U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Fantastic. 

All that's left is the self pardon and then dragged out, hopefully by the heels. 😅

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Real Maroonblood
17 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

All that's left is the self pardon and then dragged out, hopefully by the heels. 😅

👍

20 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

That'll be smarting!!! I wonder whether he'll insist on a recount of the votes there as well?

He'll just take the front cover of Time Magazine, photoshop his own photo and text in there, and hang it around the place. ;)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/28/time-magazinetrump-fake-covers-golf-clubs

6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I think the following is a plausible outcome for the final act of sheer malignant stupidity.

It was suggested earlier that he is planning a rally where he will announce his run for election in 2024

It seems now that Bill Barr who has besmirched his own reputation in loyalty to Trump is now a target for Trumps practise of firing , his normal action to show his appreciation for their loyalty. In my life I have met and seen some despicable people, but Trump is I am sure the worst I have  ever evidenced.  He has no sense of truth, no idea of respect, no loyalty  , no thought for anyone other than himself, is a coward, for many reasons, lack of courage to face those he is firing, afraid to face the truth, afraid to ever admit he was wrong, and afraid to serve his Country when asked. He is the first person as far as I can remember in my life that has not one redeeming feature.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

The binge to carry out as many executions as possible in the transition is stomach turning.  ****ing hell.

Yes, it is quite disgusting.

First time in 130 years since there has been an execution during the transition period and if the woman is executed she'll be the first woman in 76 years to be executed in America. 

Just shows how nasty & evil Trump really is.

Two more "states" join the Texas case.

These states are, according to "their" lawyers, "New California" and "New Nevada"

They're just making up entire states now.

:rofl:

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Cade said:

Two more "states" join the Texas case.

These states are, according to "their" lawyers, "New California" and "New Nevada"

They're just making up entire states now.

:rofl:

It's like a soap opera. 

10 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Have you ever read the Freeman shite?  This is a lot like the Freeman shite.  Tinfoil hatters love that kind of crap.  :rofl:

I've just had a wee look at info about the Freeman movement on the web. Thanks but no thanks. ;)

11 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

The supreme court has given the Texas case a cursory glance and said 

:getout:

Everything is bigger in Texas. Including the embarrassment. 

Kalamazoo Jambo
23 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

The supreme court has given the Texas case a cursory glance and said 

:getout:

Never really in doubt, but still pleasing. The fact that more than half of the Republicans in the House of Representatives supported this nonsense is however disturbing for the future of American democracy.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-supreme-court-voter-fraud_n_5fd39185c5b66a7584147c7a?section=politics&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000016

If the Russians and Chinese had wanted to nudge the United States towards chaos and civil war, they couldn't have done a better job than the Republicans are now doing. I'm not sure how the country is going to pull itself back from this and towards some sort of civility and normality.

3 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Never really in doubt, but still pleasing. The fact that more than half of the Republicans in the House of Representatives supported this nonsense is however disturbing for the future of American democracy.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-supreme-court-voter-fraud_n_5fd39185c5b66a7584147c7a?section=politics&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000016

the complaint was riddled with falsehoods and unproven conspiracy theories of voter fraud that centered around a bogus statistical analysis that claimed there was only a “1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000” chance of Biden winning the four states

Wish I had a quid on Biden winning those 4 states. Though to be true I don't see William Hill offering those odds. 

21 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Wish I had a quid on Biden winning those 4 states. Though to be true I don't see William Hill offering those odds. 

Christ.

One penny, or a cent would be have done me fine.

21 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Christ.

One penny, or a cent would be have done me fine.

You're not very ambitious, a penny would only win you 10 trillion quid. A more interesting feature is how in the world they came up with such bizarre numbers.

You can only get around 5,000/1 for Hamilton to come from the bottom, stage a spectacular run while everyone else crashes, and win the SPL.

Yet somehow republicans have estimated the chances of Biden winning just 4 states at one thousand trillion to 1. A number over 142,000 times greater than all the people on the planet.

Kalamazoo Jambo
1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Republicans in “just making shit up again” shocker

31 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

They have been morphing into the party of crazy for decades. It would appear the transformation to full blown insanity has now been completed.

Even a Republican loaded supreme court can't bring itself to destroy it's own credibility by lending even a shred of acceptability to these insane claims.

What's even more disturbing is that to tens of millions of voters it doesn't seem to matter. Can you see any party in any other leading Western democracy being that crazy and still being electable?

I still don't know if these people who support them actually truly believe this bizarre nonsense or simply don't care. Either way it's deeply disturbing.

All of this utter shite should be deemed frivolous litigation and treated as such.

Frivolous litigation is the use of legal processes with apparent disregard for the merit of one's own arguments.

It includes presenting an argument with reason to know that it would certainly fail, or acting without a basic level of diligence in researching the relevant law and facts.

The fact that a claim is lost does not imply that it was frivolous.

Frivolous litigation may be based on absurd legal theories, may involve a superabundance or repetition of motions or additional suits, may be uncivil or harassing to the court, or may claim extreme remedies.

