Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

Inch Hearts
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Aberdeen have been an exceptionally ugly football team this season when I've watched them. They are far more reliant on a "big lad up front" than we are, and they are a much dirtier team. Difference is their big lad up front has been fit all season, as have his partners. They have no-one with the technique of Naismith up front/in the middle or Souttar at centre back. They don't even have anyone with the technique of Djoum, although I don't feel we're getting the best from him. 

The big lad up front and trying to win fouls is all we’re reliant on!  Dirtier I’ll give you.  They play more or less the exact same as us the only difference their forward has been more prolific and play like a team (even if cloggers). 

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

No matter what players we sign and often they come with decent enough CV's , they seem to end up looking pretty crap. The hallmark of a good coach is to take bad players and make them better.

Historically on JKB I've been one of CLs biggest supporters, but two successive 6th place finishes, masked by a very fortuitous cup draw, which we've still managed to look utterly unconvincing in, is simply not good enough. Any other Hearts manager in that circumstance would be under serious threat of losing their job.

People tolerate poor football when the team is winning, when the team is losing however it becomes more irksome. The team is dreadful to watch, there has been no obvious style of play going forward for the past two seasons. We are pretty much reliant on set pieces or flashes of individual brilliance to score goals, be it Isma, Milinkovic, Lafferty, Naismith or Ikpeazu. Our forward movement is non existent.

I think we need a fresh approach to change the atmosphere at the club if nothing else, it just feels like an absolute chore at the moment and a change of head coach may serve to change the atmosphere.

1 hour ago, To Be Frank said:

Whatever action she feels is best for the club. She has access to much more information than any of us and much more invested (figuratively and literally) than any of us so I’m confident she will do what she thinks is best.

The only “information” regarding the performance of her manager and team is on the pitch for all to see Frank.

I have met her on numerous occasions and she is a very impressive lady, however by her own admission she knows nothing about football.

My concern is that Levein has her in his pocket and she will not take the hard decision.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Aberdeen have been an exceptionally ugly football team this season when I've watched them. They are far more reliant on a "big lad up front" than we are, and they are a much dirtier team. Difference is their big lad up front has been fit all season, as have his partners. They have no-one with the technique of Naismith up front/in the middle or Souttar at centre back. They don't even have anyone with the technique of Djoum, although I don't feel we're getting the best from him. 

Agree with this apart from all his partners being fit, GMS and McGinn have missed large parts of the season due to injury which affected them as much as our injuries did to us.

1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

The only “information” regarding the performance of her manager and team is on the pitch for all to see Frank.

I have met her on numerous occasions and she is a very impressive lady, however by her own admission she knows nothing about football.

My concern is that Levein has her in his pocket and she will not take the hard decision.

So what?

Alex Kintner

She probably knows a lot more than you or I. She’s a fan like us but the difference is she’s spent five years running a football club. She might well have known not much at the start but she’ll have learned a hell of a lot in the last five years. 

I doubt for one second that an intelligent and successful businesswoman would be in anyone’s “pocket”

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
11 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

She probably knows a lot more than you or I. She’s a fan like us but the difference is she’s spent five years running a football club. She might well have known not much at the start but she’ll have learned a hell of a lot in the last five years. 

I doubt for one second that an intelligent and successful businesswoman would be in anyone’s “pocket”

This. I think we all know deep down there’s two games left here for the coaching staff and the outcome of those determines whether they stay or go. Budge will make the right sensible decision.

Bad Religion

Lies. 

Nookie Bear

I don’t buy this argument anymore. 

She has been Chief Exec for 5 years now so should know the business of football inside out. She also watched Hearts for years before taking over and, to her credit, watches us home and away every week and clearly immerses herself in football practically 24/7. 

If if she doesn’t know enough about football by now to make decisions without Levein influencing her then she is failing. 

tokyowalnut

This nonsense that AB knows nothing about football has to stop. That was a quote from  when she first took over, she'll know more than anyone of us on how to run a football club. She wont make sentimental decisions, you dont become that successful in life if you do. 

This season will run it's course now and regardless of the cup final, there will be a change next season. 

Edited by tokyowalnut

Until she grows a backbone and gets rid of her footballing director who is in charge and responsible for this mess we are in we will be subject to this shite for years to come. 

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, Martin_T said:

No matter what players we sign and often they come with decent enough CV's , they seem to end up looking pretty crap. The hallmark of a good coach is to take bad players and make them better.

Historically on JKB I've been one of CLs biggest supporters, but two successive 6th place finishes, masked by a very fortuitous cup draw, which we've still managed to look utterly unconvincing in, is simply not good enough. Any other Hearts manager in that circumstance would be under serious threat of losing their job.

