Has Stendel lost the dressing room?

Satchmo

Guest ToqueJambo
10 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Unfortunately it’s not just on here. I follow a couple Hearts fans pages on Facebook & they are the exact same. We have some absolute idiots in our support that appear to know **** all on anything football wise. 

We've always had idiots and moaners but since admin it's gone to a new level. Looking at the likely ages of most of them, is it possible that when Rangers were in worse trouble than us, a bunch of younger fans who otherwise might have followed Rangers latched on to us and now we're stuck with them? Plenty football fans in Edinburgh and across Scotland chose the OF over their local clubs, but only when they're successful. When it looked like Rangers were history or at least when they stopped having any chance of winning anything, we may have suddenly become attractive to the type who would normally go with Rangers. I can't see any other explanation for the timing of it.

The plane thing for example was classic Rangers fan type entitlement, as is some of the reactions during games, even under Neilson. Like we're supposed to win every game at a canter. Although there seem to be some older fans in this group obviously to be able to get hold of a plane!

Edited by ToqueJambo

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• kingantti1874

• Jambo-Fox

• Enzo Chiefo

He’ll be sussing the 1st team squad game by game & will have an idea by now who he thinks has the stomach & ability to tough this out & will be retained.

There will be some who are buying into him because he’s the manager & affording him that respect(which he deserves for now) 

There will be others who are unsure & not quite fully on board yet with regards his methods/communication/instructions. The remainder probably know he has their cards marked & they’ll be punted at the first opportunity.

Holyrood_Hearts
18 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

We've always had idiots and moaners but since admin it's gone to a new level. Looking at the likely ages of most of them, is it possible that when Rangers were in worse trouble than us, a bunch of younger fans who otherwise might have followed Rangers latched on to us and now we're stuck with them? Plenty football fans in Edinburgh and across Scotland chose the OF over their local clubs, but only when they're successful. When it looked like Rangers were history or at least when they stopped having any chance of winning anything, we may have suddenly become attractive to the type who would normally go with Rangers. I can't see any other explanation for the timing of it.

The plane thing for example was classic Rangers fan type entitlement, as is some of the reactions during games, even under Neilson. Like we're supposed to win every game at a canter. Although there seem to be some older fans in this group obviously to be able to get hold of a plane!

To be honest I don’t think it had anything to do with Rangers. Cracks started to appear when a certain section of the support chased RN out the door for that cup tie & from there things have snowballed. 

36 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

He changed the playing style midcseason, though. How long he has been at the club is irrelevant.  

Is it? I’d say knowing all the players, the club and the league would be extremely beneficial if one wishes to dramatically change playing style!

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Is it? I’d say knowing all the players, the club and the league would be extremely beneficial if one wishes to dramatically change playing style!

I don't think it's that complicated.

His first priority is to change from 5h1te to not 5h1te. 

1 minute ago, upgotheheads said:

I don't think it's that complicated.

His first priority is to change from 5h1te to not 5h1te. 

Well so far we’ve gone from 6th place bang average and Hampden regulars, to bottom of the league relegation candidates!

Guest ToqueJambo
21 minutes ago, sac said:

He’ll be sussing the 1st team squad game by game & will have an idea by now who he thinks has the stomach & ability to tough this out & will be retained.

There will be some who are buying into him because he’s the manager & affording him that respect(which he deserves for now) 

There will be others who are unsure & not quite fully on board yet with regards his methods/communication/instructions. The remainder probably know he has their cards marked & they’ll be punted at the first opportunity.

You'd hope all the experienced players (age 27 or so and over) at minimum would fall into this category as they've been in this situation before. The younger or most recently signed players will be more likely to be in the middle category. 

Mclean, Berra (sadly), all the goalies and Dikamona must be on shoogly pegs. I want to say Bozanic but he played OK in the derby, but Stendel went with younger players at Barnsley. They're all very replaceable anyhow. Clare, Wighton, Mulraney and the younger players should be looking on this as a fresh start. They're all still young enough and cheap enough to be replaced as first team players in the short-term but still have a future if we think we can still develop them.

