***OFFICIAL SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD***

Absolute Scenes

johnthomas
51 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

U don't understand either, do u think u should be picked for a squad if u aren't playing regularly surely u pick your best squad no? Did u see his outing against livi away the man was past it everyone could see that including Levein hence why he hardly got any game time after that what im trying to say it is easier to get picked for northern Ireland because they don't have a massive pool of players to pick from i know Aaron Hughes was a good player but he's finished good pro like u said though? 24 games in two years isn't much too shout about either mate and i would like to bet he came of the bench a few times in they two years. 

It's not a case of people not understanding . Your post was nonsensical . Hughes and McGennis situation completely different .

Take your time

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

The Apprentice
3 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Okay, thanks for that. Hoping to have a good discussion about this, and maybe have my view of him changed a little.

I don’t actually doubt Levein tbh. If Levein wants him, then it actually helps a little for me, because he has forgotten more about professional football than I will ever understand. Levein will see things that punters do not.

What specifically about Bolton Wanderers made them such a shambles last season, that MaGennis found himself running out 42 times and only managed to score four times? That’s the bit that could help me muster a bit of enthusiasm. ?

Bolton’s problems were pretty well documented last season. Severe financial issues which led to administration. Players and staff not getting paid for months and other clubs/PFA chipping in money to assist. Basically the whipping boys of the league where their goal return in general was poor. Looks like Magennis actually ended up as their top scorer. I am not sure about his potential signing either way at the moment but I wouldn’t hold his goalscoring record last season against him as there were lots of mitigating factors. 

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Michael O Neill and Phil Parkinson clearly have had a lot of time for him. 

What I have seen myself is a much improved player. Thought he was shite up here to be honest,  changed my view.

So personally would be delighted if it comes off.

Not to say he will be our super sub.

They aren’t exactly blessed with many options ?

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

I see isma is a free agent.. better than magennis

Based on what? Or were you asking the question?

Mr Elwood P
2 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I know that i think u have misunderstood what im trying to say he hasn't kicked a ball for Hearts in over two years yet still gets in the squad. Which in itself is laughable how easy is it to get a cap. 

You don’t get a cap for being in the squad, you get a cap for playing.  Everything must be ‘laughable’ when you don’t know the basics.

14 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

Bolton’s problems were pretty well documented last season. Severe financial issues which led to administration. Players and staff not getting paid for months and other clubs/PFA chipping in money to assist. Basically the whipping boys of the league where their goal return in general was poor. Looks like Magennis actually ended up as their top scorer. I am not sure about his potential signing either way at the moment but I wouldn’t hold his goalscoring record last season against him as there were lots of mitigating factors. 

Fair enough.

Bongo 1874
21 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

It's not a case of people not understanding . Your post was nonsensical . Hughes and McGennis situation completely different .

Take your time

Aye ok it's that nonsensical that both players are representing the same team that doesn't carry a large pool of players that also has four English men in it that would get nowhere near the England team however you crack on though ? but jesus tonight take your time??

Edited by Bongo 1874

cosanostra

A friend heard from a current player that Vanecek is hopeless. 

As in, miles short of the standard they heard he was going to be.

Might be bollocks but i think it's quite clear that we can't pin any sort of hope on him. If we can get someone else to take over his contract (unlikely), i think he might leave.

Bongo 1874
3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

You don’t get a cap for being in the squad, you get a cap for playing.  Everything must be ‘laughable’ when you don’t know the basics.

And where did i say u get a cap for being in the squad please enlighten me? U could come on for five minutes and get a cap my god your ignorance is baffling. 

1 minute ago, cosanostra said:

Might be bollocks but i think it's quite clear that we can't pin any sort of hope on him. If we can get someone else to take over his contract (unlikely), i think he might leave.

If true, then whoever scouted him should be shot.

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Two things: he didn’t look hopeless when he made his (admittedly) brief appearances and whoever signed off the deal should be sacked. 

Nookie Bear

I heard from a TRUSTED SAUCE that Vanacek turns up for training in clown car and needs help tying his laces. 

cosanostra
Just now, sac said:

It seems we always have to employ at least one absolute shiter at all times from a foreign league on decent wages with a 3yr deal that some chump scouted from somewhere and is light years away from contributing to the first team. Oshaniwa, Martin and possibly now big Dave.

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I would be delighted to be wrong about how I rate MaGennis. Thankfully there are a few on here who seem to rate him pretty highly. I freely admit, I am going by the guy that I saw playing for Aberdeen and Killie and then looking at his stats after that.

