Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

Guest ToqueJambo
6 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

League Cup last season, we were bloody lucky to get that far. The cock up with the player registration should have cost us 3 points but that would have meant the game against Inverness was a dead rubber for TV purposes, therefore they deducted us 2 giving us the chance to qualify. We struggled at Dunfermline, convinced against Motherwell and got well and truly emptied by Celtic.

Scottish Cup was the easiest run you could get. Apart from livi, we got the weakest team in the hat in every round. Still got to beat them but you expect to be winning those games. 

For or a team with our wage bill we should be closely matching Aberdeen not finishing behind Killie with an inferior wage bill and behind Hibs. 

4-0 against Celtic was 18 months ago. What did we get for it, 3 points. Points!!!!! The same as Hibs got in 1973 for beating us 7-0 and we take the pi$$ out of them for that. Are we still going to be going on about this in 40 years???? Winning at ER. Embarrassing that as a club our record there in the Budge era is truly woeful. I’ve been fortunate enough to have witnessed us ripping the pi$$ out of them there at will yet we are now claiming one victory in 5 years there as some sort of standard to accept. Lets also not forget our loss at home to them. Let’s also talk about Aberdeen. Their record at Tynecastle is as crap as ours is at Pitoddrie. We can hardly claim it’s besting them. Yet you seem to think that an even record against them, one victory at ER and a win against Celtic are reasons to keep a manager. What about getting thumped 5-0 at Livi and failing to beat them in the league last season, losing at home to Dundee, struggling at home against teams like St Midden or Hamilton because we had no plan B to break down a team that sits in. And there is our problem, his tactics without one player struggles to break down a team that sits in. We lose Naismith again this season and we will struggle again. 

I agree that any fan who wants the team to lose is no fan that I want following the team. I understand the frustrations that they have but wanting the team to lose, no thanks. 

Sorry but I fail to get excited about an upcoming season where I see a squad that still has glaring deficiencies that he will still not fix. We are crying out for a penalty box poacher and a driving force in midfield. They have been needed for a long time but it’s not been resolved. His stubborn blind faith in his system and lack of Plan B will be our undoing yet again this season.

You might have a point if his plan B hadn't earned a win yesterday. Assuming what you mean by a Plan B is changing things around to get a result during a game.

As for the rest, this trend from some towards describing any cup run under Levein as "lucky" really grinds my gears. Look back at any of our cup runs and there are games we squeaked through by the skin of our teeth against teams we should have put away easily. It's games like that that make the cup the cup. People like you are sucking the joy out of everything that makes football great - the whole unpredictability of it all.

Edited by ToqueJambo

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

Seymour M Hersh
6 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Oh right it was all the fans fault - how could I forget!  😂

Your words not mine but as I suspect you forget your name every evening so it's not a surprise. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

He was 8 mins away from walking or the sack. 

There is no way even he could have the brass neck to carry on after giving Cathro the bullet for failing in the same competition. 

Don’t you believe it.

Flappy Hands

I think we have a strong enough squad to be finishing 3rd, 4th at worst.  I don't believe we have the Manager or coaching staff to do that though. 

The last 2 seasons have been like watching a casual game of football manager. Pick your players, choose the formation and let them get on with it. 

I would love to see a new age/ forward thinking coach/manager at our club. 

Imagine what the likes of Steve Clark could do with our resources. 

Getintaethem

Unfortunately I see no reason for optimism this season.  We've failed to address several glaring issues from last season.  Firstly the lack of firepower.  Walker and Washington may give us some creaticity and workrate, but who's going to consistently put the ball in the net?  Our centre midfield is weak and nothing has been done to strengthen the goalkeeper position.

We're far to slow and deliberate with our build up play, players taking too many touches and giving opponents time to organise.  Our closest rivals in terms of size of club (Aberdeen) have secured Bryson, a player we wanted.  Very few of our players are fully up to speed for next weeks league opener.

I hope I'm wrong, but to me, we look like a team who may struggle to make top six, never mind qualify for Europe.  

I'll be surprised if Levien sees out the season.

Guest ToqueJambo
7 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I was thinking the same about the repetitive Levein excuse makers such as yourself! 👍

Why would you think I'm making excuses for Levein? He's not even in my top 5 favourite Hearts managers. I just don't think our squad is anywhere near as bad as some are making out and I don't think scraping past teams in the LC in July is any more indication of how this season will go than humping teams in the LC in July was last season.

I just think Levein is a safer pair of hands for this - his last season as a football manager probably - than risking everything by changing manager after the season has started for  a Heckingbottom or the Killie guy or a Tommy Wright who's good for a couple of seasons then rubbish. I also think the work he's doing behind the scenes in the rest of the club in terms of bringing through young players is excellent.

