U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

When did a trillion become billion, and a billion become some no mark 1000 million ? I take it this America's doing. 

Edited by ri Alban

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The stimulus bill has been argued back and forth for months while Trump showed little to no interest. The reasons being one as we all know he doesn't give the proverbial flying about the people suffering. And two he was entirely focused on attempting a coup.

The coup attempt failed so now for what I can only presume is sheer spite he has decided to nix this bill in any way he can. Just another facet of salting the earth behind him as he tries to leave as big a mess as possible for the incoming administration.

On a personal level i'm always happy to have free money thrown at me but I don't desperately need it. I'm not wealthy by any means but i'm not going to be hungry or cold and i'm not going to be homeless considering my home is bought and entirely paid for so have no mortgage/rent concerns.

All fine and well for me but there are tens of millions out there who are in dire straits and neither Trump nor the Republicans give a toss about them.

Top Democrat LOSES IT, destroys Trump in viral Christmas speech

11 hours ago, ri Alban said:

When did a trillion become billion, and a billion become some no mark 1000 million ? I take it this America's doing. 

The UK government has officially been using the American (effectively international) definition of billion since 1974 for the numbers it gives out. Get with the program, ri. ;)

4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

The stimulus bill has been argued back and forth for months while Trump showed little to no interest. The reasons being one as we all know he doesn't give the proverbial flying about the people suffering.
 ... there are tens of millions out there who are in dire straits and neither Trump nor the Republicans give a toss about them.

Trump paid his 309th visit to one of his golf courses yesterday.  His official calendar was booked solid with "meetings".

I spoke with some Michigan friends on Christmas Eve.  These are decent, hard-working Americans who have been friends for 30 years.  After the usual pleasantries, they got into politics.  COVID is a hoax and they refuse to follow any social distancing guidelines or wear masks, anybody who voted for Biden is a headcase, I need to watch out for George Soros, if the Dems win in Georgia it will be the end of the USA.  I got off the phone as quickly as I could.

Yesterday I phone my Michigan relatives.  They were on their way to a family dinner of 22 people.  I asked if it was wise to be part of such a large group, and their answer was that the virus risk is exaggerated.  Their only complaint was that they couldn't visit us in Ontario because the Canadians are keeping the border closed.  The border has been closed to non-essential travel since March and will remain closed for the foreseeable future.

These were conversations out of a Lewis Carroll novel.

8 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Trump paid his 309th visit to one of his golf courses yesterday.  His official calendar was booked solid with "meetings".

I spoke with some Michigan friends on Christmas Eve.  These are decent, hard-working Americans who have been friends for 30 years.  After the usual pleasantries, they got into politics.  COVID is a hoax and they refuse to follow any social distancing guidelines or wear masks, anybody who voted for Biden is a headcase, I need to watch out for George Soros, if the Dems win in Georgia it will be the end of the USA.  I got off the phone as quickly as I could.

Yesterday I phone my Michigan relatives.  They were on their way to a family dinner of 22 people.  I asked if it was wise to be part of such a large group, and their answer was that the virus risk is exaggerated.  Their only complaint was that they couldn't visit us in Ontario because the Canadians are keeping the border closed.  The border has been closed to non-essential travel since March and will remain closed for the foreseeable future.

Wow. Are folk not even cottoning on now as to the threat of the virus? That is some crazy level of delusion, ML.

Edited by redjambo

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

They’re headcases.

During the initial lockdown there was a family in the USA who had a large gathering and about 4 or 5 

of them died.

I’m obviously not suggesting that will happen but it can.

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

The UK government has officially been using the American (effectively international) definition of billion since 1974 for the numbers it gives out. Get with the program, ri. ;)

I know, just think it's time to retake some sense. Red. :)

Wow. Are folk not even cottoning on now as to the threat of the virus? That is some crazy level of delusion, ML.

Indeed.  And I can't stress enough that these people aren't wild-eyed crazies.  They're normal hard-working, middle class families who just want to succeed in life and provide a good life for their kids. Being in their company is always a pleasure.

