• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, weehammy said:

What a steaming pile of manure!

For once, you and I are in perfect agreement, weehammy.

Slight digression here...

Iowa autopsy report: DNC meddling led to caucus debacle

Democratic National Committee meddling, combined with missteps by the state Democratic Party, were the primary drivers of the chaos that torpedoed the Iowa caucuses earlier this year, according to a new audit commissioned by the state party.

image.png.b5d998afa125a2415770e44d01d9c535.png

No question the Trump nutters have driven a bulldozer through the door the Democratic establishment opened. But there's no changing the fact they opened it in two straight elections now, and it's little wonder some people are justifiably minded not to trust the results.

Trump's cultists do love a simple three-word, single syllable  slogan that's easy to chant.

We've had 'drain the swamp', and 'lock her up', and 'build the wall', and 'four more years'.

Now we have 'stop the steal'.

Not a bad idea really. We wouldn't want to tax their mental abilities too much by, say, introducing a two syllable word to their vocabulary. 

1 hour ago, weehammy said:

It’s easy to categorise Trump’s fans as knuckle dragging rednecks. But the worrying thing is that the Republicans in 18 states and in Congress who supported the lunatic Texas case at the Supreme Court all have college degrees - albeit usually law degrees.

Thats the problem there are all types who support Trump from academics to power boys. When it comes to creating discord there are no lines to cross the basic philosophy believed in is sufficient to eliminate barriers which may occur in other realms of human behaviour. Trump himself a rich, private school educated TV personality is cohorting with all types from mega rich to dirt poor as long as they agree with his tenets and are prepared to take violent action if required. The man is a buffoon of the first order but it cannot be denied that he has a charisma that attracts like thinkers. I repeat my oft stated  opinion that his legacy will involve extreme acts of civil disorder, violence and quite possibly fatalities. 

1 hour ago, weehammy said:

It’s easy to categorise Trump’s fans as knuckle dragging rednecks. But the worrying thing is that the Republicans in 18 states and in Congress who supported the lunatic Texas case at the Supreme Court all have college degrees - albeit usually law degrees.

It's all about money and power.  Trump has the ability to raise large sums of money and that gives him the ability to influence the political careers of others.  He can get people re-elected or he can get them booted out.  Look what he did to Jeff Sessions.

On the day of his inauguration in January 2017, Trump filed his re-election papers, which allowed him to raise campaign funds.  By the time this election rolled around, he had raised almost $800 million.  Also, he raised over $200 million to fund his legal fight against the election results, and that was in less than a month.

Money is power in US politics. Trump has plenty of both, which I'm sure is one of the reasons he doesn't want to leave.

8 hours ago, weehammy said:

Thick people are easier to manipulate.  Look at Brexit.

Politicians are just doing what politicians do:  taking advantage of people for personal gain.  They have no scruples.  Especially in a place like America where money is all the matters.

40 minutes ago, Cade said:

Georgia Electors vote for Biden.

Now it's official.

:jjyay:

Another nail in Trump's coffin today.

Michigan’s Republican Speaker of the House said the state will not change electors to give President Trump the win, despite the vote, because doing so would “bring mutually assured destruction for every future election in regards to the Electoral College.” 

In a statement, Lee Chatfield said “I fear we’d lose our country forever” should the Republicans switch the slate of electors.

“I fought hard for President Trump. Nobody wanted him to win more than me. I think he’s done an incredible job. But I love our republic, too. I can’t fathom risking our norms, traditions and institutions to pass a resolution retroactively changing the electors for Trump, simply because some think there may have been enough widespread fraud to give him the win," he continued.

7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Michigan’s Republican Speaker of the House said the state will not change electors to give President Trump the win, despite the vote, because doing so would “bring mutually assured destruction for every future election in regards to the Electoral College.” 

In a statement, Lee Chatfield said “I fear we’d lose our country forever” should the Republicans switch the slate of electors.

“I fought hard for President Trump. Nobody wanted him to win more than me. I think he’s done an incredible job. But I love our republic, too. I can’t fathom risking our norms, traditions and institutions to pass a resolution retroactively changing the electors for Trump, simply because some think there may have been enough widespread fraud to give him the win," he continued.

At least one Republican can see what Trump is trying to do.

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

An incredible job.

:rofl:

CavySlaveJambo

Wow a conservative Republican has left the party.  Over it becoming a narcissists personal army. 

major Twitter tantrum tonight? 

The Real Maroonblood
17 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Wow a conservative Republican has left the party.  Over it becoming a narcissists personal army. 

major Twitter tantrum tonight? 

Watched the interview and he was a man of integrity.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Electoral college officially in the bag for Biden. California has made it 302 to 232 (only Hawaii's 4 votes, which will also go to Biden, remain).

I P Knightley
21 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Paul Mitchell’s full letter  about leaving the GOP. 