People tolerate poor football when the team is winning, when the team is losing however it becomes more irksome. The team is dreadful to watch, there has been no obvious style of play going forward for the past two seasons. We are pretty much reliant on set pieces or flashes of individual brilliance to score goals, be it Isma, Milinkovic, Lafferty, Naismith or Ikpeazu. Our forward movement is non existent.

I think we need a fresh approach to change the atmosphere at the club if nothing else, it just feels like an absolute chore at the moment and a change of head coach may serve to change the atmosphere.

Said it all. Nothing further reqd.

16 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

She has been Chief Exec for 5 years now so should know the business of football inside out. She also watched Hearts for years before taking over and, to her credit, watches us home and away every week and clearly immerses herself in football practically 24/7. 

If if she doesn’t know enough about football by now to make decisions without Levein influencing her then she is failing. 

It would be pretty arrogant not to take on board the view of someone as experienced as Levein.

Alex Kintner
19 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

:spoton:

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It would be pretty arrogant not to take on board the view of someone as experienced as Levein.

Yes but she must also be capable of considering Leveins future based on what she has learnt over the last few years. 

The fear, of course, is that she is still too reliant on him and that gives him the chance to back to being DoF and appointing his own man in the summer. Or simply carrying on as Head Coach. 

On 22/04/2019 at 09:40, Nookie Bear said:

He wasn’t hounded. 

He walked out to gamble on doing well enough at MK Dons to be spotted by a bigger club and perhaps one day end up in the EPL. 

I suspect he regrets his hasty move now. 

Whether Neilson was hounded out or not, I'm pretty sure his players being booed coming on in winnable games and a plane being hired as part of a campaign against him while he was doing well in the league didn't exactly make him feel welcome. Aside from that he had every right to push his career on while his stock was high. He's already done a much better job at Utd than their last couple of more experienced managers. I suspect he'll continue doing well. Above average coach, good character.

9 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yes but she must also be capable of considering Leveins future based on what she has learnt over the last few years. 

The fear, of course, is that she is still too reliant on him and that gives him the chance to back to being DoF and appointing his own man in the summer. Or simply carrying on as Head Coach. 

She probably is considering his position, although I imagine will wait until after the cup! I don't see how some think Budge is under Levein's control when she basically forced him to take on the manager job. The DoF role also seems to be massively misunderstood. They tend not to appoint managers, I assume the board with the owner as the final decision maker does that like at most clubs. They are there to provide some stability and help take some of the recruitment, youth academy and other things off the head coach's plate.

Edited by Guest

Alex Kintner
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

She probably is considering his position, although I imagine will wait until after the cup! I don't see how some think Budge is under Levein's control when she basically forced him to take on the manager job.

That’s a fair point. He took a lot of persuading.

26 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

She has been taking on board the views of Levein - his views are not progressing the standard of football on the park.

Let us hope she will make the right decision.

17 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

That’s a fair point. He took a lot of persuading.

How do you know that Frank?

5 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

She has been taking on board the views of Levein - his views are not progressing the standard of football on the park.

Let us hope she will make the right decision.

Levein wanted Dougie Freedman. I'm sure most of us would have been happy with that.

Forever Hearts

Levein wanted Dougie Freedman. I'm sure most of us would have been happy with that.

Right now I'd be happy with Dougie Donnelly. 

i wish jj was my dad

But couldn't compete with Palace. I don't think he was ever forced into the job. 

FWIW, I don't think he will be here next season in any capacity. I'll be sorry to lose him but finishing 6th and below Hibs isn't acceptable. Cup win would be nice way to bow out.

siegementality
On 22/04/2019 at 14:11, It should have been ten said:

Maybe the ‘Robbie oot’ brigade should’ve been careful what they wished for then. No style and no bottle though eh ?

Just chose the wrong replacement. Twice!

heartandsoul
2 minutes ago, siegementality said:

A defeat at the weekend will be the end for Levein. 

This

Alex Kintner
8 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

How do you know that Frank?

Inside source told me at the time.

Austin MacGlee
1 hour ago, siegementality said:

You reckon? Even with a cup final only weeks away? I can't see it. I want him gone but what's the point at this stage in the season?

48 minutes ago, Austin MacGlee said:

You reckon? Even with a cup final only weeks away? I can't see it. I want him gone but what's the point at this stage in the season?

He won’t !

Finishing 6th and losing the Final will mean a decision to be made.

That decision can’t be made until after the 25th May, no matter how much frothing goes on in here.

Austin MacGlee
Just now, Boab said:

He won’t !

Finishing 6th and losing the Final will mean a decision to be made.

That decision can’t be made until after the 25th May, no matter how much frothing goes on in here.

Totally agree mate. I think it's only right he gets to take us into the final. He has earned it and been a great servant to Hearts. I will be sad when he goes but it is time for change.

