Odds on next manager

DB-14

3 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Groundwork 

So we interview lots of contenders prior to appointing a sporting director on the off chance that he might agree with appointing one of them.?

Yes it might save a bit of time but then surely he would also have to be happy with that appointment.

Sounds a bit the wrong way round to me.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• kingantti1874

• soonbe110

• mitch41

Just now, soonbe110 said:

Your third para is a joke. You have probably never met Mrs Budge, certainly never had a discussion about football with her yet you state that everybody on this board knows more about football than she does! 
Must be short odds favourite for most stupid post of the year on here. 

Fwiw I only took an interest in Hearts because of my Dad. Does that mean I know as little about the game as Mrs Budge?  What footballing academy did you attend that makes you this footballing guru?? 

You’re argument is utterly ridiculous, especially the second part. If mines is short odds I’d give your odds at 1/100. 

7 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

All these leaks out of Tynecastle regarding McPhee makes the place look like the Tory Government. Why would any owner give McPhee an interview when he had more involvement than Levein in the coaching of the team. I doubt most of our support could handle McPhee after Cathro & Levein.

Don’t think I mentioned McPhee. 

2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

You’re argument is utterly ridiculous, especially the second part. If mines is short odds I’d give your odds at 1/100. 

At least you didn’t deny you have not had that deep discussion with her re her knowledge of football, or the complete lack of it, as you suggested. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

You don’t have access to enough information to ‘hold the club to account’. You are however making a complete and utter tit of yourself by attempting to.

I don’t have the information, really?

So in the last 3 years; Hearts appointed Ian Cathro, failed to sack Ian Cathro at the right time. Had a process to find a new manager, appointed Craig Levein, then failed to sack Craig Levein at the right time. Failing to meet expectations 3 seasons running.

Information like that? 

Or or did I imagine that you utter spanner. 

5 minutes ago, Chong said:

.....Austin getting the Killie game they said. Presumably Warnocks having a wee holiday before rocking up to Tynie? 

Or someone else is. 
One thing not considered on here yet, I think, is that McPhee is going to Stoke but Budge/O’Neill have done a deal for Austin to stay until we have new mgmt team in place. Would explain the number of potential SD candidates that have supposedly been interviewed eg Irvine, Weir etc. 

At least you didn’t deny you have not had that deep discussion with her re her knowledge of football, or the complete lack of it, as you suggested. 

Whatever, you’re point is utter shite and you’re clearly at it.

1 minute ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I don’t have the information, really?

So in the last 3 years; Hearts appointed Ian Cathro, failed to sack Ian Cathro at the right time. Had a process to find a new manager, appointed Craig Levein, then failed to sack Craig Levein at the right time. Failing to meet expectations 3 seasons running.

Information like that? 

Or or did I imagine that you utter spanner. 

Yes. You would have to be present at all board meetings and every conversation between Budge and Levein, to be able comment in the manner that you are.

You are currently spending copious amounts of time, dissecting a recruitment strategy that:

(a) We don’t know the full extent of.

(b) hasn’t actually  recruited anybody yet.

An idea would be to chill out and then criticise the club if they make a poor appointment. The ‘holding the club to account’ line is the most embarrassing thing I’ve ever read on here. That really is impressive! 

53 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Cannot wait for fan ownership to watch Jammy T explode into a sanctimonious mess every week 

:jj:

I’m hoping the mods ban me for more than 2 weeks next time - this is misery.

although the definition of sanctimonious (let alone sheer arrogance) has been summed up on this thread already by claims that Hearts fans know more and better about appointing a manager for the club than our board do.

And I get called sanctimonious?

Edited by Jammy T

5 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Or someone else is. 
One thing not considered on here yet, I think, is that McPhee is going to Stoke but Budge/O’Neill have done a deal for Austin to stay until we have new mgmt team in place. Would explain the number of potential SD candidates that have supposedly been interviewed eg Irvine, Weir etc. 

this does make sense but maybe with the caveat that he is a contender if gets the results etc 

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Yes. You would have to be present at all board meetings and every conversation between Budge and Levein, to be able comment in the manner that you are.

