U.S. Politics megathread (merged)

trex

1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

If he's still on the White House premises at the crack of noon on 20th January, he becomes a trespasser and he'll have to be forcibly removed. Like you, I wouldn't rule that out!

The Electoral College meets next Monday to cast their votes and confirm the final result. Even then it won't  get through to his thick head that he's lost. 

I agree with what you say I just feel somewhere in his scrambled mind he knows the election and as a result his time of President is finished.  In his twisted psychologically twisted mind he tells lies to his support, and h is so adamant in his lies he actually starts to believe them and in this case he is totally absorbed with the opinion that he has been cheated. The man is a liar, but the dangerous thing as I see it he has lied so perfectly to himself that he will el that he is justified in using whatever mean he finds necessary to make it all happen an be right again. The other danger is that only twenty nine of the elected  Republicans in office concede that he has lost, and the reason for the others not to is suggested that they far Trump or at least his base. This will not end without a shot being fired.

• Replies 32.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Maple Leaf

• Justin Z

• Watt-Zeefuik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Mysterion said:

another day another court case chucked.

Trump: RELEASE THE KRAKEN! 
Advisor: *whispers*
Trump: What?

Advisor: *whispers louder* It was dropped. 
Trump: They’re stealing the election. We’ve won bigly. The media are in on it. The judges are in on it. Fake news. 4 more years. MAGA. 

1 hour ago, gjcc said:

Trump: RELEASE THE KRAKEN! 
Advisor: *whispers*
Trump: What?

Advisor: *whispers louder* It was dropped. 
Trump: They’re stealing the election. We’ve won bigly. The media are in on it. The judges are in on it. Fake news. 4 more years. MAGA. 

THEN RELEASE THE KAREN!

melissa-carone-rudy-giuliani.png

3 hours ago, Ulysses said:

According to the Supreme Court a pardon can be granted any time after commission of the crime, which means a pardon could not be used to give someone immunity from prosecution for future offences.  In Nixon's case, the pardon granted by Ford was for any federal crimes that he may have committed while he was President (I can't recall the exact wording).

So he can't pardon anyone for pre criminal prosecution? Like his son or whomever. 

The Real Maroonblood
10 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

If he's still on the White House premises at the crack of noon on 20th January, he becomes a trespasser and he'll have to be forcibly removed. Like you, I wouldn't rule that out!

The Electoral College meets next Monday to cast their votes and confirm the final result. Even then it won't  get through to his thick head that he's lost. 

I agree particularly being forcibly removed  as it would stir up the head cases.

Attorney General of Texas sues Michigan, Georgia, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin at the Supreme Court

:rofl:

Edited by Cade

CavySlaveJambo
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Attorney General of Texas sues Michigan, Georgia, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin at the Supreme Court

Getting desperate now then.  

A Boy Named Crow

Trump keeping it classy.  People are saying he's the classiest one term, twice beten by the popular vote president ever. There's never been a classier president than him...

NEWS.com.au: Donald Trump reportedly planning to spoil Joe Biden’s inauguration by holding rally to announce 2024 run.
https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/us-politics/donald-trump-reportedly-planning-to-spoil-joe-bidens-inauguration-by-holding-rally-to-announce-2024-run/news-story/daa25bcc55c1253b2ff599a0abea4940

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Better than any soap opera. As the Veep producer said, they had to stop because the reality had become less believable than the TV fiction.

Rather ironically, Armando Iannauci (the creator of VEEP), said the same when he called time on The Thick Of It. British politics had actually become such a parody of itself that there wasn't anyway to have any satirical fun with it. 

5 hours ago, Cade said:

WTF does Texas have to do with it?

4 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Basically seem to be claiming that different rules around voting and eligibility in those states undermines their own constiutional rights.
I think though it is enshrined that each state has responsibility for the vote in their own state. Just seems a crock of shit basically

1 hour ago, RobboM said:

Basically seem to be claiming that different rules around voting and eligibility in those states undermines their own constiutional rights.
I think though it is enshrined that each state has responsibility for the vote in their own state. Just seems a crock of shit basically

I always thought that in simplistic terms, the USA was pretty much made up of the equivalent of 50 different countries bound by an overarching constitution.

