Ann Budge Statement today ( edited )

mitch41

2 hours ago, Austin MacGlee said:

I've been avoiding posting on here because I'm just completely worn out with all things Hearts at the moment.

This statement, though. The "genuine fans" comment was completely unnecessary and comes across petulant and juvenile. No wonder people are reacting negatively. There was no need for it. It reads like an angry substitute school teacher trying to gain control of a rowdy class.

Our form in 2019 and the end of 2018 is nothing short of a disgrace and fans are protesting because of a culmination of years of under-performing and embarrassing results under Craig's stewardship; not five games as she states.

I’m sick fed up of hearing about injuries. WHY are our squad so susceptible to bad injuries? That wasn’t addressed in the statement but injuries were used as an excuse for our poor form.

My biggest concern is that it’s not just a case of getting rid of a manager or a head coach as was highlighted by the statement’s continual references to “their” plan. He has his fingers in almost every footballing pie at the club, including the footballing strategy which the board appear to have bought into and are backing, so that means, short-term at least, he would need to go back upstairs if he is relieved of his first team managerial duties. Surely if we are to remove him entirely then it will take time for him to hand over all his other duties? And if so, who does the recruiting for all the roles he currently occupies and who forms a new footballing strategy? Is this why she is so reluctant to act? I was previously in favour of him moving back upstairs because of this very reason. At least until we had time to change things in a proper way with a proper handover from him.

I do think we as a club need a clean break from him, though. He’s done a lot of good and was a wonderful player for us. There’s no doubting his love for the club but he needs to go and go completely. His presence now is too divisive and, quite frankly, he is failing at his job. We’re bottom of the table.

It’s a sad state of affairs but Mrs Budge is risking a lot with her unwavering loyalty to Craig.

I’m dreading Sunday. I’m dreading the rest of the season. I just want to see a ray of light at the end of the tunnel. The statement raised more questions than it answered and she got the tone completely wrong.

You could add to the above list of failures the recruitment of Ian Cathro as head coach. A feature of CL is that he always wants to pull a masterstroke of planning and insight that he thinks no-one else would be smart enough to have thought of. With players it has sometimes worked but as often as not it falls flat on its face. With Cathro it was a fiasco and CL should have been called to account for that, not made first team coach.

We lost a promising coach in Jack Ross in what sounds like a clash of egos, and I'm thinking that CL has become a bit of a megalomaniac in the way he conducts himself, to the detriment of the club. 

I still think that AB understands the problem and is managing it. I doubt if CL will be manager at the end of next week, maybe even by Saturday.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Spellczech

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Is that the majority of their customers complaining about that? Once again for the hard of thinking no business will be successful if they ignore the wishes of the majority of their customers, football especially.

It just doesn’t work like that mate. Football is not a normal business, and you can’t really compare it to one in a valid way. 

22 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Genuine fans

:seething:

I just can't let that lie.

Many on here have been members of kickback longer than she has been a ****ing Hearts fan!

Over 20 years for me, sad git that I am.  Oh and our glorious leader is quickly alienating her paying customers and the source of the £6 million that was the clubs income when she brought the club out of administration.

Perhaps with a turnover of more than £12 million she can treat us with disrespect because she does not need our money anymore 

Personally believe there is a bigger picture here that sometimes you just have to accept for long term success...take Hibs for example they look like they have no direction as a club and get by due to their Scottish Cup win....I have ran out of time with Craig as well but in fairness I have already written off this season due to the horrendous injuries we have and hope the foundations are finally in place for next season with a new manager in place accurately appointed...there is more to life than if your team wins or loses but as a supporter you have to accept the good and the bad

17 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I agree that there’s no point this week sacking him and leaving MacPhee, Daly, Fox etc... to run the show because they are as culpable for this shitshow.

If that was the case, she could have come out and said that, “we are drawing up a shortlist of candidates and will begin interviews shortly. In the meantime Craig will continue as manager in the interim until a successor is found.”

She’s going to look a bit daft if she has backed him publicly, then we lose the next two and she is forced to sack him, or worse, she continues to back him. She’s actually in danger of making her own position untenable.

Thinking ahead...

It’s the worst run of form in like, forever. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Craig’s now going to have to go on a run of 12 games or so, with maybe only one or two defeats to get us back into a top 4 spot. At the moment that seems ridiculously impossible and it probably is.

The position is because of the improbability of him winning 8 or 9 in the next 12, he’s going to have to go at some point soon, otherwise we’re finishing mid table at best. That is why I cannot understand the position she has taken. It seems foolish.