Vacancies for: Goalie, winger, forward (x 2 Naismith and Washington injury depending), and a DM if Whelan is away.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Well so far we’ve gone from 6th place bang average and Hampden regulars, to bottom of the league relegation candidates!

Correct, but that's down to Levein not Stendel.

Guest ToqueJambo

Is this the first "Bring back Levein" shout 😂 I'm more worried about relegation under Stendel than I was under Levein tbh, mostly because of how new everything is for him and there's just no honeymoon period at Hearts for anyone anymore. Levein obviously wasn't taking us anywhere, but you knew he'd get us up for certain games at minimum and he'd certainly have had us winning at least the derby from the last few games. A caretaker like JJ to the end of the season wouldn't have been the worst shout.

Anyhow, I'm all aboard the Stendel train now though. He seems the kind of appointment we should have made when Levein got the job. We're due a break, not of the joint variety. Surely Daniel will get one soon, like a clean bill of health for someone like Naismith.

9 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Very selective, we were second bottom when he was hired having won 2 home games since March.

As I've said numerous times, until he gets his coaching staff in, and until the previous coaching team are gone, it's a farcical situation almost without precedent.

6 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Very selective, we were second bottom when he was hired having won 2 home games since March.

As I've said numerous times, until he gets his coaching staff in, and until the previous coaching team are gone, it's a farcical situation almost without precedent.

According to the Levein FC fans, it is not important or even an issue wether Stendel can get his own men in and the old regime out. They can't see a problem.

Just now, Gambo said:

According to the Levein FC fans, it is not important or even an issue wether Stendel can get his own men in and the old regime out. They can't see a problem.

I agree Gambo, Martin T is being selective at best and naive at worst. 

If we work with the analogy of 'when the rot set in' - well clearly the previous landlord would compare more favourably to the current one. You would have to be a total twat to compare past with present and ignore the  source of terminal decline. 

#stendelforthewin

12 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

You'd hope all the experienced players (age 27 or so and over) at minimum would fall into this category as they've been in this situation before. The younger or most recently signed players will be more likely to be in the middle category. 

Mclean, Berra (sadly), all the goalies and Dikamona must be on shoogly pegs. I want to say Bozanic but he played OK in the derby, but Stendel went with younger players at Barnsley. They're all very replaceable anyhow. Clare, Wighton, Mulraney and the younger players should be looking on this as a fresh start. They're all still young enough and cheap enough to be replaced as first team players in the short-term but still have a future if we think we can still develop them.

Vacancies for: Goalie, winger, forward (x 2 Naismith and Washington injury depending), and a DM if Whelan is away.

sure I read that this wasn't so much by design as having had his best players sold from underneath him... think that experience will be handy though.

13 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Correct, but that's down to Levein not Stendel.

How much time did we spend bottom of the league under Levein?

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Gambo said:

I agree about Stendel needing his own team. All managers do. But the old regime is out isn't it? Stendel brought in Kirk, who had nothing to do with the first team, to help him. Leven and McPhee have nothing to do with the day to day first team.

7 minutes ago, Deodato said:

If we work with the analogy of 'when the rot set in' - well clearly the previous landlord would compare more favourably to the current one. You would have to be a total twat to compare past with present and ignore the  source of terminal decline. 

#stendelforthewin

I was agreeing with MT tbh..

5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I agree about Stendel needing his own team. All managers do. But the old regime is out isn't it? Stendel brought in Kirk, who had nothing to do with the first team, to help him. Leven and McPhee have nothing to do with the day to day first team.

Are they 'out' though? Still hanging around andpoked there nose in (allegedly)whilst he was in Germany.

pettigrewsstylist

Are they 'out' though? Still hanging around andpoked there nose in (allegedly)whilst he was in Germany.

Do tell Gambo?

Guest ToqueJambo
19 minutes ago, Deodato said:

If we work with the analogy of 'when the rot set in' - well clearly the previous landlord would compare more favourably to the current one. You would have to be a total twat to compare past with present and ignore the  source of terminal decline

#stendelforthewin

terminal decline? What do you know that we don't?