So what Texas are arguing conversely means their approach, also breaches other states own constitutional rights, which can't work,  so goes back to wherever federal and state legislation lies.

3 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

I think the Legislature for each State has the authority and right to run elections. The Suit claims that the relevant States had non Legislators or Government appointees organise parts of the election, this is apparently against the Constitution.  May not be an answer of perfection, but it is the gist of the claim. State Legislation acted improperly.

21 hours ago, ri Alban said:

So he can't pardon anyone for pre criminal prosecution? Like his son or whomever. 

The President can pardon someone ahead of an investigation or prosecution, but the crime (or implied crime) has to be in the past.

4 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Fortunately, this soap opera has only about 43 days to run.  Then all loser Trump's pathetic whining will be nothing but tears and snotters from the sidelines.

5 hours ago, RobboM said:

It is a crock of shit. If they didn't like it, why not challenge it before 2020. 

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

The President can pardon someone ahead of an investigation or prosecution, but the crime (or implied crime) has to be in the past.

Can said pardoned person be tried for any future crimes. State or Federal. And do they become immune from extradition to another country for trial? 

Just a bit confused on the technicalities, Uly. :F

On 08/12/2020 at 01:30, Sharpie said:

I agree with what you say I just feel somewhere in his scrambled mind he knows the election and as a result his time of President is finished.  In his twisted psychologically twisted mind he tells lies to his support, and h is so adamant in his lies he actually starts to believe them and in this case he is totally absorbed with the opinion that he has been cheated. The man is a liar, but the dangerous thing as I see it he has lied so perfectly to himself that he will el that he is justified in using whatever mean he finds necessary to make it all happen an be right again. The other danger is that only twenty nine of the elected  Republicans in office concede that he has lost, and the reason for the others not to is suggested that they far Trump or at least his base. This will not end without a shot being fired.

He knows that his behaviour will fire up the heidbangers and people will either be hurt or die. He's so pig headedly selfish that they're all expendable to him. He cares nothing for anyone or anything except for himself and his meathead base are to blind to see it.

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, and West Virginia all join the Texas case.  

Basically every Red State is jointly suing to overturn the 4 swing states.

Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo.

13 minutes ago, Cade said:

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, and West Virginia all join the Texas case.  

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-usa-election-trump-idUKKBN28J1XG

And three of those states have Democrat governors?

19 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Can said pardoned person be tried for any future crimes. State or Federal. And do they become immune from extradition to another country for trial?

Yes to the first question.

The second is more tricky.  I'd say it completely depends on the nature of the crime, the specifics of the pardon, and the extradition treaty in force (the U.S. has treaties with about 100 countries).

4 hours ago, Cade said:

Republican Attorney Generals.

They are all invited to the White House tomorrow, for a luncheon and talks.

4 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Yes to the first question.

The second is more tricky.  I'd say it completely depends on the nature of the crime, the specifics of the pardon, and the extradition treaty in force (the U.S. has treaties with about 100 countries).

Thanks Uly. 👍

8 hours ago, Cade said:

It's beyond belief, these GOP ****ers are knowingly and blatantly trying to steal an election. They don't have the excuse of being thick rednecks or of being manipulated by echo chamber lies, they know Trump lost but they're trying to steal it anyway. 

Human beings will get hurt to try and save this prick's face, it's ridiculous.

Absolute ****ing scum

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

It's beyond belief, these GOP ****ers are knowingly and blatantly trying to steal an election.

. . .

The Arizona GOP asks supporters if they're willing to die to overturn Trump's election loss

What do you even say to this?

5 hours ago, Smithee said:

It's beyond belief, these GOP ****ers are knowingly and blatantly trying to steal an election. They don't have the excuse of being thick rednecks or of being manipulated by echo chamber lies, they know Trump lost but they're trying to steal it anyway. 

