Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

9 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Probably but I suppose it may depend on the generation. Other factors come into it too though like standard of play, recent success that can placate the support through a dip..etc...

As an example, from 86 until 92 we finished:-  2, 5, 2, 6, 3, 5 , 2

Its interesting that in the dip seasons we played in Europe. I remember it being a point of debate back then.

But all was forgiven. It was still a good team to watch, we were getting in Europe regularly and pretty much always getting to semi finals in the domestic cups, more so the Big Cup.

All could be forgiven this season. We have a great chance of a memorable cup run this season and could still grab a euro spot. It’s insane to be talking about removing the manager now.

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

Pasquale for King
10 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

JJ took one look at Sutton in training and thought WTF? Sutton was immobile and totally powder puff.

Kyle aside, I cant think of any other JJ big targetmen... Hamilton? At a stretch I suppose, but he was more of a poacher I thought.

Honestly not sure where you are getting this from. We’re you around for most of JJ’s time at Hearts?

He signed Sutton ffs, as I said up there he also had Eskilson and Darren Beckford? Were you around or did you just forget them? When Kyle was injured he persisted in playing the long ball to Stevenson even though it didn’t work and we were really poor towards the end of the season. Vlad then offered to bring in a European coach to help them play football, he refused and was sacked. The team we had in 98 were one of the best Hearts teams I’ve seen, we had a good mix but went long if we needed to. 

Pasquale for King
43 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Probably but I suppose it may depend on the generation. Other factors come into it too though like standard of play, recent success that can placate the support through a dip..etc...

As an example, from 86 until 92 we finished:-  2, 5, 2, 6, 3, 5 , 2

Its interesting that in the dip seasons we played in Europe. I remember it being a point of debate back then.

But all was forgiven. It was still a good team to watch, we were getting in Europe regularly and pretty much always getting to semi finals in the domestic cups, more so the Big Cup.

We rarely qualify for Europe two seasons in a row, CL did it in his first spell. You see a lot of teams fail to qualify again the season after being in Europe, look at Burnley or Hibs this season. When you go out early it can damage your confidence and your league form.

Edited by Pasquale for King

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

We rarely qualify for Europe two seasons in a row, CL did it in his first spell. You see a lot of teams fail to qualify again the season after being in Europe, look at Burnley or Hibs this season. 

That's why Mr Levein has put a managerial structure in place in an attempt to get some form of consistency. Little acorns and all that.

That's exactly why he needs time to do it and why patience is required. Unless you like a good ****in moan of course ??

If we win the SC he is bulletproof and that could work strongly to our detriment.  He's had long enough.  He seems bereft of ideas.

Time to go.

Enzo Chiefo
5 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

That's why Mr Levein has put a managerial structure in place in an attempt to get some form of consistency. Little acorns and all that.

That's exactly why he needs time to do it and why patience is required. Unless you like a good ****in moan of course ??

It may be a managerial "structure" but it's a flawed one. Holding the club hostage to one, rigid set of ideas while grooming others in the same methodology is fundamentally flawed.

4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

It may be a managerial "structure" but it's a flawed one. Holding the club hostage to one, rigid set of ideas while grooming others in the same methodology is fundamentally flawed.

Do you actually believe all that made up Shit you post ?

Edited by Artful Dodger

Enzo Chiefo
1 minute ago, Artful Dodger said:

I could very well ask you the same about the extraordinarily naive pro-Levein nonsense that you post.

Enzo Chiefo
59 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

That was partly because the team that did so well the previous season often got broken up.

Yes, that's a fair point. 

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I could very well ask you the same about the extraordinarily naive pro-Levein nonsense that you post.

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Interested to hear what the next level is considering we have a very good chance of 4th plus 2 semis this season. That’s exactly where we stand budget wise.

Also who is the manager available who we can afford to take us there?

Levein did enough this season to deserve to see out his contract IMO and we can plan for a successor next season instead of yet another manager change and the instability and player turnover that results in.

Well, for me it's winning cups, beating the OF in Glasgow and, playing attractive enough football that will see us fill the stadium with our own fans. There is an apathy even amongst ST holders . We restricted the OF to 2 sections a few years back wheras now they get the whole Roseburn. I don't think Levein is the man to oversee that transition tbh.

Enzo Chiefo
4 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

I could very well ask you the same about the extraordinarily naive, pro -Levein nonsense that you post.

Randy Marsh
35 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

If we win the SC he is bulletproof and that could work strongly to our detriment.  He's had long enough.  He seems bereft of ideas.

Time to go.

Levein will deserve another season if he wins the Scottish Cup.  

18 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I could very well ask you the same about the extraordinarily naive, pro -Levein nonsense that you post.

You can't answer the question.

Not surprised tbh. 

42 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Time to go.

