Ann Budge Statement today ( edited )

mitch41

2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

I've not read all the comments on this thread but enough to gauge the general mood, so I'll add my tuppence worth.

Up until now I've backed AB, but this statement has changed my stance.

The "genuine fans" comment is basically saying if you don't agree you're not a fan.

Well Mrs Budge, I've had an ST continuously for the last 50 years, I've missed 6 domestic fixtures (H&A) in the last 45 years, I don't agree with you, so am I not a "genuine fan" any more ?

You say it's been a "disappointing start".

Had we come off the back of a good season, a 5 game winless run would have been "disappointing" but not critical, but to go a year serving up the utter shite we've been subjected to is a hell of a lot more than that.

You say the board have continuously invested in the squad, that's true, but only because previous investments have failed on a regular basis.

You use the now tired old excuse of injuries.

Yes we've suffered more than most, but a team that should be challenging at the top of the league should have a squad capable of at least staying in touch, even without 3 or 4 of their first choice players.

You say the long term planning is "constantly being reviewed and revised."

Well hoping that a couple of players will come back from injury soon is not planning, it's crossing your fingers and hoping for the best.

Your statement was no doubt intended to calm the anger of the fans, all it has done is pour fuel on the flames.

This means you're either hopelessly out of touch or showing utter contempt for those that care deeply about this club, OUR CLUB.

Either way, something has to be done, and done soon, or you risk undoing all the hard work done by a lot of dedicated people over the last 5 years

As others have said, this is an excellent post.

The thing that annoyed me about the statement was the focus on the first five league games only - as if the results from last October didn’t matter. 

Craig Levein has also been DoF for more than five years. During that time, I’ve seen a scattergun transfer policy (with more misses than hits) and the haphazard development of youngsters. 

Some of you will know the motivational sales acronym ‘ABC’: Always Be Closing. At Tynecastle at the moment it’s ‘ABT’: Always Buying Time. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Spellczech

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

Adam_the_legend
1 hour ago, Haken said:

I think she is unintentionally alienating a sizable chunk of the support.  I do not think that one poorly worded statement, undoubtedly written under pressure, negates all the good work she has done.  She has transformed the club in the business sense; the frustration is that this has not happened in the footballing sense.  Or, to put it simply: Ann Budge has succeeded; Craig Levein hasn't.  Should we get rid of both in that scenario?

I think she knows exactly what she’s doing. It’s not like an interview that got out of hand, the statement would have went through several drafts. She said what she meant and she meant what she said. Successful businesswoman and all that. 

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

Might have a little more context than a complete breakdown rant on this thread. 

Appoligies. 👍

It’s all good. Understand now 

Folk writing and wishing death on anyone far less AB need serious help. Downright cowardly and uncalled for regardless of who it’s aimed at. Never any excuses for that type of shite 

MarkDevriesScores4

I have a season ticket, contribute to FOH, buy merch, buy cup tickets etc but Ann has indicated that I’m not a genuine fan. 

What a way to address concerns. 

I supported Ann until yesterday. Now I am looking forward to her being paid up and shown the door.

10 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

My point is that you don't sack someone as fundamental to your strategy as Levein due to a loss to Motherwell. That cannot be the straw that breaks the camel's back. We have more important games coming up. These are the key games.

What about the previous 30 games,do we forget about them? The league form is horrendous,any other manager

Would have been sacked long ago,fact.

Adam_the_legend
28 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

It buys them more time and they then have to show that the decline has been reversed...This week has to be the trough, the bottoming out of the decline. Losing to Hibs and Aberdeen will be too much. 

After that statement I don’t think he goes anywhere, even if we lose the next 2 games. Why alienate the support if you’re going to crumble a couple of losses later. 

1 hour ago, Des Lynam said:

:what:

It’s not Brexit ffs. We can’t win football matches. 

I wasn't referring to our results , I was referring to the 'agenda driven media speculation' ffs .

Hard to see how you could get that wrong 

Adam_the_legend
4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nah, He's comparing the reaction of said fans. 

Some Have no problem calling Hearts fans sweary words, but when Ann even points a finger, said posters get all offended. 

Irony, it's called. 

Nah, spin away but I’m comfortable with my interpretation. 

15 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

My point is that you don't sack someone as fundamental to your strategy as Levein due to a loss to Motherwell. That cannot be the straw that breaks the camel's back. We have more important games coming up. These are the key games.

Hibs away is no more key to us than Motherwell, Ross County or Hamilton at home. 