Absolute ****ing scum

Over the last two days, whilst these cants are busy trying to organise the real election steal, 2,981 Americans died from covid on Tuesday and another 3,260 died yesterday, that's over 6,000 Americans dead in just two days from a virus many of these feckers don't even think is real.

America is utterly and completely fecked.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Over the last two days, whilst these cants are busy trying to organise the real election steal, 2,981 Americans died from covid on Tuesday and another 3,260 died yesterday, that's over 6,000 Americans dead in just two days from a virus many of these feckers don't even think is real.

America is utterly and completely fecked.

At this stage, there is no other conclusion to be reached.

Governor Tarkin
4 hours ago, Justin Z said:

What do you even say to this?

Fetch me my shooting iron then get inside, Maw. There's a storm a comin.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-africa-47639452?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5fd24f2f5afdc802c37f8780%26Trump%3A Morocco to normalise relations with Israel%262020-12-10T16%3A50%3A53.865Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:b1dd1863-1b21-4d3a-a8e8-b451c55cf098&pinned_post_asset_id=5fd24f2f5afdc802c37f8780&pinned_post_type=share

So, Trump has recognised Moroccan sovereignty in Western Sahara, completely against the view of the African Union.  This on top of pulling troops from Somalia this week.  Given all the unrest, civil wars, and possible wars over dams in North and East Africa, how on earth can America continue with a process that lets a lame duck president further destabilise the area?

There's a strong suspicion Trump will simply walk away and never return to the WH in the next couple of weeks or so. Somewhat like a parent abandoning a sick child at the peak of his/her illness.

Though in this case it's the best thing for this sick nation that the derelict, mentally disturbed parent be taken out of the equation and care of the child. To be handed over to social services so to speak before being adopted on January 20th.

Even when removed from the home though this parent will continue to hinder the entire family dynamic. The ludicrous claims of rigged elections will continue which will create an open wound resistant to healing.

Something has to be done to stop this freak show if the nation is ever to recover from his malevolent activities. In many respects I go along with the idea that jailing a former president is distasteful. Smacks of tinpot dictatorships which routinely completely decapitate previous incumbents.

But in this case I see no alternative. What else can you do with an actual wannabe tinpot dictator who will never stop his disruptive insanity from the sidelines. There must be something and in fact countless things they can investigate and nail him on.

Take him out of the equation entirely while fully exposing his corrupt rancorous mindset and activities.  

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

There's a strong suspicion Trump will simply walk away and never return to the WH in the next couple of weeks or so. Somewhat like a parent abandoning a sick child at the peak of his/her illness.

Though in this case it's the best thing for this sick nation that the derelict, mentally disturbed parent be taken out of the equation and care of the child. To be handed over to social services so to speak before being adopted on January 20th.

Even when removed from the home though this parent will continue to hinder the entire family dynamic. The ludicrous claims of rigged elections will continue which will create an open wound resistant to healing.

Something has to be done to stop this freak show if the nation is ever to recover from his malevolent activities. In many respects I go along with the idea that jailing a former president is distasteful. Smacks of tinpot dictatorships which routinely completely decapitate previous incumbents.

But in this case I see no alternative. What else can you do with an actual wannabe tinpot dictator who will never stop his disruptive insanity from the sidelines. There must be something and in fact countless things they can investigate and nail him on.

Take him out of the equation entirely while fully exposing his corrupt rancorous mindset and activities.  

:jjyay:

David Packman after Trump's Georgia rally and Trump's Biden and the Communists element of the speech.

'Name one Biden Communist policy'

'Does Trump or his acolytes even know what the word Communism means'

C'mon David, there isn't a word Trump neither doesn't know nor understands.

I’m running out of words to describe Trump and what he’s done but his rushing through of these executions is utterly deplorable.

