Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

9 minutes ago, sadj said:

I got it appreciate the response. 

I get where you are coming from but maybe in future 4th and a cup win wont be success. Maybe thats what we will expect as standard. Takes time to get there. Right bow we are building something that a lot of players and clubs buy into. Some of us look at that and although we hate the shit days or weeks and we hurt as much as anyone else we try to hold on to the process. I get that can be difficult aswell though. 

My take is that it's not so much 4th and a cup semi final or whatever is considered a success by any Hearts fan, it's that it shouldn't really be a reason to gnash teeth, sack the manager, and rip everything up to start again.

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

29 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He contradicts himself by saying it takes time to build all these things and that people want success now,  then says we can finish 4th and maybe win the cup?

If that’s a contradiction then you clearly don’t know the meaning of the word. 

We can finish 4th. 

I’ve never said once we might win the cup. I don’t believe we could beat either of the OF on a big wide pitch because we don’t have the wide players or the pace to compete with them at the moment on that stage. We ‘might’ make a final and we certainly ‘should’ make the Semis. 

You’re going on like I’ve wronged you or something. Listen, as far as I’m concerned we’ve had a discussion and there hasn’t been any animosity there at all. We disagree but that’s the beauty of the place. We’re all in the same boat and on the same side here. ?

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

JJ and CL have that in common, they couldn’t adapt the gameplan without the big guy up front. Sutton might well have done that job for JJ who probably was unlucky not to get more time. To be honest his signings that summer weren’t great either.  

A big man upfront for JJ?   

In his first spell it was Robbo, JC and Lawrence. Only Hamilton was someone you could term a ‘big man’ but he wasn’t an out and out target man. Quite a good footballer.

Then Adam came along and Jim Ham became bit part and produced one of our best and hardest to handle sides in the last 20 years. 

16 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

JJ and CL have that in common, they couldn’t adapt the gameplan without the big guy up front. Sutton might well have done that job for JJ who probably was unlucky not to get more time. To be honest his signings that summer weren’t great either.  CL has had more than half a season and has signed over 30 players.

Come on. It wasn't that CL couldn't adapt the gameplay, it's that we only had Steven Mclean fit to play up front! And Levein had signed a replacement/back-up, he just wasn't able to secure Vanacek's release early despite trying. If he had, Vanacek would have been fit when he arrived and would have been pitched straight in. 

"CL has had more than half a season and has signed over 30 players." I see the number of players Craig signed coming up a lot as a stick to beat him with. How many were let go? He had a major rebuilding job on his hands and did it brilliantly until injuries hit. 

For a comparison, Hibs, with just two managers to our three since 2014 have signed only a couple of players fewer than us in the same period. Actually they might have drawn level after the last window. Assuming Pheckingbottom does an overhaul and Levein stays, their 3 managers will have signed way more players than us in the same time period as we only need 3 or 4 upgrades really in summer depending on who leaves.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

In his first spell it was Robbo, JC and Lawrence. Only Hamilton was someone you could term a ‘big man’ but he wasn’t an out and out target man. Quite a good footballer.

Then Adam came along and Jim Ham became bit part and produced one of our best and hardest to handle sides in the last 20 years. 

Beat me to it. JJ went for good strikers first, size irrelevant. Levein does have a thing for big target men up front, that's fair. And also to be fair, he's got good results from it, even with Kevin McKenna who also played up front in the Bundesliga sometimes.

23 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Listen I like Sergio, but let's not portray him as some sort of football managerial genius. His league form was iffy to say the least.

I think his best move was turning Barr into an excellent defensive midfielder alongside Black. He did also make good use of Gowser who had already broken into the team under JJ. He also had Rudi, even more of a talisman than Naismith. 

Your comment about Kyle is ironic considering how you've been downplaying this season's injuries. Are you saying JJ deserved to go? Because he was very unfortunate to become another Vlad victim. Although the people constantly calling for replacement managers after half a season do have a lot in common with Vlad!

JJ was very unfortunate to get the sack.

But if you cast your mind back to those days, he was hounded by a section of the support (esp if you read JKB) for our slip in form towards the end of a generally fine season in 10-11.

Even a respectable opening draw at ibrox prior to the loss v Utd which got him the sack, couldn’t save him.  But I firmly believe the board had in mind the end of season form of the previous season which helped make their decision.

1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

JJ was very unfortunate to get the sack.

