How Would You Vote in IndyRef2?

Highlander

10 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

I wasn't referring to Spanish language students, or the Spaniards who might just be in the country for a couple of months to help them learn English, I am talking about the comparatively large, resident, Spanish community in Edinburgh and - presumably - other Scottish cities.

Forgive me if I don't place any great stock upon your estimation, in the light of such sweeping (and dare I say ignorant) statements as "Spain... know and care nothing about Scotland.

Taking advantage of the vastly superior British economy. There are Spanish people all over Europe. The vast majority were economic migrants and the vast majority return to Spain.

Ask people on your next visit to Spain what they know about Scotland. You won't find much beyond the Hollywood/Simpsons version.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• frankblack

• Boris

• JamboX2

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 26/10/2018 at 23:45, RealMaroonCF said:

Voted labour until I realised I was scottish. Maybe I'll go back to labour under an independent Scotland but until then I vote for my country and countrymen to stand by ourselves.

We either wear the lion rampant or we ditch the costume. We are a nation of vastly educated and gifted people. A small but respected and beautiful country. 

Coins and paper don't make a country. It's people do.

I'll vote yes again....and by then it will be in the hands of mine and your children to take us forward 

What a lot of shite. Trying to sound like something out of Braveheart. I ask, why must we ditch the lion Rampant if we are part of the UK?

The SNP love spending my hard earned money. Every day I say to myself that I can't hate the SNP anymore. Everyday I  am wrong.

1 hour ago, Gorgiewave said:

Taking advantage of the vastly superior British economy. There are Spanish people all over Europe. The vast majority were economic migrants and the vast majority return to Spain.

Ask people on your next visit to Spain what they know about Scotland. You won't find much beyond the Hollywood/Simpsons version.

Yep, the thing is I've been going regularly and frequently to Spain for over 35 years and in that time have met and spoken with many Spanish people. I'm happy to say I can now count some of them as my good friends. Am I saying that all of those who I've spoken to about Scotland were highly knowledgeable about it and interested in it? No, of course I'm not. However, many of them have been much more so than you have been trying to make out in your initial foolishly-sweeping statement and your subsequent attempts to justify it. 

21 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

The SNP love spending my hard earned money. Every day I say to myself that I can't hate the SNP anymore. Everyday I  am wrong.

All governments spend our money. I hate unionist parties spending mine on things that have nothing to do with Scotland. You really are grumpy sometimes i8. 

9 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

What a lot of shite. Trying to sound like something out of Braveheart. I ask, why must we ditch the lion Rampant if we are part of the UK?

I'll remove you from the set which includes "vastly educated" I8.

I fully expect those in opposition to go down the "braveheart shite" route when expressing dislike for valid reasonings. We really ought to drop all that to have a balanced argument or debate.

Scotland likes to think of itself as a nation, and most of the people in it do to...when it suits them. My voice is one that says controls from London don't fit my thinking in that regard and it prefer we don't hide begi d braveheart chat and that were around and want to be a nation again whilst hiding under UK 'protection

All I'm saying is I'd like us to prove it. I'm entitled to that without your "shite" attitude and commentary.

47 minutes ago, RealMaroonCF said:

I'll remove you from the set which includes "vastly educated" I8.

I fully expect those in opposition to go down the "braveheart shite" route when expressing dislike for valid reasonings. We really ought to drop all that to have a balanced argument or debate.

Scotland likes to think of itself as a nation, and most of the people in it do to...when it suits them. My voice is one that says controls from London don't fit my thinking in that regard and it prefer we don't hide begi d braveheart chat and that were around and want to be a nation again whilst hiding under UK 'protection

All I'm saying is I'd like us to prove it. I'm entitled to that without your "shite" attitude and commentary.

No control from London just Brussels eh

:fonzie:

I shall remove you from the set that includes "can think for oneself".

And who says you are not entitled to think or want that? That is why you put pencil to paper four years ago, of course you are. And, you lost. Democracy spoke. I like and respect that unlinke the SNP cult members.

Edited by i8hibsh

5 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

No control from London just Brussels eh

:fonzie:

I shall remove you from the set that includes "can think for oneself".

