General Election 2019

Shanks said no

1 minute ago, RobboM said:

Nor the BBC

Of course this is a trivial incident and I do not believe for one moment that Boris Johnson was intending any disrespect at all by laying his wreath upside down BUT why on earth would the BBC look to deliberately cover up this tiny gaffe?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-bbc-uses-old-footage-20858947

Looking back at the treatment of likes of Michael Foot as Labour leader at Rembrance in the past the papers would be all over this today had Jeremy Corbyn done this. 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Justin Z

• dobmisterdobster

• Mikey1874

4 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Nor the BBC

Of course this is a trivial incident and I do not believe for one moment that Boris Johnson was intending any disrespect at all by laying his wreath upside down BUT why on earth would the BBC look to deliberately cover up this tiny gaffe?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-bbc-uses-old-footage-20858947

He didnt mean it. He's just a buffoon.

As far as the British/conservative Broadcasting Corporation goes though :rudi:

Edited by Pans Jambo

49 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Contracts for non existent ferries?

31 Oct 50p coins?

Brexit public awareness advertising campaign?

Just in the past few months

Criticised by some for not doing enough to prepare for a 'no deal brexit' and then criticised by other people for spending x amount on preparing for a 'no deal brexit', damned if they prepare and damned if they didn't do anything, in this situation it seems to me that there was nothing the government could do which wouldn't attract criticism from one section or another. 

The 50p coins are being melted down and the metal re-used, at no cost to the tax payer as the Royal Mint is bearing the cost of it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50215983

I'll give you the ferries fiasco tho.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Criticised by some for not doing enough to prepare for a 'no deal brexit' and then criticised by other people for spending x amount on preparing for a 'no deal brexit', damned if they prepare and damned if they didn't do anything, in this situation it seems to me that there was nothing the government could do which wouldn't attract criticism from one section or another. 

The 50p coins are being melted down and the metal re-used, at no cost to the tax payer as the Royal Mint is bearing the cost of it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50215983

I'll give you the ferries fiasco tho.

At no cost? Wasnt there an £11.5m cancellation fee for the contract?

1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

We should of course, as members of a democratic society, be able to criticise anything and everything that governments fail on, and demand better--local councils on up to the top.

What you're highlighting here though, and which is consistently on show, is one poster, quite representative of the whole who are always, always, willing to gloss over or flat out ignore the failings of their favourites, while amplifying any criticisms, legitimate or not, against those they don't like.

@Smithee's exasperated response unfortunately sums up the ultimate result. There's no sign they ever listen, or have any desire to give any issues an actual fair shake. It harms the entire system, this blinkeredness, because it prevents regular people like us from having a sensible discussion. Still, for the sake of the lurkers, pointing out the hypocrisy and letting it crumble under its own weight is the best that can be done.

I always try to remember there are many reading but few posting.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

On what, the ferries? 

If so read my post again, I said "I'll give you the ferries fiasco tho."

In other words I agreed that it cost the tax payer money.

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I believe that was a fake, or at least a retracted tweet from Jon Snow
Of course if the Royal Mint bears the cost then they tooare paid for by the tax payer .... unless they mint some coins to cover the cost 😉

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

On what, the ferries? 

If so read my post again, I said "I'll give you the ferries fiasco tho."

In other words I agreed that it cost the tax payer money.

No, on the coins

1 minute ago, RobboM said:

I believe that was a fake, or at least a retracted tweet from Jon Snow
Of course if the Royal Mint bears the cost then they tooare paid for by the tax payer .... unless they mint some coins to cover the cost 😉

Isn't the royal mint a private company?

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Isn't the royal mint a private company?

The Royal Mint is a government owned company. We are committed to providing a financial return to the UK government in line with agreed targets.

The Royal Mint's Chief Executive is Anne Jessopp.

With more than 1,000 years of experience, The Royal Mint is planning for organic growth and sustainable profits.

https://www.royalmint.com/aboutus

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The Royal Mint is a government owned company. We are committed to providing a financial return to the UK government in line with agreed targets.

The Royal Mint's Chief Executive is Anne Jessopp.

With more than 1,000 years of experience, The Royal Mint is planning for organic growth and sustainable profits.

https://www.royalmint.com/aboutus

👍

Cheers

10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Was it as much as the £144m for the Sick Kids fiasco?

Farage announces the Brexit Party will not stand in 317 Tory seats.

Why?

It is inconceivable that even a successful Tory electon result will ensure that a final agreement wih the EU isreached by the timetable in their half baked Withdrawl agreement. Johnson is not going to ask for an extension (and the termss of the Withdrawal Agreement do not allow for a majority on the House of Commons to ask for one either). Farage therefore believes Boris Johnson is going for the No Deal crash out Brexit he craves.