But if you cast your mind back to those days, he was hounded by a section of the support (esp if you read JKB) for our slip in form towards the end of a generally fine season in 10-11.

Even a respectable opening draw at ibrox prior to the loss v Utd which got him the sack, couldn’t save him.  But I firmly believe the board had in mind the end of season form of the previous season which helped make their decision.

There is a section of our support that just has no patience anymore, ever since the Vlad years. Levein himself has alluded to it several times and he's played or managed in front of plenty of Hearts supports to know what he's talking about.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I was comparing the season when Kyle was injured and this season. But Hamilton was a big guy, as was Hans Eskilsson and Darren Beckford. 

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Come on. It wasn't that CL couldn't adapt the gameplay, it's that we only had Steven McClean fit to play up front! And Levein had signed a replacement/back-up, he just wasn't able to secure Vanacek's release early despite trying. If he had, Vanacek would have been fit when he arrived and would have been pitched straight in. 

"CL has had more than half a season and has signed over 30 players." I see the number of players Craig signed coming up a lot as a stick to beat him with. How many were let go? He had a major rebuilding job on his hands and did it brilliantly until injuries hit. 

For a comparison, Hibs, with two managers since 2014 have signed only a couple of players fewer than us in the same period. Actually they might have drawn level after the last window. Assuming Pheckingbottom does an overhaul and Levein stays, their 3 managers will have signed way more players than us in the same time period as we only need 3 or 4 upgrades really in summer depending on who leaves.

So signing duds is ok as long as they leave, don’t worry about the money. As I’ve said on this thread if you’d bothered  to read it all CL knew in July that KL was going and we needed another striker who could hold the ball up and link play. We went after Sow but got Wighton. You make it sound like it’s not CLs fault we only had Maclean, Levein himself said he was struggling to adapt after Naismith was injured, still hasn’t found a way of playing that works. Uche has had 5 operations in the last 5 years and is obviously injury prone, not that strange considering the physicality  of his game. Hibs sign on average ten players of a certain demographic every year, but that’s another discussion altogether. They haven’t signed over 100 players in 5 years as we have though.

Edited by Pasquale for King

10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

So signing duds is ok as long as they leave, don’t worry about the money. As I’ve said on this thread if you’d bothered  to read it all CL knew in July that KL was going and we needed another striker who could hold the ball up and link play. We went after Sow but got Wighton. You make it sound like it’s not CLs fault we only had Maclean, Levein himself said he was struggling to adapt after Naismith was injured, still hasn’t found a way of playing that works. Uche has had 5 operations in the last 5 years and is obviously injury prone, not that strange considering the physicality  of his game. Hibs sign on average ten players of a certain demographic every year, but that’s another discussion altogether.

But it's not CL's fault we had the worst injury crisis any of us can remember! We are not a club that can mitigate against so many top players being out at the same time. Look back at any season (outside the Vlad years) and show me a time when we had adequate cover for our two main strikers being out at the same time? Would we have won the cup with Elliot and Beattie injured for example? Or Adam and Hamilton injured in 98? Or Clark and Robbo in  86? Like I say, find me a time when we have had 4 potential first pick strikers in our squad. In fact, ironically, with Uche, Naismith, Wighton, McLean, Keena and Vanacek, we're as well off for strikers now than at any time since Burley's team. All signed by Levein. I think it's fair to see what he can do with them all.

By the way, the bit in bold - that's not what KL did. In any case, some might say signing KL, getting 19 goals from him, then a large fee was good work. With hindsight if Levein had a crystal ball, we might have kept KL longer. It was pretty clear that KL, like Walker, was off to Rangers in his head already. So why keep him when we could cash in and remove a very high earner from the wage bill? 

Edited by Guest

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

But it's not CL's fault we had the worst injury crisis any of us can remember! We are not a club that can mitigate against so many top players being out at the same time. Look back at any season (outside the Vlad years) and show me a time when we had adequate cover for our two main strikers being out at the same time? Would we have won the cup with Elliot and Beattie injured for example? Or Adam and Hamilton injured in 98? Or Clark and Robbo in  86? Like I say, find me a time when we have had 4 potential first pick strikers in our squad. In fact, ironically, with Uche, Naismith, Wighton, McLean, Keena and Vanacek, we're as well off for strikers now than at any time since Burley's team. All signed by Levein. I think it's fair to see what he can do with them all.

