General Election 2019

Shanks said no

Jambo, Goodbye
2 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

That's 31.5K a year! :lol:

Isn't it 12.5K tax free then the rest at 19/20% so roughly 1700 paid in tax (plus slightly higher NI contributions) but yes a bit more wouldn't go amiss tbf. 20 quid pays food for a family of four for a day.

Yeah you're right,  for some reason I was assuming they were below the 12.5k. My math was def wrong. 

I agree,  20 quid extra a week (for many) shouldn't be sniffed at. 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Justin Z

• dobmisterdobster

• Mikey1874

10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

You obviously didn't hear her last week on the BBC then, talking a complete load of pish and plain downright lies.

She told Maxine Croxall in an interview that the Lib Dems are the only remain party in Scotland, that the SNP campaigned for both remain & leave during the EU ref and only joined the remain side AFTER the EU referendum result was announced, and like a true politician she said all of this with a straight face.

She's a loon like all Lib Dems. Liars too. 

Jambo, Goodbye
Just now, Roxy Hearts said:

I've long accepted that they are all liars. It's about which liar tells the lies you like the most 😁

4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

The Fib Dems. 

11 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

I've long accepted that they are all liars. It's about which liar tells the lies you like the most 😁

Libdem candidate steps aside for the greens (I think?) Libdems field another Libdem. Seems it's only greens and the Welsh mob who've to stand aside for them. Another candidate is about to stand aside but the Libdems will put someone else in. He says he'll stand but asks for the constituency to vote labour.

Muppets.

Edited by ri Alban

Living wage (and min wage) rise.

Income tax threshold gets increased.

Landlords put rents up to match.

Rinse and repeat.

Property makes more money per annum as income.

Makes property values rise.

People can't afford property.

Housing benefit and help to buy is money from general taxation given to landlords and property sellers to prop up the market. 

If the rental market was properly regulated, we'd not have to keep giving people more money and feeding the cycle of bullshit.

If we truly had a free market economy, housing benefit and help to buy and min wage and living wage wouldn't exist, property prices and rents would fall to what the market could actually bear.

Edited by Cade

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

Rinse and repeat.

Housing benefit and help to buy is money from general taxation given to landlords and property sellers to prop up the market. 

If the rental market was properly regulated, we'd not have to keep giving people more money and feeding the cycle of bullshit.

If we truly had a free market economy, housing benefit and help to buy and min wage and living wage wouldn't exist, property prices and rents would fall to what the market could actually bear.

Selling the cooncil hoose stock was the biggest crime of the last century.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s a good way of putting things tbh.
A position that a lot of people would struggle to defend. 

It’s the same really as this once in a generation nonsense. A WM government or PM can pretty much say whatever it likes and you’ve just to shrug it off and never think about holding them to it whereas us daft scotch lot will maybe get a chance to pipe up in another 25 years whether we keep voting for it or not. They’ll decide :lol: 
Add in the the fact hardly any of the promises have been kept and was the first time we really got to discuss this future in over 300 years too. But oh no that’s enough jock, get back in your box now and we’ll maybe let you talk about it again in 25-30 years. 
As others point out with the likes of fresh water and all our resources they ain’t for letting go. 

:greatpost:

40 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

:clap::clap::clap: Surely in the running for the post of the year award.

1 hour ago, dobmisterdobster said:

I have worked at McDonald's for a brief period.

I didn't expect to earn a decent living doing fast food work.

Working a full time job should give you enough income to live a decent life.

The tories don't just have contempt for the unemployed, they have contempt for those in the wrong type of employment.

57 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Aye because all parties tell the truth, tbh bud ive lost all patience with our politics in the UK.

dobmisterdobster
1 hour ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

Nobody mentioned a decent living, just breaking even and having a life. 

If that counts as decent though,  it's fair enough imo. 

You got something wrong further up the thread,  just to remind you that the workers must be "deluded" as you put it. 

Only the ones who demand 15/hour which isn't many of them.

I do agree with the worker you quoted. £8/hour is not enough if you work in London.

dobmisterdobster

Everyone and their nan knows the Lib Dems are going to put Corbyn in power for a price.

That's why they are having trouble in Tory areas.

23 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Aye because all parties tell the truth, tbh bud ive lost all patience with our politics in the UK.

No one can fault you that! But putting them all on equal footing, as if they're all the same, just because they all aren't truthful 100% of the time is to let the worst of the lot off. It's exactly what the worst want you to do, in all honesty.

dobmisterdobster
3 hours ago, Cade said:

Rinse and repeat.

This has already been tried in several American cities.

Long story short. It doesn't work and rents are higher than ever.

