Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

I think that pretty much covers the reality. No one in this league is going to be actually competing with the OF, they're in a league of their own and while Aberdeen have ground out a couple of results against Rangers in particular what has that got them?

It's got them lying 8 points behind Rangers with a GD of 16 to 51. And do we really want to play like Aberdeen? Has anyone here ever watched them play the OF? They in no way shape or form 'have a go'

They park the bus and try to nick scraps on the break and appear to be good at that but I doubt Hearts fans would appreciate that style of play even if it were nicking the odd narrow win.

I feel CL actually did 'have a go' and tried to press them early doors but they're on a roll right now and are simply a better team so it backfired on him.

Naismith was integral to any success this season. When he was playing we were reaping an average of slightly over 2 points per game and without him averaging less than 1 point per game.

Unlike Rangers who lost Morelos then just casually threw in quality like Jermaine Defoe not Hearts nor anyone else outside the OF can do that. The loss of such a key player is fatal to everyone but that pair.

I just don't see anything being any different with any other manager so replacing CL would get us nowhere quick and may even be a step back.

I’m afraid this post illustrates the depths to which the accepters of mediocrity will sink in their attempts to justify what we are currently seeing at Tynecastle.

Of course no Hearts fan wants us to “play like Aberdeen”. But neither does any real Hearts fan - which obviously excludes the trolls on here - want us to play the way Hearts play at the moment. In fact, any Hearts fan criticising any other team’s style of play this season needs to have a long, hard look at himself.

Here’s a reality. Aberdeen have beaten Rangers in Glasgow three times this season. Who gives a **** how they achieved it? Any true Hearts fan would bite your hand off for one win over Rangers in Glasgow. Just ask Craig Levein. That’s Craig Levein, incidentally, whose team has bent over and taken it up the arse four times this season from the rookie Gerrard’s team. Three games over almost before they began. Four capitulations. The first of them before our injuries kicked in.

This place... 

Edited by leginten

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

Alex Kintner
1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

With respect  you just don't understand the point.  I want Hearts to be superb.  If history was to show that a dire performance against Hibs was to be the catalyst for this, I'd be celebrating day and night along with tens of thousands of other genuine Hearts supporters, yourself included I suspect.

With respect, you don’t have a time machine. Therefore you can’t hope for us to lose on Sunday on the offchance it is the catalyst to years of success.

57 minutes ago, Taffin said:

What if losing to Hibs meant we won the cup?

I'd take that deal.

Thankfully football doesn’t work that way and I can’t see how losing the derby makes us more likely to win the final. 

However if I had a choice of winning one more game this season I’d choose the final. Think pretty much everybody would. 

Alex Kintner
54 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Good point that.  Behind the wall of silence I'm sure she is extremely worried that Levein's squad under his stewardship is going to be turning supporters away in droves.

If dreadful performances and results were to be enough to see him off he'd be long gone already.

I don’t doubt for a second that Ann will be aware of the feelings amongst the support at present.  

Finlay James
1 hour ago, troy said:

Budge has to go to get rid of levering 

Ok, so Budge goes.  Then what?

The Real Maroonblood
31 minutes ago, leginten said:

I’m afraid this post illustrates the depths to which the accepters of mediocrity will sink in their attempts to justify what we are currently seeing at Tynecastle.

Of course no Hearts fan wants us to “play like Aberdeen”. But neither does any real Hearts fan - which obviously excludes the trolls on here - want us to play the way Hearts play at the moment. In fact, any Hearts fan criticising any other team’s style of play this season needs to have a long, hard look at himself.

Here’s a reality. Aberdeen have beaten Rangers in Glasgow three times this season. Who gives a **** how they achieved it? Any true Hearts fan would bite your hand off for one win over Rangers in Glasgow. Just ask Craig Levein. That’s Craig Levein, incidentally, whose team has bent over and taken it up the arse four times this season from the rookie Gerrard’s team. Three games over almost before they began. Four capitulations. The first of them before our injuries kicked in.

