The January Transfer Window Super Thread

dazajmbo

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Uche would definitely be my pick to punt. I just wonder if we’ll cash in on Smith, given his contact situation. Maybe reading too much into it but not being named captain or vice could be telling. Would be a mistake to get rid of him. 

3 minutes ago, jamboj said:

Obviously I don't know what wage Uche is on, but as a player I can see him being attractive to league 1 level teams in England. On that basis shouldn't be too hard to move him on

Uches age and frame I think he will appeal.

Smith is old enough, less potential, and I think we are as good as he gets to be honest. Probably at his peak, probably ready to slowly descend and unlikely to be bought, but I could be wrong.

I like Smith very much, I do want him back at right back, other than a striker I would like a seasoned midfielder in there too, not a conversion, though he is doing well as the sticking plaster

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• GinRummy

• Hearts007

• Bongo 1874

14 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Don't doubt that, but he is going to have to teach him an awful lot still on the art of defending, both strength and positioning are glaring weaknesses.

Technically a very good and skilled footballer moving forwards and on the ball.

I think we will sell Uche, I don't see a place for him in Our Daniels methods, not even short term. Especially if a poacher type is procured

Like most modern fullbacks though defensively weaker than they are going forward.Andy Robertson wasn't the best defensively but is now though seems game time and experience brings that on.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Its mental! "I think we should give Meshino a go cutting in from the left"

"Ha, this plonker thinks Meshino is as good as Hazard"

Maybe this season, he’s scored more goals 😃😆.

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Uches age and frame I think he will appeal.

Smith is old enough, less potential, and I think we are as good as he gets to be honest. Probably at his peak, probably ready to slowly descend and unlikely to be bought, but I could be wrong.

I like Smith very much, I do want him back at right back, other than a striker I would like a seasoned midfielder in there too, not a conversion, though he is doing well as the sticking plaster

Why do you want him back at RB? As you say at his age will he be able to play the way Stendel wants his fullbacks to? He has had a few injury problems too, mainly suffering from cramp in most games (Berra revealed this after St Mirren away), this should be better under the new regime  though.

I think folk are going to have to forget the Sean Clare we saw under CL and get behind his transformation under Stendel, he’s a far better option in an attacking sense and can learn the defensive side of things. He’s now our first choice RB, as Smith is our first choice DM.

9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Why do you want him back at RB? As you say at his age will he be able to play the way Stendel wants his fullbacks to? He has had a few injury problems too, mainly suffering from cramp in most games (Berra revealed this after St Mirren away), this should be better under the new regime  though.

I think folk are going to have to forget the Sean Clare we saw under CL and get behind his transformation under Stendel, he’s a far better option in an attacking sense and can learn the defensive side of things. He’s now our first choice RB, as Smith is our first choice DM.

Absolutely agree. While Smithy is a solid full back, he's had his best games at Center half or Central mid. 

Clare is a better footballer than Smith technically, a better athlete and a better option going forward. Clearly right back suits his attributes. 

6 minutes ago, gov said:

so.....who is next and when is the flight due in??

East Midlands flight has landed.

I have no idea if Boyce is signing or not😀

3 hours ago, brux said:

I hate these mega transfer threads, what's wrong with having a thread for each player so you dont have to search though loads of crap to find the comments on the players you want to read and discuss!!?

In fairness, it’s in the name...

Isn’t called “Very Specific Transfer Thread” is it?

0A421F32-FF7F-4788-A94E-73AB7B93A27F.jpeg

3 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Not if we sign a quality midfield player.

Smith or Clare at right back given the choice?

And I like Clare but we could have better choices soon

Smith for me at right back especially with Souttar and Halkett back. 

Aye hopefully more signings coming in but definetly think Clare has a big part to play in all the changes being implemented by Mr Stendel. 

2 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Aye hopefully more signings coming in but definetly think Clare has a big part to play in all the changes being implemented by Mr Stendel. 

Pressing sides including Liverpool rely a lot of players who can cause danger down the wings.

Clare is a much better option as an attacker than Smith.

And having Souttar back gives much better defensive cover. 

4 minutes ago, ARF1874 said:

In fairness, it’s in the name...

Isn’t called “Very Specific Transfer Thread” is it?