Levein is gone at the end of this season. The you can move on to slagging off the next guy 24/7. My approach is to separate the club from the manager and support the team no matter who's in charge. Apart from Tommy McLean. Couldn't stand him.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

While Neilson was not a bad manager for Hearts, let’s not pretend the type of football we played under him shortly after coming up wasn’t pretty shit at times. 

We played winning football most of the time. It was good.

Flappy Hands
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Why would you think I'm making excuses for Levein? He's not even in my top 5 favourite Hearts managers. I just don't think our squad is anywhere near as bad as some are making out and I don't think scraping past teams in the LC in July is any more indication of how this season will go than humping teams in the LC in July was last season.

I just think Levein is a safer pair of hands for this - his last season as a football manager probably - than risking everything by changing manager after the season has started for  a Heckingbottom or the Killie guy or a Tommy Wright who's good for a couple of seasons then rubbish. I also think the work he's doing behind the scenes in the rest of the club in terms of bringing through young players is excellent.

Levein is gone at the end of this season. The you can move on to slagging off the next guy 24/7.

I agree with this, He seems to be very good with the youth side of things and I'd be happy to have him in control of our defence. Anything past the defence though.. Nut. 

Do we have a striking coach? It certainly doesn't look like it. It might be worth getting someone in who was a compulsive goal scorer. Let him train the strikers and look for new ones. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Flappy Hands said:

I agree with this, He seems to be very good with the youth side of things and I'd be happy to have him in control of our defence. Anything past the defence though.. Nut. 

Do we have a striking coach? It certainly doesn't look like it. It might be worth getting someone in who was a compulsive goal scorer. Let him train the strikers and look for new ones. 

Not since Robbo I think. We need more of a shooting coach I think. My vote is Rudi.

Maroon Sailor

The League Cup is as unpredictable as any cup ?

2016 Celtic

2017 Celtic

2018 Celtic

Well at least it's less predictable than the Scottish Cup

2017 Celtic

2018 Celtic

2019 Celtic

Flappy Hands
15 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Not since Robbo I think. We need more of a shooting coach I think. My vote is Rudi.

Striking and shooting is more or less the same thing lol

But yeah, If we don't have one, why the hell not? 

Seems a strange one to me. 

As much as Rudi had a great left peg and an eye for goal, i'm not sure he's the answer to that one. I'd prefer an ex centre forward that knows the movement, runs to make etc. 

I tell you what though, we might already have someone at the club ideal for the role. 

Naismith!

Can't expect him to do that the now while he's still playing, but it would be an ideal role for him before moving up to being a full on coach and possible manager. 

Edited by Flappy Hands

Guest ToqueJambo
8 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

So the grand plan for HMFC crumbled when Neilson left - a manager who was a total failure in a lower league down south and one on charge of a team who could not beat East Fife at home!

Aye right!!

It's good you bring up Neilson. A guy in his first manager job did much better than the current guy with a CV that includes top flight Scotland, English and international experience.

Maybe the folk pinning all their hopes on a new manager need a reality check that for Hearts to have a good season it takes a lot of things to come together - a decent tactical manager who can motivate sure but also our rivals slipping up a bit and most if not all of our best players staying injury-free and on form. Last season could well have panned out that way without the injuries.

The manager obviously makes a difference - especially someone who can get the best out of average players, something I think Levein is inconsistent at - but it's still a total lottery with no guarantees. Doddie - first job, within a whisker of a league and cup double and a post-width of a European semi. Tommy McLean, experienced, next big thing in Scottish football management - dire. Joe Jordon - big reputation as up and coming coach, big name - ultimately a disappointment. Only JJ is probably the best template - ex-Hearts and consistently succeeded in previous jobs in Scotland albeit at a lower level. I see no-one like that around. Everyone else is a risk. Probably the lowest risk after that is a Doddie- or Neilson-style appointment from within.

Guest ToqueJambo
23 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

Striking and shooting is more or less the same thing lol

But yeah, If we don't have one, why the hell not? 

Seems a strange one to me. 

As much as Rudi had a great left peg and an eye for goal, i'm not sure he's the answer to that one. I'd prefer an ex centre forward that knows the movement, runs to make etc. 

I tell you what though, we might already have someone at the club ideal for the role. 

Naismith!

Can't expect him to do that the now while he's still playing, but it would be an ideal role for him before moving up to being a full on coach and possible manager. 

I don't know. Some of the sclaffs yesterday were embarrassing! I agree a striker coach would be good though. One of many reasons I think Robbo could be a good next manager for us after this season.

Flappy Hands
17 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I don't know. Some of the sclaffs yesterday were embarrassing! I agree a striker coach would be good though. One of many reasons I think Robbo could be a good next manager for us after this season.

Nah, We've already had Robbo as a manager. 

I think we need to look further/ think outside the box. 

We need refreshed. 

We need new ideas, We're stale as ****. 