This place... 

Good post.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, troy said:

Budge has to go to get rid of levering 

81bRwyKNiTL._SX425_.jpg

kennyjambo1974

I had a great idea why don't we try and coach players to pass the ball to each other and run in to space and maybe even some shooting practise .I even thought about crossing balls and beating an opposing player and then tackling basics .To  much hoof ball easy option .The players have no pace for the big games We could maybe practise sprinting .Can you forward this to the coaching staff..it may be that we have no fight or guts as well as but give it a bash and seeThen we might win the cup.Me thinks to cosy and cuddle for players tho .acceptance of weakness no good for a hearts team if all the above doesn't work move the dross on as the hearts fans deserve better and we want our team to fight for jersey 

40 minutes ago, leginten said:

This place... 

No one is accepting it, I'm certainly not accepting it. There has to be improvement for next season but I simply don't see how changing the manager will help that in any way at this stage.

CL knows infinitely more about football than any of us ever will and knows the current problems which will be worked on. All I'm accepting is that this league season is a wash and looking for improvement next.

As for the cup final the only way to come out of that with a result is unfortunately the Aberdeen model. Play with this 'have a go' waffle and it will be an annihilation. I would accept the Aberdeen model for this one off.

BOBTHEBRUCE
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

I'd take that deal.

The only thing we've got going for us is that it's Lennon's Celtic and not Rodgers

Even then, I don't think we have the confidence or the fire power to beat Celtic in the final. 

Better chance against hibs but it wouldn't surprise me if we lost both. 

Just now, JFK-1 said:

No one is accepting it, I'm certainly not accepting it. There has to be improvement for next season but I simply don't see how changing the manager will help that in any way at this stage.

CL knows infinitely more about football than any of us ever will and knows the current problems which will be worked on. All I'm accepting is that this league season is a wash and looking for improvement next.

As for the cup final the only way to come out of that with a result is unfortunately the Aberdeen model. Play with this 'have a go' waffle and it will be an annihilation. I would accept the Aberdeen model for this one off.

Why compromise your flair principles? You stick to your guns. Don’t accept any Cup final win over Celtic unless it’s done the right way. Ask for it to be struck from the record if it’s grim.

By the way, how many years in a row is it now that we’ve been desperate for the season to finish so that the magic wand can be waved and all will be well next season? 

9 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

So you reckon the manager will get it right next season? Is that what you’re saying?

12 minutes ago, leginten said:

Why compromise your flair principles? You stick to your guns. Don’t accept any Cup final win over Celtic unless it’s done the right way. Ask for it to be struck from the record if it’s grim.

By the way, how many years in a row is it now that we’ve been desperate for the season to finish so that the magic wand can be waved and all will be well next season? 

Why? Because this is a one off and an important one at that. I would rather end the season with some silverware and a chance at Euro competition and extra revenue any way that can be achieved than end it with nothing playing with 'flair'

8 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

So you reckon the manager will get it right next season? Is that what you’re saying?

I don't know if he will. What i'm saying is that he knows the issues better than any new hire would and will be working to resolve them. Given the lack of money in Scottish football I just don't see any change of manager solving anything at this stage.

If there is no change in fortune next year I would probably then fall into the OK let's try a change camp. But right now no. 

Forever Hearts
1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

Why? Because this is a one off and an important one at that. I would rather end the season with some silverware and a chance at Euro competition and extra revenue any way that can be achieved than end it with nothing playing with 'flair'

I don't know if he will. What i'm saying is that he knows the issues better than any new hire would and will be working to resolve them. Given the lack of money in Scottish football I just don't see any change of manager solving anything at this stage.

If there is no change in fortune next year I would probably then fall into the OK let's try a change camp. But right now no. 

How many transfer windows do you want to give him considering the utter dross he has signed up until now? 

4 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

He has had 5 years to know what's needed, what make you think in year 6 he will get it right?

