Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Do you know what comparing means? You said Levein should be given the same time as Ferguson got? You compared it to clueless May.

Should Levein be given the same time Alex MacDonald was given despite finishing 5th and 7th in his first two seasons in the top flight and then only having 5 points from opening 8 fixtures in his third season? ?

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

1 hour ago, Randy Marsh said:

The total opposite in fact.  Pressley was one of the few positives from the 98-99 season along along with Cameron returning from injury and the signings of Jackson and McSwegan.  Zal and Hartley were both played in positions that didn't suit them at first but you knew they were quality players.  They both proved so when played at Centre Back and Centre Midfield.  I wouldn't class Zlamal as a dud but the rest on the list don't give me much hope.  I would even say Zanatta is a better player than Wighton. 

You knew Zal was a class player after his first few appearances? You must have been the only one in our support who thought that!

Pressley was terrible during his first six months where he played mostly as a right back.

The signings levein has made this season have been really good!

Add in the fact Souttar and Berra signed extended deals, Naismith stayed.

Not convinced anyone else could have done that

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

I could’ve been a pro golfer actually oh wise one.

Aye, decided against it, preferred the 9-5 grind to travelling the world competing for millions :laugh:

Well that's me convinced you're a winner!

52 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

You knew Zal was a class player after his first few appearances? You must have been the only one in our support who thought that!

Pressley was terrible during his first six months where he played mostly as a right back.

Correct on both counts as I remember it

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Aye, decided against it, preferred the 9-5 grind to travelling the world competing for millions :laugh:

Well that's me convinced you're a winner!

No I got hit with a putter and lost sight in my left eye, seeing as you asked. I don’t work 9-5 either. I didn’t say I was a winner at any point, just that I want the best for Hearts and don’t think the current manager is up to it. Happy to be proved wrong though.

57 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

I thought so yes.  Composed on the ball and always looking to make a defence splitting pass.  

I didn't think Pressley was terrible.  I thought he was one of our better players in a poor season not helped with Cameron being injured and then selling McCann and Weir.  Opinions though....

4 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

I thought so yes.  Composed on the ball and always looking to make a defence splitting pass.  

Zaliukas in his first season?

:wtfvlad:

Pasquale for King
56 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

The signings levein has made this season have been really good!

Add in the fact Souttar and Berra signed extended deals, Naismith stayed.

Not convinced anyone else could have done that

Not quite all of the signings have been good.

Poor - Edwards, Wighton, Doyle, Zlamal, Shaughnessy.

Average- Lee, Bozanic, Garuccio, Mitchell,Mulraney,Claire, Burns,Maclean.

Good - Uche, Dikamona

Great- Naismith,Haring,Dunne

Undecided- Vanacek ??‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

No I got hit with a putter and lost sight in my left eye, seeing as you asked. I don’t work 9-5 either. I didn’t say I was a winner at any point, just that I want the best for Hearts and don’t think the current manager is up to it. Happy to be proved wrong though.

That sounds like a dull one, hope it doesn't bother you still.

We all (interlopers aside) want the best for Hearts, I think we can all forget that sometimes. But it gets pretty mental, people have been getting called fan boys, loyalists, for supporting the Hearts manager. It pisses me off no end but we should probably all show each other a bit more respect, we might disagree on how it's to be done but we all want the best. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

That sounds like a dull one, hope it doesn't bother you still.

We all (interlopers aside) want the best for Hearts, I think we can all forget that sometimes. But it gets pretty mental, people have been getting called fan boys, loyalists, for supporting the Hearts manager. It pisses me off no end but we should probably all show each other a bit more respect, we might disagree on how it's to be done but we all want the best. 

Agreed.

23 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Was it a preferred lie? 

Pasquale for King
39 minutes ago, VladMagic said:

Was it a preferred lie? 

You’re a funny *****, careful I might bump into you.

Edited by Pasquale for King

3 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Correct, you are unrealistic and deluded.

