Levein is not the answer mk2 ( merged )

Hood09

4 minutes ago, Tynecastlesmychurch said:

Correct. 

Yes it's been a frustrating couple of months. And it could be a real pish end to the year football wise for us. But we know why our form is the way it is. People can't just dismiss our injuries because they're tired of hearing about it. People along with the media are forgetting that we were top of the league from day one till roughly mid November about two weeks after Naismith's injury wich really was the catalyst for the downturn in form. It was one injury tomany to our key players.

But we've got two key players back now. And hopefully the never ending injuries will start drop off and give us a chance at top 3 maybe top 2 were not two far off it as it stand

The football under Levein is boring and negative,Long past his best,needs to be replaced.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• Phil Dunphy

• Bull's-eye

• Enzo Chiefo

2 minutes ago, ford donald said:

The football under Levein is boring and negative,Long past his best,needs to be replaced.

That’s his style of play was the same the first time round!

33 minutes ago, graygo said:

Seriously?

Over the last 4 years there are probably over a dozen who have been certain first team picks when fit.

A dozen players from our academy are now first team picks? ?

3 minutes ago, Markymark said:

Agreed and done. ?

Good stuff. Just to confirm the details then:

Hearts finish 2018 in 8th place then I pay £50 to Big Hearts

Hearts finish 2018 above 8th place then Markymark pays £50 to Big Hearts

Agreed? ??

Edited by To Be Frank

Just now, Angel eyes said:

That’s his style of play was the same the first time round!

Yes I know,he has been giving another chance and It's worse!

3 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Agreed? ??

Agreed ?

2 minutes ago, Markymark said:

A dozen players from our academy are now first team picks? ?

Sorry never realised we were talking about academy players.

It's ludicrous to say that there has been no progress on that front though, before Levein came in our academy was decimated. Last year we had sevaral players in the first team squad, albeit it was too eaarly for them.They have been introduced sparingly this season which is how it should be. In Cochrane's case it is because he has been carrying injuries and illness or he would have featured a lot more. we also have quite a few out on loan getting valuable first team experience which will help when they come back to the club full time.

4 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Agreed? ??

Oooooh interesting 

I'm with 8th place

I've got £100 on with Hector that Godinho will be away come 1st game of next season 

Thats Big Hearts £150 better off regardless of who's bet wins 

Great way to settle a difference of opinion on Kickback 

Just now, graygo said:

Sorry never realised we were talking about academy players.

It's ludicrous to say that there has been no progress on that front though, before Levein came in our academy was decimated. Last year we had sevaral players in the first team squad, albeit it was too eaarly for them.They have been introduced sparingly this season which is how it should be. In Cochrane's case it is because he has been carrying injuries and illness or he would have featured a lot more. we also have quite a few out on loan getting valuable first team experience which will help when they come back to the club full time.

Yeah I was originally responding to someone else querying progress if academy.

Appreciate lots of players out on loan and only Cochrane has been a stand out but again not a first team pick. 

4.5 years now. Motherwell, St Johnstone and st Mirren seem to be bringing through young guys every season.

You just need to look at the first team regression to ask why we’d havs any confidence in academy. 

2 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Oooooh interesting 

I'm with 8th place

I've got £100 on with Hector that Godinho will be away come 1st game of next season 

Thats Big Hearts £150 better off regardless of who's bet wins 

Absolutely, it’s win-win for Big Hearts ??

@shaun.lawson Care to put your money where you mouth is too given you felt it was phree money? 

Just now, Markymark said:

Appreciate lots of players out on loan and only Cochrane has been a stand out but again not a first team pick. 

4.5 years now. Motherwell, St Johnstone and st Mirren seem to be bringing through young guys every season.

You just need to look at the first team regression to ask why we’d havs any confidence in academy. 

I know, it was me. Christ knows how I missed it.  

1 minute ago, To Be Frank said:

Absolutely, it’s win-win for Big Hearts ??

@shaun.lawson Care to put your money where you mouth is too given you felt it was phree money? 

Ooooooooooh ?

20 minutes ago, Tynecastlesmychurch said:

Correct. 