You are currently spending copious amounts of time, dissecting a recruitment strategy that:

An idea would be to chill out and then criticise the club if they make a poor appointment. The ‘holding the club to account’ line is the most embarrassing thing I’ve ever read on here. That really is impressive! 

Careful, he has been awarded the ‘most stupid post’ award and the ‘most embarrassing post’ award in the space of five minutes. On a roll. 

5 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

....or if we get beat off killie, it's one win in three, if you want to flip it the other way! 

I would have been happy for austin to get up to the winter break but the fact weve started interviewing means the club would look stupid if they came out again and said the perfect man is here already, like they did with levein. 

I'm not sure about mcphee. I feel he's too stats focused. That line up v rangers was atrocious!  And tactics. 

Agree with you.

I think the Killie game will put him firmly in the running or drop him out altogether. If he wins there the Rangers game will prove whether it was him being sold a dud by picking up Levein's work and having no time to change it, or his own approach that gave is that fun game to watch. This second game for him against them should be, if he is still around, the game that decides if the job is his or not.

All in my not-itk opinion of course.

2 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

although the definition of sanctimonious (let alone sheer arrogance) has been summed up on this thread already by claims that Hearts fans know more about, and would do a better job of, appointing a manager for the club than our board do.

1 minute ago, Newton51 said:

this does make sense but maybe with the caveat that he is a contender if gets the results etc 

Yes but his choice could be manager at Hearts on £4K per week or assistant manager at Stoke on double that. 3.5 year contract at Stoke as well. That’s a tough one to knock back. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

No, I wouldn’t at all because it was quite clear that Ian Cathro and Craig Levein until recently were managers of Hearts, are you disputing that fact?

And secondly do you agree that both should have been sacked much earlier than they were? 

So you are saying i’d have to be in on a board conversation to come to both those conclusions?

:cornette:

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Yes but his choice could be manager at Hearts on £4K per week or assistant manager at Stoke on double that. 3.5 year contract at Stoke as well. That’s a tough one to knock back. 

McPhee not interested in going to Stoke, feels it’s time for him to step up.

SD or manager at Hearts or will look for a managers role.

Could see him at Falkirk if Hearts aren’t going to consider him.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
20 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

So we interview lots of contenders prior to appointing a sporting director on the off chance that he might agree with appointing one of them.?

Yes it might save a bit of time but then surely he would also have to be happy with that appointment.

Sounds a bit the wrong way round to me.

I'm sure they know what they are doing. They are not going to tell us anything. Its a confidential thing. People need to not only understand that but respect people's privacy 

5 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Careful, he has been awarded the ‘most stupid post’ award and the ‘most embarrassing post’ award in the space of five minutes. On a roll. 

:rofl:aye sure because I dared to scrutinise the club and the two chief brown noses come along to put out fires. Put it this way, both of you are very much in the minority on here and elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, Leisham38 said:

1 minute ago, Leisham38 said:

Well can step up somewhere else not at Hearts.

28 minutes ago, Special Agent Dale Cooper said:

Ha! Seems a logical choice after all.

Showing my naivety of Championship footy! Cheers!

you’re not alone - but at least you’ve admitted it - unlike the other oracles of football on here who could run a football club at the same time as pulling hair out their arse cracks.

6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Are you his agent?

How could you possibly know these things without being privy to a meeting or discussions of sorts?

1 minute ago, Cruyff Turn said:

No, I wouldn’t at all because it was quite clear that Ian Cathro and Craig Levein until recently were managers of Hearts, are you disputing that fact?

And secondly do you agree that both should have been sacked much earlier than they were? 

So you are saying i’d have to be in on a board conversation to come to both those conclusions?

No, you are the only person saying that. I am saying, that you would have to have full knowledge of events, to comment in the manner that you are. The amount of time Budge gave Levein and Cathro actually strengthens our hand when recruiting a new manager / sporting director. A point you do not appear to have considered in all your hypothetical rantings. 

Resorting to emoji's is not strengthening your argument whatsoever!

When the national lottery was about to start,   I sat down with some paper,  a pen and a calculator and worked out the odds of picking the 6 winning numbers from the 49 balls.      I was quite pleased to discover that my calculations that the odds were 13.98m to 1 was correct... when I found a flier in the house that gave the approximate odds as 14m to 1.

