General Election 2019

Shanks said no

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Long-term agreements to share responsibilities and costs. 

For the benefit of all involved. 

Seems like a good idea. 

I’d imagine there would be a lot of pragmatism after all the blowing. 
Id certainly like to think so too. 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Justin Z

• dobmisterdobster

• Mikey1874

Just now, jack D and coke said:

I’d imagine there would be a lot of pragmatism after all the blowing. 
Id certainly like to think so too. 

Hopefully common sense would prevail on all sides.

As we have seen above, just a few posts ago, it's easy too jump down someone's throat when it looks like he's from the 'other side' of the debate (EC Hearts), but when things are explained properly, and taken into context, a kind of mutual goodwill and understanding takes place.

5 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Councils are paying private landlords £000s (probably mainly paid by housing benefit) for ex council houses as temporary accommodation for homeless people. Because there aren't enough Council houses. 

Yes i know that. Hence making my statement . 

jack D and coke
10 minutes ago, Adam Murray said:

Hopefully common sense would prevail on all sides.

As we have seen above, just a few posts ago, it's easy too jump down someone's throat when it looks like he's from the 'other side' of the debate (EC Hearts), but when things are explained properly, and taken into context, a kind of mutual goodwill and understanding takes place.

Absolutely. 

9 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Freedom of movement to live and work, shared currency and welfare, shared economic market. That kind of stuff. 

Sounds like the UK no? 

3 hours ago, Les Izemore said:

Apologies for being late to this but ‘It doesn’t bother me’ stands tallest as everything that’s wrong and corrupt about politics in this country. You honestly can’t really mean that?

Apathy and a lack of engagement and accountability is ‘exactly’ why charlatans of all political persuasions are ruining our lives. Your second statement may be true, I honestly don’t know, but if you wash your hands of it then how can you change anything?

You normally come across as a reasoned poster but that statement is horrifying. 

His second statement was made up and totally untrue

1 hour ago, EC_Hearts said:

Hasn't been a connection between Rosyth and nuclear weapons since the 90's?

However as someone employed in the defence industry I find any claim that the SNP would spend money on defence laughable.

Defence industry, Is that UK  defence only?

Or you make parts that then get put together with other parts that make WMD's and sold around the world...

Edited by jumpship

45 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Having watched David Linden (SNP) on The Andrew Neil Show, the issue is- The SNP are saying they would cut spending in an indy Scotland by not having Trident. (Bairns not Bombs etc)

But the actual reality on the ground is The SNP would actually spend a lot of money on the site, re-purposing it it all, so the saving would not be that much.

So in effect, there is not that much saving to be made, if SNP are committed to the  2% NATO spending pledge. (And I highly doubt the decommissioning of Faslane will be quick, easy, or cheap)

The spending the Scottish government would make would be employing people, rather than nuclear weapons. People in jobs paying taxes, rather than some redundant missiles

1 hour ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

We would use pound sterling short term. Medium to long term will probably be the Scottish pound. 

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

That interview was abysmal though mate

Was. But hey, we live in the era of Boris so lets forgive & forget. 

7 minutes ago, XB52 said:

We would use pound sterling short term. Medium to long term will probably be the Scottish pound. 

We will be using Sterling as its a General Election thread. The indy one will be after the landslide SNP victory. 

13 minutes ago, XB52 said:

The spending the Scottish government would make would be employing people, rather than nuclear weapons. People in jobs paying taxes, rather than some redundant missiles

Now now, stop being sensible & reasonable with these Scottish haters. Doesnt matter a jot what you say. Unless its to endorse ANY of the Westminster lot, then youre all good!

Edited by Pans Jambo

2 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

We only need 1 Pan-Universal-Utopian-Republic Nicola Sturgeon, because that = £5 Trillion 

They won't be in power after a Scottish General Election so you won't have concern yourself with her. She must be doing something right to get it right up the unionist clowns. 

Brighton Jambo
2 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

They won't be in power after a Scottish General Election so you won't have concern yourself with her. She must be doing something right to get it right up the unionist clowns. 

So after famously securing something half the electorate want  the SNP are suddenly abandoned by thousands upon thousands of their members who flock back to a virtually wiped out labour or to the conservatives leaving the SNP, at the moment of their greatest triumph and with the opportunity to shape a new nations agenda, to simply fade away into obscurity?