But they are all Republicans, and I'm assuming that they're taking their cue from the Republican president and the leadership of the Republican party.

5 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Indeed.  And I can't stress enough that these people aren't wild-eyed crazies.  They're normal hard-working, middle class families who just want to succeed in life and provide a good life for their kids. Being in their company is always a pleasure.

But they are all Republicans, and I'm assuming that they're taking their cue from the Republican president and the leadership of the Republican party.

Isn't that how it all started it Germany?

18 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I can't stress enough that these people aren't wild-eyed crazies.

This I find baffling. How can anyone be of at least average intelligence and sane yet believe the infantile fabrications of Trump?

If they're not stupid to the point of being mentally deficient and not insane what are they? Simply liars claiming they believe the unbelievable?

23 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Incredible.

Just saw his latest Tweet on CNN, he is blasting most of GOP including MacConnel. He has definitely gone all the way into what would if diagnosed by  professional be   described as emotional insanity, he has become almost but for me not there yet more a potential subject of pity rather than scorn.  In a very short time he will be out of the office that has protected him, he will be subjected to criminal matters, financial disclosures, and malfeasance of all descriptions. His devoted family will abandon him in their own self interest, and at least one will give damaging evidence to avoid their own prosecution. His wife will stay married to him to use the cannot give evidence against her husband  clause, but will at some point write a multi million dollar book after she has divorced him while he is serving his sentence, that will be her source of income because as well as being in jail, he will be penniless. If it was a movie it would be described as a tragedy, but in life it could be described as a pathetic man seeking fame,fortune and praise, but having been endowed because possibly of a domineering father tried to achieve these characteristics and failed totally, showing himself as an incompetent business man who accumulated tremendous debt, who lied to all, but most tragically to himself about his abilities. A modern Shakespearean tragedy, but not theatre, actual reality.

A Boy Named Crow
49 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Just saw his latest Tweet on CNN, he is blasting most of GOP including MacConnel. He has definitely gone all the way into what would if diagnosed by  professional be   described as emotional insanity, he has become almost but for me not there yet more a potential subject of pity rather than scorn.  In a very short time he will be out of the office that has protected him, he will be subjected to criminal matters, financial disclosures, and malfeasance of all descriptions. His devoted family will abandon him in their own self interest, and at least one will give damaging evidence to avoid their own prosecution. His wife will stay married to him to use the cannot give evidence against her husband  clause, but will at some point write a multi million dollar book after she has divorced him while he is serving his sentence, that will be her source of income because as well as being in jail, he will be penniless. If it was a movie it would be described as a tragedy, but in life it could be described as a pathetic man seeking fame,fortune and praise, but having been endowed because possibly of a domineering father tried to achieve these characteristics and failed totally, showing himself as an incompetent business man who accumulated tremendous debt, who lied to all, but most tragically to himself about his abilities. A modern Shakespearean tragedy, but not theatre, actual reality.

Hey Bob, have you ever thought of taking a stab at writing movie trailers? I'd definitely pay to see this ^^^ 😁

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

6 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Hey Bob, have you ever thought of taking a stab at writing movie trailers? I'd definitely pay to see this ^^^ 😁

When you are too old to do anything else, your imagination is your main strength, thats m, I live in a fantasy world.:teu35:

A Boy Named Crow
2 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

When you are too old to do anything else, your imagination is your main strength, thats m, I live in a fantasy world.:teu35:

I wasn't disputing your take on events,  just appreciating the way it was written.  👍

Santa Donald blocks covid relief bill as he wants to be seen as the great benefactor, upping the one-off payment from $600 to $2,000.

Him having blocked the bill means that millions of Americans have had their benefits cut off as they expired under the terms of the previous relief bill.

Bit of a wee backfire there Donaldo.

2 hours ago, Cade said:

Santa Donald blocks covid relief bill as he wants to be seen as the great benefactor, upping the one-off payment from $600 to $2,000.

Him having blocked the bill means that millions of Americans have had their benefits cut off as they expired under the terms of the previous relief bill.

