Hearts v Celtic semi - over 28,000 sold

jamdunc

It's a shocking decision that shows utter contempt for everyone involved apart from the OF. Doncaster needs to be removed.

That said, some of the hyperbole on here is so over the top. People not going as they'll have a few hours less in bed? Gies peace, it'll not do you any harm.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NANOJAMBO

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• ...a bit disco

• graygo

Kris Boyd , Chris Sutton and Craigan - all bellends of course - but clearly been told by their employers BTSport to bang the drum in support.

Boyd in particular just doesn’t hide his ♥️ for Newco. It’s fekin embarrassing and shame on Killie for allowing a first team player come out as a pundit slavouring all sorts of pish every week about other clubs.

the decision in a nutshell can be laughed at simply by this -

Police Scotland won’t let Celtic and Rangers play in the same city on the same day but they’ll let them play in the same stadium. Nothing surprises me anymore.

tgeyre actually taking the pish out us.

My son is in the police , they have been told that because of the “ possibility ‘ of all day drinkers watching the games in the pubs and the worry for serious trouble  that all leave will most likely be cancelled .

by the way he’s a policeman in Inverness !!

God forbid but what if the hydro with 13!000 people inside watching Kevin bridges the same night had to be evacuated for whatever reason, is there enough police to also cover something like this, both the above  may never happen, but plans must always be in place to assume worst case scenario.

Another thing , listening to scott Macdonald last night , he comes out with edinburgh to hampden is a 45 minute journey and to give him peace !

hes never obviously actually been a paying customer to hampden , and 9 times out of 10 you are still sitting in a car/ bus  for more than 45 minutes , in fact I’d bite your hand off if someone was guaranteeing I’d be out of glasgow in 45 minutes after the game , but to say it’s 45 minutes between hampden Edith before or after a game just shows that these clowns have absolutely no idea what they are talking about .

pettigrewsstylist
6 hours ago, peter_hmfc said:

That Kris Boyd article.

:cornette:

Astoundingly ridiculous stuff.

One of the 6%. Reassuringly familiar.

I don't know if anyone has suggested this but on 31st October, were at home to Hibs and Celtic away to Dundee. Why not play these games on Sunday 28th then play the semi on the 31st??

Have we found out who this supposedly up breakable contract the SPFL have with over this. It must be either Queens Park or the SFA. Both have been very quiet over this.

Jean Louis Valois

So glad we have Craig Levein at our club, he’s one of the only people involved in our game who stands up and tells it how it is. Long may it continue.

CavySlaveJambo
20 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Have we found out who this supposedly up breakable contract the SPFL have with over this. It must be either Queens Park or the SFA. Both have been very quiet over this.

Hampden Park Ltd/SFA

letsmakesomenoise
9 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

I’ve been wondering why BT have been getting away with this Scot-free, with the exception of a moronic tweet from their worst pundit.

Why don’t all objectors who subscribe cancel BT Sport, even for just a month or two? 

Sky Sports have timed their announcement of a 17:30ko at Easter Road perfectly. I know it’s not true, but it makes SS look like they actually care about the fans.

Apart from the fans who work nine to five.

4 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Hampden Park Ltd/SFA

No surprise. They have been silent over this. The governing organisation for the game here.  Makes it even more of a contrived conspiracy to make things as difficult as possible for both Hearts and Aberdeen. Disgusting .

letsalldothebeattie

Levein has been brilliant since stepping back into the management role and has got some decent praise from likes of Tam Cowan, Stuart Cosgrove & Richard Gordon for how refreshing he has been with his comments. That press conference yesterday just proves it and shows you cant help but love the guy

7 minutes ago, letsmakesomenoise said:

Apart from the fans who work nine to five.

On a Saturday, isn’t it? Moving from 15:00 to 17:30 is by miles the best time slot for those actually attending the game. Even if you work 9-5 on a Saturday, you’ll get to pub in time or even get a flyer, if you work in Edinburgh, to get there in time. 

