Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

Fozzyonthefence
10 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

We could end up with the vermin pipping us on goal difference for the seeding.

And we could end up playing them anyway.  Are the seeded teams at home by the way or is that just luck of the draw?

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

hearts 4 the cup

Not sure I’d agree with spineless as they got themselves out of jail in the end. But we’re too one paced and have been for months.  We’ve got some quick players in the team yet never inject any pace into games.

No idea what needs to change but still not convinced that it has to be CL. Having Naismith backs going to be a major boost to the team 

2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I'd be concerned if we had played our strongest team in these games. A lot of rotation, a lot of player catching up on fitness. Once we've got Naismith playing and the rest of the new guys up to speed I'll be worried if we aren't winning on a consistent basis. 

We have had all players available to us other than Haring and Naisy who are predicted starters for the 3 games. I know Naisy makes a huge difference but the performances have been lackluster.

It's not even personnel, it's the speed we move the ball at and the movement which is concerning. 

I appreciate your take on things (that's what discussion is for) but to me the start of this season has very much been an extension of the last 6 months

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

And we could end up playing them anyway.  Are the seeded teams at home by the way or is that just luck of the draw?

4 seeds at home, 4 non-seeds at home

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Yet it wasn’t in the slightest worrying concerning or embarrassing going 1 down with ten left to a bottom division side?  

It was a concern, but we won.

I am sure this season will have several highs and lows.

Part n' parcel.

Asking for the manager to be sacked continually is boring, and in fact I am going to avoid this thread as it's absolute shite.

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

It's the correct summation so far and has been correct whilst all around us lose their Shit.

I've predicted our outcome on other relevant threads and feel no inclination to regurgitate the same on this cracker. 

Enjoy the win. 

Or not.

But you are regurgitating the same tiresome shite you regurgitate on every thread. You don’t like the thread?  Don’t post on it then.  Leave the grown ups to discuss football.

Mr Elwood P
2 minutes ago, Miko said:

We have had all players available to us other than Haring and Naisy who are predicted starters for the 3 games. I know Naisy makes a huge difference but the performances have been lackluster.

It's not even personnel, it's the speed we move the ball at and the movement which is concerning. 

I appreciate your take on things (that's what discussion is for) but to me the start of this season has very much been an extension of the last 6 months

Players that didn't start tonight:

Haring

Uche 

Mulraney 

Naismith 

Berra 

I make that 5 starters out of 11. Possibly another centre mid to come in so potentially 6/11 ...

1 minute ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

It was a concern, but we won.

I am sure this season will have several highs and lows.

Part n' parcel.

Asking for the manager to be sacked continually is boring, and in fact I am going to avoid this thread as it's absolute shite.

Most teams will have highs and lows but not many teams have a support as divided as ours following from the last few seasons of dross.

Bazzas right boot

If only there was a thread that covered this?

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

Haring

Uche 

Mulraney 

Naismith 

Berra 

I make that 5 starters out of 11. Possibly another centre mid to come in so potentially 6/11 ...

If you had cared to read my post I said we have had all starters available bar Naisy and Haring. It is Levein who has chosen to rotate them throughout these games. 

Mr Elwood P
Just now, Miko said:

If you had cared to read my post I said we have had all starters available bar Naisy and Haring. It is Levein who has chosen to rotate them throughout these games. 

I did read your post. I'm just not going to piss my pants until our best starting 11 struggles in a match. Currently we haven't been brilliant but we are getting the job done.

sandylejambo

Tonight was just like last season all over again, slow, predictable and not good to watch, I would like to say Levein has learned from last season, but he hasn't, it looks like it's going to be a long year.

The people in here who are "waiting in naismith" is hilarious. Riding the whole campaign on one player. Oh and Haring..... A defensive midfielder. That was a strong team he sent out tonight and we were awful

I did read your post. I'm just not going to piss my pants until our best starting 11 struggles in a match. Currently we haven't been brilliant but we are getting the job done.

No pant wetting here. I'll be in Aberdeen on the 4th regardless of who's in charge.

My argument as I've stated is that Levein shouldn't be anywhere near a Hearts dugout going into a new season. I genuinely cannot comprehend how anyone could think otherwise. The first 3 games of this LC campaign have very little to do with that. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Most teams will have highs and lows but not many teams have a support as divided as ours following from the last few seasons of dross.

I'll bite

Dross.. 5th and 6th place? not good but dross?

lc semi and a sc final last season?

Beating celtic 4-0, winning at ER for the first time in a while, besting Aberdeen a good few times, the exciting start to last season.

