Odds on next manager

DB-14

1 hour ago, mc2607 said:

£2.5M a year HAHAHA. Our absolute maximum will be about £500k p/a, and even then I reckon that's being pretty ambitious! 

I don't really know who I would pick if it was up to me - David Moyes seems a good shout, but with him having ruled himself out and bearing in mind the sort of budget we're going to have, I don't think that's going to happen considering he was being paid about £50k p/w at West Ham. 

As much as it pains me to say, I think Steven Gerrard has made Scottish football a bit more of an appealing destination for managers and looking through Transfermrkt, some names have jumped out at me:

Thierry Henry (surely would have our attackers well drilled)

Tony Pullis (bags of experience, might feel like he has something to prove, players won't want to mess with him)

Nathan Jones (just left Stoke, don't think Hearts would be a massive step down)

Ian Holloway (always fancied him as a Hearts manager - think he would command instant respect and would be an excellent man-manager)

Roberto Di Matteo (fiery temperament, wouldn't taken any nonsense, would hand out a bollocking for anyone not pulling their weight) 

Paul Clement (Again good man-management skills, some experience, probably in-budget)

Billy Davies (was really enthusastic when I'd heard we were interviewing him last time so would like him to be in the frame again)

Gio Van Bronkhorst (guess you could say he understands the league, think he done not bad in a couple of Dutch teams, but would be slightly concerned that he'll always have one eye on Ibrox)

I think these are probably all semi-realistic targets based on the sort of budget we're likely to have. 

Some interesting shouts in there. 

what about Jaap Stam, having previously left Feyenoord..

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• kingantti1874

• soonbe110

• mitch41

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, mc2607 said:

£2.5M a year HAHAHA. Our absolute maximum will be about £500k p/a, and even then I reckon that's being pretty ambitious! 

I don't really know who I would pick if it was up to me - David Moyes seems a good shout, but with him having ruled himself out and bearing in mind the sort of budget we're going to have, I don't think that's going to happen considering he was being paid about £50k p/w at West Ham. 

As much as it pains me to say, I think Steven Gerrard has made Scottish football a bit more of an appealing destination for managers and looking through Transfermrkt, some names have jumped out at me:

Tony Pullis (bags of experience, might feel like he has something to prove, players won't want to mess with him)

Ian Holloway (always fancied him as a Hearts manager - think he would command instant respect and would be an excellent man-manager)

Roberto Di Matteo (fiery temperament, wouldn't taken any nonsense, would hand out a bollocking for anyone not pulling their weight) 

Paul Clement (Again good man-management skills, some experience, probably in-budget)

Billy Davies (was really enthusastic when I'd heard we were interviewing him last time so would like him to be in the frame again)

Gio Van Bronkhorst (guess you could say he understands the league, think he done not bad in a couple of Dutch teams, but would be slightly concerned that he'll always have one eye on Ibrox)

I think these are probably all semi-realistic targets based on the sort of budget we're likely to have. 

Paul Clement

Now I know I'm possibly regarded as a poster that jumps the gun (that's just me)

But that is a hell of a shout. I think he'd do a fantastic job

10 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

Fair point, although I think in Neilson's case it was a very small group of malcontents who hired the plane for reasons known only to themselves. I'm not sure I remember any mass discord in the stands, even when the football was less than scintillating. Fans will put up with functional football if the team wins games. We're no different from any other fan base in that regard.

Fickle just about says it all. Calls for one manager to be removed when we were sitting second top and calls for another to go when we are second bottom.  No happy medium in this place. 😃

1 minute ago, Deevers said:

Fickle just about says it all. Calls for one manager to be removed when we were sitting second top and calls for another to go when we are second bottom.  No happy medium in this place. 😃

I am coming round to the idea of Mark Hughes, fits the high profile description, hasn't been too successful in recent gigs, but surely he would succeed in Scotland?

rudi must stay
1 minute ago, ericb said:

I am coming round to the idea of Mark Hughes, fits the high profile description, hasn't been too successful in recent gigs, but surely he would succeed in Scotland?

Depends on his interview if he had one. New ideas and enthusiasm he'd be a brilliant choice. If not it would just be big bucks thrown away

4 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Paul Clement

Now I know I'm possibly regarded as a poster that jumps the gun (that's just me)

Has he not been sacked in his last 4 jobs for being pish?

.NET are saying Jack Ross is a done deal for them and could be announced today/tomorrow. 

I take that with a very big pinch of salt but i would be meh about him joining anyway

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Has he not been sacked in his last 4 jobs for being pish?

Pish in the best leagues in the world, and some of his results hint at potential (beat some good teams in the Premiership)

Plus look at his experience

1 minute ago, gov said:

.NET are saying Jack Ross is a done deal for them and could be announced today/tomorrow. 

I take that with a very big pinch of salt but i would be meh about him joining anyway

I won't know how I feel about that until we get someone in.

Bazzas right boot
14 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

What’s the budget?

£2.5 million per annum / £50k per week?? Should get somebody good for that!