It may be hard to imagine but British politics just got even shittier

Edited by RobboM

dobmisterdobster

Farage is finally seeing sense.

Carpeting the entire country with Brexit Party candidates isn't a smart idea.

Just target areas where they could have the best chance of success.

5 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Farage is finally seeing sense.

Carpeting the entire country with Brexit Party candidates isn't a smart idea.

Just target areas where they could have the best chance of success.

Makes sense.  Remain parties doing that in some areas to engineer tactical voting.

This deal could be curtains for comrate Corbyn and co.

Edited by frankblack

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

You are giving a damn good impression if you aren't.

I'm right behind Scottish independence but I'll say it again, I dont particularly care for the snp or their authoritarian approach. 

I've voted both for and against them in my life and I'll probably vote for them as long as they're the biggest independence wagon available, but I'm not SNP and I dont agree with everything they do. After independence I won't go near them.

17 minutes ago, Smithee said:

👍

Cheers

Even if it were to have cost the tax payer, seeing as it's 'government owned' you can bet there will be some creative accounting to make it look like it didn't cost the tax payer, I'm not saying that this is what will happen but..............

It is actually sickening that Farage and Johnson will unite to ensure the UK faces a hard/no deal brexit. How people can defend this rotten system is beyond me. 

7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'm right behind Scottish independence but I'll say it again, I dont particularly care for the snp or their authoritarian approach. 

I've voted both for and against them in my life and I'll probably vote for them as long as they're the biggest independence wagon available, but I'm not SNP and I dont agree with everything they do. After independence I won't go near them.

Oh weird, the damn good impression you're actually giving is that you're not a partisan hack.

Who'da thunk it, eh?

3 minutes ago, jambogaza said:

It is actually sickening that Farage and Johnson will unite to ensure the UK faces a hard/no deal brexit. How people can defend this rotten system is beyond me. 

Is it ok for remain minded parties to unite to try and stop brexit then?

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Is it ok for remain minded parties to unite to try and stop brexit then?

Looking at it from a scottish point of view tbh. We didn't vote for brexit and won't vote for Farage or Johnson yet that is exactly what we will get. Rotten. 

The Brexit Party might actually split the Leave vote for the marginal seats they are targeting and allow Remain parties to target Tory Marginals.

Not sure really if this is the massive boost to the Tories as I had first thought

Farage has apparently "believed " Johnson's guff about not negotiating the Trade Deal after end of 2020 given that 10 months seems ambitious given that the Canada EU deal took 5 years.

Not like Johnson has reneged on promises though eh?

15 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Oh weird, the damn good impression you're actually giving is that you're not a partisan hack.

Who'da thunk it, eh?

968full-bill-hicks:-relentless-screensho

8 minutes ago, jambogaza said:

Looking at it from a scottish point of view tbh. We didn't vote for brexit and won't vote for Farage or Johnson yet that is exactly what we will get. Rotten. 

When was the last time that the Scottish electorate voted for a Scottish MP that became PM?   Even Gordon Brown never achieved that.    

Rotten as it may be, it's been that way for as long as I can remember, that's the way the system works.

9 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Yeh, Dan Walker said this morning that they had had a 'technical issue' over the footage.

Of course they did.

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yeh, Dan Walker said this morning that they had had a 'technical issue' over the footage.

Of course they did.

A technical issue that caused them to accidentally go digging into three year old archives :lol:

The contempt for our intelligence is palpable.

31 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

When was the last time that the Scottish electorate voted for a Scottish MP that became PM?   Even Gordon Brown never achieved that.    

Rotten as it may be, it's been that way for as long as I can remember, that's the way the system works.

You are relaxed about it, fair enough. I'm not, though. Scotland should be able to elect the government it wants to represent it on serious issues, such as our relationship with the EU. Not Farage and Johnson (who we definitely won't elect) who will aggressively take forward an issue that we voted against. To me, that's a democratic outrage. But that's just my opinion. 

Edited by jambogaza

Remember, since the Brexit party launched its Generl Election stance they have dropped several candidates for reasons including

- comes from the star Sirius and that aliens are already working with world governments

- "abhorrent" involvement with a Luftwaffe-themed band

- dropped because he expressed his opinion on having an electoral alliance with the Conservatives.

- suggested that animal testing should be carried out on ‘remainers’.

Maybe the 320 candidates being dropped simply turned out to be worse?