Your either about 15 or if older an idiot imo.

The fans are only divided buy those who actually want us beat so they can pursue their Levein out pish. Everyone else is united in Hearts winning games.

On tonight's thread, posters celebrated Stenny's goal, on a cup final poll- some wanted us beat, on the last derby some posters wanted us beat. 

IMO these fans can gtf.

Inch Hearts
12 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

You lot manage to put a black marker pen straight through the entire start of last season, the League Cup run and the Scottish Cup run ...

When? 

37 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Every goal we concede or defeat it will be bumped.

Embarrassing doesn't quite cover it.

Not as embarrassing as your relentless happy clapping Oly!

Mr Elwood P
Just now, Inch Hearts said:

When? 

Constantly. It's always the Premiership form from October and disregard the cups runs.

No pant wetting here. I'll be in Aberdeen on the 4th regardless of who's in charge.

My argument as I've stated is that Levein shouldn't be anywhere near a Hearts dugout going into a new season. I genuinely cannot comprehend how anyone could think otherwise. The first 3 games of this LC campaign have very little to do with that. 

The cup runs and the start to the Scottish Premiership season last season are my reasons for wanting Levein to have another season. Also the fact that we've tied down all our best players and the academy is looking likely to bear fruit now. Unfair on Levein to be deprived the opportunity to realise the work that has been put into rebuilding Hearts.

14 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

But you are regurgitating the same tiresome shite you regurgitate on every thread. You don’t like the thread?  Don’t post on it then.  Leave the grown ups to discuss football.

Silly Billy.

Hectormasson
49 minutes ago, DarioHMFC said:

Sorry but have I missed something? Are we not top of our group? Are we not unbeaten?

We’ve had some terrible league cup campaigns and teams from previous seasons would have folded at 1-0 down. You simply can’t judge performances vs lower league teams as you would against an Aberdeen or a Killie. Stenny, like Cowdenbeath and United (for the most part) spent the vast majority of the game with 10 or 11 players behind the ball. That’s not going to be the case during the league season and more space will open up.

I’m comfortable with the direction we’re heading at the moment. Yes there’s things to work on but fans were screaming for a more attacking approach, we’ve started with that but it takes time for everyone to be settled with the style of play. 

Difference in us winning ,, halkett " he never gave up, looking forward to more goals and top performances from him ......great signing🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Johnny Sandiego
14 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

😂 I dont always agree with AD but to suggest he's the only one regurgitating the same tiresome sheet made me laugh. This whole thread is the same regurgitated pish i've sat and read on another 10 threads tonight. Its not discussing anything, grown up or otherwise. Its starting yet another thread saying the same thing. The OP could have just posted this in the match thread surely? Where is the new and intersting debate here?

3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Constantly. It's always the Premiership form from October and disregard the cups runs.

The cup runs and the start to the Scottish Premiership season last season are my reasons for wanting Levein to have another season. Also the fact that we've tied down all our best players and the academy is looking likely to bear fruit now. Unfair on Levein to be deprived the opportunity to realise the work that has been put into rebuilding Hearts.

Cup runs absolutely. Wont jump on the 'who did we beat' bandwagon as you can only beat what's put in front of you.

However wanting him to stay due to the start of a season is nonsense for me. We played well for about 8 games and then utterly collapsed. Even without Naisy that is just not good enough. We have just finished 6th twice with him in charge and have played generally shocking football (Celtic 4-0 and a handful of other performances aside).

Hopefully you are right and he turns it round but unfortunately I cannot see anything changing anytime soon.

Cruyff Turn

Performance was poor and there is no excuses but it’s early days and we got a win which is the main thing.

No need to go mental or hit the panic button yet. 

Our first 5 or 6 league games will be a fairer reflection of how will mean to go on this season. 

Captain Canada

We're about to enter into a new league campaign and don't appear to have addressed the main issues from last season.

We lack a proven goalscorer and play at a pedestrian pace for the majority of games. I'm not a rabid CL hater but when obvious things stay the same and our signings are consistently more bad than good, it's time to do something different. 

Are there managers across the world within our budget who could do a better job? I definitely think so. I don't think he should be sacked just now but I really want to see very obvious weaknesses addressed. And hopefully we can still do that in the transfer window. 

Guys such as MacLean, Wighton and Bozanic are simply not up to the job. And yet again this season, we have depth in the squad without any real strength, apart from defenders. 

sandylejambo

I'm not worried about how Aberdeen or Killie or Hibs are shaping up, I'm only concerned with how Hearts are doing and right now it looks like it did last season, slow, predictable and downright shite.