And who says you are not entitled to think or want that? That is why you put pencil to paper four years ago, of course you are. And, you lost. Democracy spoke. I like and respect that unlinke the SNP cult members.

The SNP want to keep re-running referendums until they get the outcome that suits them, and have the brass neck to think of themselves as democratic.  Meanwhile the rest of us in the real world would like to move on with our lives.

8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The SNP want to keep re-running referendums until they get the outcome that suits them, and have the brass neck to think of themselves as democratic.  Meanwhile the rest of us in the real world would like to move on with our lives.

And pay more tax on our hard earned income to turn us into Norway. Never actually stopping to realise that we are Scottish and not actually Norwegian. 

They want to preserve our cultures and heritage but want to welcome "ALL REFUGEES". Like that will work

:facepalm:

Edited by i8hibsh

I am more than £200 worse off per month under these fantasists. I utterly utterly utterly despise them.

Edited by i8hibsh

17 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I am more than £200 worse off per month under these fantasists. I utterly utterly utterly despise them.

Unlucky

Just filled in the budget calculator on BBC.

I'm 45 better off in Scotland and would be 6 worse off if I lived down south 

Difference is that I value paying more if that's what creates a better society.

Hysterically I work in an industry funded by the UK government 

31 minutes ago, RealMaroonCF said:

Better society for who?  I hate how the SNP always refer to free this and free that and fairness this and fairness that.

There is absolutely NOTHING free for me and there is NOTHING 'fair' about taking my hard earned money and giving it to people I do not know.  This is not to say I disagree with the tax system, I am a huge fan actually and I am certainly very much a believer in the welfare state.  But here is where the line is and the SNP are crossing it.  Who is getting my hard earned money?  And I mean a lot more per month than a non SNP government.

Looking all in a unicorn land way I would love the money to go to those less fortunate.  Those dealt a pretty tough hand.  I am a fortunate human being and was born so, I will help and do my bit.  But of course this not the reality of the SNP.  They want to give ‘free shit’ to pretty much anyone and everyone.  They have absolutely no shame.  I am not paying for some slut to have the morning after pill ok!  I am not paying for a baby box for either a family that can easily afford their own or a family who can’t even afford to have children in the first place. 

I want my money to help those here already, not have people come in, jump the queue and get 'free shit' when they have contributed nothing to this society.

Edited by i8hibsh

33 minutes ago, RealMaroonCF said:

As a side note, a mate of mine is a staunch proper left wing anti- capitalist nationalist.  He got a job at BNP Paribas in Glasgow (you genuinely can't make this up) and his email address was first name.second [email protected]

:gok:

Last time remain part of the UK.If the UK leaves the E U (we are still in)then it must be independence..As we cannot leave the E U due to Ireland then the question will not arise.

12 minutes ago, Boab1874 said:

Last time remain part of the UK.If the UK leaves the E U (we are still in)then it must be independence..As we cannot leave the E U due to Ireland then the question will not arise.

How many times have you posted the same crap that has been debunked every time?

Remain lost the democratic vote - now its time you man up and grow a pair and accept it.

7 hours ago, frankblack said:

How many times have you posted the same crap that has been debunked every time?

Remain lost the democratic vote - now its time you man up and grow a pair and accept it.

Well done Frank. Couldn't get my head round this post. Remain lost and so did Yes so we move on although the goalposts have been moved since the Indy vote so I get the ire. I voted for independence but I sometimes think we should lie in our own mess! 

Brighton Jambo

Given SNP are now supportive of a peoples vote on the final Brexit deal can I assume they will be supportive of a people’s vote when the final Scottish  independence deal/solution is understood?  

on the news yesterday there was some conflict within SNP ranks on this topic as some of them can see the risk a second Brexit referendum could play to independence agenda. 

11 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Given SNP are now supportive of a peoples vote on the final Brexit deal can I assume they will be supportive of a people’s vote when the final Scottish  independence deal/solution is understood?  

on the news yesterday there was some conflict within SNP ranks on this topic as some of them can see the risk a second Brexit referendum could play to independence agenda. 

:rofl: The SNP plays another blinder. There'll be no people's vote. And there'll be no people's vote on independence. They just ran rings round all parties by not standing in the way or fake support for a second euref, as now these parties can't now argue about a second Scottish referendum and removes any hypocrisy from the SNP. 