I’m sceptical that the board are/have considering or considered replacing Levein tbh. It seems like they have some plan and they are sticking to it. 

Exactly.

we are just delaying the inevitable. 

Craig Levein one way ore another will either be sacked or will leave the club as manager at some point this season. 

It had gone on to long now for us to be so poor that the fans will never back him fully again. 

He also does not have the ability to turn this around and get us back to winning regularly. He has been trying for 9 or 10 months and it hasn’t worked. 

26 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

You in need of a hug? Come on, who cares...She has a business to run and she takes issue with some of her customers who are idiots, and others, who are not those idiots, but choose to show solidarity with the idiots than support her stance...Everyone has a choice, but you have to be an adult and recognise that we are not sheep and people may take different positions. I have different opinions from Mitch41 and we nip at each other, but he does engage and discuss. I respect his right to his opinions even when I'm being snidey towards him! 

So that is a no then.

Maybe she should try talk more positively about the fans instead of having a go at every opportunity.

Also fans are not customers unless you are suggesting we should be getting some value out of the money we give the business in which case Levein really ought to be out on his arse already!

Edited by kila

17 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I agree that there’s no point this week sacking him and leaving MacPhee, Daly, Fox etc... to run the show because they are as culpable for this shitshow.

If that was the case, she could have come out and said that, “we are drawing up a shortlist of candidates and will begin interviews shortly. In the meantime Craig will continue as manager in the interim until a successor is found.”

She’s going to look a bit daft if she has backed him publicly, then we lose the next two and she is forced to sack him, or worse, she continues to back him. She’s actually in danger of making her own position untenable.

Thinking ahead...

It’s the worst run of form in like, forever. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Craig’s now going to have to go on a run of 12 games or so, with maybe only one or two defeats to get us back into a top 4 spot. At the moment that seems ridiculously impossible and it probably is.

The position is because of the improbability of him winning 8 or 9 in the next 12, he’s going to have to go at some point soon, otherwise we’re finishing mid table at best. That is why I cannot understand the position she has taken. It seems foolish.

I’m sceptical that the board are/have considering or considered replacing Levein tbh. It seems like they have some plan and they are sticking to it. 

Worth pointing out the fixtures for the next 12 matches!!

Hibs - A

St Mirren - A

Kilmarnock - H

Rangers - H

Livingston - A

St Johnstone - A

Celtic - H

St Mirren - H

Kilmarnock - A

Rangers - A

Livingston - H

Motherwell - A

Maybe a maximum of 3 or 4 wins in there.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

I don't know why this is up for debate. You state something that is broadly accepted as a given, yet the posters who put themselves up for being sensible, sane and patient waste time drilling down into it trying to find examples. The first ones to moan if somebody on the flip side of the debate says anything even slightly off topic.

Indeed, I can accept it when I say something debatable out of left field. 

6 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I’m thinking of some future scenarios here which I don’t believe they have truly thought through.

If we finish mid table, get knocked out the cups early doors and Craig’s still incharge, Ann still at the helm... How many people are going to bother their arse buying a season ticket next season? It’s already went from 14,000 plus, to whatever it is now, continually dropping season on season. We must have lost around 3,000 different individual season ticket holders in the last 3 seasons. That isn’t sustainable for a club, that’s poor management. 

We have to finish top 4 this season and fight for cups. At some point there has to be a cut off point. Me personally it was 5 games, after taking into account last season. October or November is too late to make a change and save the season. Surely they realise this? 

There will always be a hardcore of about 10K that will renew their season ticket. Probably include myself in that 10K TBH. 

1 minute ago, David McCaig said:

Hibs - A

St Mirren - A

Kilmarnock - H

Rangers - H

Livingston - A

St Johnstone - A

Celtic - H

St Mirren - H

Kilmarnock - A

Rangers - A

Livingston - H

Motherwell - A

The players are shit feard of playing at Tynie now. 

Just now, TheOak88 said:

There will always be a hardcore of about 10K that will renew their season ticket. Probably include myself in that 10K TBH. 

I’ll always go regardless because I’m a Hearts fan whether we’re in division 4 or the SPFL. There’s still a lot of hardcore fans who feel that they need to force the issue though, not everyone’s the same. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, TheOak88 said:

It just doesn’t work like that mate. Football is not a normal business, and you can’t really compare it to one in a valid way. 

I know that I said that, it’s even more so that if the fans want something almost in every occasion it happens. How many managers have ever been at a club for over two years, not won a league game in 6 months, on a run that’s the worst in the clubs history, relegation form in the last year, fans singing for him to leave, protests at matches and on social media, and the majority of fans want out have ever turned that around because the owner won’t change the plan?