Bit of a wee backfire there Donaldo.

He also didn't pass the defence bill that would have given the squaddies a pay raise. He still thinks despite that they will act to man election sites so a reelection can appoint him again. The man is mentally impaired

54 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

He also didn't pass the defence bill that would have given the squaddies a pay raise. He still thinks despite that they will act to man election sites so a reelection can appoint him again. The man is mentally impaired

It is going to be fascinating watching him when he finally does get dragged out the Oval Office.

Hopefully his entire Trump 'empire' starts to collapse as those who propped him up because of all that power he once had discard him. Along with fierce family fighting though they'll probably end up becoming a reality TV show for the cash like that Kardashian's nonsense.

29 minutes ago, kila said:

It is going to be fascinating watching him when he finally does get dragged out the Oval Office.

Hopefully his entire Trump 'empire' starts to collapse as those who propped him up because of all that power he once had discard him. Along with fierce family fighting though they'll probably end up becoming a reality TV show for the cash like that Kardashian's nonsense.

Or he'll form some kind of insane government in exile and encourage civil disobedience such as paying HIM their taxes instead of the actual government.
And the obvious domestic terrorism that'll follow him around.

It'll probably end up like Waco.

*on which note a 63 year old 5G conspiracist has been arrested in connection with the truck bomb.

Edited by Cade

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Well put 👍🏽

3 hours ago, Sharpie said:

He knows exactly what he is doing. He is attempting to sow chaos, partially as revenge against the GOP.

He knows exactly what he is doing. He is attempting to sow chaos, partially as revenge against the GOP.

Theres no question he knows what he is doing, but does he truly recognise the  seriousness, and verging criminality of what he is doing. Its all very well through spite to act against your former support but his actions not only affect them, it affects the very people such as the military that he has constantly threatened to use against the American people. Election sites, protests. He is aware of what he is doing because his damaged mind tells him it is the right and legal thing to do because he is the chosen one ( in his mind). Its the same thing as some murderers who say  they only killed their victims to save them from something,  its definitely a sign of a dangerous mental process, and there may be some fear in there of loss of what he believes he had achieved. He may be even getting even some discreet suggestions especially from persons close to or working for the likes of Putin. There is something more serious with his mind than straight revenge and it is extremely dangerous.

Dec. 26, 2020 at 3:51 p.m. CST

Until Biden’s win is certified, the U.S. remains vulnerable

Not to be alarmist, but we should recognize that the United States will be in the danger zone until the formal certification of Joe Biden’s election victory on Jan. 6, because potential domestic and foreign turmoil could give Trump an excuse to cling to power.

This threat, while unlikely to materialize, is concerning senior officials, including Republicans who have supported Trump in the past but believe he is now threatening to overstep the constitutional limits on his power. They described a multifaceted campaign by die-hard Trump supporters to use disruptions at home and perhaps threats abroad to advance his interests.

The big showdown is the Jan. 6 gathering of both houses of Congress to formally count the electoral college vote taken on Dec. 14, which Biden won 306 to 232. The certification should be a pro forma event, but a desperate Trump is demanding that House and Senate Republicans challenge the count and block this final, binding affirmation of Biden’s victory before Inauguration Day.

Trump’s last-ditch campaign will almost certainly fail in Congress. The greater danger is on the streets, where pro-Trump forces are already threatening chaos. A pro-Trump group called “Women for America First” has requested a permit for a Jan. 6 rally in Washington, and Trump is already beating the drum: “Big protest in D.C. on January 6th. Be there, will be wild!”

Government officials fear that if violence spreads, Trump could invoke the Insurrection Act to mobilize the military. Then Trump might use “military capabilities” to rerun the Nov. 3 election in swing states, as suggested by Michael Flynn, Trump’s former national security adviser. Trump “could take military capabilities and he could place them in those states and basically rerun an election,” Flynn told Newsmax in a Dec. 17 interview.