Edited by ri Alban

Brighton Jambo
22 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

:rofl: The SNP plays another blinder. There'll be no people's vote. And there'll be no people's vote on independence. They just ran rings round all parties by not standing in the way or fake support for a second euref, as now these parties can't now argue about a second Scottish referendum and removes any hypocrisy from the SNP. 

That’s a heck of gamble to take.  If there was a change of tack and a second vote on Brexit then there’s no way you could avoid it for independence 2.   It’s a conundrum for independence voters for if the government sticks to its stance on the fact there’s been a referendum and we must respect the outcome then why wouldn’t they do the same for Scottish independence referendum.  I can see whatever government simply saying no for many years to come, basically until such time as there is a anti independence majority in Holyrood .  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

10 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Well done Frank. Couldn't get my head round this post. Remain lost and so did Yes so we move on although the goalposts have been moved since the Indy vote so I get the ire. I voted for independence but I sometimes think we should lie in our own mess! 

**** knows why you replied to that post.

I was identifying that poster who is completely out of their depth and repeats the same point over and over on the Indy and Brexit threads, despite him being shot down every time.  Posting the same thing two weeks later doesn't make it any less invalid.

I saw on the Scottish News that the SNP MSP Alex Neil doesn't want a People's Vote on Brexit because he is scared it would set a precedent for another Independence Referendum and effectively scupper it.

Can't find the article on the BBC website but it was on TV.  It seems the SNP are all over the place on Brexit and Indy Ref 2.

12 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I saw on the Scottish News that the SNP MSP Alex Neil doesn't want a People's Vote on Brexit because he is scared it would set a precedent for another Independence Referendum and effectively scupper it.

Can't find the article on the BBC website but it was on TV.  It seems the SNP are all over the place on Brexit and Indy Ref 2.

That wouldn't be an example of a difference in opinion within the SNP would it?

5 minutes ago, Boris said:

That wouldn't be an example of a difference in opinion within the SNP would it?

I think it would be the first one but it contradicts what Sturgeon has said about supporting a "People's Vote".

Neil is saying what I said at the time that if you have such a follow-up confirmation vote on a referendum then you set a precedent.  Should such a precedent be set, I think the chances of a successful Independence referendum being carried through without being revoked are virtually nil as people aren't going to vote to make themselves worse off.

22 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I think it would be the first one but it contradicts what Sturgeon has said about supporting a "People's Vote".

Neil is saying what I said at the time that if you have such a follow-up confirmation vote on a referendum then you set a precedent.  Should such a precedent be set, I think the chances of a successful Independence referendum being carried through without being revoked are virtually nil as people aren't going to vote to make themselves worse off.

Way I see it is that if Scotland is to vote for independence, people will have voted with their eyes open, as opposed to the Brexiteer bullshit.  So folk will know it won't be a one-way ticket to the land of milk & honey.  IMO, of course.  So if there is a qualifying referendum after to ratify the deal (remember the only similarities here are the fact that decisions are made by referenda - Scotland leaving the Uk is different from the Uk leaving the EU) so be it.  I mean, logically, Neil has essentially said Scotland becoming independent will make us worse off!  So if people know that and vote for it, they may well be inclinded to do so again.

I'm not one for bringing in a threshold e.g. 60%+ for independence for it to carry, however had, in 2014, Yes won by say the same margin as Leave won the EU referendum, I would have been a wee bit uncomfortable with that.  And this is why you are getting calls for a second referendum over the EU.  Had leave won by 60% plus then there's no argument (apart from maybe the suversion of electoral law and our democracy, but that's another story!)

Brighton Jambo
59 minutes ago, Boris said:

Way I see it is that if Scotland is to vote for independence, people will have voted with their eyes open, as opposed to the Brexiteer bullshit.  So folk will know it won't be a one-way ticket to the land of milk & honey.  IMO, of course.  So if there is a qualifying referendum after to ratify the deal (remember the only similarities here are the fact that decisions are made by referenda - Scotland leaving the Uk is different from the Uk leaving the EU) so be it.  I mean, logically, Neil has essentially said Scotland becoming independent will make us worse off!  So if people know that and vote for it, they may well be inclinded to do so again.

