Odds on next manager

DB-14

10 hours ago, damo said:

Did JJ get these same type of comments when we were after him first time round? He had little and average experience but showed he could get a club punching above its weight playing good football. Robinson seems similar to me.

JJ had done a superb job at Falkirk winning numerous trophies at that level over a 5 years period.

Furthermore, in 1995 the infrastructure at Hearts was nothing like what it is now, meaning today we should have much greater appeal to prospective managers.

Both of these factors suggest to me that a like-for-like comparison with Stephen Robinson in 2019 should leave Robinson firmly at Motherwell.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• kingantti1874

• soonbe110

• mitch41

28 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Have to disagree about JJ.

The McLean season had left us in such a bad way that JJs appointment was met with enthusiasm.  I refuse to believe there were Hearts fans unhappy with his appointment.  I also remember the disappointment when the Falkirk chairman talked him into staying at Falkirk. Thankfully Jim saw the light eventually and the rest is history.

Why would anyone be against his appointment at that time ?

This is how I recall the mood too. I'd actually go further and say there was sheer jubilation amongst Hearts fans when Jeff did his Falkirk U-turn and decided to be Hearts manager. 

3 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

This is how I recall the mood too. I'd actually go further and say there was sheer jubilation amongst Hearts fans when Jeff did his Falkirk U-turn and decided to be Hearts manager. 

That is 100% the case. As I remember there was quite a healthy crowd waiting at the back the Old Stand for his arrival. It was the appointment that almost every Hearts supporter had been waiting for

Edited by Deevers
Typo

32 minutes ago, luckydug said:

The McLean season had left us in such a bad way that JJs appointment was met with enthusiasm.  I refuse to believe there were Hearts fans unhappy with his appointment.  I also remember the disappointment when the Falkirk chairman talked him into staying at Falkirk. Thankfully Jim saw the light eventually and the rest is history.

Because football fans are fickle and will never agree 100% ... like now there were plenty Hearts fans in 1995 thought we should be attracting a bigger name than JJ.. obviously he turned out the best man for the job...proving the fact then , like now,  that some football fans don’t always know what’s best for there clubs

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The internet has of course magnified everything. Opinions were never really heard before, shared and known, polls give a good sample of what people expect, want or are prepared to accept. 1995 doesn't seem that long ago, but I daresay, a game I remember well, JJ would have been subject of his poll following a 2-0 reverse to Falkirk, bottom just as we are now.

That season was rescued, rather remarkably, this one can be too. But you wonder what the impact of the internet may have had back then, you can guarantee, he would have been in far more difficulty back then.

David Winnie I think played at left back that day, was also Gilles Roussets debut. Season ended with a 4th place finish and a cup final appearance, history probably unlikely to repeat itself, if I was asked, I would have said personnel wise, we were in a worse place 24 years back.

51 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

Only if he underperforms.

Like Neilson? The problem for the new incumbent, is that we have some staggeringly stupid folk amongst our support.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
6 minutes ago, EasternRossco said:

Jesus, Austin was 12/1 was he not?! 

Dread to think the reaction if that's the route we go down, especially after the performance Sunday past. 

I'd lay that bet if I could. No danger this will happen, she is talking about mistakes, that would be the biggest of all, her Senior pros will not let it happen.

Carlos Carvalhal and Aitor Karanka are interesting names if they have applied, doubtful though.

20 minutes ago, Deevers said:

That is 100% the case. As I remember there was quite a healthy crowd waiting at the back the Old Stand for his arrival. It was the appointment that almost every Hearts supporter had been waiting for

A great atmosphere at his first game back 

. A friendly down south iirc

Mind you there was a really big turn out for Joe Jordan's unveiling 

EasternRossco
5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I'd lay that bet if I could. No danger this will happen, she is talking about mistakes, that would be the biggest of all, her Senior pros will not let it happen.

Carlos Carvalhal and Aitor Karanka are interesting names if they have applied, doubtful though.

I'd be happy with them, Stendel or to a lesser extent Ross personally. Think Ross is the most viable but only best of a bad bunch in terms of the seriously linked names. 

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

See when people bitch about Ann can they take a step back and acknowledge that without her we wouldn’t have our benefactors 

Can you say that? They are friends of the club rather than friends of Ann are they not??

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

Like Neilson? The problem for the new incumbent, is that we have some staggeringly stupid folk amongst our support.

Correct, and most of the anger seems to come from Budge being woman, Levein being a shitebag, Gary Locke shouldnt have been sacked and Neilson being a phoodle. 

It's the way of the world now, the stupid have a voice.

Anyone expecting free flowing exciting football home and away are in for a shock, hasn't happened for more than a few months here or there in my lifetime.

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

You shouldn’t be so self critical.

