The January Transfer Window Super Thread

dazajmbo

jack D and coke
7 minutes ago, DS98 said:

There’s something personal went on between you and Craig eh? C’mon tell us. 

You have an unhealthy hatred of the guy. 

:lol: 

He’s Celtic filth mate. It sticks in my craw when they play up to that lot. 

Edited by jack D and coke

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• GinRummy

• Hearts007

• Bongo 1874

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Gordon was first choice at Celtic until just over a year ago (i.e. the Murrayfield game was about the time Bain started being preferred).

Rodgers obviously thought he was a decent enough footballing goalie for the first 2 trebles (after some initial preference for  De Vries)

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

So you don’t have a Levein duvet cover?

😉

2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I hate Celtic as much as the next rational thinking guy. Still don’t think he’s ever played up to that lot, nor really ever been accepted by them. All about opinions though 

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

Only one poster has said Stendel wants him. One said Stendel would need to be convinced and the other said he didn't want him at all.

If we sign him it won't be without the influence of others at the club. He's not the type of player to fit Stendels system. He's not even that good anymore ffs. Never looked great when I've seen him recently. 

Craig was never particularly good with his distribution and I just can't  see him playing the sweeper/keeper role.

Having said that, where are we going to get a good keeper with those attributes.  Even if Pereira steadied his general performance and he was excellent on Sunday, he's away at the end of the season. 

26 minutes ago, graygo said:

Well if they had I wouldn't have said it. :leveinproblem:

Yes, yes, I see you’re game Graygo. Very cunning

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Presumably we would have to buy him. No way would Lennon loan him to us or let him go on a free as otherwise he would be doing us a favour to help us avoid relegation 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

So you don’t have a Levein duvet cover?

😉

If Levein would just leave asap I might no burn it. 

1 minute ago, DS98 said:

I hate Celtic as much as the next rational thinking guy. Still don’t think he’s ever played up to that lot, nor really ever been accepted by them. All about opinions though 

It is about opinion mate. I’m not literally spitting tacks here it’s a little bit tongue in cheek and if Stendel wants him then I’ll grudgingly accept it of course I will. 
Im irrational when it comes to Hearts though :lol: and I take it personal when ex players turn out for that lot...

:seething:

Vlad the impaler
6 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

BBC don't generally put anything down until after the event, safe to say this is sound information.

Be interesting to see how it pans out, I'm a fan, but it doesn't look a long term option.

Sievers I would say would be deeply involved in any decision

Imo Gordon would walk

into tynecastle as clearly the best goalkeeper and I’d welcome it as long as were not paying through the nose. I do worry about him as a sweeper keeper and the way we want to play though as never been the quickest from a standing start🤔

1 minute ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

Presumably we would have to buy him. No way would Lennon loan him to us or let him go on a free as otherwise he would be doing us a favour to help us avoid relegation 

Much as Lennon is Lennon, I'm pretty sure he couldn't give a stuff whether we go down or not.

6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Indeed.

I said this yesterday, some folk on here seem happy to deal with the old firm and accept their rejects. I cant see Gordon improving us next season when he's 38.

Rodgers had him as first choice for 2.5 years and Gordon did 'pass' the ball more but Rodgers tactics appeared to be more to get the ball to the full backs and work from there.  And Gordon did pass the ball a lot to full backs even when the were under pressure but then it was up to the outfield players to play their way out.  On occassion, there was a poor Gordon pass or very occassionally the other team pressed enough, not enough Celtic movement, which cost a goal.  

I'm more confident in Pereira coming out his box quickly in the case of danger and his ability to a medium to long pass out of defence with his feet i.e I doubt Craig could play that 60 odd yard pass to White.

However, I've a hell of a lot more confidence in Gordon's core saving ability.  Don't recall any outstanding Pereira saves yet but if we looked though the goals we have lost, I'm sure there would be a few Pereira lost where you would say 'I think Gordon would do better'

It was is becoming more noticeable that Pereira threw, rolled the ball to the full backs, especially Clare, so as long as Gordon has an accurate 20 - 40 yard throw then long balls from opposition that come through to his hands then we don't really have as big a problem.