It's wrong to lay everything at the door of Levein even though I get some folk seem to absolutely hate him. The decline started when Neilson left (something many Hearts fans seemed to want for bizarre reasons) and, yes, Levein's decision to bring Cathro in at the time was wrong. Major black mark #1 against him. Yes, with hindsight, Levein was the wrong appointment by Budge. Black mark #1 against her, or #2 against Levein if it was his idea. 

However he actually did what was needed in the season after Cathro was sacked. He steadied the ship that season, made us very hard to beat at Tynecastle and got us winning in derbies and cup ties again. Then he revamped the squad completely in the summer and had us top of the league in October. The real source of our decline since then has been 100% a combination of the unprecedented injuries to key players and Levein's inability to motivate and manage the replacements effectively enough, as well as taking risks it seems with putting players back in the team too soon after injury. Black mark #2/3 for him and he never redeemed himself. As that injury crisis has been unprecedented in my memory, it's not hard to see how he might have struggled with it though. Any manager would.

People have a go at his recruitment as our manager but, considering he needed to do two major overhauls in quick succession he ended up building a very good looking team before the injuries decimated it. And this season the recruitment looked spot on for what we needed, but again half or more of those recruits got injured. The criticism in his recruitment should be - did he recruit adequate back-up players? It seems not, but if you look at any of our squads the last 30 odd years when did we ever have adequate back-up players to cover for the injury list we've had? We'd have been screwed in previous good seasons - 85/86 and 97/98 for example without half a team of first team picks for extended periods, never mind in previous average seasons.

I'm not saying he should still be our manager, but if you review his time objectively he's had some tough breaks and challenges, Fair enough, he did fail to overcome them and got the sack as a result.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, Gambo said:

No idea, and don't care anymore. Stendel is an adult. He should be able to handle someone in the workplace he doesn't want there, if that's the case.

No idea, and don't care anymore. Stendel is an adult. He should be able to handle someone in the workplace he doesn't want there, if that's the case.

I do carethat the failed regime are still hanging around, that is not right.

I do think that Stendel can handle it, can Budge back him up though?

Was delighted when he was appointed but he needs to get finger I know circumstances are not good at this time but so far he has shown little bar excuses 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Gambo said:

I do carethat the failed regime are still hanging around, that is not right.

I do think that Stendel can handle it, can Budge back him up though?

I'm pretty sure Stendel will get everything he asks for within our budget, especially considering the trouble we're in now.

I'm pretty sure Stendel will get everything he asks for within our budget, especially considering the trouble we're in now.

Hopefully he will.

But will Levein be able to be completely removed from club should Stendel wish that?

4 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Realistically there will not be a massive change in the squad in January. It would take him most most likely 3+ transfer windows to completely transform this squad. With the squad we have we will either stay up or go down but .....

...... If a Jim Jeffries / Garry Locke combo were in charge of this squad it would be good enough to stay up!

Your last comment is just opinion which is fair enough however; We dont have GL or JJ, we have Stendel. Lets get behind him and give him a chance eh?

1 hour ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

To be honest I don’t think it had anything to do with Rangers. Cracks started to appear when a certain section of the support chased RN out the door for that cup tie & from there things have snowballed. 

Neilson left as quick ax he could and that was not down to the fans. If it was that CL/AB would have fought to keep him.

He could see, like quite a few fans, what was happening and got out as quick as he could.

Neilson left as quick ax he could and that was not down to the fans. If it was that CL/AB would have fought to keep him.

He could see, like quite a few fans, what was happening and got out as quick as he could.

Neilson's not a daft laddie so there may be some substance to this.

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Gambo said:

What was happening back then out of interest? We were in the run for Euro qualification twice in a row which almost never happened, and Neilson had been promised funds for January. Neilson has repeatedly said he had other offers but thought the MKD job would be good for him, much like I'm sure Ross thought the Sunderland job would be good for his career. He also said he wished he had a DoF at MKD and now has one at D Utd. 

