The January Transfer Window Super Thread

dazajmbo

Ronald Villiers
3 minutes ago, sandylejambo said:

Ask your friend if he's any good

I did Sandy.  He's not a Barnsley supporter but heard through one at work about us apparently being linked with a move for him.  He's been asked to report back.  

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• GinRummy

• Hearts007

• Bongo 1874

10 minutes ago, Ronald Villiers said:

I did Sandy.  He's not a Barnsley supporter but heard through one at work about us apparently being linked with a move for him.  He's been asked to report back.  

Thanks RV

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Controversial opinion perhaps but I believe Smith‘s best games in central defence and midfield are better than his best at right back. I think with his age a more central position is more suited to him and his reading of the game. Think Lahm at Bayern a few years back.

Definitely.

rudi must stay
17 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Definitely.

Yes he's just as good as Philip Lahm, one of the best players I've ever seen and I would say there has ever been technically.. I think he's equally as good in both, he is a good footballer with the perfect temperament for the Scottish Game. He is a hard worker, I do like him more at Centre Midfielder myself as I think he could get you a few goals as season in that position, which is always good

J.T.F.Robertson

I'm not fussed about "names", just want players who can be relied upon to actually give a shit.

It's what the likes of Hamilton, et al have over us, which is testament to what we've become.

6 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

I do wonder why players give a shit about Hamilton 

So do I.  I'm afraid we can only put it down to the former regime here to explain why we haven't been able to match it.

I'm certain the players coming in will have a strong work ethic as one of their attributes.

That-Day-In-May
37 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Yes he's just as good as Philip Lahm, one of the best players I've ever seen and I would say there has ever been technically.. I think he's equally as good in both, he is a good footballer with the perfect temperament for the Scottish Game. He is a hard worker, I do like him more at Centre Midfielder myself as I think he could get you a few goals as season in that position, which is always good

I adore Smith, but you’re surely not saying he’s just as good as Philip Lahm? The guy captained Germany and Bayern when they won for trophies for fun

57 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Put the drink down.

rudi must stay
1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

Put the drink down.

Sorry. I should have put SARCASM in big letters with balloons round it. Come on guys 

Edited by rudi must stay

If anyone saw my “think Lahm at Bayern” comment and thought I was genuinely comparing the two players as opposed to making a point about players adapting position when getting older, then well frankly you’re a lost cause.

My point is let’s not move Smith from where he’s been so effective unless we have to (like needing him at RB due to suspension like tomorrow or injury) Sean Clare being MOTM or MOTM contender from the Celtic game onwards means he should be nowhere near being dropped. So Clare at RWB and Smith at defensive midfield should be two of the first picks.

Holyrood_Hearts
7 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Controversial opinion perhaps but I believe Smith‘s best games in central defence and midfield are better than his best at right back. I think with his age a more central position is more suited to him and his reading of the game. Think Lahm at Bayern a few years back.

I completely agree with you. He’s been superb in both positions for us 

8 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Radlinger was only signed in the summer,  can't believe he would only be on a year. 

No danger Barnsley would deal. 

Colt will find us 2 keepers in the summer,  the jugglers will all be gone 

Hes only on a year because his wife had just had a baby. I think the plan was for him to get Collins up to speed with the way Daniel wanted his  goalies to play. Think he ll go back to Germany in the summer.

Love Mikey Smith but he's not on a par with Philip Lahm 😂 

Lahm was one of the best full backs in the history of the game ffs 

37 minutes ago, Homme said:

Love Mikey Smith but he's not on a par with Philip Lahm 😂 

Lahm was one of the best full backs in the history of the game ffs 

I believe only one poster suggested he was and they’ve explained they were being sarcastic. I’m the one who originally mentioned Lahm but that was a reference to players changing position later in their career due to fitness and game reading ability - NOT a direct comparison of the two players. Just in case it wasn’t already obvious.

I hate these mega transfer threads, what's wrong with having a thread for each player so you dont have to search though loads of crap to find the comments on the players you want to read and discuss!!?

4 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

Soooo Radlinger's better half I see, doesnt exactly rely on him for her exposure, so to speak 😋

Careful now 

4 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

If anyone saw my “think Lahm at Bayern” comment and thought I was genuinely comparing the two players as opposed to making a point about players adapting position when getting older, then well frankly you’re a lost cause.