Winning the Scottish cup and therefor Qualifying to play in Europe after making a shit load of cash because of the cup run.

Sacking performance. 

Righto then :notsure:

8 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

Levein will deserve another season if he wins the Scottish Cup.  

Levein deserves as many seasons as it takes to win us trophys. 

45 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

That'll be the structure that saw Hearts unable to appoint one of it's most senior coaches to a temp/perm  leadership role after Cathro left (was he too busy with NI or not suited ? ) and saw a complete nobody (Daly) put in charge for 4 games followed by a board with no idea who then put CL in charge. CL might have a structure but it's not delivering. One more season , and he's gone. 

Enzo Chiefo
2 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

You can't answer the question.

Not surprised tbh. 

What question? Do i believe my own insightful posts. Of course I do. Genuine question: are you employed by the club to post your views on here?

5 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

That'll be the structure that saw Hearts unable to appoint one of it's most senior coaches to a temp/perm  leadership role after Cathro left (was he too busy with NI or not suited ? ) and saw a complete nobody (Daly) put in charge for 4 games followed by a board with no idea who then put CL in charge. CL might have a structure but it's not delivering. One more season , and he's gone. 

:cornette_dog:

Club has caretaker manager in place for a few games after sacking manager shock.  That argument of yours is truly desperate - every club does it from time to time.

And to answer you before your attempted comeback, we got gazumped by Crystal Palace for Dougie Freedman and needed to go back to the drawing board for the manager search.

Edited by frankblack

siegementality
3 hours ago, Captain Bubblebeard said:

You said we were no closer than five years ago to achieving CLs objective. I respectfully disagree.

So CL’s objective was to build a stand and have a new pitch, really?

23 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Well, for me it's winning cups, beating the OF in Glasgow and, playing attractive enough football that will see us fill the stadium with our own fans. There is an apathy even amongst ST holders . We restricted the OF to 2 sections a few years back wheras now they get the whole Roseburn. I don't think Levein is the man to oversee that transition tbh.

So your expectation is playing winning (including against the OF), attractive football all the time. Again, who do you think will do that for us? Genuinely interested as my current support for Levein can  very quickly transfer to a realistic replacement.

We do at least one of those things every few seasons by the way. We do all of them maybe once a decade. So your expectations are on the unrealistic end of the scale. Even with Vlad's millions we only did it in one out of what 8 seasons.

Anyhow, you've got a short memory. The last time we played winning (including vs the OF) and attractive(ish) football was the start of this season before the injuries, not that long ago.

If you mean winning actual competitions, and playing good football, and beating the OF on their patch, the last time was as recently as under Neilson in 2014/15. He was then crucified by sections of the support for reasons that still baffle me.

Either way, Levein had a hand in that season as well as the start to this season obviously, so he's being judged very harshly on some fans' very subjective idea of what constitutes entertainment.

Randy Marsh
5 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

Levein deserves as many seasons as it takes to win us trophys. 

If we were performing as well as we did under Levein during his first spell with Hearts then I would agree.

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

What question? Do i believe my own insightful posts. Of course I do. Genuine question: are you employed by the club to post your views on here?

Because I don't believe the Shit you make up means I'm employed by the club, seriously :rofl:

I post my opinion, no more, no less. 

4 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

If we were performing as well as we did under Levein during his first spell with Hearts then I would agree.

Is that just currently or when we where top of the league for a quarter of the season?

Or was that just luck?

Edited by Artful Dodger

Enzo Chiefo

Because I don't believe the Shit you make up means I'm employed by the club, seriously :rofl:

I post my opinion, no more, no less. 

No, because you seem to genuinely believe, albeit in your own mind, that people who have different opinions to yours , post Shit (sic) whereas you are entitled to post your opinions,  "no more, no less". 

Edited by Enzo Chiefo

Randy Marsh
1 minute ago, Artful Dodger said:

Is that just currently or when we where top of the league for a quarter of the season?

Or was that just luck?

No.  I mean when he was manager the first time 2001-2004.  

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

No, because you seem to genuinely believe, albeit in your own mind, that people who have different opinions to yours , post Shit (sic) whereas you are entitled to post your opinions,  "no more, no less". 

No, you make Shit up and post it as fact. That's not opinion, it's bullshit.

2 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

No.  I mean when he was manager the first time 2001-2004.  

I fail to see what relevance Levein had in his 1st spell tbh. 

He's not the same manager publically or privately for that matter. 

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

I don’t remember caring much about results or performances until I was older. Those first few seasons were all about your heroes on the pitch and just the experience of being in the ground surrounded by a bunch of sweary old men, including your dad.

Worth remembering when adults talk about changing manager every season that that usually means a constant turnover in players, including the heroes of kids at games.

What levein is doing is allowing heroes to emerge by signing up the likes of berra, souttar, haring, clare and uche longterm as well as giving lots of opportunities to young players ie future robbos.

