Levein is not the answer mk2 ( merged )

Hood09

8 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

If you think there is any similarity between players earning well over 100k a week and our players then I think it's time you binned the Glue.

I think it’s you that needs to come off the glue Olly

The point being made is that with the same group of players, the manager setting them up differently and allowing them to play football instead of stifling them resulted in a vastly improved performance

It doesn’t matter if the players are paid 100k a week or 100 quid a week the premise is the same. Change tactics and give players a bit more freedom to express themselves and it gives you results. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• Phil Dunphy

• Bull's-eye

• Enzo Chiefo

I’ll have a £100 wager with the money to Big Hearts, that we’ll finish not less than 4th place and make Europe  this year. Give him the rest of the season but anything less than this and there should be a management change along with all his assistants! 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

List them then, do you think because you say it that’s it no discussion? Souttar himself credited Berra with his progression, was he lying? You know better eh ?????

Who signed Berra? ? I’m 100% sure if you asked Souttar who has helped him progress he’d credit Levein with a big part of it as well as Berra.

Cochrane has came on a huge amount since the boy who made his debut under Cathro, as has Morrison. He’s got Djoum back to the form he showed under Neilson and developed Dunne into a very good centre back too. I liked the way he gradually fed Godinho into the team last year and when fully fit he’ll be back to his best. He’s developed Smith into a more flexible player who is comfortable at playing centre-back.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
1 minute ago, merseyjambo said:

The point being made is that with the same group of players, the manager setting them up differently and allowing them to play football instead of stifling them resulted in a vastly improved performance

It doesn’t matter if the players are paid 100k a week or 100 quid a week the premise is the same. Change tactics and give players a bit more freedom to express themselves and it gives you results. 

You can't take 1 game against Cardiff as a reasonable sample size. 

3 hours ago, jambonian said:

McDonald will go the way of most of our young players in the next couple of years, unless he gets played. He might well be off form right now but he's hardly featured so no surprise that he's not up to speed. Morrison, like other young players will also drop down leagues if the coaching isn't changed at the club, Cochrane too. Very few of the youngsters we've brought through in recent years have cut it at a higher level. The likes of Brad Mackay, Jordan McGhee, Billy King, Kevin McHattie and others are barely heard of. Liam Smith is heading in the same direction and Dario Zanatta has been out on loan to so many clubs I've lost count so what's the point? Jamie Walker has disappeared of the radar and should've been in the National squad regularly by now. Said it plenty times before and i'll say again, the coaching team at Tynecastle are not good enough. Not only are young players' development suffering, most signings we make are decent at first and then start to fail miserably, this isn't a new thing this season, it's been going on since 2015, the sooner this is realised the sooner things can move on with a new coaching squad. They all need to go.

Your spot on sadly 

3 hours ago, jambonian said:

McDonald will go the way of most of our young players in the next couple of years, unless he gets played. He might well be off form right now but he's hardly featured so no surprise that he's not up to speed. Morrison, like other young players will also drop down leagues if the coaching isn't changed at the club, Cochrane too. Very few of the youngsters we've brought through in recent years have cut it at a higher level. The likes of Brad Mackay, Jordan McGhee, Billy King, Kevin McHattie and others are barely heard of. Liam Smith is heading in the same direction and Dario Zanatta has been out on loan to so many clubs I've lost count so what's the point? Jamie Walker has disappeared of the radar and should've been in the National squad regularly by now. Said it plenty times before and i'll say again, the coaching team at Tynecastle are not good enough. Not only are young players' development suffering, most signings we make are decent at first and then start to fail miserably, this isn't a new thing this season, it's been going on since 2015, the sooner this is realised the sooner things can move on with a new coaching squad. They all need to go.

You have chosen to use players as an example who are simply bad football players. Brad Mackay is arguably the worst defender to ever play in the top league and McGhee isn't far behind him. Guardiola could be coaching them and they would still be utter dross.

The only one who had potential to be a really good player was Walker and he was let down by his attitude and the fact that he seemed incapable of staying injury free.

There's a reason none of these players have had some sort of career renaissance since leaving hearts. They were for the most part utter crap.

You don't watch much SPFL football then. You certainly don't watch Hearts if you think the players are playing in shackles. 

"freedom to express themselves" straight out of the Gary Neville book of EPL drivel. I'd say Craig Levein has given Demi Mitchell and to a slightly lesser extent Callumn Morrison plenty scope to "express themselves". 

In fact I'd say it's time we went back to last season's dire performances when we didn't concede any goals. It's got to be better than getting beat every week eh ?

