press. Gordon for his own self interests, Celtic so they can use him as part of a Hickey Deal. Hopefully Hearts will stick two fingers up at the pair of them and this weegie press fantasy story.

Gordon would be the most pointless signing we could possibly make at the moment. 

1) He's too old

2) He's injury prone

What’s the positives?

None.

The only positive is that he's a better goalkeeper than our current 3.

They'll no doubt be others, but Gordon would be an upgrade atm. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

LarrysRightFoot
9 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

What you have posted is a waste of characters.

There is enough evidence already that DS will sign HIS men without you trying to trump up conspiracy theories.

If he consulted CL then good on him .  It shows how big a man he is.

I don't think CL should have any say and there is no evidence that he has - unless you have some hard facts.

If CL was behind it, DS will decide if he plays or not and even if the Hibs manager suggested someone I would be happy to take that player if DS thought he was better than we had or was likely to get otherwise.

There are plenty of other threads on AB/CL to get your real point across.

My one and only point is Levein (and Budge) should have no say in transfers. 

Gordon has been a target of the Levein regime before so I hardly think it’s a huge jump to say they could have an influence in him being a target. 

Also given the weakest part of his game was always his kicking (this may have got better, I don’t know) I doubt he would be Stendel’s first pick. Also his age is another potential drawback. 

Yes I’m sure DS will know who he is and his experience could be valuable, however, it doesn’t feel as though he’d be Stendel’s choice (obviously i could be wrong). 

As I said before Barnsley’s signing policy drove a wedge between him and the club - I don’t think we would want that to happen here. 

My argument and points for concern are clear. 

Btw your Messi comment was ridiculous. 

Bazzas right boot
30 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

What you have posted is a waste of characters.

There is enough evidence already that DS will sign HIS men without you trying to trump up conspiracy theories.

If he consulted CL then good on him .  It shows how big a man he is.

I don't think CL should have any say and there is no evidence that he has - unless you have some hard facts.

If CL was behind it, DS will decide if he plays or not and even if the Hibs manager suggested someone I would be happy to take that player if DS thought he was better than we had or was likely to get otherwise.

There are plenty of other threads on AB/CL to get your real point across.

Stendel is clearly open to taking advice from CL already. 

Many will not like that. 

Boyce stated In His Interview we'd been in for him a few times over the past few windows and he felt he was  really wanted. 

Clearly that was CL that was after him then. 

Stendel got him. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

My one and only point is Levein (and Budge) should have no say in transfers. 

Gordon has been a target of the Levein regime before so I hardly think it’s a huge jump to say they could have an influence in him being a target. 

Also given the weakest part of his game was always his kicking (this may have got better, I don’t know) I doubt he would be Stendel’s first pick. Also his age is another potential drawback. 

Yes I’m sure DS will know who he is and his experience could be valuable, however, it doesn’t feel as though he’d be Stendel’s choice (obviously i could be wrong). 

As I said before Barnsley’s signing policy drove a wedge between him and the club - I don’t think we would want that to happen here. 

My argument and points for concern are clear. 

Btw your Messi comment was ridiculous. 

Boyce transfer  clearly wasn't Intiated by Stendel. 

CL has had an input  in that, we'd been after him for a while. 

You don't think we should have signed Boyce? 

48 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

It’s a pretty interesting debate point to be honest

Would we have had as much possession and control from the back with Gordon in goals? Would our defenders have had as much confidence to stay high up the pitch if they weren’t certain Gordon had the speed to effectively play sweeper? Would Halkett have been as high up for our first goal?

I don’t know the answer to any of this but these are the judgement calls

Would Gordon have saved a number of shots this season that have resulted in goals - yes. Would he leave as sub keeper for a Celtic to be sub-keeper at Hearts?

Is Stendel pragmatic enough not to have the H

his perfect idea of a sweeper keeper for 4 months to have a better shot stopper given our position?

I personally think the answer to the last question is no - he is so determined for all his players to be able to play his system - which is why Berra has been binned.