2 hours ago, Deevers said:

Ah, good old kickback. Love these threads. One thing is certain in all of this - no matter who we get  appointed, some folk will always be unhappy and the toys will be well and truly chucked out of the Prams. Going to be a fractious time until it's all settled. 

yep...nearly every name mentioned someone says..no thanks

Maroon Sailor
Wee Robbo drifting - now 16/1
Walter Smith 25/1

Steve Robinson 8/11
Jack Ross 7/2
Roy Keane 5/1
Austin MacPhee 8/1
David Moyes 8/1
Mark Hughes 12/1
Andy Kirk 14/1
Gary Holt 16/1
John Robertson 16/1
Neil McCann 16/1
Daniel Stendel 20/1
Gary Naysmith 20/1
Michael O'Neill 20/1
Paul Hartley 20/1
Scot Gemmill 20/1
Shelley Kerr 20/1
Steven Pressley 20/1
Takis Fyssas 20/1
Henrik Larsson 22/1
Lee Bullen 22/1
Nathan Jones 22/1
Robbie Neilson 22/1
Aidy Boothroyd 25/1
Ally McCoist 25/1
Chris Sutton 25/1
Darren Fletcher 25/1
Malky Mackay 25/1
Owen Coyle 25/1
Paul Scholes 25/1
Walter Smith 25/1
Chris Coleman 28/1
Ian McCall 28/1
Jon Daly 28/1
Steve Watson 28/1
Aitor Karanka 33/1
David Obua 33/1
Jose Gomes 33/1
Juho Mäkelä 33/1
Mike Newell 33/1
Neil Harris 33/1
Tony Pulis 33/1
Alex Neil 40/1
George Burley 40/1
Stuart McCall 40/1

1 hour ago, luckydug said:

I am sure all Hearts fans where delighted when JJ was appointed,I certainly was,the  person who was disappointed was the Falkirk chairman,I seem to remember he offered JJ a 5 or 7 year contract to stay!

The application window shuts Friday so the reality is these names are just plucked out the air and people asking for odds on certain managers because someone down the pub mentioned a name. I heard from an ex player that Moyes was in the frame 2 days later he rules himself out, it'll be like this for a week or so. I suspect many of the same names will be on the odds for the Hibs manager - with a few ex hibs players thrown in for good measure. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the new manager isn't on the list, I also suspect the list will change completely come Monday.

Samuel Camazzola
41 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:
Wee Robbo drifting - now 16/1
Walter Smith 25/1

Steve Robinson 8/11
Jack Ross 7/2
Roy Keane 5/1
Austin MacPhee 8/1
David Moyes 8/1
Mark Hughes 12/1
Andy Kirk 14/1
Gary Holt 16/1
John Robertson 16/1
Neil McCann 16/1
Daniel Stendel 20/1
Gary Naysmith 20/1
Michael O'Neill 20/1
Paul Hartley 20/1
Scot Gemmill 20/1
Shelley Kerr 20/1
Steven Pressley 20/1
Takis Fyssas 20/1
Henrik Larsson 22/1
Lee Bullen 22/1
Nathan Jones 22/1
Robbie Neilson 22/1
Aidy Boothroyd 25/1
Ally McCoist 25/1
Chris Sutton 25/1
Darren Fletcher 25/1
Malky Mackay 25/1
Owen Coyle 25/1
Paul Scholes 25/1
Walter Smith 25/1
Chris Coleman 28/1
Ian McCall 28/1
Jon Daly 28/1
Steve Watson 28/1
Aitor Karanka 33/1
David Obua 33/1
Jose Gomes 33/1
Juho Mäkelä 33/1
Mike Newell 33/1
Neil Harris 33/1
Tony Pulis 33/1
Alex Neil 40/1
George Burley 40/1
Stuart McCall 40/1

There needs to be another name added to compliment Juho and Gangsta Dave. 😄

Kingston? Quitongo? MoJo? Or even someone left field like Sauzee. 

31 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

There needs to be another name added to compliment Juho and Gangsta Dave. 😄

Kingston? Quitongo? MoJo? Or even someone left field like Sauzee. 

Mark Hughes jumping to 12/1 is an interesting one, he fits what Ann is looking for.

We need someone who is going to fall in love with the club in the way that Sergio did.  If someone like Hughes was interested and really took the club to their heart, it could be win win.

Adam_the_legend
1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

Correct, and most of the anger seems to come from Budge being woman, Levein being a shitebag, Gary Locke shouldnt have been sacked and Neilson being a phoodle. 

It's the way of the world now, the stupid have a voice.

Anyone expecting free flowing exciting football home and away are in for a shock, hasn't happened for more than a few months here or there in my lifetime.

Except none of that is true. The irony of you calling people stupid is brilliant 

£2.5M a year HAHAHA. Our absolute maximum will be about £500k p/a, and even then I reckon that's being pretty ambitious! 