5 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Who signed Berra? ? I’m 100% sure if you asked Souttar who has helped him progress he’d credit Levein with a big part of it as well as Berra.

Cochrane has came on a huge amount since the boy who made his debut under Cathro, as has Morrison. He’s got Djoum back to the form he showed under Neilson and developed Dunne into a very good centre back too. I liked the way he gradually fed Godinho into the team last year and when fully fit he’ll be back to his best. He’s developed Smith into a more flexible player who is comfortable at playing centre-back.

Cochrane has regressed badly this year , although injuries have been a factor . Morrison has had ample game time but has failed to score or assist in nearly every game he has played and Godinho was horrendous v Well and poor again yesterday , he looks miles away from being a reliable option atm . Djoum is what he always was.  Great when we are on top , posted missing when we need to dig in . 

Dumne looked a player as soon as he made his debut and Smith is what he was when he first signed . Reliable and  versatile with the odd shocker in him . 

Apart from that you're spot on ??

2 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Cochrane has regressed badly this year , although injuries have been a factor . Morrison has had ample game time but has failed to score or assist in nearly every game he has played and Godinho was horrendous v Well and poor again yesterday , he looks miles away from being a reliable option atm . Djoum is what he always was.  Great when we are on top , posted missing when we need to dig in . 

Dumne looked a player as soon as he made his debut and Smith is what he was when he first signed . Reliable and  versatile with the odd shocker in him . 

Apart from that you're spot on ??

How can you say Cochrane has regressed when he has hardly kicked a ball due to injury? :rofl:

21 hours ago, campbell said:

Few wins, Levein is great 

few defeat Levein is shit 

reality we are doing ok and still competing for top 4

2 goals since the end of October and one win in that same time frame.

Aye, that's decent form.

1 minute ago, To Be Frank said:

How can you say Cochrane has regressed when he has hardly kicked a ball due to injury? :rofl:

He was anonymous v Rangers and in the few cameos he has made this season .Last season he was pretty influential in many games and well worthy of his starting position. 

Like is say injuries have almost certainly contributed to his regression this season . 

Using Morrison and Godinho has examples of how our Academy is successful is quite frankly laughable. They are an absolute country mile away from being ready for any SPFL side far less us . 

To make any money the young players need to develop over a hundred first team games and be shining the way Paterson did. With the ludicrous player turnover their first team opportunities are blocked and they will not develop.  

15 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Aye, that's decent form.

4 goals, 4 points.

Still shite mind !!

11 minutes ago, ramrod said:

He was anonymous v Rangers and in the few cameos he has made this season .Last season he was pretty influential in many games and well worthy of his starting position. 

Like is say injuries have almost certainly contributed to his regression this season . 

Using Morrison and Godinho has examples of how our Academy is successful is quite frankly laughable. They are an absolute country mile away from being ready for any SPFL side far less us . 

Godinho was a standout before his long term injury.

Everyone was raving about Morrison but he’s hit a bit of a slump which is undertandable for a very young lad in a team that is struggling badly.

Just now, To Be Frank said:

Godinho was a standout before his long term injury.

Everyone was raving about Morrison but he’s hit a bit of a slump which is undertandable for a very young lad in a team that is struggling badly.

I respect your opinion m8 . 

Imo in the last few years not inc Paterson who was pretty well established in the first team then , the only youngster who can claim to have been truly influential is Harry . 

The youngsters we have given game time to haven't been up to the standard required . 

Morrison and Godinho will never ever make it in the SPFL , they simply don't have the basics for their positions . 

Our academy has been lorded by the club and a good few fans but there is very little evidence of players ready for the first team being produced. 

We produce quantity but very little  real quality a bit like our first team recruitment ironically. 

4 minutes ago, ramrod said:

I respect your opinion m8 . 

Imo in the last few years not inc Paterson who was pretty well established in the first team then , the only youngster who can claim to have been truly influential is Harry . 

The youngsters we have given game time to haven't been up to the standard required . 

Morrison and Godinho will never ever make it in the SPFL , they simply don't have the basics for their positions . 

Our academy has been lorded by the club and a good few fans but there is very little evidence of players ready for the first team being produced. 

We produce quantity but very little  real quality a bit like our first team recruitment ironically. 

No worries mate, we’ll agree to disagree ??

1 hour ago, Oliver Twist said:

If you think there is any similarity between players earning well over 100k a week and our players then I think it's time you binned the Glue.