Anything significantly less and it will be ‘fishing’ in the English first division pool or the Scottish cesspit!

Sarcasm 

Or

glue.jpeg

43 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Kevin Keegan might fancy one last gig

I'll tell you what, I'd love it if it was him. Love it! 😁

Joking aside, i said him as well and I would actually love it to be him. Would be an amazing appointment but presume with him being out of football for so long, he's not interested in getting back into it. Unfortunately. 

15 minutes ago, Iconic Idiot said:

I won't know how I feel about that until we get someone in.

15 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Pish in the best leagues in the world, and some of his results hint at potential (beat some good teams in the Premiership)

Clement would be a superb appointment I think. Fits the criteria AB has mentioned and has bags of pedigree having worked under Ancelotti for a number of years. Not a huge amount of time as an actual manager though.

Do we have a big enough budget for Clement? I know I said in my original comment he might be in budget but looking at his history in a bit more detail now I'm not sure. One thing is for sure though - he would take absolutely no sh*t!  

I only plucked him out of the available and semi realistic targets in Transfermrkt like I say though - I have no reason to believe he's actually a contender! 

Edited by mc2607

Bazzas right boot

We need someone - 

Who hates hibs like Locke or CL and can make them our bitches. 

With Someone, like Burley who wasn't scared of the OF. 

Add a pinch of jj who  dragged us up and won a trophy playing good football  

With A dash of Someone like MacDonald who made us constantly a good side. 

Finally a dolop of Someone like Robbo who is just a great all round chap. 

So a Burley/ jj/ locke/CL / MacDonald / Robbo hybrid. 

Piece of pish. 

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Given that this is the 'Next Manager Odds' thread I think we can safely assume he us talking about the list of managers with odds against them.

Most of the guys on the list would certainly have the odds against them,  a fairly uninspiring list. The ex Barnsley guy  (not Heckie) would be an interesting one though. Walking football replaced by fast, attacking and pressing football, we can only dream.

29 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

Some interesting shouts in there. 

what about Jaap Stam, having previously left Feyenoord..

Stam is a shout. Nobody would **** with him haha - can't see wee Popcorn Teeth coming out of his dugout to square up to him haha. 

I do think there's something to be said for looking towards the continent for our next boss though. Would love to some efficient pass-and-move German style football or some Dutch "total football" as they called it where the team was very adaptable and versatile.

Would be great if we've got a wee bit money to throw at this. Could end up with a genuinely very interesting appointment.   

2 hours ago, mc2607 said:

I can tell you right now if he's appointed by Hearts I will not set foot in Tynecastle again until he's gone (and based on his billy big baws shite, that wouldn't be long).  He's an odious ****ing toad.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Robinson 11/10 Adkins 14/1 today's developments. 

Very quiet market a few quid changes everything 

57 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Paul Clement

He'd be my pick.

We_are_the_Hearts
1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

He'd be my pick.

The same Clement that failed at Swansea and Reading where the fans said he played boring and negative football?

The White Cockade
4 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

The same Clement that failed at Swansea and Reading where the fans said he played boring and negative football?

exactly

he was mince

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, TheStig said:

Kevin Keegan might fancy one last gig

Not allowed to go down the ex Hearts players route

1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

He's still been sacked before seeing out a full season at Derby, Swansea and Reading in his only 3 head coach / manager roles.

I suspect 'look at his experience' was the rationale for him getting all of those jobs, but it clearly doesn't translate into results.

Maroon Sailor
Steve Robinson 11/10
Jack Ross 7/2
Roy Keane 5/1
Austin MacPhee 8/1
David Moyes 10/1
Mark Hughes 12/1
Andy Kirk 14/1
Nigel Adkins 14/1
Gary Holt 16/1
John Robertson 16/1
Neil McCann 16/1

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

We need someone - 

Who hates hibs like Locke or CL and can make them our bitches. 

With Someone, like Burley who wasn't scared of the OF. 

Add a pinch of jj who  dragged us up and won a trophy playing good football  

With A dash of Someone like MacDonald who made us constantly a good side. 

Finally a dolop of Someone like Robbo who is just a great all round chap. 

So a Burley/ jj/ locke/CL / MacDonald / Robbo hybrid. 

Piece of pish. 

Is that picture of the guy sniffing glue a selfie? 

15 hours ago, Heriot_jambo said:

Oh I do hope you're joking 

Yes it was tongue in cheek!

More matching a salary to some of the names being mentioned (and still are), eg David Moyes!

Hearts just don’t have the budget for the ‘big names’ that are quoted.

Hearts can probably only afford to pay 10% of the salary those names command!

So let’s all get real!

Steve Robinson or Gary Holt for me. Been here in our league with low budgets and have done well. Both men on their way up in management. Fresh face to our club and realistic salary requirement.

Just now, o1djambo said:

Steve Robinson or Gary Holt for me. Been here in our league with low budgets and have done well. Both men on their way up in management. Fresh face to our club and realistic salary requirement.

And I don't think starting a fight with either of them would be a good idea.