51 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's wrong to lay everything at the door of Levein even though I get some folk seem to absolutely hate him. The decline started when Neilson left (something many Hearts fans seemed to want for bizarre reasons) and, yes, Levein's decision to bring Cathro in at the time was wrong. Major black mark #1 against him. Yes, with hindsight, Levein was the wrong appointment by Budge. Black mark #1 against her, or #2 against Levein if it was his idea. 

However he actually did what was needed in the season after Cathro was sacked. He steadied the ship that season, made us very hard to beat at Tynecastle and got us winning in derbies and cup ties again. Then he revamped the squad completely in the summer and had us top of the league in October. The real source of our decline since then has been 100% a combination of the unprecedented injuries to key players and Levein's inability to motivate and manage the replacements effectively enough, as well as taking risks it seems with putting players back in the team too soon after injury. Black mark #2/3 for him and he never redeemed himself. As that injury crisis has been unprecedented in my memory, it's not hard to see how he might have struggled with it though. Any manager would.

People have a go at his recruitment as our manager but, considering he needed to do two major overhauls in quick succession he ended up building a very good looking team before the injuries decimated it. And this season the recruitment looked spot on for what we needed, but again half or more of those recruits got injured. The criticism in his recruitment should be - did he recruit adequate back-up players? It seems not, but if you look at any of our squads the last 30 odd years when did we ever have adequate back-up players to cover for the injury list we've had? We'd have been screwed in previous good seasons - 85/86 and 97/98 for example without half a team of first team picks for extended periods, never mind in previous average seasons.

I'm not saying he should still be our manager, but if you review his time objectively he's had some tough breaks and challenges, Fair enough, he did fail to overcome them and got the sack as a result.

Great post, absolutely not all Levein's fault as it would appear the majority on here believe. Not in the so called 'Levein FC' team - he should have gone at the end of last season. We need to move on.

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Perhaps we should have appointed him, as I, and others, suggested.

Edited by Enzo Chiefo

Captain Canada

This quote from Stendel says it all: 

"For me, this is a new moment and I can only say I like to improve myself and I will do it. What I need are players who want to do it also."

2 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

I believe we have the correct manager.

I believe he will bring in some players

I believe he will drop some

I believe he will promote some

I believe he will improve some

I believe we will stay up

With THIS squad we won’t. There are too many cowards, weaklings, injured unfit players and too many simply not up for the fight that will be required or with the ability to help

Keep believing;

I believe for every drop of rain that falls
A flower grows
I believe that somewhere in the darkest night
A candle glows
I believe for everyone who goes astray, someone will come
To show the way
I believe, I believe

I believe that we are staying up ... I said we are staying up, we are staying up!

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Stendel has much more about him than Robinson, and has more experience than Robinson had when he took over from Mark McGhee at Well. Time will show that once Stendel gets his own thing going.

That's two clubs - us and Hibs - who have overlooked Robinson and in fact never even spoke to him. The papers were full of how in demand he was with us and for the NI job. Will he even get that? This is Tommy Wright all over again.

7 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Robinson? I think he might be our next manager once this experiment is over ...

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

Got to love the Record:

"Glenn Whelan set for Hearts axe as Daniel Stendel hits out at lack of leadership"

Didn't say he's for the axe.

"Daniel Stendel has criticised Glenn Whelan claiming he has no leadership qualities for Hearts."

He didn't say that either.

In other news, the Record also did a story on Stendel's shoes. Dicks.

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Not gonna lie, I’ve never thought of it this way before and it’s blown my mind a bit. What you say actually makes perfect sense. Plenty of folk I knew growing up were Rangers fans but they ‘picked’ them as family to that point not big football fans. People in a similar position circa 2012 onwards would likely make a different choice. Excellent observation.

It should have been ten
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Top post, well put 👍🏼

6 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Experiment? Your so much dying for "I told you, so"

This most likely will be a short tenure. He could be successful, drawing offers from England.

Or could fail and walk or be binned.

So far, there are too many obstacles being placed in his path to allow him to be successful. 

AB needs to remove the two obvious ones immediately. The ones responsible for the shambles.

21 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

If you mean experiment as in ...get the players out of their comfort zone and have a European manager who doesn't s**t their breeks when we go to Glasgow , then I'm all for experiments. "Ambitious" is probably the adjective you are looking for.

