Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

Nookie Bear
7 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Overnight? We're nearing the end of the 5 year plan. Can you detail how successful that has been to date?

You would need to know exactly what the 5 Year Plan before you can say if it's been a success or not. 

I understand that we need to put foundations in place for the future but that doesn't excuse the fact we are probably 10 points off where a squad of our calibre should be. At some point we need to look after the present.

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

pettigrewsstylist
7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Different eras mate.

Some would label the football industrial and limited.  We would be lucky to finish games with 7 men with refs like Beaton and Collum playing that way.

His team was massively reliant on Robbo and struggled when teams marked him out the game.

Good manager with some good memories but just wouldn't work out now.

Treatment room had more of an echo tho if memory serves correctly.

12 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Overnight? We're nearing the end of the 5 year plan. Can you detail how successful that has been to date?

A plan is exactly that - it is a plan and plans don't always work out, not even yours.  It was not a 100% promise that could not possibly be fulfilled because other teams are not watching idly by and saying "well done Hearts"..

While I am not ecstatic about things I would have settled for this 5 years ago.  Be grateful for what you have and if you are a PHM then get behind the team and forget your negative crap.

Alex Kintner
20 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I don't recall Alex MacDonald stating that he was struggling to find a syatem that would allow us to score goals, because of injuries. He surpassed anything Levein has achieved as a player or a manager and in that respect, yes, he was a winner. He was able to win at Hampden, Ibrox and Parkhead, he took us to within 7 mins of the league title and a baw hair from the last 4 in the UEFA Cup. Good luck finding any Hearts fan that would ptefer the bore fest we get under Levein to the spell that Doddie had in charge.  

Don’t remember Doddy dealing with Sandy Clark and Robbo being injured at the same time for four months or he might well have made a similar statement.

MacDonald only had those successes with us because we stuck with him through the bad times. Why not give Levein the same opportunity?

7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Different eras mate.

Some would label the football industrial and limited.  We would be lucky to finish games with 7 men with refs like Beaton and Collum playing that way.

His team was massively reliant on Robbo and struggled when teams marked him out the game.

Good manager with some good memories but just wouldn't work out now.

Totally agree. Much like the conversations we have on here about the atmosphere or crowd behaviour and people’s enjoyment of attending matches. It’s football that has changed, not just Hearts, and I think some people need to realise this when demanding we change managers every season. Things have changed and we can’t change them back.

Nookie Bear
6 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

A plan is exactly that - it is a plan and plans don't always work out, not even yours.  It was not a 100% promise that could not possibly be fulfilled because other teams are not watching idly by and saying "well done Hearts"..

While I am not ecstatic about things I would have settled for this 5 years ago.  Be grateful for what you have and if you are a PHM then get behind the team and forget your negative crap.

Agree that plans need to be flexible. 

What was the plan, by the way? I assume building the Main Stand was the essential bit. 

Finlay James
9 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Ok, no problem:

1.  We budgeted and predicted that we would spend up to 3 years in the championship upon exiting administration.  We won the championship at a canter and were automatically promoted after year one.

2.  Year two, we finished 3rd in the SPL 

3.  Year three, we were back in Europe 

4.  Alongside this, we planned to rebuild the main stand and modernize the pitch.  We've done this (albeit due to circumstance) well ahead of schedule.

5.  We planned to completely overhaul the academy and vastly improve our coaching, scouting and networks.  We've done this but now that the foundations are in place, the hard work starts now.  To take this forward, we have set up ties with Balerno high school, partnerships with US soccer and St Patrick's athletic in Ireland.  As such, our reach has grown significantly.  Last season, we had the highest number of minutes played by youth players in Europe.  As you know, we have 2-3 cohorts of players ready to make the 1st team on a regular basis.  Cochrane, McDonald, Keena, Brandon, Godinho, Morrison are now regularly in 1st team squads and behind them, Aaron Hickey is getting close too.  Connor Smith and Chris Hamilton regularly play for Scotland and are likely to be part of 1st team squads from next season.  Below them in the age groups, we have some amazing talents coming through.  