If I just waited to find the flier.

3 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

It’s not even remotely complicated at all.

Getting a short list of applicants and conducting interviews in an orderly manner would appear to be too much for our expert fanbase to comprehend thus it is, as a matter of fact, complicated.

Either that or folk are being twats.

Edited by Jammy T

Fozzyonthefence
21 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

although the definition of sanctimonious (let alone sheer arrogance) has been summed up on this thread already by claims that Hearts fans know more and better about appointing a manager for the club than our board do.

As the board’s last 2 managerial appointments have been unmitigated disasters it does strongly suggest they’re not very good, doesn’t it?

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

No, you are the only person saying that. I am saying, that you would have to have full knowledge of events, to comment in the manner that you are. The amount of time Budge gave Levein and Cathro actually strengthens our hand when recruiting a new manager / sporting director. A point you do not appear to have considered in all your hypothetical rantings. 

Resorting to emoji's is not strengthening your argument whatsoever!

You said I did not have any basis or information to criticise the board.

I gave you that information and you’re still disputing that the information I gave you is factual when it clearly is. Therefore it can be used to scrutinise the board when it comes to the process of hiring a manager.

I’m sticking to the content that you originally quoted me on, you’re away on radge caveats about something else which is completely irrelevant to that original post! 

Now you’re making a totally hypocritical point about the time given to both managers somehow strengthens our hand.

How do you know this?

Did Ann purposely not bullet the pair of them early doors because she believed that keeping them on strengthens her hand?

Were you in board discussions when they discussed this?

Have you spoken to the managers being interviewed for the position and did they say that the reason they applied was because Ann Budge gives managers time? 

14 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Are you his agent?

How could you possibly know these things without being privy to a meeting or discussions of sorts?

Clearly not his agent. 
Levein earned £178k last year including a cup final bonus. Fair to assume his replacement as first team manager, unless it’s a big name, won’t earn more than £4K per week. 
Widely reported that O’Neill signed a 3.5 year deal at Stoke worth £1.5m pa, that’s £30k per week. Not stretching it to think that his assistant will be earning at least a third of that so £500k pa or £9k per week. 

Fairly simple if you think about it. 

Edited by soonbe110

21 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Can we be sure that is what Hearts pay a manager?

kingantti1874
14 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Getting a short list of applicants and conducting interviews in an orderly manner would appear to be too much for our expert fanbase to comprehend thus it is, as a matter of fact, complicated.

It boils down to, we don’t trust the board to make the managerial appointment, they’ve consistently got it wrong over the past 2 / 3 years, the scattergun list of supposed candidates had only served to add fuel to the fire.

If we appointed Stuart McCall or Neil McCann it’d be pitchforks at dawn. The fact they’ve even been granted an audience is utterly bizarre.. be like interviewing a barista from Starbucks to be new CEO of Microsoft 😆

I also think Ann budge is up there with one of the best things ever to happen to the club.. 

these opinions seamlessly co-exist.

Edited by kingantti1874

4 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

You said I did not have any basis or information to criticise the board.

I gave you that information and you’re still disputing that the information I gave you is factual when it clearly is. Therefore it can be used to scrutinise the board when it comes to the process of hiring a manager.

I’m sticking to the content that you originally quoted me on, you’re away on radge caveats about something else which is completely irrelevant to that original post! 

Now you’re making a totally hypocritical point about the time given to both managers somehow strengthens our hand.

How do you know this?

Did Ann purposely not bullet the pair of them early doors because she believed that keeping them on strengthens her hand?

Were you in board discussions when they discussed this?

Have you spoken to the managers being interviewed for the position and did they say that the reason they applied was because Ann Budge gives managers time? 

How do I know that Ann Budge giving a substantial period of time to both ex Hearts manager, will be attractive to any potential new Hearts manager? Sure you can work it out. Just save some energy for when the actual appointment is made. You'll have burnt yourself out by then!

14 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

It’s the latter.