I hope Trump suffers a lot for what he’s done over the last 4 years and I hope that especially tonight Brandon Bernard suffers as little as possible. 

edited after posting with red mist ... apologies for offence caused 

Edited by King prawn

2 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-africa-47639452?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5fd24f2f5afdc802c37f8780%26Trump%3A Morocco to normalise relations with Israel%262020-12-10T16%3A50%3A53.865Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:b1dd1863-1b21-4d3a-a8e8-b451c55cf098&pinned_post_asset_id=5fd24f2f5afdc802c37f8780&pinned_post_type=share

So, Trump has recognised Moroccan sovereignty in Western Sahara, completely against the view of the African Union.  This on top of pulling troops from Somalia this week.  Given all the unrest, civil wars, and possible wars over dams in North and East Africa, how on earth can America continue with a process that lets a lame duck president further destabilise the area?

He's rushing to do P̶u̶t̶i̶n̶'̶s̶ God's work while he still has the power.

Expect some petulant, loser tweets from Trump tonight after 10PM.  

That's when Time magazine will announce their Person of the Year for 2020.  It's recognition that Trump has long coveted and he ain't gonna win it this year either.  Maybe Biden will win, maybe BLM, maybe Fauci; either way, it will drive the Fat Man nuts.

The losses just keep piling up for the man who thinks he shouldn't lose. :rudi:

4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Pull the 25th and bin him? Of course that would need the support of Republican sycophants who, even when they had the chance to start distancing themselves from him after the defeat, inexplicably doubled down. So no, I don't think anything can be done, unless he tries something truly batshit - launching nukes or declaring war for example. 

On 20/01/2017 at 06:14, Sharpie said:

I have followed the Trumpanator since the primaries.

As someone who does not live in the States, and is a regular viewer of CNN, I feel as I have been well advised on this thread totally non qualified to comment, but I will anyway.

Alec Baldwin is more Presidential in his skits on SNL than Trump ever has or ever will be.

Trumps portrayals of Mussolini were amateur, at the best, but in reality he could end up like old Benito having a relationship with a lamp post.

I doubt he will be assasssinated, security will be too strong, it is too highly anticipated that attempts will be made.

I suspect there is a higher possibility he will be impeached at some stage.

I have stated my view from the beginning, it was the worst offering of choices for President in my lifetime, concluding with the absolute for us all worst choice.

I have lived through WW2, Palestine, Korea, Suez Crisis, and the Cuban missile threat, and many other wars, but what we could end up with now doesn't really affect me I am way too old, but I do worry for all of you, and particularly my own young family.

My opinion in 2017, page 1 of the thread, still think all the same things,

On 05/11/2020 at 23:33, Maple Leaf said:

All the tension over votes is wasted energy.  It doesn't matter.

Trump won't leave.  Repeat as often as necessary.  Trump won't leave.

If he loses in the election, he'll take the matter to all the courts he's stacked with Trump-friendly judges.  If he loses that round, he'll go to the Trump-friendly SCOTUS.

If he loses that, he'll get Republican governors to mess around with Electoral College votes.

One way or another, he'll stay in power.  Il duce won't leave. 

Accept the inevitable.

This is a post of mine from about 5 weeks ago.  It wasn't too far off the mark.

All that remains to be seen is what he does if SCOTUS won't hear his case, or rules against him on it.

He has certainly made a spectacle of himself since the election.

8 hours ago, trotter said:

Pull the 25th and bin him? Of course that would need the support of Republican sycophants who, even when they had the chance to start distancing themselves from him after the defeat, inexplicably doubled down. So no, I don't think anything can be done, unless he tries something truly batshit - launching nukes or declaring war for example. 

What they're suspecting is that he might go to Florida for Xmas and simply never return to the WH.

Where President Donald Trump decides to spend the final weeks of his presidency has become a matter of internal speculation as aides wonder whether he'll leave the White House for the holidays -- and never return.

FULL ARTICLE

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

This is a post of mine from about 5 weeks ago.  It wasn't too far off the mark.

All that remains to be seen is what he does if SCOTUS won't hear his case, or rules against him on it.

He has certainly made a spectacle of himself since the election.

Trump will have a fake illness not that he needs one as he’s a crackpot anyway.

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

he’s a crackpot anyway.

In the weeks since the election if anything he's actually stepped up the crazy to new levels but still it makes no difference to this segment who number in the tens of millions supporting the wacko.