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

I'd take that deal.

In what set of circumstances could Hearts losing to Hibs result in us winning the cup???? ?

50 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

I don’t doubt for a second that Ann will be aware of the feelings amongst the support at present.  

What action should she take Frank?

6 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

In what set of circumstances could Hearts losing to Hibs result in us winning the cup???? ?

No idea, it was a hypothetical question in response to Frank saying that regardless of any conditions placed on it no Hearts fan should want Hibs to beat us.

I was just seeing if that was a condition he'd take it in. Which he did. Just a bit of discussion really out of curiosity.

4 minutes ago, Gambo said:

He has had 5 years to know what's needed, what make you think in year 6 he will get it right?

Have Rangers underperformed? Their fans would say they have and that's even with the Euro run they had. And they have similarities with us. An admin event and time in the Championship.

Levein has presided over a period of upheaval  and again I didn't say he would get it right.

I said that I think he should get the chance given the upheaval hiring a whole new management team would bring. A management team who would likely then want major changes to playing staff there is little money to finance and would be less familiar with the issues than he is. 

And this period of his tenure began in 2017 not 5 years ago. What happened the last time this was tried? A tenure of less than a year is what happened.

Hearts performed poorly in the second half of the 2016–17 season, winning 5 of 22 league games after Cathro was appointed.

What makes you think trying it again would turn out any differently? 

The answer is you don't know and neither do I so in the meantime I feel the best course of action is to wait one more season. 

31 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Have Rangers underperformed? Their fans would say they have and that's even with the Euro run they had. And they have similarities with us. An admin event and time in the Championship.

Levein has presided over a period of upheaval  and again I didn't say he would get it right.

I said that I think he should get the chance given the upheaval hiring a whole new management team would bring. A management team who would likely then want major changes to playing staff there is little money to finance and would be less familiar with the issues than he is. 

And this period of his tenure began in 2017 not 5 years ago. What happened the last time this was tried? A tenure of less than a year is what happened.

What makes you think trying it again would turn out any differently? 

The answer is you don't know and neither do I so in the meantime I feel the best course of action is to wait one more season. 

He was at the club for these 5 years, not brought in from the outside 2 year ago.

Inch Hearts
1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Hold the fort, you think we play better football than Aberdeen and lose because we give it a go?

:lol:  that’s amazing. 

57 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

He told us he knew what we needed the last season also and this one and he’s brought in some absolute shite!!!

constantly tinkers with his team purely because he doesn’t know his best 11.

we must have used more players than any other team in Scotland this season and I don’t think we’d be far off top spot in the whole of Britain tbh.

his time is up for me, always loved levein as a player but he’s got to do the right thing now.

he can’t take us any further forward.

7 hours ago, Artful Dodger said:

Nobody wised up to the fact that the only teams to really have done a number on us consistently are Rangers and Celtic.

That's the 2 teams in the league that are better than us, they're bigger, they have better players, more money etc etc etc.

Apart from the Livi aboration away we could have gained many more points, fine margins in most games, home and away. 

The season fell apart when it became rather obvious to everyone that the depth in our squad isn't quite what everybody on here imagined. Of course we're short of quality, that's the way it is. Howling at the moon every time we get shown up for being an average team in a very average league is pathetic.

I'll just keep enjoying watching Hearts and salivating at the countdown of a cup final while the Screwballs lose the plot after every game thankyou very much.

With Mr Levein in charge.????

You’ll keep enjoying watching?? The football we have played this year has been brutal. I was embarrassed watching us against rangers - we gifted them their first 2 goals. If that entertains you then no wonder you're happy.

Depth in squad? You referring to our one win in eleven games due to Naysmith, Berra, Souter and Uche being injured? 

So we were back at full strength before being beaten at home by Dundee and then some woeful displays were we drew with St Mirren and other sh1t3 teams. What was the reason for the brutal football we had to watch and poor results at home Mr deluded? 