17 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

This has already been tried in several American cities.

Long story short. It doesn't work and rents are higher than ever.

There is a  need to put rent controls now, the housing benefit bill is extortionate mainly from greedy landlords... see them try to get tenants who are just working , they wont. They will need to accept the rent caps.

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Selling the cooncil hoose stock was the biggest crime of the last century.

47 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

There is a  need to put rent controls now, the housing benefit bill is extortionate mainly from greedy landlords... see them try to get tenants who are just working , they wont. They will need to accept the rent caps.

Councils are paying private landlords £000s (probably mainly paid by housing benefit) for ex council houses as temporary accommodation for homeless people. Because there aren't enough Council houses. 

dobmisterdobster
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

The Democrats in the USA have tried this in cities like New York and Chicago to stop so-called gentrification.

Failed miserably.

37 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

The Democrats in the USA have tried this in cities like New York and Chicago to stop so-called gentrification.

Failed miserably.

And in Germany it works great. What's your point?

Not an expert, but I believe what is often seen when rent caps are introduced is that landlords will react beforehand with over-inflated prices and then will periodically increase the amount when allowed. Means the entire market increases exponentially in the first few years. 

This might be a basic way to view it but is it not largely down to just supply and demand? House prices and in turn rental prices are a result of developers drip-feeding new housing stock on the market and sitting on land for prolonged periods of time (see Western Harbour). A mechanism to encourage more building is what is needed but with current practices and NIMBY attitude of Edinburgh residents towards new developments or infrastructure change, it's difficult to see a workable solution.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, Toggie88 said:

Not an expert, but I believe what is often seen when rent caps are introduced is that landlords will react beforehand with over-inflated prices and then will periodically increase the amount when allowed. Means the entire market increases exponentially in the first few years. 

This might be a basic way to view it but is it not largely down to just supply and demand? House prices and in turn rental prices are a result of developers drip-feeding new housing stock on the market and sitting on land for prolonged periods of time (see Western Harbour). A mechanism to encourage more building is what is needed but with current practices and NIMBY attitude of Edinburgh residents towards new developments or infrastructure change, it's difficult to see a workable solution.

The demand for rentals is largely due to the cost of buying. The way I see it, the government should be applying some very severe tax hits to people with second homes or more than one property. 

7 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The demand for rentals is largely due to the cost of buying. The way I see it, the government should be applying some very severe tax hits to people with second homes or more than one property. 

Yes, second property tax would help reduce cost of buying but would rents not also increase as a result of increase cost of being a private landlord? 

Not dismissing your suggestion at all, genuinely interested. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, Toggie88 said:

Yes, second property tax would help reduce cost of buying but would rents not also increase as a result of increase cost of being a private landlord? 

Not dismissing your suggestion at all, genuinely interested. 

If it was easier to buy, the rental market would not be so competitive (in theory anyway). The current system is designed to let a minority hog a disproportionate share of the housing market

Trapper John McIntyre

Meanwhile on Planet SNP....

SNP MP David Linden on the Andrew Neil show. Car crash TV at its best. When he was told that if Scotland used the pound outside a currency union, it couldn't print it's own currency, he said: "that's not entirely true" "we already use English and Scottish notes here"

Trapper John McIntyre

Neil: Scotland's fiscal deficit is 7%, EU says it can't be above 3%, how do you save? 

SNP: Getting rid of nuclear weapons

Neil: How much does that save?

SNP: Er, lots

Neil: So you'd close Rosyth and lose thousands of jobs in defence

SNP:  No, we'd spend the savings on defence

Neil:  Eh?

On 10/11/2019 at 21:32, frankblack said:

It doesn't bother me.

I am more bothered by the SNP suppressing an official enquiry into the Sick Kids fiasco and the upcoming court case.

Apologies for being late to this but ‘It doesn’t bother me’ stands tallest as everything that’s wrong and corrupt about politics in this country. You honestly can’t really mean that?

Apathy and a lack of engagement and accountability is ‘exactly’ why charlatans of all political persuasions are ruining our lives. Your second statement may be true, I honestly don’t know, but if you wash your hands of it then how can you change anything?

You normally come across as a reasoned poster but that statement is horrifying. 

55 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Neil: Scotland's fiscal deficit is 7%, EU says it can't be above 3%, how do you save? 

SNP: Getting rid of nuclear weapons

Neil: How much does that save?

SNP: Er, lots

Neil: So you'd close Rosyth and lose thousands of jobs in defence

SNP:  No, we'd spend the savings on defence

Neil:  Eh?

What's the UK's fiscal deficit? I wouldn't tell that Uncle Tom, Neil anything. Hope the SNP fudge and blether mince to all these Stockholm Syndrome goons. 