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Clearly not his agent. 
Levein earned £178k last year including a cup final bonus. Fair to assume his replacement as first team manager, unless it’s a big name, won’t earn more than £4K per week. 
Widely reported that O’Neill signed a 3.5 year deal at Stoke worth £1.5m pa, that’s £30k per week. Not stretching it to think that his assistant will be earning at least a third of that so £500k pa or £9k per week. 

Fairly simple if you think about it. 

Alright, so it’s okay for you to assume stuff.👍🏼

12 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

It’s not even remotely complicated at all.

The 4-week search to unearth Craig Levein last time seemed unnecessarily complicated I must say.

This current hunt is now well into its third week and I’m unclear how many people we are recruiting and in what sequence we are recruiting them. The people we’ve interviewed do not really seem to closely match the profile given by the CEO a fortnight ago.

It seems rather shambolic from where I sit. Hoping it turns out for the best though!

19 minutes ago, Leisham38 said:

Could be, I have no idea.  If he and O’Neill have a good relationship I’d be amazed if he turns down a life-changing opportunity at Stoke to stay with us, or Falkirk, if he doesn’t go it’s because O’Neill doesn’t want him I suspect. 

23 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

:rofl:aye sure because I dared to scrutinise the club and the two chief brown noses come along to put out fires. Put it this way, both of you are very much in the minority on here and elsewhere. 

Don’t think so but as always you are entitled to your opinion. 

19 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Yes and heaven help if some of our top targets happen to be abroad on holiday during the first week of interviews. If they couldn’t scrap their holidays to come to that huge club, Hearts, for interview we should just have binned their cv shouldn’t we? 

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

How do I know that Ann Budge giving a substantial period of time to both ex Hearts manager, will be attractive to any potential new Hearts manager? Sure you can work it out. Just save some energy for when the actual appointment is made. You'll have burnt yourself out by then!

You stated,

The amount of time Budge gave Levein and Cathro actually strengthens ourhand when recruiting a new manager / sporting director.” 

Now you’re telling me that you don’t know that.

If you want to play that game, I’ll quite happily oblige. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Had you not, I’d be inclined to agree. 

13 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

As the board’s last 2 managerial appointments have been unmitigated disasters it does strongly suggest they’re not very good, doesn’t it?

They turned out that way but the first of those appointments had a nearly 90% favourable rating in a poll on here day after the hiring was made. Maybe not as easy as some people on here think. 

Yes and heaven help if some of our top targets happen to be abroad on holiday during the first week of interviews. If they couldn’t scrap their holidays to come to that huge club, Hearts, for interview we should just have binned their cv shouldn’t we? 

Well yes, When you’re in the hunt for a 6-figure/annum role, you cut your holiday.

Not that I believe this is what is happening here. 

54 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

My tits are perfectly calm thank you very much but I will always hold the club to account. 👍🏼

Great, what would we do without you

19 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

First appointment was a Craig Levein recommendation.....he was the DOF so the board went with him.

Second appointment was because they thought CL was a better option than  who they apparently interviewed....I’m not so sure they made the wrong choice. Pressley, Hartley and Billy Davies have done absolutely nothing in those two years to make me think we missed a trick.

The board have had one go at making an appointment and got it wrong. Does this mean they shouldn’t be allowed another go ?

Seems a bit harsh to me.....I think they’ve more than earned the right to make another choice without being slated before interviews have been concluded.

Edited by DH1986

15 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Can we be sure that is what Hearts pay a manager?

Levein earned £178k last year so £4K per week slightly on the high side unless bonuses are earned   

Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

You stated,

The amount of time Budge gave Levein and Cathro actually strengthens ourhand when recruiting a new manager / sporting director.” 

Now you’re telling me that you don’t know that.

If you want to play that game, I’ll quite happily oblige. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Had you not, I’d be inclined to agree. 

Am I? I think basic literacy skills are holding you back here. Less use of emoji's and more use of your brain is what's required!

If you are applying for a job and the employer fires employees every couple of months is that:

(a) attractive 

(b) unattractive 

If you are applying to be Hearts manager, is knowing that you will get a substantial period of time, to implement your ideas and methods:

(a) attractive 

(b) unattractive