Yep it’s a puzzle no doubt, with different opinions on what’s right. Personally I’d go for a shot stopper at the moment as the system won’t be perfect anyway until after the summer imo and we will give teams clear cut chances. I’m not slating Pereia as I think he is the best of the bunch we have but he just never seems to make big saves. I’m happy to go with him until the summer if a long term replacement can be secured. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
52 minutes ago, cameron79 said:

Having signed Boycie I was hoping that would be the end of the Shankland chat. I guess not

Good video on YouTube showing all of his goals in season 16/17. Good variety in them. Premier League goals as well

4 minutes ago, Mac80 said:

Is that fact?

Boyce said in post match interview that Hearts had been talking to him during many previous transfer windows.

No idea if Stendel came up with name independently.

Edited by naeclue

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

How do you know this? 

He scored against Stendel's Barnsley while playing for Burton so could just have easily been his own pick.

26 minutes ago, mc2607 said:

Thank Christ. That was a close one. If it was even true.

I would really quite like to get Perreira on a permanent deal and someone else (not Gordon) on a pre-contract. I love Perreira's distribution so if he can improve on his shot-stopping he would be an incredible keeper and I'd be more than happy for him to be our #1. 

You'd like Pereira on a permanent deal??? Wow.  If he isnt able to stop shots at his age at point in his career then he is certainly isn't going to start now

Basically saying all he can do is distribute well and if he improves then he would be incredible? Absolutely bizarre statement

Why you would want a goalkeeper signed permanently that isnt able to do anything well (and i mean anything) other than ping a ball, is beyond me

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Hopefully not. Nobody other than our Manager should be initiating transfers imo.

I am sure Stendel was very aware of Boyce from his time down south 

Boyce  has clearly been on our radar for a while. That doesnt mean he wasnt on DS's either, he scored against Barnsley when Stendel was there.

What is apparent is that all the signings so far are clear that they are happy to be working with Stendel and he is happy with them too. I cant see that changing

7 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I don’t think that’s clear at all. 

Stendel will have known about Boyce and his goal scoring exploits from his time in England - when Burton and Barnsley were in the same division. 

Just now, Chimp said:

You'd like Pereira on a permanent deal??? Wow.  If he isnt able to stop shots at his age at point in his career then he is certainly isn't going to start now

Basically saying all he can do is distribute well and if he improves then he would be incredible? Absolutely bizarre statement

Why you would want a goalkeeper signed permanently that isnt able to do anything well (and i mean anything) other than ping a ball, is beyond me

I guess it depends on whether you think a goalkeeper will contribute more being good at reading the game and distributing or whether he is a good shot stopper.

I actually think the former will contribute more in our new style of play and would favour that over a keeper who is good at shot stopping but surrenders possession every time he gets the ball

4 minutes ago, Mac80 said:

I am sure Stendel was very aware of Boyce from his time down south 

I am too, but I'm less concerned how DS becomes aware of a player than I am who initiates a transfer for them.

I'm not keen on it but don't really mind Levein suggesting a player to Stendel but Smith's right boot is insinuating that someone other than Stendel initiated the actual transfer of Boyce...which I'm 100% not okay with.

Edited by Taffin

21 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

The only positive is that he's a better goalkeeper than our current 3.

They'll no doubt be others, but Gordon would be an upgrade atm. 

For what he makes up in shot stopping he lacks in other areas. I disagree he'd be an upgrade. He'd be waste of a jersey. We can do better. 

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I am too, but I'm less concerned how DS becomes aware of a player than I am who initiates a transfer for them.

I'm not keen on it but don't really mind Levein suggesting a player to Stendel but Smith's right boot is insinuating that someone other than Stendel initiated the actual transfer of Boyce...which I'm 100% not okay with.

Yes i am the same, i do struggle to see anyone other than Stendel initiating though. 

LarrysRightFoot
20 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Boyce played and scored against Barnsley under Stendel. Stendel’s comments on Boyce make it clear he likes him as a player, knows his attributes and he thinks he will fit our style of play. Maybe there was a happy coincidence that both DS and Levein (MacPhee more than likely) like the same player. 

As stated by numerous people Gordon does not appear to suit Stendel’s style of play. 

It’s meant to work like - 

Stendel goes to the SD and tells them the player he wants OR he wants a player with certain attributes.

Does this sound likely with Gordon? I don’t think so, if it is happy days, if not there’s a problem. 

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

Those saying Gordon would be a good signing are maybe remembering him at his peak. He's hardly played for the last 2 seasons and when he has, he's not looked a patch on the keeper he was. At 37 he wont get any better.