Could not agree more. Great post.

Enzo Chiefo
Just now, Artful Dodger said:

No, you make Shit up and post it as fact. That's not opinion, it's bullshit.

Are you employed by wee Annie?

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Very much so. Don't know about the internet but most of the fans I bump into in the street/ pubs etc , guys that i  have known through following us for 40 years, they all say the same. They are disillusioned with Levein but are still going out of habit. It's genuinely only on here that I encounter his supporters 

Need to widen your circle of acquaintances. Or is it just a mirror you talk to? 

Enzo Chiefo
Just now, soonbe110 said:

Need to widen your circle of acquaintances. Or is it just a mirror you talk to? 

Out in the real world old son. You seem to confuse deluded internet posters with facts.

1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

Time to go.

If he is bereft of ideas how can you possibly suggest we might win the Scottish cup? That’s quite a contradiction in  little over one line of a post. 

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Aye.

100k a year.... . . . Jobs uh good un ??

Randy Marsh
Just now, Artful Dodger said:

I fail to see what relevance Levein had in his 1st spell tbh. 

He's not the same manager publically or privately for that matter. 

We played really good football and finished 3rd easily two seasons in a row.  A very enjoyable period following Hearts.

5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Out in the real world old son. You seem to confuse deluded internet posters with facts.

No I recognise one when I see one. You are close to the top of the pile. . 

Enzo Chiefo
Just now, soonbe110 said:

No I recognise one when I see one. You are close to the top of the pile. . 

Presumably Levein is top of the pile then.

7 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

We played really good football and finished 3rd easily two seasons in a row.  A very enjoyable period following Hearts.

I agree mate.

I also think the way the club is being run now is to sustain that kind of ethos for more than 2 years, it's to get us consistently challenging for every trophy possible every year.

Edited by Artful Dodger

12 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

? That's some way to talk about the fellow fan who ensured you still have a club to moan about.

Enzo Chiefo
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

? That's some way to talk about the fellow fan who ensured you still have a club to moan about.

Just a wee bit tongue in cheek Toque. A term of endearment. 

7 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Presumably Levein is top of the pile then.

What name does he post under? 

Alex Kintner
4 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

He also had a lethal penalty box striker, a winger that could cross a ball, a driving midfielder and a squad that could , in the main, survive a few games or training sessions without falling injured. Night and day compared to the present vintage 

Yet finished 5th then 7th in his first two seasons as manager of Hearts in the top flight. Had jkb been around then the place would have drowned in drenched underpants when it was decided he would once again manage the team in season 85/86. Imagine the posts demanding his head and calling the club a “farce” after the way we started that season...

:whistling:

Edited by To Be Frank

40 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Winning the Scottish cup and therefor Qualifying to play in Europe after making a shit load of cash because of the cup run.

Sacking performance. 

Righto then :notsure:

Real wouldn't keep a manager just because he won the Copa Del Boy.

Randy Marsh

I agree mate.

I also think the way the club is being run now is to sustain that kind of ethos for more that 2 years, it's to get us consistently challenging for every trophy possible. 

I hope your right man.  I admire your positive attitude. 

Just now, Randy Marsh said:

I hope your right man.  I admire your positive attitude. 

The 100k a year "wee Annie" pays me helps. ?

Enzo Chiefo
2 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Real wouldn't keep a manager just because he won the Copa Del Boy.

Correct Doug. It's all about ambition and driving the club forward.  Fwiw, I don't think Levein will be at the club next season, regardless of whether we win the Cup or not.

Alex Kintner
2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Very much so. Don't know about the internet but most of the fans I bump into in the street/ pubs etc , guys that i  have known through following us for 40 years, they all say the same. They are disillusioned with Levein but are still going out of habit. It's genuinely only on here that I encounter his supporters 

How disillusioned were they at this point of season 84/85?

5 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

How disillusioned were they at this point of season 84/85?

Why is anything that happened in 84/85 even relevant?

Alex Kintner
9 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

Why is anything that happened in 84/85 even relevant?

Because we have fans on here saying Levein has to go because last season we finished 6th and this season we’re sitting 5th. Some are saying his “time is up” and “any other Hearts manager would have been sacked for Levein’s performance.” Alex MacDonald’s time as Hearts boss pisses all over their argument. In 83/84 we finished 5th and then in 84/85 we finished 7th under Alex MacDonald  and he wasn’t sacked. The board rightly stuck by him. Even when we started 85/86 terribly the board stuck by him and we all know what happened next... 

Edited by To Be Frank

stevieboobs
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Genuine question. Can anyone give any examples where a manager had moved upstairs/resigned/been sacked and one of the coaches has taken over and been a success?  This scenario fills me with dread to be honest 

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren pinned and unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren locked this topic