Levein is not the answer mk2 ( merged )

Hood09

13 minutes ago, Coco said:

It is rare that someone has had the opportunity to run the football side of a club in the way Levein has in the last few years.  He was able to start with very nearly a clean slate - unlike most managers who inherit far more players and other structures.  He's been able to select managers without a proper recruitment process and then select himself after throwing the second under the bus.  Chosen all the coaches.  The Board have given him unbelievable support in signing players - probably 60 or 70 of them with over 100 players used in the 4 and a half years.  Talks developing young players but blocks their way to the first team with the ludicrous numbers of signings.  Talks continuity but there is endless squad turnover.  Continues to push the Board on the laughable coach succession model.

And yet look at the results.  Ann Budge made a mistake when she tied herself to Levein.  Wasn't necessary to do that and unwinding his structures will be costly.

Totally agree. Until we untangle Levein from the club, we won't see the type of progress that most supporters want. Whether it's Budge or Levein that is driving this failed, flawed, "jobs for the boys" succession model...it's finished.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• Phil Dunphy

• Bull's-eye

• Enzo Chiefo

What’s the bet?

£100 for 5th or below?

I’ll take it if someone clarifies but I want the cash.

If I lose and pay out and the winner wants to donate to big hearts then that’s up to them.

17 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Totally agree. Until we untangle Levein from the club, we won't see the type of progress that most supporters want. Whether it's Budge or Levein that is driving this failed, flawed, "jobs for the boys" succession model...it's finished.

You do realise we’ve never actually employed from this “succession model” you are being critical of ?!?!?

2 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

"This one would be a decent saver" means I don't expect Hearts to be 8th at the shutdown, Frank. In other words, it'd be a saver for you, as your bet on Hearts ending up above Killie is not looking good for you right now.

For the record, I think we'll beat Hamilton and draw, as a minimum, at Hibs. Who'll have three players missing thanks to Australia doing us a favour. 

Ah right, misunderstood you ??

51 minutes ago, Coco said:

It is rare that someone has had the opportunity to run the football side of a club in the way Levein has in the last few years.  He was able to start with very nearly a clean slate - unlike most managers who inherit far more players and other structures.  He's been able to select managers without a proper recruitment process and then select himself after throwing the second under the bus.  Chosen all the coaches.  The Board have given him unbelievable support in signing players - probably 60 or 70 of them with over 100 players used in the 4 and a half years.  Talks developing young players but blocks their way to the first team with the ludicrous numbers of signings.  Talks continuity but there is endless squad turnover.  Continues to push the Board on the laughable coach succession model.

And yet look at the results.  Ann Budge made a mistake when she tied herself to Levein.  Wasn't necessary to do that and unwinding his structures will be costly.

Agreed.

Great post.

The control Levein has IS a huge problem.

19 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

You do realise we’ve never actually employed from this “succession model” you are being critical of ?!?!?

You're right. We've never employed a manager from within.

I mean, apart from Neilson and Levein.

2 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Post reported for personal abuse.

Thanks.

Haha seriously are you 5?? 

Where was the personal abuse,  I was asking you a question as I just  can’t believe anyone can fail to follow a conversation! 

Just now, campbell said:

Haha seriously are you 5?? 

Where was the personal abuse,  I was asking you a question as I just  can’t believe anyone can fail to follow a conversation! 

I quoted your EXACT post. The words YOU used.

If you're going to get upset because you can't put your point across coherently, then maybe you shouldn't use the internet in future.

I quoted your EXACT post. The words YOU used.

If you're going to get upset because you can't put your point across coherently, then maybe you shouldn't use the internet in future.

No you did nothing of the sort, you used quotes from my points on different things then twisted them to fit into your argument, it’s quite a pathetic attempt really, then when you realised your mistake you reported me like we are at primary school. 

32 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I do DH, which makes the fact that AB referred to it again, during the week, a bit bizarre.

Just now, campbell said:

No you did nothing of the sort, you used quotes from my points on different things then twisted them to fit into your argument, it’s quite a pathetic attempt really, then when you realised your mistake you reported me like we are at primary school. 