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

If you mean experiment as in ...get the players out of their comfort zone and have a European manager who doesn't s**t their breeks when we go to Glasgow , then I'm all for experiments. "Ambitious" is probably the adjective you are looking for.

He’s shat his pants from St Johnstone and Hamilton. Can’t wait for Rangers and Celtic to get a hold of us in Glasgow.

27 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Stendel has much more about him than Robinson, and has more experience than Robinson had when he took over from Mark McGhee at Well. Time will show that once Stendel gets his own thing going.

That's two clubs - us and Hibs - who have overlooked Robinson and in fact never even spoke to him. The papers were full of how in demand he was with us and for the NI job. Will he even get that? This is Tommy Wright all over again.

I agree and I am fully supportive of the decision to appoint Stendel.. I hope you are correct that he will get things going. He will meet resistance from all quarters but I'm convinced he will prove a shrewd appointment. 

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Experiment? Your so much dying for "I told you, so"

This most likely will be a short tenure. He could be successful, drawing offers from England.

Or could fail and walk or be binned.

So far, there are too many obstacles being placed in his path to allow him to be successful. 

AB needs to remove the two obvious ones immediately. The ones responsible for the shambles.

I think only those of us who backed Neilson can say "told you so." He was successful and an above average manager for us, despite what some would have us believe. People can say "told you" Levein should never have been appointed but we don't know how another manager would have done. We know Neilson did well, though.

Levein on the other hand deserved to go for the last season and a half he delivered (even with the injuries being a decent excuse). The only arguments are around whether he should have gone sooner or even got the job in the first place. No-one can have any "told you so" moment over Levein as there were zero signs he could have us playing well again without another major team revamp. And he'd had all his chances at doing that as he was always away in the summer anyhow. It's someone else's turn to have a go now.

He’s shat his pants from St Johnstone and Hamilton. Can’t wait for Rangers and Celtic to get a hold of us in Glasgow.

Unless that is drink talking on your part, I can't debate with you.  How EXACTLY has Stendel shat his pants against anyone. The ageing, senior players like that big toothless, literally, clown Berra have absolutely let him down. He will be shipped out along with all the ageing, creaking players that his mentor signed. 

portobellojambo1
2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

And do you believe that is Stendel's fault, because I certainly don't. We've not suddenly become an uncompetitive side over the last month or so, what we have discovered is there are a lot of players who look as if they are not suited to playing the type of style he wants to introduce, in fact some of them look as if they struggle to play football full stop. What he is trying to do isn't rocket science, he wants us to press further up the park. For someone employed as a professional footballer it shouldn't be a difficult transition. The present problems at Tynecastle certainly involve the activities of a manager, but not the current manager.

Edited by portobellojambo1

26 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

Top post, well put 👍🏼

Agree, an excellent post. I take back the use of the T word and apologise. 

3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Unless that is drink talking on your part, I can't debate with you.  How EXACTLY has Stendel shat his pants against anyone. The ageing, senior players like that big toothless, literally, clown Berra have absolutely let him down. He will be shipped out along with all the ageing, creaking players that his mentor signed. 

We hadn’t lost at Tynecastle to St Johnstone in years. Hibs had just skelped them 1-4. We’ve not lost to Aberdeen in Edinburgh for a long time, that will be rectified on Sunday. 

9 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I think only those of us who backed Neilson can say "told you so." He was successful and an above average manager for us, despite what some would have us believe. People can say "told you" Levein should never have been appointed but we don't know how another manager would have done. We know Neilson did well, though.

Levein on the other hand deserved to go for the last season and a half he delivered (even with the injuries being a decent excuse). The only arguments are around whether he should have gone sooner or even got the job in the first place. No-one can have any "told you so" moment over Levein as there were zero signs he could have us playing well again without another major team revamp. And he'd had all his chances at doing that as he was always away in the summer anyhow. It's someone else's turn to have a go now.

I would give anything for Neilson back!

kingantti1874
11 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

99% of hearts fans backed Neilson