6.  This season we have reached one semi final and tomorrow we have an excellent chance of reaching another.  We are also only 6 points off of 3rd place.  

7.  I could go on and on if you want me to

I see what you mean though, we are disjointed and have failed since Levein took over.

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

What was the plan, by the way? I assume building the Main Stand was the essential bit. 

Sorting out the academy was another big part iirc

Enzo Chiefo
14 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Ok, no problem:

1.  We budgeted and predicted that we would spend up to 3 years in the championship upon exiting administration.  We won the championship at a canter and were automatically promoted after year one.

4.  Alongside this, we planned to rebuild the main stand and modernize the pitch.  We've done this (albeit due to circumstance) well ahead of schedule.

5.  We planned to completely overhaul the academy and vastly improve our coaching, scouting and networks.  We've done this but now that the foundations are in place, the hard work starts now.  To take this forward, we have set up ties with Balerno high school, partnerships with US soccer and St Patrick's athletic in Ireland.  As such, our reach has grown significantly.  Last season, we had the highest number of minutes played by youth players in Europe.  As you know, we have 2-3 cohorts of players ready to make the 1st team on a regular basis.  Cochrane, McDonald, Keena, Brandon, Godinho, Morrison are now regularly in 1st team squads and behind them, Aaron Hickey is getting close too.  Connor Smith and Chris Hamilton regularly play for Scotland and are likely to be part of 1st team squads from next season.  Below them in the age groups, we have some amazing talents coming through.  

6.  This season we have reached one semi final and tomorrow we have an excellent chance of reaching another.  We are also only 6 points off of 3rd place.  

I see what you mean though, we are disjointed and have failed since Levein took over.

It all  sounds great but, in reality, we have turned over 100 players and, basically created a "pop up" team every summer. Jack Ross, Robbie Neilson and Ian Cathro have all come and gone too. The 5 year plan certainly didn't include the DOF also being the Head Coach. Time will tell whether the youngsters are good enough or not. Arguably, other clubs are ahead of us in that respect. Motherwell have successfully introduced youngsters into their side and stuck with them. Hamilton's U 19s are also competing in the UEFA Youth League. Why Harry Cochrane has barely kicked a ball, despite being on the bench most weeks, is a mystery. Youngsters coming through Academies is not a new phenomenon and certainly not unique to us but at first team level, yes, i think things are disjointed.

33 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Ok, no problem:

Great post, all based on fact and reality.

It won't catch on unfortunately ???

40 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Ok, no problem:

This guy gets Hearts .All sweet music to my ears and sweet cake to my eyes , i'd love FJ to go on but i'm sure others on here would still slate HMFC / CL no matter the positives

Finlay James
16 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

It all  sounds great but, in reality, we have turned over 100 players and, basically created a "pop up" team every summer. Jack Ross, Robbie Neilson and Ian Cathro have all come and gone too. The 5 year plan certainly didn't include the DOF also being the Head Coach. Time will tell whether the youngsters are good enough or not. Arguably, other clubs are ahead of us in that respect. Motherwell have successfully introduced youngsters into their side and stuck with them. Hamilton's U 19s are also competing in the UEFA Youth League. Why Harry Cochrane has barely kicked a ball, despite being on the bench most weeks, is a mystery. Youngsters coming through Academies is not a new phenomenon and certainly not unique to us but at first team level, yes, i think things are disjointed.

If you can't see positives in how the club is being ran right now, you never will.

By the way, things will not always be perfect.  We certainly didn't plan to have Levein as head coach but things happen, just like they do at all clubs.  

Nookie Bear
48 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Ok, no problem:

Cheers FJ ??

Alex Kintner
17 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You make it sound as if Motherwell have just unearthed the next batch of Beckham/Scholes/Nevilles/Butt. They’ve got two players in Campbell and Turnbull who have made about 20 appearances this season. They are going to turn 20 and 21 soon on their next birthdays. It’s a bit different from introducing 16 and 17 year olds like we did last year. I’m pretty sure by the time Cochrane, MacDonald, Hamilton, Morrison and Brandon reach 20/21 they’ll be first team regulars too.