I don't appreciate faceless strangers trying to insult my intelligence because they're unable to properly put across a point, before getting all upset when someone points out they're talking shite.

Imagine thinking we're doing ok. Jesus wept.

5 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I don't appreciate faceless strangers trying to insult my intelligence because they're unable to properly put across a point, before getting all upset when someone points out they're talking shite.

Imagine thinking we're doing ok. Jesus wept.

I wasn’t insulting your intelligence I was asking you if you were thick, something I no longer require you to answer! Ive narrowed it down to 

1 you are indeed thick 

2 you are trolling 

Either one I have no time for anymore, enjoy being depressed about us being so apparently shit 

1 minute ago, Phil Dunphy said:

:laugh:

What a ****ing rasper.

Reported for abusive post 

? 

go have a lie down, life’s tough I’m not sure you’re cut out for it if you are getting so upset about football 

Just now, campbell said:

Reported for abusive post 

?

go have a lie down, life’s tough I’m not sure you’re cut out for it if you are getting so upset about football 

Seek help. Urgently.

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I sincerely hope you are joking with this ...... forget the heart attack ...... forget every injury blessed youngster....forget every injury blessed signing albeit a loan or permanent,the first 10 games are all forgotten , it’s all jobs for the boys now we hit the ropes, some of you pigphucks  don’t deserve our badge to follow, 

i can rant sometimes but ffs , you bring a new low to so called supporters

rant over.... FTH

9 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Seek help. Urgently.

I will, let me know your address so I can send the paramedics 

Edited by campbell

Fire_At_The_Disco
5 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

Come on lads, try and get along.

Exactly! It’s the season of goodwill after all. ??

14 minutes ago, maggieb said:

I sincerely hope you are joking with this ...... forget the heart attack ...... forget every injury blessed youngster....forget every injury blessed signing albeit a loan or permanent,the first 10 games are all forgotten , it’s all jobs for the boys now we hit the ropes, some of you pigphucks  don’t deserve our badge to follow, 

i can rant sometimes but ffs , you bring a new low to so called supporters

rant over.... FTH

Calm down dear. The model is flawed as  is our continued use of Cathro's Box Soccer training methods.  Jack Ross was heir to the throne and decided to abdicate because he didn't like the way we were going.

4 minutes ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

Exactly! It’s the season of goodwill after all. ??

On kickback? 

I've known Hearts have many dreadful runs. Under JJ, you do know we picked up 2 points from 33, 3 from 36 in 1998/9 - and didn't even score a single bloody goal in the league for the first three months of 1999?

But you know what happened? It turned. With Hearts, it almost always does. Though we sometimes go down we can aye come back up. That is us. It's a rollercoaster - but things are almost never as bad as they seem or as good as they seem. So take the rough with the smooth. Nobody ever became a Hearts fan because they demanded constant trophies and league challenges, did they?

EDIT: This is in response to @Phil Dunphy

Edited by shaun.lawson

5 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

I've known Hearts have many dreadful runs. Under JJ, you do know we picked up 2 points from 33, 3 from 36 in 1998/9 - and didn't even score a single bloody goal in the league for the first three months of 1999?

But you know what happened? It turned. With Hearts, it almost always does. Though we sometimes go down we can aye come back up. That is us. It's a rollercoaster - but things are almost never as bad as they seem or as good as they seem. So take the rough with the smooth. Nobody ever became a Hearts fan because they demanded constant trophies and league challenges, did they?

I think you’ve miss understood what I was saying, I was criticising another poster for being so depressed about hearts just now so was mocking him rather than calling us rubbish 

2 minutes ago, campbell said:

I think you’ve miss understood what I was saying, I was criticising another poster for being so depressed about hearts just now so was mocking him rather than calling us rubbish 

Ah. My bad. I should've read more closely - apologies! 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Levein’s failings over several years are numerous. This season comes as no surprise tbh. And with him in charge, we’ll have the same next season.

22 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

EDIT: This is in response to @Phil Dunphy

JJ earned himself some leeway by winning a cup and putting together a title challenge the year before. Craig Levein has won nothing at Hearts, despite being a player for 14 years and a manager for a combined 5.

