Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

5 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

He made a stonking great error appointing Cathro and tbf last season with that in mind I think I wanted him punted last May because it was feckin chronic especially away. 

I don’t think we are a mess on the park at all though. We’ve had a clear out and we’ve brought in some good players but are short in a number of areas. We need to actually let the manager build a team rather than changing it again because there are no guarantees we’d be any better off to start with.

The thing is, we’d need to replace Levein as DoF as well as the manager and probably the assistant as well. Then the new manager will want new players and so it begins, again... more upheaval, a shit tonne of money on another 20 players and coaches. It’s really the last thing we need. 

We aren’t far away and we’re actually in a reasonable position to start finishing in the top 3 starting next season when we can build upon what we have. 

With the amount of players he has brought in, how come we are still short in a number of areas?

3years on the fringes and 2 years in the frontline and we are still talking about building a team (remember you are the one who said number of areas).

He has had his turn, unfortunately it does not seem to be working. 

I actually think the squad under a different manager with a different approach are capable of a lot better.

Manager/coaches lose their jobs and get replaced, that is football. It should not be used as an excuse to keep them.

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

12 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

He made a stonking great error appointing Cathro and tbf last season with that in mind I think I wanted him punted last May because it was feckin chronic especially away. 

I don’t think we are a mess on the park at all though. We’ve had a clear out and we’ve brought in some good players but are short in a number of areas. We need to actually let the manager build a team rather than changing it again because there are no guarantees we’d be any better off to start with.

The thing is, we’d need to replace Levein as DoF as well as the manager and probably the assistant as well. Then the new manager will want new players and so it begins, again... more upheaval, a shit tonne of money on another 20 players and coaches. It’s really the last thing we need. 

We aren’t far away and we’re actually in a reasonable position to start finishing in the top 3 starting next season when we can build upon what we have. 

Many more reasonable posters loved the start of the season but felt we were still a season a way from seeing the proper consistency and direction we want. We were chronic last year sorting the Cathro debacle and as such fixing everything this year was going to be difficult. We had an amazing start and that more reasoned position of this is a transition year but we need to see a steadying and step forward went out the window. 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah you don’t think so, you don’t know though do you? You have no clue about the other teams injuries or you wouldn’t talk so much Ill informed rubbish. Berra has been awful since he returned, he and Souttar weren’t really missed as much as we thought as results showed

,  Uche thinks he’s not far off the finished article but has scored one league goal in 10 games, Haring missed 8 games and we won 4 lost 2 and had 2 draws,  Naismith was the big loss as he conducts play on the pitch and missed 8 games and we had one win.

Just on your point regarding Berra and Soutar. I think they both were sorely missed while injured. JS in particular was in imperious form.

What I think is that these players and Uche have been rushed back by a panicking manager who had no clue how to arrest the most alarming of declines. He more or less admitted himself that he was struggling to find a formula for winning. 

All 3 of these players made miraculous recoveries given each initial diagnosis plus the fact they were back in the side more or less as soon as they returned to full training. 

Pasquale for King
54 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

We did fall apart due to injuries actually or we’d have probably won the league in 97/98. We just didn’t have the depth. 

We almost got relegated when Colin Cameron did his hip in 99 and was out for months, then he came back and we ended up about 9th. 

I didnt say we didn’t fall apart did I, did JJ sign over 30 players in 18 months? 

11 minutes ago, Gambo said:

With the amount of players he has brought in, how come we are still short in a number of areas?

3years on the fringes and 2 years in the frontline and we are still talking about building a team (remember you are the one who said number of areas).

He has had his turn, unfortunately it does not seem to be working. 

I actually think the squad under a different manager with a different approach are capable of a lot better.

Manager/coaches lose their jobs and get replaced, that is football. It should not be used as an excuse to keep them.

Because it takes time. It doesn’t happen in the space of one summer transfer windows. It’s clear what we need and I believe we’re in the process of recruiting those players at this moment in time. 

He’s not just the manager though. CL probably works 60 hours a week at the club overseeing all the things he’s put in place. It’s Austin MacPhee and Jon Daly that are delegated to run the first team. Getting rid off Levein who is familiar with the club and the structure in place means we would absolutely need a DoF because no manager could solely oversee Hearts operation, it’s too big and it goes way beyond Riccarton these days. 

I think it is working but it just needs time and some patience but we can agree to disagree on that perhaps.

Pasquale for King
19 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

Just on your point regarding Berra and Soutar. I think they both were sorely missed while injured. JS in particular was in imperious form.

What I think is that these players and Uche have been rushed back by a panicking manager who had no clue how to arrest the most alarming of declines. He more or less admitted himself that he was struggling to find a formula for winning. 

All 3 of these players made miraculous recoveries given each initial diagnosis plus the fact they were back in the side more or less as soon as they returned to full training. 