By the way, the bit in bold - that's not what KL did. In any case, some might say signing KL, getting 19 goals from him, then a large fee was good work. With hindsight if Levein had a crystal ball, we might have kept KL longer. It was pretty clear that KL, like Walker, was off to Rangers in his head already. So why keep him when we could cash in and remove a very high earner from the wage bill? 

At no point did I say we should’ve kept KL, everyone knew he was away and was one of the best bits of business CL did. 

He tried to sign Sow so he knew we needed that back up. He was partly responsible for making Uche play at Ibrox whilst injured, and profusely apologised to Uche for that. Whether the injury was made worse is debatable but it took over a month to diagnose it. 

As ive said before we lost all four at the same time for a month, we still haven’t recovered nearly 3 months later. You clearly can’t remember last season when over 40 players were unavailable at points during the season, including most of our midfield and Mitchell at one point.

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

At no point did I say we should’ve kept KL, everyone knew he was away and was one of the best bits of business CL did. 

He tried to sign Sow so he knew we needed that back up. He was partly responsible for making Uche play at Ibrox whilst injured, and profusely apologised to Uche for that. Whether the injury was made worse is debatable but it took over a month to diagnose it. 

As ive said before we lost all four at the same time for a month, we still haven’t recovered nearly 3 months later. You clearly can’t remember last season when over 40 players were unavailable at points during the season, including most of our midfield and Mitchell at one point.

We're going round in circles. Arra best.

Pasquale for King
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

We're going round in circles. Arra best.

Was just thinking that, see you behind the goals.

On 25/02/2019 at 19:39, tcjambo said:

Bit more respect please. I was giving my opinion which is equally valid with yours.

Yep you are right,sorry.

On 26/02/2019 at 22:48, ToqueJambo said:

Listen I like Sergio, but let's not portray him as some sort of football managerial genius. His league form was iffy to say the least.

I think his best move was turning Barr into an excellent defensive midfielder alongside Black. He did also make good use of Gowser who had already broken into the team under JJ. He also had Rudi, even more of a talisman than Naismith. 

Your comment about Kyle is ironic considering how you've been downplaying this season's injuries. Are you saying JJ deserved to go? Because he was very unfortunate to become another Vlad victim. Although the people constantly calling for replacement managers after half a season do have a lot in common with Vlad!

Your last sentence strikes a chord. We have lots of Vlads in our support and on this forum. Sack the manager after every defeat is their modus operandi. 

Most of the football during Sergio’s time in charge was worse than what we have witnessed the last three or four years. It was dire at times, particularly away from home. He won the cup which was great but people need to remember that was as much down to a Suso dive in Perth as anything else. 

It should have been ten
8 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

He won the cup which was great but people need to remember that was as much down to a Suso dive in Perth as anything else. 

:cornette:

1 hour ago, Randy Marsh said:

Mental I know.  That was an absolute stonewall penalty.  

I was about 10 yards away from it. Barely any contact. Suso’s smile / snigger to us confirmed it. 

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

I was about 10 yards away from it. Barely any contact. Suso’s smile / snigger to us confirmed it. 

So was I.  Maybury made zero contact with the ball and cleaned Suso out.  Stonewaller.

11 jobs in last 10 years suggests a man on the way down. His cv’s highlight is in Glasgow, possibly the only highlight. 

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Here's point of contact. Not sure about 10 yards away though...but, carry-on, chaps.

20190228_223405.jpg

Ok, maybe 15 yards. Second row. Time affects the memory when you get to my age. Your pic proves no-ones point though 

Just now, Barack said:

Exactly. 

As always it’s all about opinion. Need to ask Suso for the answer. Maybury denies enough contact for pen. 

On 26/02/2019 at 12:34, Pasquale for King said:

At no point did I say 4th was acceptable, that’s your low expectations making stuff up again. We’re 6 points off third and 6 points off 7th, as I said before because we’re going round in circles, our form is in decline. You have no basis to form the opinion that we will pick up and get to 4th. Now go and sit you with your happy clappers in the dunces corner.

So forth isn’t acceptable? If forth isn’t ‘acceptable’ then you should pack in supporting Hearts. Given we are competing in a league that has two teams with x3/x4 the average attendance compared ourselves and then up against Aberdeen and Hibs who are roughly the same size as us, then depending on the season we/they have anywhere between 3rd to 5th is about expected. Obviously I’d rather we finished 3rd than 5th and even 1st rather than 3rd but you need to be realistic.