Obviously it is important on a supporter level but it is really just another 3 points to be won and, by winning it, it should not negate the large number of losses recently.

18 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

He wouldn’t be getting sacked due to a loss to Motherwell. He’d be getting the sack for overseeing the worst run off results in our history. 

16 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Last season would have been good timing wise but a 6th place with a lc sf and sc final is hardly 100% sacking material. 

The form of this season is, but if you go with it's just 5 games and players coming back then I understand her in that she thinks it will turn around. 

However, it's shakey ground at best. 

Vote of confidence is the kiss of death tho, generally it gives you 3/4 games to improve, usually over key games. 

The derby then the lc sf are key games. 

The derby to get our first win and stay within reach of the clubs above us and ofc get confidence. 

The lc  qf for progress. 

If we get beat in these, St mirren result won't matter and he'll be gone. 

Win those and say draw at St mirren, then we go from there. 

10 games.

2 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

I wasn't referring to our results , I was referring to the 'agenda driven media speculation' ffs .

Hard to see how you could get that wrong 

What is the agenda? 

Shooter McGavin

Just checked my emails and not too long before that statement was released I received an email advertising quarter final hospitality packages and the “museum experience”.

She only cares about money, the football isn’t important.

Edited by Shooter McGavin

"I would effectively like to make a 2 part statement.  The first, I address to all genuine Hearts Supporters; in the second I will address recent media coverage"

Why are many so insulted by the above line?  She's clearly stating who this statement is aimed at, not the SevCo bigots who infiltrate our club, or the 'fans' who never go to games or contribute to the FoH, I bet a huge amount of those 'greetin' don't contribute to the club in ANY way but are complete keyboard warriors.

5 weeks of the new season DO NOT define who we are as a club.  We have been here since 1874 and will be the strongest we have ever been through to 2074 and it's all because of the current regime.

20 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

“As fundamental to your strategy as Levein”

seriously, are you inferring that Levein is doing something within Ann’s strategy that no one else can or will do ? 

I mean, if it’s a strategy that we invest heavily in the academy the 1st team manager has to bring players through and play them there are dozens and dozens of managers out there who would accept this

why then is he so fundamental to Ann’s strategy. I genuinely don’t understand the just of your comment ?

27 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I cannot fathom this logic. It's beyond my comprehension. 

Austin MacGlee

I've been avoiding posting on here because I'm just completely worn out with all things Hearts at the moment.

This statement, though. The "genuine fans" comment was completely unnecessary and comes across petulant and juvenile. No wonder people are reacting negatively. There was no need for it. It reads like an angry substitute school teacher trying to gain control of a rowdy class.

Our form in 2019 and the end of 2018 is nothing short of a disgrace and fans are protesting because of a culmination of years of under-performing and embarrassing results under Craig's stewardship; not five games as she states.

I’m sick fed up of hearing about injuries. WHY are our squad so susceptible to bad injuries? That wasn’t addressed in the statement but injuries were used as an excuse for our poor form.

My biggest concern is that it’s not just a case of getting rid of a manager or a head coach as was highlighted by the statement’s continual references to “their” plan. He has his fingers in almost every footballing pie at the club, including the footballing strategy which the board appear to have bought into and are backing, so that means, short-term at least, he would need to go back upstairs if he is relieved of his first team managerial duties. Surely if we are to remove him entirely then it will take time for him to hand over all his other duties? And if so, who does the recruiting for all the roles he currently occupies and who forms a new footballing strategy? Is this why she is so reluctant to act? I was previously in favour of him moving back upstairs because of this very reason. At least until we had time to change things in a proper way with a proper handover from him.

I do think we as a club need a clean break from him, though. He’s done a lot of good and was a wonderful player for us. There’s no doubting his love for the club but he needs to go and go completely. His presence now is too divisive and, quite frankly, he is failing at his job. We’re bottom of the table.

It’s a sad state of affairs but Mrs Budge is risking a lot with her unwavering loyalty to Craig.

I’m dreading Sunday. I’m dreading the rest of the season. I just want to see a ray of light at the end of the tunnel. The statement raised more questions than it answered and she got the tone completely wrong.

5 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

"I would effectively like to make a 2 part statement.  The first, I address to all genuine Hearts Supporters; in the second I will address recent media coverage"

Why are many so insulted by the above line?  She's clearly stating who this statement is aimed at, not the SevCo bigots who infiltrate our club, or the 'fans' who never go to games or contribute to the FoH, I bet a huge amount of those 'greetin' don't contribute to the club in ANY way but are complete keyboard warriors.