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

If someone doesn't know what the plan was (and I don't) then it is hard to see how they can criticise it.  A plan can only be as flexible as resources allow and without shed loads of money I struggle to see how we could have got replacements in to cover the key players who were injured - not to mention the signing limitations of transfer windows.  What between that and bad reffing decisions we might even have been sitting top of the ;eague today.

43 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The only thing disjointed is some of the skewed nonsense you post.

1. Neilson wanted to be his own man which is fair enough.  Ross' departure has been covered on here before and the least said the better..  Cathro was a bold experiment using a Scottish coach with foreign experience but, yes, it failed.

2 Interviews were held for a new H/coach but our plan was flexible enough to allow the DoF (who was deemed to be the best man for the job) to take over.

3. Every club comes up with decent youngsters every now and again but surprisingly you chose Motherwell who are below us in the league.  Well done!

4. Hamilton have a decent history (Billy Reid/Alex Neil) of bringing through young talent but somehow flirt with relegation/promotion every year.  Is that what you want?

Keep up your tirade.

Captain Bubblebeard
16 hours ago, siegementality said:

So CL’s objective was to build a stand and have a new pitch, really?

No. A brief glance at the table tells me we are 6pts off third and 3 off fourth. That is a better position than we were five years ago. The original comment said we were no further on than we were five years ago, which is patent nonsense.

Whether we are as far along as we should/could be in that time is not so clear cut. If you’d asked me five years ago if I’d accept being in the hunt for third with all the obvious off field improvements (which some people seem to think miraculously pay for themselves and are completely independent of investment in the football side of things), I think I’d have been happy.

Unknown user

I get that some just don't rate Levein, and how that can lead to them seeing the negative side of everything to do with him. We're all entitled to our view.

But at the end of the day it's very boring, no one likes someone relentlessly trying to convince you everything's shit.

Edited by Smithee

colinmaroon
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

I get that some just don't rate Levein, and how that can lead to them seeing the negative side of everything to do with him. We're all entitled to our view.

But at the end of the day it's very boring, no one likes someone relentlessly trying convince you everything's shit.

There is NO HOPE, you know!

Mind numbing, negative, hope-less, depressing, disheartening, gloomy brain sludge!

8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

But at the end of the day it's very boring, no one likes someone relentlessly trying convince you everything's shit.

Spot on.  Trying to reason with them on here and they stick their fingers in their ears and ignore you then reappear repeating the same crap.

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c7bf519634231414d

3 hours ago, Finlay James said:

If you can show me where anyone at the club states that all of this would happen over night, your post may have some credibility.  Cutting a long story short, all of what you describe involves complete cultural change, takes time and needs to go through cycles.

It will require patience but will bring greater rewards going forward.  The signs are very much that we are heading in the right direction.

Did Ann not tell Robbie she expected no less than 3rd.

JamboGraham
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Did Ann not tell Robbie she expected no less than 3rd.

In the Championship?

1 hour ago, Artful Dodger said:

Great post, all based on fact and reality.

It won't catch on unfortunately ???

And 6 points off 7th. 

16 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Because we have fans on here saying Levein has to go because last season we finished 6th and this season we’re sitting 5th. Some are saying his “time is up” and “any other Hearts manager would have been sacked for Levein’s performance.” Alex MacDonald’s time as Hearts boss pisses all over their argument. In 83/84 we finished 5th and then in 84/85 we finished 7th under Alex MacDonald  and he wasn’t sacked. The board rightly stuck by him. Even when we started 85/86 terribly the board stuck by him and we all know what happened next... 

The competition in the 80s was phenomenal. Unlike now. 

Bridge of Djoum

Folk still conversing with Enzo like it's going to make the slightest difference.

Bridge of Djoum
4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

And 6 points off 7th. 

And 6 points off 3rd.

Amazing what spin can do, eh?

JamboGraham
7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Top division.

Are you asking or telling? Not something I have heard before...was that in his first season up or second?