Not worried about Gordon's constant criticism of commanding cross balls.  Its not really the goalkeeping game anymore, hasn't been for decades and Periera hardly comes out of the 3, 4 yard core zone much either.

So it's awareness around that 20 to 30 yard area if we are caught out v. core saving ability v. budget for the remainder of the season being used elsewhere.

In Stendel judgement we trust.

PS - not a ringing endorsement of Gordon but if do we bring him in, it should be a to end season deal with the option of the other year being with Hearts to make sure Stendel and Seivers are happy with him whether as No.1 or back up in season 2.

Edited by DETTY29

13 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

don’t think he’s anywhere near up to your level at the moment it’ll be a lower league team he goes to in Glasgow or Edinburgh 

Hibs or Partick then 

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
1 minute ago, colinmaroon said:

Craig was never particularly good with his distribution and I just can't  see him playing the sweeper/keeper role.

Having said that, where are we going to get a good keeper with those attributes.  Even if Pereira steadied his general performance and he was excellent on Sunday, he's away at the end of the season. 

I have no idea but here's a radge idea; Why not let Stendel identify the keeper he wants then make an effort to sign them? This just doesn't sit right with me, if we are actually imterested in him.

13 minutes ago, DS98 said:

As in he had never before been involved in the actual dealings. Obviously he has chosen players but it’s a complicated process. Phone calls, agents, accommodation, contracts etc. He has always had a director of football or the equivalent to do that for him. 

👍

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Indeed.

I said this yesterday, some folk on here seem happy to deal with the old firm and accept their rejects. I cant see Gordon improving us next season when he's 38.

Na I agree man. That just reeks of all these goons we had as managers in the past who seem to know their place under the OF’s boot. 
I don’t want DS to accept this shit. 

Wonder if Gordon has done his badges? Could be a player coach to assist with Seivers.

I'd prefer we looked forwards not backwards but if he comes then I'd welcome him back, particularly if it means the end of Bobby and Doyle's time with us.

34 minutes ago, bazman said:

If you read bongos comments he doesn't say incredible league 1 players. That's 2 different paragraphs. He says the level of players we have been or are talking to is incredible. We are also talking to league 1 players. There are 1/2 incredible players in league 1 but they would be out of our reach with the fees being mentioned for them to championship teams 

Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things and I’m sure you are bored as I am but he didn’t say ‘also’ as you have worded it. He mentioned Barnsley players and league 1 players. Fingers crossed we get some incredible players. 👍

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things and I’m sure you are bored as I am but he didn’t say ‘also’ as you have worded it. He mentioned Barnsley players and league 1 players. Fingers crossed we get some incredible players. 👍

Agreed

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, AlphonseCapone said:

If Stendel wants him then I want him. If he doesn't, then I don't. Simple. I trust Stendel completely. 

:spoton:

43 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Nothing to do with his divorce, then?

Is he getting divorced again?

It would be a bit rich Lennon dropping anyone due to disrespect towards their partner.

But he is a cretin.

Edited by DETTY29

I'm not really keen on Gordon returning due to his age,  injuries and his limitations with the ball at his feet. One of my daughters is a pal of his partner so I will message her today and see if she's ITK.

27 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

BBC don't generally put anything down until after the event, safe to say this is sound information.

Be interesting to see how it pans out, I'm a fan, but it doesn't look a long term option.

Sievers I would say would be deeply involved in any decision

Really didn't think there was anything in this but now actually starting to wonder 🤔

2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Boo. Thought Bongo hinted in the Sibbick thread that there might be an option to buy. :sad:

I said need to wait and see, could be a few surprises 😉

1 minute ago, Longshanks said:

Why have three mediocre keepers when you can have four. 

Almost regardless of the merits of our keepers, it seems utterly wasteful to finish the window with 4 keepers. 