Some people seem quite happy to accept mediocrity because "that's just Hearts, eh?".

JJ earned himself some leeway by winning a cup and putting together a title challenge the year before. Craig Levein has won nothing at Hearts, despite being a player for 14 years and a manager for a combined 5.

Some people seem quite happy to accept mediocrity because "that's just Hearts, eh?".

And others have an Old Firm mentality and a superiority complex thats borderline lunacy given our history. 

I always find lines like your one above really amusing. Do you think that by "not accepting mediocrity", we'll suddenly avoid injuries, and be able to compete financially with Celtic and Rangers?

Do you think if you take a banner to Tynecastle saying "I DEMAND AN END TO MEDIOCRITY", then chant that message through the game, mediocrity will miraculously end?

Or, to put it another way: other than moaning about it on the internet, what, exactly, are you doing about it?

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, shaun.lawson said:

I always find lines like your one above really amusing. Do you think that by "not accepting mediocrity", we'll suddenly avoid injuries, and be able to compete financially with Celtic and Rangers?

Do you think if you take a banner to Tynecastle saying "I DEMAND AN END TO MEDIOCRITY", then chant that message through the game, mediocrity will miraculously end?

Or, to put it another way: other than moaning about it on the internet, what, exactly, are you doing about it?

Er, what can he do about it, other than vote with his feet?

The whole point of Kickback is to air how you are feeling about the football club. So "moaning about it" is quite appropriate.

1 minute ago, Oliver Twist said:

And others have an Old Firm mentality and a superiority complex thats borderline lunacy given our history. 

1 minute ago, shaun.lawson said:

Who mentioned anything to do with the Old Firm exactly?

1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The whole point of Kickback is to air how you are feeling about the football club. So "moaning about it" is quite appropriate.

He's not just moaning about it. He's doing the classic, time-honoured football messageboard OPEN YOUR EYES WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE SHEEPLE thing of berating other fans for not seeing it as he does. When that wouldn't make the slightest difference in any case.

Our owner spoke during the week. She has full confidence in the manager. I'm quite sure, though, that if we don't make the top 4, the manager himself will stand down and give someone else a crack at it.

2 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Perhaps I should move to South America and lecture other Hearts supporters on how they should feel about the team picking up 5 points from a possible 27. Just like Mr Lawson here.

3 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Who mentioned anything to do with the Old Firm exactly?

Me. Duh.

22 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Levein’s failings over several years are numerous. This season comes as no surprise tbh. And with him in charge, we’ll have the same next season.

More of the same next season? Another 15 or so game unbeaten run sounds good to me and I don’t think we’ll ever see an injury crisis like this one again. No team could cope with the loss of their first choice strikers - let alone one of the quality of Naismith - and CBs then their two backup CBs.

Even last season he did a good job of halting the slide, getting us winning in cup ties and derbies again and making us hard to beat at home.

He’s made mistakes but should be judged on the team he built at the start of the season not the patched up one.

A mistake I think he’s made, maybe due to fan pressure, is instead of trying to keep us hard to beat until the winter break he did try to pick teams to win games but has discovered we don’t have a matchwinner in our team with those injured players out. A lack of a good winger is an issue but noone was complaining at the start of the season.

Should be a different story when everyones back, you’d hope anyhow. 

8 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Perhaps I should move to South America and lecture other Hearts supporters on how they should feel about the team picking up 5 points from a possible 27. Just like Mr Lawson here.

:D 

I'm not suggesting you should feel happy about it or something! Do you think anyone honestly does?

All I'm suggesting is that where Hearts are concerned, retaining a sense of perspective is always important. Other than when our owner was taking us towards death's door, Hearts throughout my life have been as follows:

3rd = very good

4th = OK/acceptable

5th = mediocre/not really acceptable unless there's real signs of progress and/or a Cup Final

6th = absolutely unacceptable, sacking offence if it's the result of a full season for a manager

Below 6th = disgraceful, sacking offence

Levein's already lost some of his credit by only finishing 6th last season: which means he needs top 4 this season, or else. But the thing about Hearts when we're run normally is: bad runs are usually cancelled out by good runs, so we end up no worse than 5th. Either 4th or 5th is where I think we'll end up this season too.