All the spfl apologists coming out the woodwork now and surprise surprise they are all celtic/sevco sympathisers to a man. Kind of just proves the point that spfl are only intetested in two teams. 

7 minutes ago, LeylandJambo said:

I'm actually surprised that the authorities haven't taken him to task about his comments. 

You wouldn't put it past them.

I don't think the authorities want to put further scrutiny on their decision making by trying to bring Levein up on a charge.  They know they have ****ed up but won't admit it.

There are clearly alternatives. If the main driver is a financial commitment to Hampden, moving Hearts game to Murrayfield will add 20k to that crowd - some due to game at reasonable hour and increased Hearts support if held in own City. The Aberdeen game will increase the crowd significantly also as Aberdeen would bring a bigger crowd playing at a time they can reach Stadium.  More balanced overall support at both games, less likelihood of crowd trouble, no risk of pitch being unacceptable, no transport challenges. Can pay off Hampden from excess receipts. 
Everybody happy. 
But,wait a minute, Celtic lose Home city advantage and it’s not in Glasgow. 

18 minutes ago, LeylandJambo said:

I'm actually surprised that the authorities haven't taken him to task about his comments. 

You wouldn't put it past them.

as I said to someone the other day, they'll find a way but not through this

In these situations there never seems to be some forward/creative thinking from the football authorities in this country. They just seem to say no to things and stick rigidly to that position, without properly exploring all options. What Michael Stewart said in that article is bang on as well - this is a members organisation and two of its biggest members are not happy with the situation yet apparently nothing can be done. If Levein is censured in any way for his fair, logical comments it will be an absolute disgrace.

Regal Kingston

Would be nice if parents could get their kids to hold up signs against Neil Doncaster’s and his decision today. Would look good for the TV cameras. 

And Kris Boyd should lose all his media jobs for that comment.

Rangers brought Manchester to its knees in 2008 and he chooses to single out Aberdeen fans as the trouble makers?

I’m actually stunned the Daily Record printed that. Dons fans must be seething. 

I once again are gob smacked at how Kris Boyd a current SPFL player  is allowed to comment on other clubs and issues within our game with no consequences. Clearly he goes down the controversial route trying to carve out a career for himself after his playing career is over, that I get but how he is not hauled up and brought to task for his continual interfering in other teams affairs is staggering, mind it is Scottish football and there are always agendas!!!

It must irk the Killie fans big time to hear him spouting this rubbish which normally is geared towards the benefit of his first love TRFC. 

Only this week brenda brought him to task for commenting on Celtic and told him to consentrate on getting in the Killie team.

is he really among the 6% that think the semi final scheduling is good work or once again courting controversy ?

annoying man 

8 hours ago, RobNox said:

I know there are some on here who dislike Tom English because of his criticisms of us during the Vlad years, but he is one of the very few in the mainstream media these days who seems to have a voice of his own.  His piece above sums things up very succinctly.

Tom English in my opinion is the best sports journalist in Scotland by the proverbial mile.

6 minutes ago, Regal Kingston said:

Would be nice if parents could get their kids to hold up signs against Neil Doncaster’s and his decision today. Would look good for the TV cameras. 

And Kris Boyd should lose all his media jobs for that comment.

Rangers brought Manchester to its knees in 2008 and he chooses to single out Aberdeen fans as the trouble makers?

I’m actually stunned the Daily Record printed that. Dons fans must be seething. 

Really? I’m not surprised in the slightest. Kris Boyd and that annoying wee ***** McDonald are using Trumps playbook to carve out a media career. 

49 minutes ago, MacPhee said:

Been raging over this since announcement and still am.

It's truly baffling

But it's fine, because Kris Boyd has pointed out that, sometimes, the old firm have to go to Aberdeen for lunch time kick offs. 

That makes literally this whole situation OK now. Thanks Kris. 

8 hours ago, RobNox said:

I know there are some on here who dislike Tom English because of his criticisms of us during the Vlad years, but he is one of the very few in the mainstream media these days who seems to have a voice of his own.  His piece above sums things up very succinctly.