In a few seasons once the stand is fulfilling its revenue potential and the academy structure is maturing then we could break away from the chasing pack, but for now we need to be realistic with what is ‘acceptable’ achievements.

35 minutes ago, DalryJambo said:

So forth isn’t acceptable? If forth isn’t ‘acceptable’ then you should pack in supporting Hearts. Given we are competing in a league that has two teams with x3/x4 the average attendance compared ourselves and then up against Aberdeen and Hibs who are roughly the same size as us, then depending on the season we/they have anywhere between 3rd to 5th is about expected. Obviously I’d rather we finished 3rd than 5th and even 1st rather than 3rd but you need to be realistic.

In a few seasons once the stand is fulfilling its revenue potential and the academy structure is maturing then we could break away from the chasing pack, but for now we need to be realistic with what is ‘acceptable’ achievements.

Are you talking about the Firth of Forth or Fourth?

It should have been ten
2 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

Mental I know.  That was an absolute stonewall penalty.  

100% stonewaller bud ?

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

:spoton:reaction.

Cheers mate ?

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, DalryJambo said:

I did say that I have unrealistic expectations every season. We have a higher budget than Hibs and a lot more than Killie who are above us again. Seeing as I’ve been a Hearts fan since my first game in 1972 aged 2 1/2 I will probably stick with it thanks.

Clerry Jambo

If halkett signing is true and he’s trying to tie up players on long term contracts it doesn’t seem the gaffer is maybe leaving as suggested

Rock ‘n’ Roll star.
6 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

If halkett signing is true and he’s trying to tie up players on long term contracts it doesn’t seem the gaffer is maybe leaving as suggested

Perhaps.

Or maybe he’s keen to leave the club with a solid foundation on which a new manager can build from.

On 26/02/2019 at 23:54, Pasquale for King said:

You just seem to be arguing with yourself.

You continually blame CL for our performances and then come out with a last paragraph like that.  What planet are you on?

Clerry Jambo
1 hour ago, Rock ‘n’ Roll star. said:

Perhaps.

Or maybe he’s keen to leave the club with a solid foundation on which a new manager can build from.

Also true

Enzo Chiefo
13 hours ago, DalryJambo said:

I genuinely don't think our academy will allow us to "break away from the chasing pack". It's been up and running for years , was unfortunately financially neglegted during Vlad's time but has thankfully been given priority under the present regime.  There is nothing to suggest the products of our academy will be any better than those from other clubs. Last season, several youngsters got a run in the first team but  for whatever reason, their progress appears to have stalled this term. Hamilton U19's for example have been competing and winning in the UEFA youth league while Motherwell and others have introduced a couple of Academy products into their first team. 

The point being made is that a lot of us think that the existing squad could achieve better things with a change of manager and fresh ideas being introduced.  Others disagree which is fair enough. 

The Real Maroonblood
On 28/02/2019 at 18:16, siegementality said:

His time is still up.

Unfortunately he’ll probably stay as long as wants to.

58 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Unfortunately he’ll probably stay as long as wants to.

I think he was given a job to do in his 3 years, and while we do target Europe, cup runs, etc, I think his job for the three years is also about building a spine for the team (see the long term contracts being given to key players now), and getting some youth ready or almost ready for the first team. I think overall we're in good shape in that respect. Without the injuries we'd probably be looking at 3rd as well as two cup runs. if we end up 4th/5th and one or two semi finals minimum that's a decent season on top of all the other stuff he's doing to stabilise the club.

I get the impatience in some fans, but we had a near death experience If you have a heart attack you put in place a long term plan. You don't jump back into running marathons.

The Real Maroonblood
25 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I think he was given a job to do in his 3 years, and while we do target Europe, cup runs, etc, I think his job for the three years is also about building a spine for the team (see the long term contracts being given to key players now), and getting some youth ready or almost ready for the first team. I think overall we're in good shape in that respect. Without the injuries we'd probably be looking at 3rd as well as two cup runs. if we end up 4th/5th and one or two semi finals minimum that's a decent season on top of all the other stuff he's doing to stabilise the club.

I get the impatience in some fans, but we had a near death experience If you have a heart attack you put in place a long term plan. You don't jump back into running marathons.