Yes it's been a frustrating couple of months. And it could be a real pish end to the year football wise for us. But we know why our form is the way it is. People can't just dismiss our injuries because they're tired of hearing about it. People along with the media are forgetting that we were top of the league from day one till roughly mid November about two weeks after Naismith's injury wich really was the catalyst for the downturn in form. It was one injury tomany to our key players.

But we've got two key players back now. And hopefully the never ending injuries will start drop off and give us a chance at top 3 maybe top 2 were not two far off it as it stands!

People are just desperate to criticise. When things are going well it seems like some are grudgingly accepting of it but as soon as they aren't, they'll be out in force. The main negative for me isn't Levein's tactics, it's the fact that outwith our best players our squad is utterly mediocre, much more so than other teams. We're so heavily reliant them that our season is going to be dictated by their fitness.

6 minutes ago, ford donald said:

Again, this probably wasn't being said when we were top of the league. We were playing attacking football, scoring goals and also defending well. As far as I recall Levein was coach then. When we lost our quality players it simply exposed how reliant we are on them, not that Levein's tactics are poor. Poorer players force you to play more negative football, not because you want to, but because you are not as capable of breaking down teams with spees and/or creativity.

1 minute ago, Markymark said:

Surely you’re not slagging off the academy after the number of talented youngsters appearing over the past year!

Cochrane

MacDonald

Morrison

Godinho 

Brandon

with Smith, Hamilton, Sandison and Keena already coming through as the next bunch ??

17 hours ago, allanwilson1970 said:

As much as I praise him for the academy since I see most games and also reserves I am utterly bemused that he thinks McDonald is anywhere near the team and to get on the pitch ahead of Morrison is an absolute disgrace. McDonald’s was abysmal for U18s against Hamilton and in every reserve game this season been anonymous. So for me this is Levien putting on a  young academy players to deflect attention from the reality and after today I am sick of it.  This is not his vanity project to waste my hard earned going up and down the country watching our U18s, reserves and first team. Simply he better start playing the right players based on form and ability not this seemingly pet project. I have nothing against McDonald but simply he is miles away from being good enough. 

McDonald will go the way of most of our young players in the next couple of years, unless he gets played. He might well be off form right now but he's hardly featured so no surprise that he's not up to speed. Morrison, like other young players will also drop down leagues if the coaching isn't changed at the club, Cochrane too. Very few of the youngsters we've brought through in recent years have cut it at a higher level. The likes of Brad Mackay, Jordan McGhee, Billy King, Kevin McHattie and others are barely heard of. Liam Smith is heading in the same direction and Dario Zanatta has been out on loan to so many clubs I've lost count so what's the point? Jamie Walker has disappeared of the radar and should've been in the National squad regularly by now. Said it plenty times before and i'll say again, the coaching team at Tynecastle are not good enough. Not only are young players' development suffering, most signings we make are decent at first and then start to fail miserably, this isn't a new thing this season, it's been going on since 2015, the sooner this is realised the sooner things can move on with a new coaching squad. They all need to go.

4 minutes ago, jambonian said:

McDonald will go the way of most of our young players in the next couple of years, unless he gets played. He might well be off form right now but he's hardly featured so no surprise that he's not up to speed. Morrison, like other young players will also drop down leagues if the coaching isn't changed at the club, Cochrane too. Very few of the youngsters we've brought through in recent years have cut it at a higher level. The likes of Brad Mackay, Jordan McGhee, Billy King, Kevin McHattie and others are barely heard of. Liam Smith is heading in the same direction and Dario Zanatta has been out on loan to so many clubs I've lost count so what's the point? Jamie Walker has disappeared of the radar and should've been in the National squad regularly by now. Said it plenty times before and i'll say again, the coaching team at Tynecastle are not good enough. Not only are young players' development suffering, most signings we make are decent at first and then start to fail miserably, this isn't a new thing this season, it's been going on since 2015, the sooner this is realised the sooner things can move on with a new coaching squad. They all need to go.

You’re blissfully ignoring the huge issue with funding to the academy being cut for a number of years. The young players being produced now are a cut above those of five years ago with the exception of Paterson.

17 minutes ago, ford donald said:

Yes I know,he has been giving another chance and It's worse!

I mind the first time he was in charge and it was Pittodrie aswell we played up there December time and drew 0-0 he apologised after the game for the display the team had a trip planned but it was cancelled due to the performance manager didn’t think they were worthy of a beano to Marbella or where ever they were going?