Edited by TDF01

pettigrewsstylist
7 hours ago, bajthejambo said:

The recent Aberdeen win is only time I've left Tynecastle satisfied since the last time we defeated Aberdeen.

True dat, for many!!

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, BOBTHEBRUCE said:

The only thing we've got going for us is that it's Lennon's Celtic and not Rodgers

Even then, I don't think we have the confidence or the fire power to beat Celtic in the final. 

Better chance against hibs but it wouldn't surprise me if we lost both. 

We wont  try  to win, and end up being punished for that approach in both, IMO ?

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

3 hours ago, leginten said:

He just needs his own players and a transfer window of continuity with just another 20 signings and a pre season.  The 'rebuilt' academy will provide a conveyor belt of young players who all know the Principles of Play.  Then of course we'll get the cream of US players from our international link up with one school.  No doubt the cheating refs who favour all the other teams will stop their devilish behaviour next season.

There's no doubt that Levein should continue in post because if he shouldn't then he'd tell Ann Budge to fire him immediately!

6 minutes ago, Coco said:

He just needs his own players and a transfer window of continuity with just another 20 signings and a pre season.  The 'rebuilt' academy will provide a conveyor belt of young players who all know the Principles of Play.  Then of course we'll get the cream of US players from our international link up with one school.  No doubt the cheating refs who favour all the other teams will stop their devilish behaviour next season.

There's no doubt that Levein should continue in post because if he shouldn't then he'd tell Ann Budge to fire him immediately!

:lol:

A Hearts manager with the comparative  resource available should not take 5 transfer windows to build a side that can finish inside the top 4.  Levein is essentially saying again, despite signing 17 players this summer, that he still hasn't address a fundamental part of building a team - creativity. 

Football at our level and within our budget will always need to rebuild teams - continuity is luxury only afforded to teams with bigger and better resources. If Levein needs this many windows to build a functioning side then you've got to question his ability to deliver. I suspect we will only ever be a few players away from a decent side with him.  There's a distinct possibility that Souttar, Djoum and Naismith aren't here next year. 3 of our better players through the spine of the side and you could argue necessitating somewhat of a rebuild. That's the nature of our level and I've got zero confidence he can manage it.

2 hours ago, bistokid said:

A Hearts manager with the comparative  resource available should not take 5 transfer windows to build a side that can finish inside the top 4.  Levein is essentially saying again, despite signing 17 players this summer, that he still hasn't address a fundamental part of building a team - creativity. 

Football at our level and within our budget will always need to rebuild teams - continuity is luxury only afforded to teams with bigger and better resources. If Levein needs this many windows to build a functioning side then you've got to question his ability to deliver. I suspect we will only ever be a few players away from a decent side with him.  There's a distinct possibility that Souttar, Djoum and Naismith aren't here next year. 3 of our better players through the spine of the side and you could argue necessitating somewhat of a rebuild. That's the nature of our level and I've got zero confidence he can manage it.

?

3 hours ago, sadj said:

?

For clarity, I am not ITK. Souttar contract is more to protect us - for the sake of his career it's probably time he moved South and nobody would be surprised if he did go, for a good sum. Naismith contract talks have taken an age but maybe overstating the likelihood he isn't here.  I was trying to illustrate that a team like us will lose our best player most years by design, either selling or contractually unable to meet demands.

Voiceofreasonfortheseason

Just braved Sportscene as was in a bad place after Saturday, what a bizarre set of interviews with Levein and Christophe.  Poor Christophe looks haunted, never seen him that way bit fair play to standing up and speaking.  I have a real worry that all is not well in there right now, could see the pressure on both their faces.   I hope I am just over looking into everything Hearts just now, goes back to what I said last week, we need to see something change in the league before this final or we have no chance, Sunday is a good place to start.

9 hours ago, bistokid said:

Djoum one of our better players ?‍♂️

That about sums up state of our club.