I'm happy with Pereira for the rest of this season. He's done well recently and a good fit for the system we play.

I also dont really see him as a Hearts guy anymore after the time he's been at celtic. 

2 hours ago, Clark Griswold said:

Thanks Bongo. Anything else likely to happen today?

Trying to move players on, will step up our interest in players we want to get in Thursday and Friday 👍🇱🇻

Nearer the end of the window clubs that have struggled to get rid of the deadwood, or players they don't want they lower the demands. 

The timing that we got Boyce was smart on Hearts part because we had already had an offer rejected, we waited a few days then went back in with another offer, Burton were expecting other clubs to make offers they didn't, this made Burton panic as they wanted to get as much money for him as possible, or risk losing him for nothing Burton paid 500k to bring him to the club when he signed for them. 

It then came out in the media / press that Hearts had an offer accepted for Boyce, this alerted other clubs, Boyce's agent was trying to get him other offers Boyce told him he was set on coming to us. 

Late bids came in from Aberdeen, Hibs, Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Stoke, Qpr, a few of the teams offering him wages that would of blew us out the water. 

Boyce had made his mind up though, after having the chance to play at Tynecastle before, but deciding to turn it down to go and play for Burton, he had been given a second chance to play at Tynecastle. 

And the rest is history 150k for Boyce, with a nice signing on fee everyone's a winner 👍🇱🇻

FB_IMG_1557665971544.jpg

1 minute ago, Mac80 said:

Yes i am the same, i do struggle to see anyone other than Stendel initiating though. 

Yeh, we are on the same page. I can't see it myself and reckon it's just disinformation

jack D and coke
54 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

1) He's too old

2) He's injury prone

6) He’s Celtic filth🤮

What’s the positives?

None.

FTFY☺️

4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I think Boyce would have been suggested to stendel and would have been asked if ok with this but he was adamant that we were after another striker which presumably he has targeted, maybe Blackburn or

Wolfsburg striker?

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

I guess it depends on whether you think a goalkeeper will contribute more being good at reading the game and distributing or whether he is a good shot stopper.

I actually think the former will contribute more in our new style of play and would favour that over a keeper who is good at shot stopping but surrenders possession every time he gets the ball

I get it that Keepers need to be good with the ball at their feet now. But being able to stop shots is the most important part. Also being able to come and collect cross balls, which Pereira cant do either. Are you also taking into consideration the fumbles and mistakes as well? These kinds of things dont fill your teammates with confidence. It's like some fans are sort of accepting the fact he is absolutely murder because he can distribute well

8 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Indeed, may as well play with 11 outfield players. Crap goalies have been our problem for way too long. A good shot stopper will be a relief.

Just now, Newton51 said:

I think Boyce would have been suggested to stendel and would have been asked if ok with this but he was adamant that we were after another striker which presumably he has targeted, maybe Blackburn or

Wolfsburg striker?

That's my personal thoughts on it too but equally he may well have been after him himself.

What I don't think is true is that someone else initiated the transfer as has been suggested.

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Yeh, we are on the same page. I can't see it myself and reckon it's just disinformation

Just pure guesswork from a certain poster IMO

1 minute ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Boyce played and scored against Barnsley under Stendel. Stendel’s comments on Boyce make it clear he likes him as a player, knows his attributes and fit our style of play. Maybe there was a happy coincidence that both DS and Levein (MacPhee more tan likely) like the same player. 

As stated by numerous people Gordon does not appear to suit Stendel’s style of play. 

It’s meant to work like - 

Stendel goes to the SD and tells them the player he wants OR he wants a player with attributes.

Does this sound likely with Gordon? I don’t think so, if it is happy days, if not there’s a problem. 

Pretty much where I am. I don’t think that there is the remotest chance of us signing a player Stendel doesn’t want/knows can improve us. 
If someone has suggested Gordon is available there’s no way Stendel isnt aware of his strengths/weaknesses. If Stendel wants him I’m okay with it

SomethingAboutObua

If folk are desperate for an ex Hearts goalie I’d rather we brought back Jamie McDonald, fans still like him,  younger than Gordon and would probably be happy to be No 2 here and for a far far FAR cheaper wage.  