The Pentagon would be the locus of any such action, and some unusual recent moves suggest pro-Trump officials might be mobilizing to secure levers of power. Kash Patel, chief of staff to acting defense secretary Christopher C. Miller, returned home “abruptly” from an Asia trip in early December, according to Fox News correspondent Jennifer Griffin. Patel didn’t explain, but in mid-December Trump discussed with colleagues the possibility that Patel might replace Christopher A. Wray as FBI director, one official said. Wray remains in his job.

Another strange Pentagon machination was the proposal Miller floated in mid-December to separate the code-breaking National Security Agency from U.S. Cyber Command, which are both currently headed by Gen. Paul Nakasone. That proposal collapsed because of bipartisan congressional opposition.

But why did Trump loyalists suggest the NSA-Cyber Command split in the first place? Some officials speculate that the White House may have planned to install a new NSA chief, perhaps Ezra Cohen-Watnick, the young conservative recently installed to oversee Pentagon intelligence activities.

With firm control of the NSA and the FBI, the Trump team might then disclose highly sensitive information about the origins of the 2016 Trump Russia investigation. Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe tried to release this sensitive intelligence before the election, despite protests from intelligence chiefs that it would severely damage U.S. national security. Trump retreated under pressure from then-Attorney General William P. Barr, among others.

Trump’s final weeks in office will also be a tinder box because of the danger of turmoil abroad. Iranian-backed militias fired more than 20 rockets last Sunday at the U.S. Embassy compound in Baghdad, with around nine hitting the compound but inflicting no American casualties. The United States sent intense, high-level messages to Tehran, public and private, warning against any further provocation. The toughest was a Dec. 23 tweet from Trump warning: “If one American is killed, I will hold Iran responsible. Think it over.” State Department and Pentagon officials say Trump’s retaliatory threat is real.

Another potential flash point is just a week away. Jan. 3 marks the first anniversary of the U.S. targeted killing of Quds Force commander Maj. Gen. Qasem Soleimani and Iraq militia leader Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis. Any new violence could ignite a quick cycle of escalation that could bring direct conflict between the United States and Iran during Trump’s final weeks in office.

The heroes in preserving the United States’ hopes of a stable democratic transition, perhaps ironically, have been some courageous, principled Republicans: judges in state and federal courts, including Supreme Court justices nominated by Trump; secretaries of state and other election monitors; a disappointingly small handful of GOP senators and members of Congress, and even a few members of Trump’s inner circle like White House Counsel Pat Cipollone, who is said to have resisted some of Trump’s disruptive plans. They have all stood up in different ways for the rule of law.

Trump won’t succeed in subverting the Constitution, but he can do enormous damage over the next weeks. Before Jan. 6, a delegation of senior Republicans should visit him at the White House and insist, emphatically: Biden has won. This must stop.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/12/26/until-bidens-win-is-certified-us-remains-vulnerable/

Seymour M Hersh

I see Celtic's VP got her vaccine jab the other day. That'll be the one she was dissing and suggesting people avoid during the campaign then is it? 

John Gentleman
6 hours ago, Justin Z said:

6 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

What a clown.

Openingly defying his Senate leader McConnell, it would seem. He'll still need someone from the House to also contest to force Congress into a pantomime convention. When they fail to agree to an outcome (certainty), it's down to the House where the Dems have the numbers. 

This really is the theatre of the absurd playing out it's final act here.

John Gentleman
5 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I see Celtic's VP got her vaccine jab the other day. That'll be the one she was dissing and suggesting people avoid during the campaign then is it? 

Must've missed that. Got a link?

8 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

Openingly defying his Senate leader McConnell, it would seem. He'll still need someone from the House to also contest to force Congress into a pantomime convention. When they fail to agree to an outcome (certainty), it's down to the House where the Dems have the numbers. 

This really is the theatre of the absurd playing out it's final act here.

Sounds like there are another 4 or 5 willing to do it too.

Politicians making a play to win the backing of Trump supporters for their next election.

GOP infighting has started already.   So they now need to pick a side between Trump and the Republican party.