I'm not one for bringing in a threshold e.g. 60%+ for independence for it to carry, however had, in 2014, Yes won by say the same margin as Leave won the EU referendum, I would have been a wee bit uncomfortable with that.  And this is why you are getting calls for a second referendum over the EU.  Had leave won by 60% plus then there's no argument (apart from maybe the suversion of electoral law and our democracy, but that's another story!)

Not to go over old ground but I don't see how you can say people will have voted with eyes open.  We still don't know:

What is the currency situation, and when we do know how that will work

What happens with Scotland's share of debt/impact on pensions etc

Will Scotland apply to join EU yes/no and if so what timescale.  You might argue that is a post independence question but business will want/need to know as that will impact border/trading relations with biggest market in future.

What happens with some of Scotlands biggest industries (Shipbuidling etc)

How is indy Scotland going to pay for new public service infrastructure/armed forces etc etc

I could go on and on!  in 2014 that white paper was as vague and disingenuous as any Brexit campaign.  I acknowledge your point that they have now said things will be tougher but there is still no detail so how can people have voted with 'eyes open'?

54 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Not to go over old ground but I don't see how you can say people will have voted with eyes open.  We still don't know:

Will Scotland apply to join EU yes/no and if so what timescale.  You might argue that is a post independence question but business will want/need to know as that will impact border/trading relations with biggest market in future.

How is indy Scotland going to pay for new public service infrastructure/armed forces etc etc

I could go on and on!  in 2014 that white paper was as vague and disingenuous as any Brexit campaign.  I acknowledge your point that they have now said things will be tougher but there is still no detail so how can people have voted with 'eyes open'?

Because of those questions you ask, it is next to impossible to answer prior to the event.  Granted, some of it will be answered in any negotiation, but I think given the previous experience in 2014, and the chicanery in 2016, any future referendum cannot promise falsehoods, or rather things will be scrutinised in greater detail.  Also given where the Yes campaign stands with very little media, their offering will be under the microscope.  Let us hope our impartial public broadcaster is equally scrutinoous with both sides! 

2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Let's ask an SNP MP, shall we?

38 minutes ago, Gorgiewave said:

Let's ask an SNP MP, shall we?

She said watch this space as it is being worked on but come any referendum they will give their view.  That was as at March 2017, as far as I could see from the YouTube timestamp.

Geoff the Mince

All the Politicans are a bunch of arseholes , honestly can't see how anyone can say they follow any party .

bunch of  arrogant  wanks . 

6 hours ago, Boris said:

She said watch this space as it is being worked on but come any referendum they will give their view.  That was as at March 2017, as far as I could see from the YouTube timestamp.

They've been campaigning for Scottish independence since the 1930s. I think that's adequate time to answer such a basic question.

1 minute ago, Hunky Dory said:

Yes. Come one SNP. Nothing has changed in 100 years. Answer!

Their policy on independence hasn't...

https://britainelects.com/polling/scotland/

egestatem,
potestatem
dissolvit ut glaciem.

Pollster Fieldwork SNP Con Lab LDem Oth  
Survation 21 Oct 18 38 26 25 9 2 SNP +12
Panelbase 04 Oct 18 41 26 21 6 6 SNP +15
Survation 10 Jul 18 43 24 21 9 3 SNP +19
Panelbase 13 Jun 18 40 28 24 6 2 SNP +12
YouGov 05 Jun 18 41 27 22 6 4 SNP +14
Panelbase 28 Mar 18 40 28 22 6 4 SNP +12
Survation 28 Jan 18 42 25 25 7 1 SNP +17
YouGov 16 Jan 18 38 26 23 7 6 SNP +12
Survation 30 Nov 17 39 24 25 8 4 SNP +14
YouGov 05 Oct 17 42 25 25 5 3 SNP +17
Survation 12 Sep 17 42 26 25 7 0 SNP +16
Panelbase 07 Sep 17 42 28 22 6 2 SNP +14
RESULT 05 May 16 47 22 23 8 0 SNP +25
YouGov 04 May 16 48 19 22 7 4 SNP +29
Survation 02 May 16 49 19 21 7 4 SNP +30
Panelbase 28 Apr 16 49 17 23 6 5 SNP +32
Ipsos Mori 25 Apr 16 51 18 19 6 6 SNP +33
TNS 24 Apr 16 52 17 22 7 2 SNP +35
Survation 20 Apr 16 53 17 18 7 5 SNP +36
BMG 15 Apr 16 53 16 21 6 4 SNP +37