Heckingbottom had a good rep before he came to Scotland but his arrogance meant filled the team with English football journeyman. I would hope we would go for someone with Scottish football experience but doesn’t have to be an ex

player

Edited by Newton51
Update

Leveins Battalion

Robinson is highly rated by Michael O'Neil,he's young and has played at a decent level,international player and is performing well in only his 2nd management job,people discounting him foolishly.His managerial career is in the ascendancy and I believe he would be a great fit for us.

9 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Robinson is highly rated by Michael O'Neil,he's young and has played at a decent level,international player and is performing well in only his 2nd management job,people discounting him foolishly.His managerial career is in the ascendancy and I believe he would be a great fit for us.

Won't unite the fans. Teams play well in fits and starts. Really don't see the clamour for him. This seasons Tommy Wright

10 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

It would not surprise me in the least if he were to be the next Hibs boss while AB pisses about having a chat with Craig about who the next Coach should be.

Leveins Battalion
7 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Won't unite the fans. Teams play well in fits and starts. Really don't see the clamour for him. This seasons Tommy Wright

Tommy Wright has been at St Johnstone for nearly 7 years,he's approaching 60 years old and is not going to get a bigger gig.Robinson and him are not similar apart from the N.I connection,the only thing that will unite the fans is by starting to win games and look like we are trying to win games.We would accept Edward Malofeev if he won games of football.

alwaysthereinspirit

What I dont want to have to do after the new manager is announced is come on here with a "meh"

That'll be a downer for me.

Need someone with fresh ideas, only person I would take back although don't know what he's up to these days I'd George burley still has unfinished business at tynie. 

5 hours ago, Finlay James said:

Mark Hughes jumping to 12/1 is an interesting one, he fits what Ann is looking for.

We need someone who is going to fall in love with the club in the way that Sergio did.  If someone like Hughes was interested and really took the club to their heart, it could be win win.

Except for the fact, he is shit. 

Easy for AB to say we want to take our time

bad result on Saturday v St Mirren and guarantee  the clamour to bring in a new boss will go crazy, especially if Hibs make an early choice 

4 minutes ago, HighTimes said:

He'd do for me. Always liked him as a manager.

Doesn't have a great recent track record but I could see him doing OK for us. I have a friend who is a Bangor season ticket holder so will get the lowdown on his past exploits.

21 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Tommy Wright has been at St Johnstone for nearly 7 years,he's approaching 60 years old and is not going to get a bigger gig.Robinson and him are not similar apart from the N.I connection,the only thing that will unite the fans is by starting to win games and look like we are trying to win games.We would accept Edward Malofeev if he won games of football.

I'm not saying he is like Wright I'm saying last year the Robinson type shouts were for Tommy Wright. We knocked Motherwell out of the LC this season with THIS team and CL's tactics on their own pitch. This is a big chance for us to take a step forward. Robinson seems more sideways to me. It's all about opinions though and he's certainly not the worst name quoted by the bookies

NaturalOrder74

We rly need someone in and to get settled before the run in December we have a cracking list of home games in December and really want someone to have the team figured out by then 

rudi must stay

I see Carlos Carlaval is linked. His Swansea were nice to watch (did they not beat Sheffield Wednesday 10-0)

Another good candidate. But knowing the new sporting director (I reckon it's the Hull guy, too random to be plucked from nowhere) I think it's Adkins and watching a press conference he has a good positive manner about him and for me fits Anne Budge's comments. :thumbsup:

40 minutes ago, Jambo647 said:

Easy for AB to say we want to take our time

bad result on Saturday v St Mirren and guarantee  the clamour to bring in a new boss will go crazy, especially if Hibs make an early choice 

**** Hibs and their choice. If any Hearts supporter loses their **** because they've rushed to an appointment they need their heads read.

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

Won't unite the fans. Teams play well in fits and starts. Really don't see the clamour for him. This seasons Tommy 

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

I'm not saying he is like Wright I'm saying last year the Robinson type shouts were for Tommy Wright. We knocked Motherwell out of the LC this season with THIS team and CL's tactics on their own pitch. This is a big chance for us to take a step forward. Robinson seems more sideways to me. It's all about opinions though and he's certainly not the worst name quoted by the bookies

53 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

I see Carlos Carlaval is linked. His Swansea were nice to watch (did they not beat Sheffield Wednesday 10-0)

Another good candidate. But knowing the new sporting director (I reckon it's the Hull guy, too random to be plucked from nowhere) I think it's Adkins and watching a press conference he has a good positive manner about him and for me fits Anne Budge's comments. :thumbsup:

Out of all the "bigger" names Carlaval is an interesting one. I'd be pretty happy if we could lure him in I might go as far as saying I'd rather have him than Robinson. 

Captain Canada

I wouldn't want Adkins or Carvahal. I know fans of teams they've managed and they don't have a great opinion of them. 

Yes I'm being fussy, but their recent track records just don't inspire me. 

I think it is clear is that there is not one appointment who all the fans will universally agree on. That being said, i do remember there being wide spread delight at Ian Cathro being appointed so maybe people disagreeing isnt a bad thing