2 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

If Levein is still at the club at the end of the season I wouldn’t renew and that would be the first time since I was 12 I wouldn’t have had a season ticket. I’m 39 now. 

My Dad and all my friends are the same. Some didn’t renew this season because they are sick of it all!!! 

4 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Exactly.

we are just delaying the inevitable. 

Craig Levein one way ore another will either be sacked or will leave the club as manager at some point this season. 

It had gone on to long now for us to be so poor that the fans will never back him fully again. 

He also does not have the ability to turn this around and get us back to winning regularly. He has been trying for 9 or 10 months and it hasn’t worked. 

It is inevitable but are they going to see out the season with Levein in charge. They have to have a cut off point to rescue the season or the board aren’t fit for purpose because they are facilitating it. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Hibs - A

St Mirren - A

Kilmarnock - H

Rangers - H

Livingston - A

St Johnstone - A

Celtic - H

St Mirren - H

Kilmarnock - A

Rangers - A

Livingston - H

Motherwell - A

I think that’s generous, we’ve barely won a couple of those league fixtures at those venues in the last two years.

2 hours ago, Austin MacGlee said:

I've been avoiding posting on here because I'm just completely worn out with all things Hearts at the moment.

This statement, though. The "genuine fans" comment was completely unnecessary and comes across petulant and juvenile. No wonder people are reacting negatively. There was no need for it. It reads like an angry substitute school teacher trying to gain control of a rowdy class.

Our form in 2019 and the end of 2018 is nothing short of a disgrace and fans are protesting because of a culmination of years of under-performing and embarrassing results under Craig's stewardship; not five games as she states.

I’m sick fed up of hearing about injuries. WHY are our squad so susceptible to bad injuries? That wasn’t addressed in the statement but injuries were used as an excuse for our poor form.

My biggest concern is that it’s not just a case of getting rid of a manager or a head coach as was highlighted by the statement’s continual references to “their” plan. He has his fingers in almost every footballing pie at the club, including the footballing strategy which the board appear to have bought into and are backing, so that means, short-term at least, he would need to go back upstairs if he is relieved of his first team managerial duties. Surely if we are to remove him entirely then it will take time for him to hand over all his other duties? And if so, who does the recruiting for all the roles he currently occupies and who forms a new footballing strategy? Is this why she is so reluctant to act? I was previously in favour of him moving back upstairs because of this very reason. At least until we had time to change things in a proper way with a proper handover from him.

I do think we as a club need a clean break from him, though. He’s done a lot of good and was a wonderful player for us. There’s no doubting his love for the club but he needs to go and go completely. His presence now is too divisive and, quite frankly, he is failing at his job. We’re bottom of the table.

It’s a sad state of affairs but Mrs Budge is risking a lot with her unwavering loyalty to Craig.

I’m dreading Sunday. I’m dreading the rest of the season. I just want to see a ray of light at the end of the tunnel. The statement raised more questions than it answered and she got the tone completely wrong.

Agree with you. The long awaited announcement form Budge was disappointing and left fans feeling more isolated from how the club is run, ironically only a few months from fan ownership. We must keep pledging though and complete the whole buy back project. Levein has to leave immediately or risk becoming the Jim MacLean if his time........

3 minutes ago, weehammy said:

So why refer to her age and ‘grannyhood’?

Also, what exactly is a ‘proper’ football fan?

Give me one instance in world football where a 71 year old grandmother has run a football club well?

This press release has been a massive mistake by Budge, and you can feel the fans starting to really turn on her. 

If my friends are reflective of others fans, there appears a real desire to get her away from the Club much sooner than previously thought. 

Fundamentally, she had misjudged how angry the supporters are about the lack of leadership at the Club just now. 

Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

It is inevitable but are they going to see out the season with Levein in charge. They have to have a cut off point to rescue the season or the board aren’t fit for purpose because they are facilitating it. 🤷🏼‍♂️

He should never have been given the start of the season and even after the 4 league cup matches we all knew how the season was going to pan out!!  

He cant get them playing. He has lost the ability to get them winning. 

I agree with you now though that 5 matches and bottom of the table should have been the cut of and the statement yesterday should have said he was leaving the club. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

I think that’s generous, we’ve barely won a couple of those league fixtures at those venues in the last two years.

St Johnstone away, St Mirren and Livi at home would be my best tips for wins. At the moment it’s hard to see any of the other games resulting in three points.

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Well we can assume the ones with "H" will not be won.  Ann Budge has seen to that.  Tynecastle is a community Centre there for all - including the away team and fans.