Does he actually make any case for alternatives by stating what those alternatives would be? He can say the decision is rubbish in an opening line, then advise on the viable alternatives as expressed by a couple of posters on here. I expect he hasn't done this despite having the perfect platform to do so, not like the fans.

Jambof3tornado
33 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

I see a fine coming his way and a stand off, similar to the one he had during his first spell at the club

I hope so.

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

The first paragraph is very interesting ?

I actually find it quite funny when folk trot that one out. You have to ask yoursef why he is “unpopular”...

Is it from the time he pointed out Dougie McDonald was a cheating wee arsehole, and was later vindicated when Celtic noticed?

Is it because he refused to pay his fine for calling the SFA out as corrupt?

Is it the psychological damage he has done to Hibs Fans over the years in derbies?

Maybe it was his emotional acceptance to his playing career ending when he cried on TV.

Maybe it is because he rightly pointed out that Hearts dominating Hibs is the natural order of things.

Could it be when he and Hogg had a square go and despite Hogg taking the first shot, he decked him?

Perhaps it’s the fact he ended Celtic’s ‘invincibles’ run?

There were the times he ripped the absolute pish out of Brendan Rodgers?

Maybe it all stems from him trying to turn Scotland around, before being hounded out?

Could it be the way he transformed Dundee United from relegation scrap also rans to one of the best producers of young talent in the country, and Scottish Cup winners?

Maybe it’s the way he rebuilt Hearts from the ground up?

In any other country, the guy would be seen as a character, and imperfect, but overall a bit of a national treasure. That’s what he is to me and to many other Hearts fans though, so that’ll have to do. ❤️

Edited by Bez

With politicians now getting involved and from what I hear police Scotland rethinking their decision, when the inevitable switch of date happens surely doncasters position will be untenable ?

Id like to think the home game against the sheep will be a sell out or near to it and both sets of fans can let  the Spfl know exactly what we think of them frequently during the game . 

On 28/09/2018 at 08:46, Sir Gio said:

Ours is detailed. The 2 actually compliment one another. 

Refuse the tickets 

I’d say we demand 50/50 tickets then boycott it.

Celtic only get half the ground and we get half their money and we make our point.

WorldChampions1902
7 minutes ago, Bez said:

I actually find it quite funny when folk trot that one out. You have to ask yoursef why he is “unpopular”...

Is it from the time he pointed out Dougie McDonald was a cheating wee arsehole, and was later vindicated when Celtic noticed?

Is it the psychological damage he has done to Hibs Fans over the years in derbies?

Maybe it was his emotional acceptance to his playing career ending when he cried on TV.

Maybe it is because he rightly pointed out that Hearts dominating Hibs is the natural order of things.

Could it be when he and Hogg had a square go and despite Hogg taking the first shot, he decked him?

Maybe it all stems from him trying to turn Scotland around, before being hounded out?

Could it be the way he transformed Dundee United from relegation scrap also rans to one of the best producers of young talent in the country, and Scottish Cup winners?

In any other country, the guy would be seen as a character, and imperfect, but overall a bit of a national treasure. That’s what he is to me and to many other Hearts fans though, so that’ll have to do. ❤️

Brilliant post!

letsalldothebeattie
8 hours ago, livingstonjambo said:

some balance to the Kris Boyd 'article'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45685323

SPFL semi-final decision 'gold-standard administrative tomfoolery' - Tom English

_90327499_englishthm.jpg

By Tom English

BBC Scotland

Sharethis page
Aberdeen fans
Aberdeen fans face an early trip to Hampden for their semi-final, which kicks off at 12:00 GMT

One of these years, the SPFL is going to get through a season without a major hubbub over their scheduling of matches. But you've got to wonder how many of us are going to be alive to see it.

Currently, there's a poll running on BBC Scotland's website that asks a simple question: "Is the SPFL right to play both (League Cup) semi-finals on the same day at Hampden?"

You can have a go yourself. As of Friday evening, 94% of voters said no, the only surprise being that as many as 6% of football fans actually think this is a good idea.

You could run another poll asking Scottish football fans what day of the week it is and you wouldn't get 94% agreement.