Slow to get started but ultimately a good read.

My favourite part:

It is unacceptable for political candidates to treat our election system as though we are a third- world nation and incite distrust of something so basic as the sanctity of our vote. Further, it is unacceptable for the president to attack the Supreme Court of the United States because its judges, both liberal and conservative, did not rule with his side or that "the Court failed him." It was our Founding Fathers' objective to insulate the Supreme Court from such blatant political motivations.

Edited by I P Knightley

Kalamazoo Jambo

...and Bill Barr is leaving the White House. Not a huge surprise but interesting timing, right after Biden goes over 270 electoral college votes.

I P Knightley
1 minute ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

...and Bill Barr is leaving the White House. Not a huge surprise but interesting timing, right after Biden goes over 270 electoral college votes.

I'd've stuck around to get the inevitable heave-ho from the orange one and pick up the compo that goes with it - unless things happen differently with appointments such as his.

CavySlaveJambo
3 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Resigned before he got sacked? 
that resignation letter was weird though. 

44 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I just read Barr's resignation letter.  It takes grovelling to a new level.

I have just read it now also, that to me is a letter that someone has written for Barr to sign. He is complimenting Trump on matters that are not in his purview, and uses terms that to me are just not lawyerly, let alone the man in charge of the  Justice Department.

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Will be great viewing watching Spence announce Biden as the winner.

Maybe he’ll find an excuse not to turn up.

Coronavirus 😋

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Barack said:

Mitch McConnell finally admits & congratulates Biden & Harris on their win.

After Putin did.

Says a lot about McConnel.

Yesterday we saw GOP-nominated and self-styled "college electors" trying to gain entry to the actual Electoral College votes in several states and having to be stopped by State troopers.

Today we're seeing actual calls to arms from some of Trump's legal team.

The GOP may be slowly coming around to reality but their voters are not.

They're doubling down on the death threats and this is going to end up with extreme violence.

48 minutes ago, Cade said:

Yesterday we saw GOP-nominated and self-styled "college electors" trying to gain entry to the actual Electoral College votes in several states and having to be stopped by State troopers.

Today we're seeing actual calls to arms from some of Trump's legal team.

The GOP may be slowly coming around to reality but their voters are not.

They're doubling down on the death threats and this is going to end up with extreme violence.

Definitely gonna be loads of middle aged guys with beards spending time in cells.

2 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55326451

FFS, i never agreed with the snowflakes who bleated about cultural approbation until now.  Lets see these guys be brave enough to walk down Gorgie Road without guns spouting their right wing drivel.

I don't really understand why they've pulled that kilt. Surely it would have made more sense to push it as an iconic LGBTQ item - that alone would have messed with the bigots tiny minds. 

A Boy Named Crow
5 hours ago, Mysterion said:

I don't really understand why they've pulled that kilt. Surely it would have made more sense to push it as an iconic LGBTQ item - that alone would have messed with the bigots tiny minds. 

What would happen if Proud Boys merch became the thing to wear amongst the LGBTQI+ community? Would it rob the fascist nutjobs of their identity?

6 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

What would happen if Proud Boys merch became the thing to wear amongst the LGBTQI+ community? Would it rob the fascist nutjobs of their identity?

If identity is in part a uniform then yes - they are trying to use it as something to identify as a group instead of a desperate band of simpletons and **** wits, if they kept having to change it (because they didn't want to look like someone they hate) it would cost them money and they'd give up trying to assemble around the symbolism of a uniform. 

A Boy Named Crow
39 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

If identity is in part a uniform then yes - they are trying to use it as something to identify as a group instead of a desperate band of simpletons and **** wits, if they kept having to change it (because they didn't want to look like someone they hate) it would cost them money and they'd give up trying to assemble around the symbolism of a uniform. 

*deletes rambling rext*

I have no idea where I'm going with this,  just thought it'd get right up their noses...only chose LGBTQI+ because they were mentioned in the story. 

Six weeks after Election Day, Trump has spent more than half of his days with no public appearances, showing little interest in the daily work of being president. In all, there have been 20 days with no public events at all listed on Trump's schedule in the weeks since Election Day, and zero intelligence briefings. He's held 13 public appearances open to the press, conducted a single on-camera interview, and taken questions from reporters on only two occasions. By contrast, he has spent nine days on his golf course.

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Six weeks after Election Day, Trump has spent more than half of his days with no public appearances, showing little interest in the daily work of being president. In all, there have been 20 days with no public events at all listed on Trump's schedule in the weeks since Election Day, and zero intelligence briefings. He's held 13 public appearances open to the press, conducted a single on-camera interview, and taken questions from reporters on only two occasions. By contrast, he has spent nine days on his golf course.

Obviously putting the country first. 

4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Obviously putting the country first. 

He's never put anything or anybody before himself, and he ain't about to start now.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)