I asked you what was acceptable, not what you dream of us achieving. We all want to win trophies, however, there needs to be a level of realism and pragmatism attached to what is actually achievable right now.

We’ve put in a reasonable challenge 4 or 5 times for the league in 60 years since we last won it. 

We’ve won only 4 trophies in that period. 

Yet it’s not solely about winning trophies.

It is about the long term future of the club.

Building the club up through its infrastructure. 

Developing young players for the Academy and eventually the first team. 

Signing young players from other clubs and selling them on for a profit. 

Building ties with other Countries to bring in more promising talent. 

All these things are done so we can move towards sustaining a top 3-4 finish and challenging for trophies over 10-20 years, not 4-5 times over a 60 year period.

It takes time to build a team that can achieve those things. The problem is you want it all to happen yesterday. You don’t seem to accept that these things are all falling in to place at the moment and that we will continue to improve season by season, both on and off the park.

You’ve mentioned 97/98 and 05/06. 

In 95/96 JJ achieved 4th, QF of the League Cup and the Final of the Scottish Cup.

In 96/97 JJ achieved 4th, 4th round of the Scottish Cup and a League Cup Final. 

So you see, 97/98 didn’t just magically happen. It took two seasons of laying the foundations before we could achieve what we did.

But what happened after that? We fell to pieces because we never had the right structure in place to keep at that level.

In 2005/06 we had players on silly money. We’re not going down the road of buying but success anymore.

We are challenging for trophies and European Football as we have already reached one semi final, favourites for a SC semi final and are sitting in a position in the league to finish in a European spot. If we finish 4th this season and reach another semi, possibly a final, that is a good season for us and surely beyond what we expected to achieve.

You don’t seem to understand that Aberdeen, Killie and Hibs also seek to achieve the same things and are not simply going to roll over and allow us to finish 3rd every season. It’s a very competitive league but we are better placed than all those clubs to go further. 

But let’s just sacked the manager, the DoF, Budge, tear down all the good work etc etc.., because we won’t win everything this season.

Fantastic post!

I asked you what was acceptable, not what you dream of us achieving. We all want to win trophies, however, there needs to be a level of realism and pragmatism attached to what is actually achievable right now.

We’ve put in a reasonable challenge 4 or 5 times for the league in 60 years since we last won it. 

All these things are done so we can move towards sustaining a top 3-4 finish and challenging for trophies over 10-20 years, not 4-5 times over a 60 year period.

It takes time to build a team that can achieve those things. The problem is you want it all to happen yesterday. You don’t seem to accept that these things are all falling in to place at the moment and that we will continue to improve season by season, both on and off the park.

In 95/96 JJ achieved 4th, QF of the League Cup and the Final of the Scottish Cup.

So you see, 97/98 didn’t just magically happen. It took two seasons of laying the foundations before we could achieve what we did.

But what happened after that? We fell to pieces because we never had the right structure in place to keep at that level.

In 2005/06 we had players on silly money. We’re not going down the road of buying but success anymore.

We are challenging for trophies and European Football as we have already reached one semi final, favourites for a SC semi final and are sitting in a position in the league to finish in a European spot. If we finish 4th this season and reach another semi, possibly a final, that is a good season for us and surely beyond what we expected to achieve.

You don’t seem to understand that Aberdeen, Killie and Hibs also seek to achieve the same things and are not simply going to roll over and allow us to finish 3rd every season. It’s a very competitive league but we are better placed than all those clubs to go further. 

But let’s just sacked the manager, the DoF, Budge, tear down all the good work etc etc.., because we won’t win everything this season.

:spoton:

Excellent post mate. 

4 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Truth. I haven't seen anyone put forward any names for manager. Realistic ones that is. We're in the same market as Hibs in terms of how much we can pay a manager. That means mostly going after inexperienced men in lower league jobs or unemployed managers. Like Hibs we can't afford half a million or whatever it would cost for a Steve Clarke. I wasn't excited by any of Hibs supposed options personally.