5 weeks of the new season DO NOT define who we are as a club.  We have been here since 1874 and will be the strongest we have ever been through to 2074 and it's all because of the current regime.

An inflammatory line that further divides the support. Just look at the reaction to it on here and you can see what a disaster it’s been. 

Edited by Hot since 86

30 minutes ago, jambobob61 said:

How do you know he is not a member of FoH as many ex players are?

Just because he is paid to be confrontational does not mean he is also wrong!

Sorry, he's not paid to be confrontational. 

He's paid to be objective and fails miserably.

Just now, Spoleto said:

Sorry, he's not paid to be confrontational. 

He's paid to be objective and fails miserably.

Incorrect. Modern journalism is very much about being confrontational, it also doesn’t mean he’s always wrong,

18 minutes ago, ford donald said:

What about the previous 30 games,do we forget about them? The league form is horrendous,any other manager

Would have been sacked long ago,fact.

You mean the previous games where we went off like a rocket, only to be hampered by injuries to key players, finished top 6 and reached a LC Semi and a Scottish Cup Final?

Shooter McGavin
7 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

So if you don’t go to games or contribute to FoH you’re not a “genuine” fan? 

Deary me. 

And also, you are aware we haven’t won a league game since March? It’s not just 5 games, it’s 2 wins in our last 19.

2 out of 19. Two out of nineteen. 

What are people missing here.

GorgieFifeLife
7 minutes ago, Austin MacGlee said:

I've been avoiding posting on here because I'm just completely worn out with all things Hearts at the moment.

This statement, though. The "genuine fans" comment was completely unnecessary and comes across petulant and juvenile. No wonder people are reacting negatively. There was no need for it. It reads like an angry substitute school teacher trying to gain control of a rowdy class.

Our form in 2019 and the end of 2018 is nothing short of a disgrace and fans are protesting because of a culmination of years of under-performing and embarrassing results under Craig's stewardship; not five games as she states.

I’m sick fed up of hearing about injuries. WHY are our squad so susceptible to bad injuries? That wasn’t addressed in the statement but injuries were used as an excuse for our poor form.

My biggest concern is that it’s not just a case of getting rid of a manager or a head coach as was highlighted by the statement’s continual references to “their” plan. He has his fingers in almost every footballing pie at the club, including the footballing strategy which the board appear to have bought into and are backing, so that means, short-term at least, he would need to go back upstairs if he is relieved of his first team managerial duties. Surely if we are to remove him entirely then it will take time for him to hand over all his other duties? And if so, who does the recruiting for all the roles he currently occupies and who forms a new footballing strategy? Is this why she is so reluctant to act? I was previously in favour of him moving back upstairs because of this very reason. At least until we had time to change things in a proper way with a proper handover from him.

I do think we as a club need a clean break from him, though. He’s done a lot of good and was a wonderful player for us. There’s no doubting his love for the club but he needs to go and go completely. His presence now is too divisive and, quite frankly, he is failing at his job. We’re bottom of the table.

It’s a sad state of affairs but Mrs Budge is risking a lot with her unwavering loyalty to Craig.

I’m dreading Sunday. I’m dreading the rest of the season. I just want to see a ray of light at the end of the tunnel. The statement raised more questions than it answered and she got the tone completely wrong.

Great post which sums up the situation perfectly.

16 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

After that statement I don’t think he goes anywhere, even if we lose the next 2 games. Why alienate the support if you’re going to crumble a couple of losses later. 

If we lose the next 2 games and Ann keeps him it will not be with my support. All i'm saying is I can understand why she is not punting him after a league loss to Motherwell. I don't own the club any more than you, and my support or loss of support matters no more than anyone's elses. All I'm doing is try to interpret what is happening rather than shouting into the wind...

4 minutes ago, Hot since 86 said:

Incorrect. Modern journalism is very much about being confrontational, it also doesn’t mean he’s always wrong,

So his employers pay him to be aggressive and  hostile towards HMFC?

Are you being serious?

Adam_the_legend
1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

If we lose the next 2 games and Ann keeps him it will not be with my support. All i'm saying is I can understand why she is not punting him after a league loss to Motherwell. I don't own the club any more than you, and my support or loss of support matters no more than anyone's elses. All I'm doing is try to interpret what is happening rather than shouting into the wind...

She doesn’t care about your support or anyone else’s. That’s the fundamental issue people have with her statement. 

Just now, Spoleto said:

So his employers pay him to be aggressive and  hostile towards HMFC?