Hasn't been a connection between Rosyth and nuclear weapons since the 90's?

However as someone employed in the defence industry I find any claim that the SNP would spend money on defence laughable.

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, EC_Hearts said:

However as someone employed in the defence industry I find any claim that the SNP would spend money on defence laughable.

Well I mean if you work in that sector then you must know, I mean Scotland has no army atm doesn’t it and the SNP probably hate you and armies so that’s that settled. Cheers for that mate👍🏼
We’re a sitting duck then aren’t we. We’ll get invaded by somebody it’s a nap. 
I mean the SNP will run Scotland for ever and ever and ever and ever too. 
Add that to Trippers posts about how rubbish Scotland is and I’m absolutely beside myself here. 
 :facepalm:

11 minutes ago, EC_Hearts said:

That's right. A self governing Scotland won't have any defence. No army, navy or air force. We will put them all with the currency and behind the border wall. We can all live in peace eating grass and drinking water and defend ourselves with sticks and shouting at people we don't like. 

Maybe I didn't explain myself too well beforehand. Working for a defence company means you are subjected to visits from politicians of all parties particularly those in power, however the current Scottish Government are the exception to the rule. Whilst the military are a major customer the technology developed in Edinburgh does have a purpose in civilian markets as well however the Scottish government appear to show no interest whatsoever.

Its quite amazing how many clever, inventive and entertaining ways there are to say “Im Scottish and Scotland is SHITE”.

The Real Maroonblood
27 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

This thread has gone strangely quiet of late...

Stop posting pish and it might change.

1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

Its quite amazing how many clever, inventive and entertaining ways there are to say “Im Scottish and Scotland is SHITE”.

I'm certainly not suggesting that. I'm a proud Scotsman and proud of the fact that some of the Avionics Technology developed in Edinburgh is up there with the best in the world. Disappointed that the Scottish government don't show any interest - you bet

Dusk_Till_Dawn
7 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

That interview was abysmal though mate

jack D and coke
Just now, EC_Hearts said:

I'm certainly not suggesting that. I'm a proud Scotsman and proud of the fact that some of the Avionics Technology developed in Edinburgh is up there with the best in the world. Disappointed that the Scottish government don't show any interest - you bet

That’s disappointing to hear definitely. 
Sorry I lumped you in with that other 🤡👍🏼

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Well the SNP have committed to the NATO target of spending 2% of GDP on defence. 

Yeah I’d seen that commitment before. 
Id like to think they’d invest and support the industries mentioned by EC Hearts too. 
Some amazing tech comes from military. 

8 hours ago, Justin Z said:

No one can fault you that! But putting them all on equal footing, as if they're all the same, just because they all aren't truthful 100% of the time is to let the worst of the lot off. It's exactly what the worst want you to do, in all honesty.

So let's just accept it and vote for those who lie in a way that suits your political outlook.

Progressive stuff.

35 minutes ago, EC_Hearts said:

Maybe I didn't explain myself too well beforehand. Working for a defence company means you are subjected to visits from politicians of all parties particularly those in power, however the current Scottish Government are the exception to the rule. Whilst the military are a major customer the technology developed in Edinburgh does have a purpose in civilian markets as well however the Scottish government appear to show no interest whatsoever.

Cheers EC. The issue is that we don't know what the government would be until after a Scottish General Election. That's the whole point. We would vote for policies that would best suit our needs and they would decide which companies are deserving of our taxes. Maybe the company you work are anti SNP or Scottish Government. I don't know why they wouldn't promote your business. 

13 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Well the SNP have committed to the NATO target of spending 2% of GDP on defence. 

Yay 

Hurray for more weapons to .........what ?

Just now, Zlatanable said:

Are you watching BBC Scotland Debate Night? #BBCDN

About to start on BBC Scotland. 

Don't watch BBC news or political programmes. Too insulting. 

jack D and coke
11 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Having watched David Linden (SNP) on The Andrew Neil Show, the issue is- The SNP are saying they would cut spending in an indy Scotland by not having Trident. (Bairns not Bombs etc)

But the actual reality on the ground is The SNP would actually spend a lot of money on the site, re-purposing it it all, so the saving would not be that much.

So in effect, there is not that much saving to be made, if SNP are committed to the  2% NATO spending pledge. (And I highly doubt the decommissioning of Faslane will be quick, easy, or cheap)

Think it’s all guesswork with regards who’d be on the hook for faslane. Be a split of sorts, like a lot of things. 
It wouldn’t be an overnight thing deciding what happens with it for starters. Years sorting that one.