8 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Surely you’re not slagging off the academy after the number of talented youngsters appearing over the past year!

Cochrane

MacDonald

Morrison

Godinho 

Brandon

with Smith, Hamilton, Sandison and Keena already coming through as the next bunch ??

Frank, if that’s the best we have then maybe my expectations are higher than yours. 

Godinho is absolutely honking! Brandon was signed from Rangers

Cochrane has scored a single goal in 25 appearances.

Sorry, not in agreement on the academy 

9 minutes ago, Markymark said:

Frank, if that’s the best we have then maybe my expectations are higher than yours. 

Godinho is absolutely honking! Brandon was signed from Rangers

Cochrane has scored a single goal in 25 appearances.

Sorry, not in agreement on the academy 

Godinho was very good last season and is just back from a long term injury.

Cochrane had universal praise last season and has struggled badly this season with constant niggling injuries.

Our current and upcoming crop of youngsters will become very good players for us for a number of years and also make us a fortune in the long term imo.

Governor Tarkin
34 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Prefer the traditional paggers behind the Wheatfield tbh.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

8 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

You’re blissfully ignoring the huge issue with funding to the academy being cut for a number of years. The young players being produced now are a cut above those of five years ago with the exception of Paterson.

Well, perhaps if they didn't sign so many dodgy Mulraneys, Wightons, Sammons and Martins they would have more money available. You say the players coming through now are a cut above the previous, time will tell. Hope you're right but i'm seeing a familiar pattern appearing. Young players seem to get to a certain level then stop developing. From last season, Henderson, Cochrane, McDonald and others have stalled.  This is a worrying trend. We were all going on about how decent our younger players like Billy King, Jamie Walker, Jordan McGhee and others were. Calum Paterson has been the exception and possibly Sam Nicholson, don't know what he's doing in the states right now but after that it's a bit sketchy with others. Last thing we need is more youngsters not progressing. The whole idea of a youth set-up, especially for a club like ours, is to produce talent that makes the club a few million quid occasionally. With the exception of Paterson, we've made almost nothing.

3 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Well, perhaps if they didn't sign so many dodgy Mulraneys, Wightons, Sammons and Martins they would have more money available. You say the players coming through now are a cut above the previous, time will tell. Hope you're right but i'm seeing a familiar pattern appearing. Young players seem to get to a certain level then stop developing. From last season, Henderson, Cochrane, McDonald and others have stalled.  This is a worrying trend. We were all going on about how decent our younger players like Billy King, Jamie Walker, Jordan McGhee and others were. Calum Paterson has been the exception and possibly Sam Nicholson, don't know what he's doing in the states right now but after that it's a bit sketchy with others. Last thing we need is more youngsters not progressing. The whole idea of a youth set-up, especially for a club like ours, is to produce talent that makes the club a few million quid occasionally. With the exception of Paterson, we've made almost nothing.

The likes of Cochrane, Brandon and Godinho have been injured. McDonald is 17. I’d hardly call that stalling.

9 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

The likes of Cochrane, Brandon and Godinho have been injured. McDonald is 17. I’d hardly call that stalling.

Okay, but as I say, time will tell.

Actually, that's another thing...why are we having such serious injury problems? All clubs have this but with us, it seems worse! What the hell are they doing at training for so many to get injured then or during games!? But that's another thread.

1 minute ago, jambonian said:

Actually, that's another thing...why are we having such serious injury problems? All clubs have this but with us, it seems worse! What the hell are they doing at training for so many to get injured then or during games!? But that's another thread.

Just horrendous bad luck that’s it’s been our key players and all in similar positions in the team.

38 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Cochrane

MacDonald

Morrison

Godinho 

Brandon

Please enlighten me how these young lads are a shining example of how our academy is churning out players ready to make an impact at first team level. 

Just because they are being selected by Craig doesn't mean they are anywhere near good enough . 

Morrison is s classic excample , a forward that doesn't score or assist . 

Wirh the exception of Harry Ive yet to see any youngster from our academy ready to make a serious impact  at first team level. He 

2 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Please enlighten me how these young lads are a shining example of how our academy is churning out players ready to make an impact at first team level. 