I assume the folk on here at pains to point out he’s a better player now, have watched him playing since he left Scotland? If so, Can I ask two questions:

What has changed? What does he now do better?

What happened last season at Bolton, where he scored 1 goal in ten appearances?

Not sure many rate him "highly". 

For our level I wouldn't write him off and he's not as bad as some have tried to make out. 

He was decent at Killie, has played regularly and is a current international for a team similar to our level. 

He's not a wow signing but hardly warrants another barrage of abuse directed at CL, like some have done. 

We won't get many Naismith type signings, if fans expect 4/5 of his ilk they are not being realistic. 

As for Lafferty, his goal scoring record wasn't great either before our season and he used us as a stepping stone to get too rangers. 

Folk have also mentioned Shankland, I think he'd be worth a gig, but Mcgennis(sp) has a far better CV and on paper would have more of an immediate impact for  us. 

Probably not sign him tbh, if any other lower English Championship side want him he'll be off there I reckon That's more realistic than him not being our level imo. 

A Tragic reflection of the financal gulf. 

As for Walker...... ? I'll let you take deep breathes. 

2 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I have heard from the father of a Hearts player that Vanecek is actually that bad that others actually find it comical. 

I’ve mentioned before that Paul Gallagher has mentioned this to my uncle, cousin is a keeper at youth level. Also heard this from Jamie Brandon as well. Miles off it, he’s actually a bit of a joke amongst the players for how bad he is. He’ll be gone before the window shuts id imagine. 

cosanostra
3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Two things: he didn’t look hopeless when he made his (admittedly) brief appearances and whoever signed off the deal should be sacked. 

He wasn't great. 

He's been about as disappointing as you can get. McLean and Keena seem to be before him for chances.

Mr Elwood P
6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

And where did i say u get a cap for being in the squad please enlighten me? U could come on for five minutes and get a cap my god your ignorance is baffling. 

I’d go back and read what you’ve posted. 

Bongo 1874
1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I’d go back and read what you’ve posted. 

Saying that someone is in the squad is not saying they are getting caps however next time take your time ?

Mr Elwood P
2 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

For those that want to beat the drum about Magennis having 43 caps Aaron Hughes has been getting picked for virtually every squad and has hardly kicked a ball for Hearts in the last two years for me that really put things into perspective about this 43 caps. 

What did you mean here? If you used sentences and punctuation it would be easier for you to get your point across.

Bongo 1874
Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

What did you mean here? If you used sentences and punctuation it would be easier for you to get your point across.

Exactly what it says that he has been in the squad and has hardly kicked a ball for Hearts in the last two years ? it's not that hard to understand but for u take your time ?

Bongo 1874
3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Look for what its worth i can't be bothered arguing about this mate personally i don't think Magennis is good enough for Hearts and think we can get better i have presented facts many times on this thread but people choose to ignore them they are entitled to there opinion as am i. 

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Exactly what it says that he has been in the squad and has hardly kicked a ball for Hearts in the last two years ? it's not that hard to understand but for u take your time ?

What is the correlation between Hughes being in the squad, but not playing, with Magennis’ number of caps?

heartmussel

This is getting even funnier than listening to Ewan Cameron on the radio?‍♂️

Jambof3tornado

Few people now mentioning vanecek, how can we as a club have got it so wrong if he is as bad as players are saying?

Is there a link in martin, juwon amd vanecek, perhaps in that the same person brought them all to our attention or have we just been unlucky??

Has to be something badly amiss given the money involved.

All roads lead to Gorgie

The Vanecek situation and a few other signings before him has stopped me from getting overly excited about unknown players, at least to us, joining. 

Mageniss on the other hand is a player who looked strong when he played in Scotland before and unlike Sammon as an example seems to have improved with international experience. Wouldn't mind him signing. 

Nookie Bear
20 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

He wasn't great. 

He's been about as disappointing as you can get. McLean and Keena seem to be before him for chances.

He was better than Sean Clare. Probably still is :)

25 minutes ago, sac said:

Should be easy for the club to find out who, just search the YouTube history of our staff. Clearly nobody went to the effort to get on a plane to the Czech Republic to actually watch him.

Bongo 1874
10 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

What is the correlation between Hughes being in the squad, but not playing, with Magennis’ number of caps?

That u don't have to be a quality player to play for Northern Ireland they are what they are.,that's one of the reasons why they have four English men in the team. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

I wouldn't be averse to Isma coming back.