Edited by shaun.lawson

He's not just moaning about it. He's doing the classic, time-honoured football messageboard OPEN YOUR EYES WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE SHEEPLE thing of berating other fans for not seeing it as he does. When that wouldn't make the slightest difference in any case.

Our owner spoke during the week. She has full confidence in the manager. I'm quite sure, though, that if we don't make the top 4, the manager himself will stand down and give someone else a crack at it.

Ok Shaun. Firstly, who have I berated exactly? I highlighted the exact words of another poster on this thread about him claiming that we're "doing ok". I haven't berated anyone up until this point, but I'm happy to start now. I also haven't said anything close to "WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE PEOPLE" nonsense you've just come out with. I have merely questioned the aforementioned posters ascertain that we're "doing ok" when we've picked up five points from a possible twenty seven. Relegation form.

Our owner might have full confidence in the manager, but that doesn't mean everyone should just accept that. Last season people said it wasn't his team and we should let him build his own side. Well, here we are a year later and it's the same ****ing story again. He's had a chance to build a team and he's filled it full of utter dogshite.

6 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

Me. Duh.

I've no idea why anyone thinks we have a divine right to win every game we play. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that we shouldn't be seeing the same story repeating itself after giving the manager a chance to fill the team with players who clearly are either not good enough or are more interested in repping companies on Instagram.

:D 

I'm not suggesting you should feel happy about it or something! Do you think anyone honestly does?

All I'm suggesting is that where Hearts are concerned, retaining a sense of perspective is always important. Other than when our owner was taking us towards death's door, Hearts throughout my life has been as follows:

3rd = very good

4th = OK/acceptable

5th = mediocre/not really acceptable unless there's real signs of progress and/or a Cup Final

6th = absolutely unacceptable

Below 6th = disgraceful, sacking offence

Levein's already lost some of his credit by only finishing 6th last season: which means he needs top 4 this season, or else. But the thing about Hearts when we're run normally is: bad runs are usually cancelled out by good runs, so we end up no worse than 5th. Either 4th or 5th is where I think we'll end up this season too.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting to achieve different results.

He's had a chance to build a team and he's filled it full of utter dogshite.

Which makes the long unbeaten run with which we started the season an extraordinary achievement, given our whole side is apparently full of "utter dogshite". Leading that "utter dogshite" to top of the league must make Levein a bloody genius, no?

Or alternatively: your passion is getting the better of you, and you're wildly exaggerating.

Which could it possibly be...?

Which makes the long unbeaten run with which we started the season an extraordinary achievement, given our whole side is apparently full of "utter dogshite". Leading that "utter dogshite" to top of the league must make Levein a bloody genius, no?

Or alternatively: your passion is getting the better of you, and you're wildly exaggerating.

Which could it possibly be...?

I think I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway.

Were you at St Mirren, Livingston or St Johnstone recently?

7 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Ok Shaun. Firstly, who have I berated exactly? I highlighted the exact words of another poster on this thread about him claiming that we're "doing ok". I haven't berated anyone up until this point, but I'm happy to start now. I also haven't said anything close to "WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE PEOPLE" nonsense you've just come out with. I have merely questioned the aforementioned posters ascertain that we're "doing ok" when we've picked up five points from a possible twenty seven. Relegation form.

Our owner might have full confidence in the manager, but that doesn't mean everyone should just accept that. Last season people said it wasn't his team and we should let him build his own side. Well, here we are a year later and it's the same ****ing story again. He's had a chance to build a team and he's filled it full of utter dogshite.

Were you saying that before the injuries? Take the players we’re missing - in terms of quality and general importance to the team - for the same period and see how Hibs, Aberdeen, Rangers, Killie and even Celtic would cope. And throw in the loss of 3 pts through two of the worst ref decisions i’ve ever seen for good

measure.