Sorry but that is total and utter  rubbish and you insult our intelligence by suggesting that would be the case.  

1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

So after famously securing something half the electorate want  the SNP are suddenly abandoned by thousands upon thousands of their members who flock back to a virtually wiped out labour or to the conservatives leaving the SNP, at the moment of their greatest triumph and with the opportunity to shape a new nations agenda, to simply fade away into obscurity?

Sorry but that is total and utter  rubbish and you insult our intelligence by suggesting that would be the case.  

This seems like a humorous comment, but I fear you believe it is a fact.

Brighton Jambo
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

This seems like a humorous comment, but I fear you believe it is a fact.

Genuine question then , what happens to SNP after a yes vote? 

4 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

What happens after Brexit and the Brexit party?

The SNP is a coalition of independence. They'll join or form other parties post independence. And at the end of the day, even if they stayed in some form. Their only selling point has gone. It's then an even field for all parties.

Edited by ri Alban

9 hours ago, jake said:

So let's just accept it and vote for those who lie in a way that suits your political outlook.

Progressive stuff.

There's honestly misreading somethibt and then there's going out of your way to make rubbish out of what someone wrote.

Try again, Sparky.

Brighton Jambo
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

What happens after Brexit and the Brexit party?

The SNP is a coalition of independence. They'll join or form other parties post independence.

Aha!  I asked what happened after a yes vote not what happens after independence.  After a vote to leave the EU the Brexit party was actually formed as a result of other parties tried to overturn the result.  Do you believe the labour and Conservative party in Scotland will just accept a yes vote and not immediately start pushing for a confirmatory referendum as per the approach to Brexit? 

Labour, Tories and Lib Dem’s will all continue to be pro union after independence so if the SNP are going to disappear those parties can form a union coalition in Holyrood and have another referendum!  In the mean time they can make sure they work with the UK government to get a bad deal for Scotland to enable success in that referendum.  Happy days! 

8 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Aha!  I asked what happened after a yes vote not what happens after independence.  After a vote to leave the EU the Brexit party was actually formed as a result of other parties tried to overturn the result.  Do you believe the labour and Conservative party in Scotland will just accept a yes vote and not immediately start pushing for a confirmatory referendum as per the approach to Brexit? 

Labour, Tories and Lib Dem’s will all continue to be pro union after independence so if the SNP are going to disappear those parties can form a union coalition in Holyrood and have another referendum!  In the mean time they can make sure they work with the UK government to get a bad deal for Scotland to enable success in that referendum.  Happy days! 

That's up to them. But why would anyone want to be a bit part lapdaog of the UK, instead of the Prime Minister of Scotland.

Edited by ri Alban

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
10 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

You honestly think Scotland would vote to rejoin the union?

53 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Haws oan, am just polishing ma crystal bawz noo!!!

Brighton Jambo
25 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

You honestly think Scotland would vote to rejoin the union?

I don’t think for one second Scotland will vote to leave the union in the first place but if we do it will be by a very small margin.  In the exact same way as with brexit the ‘losers’ will not just give up and if once the full ramifications of leaving the Uk are fully understood a confirmatory referendum could easily see people deciding they have changed their mind.   It won’t take many to do so to switch back.

Brighton Jambo
1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

Haws oan, am just polishing ma crystal bawz noo!!!

Funny because you must be the only person who ‘doesn’t know’.  Everyone else seems so certain they won’t be voted for and will disappear.  

41 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Truth is I would wager half of the Westminster party scottish MP’s can see the benefits of independence but they wont speak out for fear of upsetting HQ & losing the moron vote.

Youre now discussing what will happen after a YES vote. Welcome to reality!

4 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I don’t think for one second Scotland will vote to leave the union in the first place but if we do it will be by a very small margin.  In the exact same way as with brexit the ‘losers’ will not just give up and if once the full ramifications of leaving the Uk are fully understood a confirmatory referendum could easily see people deciding they have changed their mind.   It won’t take many to do so to switch back.

Aye because Scotland is shite unless Westminster is running our affairs and the devolved parliament has a Westminster based party running it...then its brilliant!