When supporters reach a consensus on anything in this country then you know that something remarkable is happening.

'All manner of transport, policing and safety issues'

The SPFL have got themselves into any amount of scrapes over scheduling in recent times. But the thunder that's greeted their decision to host Aberdeen v Rangers at 12:00 GMT on Sunday 28, October before clearing the stadium and having Hearts v Celtic kicking-off at 19:45? That might just be the gold standard of administrative tomfoolery.

More than that, in announcing the details of the double-header, the SPFL's secretary Ian Blair said that he was "pleased to have come to an arrangement that suits everyone".

When Hearts and Aberdeen were voicing their opposition to the plan what words, exactly, was Blair hearing?

Quite obviously the Hampden plan doesn't suit everyone. The double-header throws up all manner of transport and policing and safety issues. Although SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster later said he had "huge sympathy" for the "inconvenienced" travelling fans, the scheduling cements in the minds of some that the organisation couldn't care less about them.

League Cup semi-final schedule 'absolute madness' - Craig Levein

Craig Levein calls it the "craziest thing", "beyond belief" and "absolute madness". The Hearts manager didn't sound much like a man who was "pleased" at the arrangement that "suits everyone".

He says that having a combined total of 100,000 fans from both clubs in Glasgow at the same time "could go wrong". He asks, 'why tempt fate?' when there are other options.

This is Hearts' first cup semi-final in five years. The club, like all clubs, is trying to connect with its young supporters, but how many of them will be there to see it?

A 19:45 kick-off on Sunday night not long after Aberdeen and Rangers have played each other? Even with the assurances of Police Scotland, is that an environment into which you'd be happy to bring your children? Some - many - would think twice about it. The occasion would be diminished as a consequence.

Manager Derek McInnes says that it's "really unfair" on the travelling Aberdeen support. And he's right. In reminding everybody that Aberdeen fans can't physically get from their city to Glasgow on a train ahead of the current kick-off time he had a weariness of a man who had been in this movie before.

Fans ignored 'over and over again'

image.gif.3a38fe3236295153f2d838b2150192b2.gif

The anger surrounding the scheduling only hardened on Friday afternoon when, in response to questions from football fans about whether they were intending to put on extra trains, ScotRail tweeted: "Our events team wasn't consulted by the SPFL in advance of its announcement, which is disappointing. The SPFL has only now been in touch after the announcement".

Soon after, Stewart McDonald, member of parliament for Glasgow South, announced that he was worried about the pressure all of this would have on his constituents around Hampden. He called on Doncaster to reconsider the decision.

In fewer than 24 hours, the SPFL managed to alienate vast numbers of fans, bring on the opprobrium of two clubs, annoy ScotRail while making their decision a matter that is exercising a parliamentarian.

In the Aberdeen club statement on Thursday, the words "appalled" and "completely unacceptable" were used. Hearts owner, Ann Budge, said she was "astonished" at the SPFL's solution. Again, you have to ask where Blair got the notion that this was a solution that suited everyone.

There were other options and everybody knew what they were. Play one semi-final at Hampden and the other at Murrayfield. No, said the SPFL. Contractual obligations ruled that out.

Next, move Aberdeen v Rangers to Sunday at 15:00 and move Hearts v Celtic to the following weekend while rearranging that day's league fixture between those to side to another time. No, that couldn't be done either.

Instead, the Hampden double-header was born and the fiction that the outcome suited everyone was floated. The host broadcaster, BT Sport, is undoubtedly one of those parties who are pleased, but they don't have much company in happy-land.

The BBC Scotland poll says that 94% of football fans disagree with what the SPFL have done, but the voice of the majority has been drowned out. Over and over again they hear that their opinions are valued and over and over again they feel that they're not being listened to. This is another example of it. One of the worst.

A man who not only sticks up for the non old firm side of Scottish football but the fans as well. Like Tom English a lot and he hits the nail on the head here yet again

3 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

I’d say we demand 50/50 tickets then boycott it.

Celtic only get half the ground and we get half their money and we make our point.