I get the Levein haters are delighted right now but a bit of perspective needed. We always have a really bad month pretty much every season. This one was worse than most for obvious reasons.

Edited by Guest

I think I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway.

Were you at St Mirren, Livingston or St Johnstone recently?

Oh no, we played badly in 3 games! Levein Out! 

Hearts playing badly in 3 games has never happened before in the whole history of football. Nor has one freak result. 

You're doing nothing here to disprove my theory that you're taking 2 and 2 and making 357. What will happen to Levein will depend on what happens to Hearts once we return after the shutdown.

Just now, Phil Dunphy said:

I've no idea why anyone thinks we have a divine right to win every game we play. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that we shouldn't be seeing the same story repeating itself after giving the manager a chance to fill the team with players who clearly are either not good enough or are more interested in repping companies on Instagram.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting to achieve different results.

That's because you have an Old Firm mentality that means toys get launched at the 1st sign of trouble, your not alone in the spineless camp, let's take the game yesterday as an example, a decent game evenly contested and settled by some questionable refereeing, either way, a decent competition and unfortunately we didn't win the spoils. 

No, let's sack everybody and rip our own players a new one. Old firm mentality. Classless.

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Were you saying that before the injuries? Take the players we’re missing - in terms of quality and general importance to the team - for the same period and see how Hibs, Aberdeen, Rangers, Killie and even Celtic would cope. And throw in the loss of 3 pts through two of the worst ref decisions i’ve ever seen for good

measure.

I get the Levein haters are delighted right now but a bit of perspective needed. We always have a really bad month pretty much every season. This one was worse than most for obvious reasons.

I said before the end of last season that he wasn't the man to take us forward this season. Managers aren't made by how they deal with the good times. It's how they deal with the bad times. It's funny how the man himself holds his hands up and takes responsibility for our absolutely shocking loss of form, but there are swathes of people on here who refuse to do the same.

Oh no, we played badly in 3 games! Levein Out! 

Hearts playing badly in 3 games has never happened before in the whole history of football. Nor has one freak result. 

You're doing nothing here to disprove my theory that you're taking 2 and 2 and making 357. What will happen to Levein will depend on what happens to Hearts once we return after the shutdown.

Answer my question please Shaun. 

Were you at any of those three games (not the only three games we didn't turn up in, just the first three that came to mind)?

2 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

That's because you have an Old Firm mentality that means toys get launched at the 1st sign of trouble, your not alone in the spineless camp, let's take the game yesterday as an example, a decent game evenly contested and settled by some questionable refereeing, either way, a decent competition and unfortunately we didn't win the spoils. 

No, let's sack everybody and rip our own players a new one. Old firm mentality. Classless.

Oh aye, it's the referees fault again, eh?

SFA are well out to get us.

I said before the end of last season that he wasn't the man to take us forward this season. Managers aren't made by how they deal with the good times. It's how they deal with the bad times. It's funny how the man himself holds his hands up and takes responsibility for our absolutely shocking loss of form, but there are swathes of people on here who refuse to do the same.

Were you at any of those three games (not the only three games we didn't turn up in, just the first three that came to mind)?

If I'd been at the games, I'm sure I'd have seen we'd played badly.

Despite not being at the games, I know that we played badly.

What difference does it make?!

If I'd been at the games, I'm sure I'd have seen we'd played badly.

Despite not being at the games, I know that we played badly.

What difference does it make?!

So if you're not at any of these games, how are you basing your opinions on which players are good enough to play for Hearts?

3 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Before the end of last season is different from after the start we made to this season though. Based on that you geneuinely still thought he wasnt good enough for us? Amazing if true. Even the fast signings he needed to make to cover in defence - Dunne and Dikamona - were good.

A valid criticism  could be he tied us to one system that needed an Uche type. I assume though thats why he signed Vanacek amd tried so hard to get him earlier.

You didn't see the game then, do you see any games or are you just happy to dig out others that live in a different continent that disagree with you?

You didn't see the game then, do you see any games or are you just happy to dig out others that live in a different continent that disagree with you?

• davemclaren locked this topic