:glorious:

Seymour M Hersh
9 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

Must've missed that. Got a link?

Google will help you out. I think she was yapping about it during a VP debate. 

John Gentleman
9 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Google will help you out. I think she was yapping about it during a VP debate. 

She said, in the wake of Trump's outrageous remarks, that she wouldn't take anything recommended by him. She would, though, accept the recommendation of Dr Fauci.

Her 'policy' on vaccination is here:

https://www.isidewith.com/candidates/kamala-harris/policies/science/mandatory-vaccinations

Seymour M Hersh
4 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

She said, in the wake of Trump's outrageous remarks, that she wouldn't take anything recommended by him. She would, though, accept the recommendation of Dr Fauci.

Her 'policy' on vaccination is here:

https://www.isidewith.com/candidates/kamala-harris/policies/science/mandatory-vaccinations

From the Washington Examinar

CNN’s Dana Bash asked whether Harris would trust a vaccine released by the end of the year, or sooner, and the candidate responded, “I think that we have learned since this pandemic started, but really before that, that there's very little that we can trust that comes out of Donald Trump's mouth.”

Asked if she trusted that health experts would be able to get the “the last word” on the vaccine, Harris answered in the negative.

“If past is prologue, that they will not, that will be muzzled, they will be suppressed, they will be sidelined because he's looking at an election coming up in less than 60 days, and he's grasping for whatever he can get to pretend that he has been a leader on this issue, when he has not,” Harris said.

Eventually, Bash asked point-blank, “So, let's just say there is a vaccine that is approved and even distributed before the election. Would you get it?”

Harris was equivocal.

“Well, I think that's going to be an issue for all of us,” she said. “I will say that I would not trust Donald Trump. And it would have to be a credible source of information that talks about the efficacy and the reliability of whatever he's talking about. I will not take his word for it.”

20 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

So did Marco Rubio and Pence, others have received the vaccine all because of their position in Government I assume deemed as a necessary occupation. Biden received his shot, and Trump probably would also but he delayed because of the previous medications received when he was diagnosed with Covid.

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, Sharpie said:

So did Marco Rubio and Pence, others have received the vaccine all because of their position in Government I assume deemed as a necessary occupation. Biden received his shot, and Trump probably would also but he delayed because of the previous medications received when he was diagnosed with Covid.

I assume you're correct but did Pence and Rubio rubbish the vaccine during the campaign? 

7 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I assume you're correct but did Pence and Rubio rubbish the vaccine during the campaign? 

I would n't have the information to affirm or deny that, what I can say is that here there were a number of doubters about the vaccine safety, but as the pandemic got worse their opinion was not enough to forego the vaccine and risk the virus. There is no doubt a a result of Covid politicians on both sides have made statements that to the outsider looking in are stupid and contradictory.

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, Sharpie said:

I would n't have the information to affirm or deny that, what I can say is that here there were a number of doubters about the vaccine safety, but as the pandemic got worse their opinion was not enough to forego the vaccine and risk the virus. There is no doubt a a result of Covid politicians on both sides have made statements that to the outsider looking in are stupid and contradictory.

Sharpie I was only calling out Harris's hypocrisy. 

Just now, Seymour M Hersh said:

Sharpie I was only calling out Harris's hypocrisy. 

And you were quite correct, and I wasn't taking exception to your comments just trying to show the attitudes of both sides. There is quite a lot of comment here about how quick many of the persons who were critical of the vaccine were at the head of the queue to get it. For many it was a case of  here is something we can get Trump on because he is rushing the vaccine for political purpose to the detriment of safety.

Seymour M Hersh
30 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

And you were quite correct, and I wasn't taking exception to your comments just trying to show the attitudes of both sides. There is quite a lot of comment here about how quick many of the persons who were critical of the vaccine were at the head of the queue to get it. For many it was a case of  here is something we can get Trump on because he is rushing the vaccine for political purpose to the detriment of safety.

Those at the top are always going to make sure they're first in line when required. It's what they do Sharpie. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)