I may have mentioned that before and I am fairly sure I will be mentioning it again!

Shitebags!

20 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Funny because you must be the only person who ‘doesn’t know’.  Everyone else seems so certain they won’t be voted for and will disappear.  

I am sure they will govern initially until scotland are independent at which point they will disband and form different parties. Nicola sturgeon will such legend that no doubt she will be voted in again after another general election. 

The SNPs purpose will be served thoughm 

jack D and coke

I think they’d be around for an election or two in some form and probably just as the SNP for the short term anyway. 
I’m of the opinion Scotland would eventually elect a conservative type government within an election or two also. It would be free from the toxic WM version and would much more likely to get people’s votes. 
Personally people like David McCletchie and Annabel Goldie would be right up my street for Scottish PM. Scottish Conservatives then got it spectacularly wrong with Davidson imo. 
An absolute balloon of a woman.  Flip flopped all over the place and allowed to get away with it too. 

Scottish Labour too used to have people I liked, Dewar and Henry McLeish being guys I always found affable and likeable. Jack McConnell wasn’t terrible then they went off a cliff with their leaders, it’s almost like they self sabotaged with people like Johann Lamont, that bellend Murphy and then Dugdale and this current incumbent Leonard might possibly be their worst yet, just laughably shocking leaders.

Its little wonder Sturgeon can knock ten bells out of that lot she’s got literally nothing to beat.  

Edited by jack D and coke

9 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Are you kidding? Nicola Sturgeon will be in power of our banana republic for decades

Shite, of course, but I'd take that if it reflected the continuing democratic will of the scottish people.

We don't need saved from the SNP, whether you like them or not they have the best interests if the Scottish people at heart. We need saved from the tories.

1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Make up your mind. You keep switching your argument between after a yes vote and after independence. Of course the SNP will still be in power after a yes vote. After independence, I suspect that the party will gradually split up as their whole reason for being has been achieved. Anyway this is nothing to do with the GE

Edited by XB52

I saw a post about elections being like a bus station. You wouldn't just sit in the bus station cause there isn't one going right to your door. You'd pick the one that goes closest.

No party is perfect but has to SNP this general election.

Even the unionist parties have just given up trying to promote positives, there are precious few arguments for the uk other than to keep it for the unions sake.

Regardless of this, recent times have made it abundantly obvious that Scotland and England are going down different paths. What is for one is not agreed on by the other.

Time to go our separate ways. I hope we can be great neighbours and it is the shake up the whole of uk politics needs. Right now things are very broken.

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Shite, of course, but I'd take that if it reflected the continuing democratic will of the scottish people.

We don't need saved from the SNP, whether you like them or not they have the best interests if the Scottish people at heart. We need saved from the tories.

Their version of the best interests for the Scottish people. A majority of people don’t want to be dragged out of the UK but that’s what they want to do so not really in the best interests of those people. 

Brighton Jambo
34 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Make up your mind. You keep switching your argument between after a yes vote and after independence. Of course the SNP will still be in power after a yes vote. After independence, I suspect that the party will gradually split up as their whole reason for being has been achieved. Anyway this is nothing to do with the GE

Rubbish, the SNP have made another independence referendum the absolute central policy of their GE campaign so any discussion of what might happen in regards to that is valid for debate.  

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Despair of Corbyn. Now trying to clarify comments about free movement. His problem is that he doesn’t have a position on anything. Totally opaque. I wish I could vote for Labour but not with this idiot as leader.

Nick Boles is a dick but this from him on Corbyn is bang on: “He cares only for classes and factions and the struggle between abstract political forces.”

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

absolutely. The current tory leadership could do some irreparable damage. Well worse than they have already..

46 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Their version of the best interests for the Scottish people. A majority of people don’t want to be dragged out of the UK but that’s what they want to do so not really in the best interests of those people. 

Whose version were you expecting?

At least they care about the Scots, the government in Westminster don't. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I’d dispute this. They care about their own political ends. Big difference.

Brighton Jambo
4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Depends on your point of view.  My wife and I don’t want to be dragged out of UK.  Scottish government will do that and UK government will try to stop it.  So UK government is representing my preferences and cares and Scottish government isn’t.  You could say the same for all No voters.  