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Not as embarrassing as your relentless happy clapping Oly!

Fyi- not asking for the manager to be sacked constantly is not happy clapping. 

been here before
40 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

You jest sir I have it on good authority that you are the joker in the pack. Come ye Come ye and witness the joker who has been here before when Cathro was in charge.

Is that some sort of challenge?

Sort of re-arrange the words to form a coherent phrase type of thing...

Mr Elwood P

Cup runs absolutely. Wont jump on the 'who did we beat' bandwagon as you can only beat what's put in front of you.

However wanting him to stay due to the start of a season is nonsense for me. We played well for about 8 games and then utterly collapsed. Even without Naisy that is just not good enough. We have just finished 6th twice with him in charge and have played generally shocking football (Celtic 4-0 and a handful of other performances aside).

Hopefully you are right and he turns it round but unfortunately I cannot see anything changing anytime soon.

Hearts have finished 6th place or worse, 46 times during our 145 year history. Hopefully that offers some perspective on what is and is not acceptable for Heart of Midlothian F.C. Finishing in those positions is disappointing that cannot be denied but the way folk have reacted you would think we are Real Madrid or Manchester United. To finish 6th and reach and semi final and a cup final is actually a successful campaign compared to many many seasons we have endured. Hopefully we can combine initial league form, of last season, with more extended cup runs and a few derby wins this coming campaign. 

Inch Hearts
18 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I’ve never disregarded the cup runs ever.  Leagues aren’t won or lost in October though and although it was a brilliant start last season it was a shocking 6 months and overall another piss poor season which is now followed by dross like this evening.  People have actually forgotten what it’s like to be half decent and others are happy now to settle with shite like tonight if it’s a win at full time and happy to finish sixth if there was a good couple of months in the season.  Overall it’s totally unacceptable.  Leveins hearts Pat Fenlon. 

Edited by Inch Hearts

Stenhousemuir played for penalties right from kick off. 5 in defence at all times. Their keeper also made some great saves. Instead of lumping it into the box we tried to play it into the net. It's refreshing to see that.

I'm not reading much into this game. We didn't play great sure, but we won. 

Fozzyonthefence
35 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

You lot manage to put a black marker pen straight through the entire start of last season, the League Cup run and the Scottish Cup run ...

And “you lot” would rather judge a manager over the first 10 games of a season than the full 38.

Mr Elwood P
2 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

I’ve never disregarded the cup runs ever.  Leagues aren’t won or lost in October though and although it was a brilliant start last season it was a shocking 6 months and overall another piss poor season which is now followed by dross like this evening.  People have actually forgotten what it’s like to be half decent and others are happy now to settle with shite like tonight if it’s a win at full time and happy to finish sixth if there was a good couple of months in the season.  Overall it’s totally unacceptable.  Leveins hearts Pat Fenlon. 

See my above post regarding finishing 6th.

We played some very good football at times tonight and created a host of chances. Let’s wait until the league campaign before over reacting! We’ve got 38 games for this kinda stuff!

Mr Elwood P
2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

And “you lot” would rather judge a manager over the first 10 games of a season than the full 38.

I’ve actually looked at the whole campaign and said 6th is poor but isn’t a sackable performance as a Hearts gaffer. The cup runs were great and to an extent mitigate the poor league performances. 

I'm not really buying into this spineless chat, I think the players put effort in. I just happen to think we are not very good. We lack real quality.

Our best players are

Naismith (not even signed yet)

Haring (an industrious DM)

Uche (a physical presence)

And many hope Jake mulraney will be a main attacking threat (credit to him for his application and improvement but hes very ordinary bar a bit pace)

A 17yo has came into the side and looks one of our better players.

Squad is way off where it needs to be.

Edit: CB aside. One position we seem ok in.

Edited by Alan_R

33 minutes ago, Maroonjam said:

The people in here who are "waiting in naismith" is hilarious. Riding the whole campaign on one player. Oh and Haring..... A defensive midfielder. That was a strong team he sent out tonight and we were awful

It is worrying that so much expectation is being placed on the return to competitive football of a player who, good as he is, is as likely as not to be injured for large chunks of the season. If we were to get more than half a season out of him, that would be a bonus. But we need to be able to play well without him, something we failed to do for most of 2018/19. We need a decent Plan B. The worry is that we still lack spark and creativity without Naismith. Maybe the hope is that Clare and Walker will provide this. We also lack a leader, someone to kick backsides at times when we are directionless.