Edited by Flappy Hands

merseyjambo
2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

You might have a point if his plan B hadn't earned a win yesterday. Assuming what you mean by a Plan B is changing things around to get a result during a game.

As for the rest, this trend from some towards describing any cup run under Levein as "lucky" really grinds my gears. Look back at any of our cup runs and there are games we squeaked through by the skin of our teeth against teams we should have put away easily. It's games like that that make the cup the cup. People like you are sucking the joy out of everything that makes football great - the whole unpredictability of it all.

All he did last night was swap like for like last night. No massive change of tactics. We scored from a corner and broken play from a set piece where our central defender was still in and around box, hardly a master tactical stroke. What exactly did he do to pull his nuts out the fire.

With regard your comment about the cup run, read what I said properly. I didn’t say it was lucky. What I said was that other than Livi all the teams we drew were the weakest teams in the draw and as I said you still have to beat them but they they were teams you would expect to tuck away. 

merseyjambo
17 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Typical short sighted mentality. 

Legend though he is, Robbo should be nowhere near our next managers position 

Problem with a lot of Hearts fans is that they want someone who had a connection to the club to be manager. We need to be thinking outside the box. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, merseyjambo said:

Typical short sighted mentality. 

Legend though he is, Robbo should be nowhere near our next managers position 

Problem with a lot of Hearts fans is that they want someone who had a connection to the club to be manager. We need to be thinking outside the box. 

Like Killie and Hibs. Let's see how that goes. Freedman was a good shout I thought. Cathro and Neilson were certainly both out of the box, Cathro especially! Even Levein getting the job was out of left field! I don't think out of the box thinking is a problem at Hearts. It's just hiring a successful manager is a total lottery no matter how simple people make it sound on here.

2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Your words not mine but as I suspect you forget your name every evening so it's not a surprise. 

😂😂😂

When they resort to the personal crap you know they are losing the argument.

Flappy Hands

I think we may of had someone to take us forward but he was pumped out the door for whatever reason. 

Found his way to Sunderland. 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

All he did last night was swap like for like last night. No massive change of tactics. We scored from a corner and broken play from a set piece where our central defender was still in and around box, hardly a master tactical stroke. What exactly did he do to pull his nuts out the fire.

With regard your comment about the cup run, read what I said properly. I didn’t say it was lucky. What I said was that other than Livi all the teams we drew were the weakest teams in the draw and as I said you still have to beat them but they they were teams you would expect to tuck away. 

He made the right subs and positional changes at the right time, even if it was a last throw of the dice type thing. Listen I don't think Levein is a tactical genius by any stretch and he's a bit set in his ways but he's capable of doing very good things, just wish he would do them more often.

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Flappy Hands said:

I think we may of had someone to take us forward but he was pumped out the door for whatever reason. 

Could be back. Levein obviously rated him as he wouldn't have appointed him as the planned next in line after Neilson otherwise. Not sure he left for football reasons.

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Levein is gone at the end of this season. The you can move on to slagging off the next guy 24/7. My approach is to separate the club from the manager and support the team no matter who's in charge. Apart from Tommy McLean. Couldn't stand him.

Slagging the next guy 24/7???

You’re losing the plot!  😂😂😂

Flappy Hands
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Could be back. Levein obviously rated him as he wouldn't have appointed him as the planned next in line after Neilson otherwise. Not sure he left for football reasons.

I don't think he left to be fair. If he was pushed out, he won't be coming back under the current regime. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Slagging the next guy 24/7???

You’re losing the plot!  😂😂😂

I think it's fair to say as long as Levein is at Hearts in any capacity any manager who joins will get it tight form some the moment he loses his first game. Don't you?

Guest ToqueJambo

I don't think he left to be fair. If he was pushed out, he won't be coming back under the current regime. 

No idea, but there were rumours.

Flappy Hands

No idea, but there were rumours.

Yeah, it's a shame because he's obviously a good young manager. 

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I think it's fair to say as long as Levein is at Hearts in any capacity any manager who joins will get it tight form some the moment he loses his first game. Don't you?

No

3 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

No chance Jack Ross will come back as long as Levein is at Hearts.

Guest ToqueJambo

Yeah, it's a shame because he's obviously a good young manager. 

It's another reason I don't get why Levein having a say in who our next manager is is a problem, or the idea that it could be Daly, McPhee, Kirk or someone else from within the club is something to be too worried about).

He obviously knows a good coach as he appointed Neilson, Cathro (still seems to be a respected coach) and Ross.

3 hours ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

He was 8 mins away from walking or the sack. 

There is no way even he could have the brass neck to carry on after giving Cathro the bullet for failing in the same competition. 

I think it was Budge who sacked Cathro. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

No

Fair enough. Evidence of the last 5 years suggests otherwise 🤣

Flappy Hands
5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

That's another good point.  I think Levein should be at hearts, he does some things very well, but he's never going to be under anybody. He is the boss while he's there. Any new manager under him that loses.. Levein will get the blame. 