The Levein out people have about as much knowledge of who we could realistically get as manager as Ann Budge does, so you'd think they could come up with some names. The fact is Daly and McPhee would be frontrunners. I'd prefer Levein for another season.

Edited by Guest

We have the ability players to do better against the big teams than the little ones...   well, we did in September.  Tomorrow will tell us an awful lot either way about how this season ends.  I'm not for any removal of CL at this time, if we are not  4th or 5 then that is the time to open such a debate and take action.   I might have said, 3rd, under better circumstances than the months of injuries.

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

You’re a funny *****, careful I might bump into you.

Got to love a good old internet hard man 

:glorious:

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, VladMagic said:

Got to love a good old internet hard man 

:glorious:

Not me mate, stay classy though.

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not me mate, stay classy though.

I have an angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Truth. I haven't seen anyone put forward any names for manager. Realistic ones that is. We're in the same market as Hibs in terms of how much we can pay a manager. That means mostly going after inexperienced men in lower league jobs or unemployed managers. Like Hibs we can't afford half a million or whatever it would cost for a Steve Clarke. I wasn't excited by any of Hibs supposed options personally.

The Levein out people have about as much knowledge of who we could realistically get as manager as Ann Budge does, so you'd think they could come up with some names. The fact is Daly and McPhee would be frontrunners. I'd prefer Levein for another season.

It’s not really our job to come up with names though is it, what would that achieve. It’s  up to AB to get someone’s advice on who should be next if they can’t do it themselves, or hire someone to what Dempster does. I doubt if Clarke would come, or that his price would £500k. I’m not sure if there’s another manager in Scotland that would be come or be the answer. I think we need to look abroad to get someone who has no fear of the OF. The last guy did ok and only signed one player.

hatrickhartley
16 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

so reaching a semi final is successfull? 

18 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s not really our job to come up with names though is it, what would that achieve. It’s  up to AB to get someone’s advice on who should be next if they can’t do it themselves, or hire someone to what Dempster does. I doubt if Clarke would come, or that his price would £500k. I’m not sure if there’s another manager in Scotland that would be come or be the answer. I think we need to look abroad to get someone who has no fear of the OF. The last guy did ok and only signed Gary player.

Devil won ;)

21 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s not really our job to come up with names though is it, what would that achieve. It’s  up to AB to get someone’s advice on who should be next if they can’t do it themselves, or hire someone to what Dempster does. I doubt if Clarke would come, or that his price would £500k. I’m not sure if there’s another manager in Scotland that would be come or be the answer. I think we need to look abroad to get someone who has no fear of the OF. The last guy did ok and only signed one player.

Is it your job to judge the current manager in that case? You obviously think you know what makes a good manager, so lets here some names. Who will Budge consult exactly? She's a fan like us. Why hire another suit like Dempster to do it? I'm all for someone better than Levein if we can find someone within the price range, who will work with our set-up and do the academy stuff as well. Sacking Levein now would be madness. 

Love the guy for obvious reasons, but Sergio had us finishing 5th. He did beat the OF a few times, and took some hammerings off hem, but he also got beat by the teams Levein is being criticized for getting beat by.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Right.... Iv played Golf many a time iv been hit with golf balls walking the sog past my local course , Iv even tripped over the tee peg but without being a dick about your sightloss toward you I have to ask. How on earth you got hit with a putter? If youd said iron or wood i could of imagined it coming out someones hand and whacking you. I just can’t comprehend the putter. 

On the subject under discussion however , what @Cruyff Turn said above that you said you could pick holes in was to many fans spot on. Im interested in your position and how that can challenge any of the points the poster made. 

@HattrickHartley a semi final in both cups and a good league finish has to be viewed as a decent season. They don’t come around every year. What we are building infrastructure wise should mean that becomes more commonplace and shouldn’t be viewed as a decent season but a standard we expect. 

Everyone wants success , wants trophies , wants cup finals , wants to see us putting a challenge in for the league. Some just have patience to see what develops from the foundations we are building.