Im not sure if our goals against was that much worse, Berra only played one game and a bit. 

Only if you believe the initial diagnosis is it miraculous, amazingly enough most of our long term injuries come back early in true Lazarus style.

CL throws them in far too early, Berra wasn’t ready and is still struggling with something. Souttar has been ok but isn’t back to his best yet. Haring looked a bit rusty too. Uche is also rusty, he is a hard worker but really needs to  be coached on the role of a striker. I couldn’t believe my eyes when he said in the programme that he’s not far off the finished article. 

We had a formula but he seems so stubborn and reluctant to go back to its staggering.

Edited by Pasquale for King

26 minutes ago, sadj said:

Many more reasonable posters loved the start of the season but felt we were still a season a way from seeing the proper consistency and direction we want. We were chronic last year sorting the Cathro debacle and as such fixing everything this year was going to be difficult. We had an amazing start and that more reasoned position of this is a transition year but we need to see a steadying and step forward went out the window. 

Levein did say that it would be another year of pain before we made any gains at the start of the season.

We’ve managed to get in some good players. We’ve got the key players getting signed up. Another 3 to go hopefully and we will add the missing pieces in the summer and maybe replace a few outgoings. The group we have will be more familiar and we will see the best from the likes of Clare & hopefully Vanecek and others.

I do think next season we would be in a very good position to have a proper go at the league and then on it’ll be about consistency and perhaps only replacing players that leave. 

7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I didnt say we didn’t fall apart did I, did JJ sign over 30 players in 18 months? 

I don’t know about 30 but JJ signed a lot of players in his first spell and a lot of them were utter shite.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I don’t know about 30 but JJ signed a lot of players in his first spell and a lot of them were utter shite.

Yes we agree on that and even legends like Flogel couldn’t step in and do the job that Salvatore/Fulton/Cameron did. JJ still didn’t sign as many duds as CL has, he didn’t want Rudi ffs as he had lined up Tony Capaldi ??‍♂️?

17 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Because it takes time. It doesn’t happen in the space of one summer transfer windows. It’s clear what we need and I believe we’re in the process of recruiting those players at this moment in time. 

He’s not just the manager though. CL probably works 60 hours a week at the club overseeing all the things he’s put in place. It’s Austin MacPhee and Jon Daly that are delegated to run the first team. Getting rid off Levein who is familiar with the club and the structure in place means we would absolutely need a DoF because no manager could solely oversee Hearts operation, it’s too big and it goes way beyond Riccarton these days. 

I think it is working but it just needs time and some patience but we can agree to disagree on that perhaps.

Therein lies the problem. Levein has too much influence and power at the club. AB needs to hear other voices and ideas on the footballing side  The governance of the club is the problem. We are missing an experienced COE and the board is lightweight. 

Regarding the first team, it is picked by CL and tactics, substitutions etc are his call. In short, he is responsible for results.

Every manager is familiar with the structure of the club that employs them. That should not be used as an argument to keep him in place.

10 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Most players signed by JJ turned out to be a success.  I can only think of 5 that were garbage.  Eskilson, Jenkinson, Berthe, Kevin James and Petric.  Not bad at all given he was manager for 5 years in his first spell.

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes we agree on that and even legends like Flogel couldn’t step in and do the job that Salvatore/Fulton/Cameron did. JJ still didn’t sign as many duds as CL has, he didn’t want Rudi ffs as he had lined up Tony Capaldi ??‍♂️?

:rofl: Aye he did. You must be too young to remember Hans Eskilsson, Darren Beckford, Leigh Jenkinson, William Prunier, Kevin James, Gordon Petrie, Derek Lilley, Jeremy Goss, Fabian Leclerq etc...

2 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

Most players signed by JJ turned out to be a success.  I can only think of 5 that were garbage.  Eskilson, Jenkinson, Berthe, Kevin James and Petric.  Not bad at all given he was manager for 5 years in his first spell.

Aye, most of them were. Some cracking signings.

Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

:rofl: Aye he did. You must be too young to remember Hans Eskilsson, Darren Beckford, Leigh Jenkinson, William Prunier, Kevin James, Gordon Petrie, Derek Lilley, Jeremy Goss, Fabian Leclerq etc...

Add Berthe and Fitzroy Simpson to that list. 

Stephane Paille, Vincent Guerin, Rab McKinnon and Rab Tomaschek were great players in their day be must of cost us an arm and a leg.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Top Corner said:

We're in the best financial state we've ever been in. 

We have anonymous donors crawling out of our ears

We have pumped millions into FOH

The performances on the pitch are not reflecting this. 

This is our time to shine,

We should be miles ahead of where we are now. 

Levein has tried to claw it back after all the mistakes he let happen but it's not working. 

People that are saying, ohhh but this is where we should be according to history. Get a flippin grip. 

We'll be in an even better position once the stand is paid off. 