Just because they are being selected by Craig doesn't mean they are anywhere near good enough . 

Morrison is s classic excample , a forward that doesn't score or assist . 

Wirh the exception of Harry Ive yet to see any youngster from our academy ready to make a serious impact  at first team level. He 

Did you not watch Godinho or McDonald last season? 

8 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Someone said on the match day thread that Aberdeen have more players out than us at the moment. 

Injuries and decisions have just been Levein’s smokescreen for the past 2 months. 

Just now, To Be Frank said:

Did you not watch Godinho or McDonald last season? 

Look Frank 

We all want what's best for Hearts that's a given . 

IMO This crop of youngsters you have mentioned , with the exception of Harry are nowhere near good enough for Hearts first team . 

Ive had a season ticket for as long as I care to remember and have seen some quality youngsters coming through . They are fairly easy to spot from a young age . 

This myth that the academy has somehow been revamp and we are starting to see the benefit is bollocks . 

Yes we give game time to a lot of youngsters , but none are making a serious impact at first team level in a good way . That's just fact whether we want to believe it or not . 

Bridge of Djoum
36 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Prefer the traditional paggers behind the Wheatfield tbh.

Stripped from the waist down, a ring formed with lego buses and an all female audience admiring my Johnson.

There is no other way.

2 hours ago, Oliver Twist said:

:rofl:

Was waiting for a reference to Man United yesterday.

Negative tactics  :rofl:

JKB Bingo

You can laugh all you like but 4 goals in 10 games (2 x O’Gs) doesn’t lie.

Would love to see how many shots on target we have had in those games.

It’s ok though, Levein guarantees we will be fine after January ..... oh until someone else gets injured or ref doesn’t give us a penalty.

3 hours ago, Oliver Twist said:

:rofl:

Was waiting for a reference to Man United yesterday.

Negative tactics  :rofl:

JKB Bingo

The comparison is a very fair point in my opinion.

Mourhino had become a Dour uninspiring Manager who could not motivate his players, or score enough goals.

The very next game with a New Manager, and they not only win with style, they cover more ground per man than their opponnents. Prior to this United were outrun by their opponnents in 16 of their last 17 games.

I am surprised you cannot see the point the poster was making. But there again, wee emoji's laughing make a better point in your opinion.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

People are just desperate to criticise. When things are going well it seems like some are grudgingly accepting of it but as soon as they aren't, they'll be out in force. The main negative for me isn't Levein's tactics, it's the fact that outwith our best players our squad is utterly mediocre, much more so than other teams. We're so heavily reliant them that our season is going to be dictated by their fitness.

Again, this probably wasn't being said when we were top of the league. We were playing attacking football, scoring goals and also defending well. As far as I recall Levein was coach then. When we lost our quality players it simply exposed how reliant we are on them, not that Levein's tactics are poor. Poorer players force you to play more negative football, not because you want to, but because you are not as capable of breaking down teams with spees and/or creativity.

So who’s fault is it that we totally rely on a few players, who signed 18 in the summer? Most of whom aren’t good enough unless their hand is being held by Naismith or Berra. It’s all at his door.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, jambonian said:

I think there is hope for this batch of youngsters and wouldn’t write them off. I have to agree about the coaching though, they haven’t improved one single player and these youngsters are relying on Naismith, Berra and desperately enough Maclean and Hughes to help them. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

So who’s fault is it that we totally rely on a few players, who signed 18 in the summer? Most of whom aren’t good enough unless their hand is being held by Naismith or Berra. It’s all at his door.

Tactics and recruitment are two different things, but I do get your point. I think a lot of his signings have been good, such as Haring and Lee, and some have been exceptional, such as Berra, Souttar, Uche and Naismith. But, some have been poor, there's not getting round it. We definitely seem to sign far more duds than other teams, maybe because we have more money to spend on transfers and are more willing to take a punt. But, I have no doubt that Levein asks many others at the club for their opinion on signings so it isn't just down to him i.e. if McPhee said he didn't want a certain signing I don't think Levein would go ahead.

9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think there is hope for this batch of youngsters and wouldn’t write them off. I have to agree about the coaching though, they haven’t improved one single player and these youngsters are relying on Naismith, Berra and desperately enough Maclean and Hughes to help them. 