32 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

In fairness Levein only has one I so you are in good company ;)

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Well this is it. I believe if Levein goes then we’d need a DoF as well as a manager and possibly an assistant. Then of course they’d want their own players etc...

And of course you’re spot on, we’d be talking 100’s of thousands to bring in a manager doing well elsewhere on top of all that.

Its simply unrealistic unless we get as you say someone who’s not had a job in a while.

45 minutes ago, hatrickhartley said:

so reaching a semi final is successfull? 

I think managing to compete well two cups and for a European place with all the injuries we’ve had this season is a good effort. When was the last time we managed to make a possible two semi finals and top 4 finish in a season? 

4 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Well this is it. I believe if Levein goes then we’d need a DoF as well as a manager and possibly an assistant. Then of course they’d want their own players etc...

And of course you’re spot on, we’d be talking 100’s of thousands to bring in a manager doing well elsewhere on top of all that.

Its simply unrealistic unless we get as you say someone who’s not had a job in a while.

I think managing to compete well two cups and for a European place with all the injuries we’ve had this season is a good effort. When was the last time we managed to make a possible two semi finals and top 4 finish in a season? 

I think we'll try the succession route (McPhee, Daly, Kirk) given it worked with Neilson and we'll want to give it another shot. 

Aside from that, I think it's almost guaranteed Steven Pressley will be our manager sometime. Won't be a popular choice with everyone. I get the calls for a foreign coach, and Germany would be worth a look, but we've had good success with managers who really get Hearts inside out (as do other clubs - Bournemouth and Man U just now for example). Sergio was a bit of an outlier but none of the Romanov era ones can really be judged that well. Elvis is the only one I can think of who could be a realistic choice, unless Gary Naysmith does well. Had high hopes for Paul Hartley but no chance now.

Robbo would be in the frame probably. Not the worst choice. Seems to be doing well at Caley.

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

I think we'll try the succession route (McPhee, Daly, Kirk) given it worked with Neilson and we'll want to give it another shot. 

Aside from that, I think it's almost guaranteed Steven Pressley will be our manager sometime. Won't be a popular choice with everyone. I get the calls for a foreign coach, and Germany would be worth a look, but we've had good success with managers who really get Hearts inside out (as do other clubs - Bournemouth and Man U just now for example). Sergio was a bit of an outlier but none of the Romanov era ones can really be judged that well. Elvis is the only one I can think of who could be a realistic choice, unless Gary Naysmith does well. Had high hopes for Paul Hartley but no chance now.

Robbo would be in the frame probably. Not the worst choice. Seems to be doing well at Caley.

If you listen to last weeks Scarves around the Funnel then they were speaking about Hartley and how he’s more like the character who played for us than the guy who was at Dundee. Maybe a wee break and reset might help him move forward in his managerial career.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Is it your job to judge the current manager in that case? You obviously think you know what makes a good manager, so lets here some names. Who will Budge consult exactly? She's a fan like us. Why hire another suit like Dempster to do it? I'm all for someone better than Levein if we can find someone within the price range, who will work with our set-up and do the academy stuff as well. Sacking Levein now would be madness. 

Love the guy for obvious reasons, but Sergio had us finishing 5th. He did beat the OF a few times, and took some hammerings off hem, but he also got beat by the teams Levein is being criticized for getting beat by.

As I said her job to decide who is manager not mine as I don’t have a say/choice do I? As a fan it’s my job to support the club financially and at games, which I do I  have the right to criticise any part of the club that I see fit, it’s unlikely to stop me contributing the money i do every year just now (thousands of you count it up) like everyone else. 

The difference was that Sergio had to make do with the team he was left and eventually moulded a good team by loaning out Sutton and bringing in Beattie. He won the only semi final he managed, CL hasn’t done that. The club was in turmoil with Vlad and his monetary  woes that led to players not being paid. He would come back in a heartbeat and we could do a lot worse.