Firstly, if you cannot debate footballing matters with resorting to childish insults, then your argument is lost. (Incidentally I binned the glue over 50 years ago when I could not fit the pilot into my airfix spitfire, and have not gone near it since!)

It matters not what the standard of Football, whether its Irvine Meadow, Hearts or Man Utd. There are certain basics such as a Manager, 11 Players and the Opposition.

It is down to the application of individual players, and the tactics the Manager employs that makes the difference. What they are paid is of no consequence.

The difference in Man Utd's play, energy and committment simply by using the same players, with a different Manager makes the world of difference.

Keep off the insults and stick to Football matters.

6 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Firstly, if you cannot debate footballing matters with resorting to childish insults, then your argument is lost. (Incidentally I binned the glue over 50 years ago when I could not fit the pilot into my airfix spitfire, and have not gone near it since!)

It matters not what the standard of Football, whether its Irvine Meadow, Hearts or Man Utd. There are certain basics such as a Manager, 11 Players and the Opposition.

It is down to the application of individual players, and the tactics the Manager employs that makes the difference. What they are paid is of no consequence.

The difference in Man Utd's play, energy and committment simply by using the same players, with a different Manager makes the world of difference.

Keep off the insults and stick to Football matters.

Firstly, I'm not here to argue. 

Secondly, I'm very sorry for upsetting you with my childish insinuation.

1 hour ago, Miko said:

You have chosen to use players as an example who are simply bad football players. Brad Mackay is arguably the worst defender to ever play in the top league and McGhee isn't far behind him. Guardiola could be coaching them and they would still be utter dross.

The only one who had potential to be a really good player was Walker and he was let down by his attitude and the fact that he seemed incapable of staying injury free.

There's a reason none of these players have had some sort of career renaissance since leaving hearts. They were for the most part utter crap.

I haven't just chosen any old players, I can only choose the ones we had. I thought Brad Mackay was going to be a decent prospect but like others around him, he didn't progress. Billy King also. The overall point though, is that the youth system has failed more than  it has been fruitful. We all hope the new batch is a lot better and make us a load of money, which  is what the system is about.

I thought Ben Garuccio was superb when he first arrived. Thought we'd sorted out our left-back problem at long last. Solid enough, bit of pace if needed, skill and not scared of a tackle. Quite handy at free kicks as was shown against Inverness. Don't think he's had one to take since, shocking management. He was doing fine 'til Levein decided to constantly drop him and play Mitchell back there. I still think he's the best option we have and if his form has dipped, it's hardly surprising when he's sitting on the bench most weeks. Certainly a better option defensively than Mitchell. But that's how it is at Hearts, players come in, look very decent then fall away as the season goes on, been doing that since 2015 so it's not a one-off. I'd get pissed off as well if I wasn't doing anything wrong and being dropped. Happened to so many and will continue. Players get fed-up and lose interest.

Edited by jambonian

20 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I thought Ben Garuccio was superb when he first arrived. Thought we'd sorted out our left-back problem at long last. Solid enough, bit of pace if needed, skill and not scared of a tackle. Quite handy at free kicks as was shown against Inverness. Don't think he's had one to take since, shocking management. He was doing fine 'til Levein decided to constantly drop him and play Mitchell back there. I still think he's the best option we have and if his form has dipped, it's hardly surprising when he's sitting on the bench most weeks. Certainly a better option defensively than Mitchell. But that's how it is at Hearts, players come in, look very decent then fall away as the season goes on, been doing that since 2015 so it's not a one-off. I'd get pissed off as well if I wasn't doing anything wrong and being dropped. Happened to so many and will continue. Players get fed-up and lose interest.

Totally agree re Garrucio ??

18 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Agree thought he has been harshly dropped a few times he did have a stinker against St mirren and livi but would of like to of seen him get a good run of games like u said. 

3 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

I’ll have a £100 wager with the money to Big Hearts, that we’ll finish not less than 4th place and make Europe  this year. Give him the rest of the season but anything less than this and there should be a management change along with all his assistants! 

4th! Wow.

Im not having any of your bet, but I’d be absolutely stunned if we finish in the top 4. Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Killie all look certainties to finish above us. I’d also fancy St J to do likewise. As for Livi, we are all waiting on their form to collapse, but there’s no sign of it so far. 

Edited by amadjambo

1 minute ago, amadjambo said:

4th! Wow.

Im not having any of your bet, but I’d be absolutely stunned if we finish in the top 4. Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Killie all look certainties to finish above us. I’d also fancy St J to do likewise. 

Is being so despondent some sort of defence mechanism or are you generally a torn pussed doomonger in general ?