A claim or defense may be frivolous because it had no underlying justification in fact, or because it was not presented with an argument for a reasonable extension or reinterpretation of the law.

A claim may be deemed frivolous because existing laws unequivocally prohibit such a claim, such as a so-called Good Samaritan law.

In the United States, Rule 11 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and similar state rules require that an attorney perform a due diligence investigation concerning the factual basis for any claim or defense.

Jurisdictions differ on whether a claim or defense can be frivolous if the attorney acted in good faith.

Because such a defense or claim wastes the court's and the other parties' time, resources and legal fees, sanctions may be imposed by a court upon the party or the lawyer who presents the frivolous defense or claim. 

The law firm may also be sanctioned, or even held in contempt.

Attorney Daniel Evans writes: When a judge calls an argument "ridiculous" or "frivolous," it is absolutely the worst thing the judge could say.

It means that the person arguing the position has absolutely no idea of what he is doing, and has completely wasted everyone's time.

It doesn't mean that the case wasn't well argued, or that judge simply decided for the other side, it means that there was no other side.

The argument was absolutely, positively, incompetent.

The judge is not telling you that you were "wrong." The judge is telling you that you are out of your mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frivolous_litigation

The Real Maroonblood
16 minutes ago, Barack said:

How it started.

How it's going...

:greggy:

:gok:

Brilliant.

CNN is quality viewing with this going on.

4 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

If I was a journalist in the US, I think I would have broken by now.

'Kayleigh, you seriously don't believe the ***** that you talk, every moment of every day....'

'Ah, your boss and his base'

Edited by DETTY29

The latest I've seen is that a spanner can still be put in the works by either the House (most unlikely) or the Senate (who knows?) refusing in January to accept the electors from the 4 battleground states, referring the votes for these states back to their governors. Surely they wouldn't go this far?

John Gentleman
46 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The latest I've seen is that a spanner can still be put in the works by either the House (most unlikely) or the Senate (who knows?) refusing in January to accept the electors from the 4 battleground states, referring the votes for these states back to their governors. Surely they wouldn't go this far?

Is this what you're referring to?

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/12/congress-will-likely-vote-on-trumps-election-coup.html

4 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

Yes. It clashes slightly with what I read though. I didn't know, for example, that both chambers would have to disapprove for a state's elector votes to be thrown out. That's good because the House almost certainly won't.

John Gentleman
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Yes. It clashes slightly with what I read though. I didn't know, for example, that both chambers would have to disapprove for a state's elector votes to be thrown out. That's good because the House almost certainly won't.

They surely won't, you'd think. The real issue (issues?) here though are that none of these shenanagins carry real penalties for those involved. They just launch one vexatious action after another without apparent consequences. Just bizarre. 

11 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Texas GOP throwing their toys out of the pram and basically wanting to break up the Union (again)...

4987BF3D-44DB-4034-A8D5-4E274FEC3FF5.jpeg

Certainly a cause Trump could get behind.

A new independent grouping of states. 

What could it be called?

58 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

What could it be called?

Constitutionally United New Territorial States?

It is now the done thing to protest or demonstrate, and those are rights. Currently I have seen anti masking demonstrations, also anti vaccine, there was a recent protest at a State politicians house where Trump supporters some armed carried out their right to do so. State politicians are receiving death threats. Federal members of the Senate are supporting Trump by continuing with his allegations and confirming what are lies. Trump is doing everything and anything to disrupt good order and discipline.  He fails to attend a Christmas party at the White House which he is the host.     

It is not difficult to look at the individuals in these activities to see that some are violent not particularly interested in the cause , but see an opportunity to create havoc and participate in armed action. If Trump does not cease his present actions this will turn in to serious armed against authorities action, not as far as civil war, but extremely dangerous to the rule of law and those who seek to do civil duties in the interests of their fellow Americans. One also has to remember that there are political foreign pseudo friends who would or will take advantage of any such occurrences.

17 years without any Federal executions.

Many States are abolishing their own death penalty and Biden has pledged to abolish it for Federal crimes also.

So purely out of spite, Donald J Trump is executing as many people as he can before he's dragged out of the White House.

Unbelievable behaviour.

Edited by Cade

9 minutes ago, Cade said:

17 years without any Federal executions.

Many States are abolishing their own death penalty and Biden has pledged to abolish it for Federal crimes also.

So purely out of spite, Donald J Trump is executing as many people as he can before he's dragged out of the White House.

Unbelievable behaviour.

Hopefully they keep that option open in case Donald ends up the wrong side of a judge post Jan 20th.

4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

What could it be called?

Superior Home of American Republican Trumpists. 

Good sized demonstration by Trump supporters Trump got the Marine helicopter he was in to do a fly past for them. Giuliani  tells reporters that he got the required drugs for Covid when he was in hospital because they believe celebrities should be priority because people want to hear what he has to say. I have tried to listen to him in his celebrity mode and I couldn't listen to him as I was so incredulous that his hair dye was running down his face, and the next time he was sitting next to a young lady and letting loose volatile farts. In fact the fart sounds were making more sense than Rudy was making, funny because he talks out of his arse most of the time.

Edited by Sharpie

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)