Do we really want Levein spending that extra money? Hell no. 

:spoton:

Pasquale for King

No I remember them, I also remember Callachan/Amankwaa/Stockton/Gryzelak/Doyle/Zlamal/Edwards/Wighton/Mulraney/Garuccio/Shaughnessy etc etc 

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Therein lies the problem. Levein has too much influence and power at the club. AB needs to hear other voices and ideas on the footballing side  The governance of the club is the problem. We are missing an experienced COE and the board is lightweight. 

Regarding the first team, it is picked by CL and tactics, substitutions etc are his call. In short, he is responsible for results.

Every manager is familiar with the structure of the club that employs them. That should not be used as an argument to keep him in place.

All good points, the last guy AB got to run the business side didn’t do too well did he. 

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

No I remember them, I also remember Callachan/Amankwaa/Stockton/Gryzelak/Doyle/Zlamal/Edwards/Wighton/Mulraney/Garuccio/Shaughnessy etc etc 

Worryingly this long list of duds were singed in just 18 months.

3 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Yeah if he was the manager in the Mark de Vriesy derby it would have been 1-0. Oh wait.......

Aye freak result like the 4-0 against Celtic but in was a season ticket holder then and the football was chronic to watch long balls to de vris for 90 minutes. It was successful as we came third but was not entertaining. 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Bainy said:

Aye freak result like the 4-0 against Celtic but in was a season ticket holder then and the football was chronic to watch long balls to de vris for 90 minutes. It was successful as we came third but was not entertaining. 

The crowds were dwindling too, as they would be if STs weren’t counted whether they’re at the game or not.

chuck berrys hairline

If they have nothing to show for it at end of the "five" year plan. Whole first team coaching setup needs changed they've had their time to shine

13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Stockton and Grzelak were Cathros tbf and some of those are maybe not the best but hardly duds either.

At clubs like Hearts on a tight budget in modern day football it is always going to be difficult to get a 100% success rate. Leveins signed good players too in both spells as well as a crock of shit. 

Pasquale for King

Stockton and Grzelak were Cathros tbf and some of those are maybe not the best but hardly duds either.

At clubs like Hearts on a tight budget in modern day football it is always going to be difficult to get a 100% success rate. Leveins signed good players too in both spells as well as a crock of shit. 

As did JJ, Sergio had a 100% success rate even if rhe guy was a bit injury prone.

If we do get a new manager he might well have to work with what he’s got and only make a few signings, like Clarke has at Killie.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

If they have nothing to show for it at end of the "five" year plan. Whole first team coaching setup needs changed they've had their time to shine

Yeah they’re running out of excuses.

13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

As did JJ, Sergio had a 100% success rate even if rhe guy was a bit injury prone.

If we do get a new manager he might well have to work with what he’s got and only make a few signings, like Clarke has at Killie.

You can keep dreaming. We won’t be getting a new manager for at least another season. 

Levein might field some fringe men on Wednesday. The only result that matters this week to him is beating Partick. 

Edited by JackLadd

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

You can keep dreaming. We won’t be getting a new manager for at least another season. 

Ok mate, will go and have a sleep and see who I come up with. Knowing my luck I will dream about Neil Lennon ??

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Levein might field some fringe men on Wednesday. The only result that matters this week to him is beating Partick. 

Fringes like this? Cain Dingle could do a job on Brown right enough. He’s injured anyway ?.

8337374A-7F91-470D-A1B0-80D9FD9A16F4.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The crowds were dwindling too, as they would be if STs weren’t counted whether they’re at the game or not.

How come people keep renewing their ST then ?

There is not that many ST holders not turning up . Not enough to make a substantial difference to the attendance at Tynecastle.

Easter Road though ?

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, luckydug said:

How come people keep renewing their ST then ?

There is not that many ST holders not turning up . Not enough to make a substantial difference to the attendance at Tynecastle.

Easter Road though ?

Most people on here have testified that ST holders sitting around them are picking and choosing games to go to because of the eye bleeding entertainment on offer. Funnily enough it happened last time he was the manager, go figure? ST sales were down last summer and will be again if CL is still there.

**** Hibs and everything to do with them, night night ?.

3 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

I don't think I've ever been serious. It's a character flaw I've not been able to correct. I'm an Arsehole......and proud of it.

Yep, you were a teacher at Dalkeith High right enough 

3 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

I don't think I've ever been serious. It's a character flaw I've not been able to correct. I'm an Arsehole......and proud of it.

Yep, you were a teacher at Dalkeith High right enough 

6 hours ago, Bainy said:

I was also a ST holder then and it was a rollercoaster. Good and bad. Just think we had more patience and nae social media. I can remember wishing I was home watching Brookside, at times but also getting some cracking results.

8 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

I can think of a lot more than 5! ?

8 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

Worryingly this long list of duds were singed in just 18 months.