5 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Give me one instance in world football where a 71 year old grandmother has run a football club well?

norwich...maybe...haven't checked.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, leginten said:

St Johnstone away, St Mirren and Livi at home would be my best tips for wins. At the moment it’s hard to see any of the other games resulting in three points.

We haven’t won in Perth for a while. St Mirren have started well, we only beat livi once in 3 attempts at Tynie last season. As I said they won’t be easy, look at our three (or five) home performances this season already.

Budge really has painted herself into a corner. If we were to be embarrassed at Easter Road on Sunday - not entirely unlikely given how dispirited the players look at the moment - the calls for Levein to go would surely be irresistible. What would she do then? Stick to her guns?

53 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

wakey wakey you should read more on-line and look at the polls. 

A poll of over a thousand is a massive sample of the feelings of Hearts fans if you can't understand that i can't help you. Accusing me of inventing figures is a very serious accusation but i forgive you my friend, this time anyway lol.

1,000 is a lot but is only truly representative if it contains true cross section of the support, if they are all of the same ilk or background or the same organisation (eg JKB or Facebook) then it cannot be considered truly representative .....

17 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Hibs - A

St Mirren - A

Kilmarnock - H

Rangers - H

Livingston - A

St Johnstone - A

Celtic - H

St Mirren - H

Kilmarnock - A

Rangers - A

Livingston - H

Motherwell - A

Maybe a maximum of 3 or 4 Points in there.

FTFY

1 minute ago, leginten said:

Budge really has painted herself into a corner. If we were to be embarrassed at Easter Road on Sunday - not entirely unlikely given how dispirited the players look at the moment - the calls for Levein to go would surely be irresistible. What would she do then? Stick to her guns?

Maybe she will maybe she won’t - it’s her decision! 

NB I would suggest that the next 2 matches are absolutely critical on whether action is taken or not!

1 minute ago, Jambo-Fox said:

1,000 is a lot but is only truly representative if it contains true cross section of the support, if they are all of the same ilk or background or the same organisation (eg JKB or Facebook) then it cannot be considered truly representative .....

Out there in the real world you can't find anyone who doesn't want Levein sacked.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Well we can assume the ones with "H" will not be won.  Ann Budge has seen to that.  Tynecastle is a community Centre there for all - including the away team and fans.

I can give my season ticket for my new seat in section P for the Killie game. As much as she has tried so far this season I’ve heard bigotry, misogyny and the bad songs, chants and songs about Levein, standing, and some of the most vitriolic abuse towards a manager I’ve ever uttered. I just don’t see this sanitised version of the club that people have. 

Im all up for making the club progressive but let’s not kid ourselves that it’s happened already.

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We haven’t won in Perth for a while. St Mirren have started well, we only beat livi once in 3 attempts at Tynie last season. As I said they won’t be easy, look at our three (or five) home performances this season already.

I know. I’m clutching at straws.

How long can a winless league run conceivably go on?

😱

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Do you know any Jambos that don’t want him sacked? I literally come into contact with hundreds of them in the real world and the vast majority want him out, apart from one of the mods on here.

Pasquale for King
Just now, leginten said:

I know. I’m clutching at straws.

How long can a winless league run conceivably go on?

😱

That is the question we all want answered. I’ve never felt like this before a derby. Always want to beat these ***** 8 nil. Go above them, heck sacked and they get first choice of a new guy.Will a defeat feel as bad as usual if it means we can progress to the next chapter. Does a win cure it all? Does a draw count as a good result. Confused.com 🙈.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

She is an old granny though. Oversees the catering herself I heard.

Lentil soup, stovies, mince and tatties.

13 minutes ago, leginten said:

Yes she has bound herself to Levein.  A bizarre thing to do.

That said I see a win on Sunday and in the League cup match.  And that means that the plan marches on with plenty of fans swinging back in their attitudes towards Levein.

I found the statement totally disrespectful of the fans. I'm very aware of what Budge has done for our club and am very grateful. Been a fan of hers. I've lost a chunk of respect for her after punting the party line of "after 4/5 games" and "injuries".

Worst is I've heard employees & FoH representative saying the same

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

That is the question we all want answered. I’ve never felt like this before a derby. Always want to beat these ***** 8 nil. Go above them, heck sacked and they get first choice of a new guy.Will a defeat feel as bad as usual if it means we can progress to the next chapter. Does a win cure it all? Does a draw count as a good result. Confused.com 🙈.