Gegenpress means there are times we will be caught out with balls through the middle isolating our goalkeeper.   Rangers done this a few times at the weekend.  That means we need a goalkeeper that is quick to come out his box and clear.   As much as I like Gordon, I very much doubt he will be able to suit this system.  Periera is especially good at this and is also very good with the ball at his feet.  Gordon is neither.

26 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Indeed.

He's not a Celtic reject though, Lennon wants to keep him.

4 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

Behave yourself -  Gordon is not mediocre 

12 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

He's had a couple of bad injuries and is aging a little; however, 37 is nothing for a goalkeeper. As for being mediocre ... I couldn't disagree more.

Gordon absolutely not mediocre, however, is a 37 year old whose best times are likely behind him, what DS wants for his style of play? 

10 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Gegenpress means there are times we will be caught out with balls through the middle isolating our goalkeeper.   Rangers done this a few times at the weekend.  That means we need a goalkeeper that is quick to come out his box and clear.   As much as I like Gordon, I very much doubt he will be able to suit this system.  Periera is especially good at this and is also very good with the ball at his feet.  Gordon is neither.

It means that our keeper will have to deal with numerous 1 on 1s. So shot stopping and being an actual decent keeper will be the biggest requirement.  Asking the keeper to rush out every time the ball goes over the top is bat shit mental 

12 minutes ago, brux said:

Not sure Gordon is mobile enough to play the sweeper keeper Stendel needs

Pereira hardly plays the Sweeper Keeper. When he does come out of his box, it's usually an error of judgement. Very lucky that he hasn't been left with a red face on occasion. Some of the goals that have went past him have been very, very save-able.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
38 minutes ago, Vlad the impaler said:

Imo Gordon would walk

into tynecastle as clearly the best goalkeeper and I’d welcome it as long as were not paying through the nose. I do worry about him as a sweeper keeper and the way we want to play though as never been the quickest from a standing start🤔

Pros and cons in this one, weigh up his ability to keep the ball out of the net versus his ability to pass the ball 5, 10, 20, 35, 50 yards.

I don't think he will be hard to deal with, he will be rich enough, its about coming home I suspect.

Lucky I have seen the 3 greatest Hearts keepers of all time, very first match I saw Cruicky, since then Niemi and Gordon have been head and shoulders above all of them, though I think its a pity we only got one season out of McLaughlin, he was surprisingly good

Clark Griswold
4 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Him and his pals are FILTH, GTF

Image result for craig gordon celtic"

It's called being a professional and being in a team good enough to win things. Is he just supposed to sit in a corner looking the other way? 

Edited by Clark Griswold
typo

1 minute ago, MCW1976 said:

Pereira hardly plays the Sweeper Keeper. When he does come out of his box, it's usually an error of judgement. Very lucky that he hasn't been left with a red face on occasion. Some of the goals that have went past him have been very, very save-able.

All about opinions, I think Pereira is quite comfortable at that role and does it well

Just now, Clark Griswold said:

It's called being a professional and being in a team good enough to win things. Is he just supposed to sit in a corner looking the other way? 

This

People forget Gordon still pays into FOH and has from the start. 

21 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I said need to wait and see, could be a few surprises 😉

What you mean? Either there's an option to buy in his loan deal or there isn't

Edited by Chimp

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Glad you checked back,  you should never assume what someone is thinking unless they have put it in writing. 

Best if you check back yourself , no assumptions

Just now, Chimp said:

What you mean? Either there's an option to buy in his loan deal or there isn't

No that there is a chance we might get to keep him permanently after his loan, he hasn't exactly ruled out staying at us 👍🇱🇻

1 minute ago, upgotheheads said:

Ironically, Pereira has started to look like a very good keeper, especially as a sweeper.

He’s looked better the last few games but then so has the defence in general. 

joondalupjambo

If Gordon claims to be desparate to come back then offer to sign him for six months with a review in the summer.

That will tell us how desparate he is.