My point is let’s not move Smith from where he’s been so effective unless we have to (like needing him at RB due to suspension like tomorrow or injury) Sean Clare being MOTM or MOTM contender from the Celtic game onwards means he should be nowhere near being dropped. So Clare at RWB and Smith at defensive midfield should be two of the first picks.

Its mental! "I think we should give Meshino a go cutting in from the left"

"Ha, this plonker thinks Meshino is as good as Hazard"

11 minutes ago, brux said:

I hate these mega transfer threads, what's wrong with having a thread for each player so you dont have to search though loads of crap to find the comments on the players you want to read and discuss!!?

Got to agree with you! 156 pages and only 1 signing! ... been seeing some comments about Hamilton and I cannae be bothered going back through recent comments to find out if we’re talking about the team or some target called Hamilton ! 😂

Lord Beni of Gorgie
8 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Bit harsh considering he has been excellent in the last few games. 

Also think now his confidence is up we might see a lot more from Clare. 

Not if we sign a quality midfield player.

Smith or Clare at right back given the choice?

And I like Clare but we could have better choices soon

Lord Beni of Gorgie
8 hours ago, DalryJambo said:

Stop moaning, if he’d been given a 3 year+ deal you’d be complaining it’s a costly risk. 

Let’s hope he scores 15-20 before the end of the season, helps us stay up and signs on for longer as he loves the place.  

Alternatively if he has better options he moves on elsewhere with our blessing having hopefully helped save our season. 

More frustration than moaning type post of where we are at

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, That-Day-In-May said:

I adore Smith, but you’re surely not saying he’s just as good as Philip Lahm? The guy captained Germany and Bayern when they won for trophies for fun

Clearly means relative to our level.... 

That's how I read it. 

9 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Clearly means relative to our level.... 

That's how I read it. 

You’d think it was clear.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

You’d think it was clear.

I meant to quote you rather than rudi. 

Yeah, I got that. 

Post made perfect sense. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

5 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I get your point mate it's not a Lahm thing it seems it's the  German way

15 hours ago, karipidis said:

6 month deal suits both parties.

If we get relegated he Is free to go.

if he’s a disaster (Very hopeful he won’t be) we can let him go rather than be tied down unlike previous signings.

if It goes well for club and player then we can extend stay. 

... then some other club will be able to get him for free in the summer...!

I sincerely hope we have first refusal or there's an agreement that he signs for a longer term if the club want?

3 minutes ago, BRY said:

I sincerely hope we have first refusal or there's an agreement that he signs for a longer term if the club want?

Some sort of option if we stay up hopefully is in place. 

With Rangers and Celtic games coming up soon he could be a hot prospect quickly. 

7 hours ago, Jammy T said:

I do wonder why players give a shit about Hamilton 

Maybe they've got money on the result?!

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I believe only one poster suggested he was and they’ve explained they were being sarcastic. I’m the one who originally mentioned Lahm but that was a reference to players changing position later in their career due to fitness and game reading ability - NOT a direct comparison of the two players. Just in case it wasn’t already obvious.

It was clear what meant. I agree as well. 👍

19 minutes ago, BRY said:

If he keeps us in the league and moves on again in the summer then so be it. It'll have been worth it.

24 minutes ago, BRY said:

It’d be sad if he ended up elsewhere, but that would only happen if he’s played well for us and scoring goals. If that happens we’ll more than likely stay up and possibly even better. 

9 hours ago, wavydavy said:

I think a number of Barnsley players are being linked with us.

Thiam, Radlinger etc.

Bahre and Radlinger would be excellent. Two of the three standouts at the game I attended recently along with Jacob Brown

Jack Torrance

Welcome Donis!

On a random side note, his shirt number made me think of the tune 99 Red Balloons. I remember our German teacher making us learn the original version when it came out.

9 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Bahre and Radlinger would be excellent. Two of the three standouts at the game I attended recently along with Jacob Brown

I'm sure i remember the Barnsley fans on here saying that Bahre was useless?

44 minutes ago, BRY said:

I doubt he woul dhave joined a club where there was a serious chance of playing in Scotland's 2nd tier next season.