You’re classing Garrucio, Wighton, Shaughnessy, Doyle and Zlamal as duds? 

You probably classed Pressley, Hartley and Zakiukas as duds when they all struggled badly in their first season as well. :facepalm:

8 hours ago, Bainy said:

Utter drivel ? 

The first time under Levein was far from boring unless you count 4-4s and 5-1s against Hibs as boring and it wasn’t long ball football. The focus was on getting down the wings and getting balls into the box. Total revisionist nonsense to say otherwise.

6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Most people on here have testified that ST holders sitting around them are picking and choosing games to go to because of the eye bleeding entertainment on offer. Funnily enough it happened last time he was the manager, go figure? ST sales were down last summer and will be again if CL is still there.

**** Hibs and everything to do with them, night night ?.

:rofl:

And yet the likes of you and a couple of your negative chums predicted mass boycotts and abysmal season ticket sales last summer yet they were almost the same.

John mcCartney
9 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

He’s not just the manager though. CL probably works 60 hours a week at the club overseeing all the things he’s put in place

oh how the loyalists are so easily duped

45 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

oh how the loyalists are so easily duped

You don’t think he puts a lot in?

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, frankblack said:

:rofl:

And yet the likes of you and a couple of your negative chums predicted mass boycotts and abysmal season ticket sales last summer yet they were almost the same.

Don’t think I did, I renewed quite quickly myself. I may well have said if we didn’t get some signings in sharpish that excited the fans we might struggle, we did that and were Milinkovic.

Bazzas right boot
On 24/02/2019 at 23:15, Pasquale for King said:

If we can’t beat teams like Livi/St Mirren/Dundee at home how are we going to get 4th?

Naismith&Djoum are gone.

What evidence do you have that Levein will change his style or take more risks? 

Aberdeen never beat St mirren just the weekend before and they are 3rd, so your first statement makes no sense. 

By beating Killie and Aberdeen would be the answer, along with hibs and the likes. 

It's a league for a reason. 

Naismith and Djoum will be here at least until the end of the season. 

I don't understand your last statement, will us  playing a 235 or a 433 ensure we beat everyone? 

Is having a decent defence or trying to stop goals bad? 

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Folk should remember this and keep all the hate and stupid ideas until the end of the season. 

Football to played atm, CL is going nowhere until the summer. 

Hopefully that is on a high, fans should get behind the team to help that. 

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Aberdeen never beat St mirren just the weekend before and they are 3rd, so your first statement makes no sense. 

By beating Killie and Aberdeen would be the answer, along with hibs and the likes. 

It's a league for a reason. 

Naismith and Djoum will be here at least until the end of the season. 

I don't understand your last statement, will us  playing a 235 or a 433 ensure we beat everyone? 

Is having a decent defence or trying to stop goals bad? 

I know you don’t get much but the last statement was in response to CT saying he thinks CL will change his defensive ways. He also said we beat teams around us, I said we always do so you’re actually agreeing with me. When we played 442 we were top of the league, I know it seems like a long time ago.

Olly Lee though, how similar to your pal Barack in that he only managed to do one thing and is vastly overrated.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Folk should remember this and keep all the hate and stupid ideas until the end of the season. 

He said another season, that’s next summer dummy.

11 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Exactly. 

I expect we’ll give Celtic a game on Wednesday and that will hopefully give us a boost with Dundee and Hamilton away afterwards where we should be looking to get 6 points. Then it’s 8 massive games for us against top 6 sides where anyone could beat anyone. 

If we beat Dundee and Hamilton the run in will be something to savour. 

15 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He said another season, that’s next summer dummy.

Craig Levein will get next season, unless we capitulate between now and the end of the season..... lose v Partick and get pumped in our remaining fixtures.  An outcome you’re obviously hoping for but extremely unlikely to happen. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Craig Levein will get next season, unless we capitulate between now and the end of the season..... lose v Partick and get pumped in our remaining fixtures.  An outcome you’re obviously hoping for but extremely unlikely to happen. 

Nonsense I want us to win every game we play in, I just have higher standards than you. Go and argue with Olly he thinks CL will leave at the end of the season.

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Nonsense I want us to win every game we play in, I just have higher standards than you. Go and argue with Olly he thinks CL will leave at the end of the season.

But you’ve already said we need a new manager to be a top 4 team. So clearly your standards should be met if we finish 4th this season. ?‍♂️

The fact that Leveins already signing players with next season makes me doubt that. 

Pasquale for King
33 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

But you’ve already said we need a new manager to be a top 4 team. So clearly your standards should be met if we finish 4th this season. ?‍♂️

The fact that Leveins already signing players with next season makes me doubt that. 

We do we’re 5th aren’t we, you said we won’t unless CL changes defensive ways ??‍♂️? We’ve not signed anyone.

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren pinned and unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren locked this topic