Not saying I think we should sign him, I’m just saying if we’re scrambling for a goalie and no one from Stendel’s choices are coming I’d go for him ahead of an old and very expensive Gordon, with Pereira staying as no. 1.

If you think signing him or Gordon would be daft, fair enough. If you’re pro re-signing Gordon but think McDonald would be a daft move, then I think you need to review where you want us to spend money because financially I don’t think there any contest 

3 minutes ago, Chimp said:

I get it that Keepers need to be good with the ball at their feet now. But being able to stop shots is the most important part. Also being able to come and collect cross balls, which Pereira cant do either. Are you also taking into consideration the fumbles and mistakes as well? These kinds of things dont fill your teammates with confidence. It's like some fans are sort of accepting the fact he is absolutely murder because he can distribute well

I'm not sure the part in bold is true anymore. If he saves more goals by sweeping well and contributes to attacks that lead to goals than he costs us by not saving shots he 'should' have then surely the other two parts are the most important?

It's horses for courses but Stendel's style can't work with a shot stopper/traditional goalkeeper to the detriment of being comfortable with the ball. That's only my opinion though.

For example, is De Gea a better shot stopper (brain farts aside) that say Ederson? I reckon he probably he is but I doubt that is offset by the other attributes Ederson has where he is much better.

Edited by Taffin

2 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

Those saying Gordon would be a good signing are maybe remembering him at his peak. He's hardly played for the last 2 seasons and when he has, he's not looked a patch on the keeper he was. At 37 he wont get any better.

I'm happy with Pereira for the rest of this season. He's done well recently and a good fit for the system we play.

I also dont really see him as a Hearts guy anymore after the time he's been at celtic. 

CG has payed around 100 matches in the last 2.1/2 seasons.

200 matches in the last 4.1/2 seasons.

Don’t just repeat the bullshit you read on here.........

45 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Agreed

as I said before - anyone with half a brain would see that Gordon would be a decent signing 

Correct.

Anyone with a full brain will think otherwise.

7 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Wolfsburg striker?

👍😉🇱🇻He also knew of him during his time at Barnsley. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm not sure the part in bold is true anymore. If he saves more goals by sweeping well and contributing to attacks that he costs us by not saving shots he 'should' have then surely the other two parts are the most important?

Could this not be coached? Shot stopping (or whatever term) I presume is innate. Surely its not beyond coaching staff to train goalkeepers on "sweeping". As tactics are concerned it doesn't sound a big ask.

5 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

👍😉🇱🇻He also knew of him during his time at Barnsley. 

In bongo we trust! Its going to be a long 2 days 😢

13 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Trying to move players on, will step up our interest in players we want to get in Thursday and Friday 👍🇱🇻

Nearer the end of the window clubs that have struggled to get rid of the deadwood, or players they don't want they lower the demands. 

The timing that we got Boyce was smart on Hearts part because we had already had an offer rejected, we waited a few days then went back in with another offer, Burton were expecting other clubs to make offers they didn't, this made Burton panic as they wanted to get as much money for him as possible, or risk losing him for nothing Burton paid 500k to bring him to the club when he signed for them. 

It then came out in the media / press that Hearts had an offer accepted for Boyce, this alerted other clubs, Boyce's agent was trying to get him other offers Boyce told him he was set on coming to us. 

Late bids came in from Aberdeen, Hibs, Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Stoke, Qpr, a few of the teams offering him wages that would of blew us out the water. 

Boyce had made his mind up though, after having the chance to play at Tynecastle before, but deciding to turn it down to go and play for Burton, he had been given a second chance to play at Tynecastle. 

And the rest is history 150k for Boyce, with a nice signing on fee everyone's a winner 👍🇱🇻

FB_IMG_1557665971544.jpg

If all this is true, and I have every reason to believe it is then it feels great to be signing players who actually want to be here rather than for the money etc. 

Thanks for the information again bongo

7 minutes ago, westbow said:

Could this not be coached? Shot stopping (or whatever term) I presume is innate. Surely its not beyond coaching staff to train goalkeepers on "sweeping". As tactics are concerned it doesn't sound a big ask.

I imagine they are as coachable or innate as each other, otherwise you could just 'coach' any athlete to have good reading of the game and technical ability. I guess