9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

As I said her job to decide who is manager not mine as I don’t have a say/choice do I? As a fan it’s my job to support the club financially and at games, which I do I  have the right to criticise any part of the club that I see fit, it’s unlikely to stop me contributing the money i do every year just now (thousands of you count it up) like everyone else. 

The difference was that Sergio had to make do with the team he was left and eventually moulded a good team by loaning out Sutton and bringing in Beattie. He won the only semi final he managed, CL hasn’t done that. The club was in turmoil with Vlad and his monetary  woes that led to players not being paid. He would come back in a heartbeat and we could do a lot worse.

Pretty sure Vlad signed Beattie. Not sure how much moulding Sergio did. He inherited a team that got 3rd and took it to 5th. He did turn around our cup form though, as Levein has done this season. 

Hibs fans were giving the same, mostly emotional, nostalgic arguments for getting Stubbs back.

35 minutes ago, sadj said:

If you listen to last weeks Scarves around the Funnel then they were speaking about Hartley and how he’s more like the character who played for us than the guy who was at Dundee. Maybe a wee break and reset might help him move forward in his managerial career.

He could be worth a go if he tries again with a lower league club and does well. I honestly don't think having a manager who totally gets and loves the club can be underestimated.

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Best post apart from mine on Here for a while. 

?

Too much sense. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, sadj said:

Right.... Iv played Golf many a time iv been hit with golf balls walking the sog past my local course , Iv even tripped over the tee peg but without being a dick about your sightloss toward you I have to ask. How on earth you got hit with a putter? If youd said iron or wood i could of imagined it coming out someones hand and whacking you. I just can’t comprehend the putter. 

On the subject under discussion however , what @Cruyff Turn said above that you said you could pick holes in was to many fans spot on. Im interested in your position and how that can challenge any of the points the poster made. 

@HattrickHartley a semi final in both cups and a good league finish has to be viewed as a decent season. They don’t come around every year. What we are building infrastructure wise should mean that becomes more commonplace and shouldn’t be viewed as a decent season but a standard we expect. 

Everyone wants success , wants trophies , wants cup finals , wants to see us putting a challenge in for the league. Some just have patience to see what develops from the foundations we are building.

I had answered quite a few of his points over the last two days and was frankly sick of repeating it and hearing the same argument baca. He contradicts himself by saying it takes time to build all these things and that people want success now,  then says we can finish 4th and maybe win the cup? We are struggling just now and if our past results are anything to go by we won’t get 4th, or win the cup, and might get beat off PT and finish below Hibs in the bottom

6. That probably won’t happen obviously and hopefully a rousing atmosphere tomorrow can help us get a result and back on track. 

Ive messaged you about my eye injury.

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

I had answered quite a few of his points over the last two days and was frankly sick of repeating it and hearing the same argument baca. He contradicts himself by saying it takes time to build all these things and that people want success now,  then says we can finish 4th and maybe win the cup? We are struggling just now and if our past results are anything to go by we won’t get 4th, or win the cup, and might get beat off PT and finish below Hibs in the bottom

6. That probably won’t happen obviously and hopefully a rousing atmosphere tomorrow can help us get a result and back on track. 

But you are advocating for the return of a manger who took a 3rd placed team and had them finishing 5th. He did win a cup but you're acting like winning a cup is a must-have for any Hearts manager, which is ridiculous given how few cups we've won in our history.

Exactly what would be your expectation for a new manager and who do you think we can afford who would fit the bill?

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Pretty sure Vlad signed Beattie. Not sure how much moulding Sergio did. He inherited a team that got 3rd and took it to 5th. He did turn around our cup form though, as Levein has done this season. 

Hibs fans were giving the same, mostly emotional, nostalgic arguments for getting Stubbs back.

Strangely enough the team that finished 3rd couldn’t cope without Kyle up front and struggled towards the end of the season.

We couldn’t have got Beattie without freeing up Suttons wages.