Finlay James

Here's a radical thought, why don't we all support the team, encourage them to win as many games as possible between now and the end of the season and hopefully see us lift the cup.

We need a change of manager, that is clear but it won't happen between now and May 25th so why don't those of us on here who actually support Hearts, get behind the team and stop whinging.

Austin MacGlee
3 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Here's a radical thought, why don't we all support the team, encourage them to win as many games as possible between now and the end of the season and hopefully see us lift the cup.

We need a change of manager, that is clear but it won't happen between now and May 25th so why don't those of us on here who actually support Hearts, get behind the team and stop whinging.

:berra: That'll never catch on...

1 minute ago, Finlay James said:

Do you not think as fans we turn up and support the team?

This is a forum where people talk about things going on at the club and people aren't happy with what is going on so that will be discussed regularly. The folk you think are 'negative' or 'hobos' will be the same people that go to games hoping to see hearts win.

Finlay James
15 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Do you not think as fans we turn up and support the team?

This is a forum where people talk about things going on at the club and people aren't happy with what is going on so that will be discussed regularly. The folk you think are 'negative' or 'hobos' will be the same people that go to games hoping to see hearts win.

thats my point, no matter what is going on at the club, stop the moaning and back the club at least until after the cup final.

Folk will get their wish, there will be changes in the summer so it can be saved until then.

2 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

thats my point, no matter what is going on at the club, stop the moaning and back the club at least until after the cup final.

Folk will get their wish, there will be changes in the summer so it can be saved until then.

What do you mean by stop moaning and back the club?

Just pretend that everything is all good and Levein is doing a great job?

I don't do sticking my head in the sand, I support hearts and don't turn up at games to hurl abuse at the players, manager or anyone but I'll make my feelings be known on here or when I'm chatting with hearts fans or any other teams fans irl.

Finlay James
37 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

I don't do sticking my head in the sand, I support hearts and don't turn up at games to hurl abuse at the players, manager or anyone but I'll make my feelings be known on here or when I'm chatting with hearts fans or any other teams fans irl.

As I said, radical thinking.

Head - Brick Wall - Banging

OmiyaHearts
3 hours ago, siegementality said:

He kept his job after a five game run without a single goal and a 5-0 defeat to Livingston.

There's not a defeat heavy enough from Hibs that would mean the end for him.

OmiyaHearts
1 hour ago, Finlay James said:

I don't see why moaning on an internet forum has any impact during a match? The supporters who attend the games will give the team backing, as long as they show fight.

29 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

As I said, radical thinking.

Head - Brick Wall - Banging

Ok yeh, perfect sense as ever.

11 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

She probably is considering his position, although I imagine will wait until after the cup! I don't see how some think Budge is under Levein's control when she basically forced him to take on the manager job. The DoF role also seems to be massively misunderstood. They tend not to appoint managers, I assume the board with the owner as the final decision maker does that like at most clubs. They are there to provide some stability and help take some of the recruitment, youth academy and other things off the head coach's plate.

You do realise that Budge has made Levein a Director and he sits on the board himself.

Budge has also said that she knows little about football so relies on Craig Levein as a board member and Director of Football to make the decisions on all football relating matters.

I am not saying that Budge does not have the final say on the appointment of head coaches and managers but she will make that decision on the advice Levein gives her.

Edited by Lambo85

4 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Inside source told me at the time.

Oh right an inside source eh.

1 hour ago, Lambo85 said:

You do realise that Budge has made Levein a Director and he sits on the board himself.

Budge has also said that she knows little about football so relies on Craig Levein as a board member and Director of Football to make the decisions on all football relating matters.

I am not saying that Budge does not have the final say on the appointment of head coaches and managers but she will make that decision on the advice Levein gives her.

Spot on 

3 hours ago, RudiHMFC said:

Well said Rudi. ?

It should have been ten
6 hours ago, siegementality said:

Just chose the wrong replacement. Twice!

No really the point I was making but fair enough 

It should have been ten
2 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I don't see why moaning on an internet forum has any impact during a match? The supporters who attend the games will give the team backing, as long as they show fight.

Aye because Tynecastle has been a fortress for years right enough. Been quiet in the stands for years and years long before Anne and Craig came in. 

It should have been ten

It won’t, he will be in charge for the final

It will be the end for Levein for even more Hearts fans - but not for Budge I fear.

Its strange to me that people think we have progressed this year. If you want to call progress getting an easy run in cup draws then that's about all it covers. Still see the same turgid rubbish on the park week in week out and that's with 18 signings in the summer!

We need an urgent change of direction on the park.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
7 hours ago, siegementality said:

Nah, he'll get the cup final regardless.

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren pinned and unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren locked this topic