4 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

Is being so despondent some sort of defence mechanism or are you generally a torn pussed doomonger in general ?

Haha. I’m neither despondent not torn passed thanks. I’m not deluded either. Naismith coming back is huge for us, but we have problems at left back, and all over midfield, as well as we can’t score goals. The teams above us are better right now, and without unearthing a gem or two in January, we could struggle.

Ive also just seen a post with our stats for our last 20 away games against Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hibs.

Do you only post derogatory replies to people?

Edited by amadjambo

3 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Is that you Craig?

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

You can't take 1 game against Cardiff as a reasonable sample size. 

No but it goes to show that managers can get different reactions out of the same players. If you want to look at Steve Clarke then look at what he did with the same group of players that McCulloch had as relegation stick on last season.

2 hours ago, Oliver Twist said:

You don't watch much SPFL football then. You certainly don't watch Hearts if you think the players are playing in shackles. 

"freedom to express themselves" straight out of the Gary Neville book of EPL drivel. I'd say Craig Levein has given Demi Mitchell and to a slightly lesser extent Callumn Morrison plenty scope to "express themselves". 

In fact I'd say it's time we went back to last season's dire performances when we didn't concede any goals. It's got to be better than getting beat every week eh ?

You have your opinion. I have mine. CL plays safety first football. Mitchell is a shadow of the player he looked last season, Morrison is in and out of team so you can hardly install either of them as a paragon of ‘freedom of expression’. 

Neither of them are being used as out and out wide players because bringing a winger in doesn’t fit with CLs style of football. Players like McCann and Colquhoun would have been stifled under CL.  Players like Middleton at Rangers, Johnston at Celtic and Mackie (I think) at Hibs are in the same age bracket as guys like McDonald and Moore yet they’re getting more game time than our much vaunted academy kids. 

Give me Jim Jeffries or Doddies Hearts to watch over CL any day of the week.

Edited by merseyjambo

No but it goes to show that managers can get different reactions out of the same players. If you want to look at Steve Clarke then look at what he did with the same group of players that McCulloch had as relegation stick on last season.

You have your opinion. I have mine. CL plays safety first football. Mitchell is a shadow of the player he looked last season, Morrison is in and out of team so you can hardly instal, him as a paragon of ‘freedom of expression’. 

Neither of them are being used as out and out wide players because bringing a winger in doesn’t fit with CLs style of football. Players like McCann and Colquhoun would have been stifled under CL.  Players like Middleton at Rangers, Johnston at Celtic and Mackie (I think) at Hibs are in the same age bracket as guys like McDonald and Moore yet they’re getting more game time than our much vaunted academy kids. 

Mitchell and Morrison were given plenty freedom away to Livi. Mitchell

had one moment of magic, Morrison did nothing. To be fair to both that pitch is a disgrace though.

5 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

You have your opinion. I have mine. CL plays safety first football. Mitchell is a shadow of the player he looked last season, Morrison is in and out of team so you can hardly install either of them as a paragon of ‘freedom of expression’. 

Have a Jolly Xmas ?

10 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

Haha. I’m neither despondent not torn passed thanks. I’m not deluded either. Naismith coming back is huge for us, but we have problems at left back, and all over midfield, as well as we can’t score goals. The teams above us are better right now, and without unearthing a gem or two in January, we could struggle.

Ive also just seen a post with our stats for our last 20 away games against Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hibs.

Do you only post derogatory replies to people?

Only the posts that attempt to suck the life of my enjoyment of supporting Hearts, its my defence mechanism.

2 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

Only the posts that attempt to suck the life of my enjoyment of supporting Hearts, its my defence mechanism.

Fair enough. Let’s hope we win the next 2 and all go into the winter break on a high. The break is coming at the right time for the team, and for our fans too. Might do us all the world of good.

It should have been ten
3 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Aye, that's decent form.

It is considering we’ve been missing half of our first team but then that doesnae count eh ?

8 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

Fair enough. Let’s hope we win the next 2 and all go into the winter break on a high. The break is coming at the right time for the team, and for our fans too. Might do us all the world of good.

I'd say the players owe us a decent couple of results over the next week. 

Hopefully the way our players commit themselves professionally can give us the edge at this time of year. 

I remain confident of 6 points. 

6 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

Hopefully the way our players commit themselves professionally can give us the edge at this time of year. 

Serious question, 

On what are you basing your confidence on that Craig and the lads will win at Easter Road ? 

6 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Serious question, 

On what are you basing your confidence on that Craig and the lads will win at Easter Road ? 