Long story short, he has to move on. :(

Flappy Hands
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's another reason I don't get why Levein having a say in who our next manager is is a problem, or the idea that it could be Daly, McPhee, Kirk or someone else from within the club is something to be too worried about).

He obviously knows a good coach as he appointed Neilson, Cathro (still seems to be a respected coach) and Ross.

I think it is a problem because he got rid of the good one. He appointed crap ones and ended up having to do the job himself. Possibly told to by Ann. 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

That's another good point.  I think Levein should be at hearts, he does some things very well, but he's never going to be under anybody. He is the boss while he's there. Any new manager under him that loses.. Levein will get the blame. 

Long story short, he has to move on. :(

Nah. Then the eejits will have won. He's an asset when it comes to the academy and some other behind the scenes stuff IMO - let him do a proper DoF job. Then when he retires put "It was a good laugh, wasn't it?" in massive letters on top of the roof of the new stand.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

I think it is a problem because he got rid of the good one. He appointed crap ones and ended up having to do the job himself. Possibly told to by Ann. 

Neilson was good wasn't he? One out of two isn't the worst record.

Alex Kintner
15 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

Pun intended?

1 hour ago, Getintaethem said:

Unfortunately I see no reason for optimism this season.  We've failed to address several glaring issues from last season.  Firstly the lack of firepower.  Walker and Washington may give us some creaticity and workrate, but who's going to consistently put the ball in the net?  Our centre midfield is weak and nothing has been done to strengthen the goalkeeper position.

We're far to slow and deliberate with our build up play, players taking too many touches and giving opponents time to organise.  Our closest rivals in terms of size of club (Aberdeen) have secured Bryson, a player we wanted.  Very few of our players are fully up to speed for next weeks league opener.

I hope I'm wrong, but to me, we look like a team who may struggle to make top six, never mind qualify for Europe.  

I'll be surprised if Levien sees out the season.

It’s another special post brought to you by “I hope I’m wrong”!!!

😘

Flappy Hands
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Nah. Then the eejits will have won. He's an asset when it comes to the academy and some other behind the sevens stuff IMO - let him do a proper DoF job. Then when he retires put "It was a good laugh, wasn't it?" in massive letters on top of the roof of the new stand.

He's an asset when it comes to certain things. Youth, Defence, being funny in the media. 

1st team manager he is not. Unfortunately. Love the guy but he's not the man for that job. 

There's a lot of things not right at hearts and he's the guy in control of it all. 

Flappy Hands
5 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Pun intended?

If that rumour is true, is it really a sackable?

It takes 2 to tango and i see the 2nd party is still there. 

Flappy Hands

We will never know the truth. 

a bit like Burley getting the sack when we were top of the league. 

Pisses me right off. 

Guest ToqueJambo
19 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

It’s another special post brought to you by “I hope I’m wrong”!!!

😘

He should be happy his hopes are being realised as Hibs, Killie and Aberdeen look as good (or bad) as us so far. Top 6 is anyone's guess at this point.

Flappy Hands
Just now, Zlatanable said:

Like the mystery of life and the universe. 

Nah, i know all about that. 

25 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Nah. Then the eejits will have won. He's an asset when it comes to the academy and some other behind the scenes stuff IMO - let him do a proper DoF job. Then when he retires put "It was a good laugh, wasn't it?" in massive letters on top of the roof of the new stand.

Thank feck the “eejits” won and got Cathro punted - don’t you agree ?

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Like the mystery of life and the universe. 

No mystery mate. Bloke shags girl. Baby arrives 9 months later to ruin their lives bring them joy.

Flappy Hands
Just now, Zlatanable said:

Don't hate me, or stuff, but are you two the same person?

Lol Hell no. 

He wants robbo as manager. 

I want steve clarke. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Thank feck the “eejits” won and got Cathro punted - don’t you agree ?

Wasn't aware Budge was an eejit or that anyone wanted Cathro to stay by the end.

Wasn't aware Budge was an eejit or that anyone wanted Cathro to stay by the end.

Budge was left with no choice but to punt Cathro after the “eejits” (fans) justifiable anger and reaction to the Dunfermline debacle.

Flappy Hands

Budge is a great business woman and a great person in general, She's done wonders for our club and i hope she stays on. 

BUT

She knows he haw about football and has admitted it herself and she relies on Craig (who she can trust and knows a lot about football but he haw about coaching or the world of attacking) 

Goals win games. 

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Budge was left with no choice but to punt Cathro after the “eejits” (fans) justifiable anger and reaction to the Dunfermline debacle.

Fair enough. We have the power! Don't think we're quite in that bad a state though.

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren pinned and unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren locked this topic