I’m not in that state. I was highly critical of the club’s attitude to derbies in the first three years after administration. That attitude is possibly the one on-field thing that has improved, albeit very marginally, with Levein as manager. I want us to go there and destroy Hibs. I can’t say I’m optimistic, though.

Edit: sorry, didn’t mean to imply you don’t also wish for the same.

Edited by leginten

Oh Ann what have you done. You really have made a Rod For Your Own Back with this train wreck of an interview in the paper.

How Ann could turn so many of the Hearts support against her for her backing for Craig Levein. After all the work she has supervised on the business side of the club she has alienated her self from our loyal fans who after 5 years of giving their all for the club. And all for her backing of a man who has let her and the fans down with his mismanagement of the players and team. How could Ann get it so wrong ?

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, leginten said:

I’m not in that state. I was highly critical of the club’s attitude to derbies in the first three years after administration. That attitude is possibly the one on-field thing that has improved, albeit very marginally, with Levein as manager. I want us to go there and destroy Hibs. I can’t say I’m optimistic, though.

Edit: sorry, didn’t mean to imply you don’t also wish for the same.

Agreed, a defeat takes him into a negative win loss record against them. What will be will be. We can only hope.

41 minutes ago, rick witter said:

If Levein is still at the club at the end of the season I wouldn’t renew and that would be the first time since I was 12 I wouldn’t have had a season ticket. I’m 39 now. 

My Dad and all my friends are the same. Some didn’t renew this season because they are sick of it all!!! 

You aren’t part of the 10K I was talking about. 

44 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I know that I said that, it’s even more so that if the fans want something almost in every occasion it happens. How many managers have ever been at a club for over two years, not won a league game in 6 months, on a run that’s the worst in the clubs history, relegation form in the last year, fans singing for him to leave, protests at matches and on social media, and the majority of fans want out have ever turned that around because the owner won’t change the plan?

Not many I would guess. 

41 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I was trying to be positive, its an exceptionally challenging set of fixtures coming up, with hard to win home fixtures and tricky away matches at venues we don't have a great record at.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, David McCaig said:

I was trying to be positive, its an exceptionally challenging set of fixtures coming up, with hard to win home fixtures and tricky away matches at venues we don't have a great record at.

Yes indeed, it’s hard to be positive just now.

A view from afar, having just read the statement, as a piece of corporate fluff its about right, however what she and the people who presumably advise her don't seem to get is that corporate fluff doesn't really cut it at a football club, peoples passion for their club is extreme and that tends to lead to extreme reactions, she's expecting people to react to what is going on with the same passion as rebranding your breakfast cereal, its all a bit weird, the board sees what's happening and yet feels all we need is more time and a few tweaks to the plan and all will come right, the rot is much deeper than that. Time for change.

Her statement comes across very angry and condescending. Unlike her actually. Usually quite professional. 

Also, I dont get this 5 games nonsense. He oversaw the cathro shambles. Then when he took over in august 2017, he led us to 6th, last season led us to 6th and this season has us bottom. Playing boring football also.

Its 3 seasons now (including this one) that he has failed miserably. All "real" fans can see that. I've not met any Hearts fan who wants him to stay now and that includes guys prepared to give him more time up to a few weeks ago. 

3 hours ago, Spoleto said:

You mean the previous games where we went off like a rocket, only to be hampered by injuries to key players, finished top 6 and reached a LC Semi and a Scottish Cup Final?

League form,worse in the spll,had enough excuses to last a lifetime, that's what I am on about.cup final who did we beat to get there? 

43 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I can give my season ticket for my new seat in section P for the Killie game. As much as she has tried so far this season I’ve heard bigotry, misogyny and the bad songs, chants and songs about Levein, standing, and some of the most vitriolic abuse towards a manager I’ve ever uttered. I just don’t see this sanitised version of the club that people have. 

Im all up for making the club progressive but let’s not kid ourselves that it’s happened already.

Just another made up ‘stick’ to beat the club with. Suspect there’s more than a few who don’t really want things to get better. They enjoy the slagging, abuse, moaning etc. Fair do’s - everyone finds their fun in their own way. 

30 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Oh Ann what have you done. You really have made a Rod For Your Own Back with this train wreck of an interview in the paper.

How Ann could turn so many of the Hearts support against her for her backing for Craig Levein. After all the work she has supervised on the business side of the club she has alienated her self from our loyal fans who after 5 years of giving their all for the club. And all for her backing of a man who has let her and the fans down with his mismanagement of the players and team. How could Ann get it so wrong ?

Won’t affect you Mitch. You didn’t like her before the statement was issued. Many others the same.