Extensive knowledge of Edinburgh derbies a positive mental attitude. 

6 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

Extensive knowledge of Edinburgh derbies a positive mental attitude. 

No worries we will probably all

be using your theory come Saturday tea time although right now I can't see anyway we will

get 3 points . 

8 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Happy to offer you the bet then Shaun? £50?

"This one would be a decent saver" means I don't expect Hearts to be 8th at the shutdown, Frank. In other words, it'd be a saver for you, as your bet on Hearts ending up above Killie is not looking good for you right now.

For the record, I think we'll beat Hamilton and draw, as a minimum, at Hibs. Who'll have three players missing thanks to Australia doing us a favour. 

Edited by shaun.lawson

4 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Aye, that's decent form.

Where did I say it was decent form?? 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, To Be Frank said:

Berra was coming back no matter what, Cathro was in charge ffs.

Morrison came back from his loan where he excelled and has steadily regressed. Smith had experience of playing at CH and CM.

Djoum is fit, not sure how that’s improving. 

Ccchrane made his debut in September 2017 under Levein. Dunne was already a good player or he wouldn’t be at Burley. Who knows what Souttar thinks, the article doesn’t credit Levein. Godinho is good ??

Edited by Pasquale for King

8 minutes ago, campbell said:

Where did I say it was decent form?? 

On 22/12/2018 at 17:01, campbell said:

reality we are doing ok and still competing for top 4

There.

You might think 4 goals in 10 games, one win and two 5-0 reverses in that time are 'ok'. Some of us do not.

Edited by Phil Dunphy

Walter Bishop

I will be stunned if we take 1.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Behave.

8 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

There.

You might think 4 goals in 10 games, one win and two 5-0 reverses in that time are 'ok'. Some of us do not.

Nope again just making stuff up!

I didn’t say anything about decent form, our form right now is terrible and again I didn’t say it was ok, you seem to just make stuff up, no fan should think it’s ok to only win 1 in 10 but that’s not what I was saying I said we are still competing overall in the league if you take the whole season into account! 

We have had one of the worst runs of form I can remember for a long time along with some of the worst injuries and yet still only 6 points off 3rd, I like to remain positive that we can turn this around once we have a full squad, new striker in Jan and maybe another winger, if we don’t see and improvement then I will start to question the management and squad. For now I’ll not sh*t the bed and demand Leveins head on a spike 

2 hours ago, Oliver Twist said:

My defence mechanism against watching Levein led Hearts teams is not going. The last 2 home games I attended, against Mwell and Hibs were turgid. I would expect Budgement Day Mark 2 to occur either in Jan or May.

2 minutes ago, campbell said:

I didn’t say it was ok,

On 22/12/2018 at 17:01, campbell said:

reality we are doing ok

Literally your own words.

Think we can all agree the current performances and results are below par however there has been so many factors in there that I think it’s only fair for Levein to be given time to turn it round after the winter break. 5/6 games after the break and if performances don’t improve then we should be asking questions and looking for alternatives however I don’t think now is the right time to take action. 

5 minutes ago, clouston1992 said:

Think we can all agree the current performances and results are below par however there has been so many factors in there that I think it’s only fair for Levein to be given time to turn it round after the winter break. 5/6 games after the break and if performances don’t improve then we should be asking questions and looking for alternatives however I don’t think now is the right time to take action. 

Where i am at.   As difficult as it has been the past 10 weeks i will give benefit of doubt until end of february.   

It is rare that someone has had the opportunity to run the football side of a club in the way Levein has in the last few years.  He was able to start with very nearly a clean slate - unlike most managers who inherit far more players and other structures.  He's been able to select managers without a proper recruitment process and then select himself after throwing the second under the bus.  Chosen all the coaches.  The Board have given him unbelievable support in signing players - probably 60 or 70 of them with over 100 players used in the 4 and a half years.  Talks developing young players but blocks their way to the first team with the ludicrous numbers of signings.  Talks continuity but there is endless squad turnover.  Continues to push the Board on the laughable coach succession model.

And yet look at the results.  Ann Budge made a mistake when she tied herself to Levein.  Wasn't necessary to do that and unwinding his structures will be costly.

32 minutes ago, clouston1992 said:

Correct, this is the right way to do it and I'm pretty sure most if not all of us  "Levein supporters" would have no problem seeing him removed at that point.

Also sure that the told you so brigade will be out in full force even though as I say, this is the right way to do it. He needs a go at sorting it first.

• davemclaren locked this topic