0A421F32-FF7F-4788-A94E-73AB7B93A27F.jpeg

Yes you are correct in your own very condescending way, however when any individually named transfer threads are created they are merged into this super thread.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, kila said:

Agreed, full back should be Clare's position to keep developing in. His build/athleticism and touch bombing down the wing remind me a little of Andy Robertson. Obviously he's a long way to go if he's to be at that level but it is where he should be. Defensively he is getting stuck right in and not shying away from meaty tackles.

Fair doos but jkb at it's best. 

He was shite a few months ago, now he reminds folk of Andy Robertson. 

Not a dig, just highlighting the extremes of JKB. 

I think i8 was closer with the Tavenier comparison. 

Good technique, better going forward, tall, agile athletic but a bit shit tactically and positionally. 

Time will tell, v Rangers it  will be a bigger test as we'll have to defend more but as folk say, maybe Stendel wants a fb that imposes himself attacking wise on the opposition. 

Clare may suit that. 

If he continues his form and gets close to either he'll not only be a good player for us, but an effective one. 

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Good technique, better going forward, tall, agile athletic but a bit shit tactically and positionally. 

Time will tell, v Rangers it  will be a bigger test as we'll have to defend more but as folk say, maybe Stendel wants a fb that imposes himself attacking wise on the opposition. 

Clare may suit that. 

If he continues his form and gets close to either he'll not only be a good player for us, but an effective one. 

When Levein put him at right back against Ross County(?) and he sold a goal I thought ‘he’s never a right back’. He might struggle at Right back against Rangers or Celtic but we’ll find out. Playing well the last couple of games. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

When Levein put him at right back against Ross County(?) and he sold a goal I thought ‘he’s never a right back’. He might struggle at Right back against Rangers or Celtic but we’ll find out. Playing well the last couple of games. 

Same here. I actually said that move was the last nail in the coffin for Levein, and that he had to go after doing something so incredibly stupid. But under Stendel, he is a completely different player and has been outstanding the last couple of games.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

He's clearly a footballer imo, his problem is awareness, positioning and off the ball movement. 

Confidence as well, fans booing him won't have helped. 

I called him a 5 a side player in the end, maybe rb with it's simpler role suits him and yes, v Rangers and the better teams we will see if he's switched on defensively. 

But hopefully, with our new tactics, players, returning players and confidence we are doing the attacking and that will suit Clare. 

Tenaciousdandy
1 minute ago, mc2607 said:

Same here. I actually said that move was the last nail in the coffin for Levein, and that he had to go after doing something so incredibly stupid. But under Stendel, he is a completely different player and has been outstanding the last couple of games.

It's the completely different style of football that is making the difference in Clare and some of the other underperforming players, we are already seeing a shift in the mindset from quickly get the ball away from me attitude to crisp quick passing and movement, can only get better the more stendal implements is upbeat attitude and style on them

32 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

East Midlands flight has landed.

I have no idea if Boyce is signing or not😀

:muggy:

1 hour ago, PaulHartley10 said:

Alexander...left sided centre back!

Had a wee read about his time with Forest as I'm bored. They seemed to be very impressed with him when he first appeared, talk of building their defence around him etc.

For no apparent reason he dropped out of the team and never really re-appeared. They seem to see him as a defender who has a bit of pace and can play a bit as well.

All from http://www.forestforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=47616

Apologies if this has already been covered.

8 minutes ago, King prawn said:

:muggy:

My guess, and this is just a guess, is that Boyce has rejected his contract offer at Burton. The Burton chairman tends not to negotiate due to lack of finance. Very much take it or leave it. Apart from that nobody knows where he will go or if all involved will think it's worth him staying at Burton until the end of the season for a punt at the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, DC_HMFC said:

Had a wee read about his time with Forest as I'm bored. They seemed to be very impressed with him when he first appeared, talk of building their defence around him etc.

For no apparent reason he dropped out of the team and never really re-appeared. They seem to see him as a defender who has a bit of pace and can play a bit as well.