Are you being serious?

I don’t think that’s what I said at all. I said journalists are encouraged to be confrontational - they absolutely are, that’s what generates stories.

Stewart’s ties to this club and the current circus mean we are the focus of his attention more so now than ever. I’m sure his employers have no issue with that.

Do you think his employers have an issue with his comments? 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, farin said:

If we are it won’t be for much longer with the FoH handover not too far away. 

I was indicating what song we would sing AFTER we take over if we aren’t happy 😃

It will be Interesting times there’s no doubt about that.

Hearts and Levein will part company! It’s a matter of opinion when the right time is and a matter of judgement on those making the decision!

6 months ago, 6 weeks ago, 6 days ago ... review after next 2 games, 6 weeks time, 6 months time, 6 years time ..... it’s all about opinions! 

Voiceofreasonfortheseason
6 minutes ago, Austin MacGlee said:

What a really good post, not often I would say that to you Austin.  I think you mirror a lot of the thoughts on here and from the wider support in general.  Reading a few things on here makes me question "Genuine Supporter" comment that Budge has made. 

What is a genuine run of the mill Hearts fan and what do they stand for?  What do they stand for and what are they prepared to do in these troubled times?

I see some people saying the Genuine Supporter comment was aimed at Mikey Stewart.  I am sorry but having our owner rise to the bait from a so called pundit mirrors everything that's wrong with this club, unprofessional and reactionary.  Actually reading a lot of the statement if appears it's aimed at the Mikey Stewart and that is just crazy.  You almost wonder if Levein was standing next to Budge when she typed it out.

I think we are witnessing the end of Budge and Levein but it seems they will go as a package and it wont be anytime soon.

17 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

“As fundamental to your strategy as Levein”

seriously, are you inferring that Levein is doing something within Ann’s strategy that no one else can or will do ? 

I mean, if it’s a strategy that we invest heavily in the academy the 1st team manager has to bring players through and play them there are dozens and dozens of managers out there who would accept this

why then is he so fundamental to Ann’s strategy. I genuinely don’t understand the just of your comment ?

There are messages above, in this thread, which answer these questions, or at least give my interpretation of what is happening...This is a common JKB thing - people dive into the middle of a discussion and fire off a response to a single post. The context of a discussion is important. Same with Budge's statement - it is clear from the comments on here that many people got so incensed by the phrase "genuine fans" that they comment on that alone without looking at the context of it within her statement...

Edited by Spellczech

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Hearts and Levein will part company! It’s a matter of opinion when the right time is and a matter of judgement on those making the decision!

6 months ago, 6 weeks ago, 6 days ago ... review after next 2 games, 6 weeks time, 6 months time, 6 years time ..... it’s all about opinions! 

Indeed and the only opinion that matters is Budge's not any of ours!

Central Belt 1874
2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

I've not read all the comments on this thread but enough to gauge the general mood, so I'll add my tuppence worth.

Up until now I've backed AB, but this statement has changed my stance.

The "genuine fans" comment is basically saying if you don't agree you're not a fan.

Well Mrs Budge, I've had an ST continuously for the last 50 years, I've missed 6 domestic fixtures (H&A) in the last 45 years, I don't agree with you, so am I not a "genuine fan" any more ?

You say it's been a "disappointing start".

Had we come off the back of a good season, a 5 game winless run would have been "disappointing" but not critical, but to go a year serving up the utter shite we've been subjected to is a hell of a lot more than that.

You say the board have continuously invested in the squad, that's true, but only because previous investments have failed on a regular basis.

You use the now tired old excuse of injuries.

Yes we've suffered more than most, but a team that should be challenging at the top of the league should have a squad capable of at least staying in touch, even without 3 or 4 of their first choice players.

You say the long term planning is "constantly being reviewed and revised."

Well hoping that a couple of players will come back from injury soon is not planning, it's crossing your fingers and hoping for the best.

Your statement was no doubt intended to calm the anger of the fans, all it has done is pour fuel on the flames.

This means you're either hopelessly out of touch or showing utter contempt for those that care deeply about this club, OUR CLUB.

Either way, something has to be done, and done soon, or you risk undoing all the hard work done by a lot of dedicated people over the last 5 years

A very good post here. 

The genuine fans comment is quite incredible coming from the top.

Ann Budge, who we thought was planning for the future, now appears to be rolling the dice on an all or nothing gamble with Levein. 

It appears that as long as Budge is here, so is Levein. 