I'm sure our players and management would understand a boycott.  This is just crazy though.  It is so pathetically biased it surely can't be allowed to happen.

11 minutes ago, Bez said:

Summed up perfectly.

only thing I’d add is...

maybe it’s the way he makes it abundantly clear he’s not interested in working for, nor pandering to the old firm...

a lot of people in football can’t seem to get their heads around that 

8 hours ago, livingstonjambo said:

some balance to the Kris Boyd 'article'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45685323

SPFL semi-final decision 'gold-standard administrative tomfoolery' - Tom English

_90327499_englishthm.jpg

By Tom English

BBC Scotland

Sharethis page
Aberdeen fans
Aberdeen fans face an early trip to Hampden for their semi-final, which kicks off at 12:00 GMT

One of these years, the SPFL is going to get through a season without a major hubbub over their scheduling of matches. But you've got to wonder how many of us are going to be alive to see it.

Currently, there's a poll running on BBC Scotland's website that asks a simple question: "Is the SPFL right to play both (League Cup) semi-finals on the same day at Hampden?"

You can have a go yourself. As of Friday evening, 94% of voters said no, the only surprise being that as many as 6% of football fans actually think this is a good idea.

You could run another poll asking Scottish football fans what day of the week it is and you wouldn't get 94% agreement.

When supporters reach a consensus on anything in this country then you know that something remarkable is happening.

'All manner of transport, policing and safety issues'

The SPFL have got themselves into any amount of scrapes over scheduling in recent times. But the thunder that's greeted their decision to host Aberdeen v Rangers at 12:00 GMT on Sunday 28, October before clearing the stadium and having Hearts v Celtic kicking-off at 19:45? That might just be the gold standard of administrative tomfoolery.

More than that, in announcing the details of the double-header, the SPFL's secretary Ian Blair said that he was "pleased to have come to an arrangement that suits everyone".

When Hearts and Aberdeen were voicing their opposition to the plan what words, exactly, was Blair hearing?

Quite obviously the Hampden plan doesn't suit everyone. The double-header throws up all manner of transport and policing and safety issues. Although SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster later said he had "huge sympathy" for the "inconvenienced" travelling fans, the scheduling cements in the minds of some that the organisation couldn't care less about them.

League Cup semi-final schedule 'absolute madness' - Craig Levein

Craig Levein calls it the "craziest thing", "beyond belief" and "absolute madness". The Hearts manager didn't sound much like a man who was "pleased" at the arrangement that "suits everyone".

He says that having a combined total of 100,000 fans from both clubs in Glasgow at the same time "could go wrong". He asks, 'why tempt fate?' when there are other options.

This is Hearts' first cup semi-final in five years. The club, like all clubs, is trying to connect with its young supporters, but how many of them will be there to see it?

A 19:45 kick-off on Sunday night not long after Aberdeen and Rangers have played each other? Even with the assurances of Police Scotland, is that an environment into which you'd be happy to bring your children? Some - many - would think twice about it. The occasion would be diminished as a consequence.

Manager Derek McInnes says that it's "really unfair" on the travelling Aberdeen support. And he's right. In reminding everybody that Aberdeen fans can't physically get from their city to Glasgow on a train ahead of the current kick-off time he had a weariness of a man who had been in this movie before.

Fans ignored 'over and over again'

image.gif.3a38fe3236295153f2d838b2150192b2.gif

The anger surrounding the scheduling only hardened on Friday afternoon when, in response to questions from football fans about whether they were intending to put on extra trains, ScotRail tweeted: "Our events team wasn't consulted by the SPFL in advance of its announcement, which is disappointing. The SPFL has only now been in touch after the announcement".

Soon after, Stewart McDonald, member of parliament for Glasgow South, announced that he was worried about the pressure all of this would have on his constituents around Hampden. He called on Doncaster to reconsider the decision.

In fewer than 24 hours, the SPFL managed to alienate vast numbers of fans, bring on the opprobrium of two clubs, annoy ScotRail while making their decision a matter that is exercising a parliamentarian.