He started the season with Hamill at RB, Black/Jonson/Mroweic in midfield with Sutton/Stevo and Elliot as strikers with Temps as a winger. The team that played at Hampden looked vastly different due to injuries and guys leaving. I would  say he moulded that team. Gowser was really complimentary about Sergio in that interview he did recently, and revealed what a crazy situation the club found itself in. You contradict yourself by saying glibly he did win a cup then say how rare it is? Also slating Stubbs who did it also, and will be next to Trumbull as most revered Hibs manager ever, mo matter his many failings. Sergio fits the bill for me, you asked for a name and I gave you it.

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Strangely enough the team that finished 3rd couldn’t cope without Kyle up front and struggled towards the end of the season.

We couldn’t have got Beattie without freeing up Suttons wages.

He started the season with Hamill at RB, Black/Jonson/Mroweic in midfield with Sutton/Stevo and Elliot as strikers with Temps as a winger. The team that played at Hampden looked vastly different due to injuries and guys leaving. I would  say he moulded that team. Gowser was really complimentary about Sergio in that interview he did recently, and revealed what a crazy situation the club found itself in. 

Listen I like Sergio, but let's not portray him as some sort of football managerial genius. His league form was iffy to say the least.

I think his best move was turning Barr into an excellent defensive midfielder alongside Black. He did also make good use of Gowser who had already broken into the team under JJ. He also had Rudi, even more of a talisman than Naismith. 

Your comment about Kyle is ironic considering how you've been downplaying this season's injuries. Are you saying JJ deserved to go? Because he was very unfortunate to become another Vlad victim. Although the people constantly calling for replacement managers after half a season do have a lot in common with Vlad!

Edited by Guest

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Listen I like Sergio, but let's not portray him as some sort of football managerial genius. His league form was iffy to say the least.

Your comment about Kyle is ironic considering how you've been downplaying this season's injuries. Are you saying JJ deserved to go? Because he was very unfortunate to become another Vlad victim. Although the people constantly calling for replacement managers after half a season do have a lot in common with Vlad!

I'm not too keen on that argument. It was JJ's team he was playing with which had been set up to play in a certain way. Perhaps with his own players we'd have seen better league form. All if's and buts I suppose but certainly worth considering. 

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

I'm not too keen on that argument. It was JJ's team he was playing with which had been set up to play in a certain way. Perhaps with his own players we'd have seen better league form. All if's and buts I suppose but certainly worth considering. 

Yeah, it's hard to compare season by season really. The person I was replying too though said Sergio had moulded JJ's team into something better. In the cup, sure. In the league, not so much.

22 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I got it appreciate the response. 

I get where you are coming from but maybe in future 4th and a cup win wont be success. Maybe thats what we will expect as standard. Takes time to get there. Right bow we are building something that a lot of players and clubs buy into. Some of us look at that and although we hate the shit days or weeks and we hurt as much as anyone else we try to hold on to the process. I get that can be difficult aswell though. 

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I think his best move was turning Barr into an excellent defensive midfielder alongside Black. He did also make good use of Gowser who had already broken into the team under JJ. He also had Rudi, even more of a talisman than Naismith. 

JJ and CL have that in common, they couldn’t adapt the gameplan without the big guy up front. Sutton might well have done that job for JJ who probably was unlucky not to get more time. To be honest his signings that summer weren’t great either.  CL has had more than half a season and has signed over 30 players.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, sadj said:

I got it appreciate the response. 

I get where you are coming from but maybe in future 4th and a cup win wont be success. Maybe thats what we will expect as standard. Takes time to get there. Right bow we are building something that a lot of players and clubs buy into. Some of us look at that and although we hate the shit days or weeks and we hurt as much as anyone else we try to hold on to the process. I get that can be difficult aswell though. 

I hope we get to that point, I just don’t think CL has shown that he can do that up to now. As I said before if he does improve the situation between now and May and into the future I will be as happy as anyone to be proved wrong.

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren pinned and unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren locked this topic