Watched a few videos of him, he's very alike John Souttar but he's about 6ft 4"

11 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Watched a few videos of him, he's very alike John Souttar but he's about 6ft 4"

Just had a watch and can see the similarities between him and Souttar. Also seen the Ozturk like goal from just outside the centre circle. I would be delighted if we signed this guy. I know it's just a youtube video but between that and the glowing references from the Forest fans seems like a good addition.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Smith is too slow on the ball in the middle to be a long term option, nowhere near as fluent as Haring was for example, nor does he having Harings weight of pass or ability to break it up.

He has done well as a stop gap, but I am gobsmacked, given results, people believe these are long term options, I am certain Stendel will not see it that way

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Love to see him more in the final third, where he can  make a difference with better coaching, which he seems to be getting. Never a defender and never will be.

PaulHartley10
8 minutes ago, DC_HMFC said:

Just had a watch and can see the similarities between him and Souttar. Also seen the Ozturk like goal from just outside the centre circle. I would be delighted if we signed this guy. I know it's just a youtube video but between that and the glowing references from the Forest fans seems like a good addition.

Was at Hannover with Stendel...left sided centre back...swedish international...probably require Berra type wages...released on 28th October last year and no club has picked him up.

Hoping Stendel might be keeping him waiting but probably just 2+2=5.

37 minutes ago, DC_HMFC said:

Have you read that thread from page 23 onwards ? And we think we’ve got bampots on our forum :lol: .. something else on there. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
55 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Clare may suit that. 

Absolutely.

I'm going to stress, I like Clare, I have not bashed him when others have. But defensively he is weak, and defenders, well its a prime consideration, like goalkeepers, there primary job is keeping the ball out.

Totally get the modern game, playing out etc, but you still have to have the fundmental skills for the role you are playing, Clares instinct is not to defend.

Ironically, just prior to his goal, he was getting absolute pelters from Stendel.

2 minutes ago, King prawn said:

Have you read that thread from page 23 onwards ? And we think we’ve got bampots on our forum :lol: .. something else on there. 

😄 Yeah it did take a bit of a turn, especially the tweets.

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Clare may suit that. 

He is becoming an attacking fullback of course he is nowhere near as good as Robertson but it's easy for folk to explain that he kind of plays like a young Robertson did although again not as good.Robertson has come on leaps and bounds especially defensively and is pretty much the complete fullback now but he wasn't always.

It's pretty obvious folk are not making a direct comparison.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

He is becoming an attacking fullback of course he is nowhere near as good as Robertson but it's easy for folk to explain that he kind of plays like a young Robertson did although again not as good.Robertson has come on leaps and bounds especially defensively and is pretty much the complete fullback now but he wasn't always.

It's pretty obvious folk are not making a direct comparison.

It is, I was more highlighting the extremes. 

He was shite, needed punted etc now he's being compared to Robertson, relative to his progress obviously. 

All that within a month. 🤔

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

He's clearly a footballer imo, his problem is awareness, positioning and off the ball movement. 

Confidence as well, fans booing him won't have helped. 

I called him a 5 a side player in the end, maybe rb with it's simpler role suits him and yes, v Rangers and the better teams we will see if he's switched on defensively. 

But hopefully, with our new tactics, players, returning players and confidence we are doing the attacking and that will suit Clare. 

I think part of the change is

under Levein, he (occasionally) tanked up the park, lifted his head and pretty much nothing to aim for. Looked back and a big space where he should be defending. All breaks down. Doesn’t get back to fill his position. Pelters from the crowd. 
under Stendel, everyone is looking for the ball so more options. Smith etc slot in to cover the defender’s position. Much more comfortable position for a player to lift his head and do better. 

Pasquale for King
38 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Smith is too slow on the ball in the middle to be a long term option, nowhere near as fluent as Haring was for example, nor does he having Harings weight of pass or ability to break it up.

He has done well as a stop gap, but I am gobsmacked, given results, people believe these are long term options, I am certain Stendel will not see it that way

I didn’t say it was long term, the fact remains that Clare is more suited to the RB role than Smith is, and Smith is better suited to DM than anyone we currently have fit. Stendel chose them to play there so he obviously feels it’s the solution for now.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

I didn’t say it was long term, the fact remains that Clare is more suited to the RB role than Smith is, and Smith is better suited to DM than anyone we currently have fit. Stendel chose them to play there so he obviously feels it’s the solution for now.

I'd agree, but will wait on results and more games before judging longer term. 

Too many on here to hastily judge folk either way. 