In the Aberdeen club statement on Thursday, the words "appalled" and "completely unacceptable" were used. Hearts owner, Ann Budge, said she was "astonished" at the SPFL's solution. Again, you have to ask where Blair got the notion that this was a solution that suited everyone.

There were other options and everybody knew what they were. Play one semi-final at Hampden and the other at Murrayfield. No, said the SPFL. Contractual obligations ruled that out.

Next, move Aberdeen v Rangers to Sunday at 15:00 and move Hearts v Celtic to the following weekend while rearranging that day's league fixture between those to side to another time. No, that couldn't be done either.

Instead, the Hampden double-header was born and the fiction that the outcome suited everyone was floated. The host broadcaster, BT Sport, is undoubtedly one of those parties who are pleased, but they don't have much company in happy-land.

The BBC Scotland poll says that 94% of football fans disagree with what the SPFL have done, but the voice of the majority has been drowned out. Over and over again they hear that their opinions are valued and over and over again they feel that they're not being listened to. This is another example of it. One of the worst.

Another great article from Tom English.

7 minutes ago, Bez said:

Top post! 

Scottish football now struggles with people like Levein, true thinkers of the game. It's a shame, as I guess it wasn't always like this, or you wouldn't have had the likes of Stein and some of the other greats of the past.

These days, idiotic Old Firm apologists like Boyd, Bonner, Ferguson at al are the yardstick of accepted opinion within Scottish football.

Beware weegies setting the benchmark in anything has always been my experience.

"Hearts have one of the largest travelling supports in Scotland, renowned for making it to Hampden in large numbers when they reach finals and semi-finals."

:pleasing:

Particularly liked the first line. Not the following implication of glory-hunting.

Edited by Highlander

17 minutes ago, Bez said:

It's a horrendous cliche and myth.    Craig Levein = disliked guy.     It has never been explained why.     The reason it has never been explained is because it's a myth,    mostly repeated by imbeciles who are incapable of independent thought.

57 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

I see a fine coming his way and a stand off, similar to the one he had during his first spell at the club

If he did, we should chip in and pay it. He'd refuse of course, but we should, and would, insist.

If only to send a message to these pricks that we are behind our manager and will contribute towards backing him up.

letsalldothebeattie
10 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I'm sure our players and management would understand a boycott.  This is just crazy though.  It is so pathetically biased it surely can't be allowed to happen.

Levein openly said in the presser yesterday he doesn't want fans to boycott

its becoming more and more obvious that the stumbling block for sorting this madness out are the SFA and their idiot decision to purchase Hampden. They hold the key to sorting out this madness by waving the right to have the Celtic v Hearts game. played there. That match could be moved to Murrayfield and both semis played at three.  Absolute foolhardy stuff from people tasked with protecting and advancing the game here. Will common sense come into play here? Certainly not while only Celtic and Sevcos best interests are foremost in the minds of all these buffoons.

10 minutes ago, Husky said:

Tom English the only journalist to talk sense 

As ever, good write up by him. One of the few journos not sucking on the OF boabby.

Edited by TypoonJambo

ToadKiller Dog
1 minute ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Levein openly said in the presser yesterday he doesn't want fans to boycott

Nobody wants to have a boycott, but the threat of it being a possibility has to be seen as real if we want them to look again at the decisions made. 

letsalldothebeattie
Just now, Deevers said:

its becoming more and more obvious that the stumbling block for sorting this madness out are the SFA and their idiot decision to purchase Hampden. They hold the key to sorting out this madness by waving the right to have the Celtic v Hearts game. played there. That match could be moved to Murrayfield and both semis played at three.  Absolute foolhardy stuff from people tasked with protecting and advancing the game here. Will common sense come into play here? Certainly not while only Celtic and Sevcos best interests are foremost in the minds of all these buffoons.

Not even a need for both games to kick off at the same time a move to murrayfield could easy sort the whole issue out whether us v celtic or not 1 game kick off at 12:30/1pm and the other 3pm/4pm BT can still show both games and that scenario would keep everyone happy