3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I don't recall Alex MacDonald stating that he was struggling to find a syatem that would allow us to score goals, because of injuries. He surpassed anything Levein has achieved as a player or a manager and in that respect, yes, he was a winner. He was able to win at Hampden, Ibrox and Parkhead, he took us to within 7 mins of the league title and a baw hair from the last 4 in the UEFA Cup. Good luck finding any Hearts fan that would ptefer the bore fest we get under Levein to the spell that Doddie had in charge.  

The point that has been made many times is that it took doddie several years to build a team capable of that.

He needed a spine in place first. All our winning teams had that spine as the foundation and all took a while to build. That includes the 05/06 team that had a spine created a couple of years before by... guess who.

Levein is clearly attempting to put that spine in place.

2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

What’s this 100 players thing? We’ve been revuilding in case you hadn’t noticed. That 100 includes rebuilding a squad for the championship from virtually nothing, upgrading a championship squad to a premiership one with a target of top 6, then upgrading to a squad to get into Europe. At that same time we had two manager changes. Plus extra cover for all the injuries. So it’s not exactly been a normal few years.

For comparison, Hibs have had similar player turnover with just one manager change. Their next window will see many more changes than us because of their new manager. We only need a few upgrades.

Edited by Guest

13 hours ago, siegementality said:

No it’s not. Unlike a “normal” manager - working under a DOF - CL hasn’t had his hands tied. Effectively he has had a say on every aspect, at every level (bearing mind he is also a director) of the footballing side of  the business, and has - in my opinion - failed. Where are the players being sold for big transfer fees? Where are the academy players coming through? Where is the consistent style of play (although it was meant to be better than the shite we have to watch) at every level?

CL has proven to be a charlatan. If some Hearts supporters want to accept this level of mediocrity then that is up to them. Personally I won’t.

Strong possibility of 4th or even Europe plus maybe two semi finals and even a final with a good draw is not mediocrity though. It’s better than average, especially after such an injury hit season.

4 hours ago, luckydug said:

What have you got against Austin ?

What would be your idea of the way forward ?

Change

Bridge of Djoum
30 minutes ago, jambali said:

Change

In other words. ''no idea''.

4 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

I'd be happy with Mourinho or Ranieri. 

9 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

I'd be happy with Mourinho or Ranieri. 

Maybe we should try and line up Ole Gunner Solskjaer now before Man U give him the job.

:interehjrling:

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Maybe we should try and line up Ole Gunner Solskjaer now before Man U give him the job.

:interehjrling:

Genius. 

Make it happen Wee Annie.

3 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Change from 1980's football to 21st century.

7 minutes ago, jambali said:

Change from 1980's football to 21st century.

In other words you still have no idea.

Just want to point out that this thread is 8 days old now and Levein is still manager. Therefore his time is most definitely not up.

Close it as its a bomb scare.

8 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

From what I remember of what was outlined as part of the 5 year plan, these were the targets:

Promotion within 2 years (we did it in 1)

After promotion, top 6 then Europe within 2 years (we did it in 1)

By the end of the 5 years, challenging at the higher end of the league (we did it this year - and for a bit in 15/16 - and who knows how this season could have panned out without the injuries)

On top of achieving (in fact, achieving each target early) every target set, Budge and co threw in a brand new stand, revamped Academy and brand new pitch within that timespan.

If you think this is all easy and to be expected, consider this:

Rangers took two seasons to get promoted

Hibs took 3 seasons to get promoted

While upgrading infrastructure off the park we have generally remained competitive on it. Hibs, while updating their stand and training centre, experienced 10 years of decline culminating in relegation. We'll see how Aberdeen do while building their new stand.

In terms of Levein's job as manager, he had to do the following in order:

Shore up our defence - done last season

Make us hard to beat at home again - done last season

Improve our away form - done this season

Improve our derby and cup form - done last and this season

Once the defence was sorted, start signing better strikers and attacking midfielders - done this season, still work to be done as far as wingers goes

Get us into Europe and challenging - done this season. The injuries screwed us. Still in the cup and in the mix for Europe though.

The people in charge of the club have done an amazing job over 5 years all things considered. And read the bits in bold again if you think we just did what was to be expected.

Edited by Guest

28 minutes ago, frankblack said:

In other words you still have no idea.