And that's where the real dystopian nature of this entire Trump episode lies bare for all to see. We all of us, or at least most or many of us knew at least a couple of things right from the outset when he was a candidate no one thought could win.

We knew he was remarkably unintelligent but the world is littered with the remarkably unintelligent. Most of them are not willfully malevolent. Trump is.

We also knew that to top off his remarkable lack of even average intelligence levels that he was a raving nutcase lacking in basic human traits like empathy. The ability to mentally place oneself in the situation of another and feel their pain/anguish. He's patently incapable of that common human trait.

It's a feature seen in psychopaths though psychiatrists have en masse not labelled him as psychopathic but rather a sociopathic malignant narcissist.

All these things we knew yet tens of millions decided to elect him and even after the last 4 years of utter chaos often almost pantomime like in it's absurdity they tried to do so again.

That to me is beyond bizarre and more than troubling to contemplate. I can envisage no other leading Western nation doing such a thing once far less almost twice but this country has. A country essential to Western security and the wider international order.

I say again, more than troubling. This population could do this again and as I have mentioned in a previous post the next psychopath they elect could very well be a lot smarter than Trump which wouldn't be difficult would it. And that would make him infinitely more dangerous than Trump.

To my mind the US is now an untrustworthy nation which the international community may likely never be able to regain full confidence in. Not when they know as I know that this could happen again while producing an even more dangerous version than Trump.

Someone smart enough to actually execute a dictatorship. Something Trump would have loved to do but was never anywhere near intelligent enough to accomplish it. It would probably take at least two terms and he didn't have the smarts to pull that off.

The US may never regain it's previous status as a trustworthy long term rational actor.

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

In the weeks since the election if anything he's actually stepped up the crazy to new levels but still it makes no difference to this segment who number in the tens of millions supporting the wacko.

And that's where the real dystopian nature of this entire Trump episode lies bare for all to see. We all of us, or at least most or many of us knew at least a couple of things right from the outset when he was a candidate no one thought could win.

We knew he was remarkably unintelligent but the world is littered with the remarkably unintelligent. Most of them are not willfully malevolent. Trump is.

We also knew that to top off his remarkable lack of even average intelligence levels that he was a raving nutcase lacking in basic human traits like empathy. The ability to mentally place oneself in the situation of another and feel their pain/anguish. He's patently incapable of that common human trait.

It's a feature seen in psychopaths though psychiatrists have en masse not labelled him as psychopathic but rather a sociopathic malignant narcissist.

All these things we knew yet tens of millions decided to elect him and even after the last 4 years of utter chaos often almost pantomime like in it's absurdity they tried to do so again.

That to me is beyond bizarre and more than troubling to contemplate. I can envisage no other leading Western nation doing such a thing once far less almost twice but this country has. A country essential to Western security and the wider international order.

I say again, more than troubling. This population could do this again and as I have mentioned in a previous post the next psychopath they elect could very well be a lot smarter than Trump which wouldn't be difficult would it. And that would make him infinitely more dangerous than Trump.

To my mind the US is now an untrustworthy nation which the international community may likely never be able to regain full confidence in. Not when they know as I know that this could happen again while producing an even more dangerous version than Trump.

Someone smart enough to actually execute a dictatorship. Something Trump would have loved to do but was never anywhere near intelligent enough to accomplish it. It would probably take at least two terms and he didn't have the smarts to pull that off.

The US may never regain it's previous status as a trustworthy long term rational actor.

:greatpost:

I like how Drumpf threw a tantrum about Hunter Biden tax investigation not coming out before Nov 3rd then added "but I won anyway. 75m!" Keeping the grift alive! Never mind the other guy got 82m by his dodgy arithmetic.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, JackLadd said:

I like how Drumpf threw a tantrum about Hunter Biden tax investigation not coming out before Nov 3rd then added "but I won anyway. 75m!" Keeping the grift alive! Never mind the other guy got 82m by his dodgy arithmetic.

Fantastic. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (title updated)
  • Maple Leaf changed the title to U.S. Politics megathread (merged)