For once though I agreed with Stewart on Sportscene, numerous times we failed to make the short pass to build up play and instead played long, Djoum is a player that would be so much better building up the play and have options around him.  I know we can debate Djoum all day on here but football wise we are weaker when he is not there, I will miss him if he goes, feel sorry for him the system we play at times.

Edited by Voiceofreasonfortheseason

tolcross lad
9 hours ago, bistokid said:

This is a very relevant post.Teams in the modern age are constantly changing.So a manager needs to be constantly looking at players to bring into his style of play..Levein gave an interview around 3 years ago( i dont have a link) where he described his ideas on the structure of a Hearts team.He said that there would be a few "special"players,a group of solid experienced pros and a group of players who had come through the academy.He went onto say that a key to progress would be the success of low cost academy producedplayers.Levein went onto say in terms of his budget  this opened up  all kinds of "possibilities".I took this to mean more money could be spent on quality players.I am afraid Levein has lost his way.

Austin MacGlee
1 hour ago, Voiceofreasonfortheseason said:

For once though I agreed with Stewart on Sportscene, numerous times we failed to make the short pass to build up play and instead played long, Djoum is a player that would be so much better building up the play and have options around him.  I know we can debate Djoum all day on here but football wise we are weaker when he is not there, I will miss him if he goes, feel sorry for him the system we play at times.

Can't help but feel that Djoum would be a far better player if he was played in a system that considered and utilised his abilities and talents. He was cut out of the game on Sat due to the hoofball from the back.

I agreed with Stewart, too, it's unpopular to do so on here but I wasn't able to disagree with anything he said. We are just so obvious.

I think there is something wrong behind the scenes. If we surrender with no fight on Sunday then I imagine even AB will be forced to act.

Austin MacGlee
2 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

I think there is something wrong behind the scenes. If we surrender with no fight on Sunday then I imagine even AB will be forced to act.

No chance with a cup final on the horizon...which is probably the right thing to do. League campaign is over. What would be the point in getting rid before the end of the season now? I hope we change things in the summer. Haven't renewed my season ticket yet. Will continue with FOH donations but I think I'll just do walk ups next season.

Inch Hearts
27 minutes ago, Austin MacGlee said:

Can't help but feel that Djoum would be a far better player if he was played in a system that considered and utilised his abilities and talents. He was cut out of the game on Sat due to the hoofball from the back.

I agreed with Stewart, too, it's unpopular to do so on here but I wasn't able to disagree with anything he said. We are just so obvious.

Im not sure why we play Djoum if he’s not been used effectively.  Is it because he’s tall and athletic? 

Inch Hearts
18 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

A Craig Levein team has never went there and surrendered without fight.  Played shite yes but never been horsed. 

2 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

A Craig Levein team has never went there and surrendered without fight.  Played shite yes but never been horsed. 

Yip and everyone forgets we were the better team in the last Derby.

Austin MacGlee
8 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Im not sure why we play Djoum if he’s not been used effectively.  Is it because he’s tall and athletic? 

Feel the same mate. He's a footballer, use him properly and we will be far more creative.

1 minute ago, Austin MacGlee said:

Feel the same mate. He's a footballer, use him properly and we will be far more creative.

He’s got the best eye for a pass out of the midfield we have. He can hold the ball up well for a midfielder too with his back to play. 

Why we don’t play him just off the front is bemusing?

He seemed to play just in front of the defence in the semi too. Baffling stuff against a 1st division team. Is no one else trusted to work the ball from defence to attack?

Inch Hearts
25 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

He’s got the best eye for a pass out of the midfield we have. He can hold the ball up well for a midfielder too with his back to play. 

Why we don’t play him just off the front is bemusing?

He seemed to play just in front of the defence in the semi too. Baffling stuff against a 1st division team. Is no one else trusted to work the ball from defence to attack?

The short answer must be no.  