I understand your sentiments so we’ll see what happens.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

A win on Monday will kill this thread dead..........lose and we go into total meltdown!

9 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

A win on Monday will kill this thread dead..........lose and we go into total meltdown!

Some seem to love a good meltdown. 

Enzo Chiefo
21 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Some seem to love a good meltdown. 

Those that have the club's interest at heart, I would suspect. 

siegementality
1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

I doubt very much that beating Partick Thistle will change some fans minds on CL’s ability to deliver success. Win the two cup games after that then maybe.

Bottom line is we need to start picking up points again ASAP. That run of (very winnable) games v the bottom 6 between Killie away and Wednesday night was a great chance to pull ourselves back up the table into the mix for Europe but instead we are now just as close to a Hibs side we were double figures ahead of last month as we are to Killie (who now have a game in hand). Thats a very worrying swing of points and questions need to start being asked of how much further the current management team can take us.

I’ve got all the respect in the world for Levein for everything he’s done for us, rebuilding our academy & restoring some sense of order to the club after the dark days but if we really have ambitions of getting back up there with the big guns then something needs to change and unfortunately the signs are pointing at him

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, boag1874 said:

Bottom line is we need to start picking up points again ASAP. That run of (very winnable) games v the bottom 6 between Killie away and Wednesday night was a great chance to pull ourselves back up the table into the mix for Europe but instead we are now just as close to a Hibs side we were double figures ahead of last month as we are to Killie (who now have a game in hand). Thats a very worrying swing of points and questions need to start being asked of how much further the current management team can take us.

I’ve got all the respect in the world for Levein for everything he’s done for us, rebuilding our academy & restoring some sense of order to the club after the dark days but if we really have ambitions of getting back up there with the big guns then something needs to change and unfortunately the signs are pointing at him

Great post. 

On 26/02/2019 at 23:01, Pasquale for King said:

JJ and CL have that in common, they couldn’t adapt the gameplan without the big guy up front. Sutton might well have done that job for JJ who probably was unlucky not to get more time. To be honest his signings that summer weren’t great either.  CL has had more than half a season and has signed over 30 players.

JJ took one look at Sutton in training and thought WTF? Sutton was immobile and totally powder puff.

Kyle aside, I cant think of any other JJ big targetmen... Hamilton? At a stretch I suppose, but he was more of a poacher I thought.

Honestly not sure where you are getting this from. We’re you around for most of JJ’s time at Hearts?

1 hour ago, boag1874 said:

All that's required is a bit of patience.

The whole club is growing and getting better by the week, the playing side will follow. 

The potential in the squad has been there all season for everybody to see. Hopefully the injury nightmare is behind us and we can put a settled side on pitch week in week out. 

siegementality
5 hours ago, Artful Dodger said:

All that's required is a bit of patience.

The whole club is growing and getting better by the week, the playing side will follow. 

The potential in the squad has been there all season for everybody to see. Hopefully the injury nightmare is behind us and we can put a settled side on pitch week in week out. 

Sorry but the CL “plan” looks no closer today than it did five years ago. Meanwhile,  the money that has been wasted - and continues to be wasted - on mediocre players     gives me no confidence that things will magically be better with a bit patience.

1 minute ago, siegementality said:

Sorry but the CL “plan” looks no closer today than it did five years ago. Meanwhile,  the money that has been wasted - and continues to be wasted - on mediocre players     gives me no confidence that things will magically be better with a bit patience.

5 years ago we couldn't compete with Celtic, now we can. 

The players aren't mediocre. 

It's the club's money, they can do what they like with it. 

Bridge of Djoum
5 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

JJ took one look at Sutton in training and thought WTF? Sutton was immobile and totally powder puff.

Kyle aside, I cant think of any other JJ big targetmen... Hamilton? At a stretch I suppose, but he was more of a poacher I thought.

Honestly not sure where you are getting this from. We’re you around for most of JJ’s time at Hearts?

Hamilton was not a target man. 

JJ did not have a history of employing  target men to my recollection. Not at Hearts anyway. I looked at the poster of the comment and quickly decided he was talking utter gash. 

15 hours ago, siegementality said:

I doubt very much that beating Partick Thistle will change some fans minds on CL’s ability to deliver success. Win the two cup games after that then maybe.

Just ‘maybe’ ?

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren pinned and unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren locked this topic