An expected move from Farage, but what disappoints me is that Boris appears to be indicating that he won't be striking a trade deal with regulatory alignment with the the EU. The EU has for a long time been much stronger on consumer protection, the reduction of harmful chemicals, food labelling etc. than other blocs/countries and I'd hate to think that we're going to end up adopting a US approach where cash is king and consumer protection and rights is a secondary consideration.

Edited by redjambo

42 minutes ago, Costanza said:

The Brexit Party might actually split the Leave vote for the marginal seats they are targeting and allow Remain parties to target Tory Marginals.

Not sure really if this is the massive boost to the Tories as I had first thought

Farage has apparently "believed " Johnson's guff about not negotiating the Trade Deal after end of 2020 given that 10 months seems ambitious given that the Canada EU deal took 5 years.

Not like Johnson has reneged on promises though eh?

It helps Remain parties including Labour put focus on the narrow free market Brexit deal Boris and Farage may be coming to agree on. Associated together now. 

It does appear to help the Tories somewhat. 

But it should also motivate Labour and the LibDems. 

9 hours ago, frankblack said:

Not suppressed but refused to allow one.

The details already in the public domain show a staggering level of incompetence at the expense of the public purse.

This is a party that aspires to be independent  and have full fiscal control! :rofl:

Is this not good enough then? https://www.scotsman.com/news/inquiry-into-failings-at-new-sick-kids-and-glasgow-super-hospital-1-5006114

Who are staggeringly incompetent here and what does this incompetence entail?

23 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

A technical issue that caused them to accidentally go digging into three year old archives :lol:

The contempt for our intelligence is palpable.

Not that the episode gets my goat at all really, but these things can happen very easily. You might be in the news room putting your article together and a colleague comes in and speaks to you about something extremely interesting. By the time they've left you find that, while you've been talking, your fingers have been tapping away at your computer searching for and retrieving old footage to use for your news item instead of what you planned to use. Perhaps we should therefore give them the benefit of the doubt.

6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Not that the episode gets my goat at all really, but these things can happen very easily. You might be in the news room putting your article together and a colleague comes in and speaks to you about something extremely interesting. By the time they've left you find that, while you've been talking, your fingers have been tapping away at your computer searching for and retrieving old footage to use for your news item instead of what you planned to use. Perhaps we should therefore give them the benefit of the doubt.

:Aye:

8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

That's a stretch Red! 🙂

It was using the search term "Boris Johnson at the cenotaph with a wreath the right way up" that was the giveaway 😉

4 minutes ago, RobboM said:

That's a stretch Red! 🙂

It was using the search term "Boris Johnson at the cenotaph with a wreath the right way up" that was the giveaway 😉

:D

14 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Seem to happen very easily at the BBC. 

this is a good one from India except the BBC claim it's Libya. 

they would struggle to get their footage mixed up here though because they didn't have anybody on the ground at the time.

The Nick Robinson edit on Salmond and the Orgreave reverse sequencing are not coincidences either. 

43 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Good stuff, I wish my nervous tics were so productive :lol:

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Farage is an awful individual and Johnson is just Johnson. It’s incredible that those pair can be anywhere near the top of UK politics.

But Labour has no position on Brexit and it has no position on it because it has no bollocks. “We’ll negotiate a new deal (hopefully) and then have a referendum” is not a position - it’s a way of washing your hands and avoiding the question, and it won’t win votes.

Labour should have been in a position to dominate this election. Instead, the only people who really like them are the weirdos who jump around singing ‘Oh Jeremy Corbyn.’ Everyone else is indifferent at best.

Personally I’m going to vote Green. They’re not up to government, clearly, but the climate is the biggest issue going. And aside from that, all three main parties can **** right off.

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Another thing not to be forgotten here is that if Corbyn had done what Johnson did, which let's admit, was a silly mistake and no one really ought to care--well, if it was Corbyn, the red tops would be all over it like a rash.

How do we know this?

corbyn.thumb.png.db2f9d4448159c8cc6e95d6941b64021.png

It's never-ending.

jambos are go!

Wee Nicola is asking folk to vote SNP as the best way to stop a UK Brexit . But she will eventually  claim such a vote is also   support for Scottish Independence .  Am I right about that sleight of hand?

1 minute ago, jambos are go! said:

Wee Nicola is asking folk to vote SNP as the best way to stop a UK Brexit . But she will eventually  claim such a vote is also   support for Scottish Independence .  Am I right about that sleight of hand?

She's always been 100% clear that Scotland ought to be able to make its own decision on Brexit, and since the Westminster has not respected the Sewel convention and sovereignty of the Scottish populace and parliament, the only way for Scotland to make that decision is to be independent. You are right about her statement; I take issue with the claim it is "sleight of hand".