No idea about what?

If CL goes I do not want him to be Dof nor to be succeeded by the present staff. Clear now?

32 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

From what I remember of what was outlined as part of the 5 year plan, these were the targets:

By the end of the 5 years, challenging at the higher end of the league (we did it this year - and for a bit in 15/16 - and who knows how this season could have panned out without the injuries)

On top of achieving (in fact, achieving each target early) every target set, Budge and co threw in a brand new stand, revamped Academy and brand new pitch within that timespan.

While upgrading infrastructure off the park we have generally remained competitive on it. Hibs, while updating their stand and training centre, experienced 10 years of decline culminating in relegation. We'll see how Aberdeen do while building their new stand.

Once the defence was sorted, start signing better strikers and attacking midfielders - done this season, still work to be done as far as wingers goes

Get us into Europe and challenging - done this season. The injuries screwed us. Still in the cup and in the mix for Europe though.

The people in charge of the club have done an amazing job over 5 years all things considered. And read the bits in bold again if you think we just did what was to be expected.

It’s just a shame that a number on here don’t see it that way. Quite a recovery in five years. Good post. 

Enzo Chiefo
22 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Serious question?  Do you believe everything that you just typed. There's trying to be look at the positives , of which there are several, and then there is downright delusion.  

The 5 year plan has passed on some counts but failed on others. Your list of Levein's job description is simply made up nonsense. He was set a target of 4th last season and failed. He will likely do so again this season. He has made us harder to beat and oversaw a long awaited derby victory at ER which is great. But our home record this season is much worse than last year, so how that get's a "tick", perhaps only you know. Our away record has been mixed this season but has probably garnered more points, I'm not sure. Shore up our defence? Done? Really, we got a 5 -0 spanking at Livvy in case you'd forgotten. 

Both Hibs and Rangers did indeed take longer to gain promotion but finished about 15 -20 points ahead of us in their first season back. Was that in the plan too? I don't mind reasonable debate as there have been positives and negatives but your post stretches credulity to the limit.

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Serious question?  Do you believe everything that you just typed. There's trying to be look at the positives , of which there are several, and then there is downright delusion.  

The 5 year plan has passed on some counts but failed on others. Your list of Levein's job description is simply made up nonsense. He was set a target of 4th last season and failed. He will likely do so again this season. He has made us harder to beat and oversaw a long awaited derby victory at ER which is great. But our home record this season is much worse than last year, so how that get's a "tick", perhaps only you know. Our away record has been mixed this season but has probably garnered more points, I'm not sure. Shore up our defence? Done? Really, we got a 5 -0 spanking at Livvy in case you'd forgotten. 

Both Hibs and Rangers did indeed take longer to gain promotion but finished about 15 -20 points ahead of us in their first season back. Was that in the plan too? I don't mind reasonable debate as there have been positives and negatives but your post stretches credulity to the limit.

Is our home record really worse this season than last season?

Cruyff Turn
8 hours ago, Finlay James said:

Ok, no problem:

This is spades. 

Enzo Chiefo
10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Is our home record really worse this season than last season?

I'm thinking in terms of Tynecastle Dave. Did we not lose only to Celtic last season? We"ve lost to Dundee, Celtic, Killie and Rangers already this term and had several draws too. I'm sure someone will be tallying the points up as we speak 

davemclaren
18 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I'm thinking in terms of Tynecastle Dave. Did we not lose only to Celtic last season? We"ve lost to Dundee, Celtic, Killie and Rangers already this term and had several draws too. I'm sure someone will be tallying the points up as we speak 

We’ve played more home games at Tynecastle this season though so you can’t just compare losses like that imo. A fairer comparison would be some sort of weighted analysis of home points won and lost I reckon. 

1 hour ago, VladMagic said:

Just want to point out that this thread is 8 days old now and Levein is still manager. Therefore his time is most definitely not up.

Close it as its a bomb scare.

I think they may have used a similarly shite egg-timer to the one that was counting down Neilson’s exit from MKDons for over four months. ?

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren pinned and unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren locked this topic