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, tolcross lad said:

This is a very relevant post.Teams in the modern age are constantly changing.So a manager needs to be constantly looking at players to bring into his style of play..Levein gave an interview around 3 years ago( i dont have a link) where he described his ideas on the structure of a Hearts team.He said that there would be a few "special"players,a group of solid experienced pros and a group of players who had come through the academy.He went onto say that a key to progress would be the success of low cost academy producedplayers.Levein went onto say in terms of his budget  this opened up  all kinds of "possibilities".I took this to mean more money could be spent on quality players.I am afraid Levein has lost his way.

So...the same as every other club?

We hang on this whole idea that Levein is trying to create something unique, but he's not. The bit about 'low cost academy produced players' i assume is referring to this policy of looking at kids from Ghanaian public parks and the Evostik leagues etc?

As DoF, Levein is tasked with creating a philosophy throughout the club as this provides continuity and makes sure he has like-minded people in the right places: hence why Robbie and Cathro were appointed, and why the next manager (if Levein chooses him) will be cut from the same cloth.

Can't wait.

Austin MacGlee
49 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Correct

:jjyay:

Austin MacGlee
5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

So...the same as every other club?

We hang on this whole idea that Levein is trying to create something unique, but he's not. The bit about 'low cost academy produced players' i assume is referring to this policy of looking at kids from Ghanaian public parks and the Evostik leagues etc?

As DoF, Levein is tasked with creating a philosophy throughout the club as this provides continuity and makes sure he has like-minded people in the right places: hence why Robbie and Cathro were appointed, and why the next manager (if Levein chooses him) will be cut from the same cloth.

Can't wait.

I totally agree. It's a bare minimum survival technique in Scottish football. Almost every club in the land is doing this and the ones that aren't (Falkirk/Livi etc) are slated by their fanbase for cutting costs in the wrong areas.

Even with regards to recruiting and developing young players that haven't come directly from our academy, we aren't doing that as well as other clubs around us (Hibs with McGinn/Cummings/Mallan, Aberdeen with Cosgrove/Mackay-Steven, Killie with Brophy)...we have Wighton (fml) although, we have done well with Souttar and hopefully Halkett will develop similarly. Defence isn't our problem in the main though so why can't we do what we've done with Soapy but in the midfield/forward areas? It's like all Levein knows is defence and the rest is just a lucky dip when recruiting further forward.

It should have been ten
22 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

How exactly was Robbie hounded out. He took a job opportunity that he believed was bigger than Hearts and took it. He was hardly hounded out.

What I will say about his style of football is that his first season in charge and first season in SPLwe played a decent brand of football for the most part but it was plain to see that there were games where instead of pressing on we went into defensive mode. The Hibs cup game being the prime example of where we went into a defensive shell and it cost us. Very CL type football. I guess it’s why he got the nickname Phoodle as it appeared he was CL’s little lapdog. 

Ok he wasn’t hounded out :lol:

It was made clear by the usual diddies among our support that that they wanted him out. 2 years into a five year plan, don’t blame him for jumping at the first opportunity.

Edited by It should have been ten

Pasquale for King
19 hours ago, Coco said:

Love it ? 

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, Austin MacGlee said:

Good response to a good post, he also gets moved around more than any other player.

Alex Kintner
22 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

What action should she take Frank?

Whatever action she feels is best for the club. She has access to much more information than any of us and much more invested (figuratively and literally) than any of us so I’m confident she will do what she thinks is best.

22 hours ago, Inch Hearts said:

Hold the fort, you think we play better football than Aberdeen and lose because we give it a go?

:lol:  that’s amazing. 

Aberdeen have been an exceptionally ugly football team this season when I've watched them. They are far more reliant on a "big lad up front" than we are, and they are a much dirtier team. Difference is their big lad up front has been fit all season, as have his partners. They have no-one with the technique of Naismith up front/in the middle or Souttar at centre back. They don't even have anyone with the technique of Djoum, although I don't feel we're getting the best from him. 

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren pinned and unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren locked this topic