5 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Depends on your point of view.  My wife and I don’t want to be dragged out of UK.  Scottish government will do that and UK government will try to stop it.  So UK government is representing my preferences and cares and Scottish government isn’t.  You could say the same for all No voters.  

Westminster govern without a spare thought for us, **** that

19 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I’d dispute this. They care about their own political ends. Big difference.

You just described every political party, ever.

The difference is that the snp's political ends involve what they think is best for scotland. The Westminster tories couldn't care less and the Scottish ones just do what they're told.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
26 minutes ago, Smithee said:

You just described every political party, ever.

The difference is that the snp's political ends involve what they think is best for scotland. The Westminster tories couldn't care less and the Scottish ones just do what they're told.

I don’t think it’s a case of couldn’t care less (any more than most areas of the UK) but Scotland seems to have this odd idea that it deserves special attention when less than 10% of the UK population lives there

7 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I don’t think it’s a case of couldn’t care less (any more than most areas of the UK) but Scotland seems to have this odd idea that it deserves special attention when less than 10% of the UK population lives there

What a point of view that is. But hey, post Independence we'll be 100% of the population and that 100% will be able to chose who governs it.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, ri Alban said:

What a point of view that is. But hey, post Independence we'll be 100% of the population and that 100% will be able to chose who governs it.

Well yeah, if that ever happens you will. But last time it didn’t because a majority preferred to stay as part of the Union - which doesn’t owe you special favours when more people live in Yorkshire than Scotland.

8 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Well yeah, if that ever happens you will. But last time it didn’t because a majority preferred to stay as part of the Union - which doesn’t owe you special favours when more people live in Yorkshire than Scotland.

Which shows the union up for what it is and always has been. The population was about 4 to 1 back then. Now it's 11 to one. Some union.

Oh let me point out, that if the EU ref voting rules had applied to the 2014 ref Scotland would be independent.

A few questions for you if that's ok?

1. Do you agree that EU citizens should have barred from voting in the EUref?

2. Do u think their votes would have won remain the vote?

3. How would you feel if non Scots were barred from Indyref2?

Brighton! feel free to answer. 👍

I think overall the BBC for example is very good.

But one observation. We've had years of coverage of how spilt Labour is. But the likes of Philip Hammond, David Gaulke, Nick Boles (a key member of Cameron's inner circle) being pushed out hardly seems to be a big deal. 

Maybe because Boris underneath the Farage / Trump coverage is really the One Nation moderate. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Which shows the union up for what it is and always has been. The population was about 4 to 1 back then. Now it's 11 to one. Some union.

Oh let me point out, that if the EU ref voting rules had applied to the 2014 ref Scotland would be independent.

A few questions for you if that's ok?

1. Do you agree that EU citizens should have barred from voting in the EUref?

2. Do u think their votes would have won remain the vote?

3. How would you feel if non Scots were barred from Indyref2?

Brighton! feel free to answer. 👍

1) Yes.

2) Yes.

3) I’d think it was fair enough but unfortunately, non Scot is very difficult to define (and if you were doing that, you’d need to give a vote to all ex-pat Scots like me too).

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I think overall the BBC for example is very good.

But one observation. We've had years of coverage of how spilt Labour is. But the likes of Philip Hammond, David Gaulke, Nick Boles (a key member of Cameron's inner circle) being pushed out hardly seems to be a big deal. 

Maybe because Boris underneath the Farage / Trump coverage is really the One Nation moderate. 

The Tories do get off lightly. Although the inability of Corbyn’s weirdo supporters to show any self awareness is comedy.

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

1) Yes.

2) Yes.

3) I’d think it was fair enough but unfortunately, non Scot is very difficult to define (and if you were doing that, you’d need to give a vote to all ex-pat Scots like me too).

I like the way it is. The electorate! 

I just don't get the no referendum mantra. If the union think Scotland will vote no again, what are the scared of. We've had 3 GEs in 4 years. The Indyref was over 5 years ago and things have changed, to an extreme. Time to ask again. Call it a confirmation vote. 

Scotland are you sure you want to remain? Are you Positive? Nip, Nipsies, nae Nipsies back!