If we'd had Lafferty, Isma, Milinkovic and Walker last season instead of Vanecek, Edwards, Wighton and McLean we'd have finished at least third IMO.

I'm in know way ITK but I reckon our signings will be Gordon, Walker, Adam, Anya, Magennis and Gary Hooper with Dunne coming back on loan if we get a big enough offer for Souttar.

Bull's-eye
6 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Few people now mentioning vanecek, how can we as a club have got it so wrong if he is as bad as players are saying?

Is there a link in martin, juwon amd vanecek, perhaps in that the same person brought them all to our attention or have we just been unlucky??

What money is that? 

19 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Folk getting bent all out of shape to have a go.

see what you started ? Throw us another name............. Top entertainment. 

Just now, Jambof3tornado said:

Its shocking. We're not the sort of sized club that can afford these sort of mistakes. Foreign signings need to be scouted as thoroughly as possible (all signings do, but it appears we fare worse abroad). Its not just been Martin, Osh, Vanecek, theres been Grzelak, Juanma had a stinking attitude, Kenny Anderson was woeful, Rherras wasn't good, Avlonitis was shite, Amankwaa too.

I understand there is going to be some players that just don't work out, but the volume of busted flushes is all too frequent. I know John Park is heading to Sunderland, but I wonder, given he is allegedly a Hearts fan, how interested he might be in taking over from Murray after he's finished at Sunderland?

Bad Religion
4 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

What has Hughes got to do with anything???

You could ask Bongo but not sure he really knows. 

1 minute ago, Pagey said:

see what you started ? Throw us another name............. Top entertainment. 

I did warn you all before I posted it???. It's hilarious.

1 minute ago, Bad Religion said:

I think i will give that a miss tbf.

Bongo 1874
1 minute ago, Bad Religion said:

See above ^

Bull's-eye
Just now, Jambof3tornado said:

Wasted wages on shite?!?

There's always going to be wages spent on players that don't get into the team. These players will always be perceived as Shite if you can't understand you can only play 11 at a time. 

It's something that won't be changing anytime soon.

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Does anyone know why we were so easy to deal with there? I know we got a fee but he was doing ok - was it a Cathro decision to get rid?

I said earlier on this thread that I thought Magennis was a huddy but after watching him playing for for NI yesterday albeit for 20 mins I saw a guy that’s got excellent movement, wins headers and can score goals.

Mr Elwood P
20 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

That u don't have to be a quality player to play for Northern Ireland they are what they are.,that's one of the reasons why they have four English men in the team. 

So Hughes being in the squad and not playing means that Magennis who was in the squad, played and scored two goals isn't good enough for Hearts?

Jambof3tornado
14 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

There's always going to be wages spent on players that don't get into the team. These players will always be perceived as Shite if you can't understand you can only play 11 at a time. 

It's something that won't be changing anytime soon.

There are squad players and then there is money wasted on those who were never going to make it. Can you not accept the difference?

Bongo 1874
9 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

So Hughes being in the squad and not playing means that Magennis who was in the squad, played and scored two goals isn't good enough for Hearts?

No it doesn't mean that, and how many times has Magennis been sitting on the bench and came on a done the square root of SFA? And that's why he is not good enough for Hearts do i make myself clear end of?. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

No it doesn't mean that, and how many times has Magennis been sitting on the bench and came on a done the square root of SFA? And that's why he is not good enough for Hearts do i make myself clear end of. 

Please tell us how many times he has come off the bench and done the square root of SFA.

Mr Elwood P
7 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

No it doesn't mean that, and how many times has Magennis been sitting on the bench and came on a done the square root of SFA? And that's why he is not good enough for Hearts do i make myself clear end of?. 

Not in the slightest. Are you attempting to end the debate by using 'end of' or are you asking me two questions? Are the two questions some clever rhetorical joke to troll the poor fella from North Lanarkshire. 

Bazzas right boot

Comedy gold this thread. 

Hope he signs and CL announces a contract extension with a new title of Grand Lord of Gorgie. 

Bongo 1874
3 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Please tell us how many times he has come off the bench and done the square root of SFA.

Well he was quoted by another poster out here to be some sort of Messiah because he played at the euros during the qualifiers period he scored one goal  against Greece and Lafferty scored 7 during the qualifiers in 2016 lets not kid ourselves here he had been second fiddle to Lafferty during that campaign if u go back during these qualifiers and have a look u will see he had been warming the bench have a look.