I don't really know who I would pick if it was up to me - David Moyes seems a good shout, but with him having ruled himself out and bearing in mind the sort of budget we're going to have, I don't think that's going to happen considering he was being paid about £50k p/w at West Ham. 

As much as it pains me to say, I think Steven Gerrard has made Scottish football a bit more of an appealing destination for managers and looking through Transfermrkt, some names have jumped out at me:

Thierry Henry (surely would have our attackers well drilled)

Tony Pullis (bags of experience, might feel like he has something to prove, players won't want to mess with him)

Nathan Jones (just left Stoke, don't think Hearts would be a massive step down)

Ian Holloway (always fancied him as a Hearts manager - think he would command instant respect and would be an excellent man-manager)

Roberto Di Matteo (fiery temperament, wouldn't taken any nonsense, would hand out a bollocking for anyone not pulling their weight) 

Paul Clement (Again good man-management skills, some experience, probably in-budget)

Billy Davies (was really enthusastic when I'd heard we were interviewing him last time so would like him to be in the frame again)

Gio Van Bronkhorst (guess you could say he understands the league, think he done not bad in a couple of Dutch teams, but would be slightly concerned that he'll always have one eye on Ibrox)

I think these are probably all semi-realistic targets based on the sort of budget we're likely to have. 

12 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

What’s the budget?

£2.5 million per annum / £50k per week?? Should get somebody good for that!

Anything significantly less and it will be ‘fishing’ in the English first division pool or the Scottish cesspit!

That will be absolutely miles off!

2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Yes coming on here at times is like watching Michael Stewart . Very unpleasant .

Not very technical but is it possible to have a filter for feral posts ?

Opinions are fine but the nasty , vindictive shit directed at people who have done everything they could for Hearts is , to me unacceptable .

We have wealthy benefactors 

Hard to get extremely easy to lose

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Our total wage bill in the last financial year was £6.3m.

Now that's what I call value for money. Well deserved.

Coburg Hearts
2 hours ago, Deevers said:

This is all true, but it might have been a bit different had kickback been around.

16 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Yes coming on here at times is like watching Michael Stewart . Very unpleasant .

Not very technical but is it possible to have a filter for feral posts ?

Opinions are fine but the nasty , vindictive shit directed at people who have done everything they could for Hearts is , to me unacceptable .

We have wealthy benefactors 

Hard to get extremely easy to lose

Good post. 

Byyy The Light
4 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Said this before Levein went,  one month and the new manager will be in for it too

As sure as day follows night 

30 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

I believe the salary is around £250,000, anyone who thinks we would pay £2.5M is off their head.

Is our annual turnover not about £14m? Who is thinking we are paying £2.5m?!

Not sure anyone on the list excites me yet - maybe Stendel but we've no idea if we are interested. Or if he would be either.

Hoping for someone coming out of nowhere to blow us away.

Edited by E6 Inc

2 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Hope Ann has something up her sleeve as the list is a bit uninspiring.

What list are you talking about??

Nigel Adkins could be a good shout, favours youth development and mixing youth with experience, is a fully qualified physio so could sort out the injuries and used to be a keeper so could sort that position out too :) 

19 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

What list are you talking about??

Given that this is the 'Next Manager Odds' thread I think we can safely assume he us talking about the list of managers with odds against them.

Edited by Sooperstar

I think it's 100% right that we take our time to make the best choice possible BUT I do wish I had a time machine to fast forward to when we actually get someone.  

1 minute ago, TexasAndy said:

I think it's 100% right that we take our time to make the best choice possible BUT I do wish I had a time machine to fast forward to when we actually get someone.  

The international break is good for us as it gives us a bit more time to find the right person without potentially sacrificing too many games

6 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Do you think ann gives her list to the bookies like??

Wouldn't have thought so no. Would seem a bit silly. Probably why We Are The Hearts is hoping that Ann has some better names on her actual list.

3 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Wouldn't have thought so no. Would seem a bit silly. Probably why We Are The Hearts is hoping that Ann has some better names on her actual list.

There will be many good names on the list but not quoted in the betting. She may even approach the benefactors if there is someone of (outstanding for Hearts quality) worth going all out for. I hope that is the case.

Just now, sac said:

There will be many good names on the list but not quoted in the betting. She may even approach the benefactors if there is someone of (outstanding for Hearts quality) worth going all out for. I hope that is the case.

Yep, no doubt.

However, Agent seems to have a problem with people discussing the bookies list in the thread about the bookies list.

3 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Fair point, although I think in Neilson's case it was a very small group of malcontents who hired the plane for reasons known only to themselves. I'm not sure I remember any mass discord in the stands, even when the football was less than scintillating. Fans will put up with functional football if the team wins games. We're no different from any other fan base in that regard.