5 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I’ve actually looked at the whole campaign and said 6th is poor but isn’t a sackable performance as a Hearts gaffer. The cup runs were great and to an extent mitigate the poor league performances. 

In what way does beating, in the main, inferior opposition in the cups mitigate poor league performances???

Mr Elwood P
4 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

In what way does beating, in the main, inferior opposition in the cups mitigate poor league performances???

We compete in three competitions. We performed well in 2/3. 

Excuse No 12 in the Happy Clappers manual......😉

siegementality
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

That was last season. New season, we've taken 8 points from a possible 9. We are likely going to win the group. Job done. Onto the Premiership campaign. We need to give it 11 or 22 games of the 2019/20 season to see where we are.

11 or 22 😂😂😂😂😂

Saint Jambo
55 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

The pot of seeded teams is likely to look something like: Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen , Killie, Ross County, Motherwell, Livi, Hibs.

The unseeded pot something like: Hearts, Dundee, Dunfermline, Patrick, Arbroath, Morton, Ayr, Hamilton.

Anyone who doesn't think we would be better off if we pip Hibs or Livi for a seeded spot needs their head examined.

siegementality
55 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Haring

Uche 

Mulraney 

Naismith 

Berra 

Berra and Uche will feature a loss less this season.

Inch Hearts
19 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

See my above post regarding finishing 6th.

We played some very good football at times tonight and created a host of chances. Let’s wait until the league campaign before over reacting! We’ve got 38 games for this kinda stuff!

Its not over reacting though.  It’s a continuation of shite over a period of time.  There’s always loads of excuses.  2-1 at home to a part time team in the third division is far from acceptable regardless of how it is dressed up.  What is going on in the attacking department? 

Guest ToqueJambo

One thing about this thread. It’s pretty much every repetitive Levein oot bore you could want to put on ignore for the new season in one place.

Fozzyonthefence
21 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

6th place on its own I agree is not sackable.  However, back to back 6th places and a horrendous last 24 league games is, imo.

The cup runs were as expected, given the draws.  It’s not like we knocked Sevco out twice, like Aberdeen did.

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

rudi must stay

I think we're going nowhere under Levein.

We have no tempo and are very predictable, (look for the overlap, cross) You still get the feeling a chance is some incredible thing and that is as another poster said because we are so shot shy.

I would question our recruitment majorly in that regard (very few successes attacking wise, and it says it all at times Haring plays as a creative player because he actually has the guts to have a pop) 

All in all meh

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

One thing about this thread. It’s pretty much every repetitive Levein oot bore you could want to put on ignore for the new season in one place.

Likewise with the Levein must stay bores, always defending the indefensible.

Jason Dufner

The evidence is clear to see in the reaction the team is getting from the fans.

Boo’s yet again at half time from the Hearts fans and let’s be honest, there’s probably about 3 instances in 2019 that hasn’t been the case.

The standard of football (and I use the term loosely) we’re producing is absolutely shocking, absolutely no game plan whatsoever and quite frankly we look like he just picks 11 players and they go play where they want.

There’s a reason we can giveback Celtic a game, we get to sit back against them and play without the ball, exactly how Levein wants his team set up. The reason we continue to struggle against Dundee’s/ Livingston/ St Mirren even League 2 opposition tonight ffs is that we have no game plan to break down teams that come to sit in and quite honestly Levein has shown nothing to suggest he can come up with one.

We’re not even out of July and already you look at the team and think the same flaws that have let us down for 3 years haven’t been addressed and we as fans are being badly let down by a manager who isn’t up to the task of rectifying it.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Its not over reacting though.  It’s a continuation of shite over a period of time.  There’s always loads of excuses.  2-1 at home to a part time team in the third division is far from acceptable regardless of how it is dressed up.  What is going on in the attacking department? 

What are you going to do about it? Support the team or boo?

Dry yer eyes. A much better team needed extra time to beat Stenny last time we played them.

Enzo Chiefo
2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Mainly down to the luck of the draw it has to be said. The League Cup is geared up for the top clubs to advance. Last season, we drew Dunfermline and Motherwell in the LC due to the luck of the draw then Livvy, Auchinleck, Partick and ICT in the SC. A more fortuitous draw, we are unlikely to ever get again. The league position over the last 2 seasons has been more indicative of our recent regression. The fact that so many of last season's signings have either been moved on, are being allowed to leave or are simply not good enough, is another sign of our recruitment failures.

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren pinned and unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren locked this topic