Not improved Souttar?

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Tactics and recruitment are two different things, but I do get your point. I think a lot of his signings have been good, such as Haring and Lee, and some have been exceptional, such as Berra, Souttar, Uche and Naismith. But, some have been poor, there's not getting round it. We definitely seem to sign far more duds than other teams, maybe because we have more money to spend on transfers and are more willing to take a punt. But, I have no doubt that Levein asks many others at the club for their opinion on signings so it isn't just down to him i.e. if McPhee said he didn't want a certain signing I don't think Levein would go ahead.

The majority have been poor,Lee is ok when the ball goes up top and sticks, goes back then he has time to get up in support. He is so slow and he and Haring rarely cover runners behind them.

The recruitment side of things needs to be seriously looked at, and changed. They have failed miserabl to find a LB that’s of turn standard required, they couldnt even pick one from the Man City/Utd reserves. They’ve wasted millions and if Macphees opinion gave us such greats as Hughes/Tzolis/Alvonitis/Struna and ok guys like Smith/Lafferty and Isma then maybe Levein shouldn’t ask.

Fully support CL. Recent results are understandable. Only question I have is why are we getting so many injuries....maybe our training needs to be looked at?

Expect our early season form to return when all our injured players are back.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Not improved Souttar?

For me that’s down to Berra, anyone else of the 102 players or 25 academy players used that’s improved under their tutelage?

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
20 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It's quite obvious, even the 'Levein can do no wrong' cult can't defend against it. He risked on Uche not getting injured and took punts on Clare and Wighton. Completely his fault why we are in this situation. Although not helped by refs I must admit but we were still second best in these games. He's yet to take responsibility.

Edited by Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Pasquale for King
Just now, McCrae said:

Fully support CL. Recent results are understandable. Only question I have is why are we getting so many injuries....maybe our training needs to be looked at?

Expect our early season form to return when all our injured players are back.

It’s a question that doesn’t even seem to be asked, we are never at full strength at any point.

30 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

The comparison is a very fair point in my opinion.

Mourhino had become a Dour uninspiring Manager who could not motivate his players, or score enough goals.

The very next game with a New Manager, and they not only win with style, they cover more ground per man than their opponnents. Prior to this United were outrun by their opponnents in 16 of their last 17 games.

I am surprised you cannot see the point the poster was making. But there again, wee emoji's laughing make a better point in your opinion.

If you think there is any similarity between players earning well over 100k a week and our players then I think it's time you binned the Glue.

rudi must stay
20 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Aye six points of second place sack your manager.

Welt.

A relevant point. You couldn't put up to Christmas as great but I'd put it as a good start. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

It's quite obvious, even the 'Levein can do no wrong' cult can't defend against it. He risked on Uche not getting injured and took punts on Clare and Wighton. Completely his fault why we are in this situation. Although not helped by refs I must admit but we were still second best in these games. He's yet to take responsibility.

Indeed, the refs only help two teams in the league so that excuse only goes so far.

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

For me that’s down to Berra, anyone else of the 102 players or 25 academy players used that’s improved under their tutelage?

It’s clearly Berra’s fault none of the other players have improved as well ??

Edited by To Be Frank

3 hours ago, ford donald said:

You weren't saying that at the start of the season.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

It’s clearly Berra’s fault none of the other players have improved as well ??

Is that it then? One player in your opinion has been improved? Less than one percent? No others? Glad you think it’s funny.

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Is that it then? One player in your opinion has been improved? Less than one percent? No others? Glad you think it’s funny.

What’s the point in my me telling you the players I think have improved when you refuse to give the manager any credit for the improvement :rofl:

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

A relevant point. You couldn't put up to Christmas as great but I'd put it as a good start. 

6 teams are within 8 points of 2nd, it’s been a strange start to the season. We could be 8th by next Saturday behind Hibs, this place will keep us going through the winter break ??.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

What’s the point in my me telling you the players I think have improved when you refuse to give the manager any credit for the improvement :rofl:

List them then, do you think because you say it that’s it no discussion? Souttar himself credited Berra with his progression, was he lying? You know better eh ?????

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hearts/john-souttar-i-m-in-no-hurry-to-leave-hearts-1-4651572

Edited by Pasquale for King

• davemclaren locked this topic