There are messages above, in this thread, which answer these questions, or at least give my interpretation of what is happening...This is a common JKB thing - people dive into the middle of a discussion and fire off a response to a single post. The context of a discussion is important. Same with Budge's statement - it is clear from the comments on here that many people got so incensed by the phrase "genuine fans" that they comment on that alone without looking at the context of it within her statement...

The problem is there isn’t actually any other content worth talking about.

injuries mumble mumble

plan mumble mumble

big bad media mumble mumble

The whole thing is badly worded and extremely childish. Even the genuine supporter bit aside, the comments about not being strong etc are akin to saying no we’re no you are. 

If she wanted to say Levein has their support, a simple statement saying the form has not been good enough but the board believe Levein is still the right man to turn it around is all that was needed. 

Now the majority of us would have disagreed but ffs she doesn’t have make it worse. There was no need for that kind of statement. 

6 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

She doesn’t care about your support or anyone else’s. That’s the fundamental issue people have with her statement. 

Indeed. At least we recognise our lack of importance. There are a lot of angry men on here who don't...

5 minutes ago, jambobob61 said:

That is merely stupid, of course he is paid to be confrontational, that is what sells the programme to the viewers.

Silly me. There was me thinking the programme was about football, I didn't realise the purpose was just to set out to rile fans.

Indeed and the only opinion that matters is Budge's not any of ours!

I thought the transition towards fan ownership was meant to ensure greater oversight so we weren’t left at the whims of one person.

This board clearly seems to have no backbone either.

Unless Levein goes on a winning steak until start of next season he's gone. 

I think he's got these next two games to get two wins or he's out of here. 

I've read the statement. Other than the genuine supporter statement I think she's just trying to be level headed. 

I know we're in a period in football of demanding immediate success and sacking managers within 2-3 games, or months of not hitting expectations so I can see where she is coming from. 

However, 

For me end of last season was my no go mark. 6 place isn't good enough. 

I'm totally confused tbh. I can't work Budge out but I know Levein is done. Which is sad tbh. 

Just now, Hot since 86 said:

The problem is there isn’t actually any other content worth talking about.

injuries mumble mumble

plan mumble mumble

big bad media mumble mumble

The problem is that it was a lot clearer, sensible and more balanced than anything Vlad ever said but seems to have caused just as much debate and rage! haha

1 minute ago, Hot since 86 said:

I thought the transition towards fan ownership was meant to ensure greater oversight so we weren’t left at the whims of one person.

This board clearly seems to have no backbone either.

We each have our own opinions about what fan ownership means. I think a lot of us are going to be disappointed by it.

44 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

It is not about being right or wrong - it about the highlighted bit and his inability to given Levein credit when it has been due. He is in the media but he is not balanced, impartial or objective. Ergo to Ann's mind he is not "genuine"

Why did she choose to insert the word genuine supporter to have a rant at impartiality in the media? It's a bizarre way to have a pop at Stewart and if that's who she meant it's backfired big time

Just now, Spellczech said:

The problem is that it was a lot clearer, sensible and more balanced than anything Vlad ever said but seems to have caused just as much debate and rage! haha

Haha

i quite liked a Vlad rant for what it was, he was mental.

For me it’s waaaay more disappointing to have someone you had such respect and belief in to come out with such an awful statement.

We each have our own opinions about what fan ownership means. I think a lot of us are going to be disappointed by it.

Can’t help but agree sadly.

Austin MacGlee
3 minutes ago, HMFC86 said:

The whole thing is badly worded and extremely childish. Even the genuine supporter bit aside, the comments about not being strong etc are akin to saying no we’re no you are. 

If she wanted to say Levein has their support, a simple statement saying the form has not been good enough but the board believe Levein is still the right man to turn it around is all that was needed. 

Now the majority of us would have disagreed but ffs she doesn’t have make it worse. There was no need for that kind of statement. 

Couldn't agree more. All she had to say was that the manager had her backing and the backing of the board. Loads of people would've been unhappy with that but she has totally messed up the delivery of that message by mentioning pundits, media and the "genuine fans" comment and has only made feelings towards the manager and the board even more strained.

5 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The defence force is out in force today by the looks of it.

Are you ever going to say anything interesting Geoff?

15 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Her job to see the big picture. If you want to properly wield the axe then you have to cease to just be a customer and become the owner. Once your money is where your mouth is you can do what you want. Until then she has the right to do what she wants...

I wondered where you were hiding but now your back defending the undefendable. Try taking off your Levein tinted glasses a see the harm Levein & co are doing to the Hearts.