A bad game or two and many will reverse completely again

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Is that not down mainly to Whelan being deemed unsuitable?

Brandon was right back against Celtic until injured, Clare came on and suddenly we were torn apart for half an hour.

Clare has kept his place, initially by default and then by growing a bit more into the role.

Stendel is at him, and often. I don't believe its the fairytale people seem to be making of it. I am chuffed for him, he has won over a lot of people, but it wont last when he is found out again, and he will be, because he isn't a defender. I don't want that for the boy, his effort deserves better.

Other options are Brandon, Hickey and Garuccio at left back, clearly Garuccio needs some games, rusty as an old gate on Saturday.

Brandon was looking much better, the shape of the team is clearly helping the full backs

43 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Weight of pass? Harings a cracking player with high energy, breaking up the play, winning the ball back and an aerial threat but his passing is simple and more often than not safe. A lot of the time when he is on the ball he looks like a centre half in midfield. Great player but absence is making your heart grow fonder with regards to his passing abilities!

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

I'd agree, but will wait on results and more games before judging longer term. 

Too many on here to hastily judge folk either way. 

A bad game or two and many will reverse completely again

I think most non frothers saw something in Clare, and acknowledged that moving him around constantly didn’t help him. He will need to learn the defensive side of the game, he and a couple of others naivety cost us two points with his red card against Aberdeen yet was clapped off the pitch. I think he’s now a fans favourite because he’s being coached properly now, the psychologist is helping too. Maybe the whole squad should be seeing one?

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

I think most non frothers saw something in Clare, and acknowledged that moving him around constantly didn’t help him. He will need to learn the defensive side of the game, he and a couple of others naivety cost us two points with his red card against Aberdeen yet was clapped off the pitch. I think he’s now a fans favourite because he’s being coached properly now, the psychologist is helping too. Maybe the whole squad should be seeing one?

And some fans. 

😂😂😂

27 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It is, I was more highlighting the extremes. 

He was shite, needed punted etc now he's being compared to Robertson, relative to his progress obviously. 

All that within a month. 🤔

Yeah I'm guilty of that I must admit I thought he was a lost case.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Is that not down mainly to Whelan being deemed unsuitable?

Brandon was right back against Celtic until injured, Clare came on and suddenly we were torn apart for half an hour.

Clare has kept his place, initially by default and then by growing a bit more into the role.

Stendel is at him, and often. I don't believe its the fairytale people seem to be making of it. I am chuffed for him, he has won over a lot of people, but it wont last when he is found out again, and he will be, because he isn't a defender. I don't want that for the boy, his effort deserves better.

Other options are Brandon, Hickey and Garuccio at left back, clearly Garuccio needs some games, rusty as an old gate on Saturday.

Brandon was looking much better, the shape of the team is clearly helping the full backs

I agree about Brandon but he’s not exactly a fans favourite either, both he and Clare are better attacking options than Smith is. Not sure who will play tomorrow though. As I’ve said Clare will need to work on his defensive duties, that’s not that difficult to learn really. I don’t think we’re going to be that solid defensively until we get the players Stendel needs so Clare might well be the best option until the summer anyway, we need other areas to be strengthened, 

Smith is obviously more suited than Whelan and trains everyday when fit too.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

And some fans. 

😂😂😂

Absolutely, especially these last few years 😜🤪.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, BehindYou said:

Random but I see Celtic are going for Liam Donnelly of Motherwell, the guy who we turned down for being "too small" :facepalm:

Most of the guys our NI chief scout turns down and deemed to wee are from a certain demographic too 🤷🏾‍♂️🤔🙏

allegedly 

10 minutes ago, BehindYou said:

Random but I see Celtic are going for Liam Donnelly of Motherwell, the guy who we turned down for being "too small" :facepalm:

5ft 11..small ? 

9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Most of the guys our NI chief scout turns down and deemed to wee are from a certain demographic too 🤷🏾‍♂️🤔🙏

allegedly 

Macphee wasn’t at the club when we didn’t offer him a contract?  Neilson/Levein made the decision. 

2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Macphee wasn’t at the club when we didn’t offer him a contract?  Neilson/Levein made the decision. 

It's not MacPhee he's on about. MacPhee is Scottish.

Edited by hmfc_liam06