Our priority is staying up. If this guy can help us do that then he leaves with our blessing. We then regroup in the summer, safe in the knowledge that DS is capable of recruiting players to push us on.

5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I doubt he woul dhave joined a club where there was a serious chance of playing in Scotland's 2nd tier next season.

Our priority is staying up. If this guy can help us do that then he leaves with our blessing. We then regroup in the summer, safe in the knowledge that DS is capable of recruiting players to push us on.

Spot on. Never know he could be a Craig Beattie type 9 game 'legend'*

*hopefully plays more than 9 games!

Lord Beni of Gorgie
18 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

Welcome Donis!

On a random side note, his shirt number made me think of the tune 99 Red Balloons. I remember our German teacher making us learn the original version when it came out.

Wasn't a bloke called Dalziel from Airdrie of all places was it? Wonder if he was there on Saturday

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

There clearly must be an emotional tie between Donis and DS... otherwise, why would someone of his pedigree/talent (?) come to a team that could possibly be relegated.

I would hope (if he helps get us up the league) that DS would have the sway to advise him against any advances the ugly sisters would make... and the the bench warming that would follow.

If English clubs come calling - that may be a different story.

But I agree with others, if he helps keeps us up, then I would be hard pushed not to let him go with my blessing. Hopefully DSs relationship with him will count for something and we can get a successful couple of seasons out of him! 🤞

millerjames398
1 minute ago, PaulHartley10 said:

I still think we're waiting on Berra being punted before we announce Milosevic.

Milosivic? This has been an epic thread, so i might have missed that name, got a 1st name so i can google his name?😂🇱🇻

PaulHartley10
2 minutes ago, millerjames398 said:

Milosivic? This has been an epic thread, so i might have missed that name, got a 1st name so i can google his name?😂🇱🇻

Alexander...left sided centre back!

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Not if we sign a quality midfield player.

Smith or Clare at right back given the choice?

And I like Clare but we could have better choices soon

Good point. Still think we’ll sell one more this window. If it’s not Hickey then will be one of Smith or Uche as they are the only ones I think we’ll get cash for.  So we might see Clare RB for a while. 

I think clare will be hearts RB from now on. seems comfortable there knowing he is allowed to take chances going forward because the way manager wants to play. Clare has been outstanding the last few games. could always tell there was a player there but was void of confidence 

6 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I actually think Clare is what Stendel is looking for in his fullback to he honest.

Agreed, full back should be Clare's position to keep developing in. His build/athleticism and touch bombing down the wing remind me a little of Andy Robertson. Obviously he's a long way to go if he's to be at that level but it is where he should be. Defensively he is getting stuck right in and not shying away from meaty tackles.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I actually think Clare is what Stendel is looking for in his fullback to he honest.

Don't doubt that, but he is going to have to teach him an awful lot still on the art of defending, both strength and positioning are glaring weaknesses.

Technically a very good and skilled footballer moving forwards and on the ball.

14 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Good point. Still think we’ll sell one more this window. If it’s not Hickey then will be one of Smith or Uche as they are the only ones I think we’ll get cash for.  So we might see Clare RB for a while. 

I think we will sell Uche, I don't see a place for him in Our Daniels methods, not even short term. Especially if a poacher type is procured

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

I think we will sell Uche, I don't see a place for him in Our Daniels methods, not even short term. Especially if a poacher type is procured

Uche would definitely be my pick to punt. I just wonder if we’ll cash in on Smith, given his contact situation. Maybe reading too much into it but not being named captain or vice could be telling. Would be a mistake to get rid of him. 

4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Don't doubt that, but he is going to have to teach him an awful lot still on the art of defending, both strength and positioning are glaring weaknesses.

Technically a very good and skilled footballer moving forwards and on the ball.

Obviously I don't know what wage Uche is on, but as a player I can see him being attractive to league 1 level teams in England. On that basis shouldn't be too hard to move him on

Pasquale for King
10 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

The comparison with Lahm concerns his ability to play in different positions equally as well, unfortunately Smith can’t pass or cross the ball nearly as well or shoot either. I prefer him in midfield where he plays on the front foot as opposed to in defence where he plays on the back foot, backing off into his box like he’s playing against Messi. Emojis are your friend when being sarcastic 😜.

Edited by Pasquale for King