1 hour ago, Gorgiewave said:

Their policy on independence hasn't...

https://britainelects.com/polling/scotland/

egestatem,
potestatem
dissolvit ut glaciem.

Pollster Fieldwork SNP Con Lab LDem Oth  
Survation 21 Oct 18 38 26 25 9 2 SNP +12
Panelbase 04 Oct 18 41 26 21 6 6 SNP +15
Survation 10 Jul 18 43 24 21 9 3 SNP +19
Panelbase 13 Jun 18 40 28 24 6 2 SNP +12
YouGov 05 Jun 18 41 27 22 6 4 SNP +14
Panelbase 28 Mar 18 40 28 22 6 4 SNP +12
Survation 28 Jan 18 42 25 25 7 1 SNP +17
YouGov 16 Jan 18 38 26 23 7 6 SNP +12
Survation 30 Nov 17 39 24 25 8 4 SNP +14
YouGov 05 Oct 17 42 25 25 5 3 SNP +17
Survation 12 Sep 17 42 26 25 7 0 SNP +16
Panelbase 07 Sep 17 42 28 22 6 2 SNP +14
RESULT 05 May 16 47 22 23 8 0 SNP +25
YouGov 04 May 16 48 19 22 7 4 SNP +29
Survation 02 May 16 49 19 21 7 4 SNP +30
Panelbase 28 Apr 16 49 17 23 6 5 SNP +32
Ipsos Mori 25 Apr 16 51 18 19 6 6 SNP +33
TNS 24 Apr 16 52 17 22 7 2 SNP +35
Survation 20 Apr 16 53 17 18 7 5 SNP +36
BMG 15 Apr 16 53 16 21 6 4 SNP +37

Probably the most successful coalition of modern times. 

• 2 months later...
maroonlegions

Independence for Scotland  coming about  by  any INDEY REF 2  will be helped by this present Tory government.

Have said this before , the Tories with their failed and blotched BREXIT mess has reinforced my view that they will have a big say in persuading those voters still on the fence to vote yes.

Polls are not always an indication of what way a vote will go but  an interesting poll was conducted by the Herald.

Geoff the Mince

As much as I  rage at Westminster I still see no great appeal to Independence .

Or I should say I have no faith in any political party .

Brighton Jambo
57 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Independence for Scotland  coming about  by  any INDEY REF 2  will be helped by this present Tory government.

Have said this before , the Tories with their failed and blotched BREXIT mess has reinforced my view that they will have a big say in persuading those voters still on the fence to vote yes.

Polls are not always an indication of what way a vote will go but  an interesting poll was conducted by the Herald.

Is that the independence supporting herald who conducted that survey?!

I cannot believe the majority of people in Scotland have any appetite for an independence campaign following all this Brexit turmoil.  I don’t like Sturgeon but will concede she is a canny politician.  On this one though she has misjudged the mood of the majority of the nation. 

Thunderstruck

This juxtaposition of headline articles fro earlier this month tells us all we need to know about SNP priorities. It’s all about independence and screw everything else. 

53ED2805-EEC9-4008-AF35-6560F8E816A6.jpeg

maroonlegions
12 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

This juxtaposition of headline articles fro earlier this month tells us all we need to know about SNP priorities. It’s all about independence and screw everything else. 

53ED2805-EEC9-4008-AF35-6560F8E816A6.jpeg

Look closer to home when casting the first stone.

She is clinging to power by her finger nails, she would have lost that vote of no confidence in her government if it was not for her bribe that is the DUP.

Remember that magic money tree pesh she said....:lol: She is a fake and a Con .

Image may contain: one or more people
Edited by maroonlegions

maroonlegions
15 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Is that the independence supporting herald who conducted that survey?!

I cannot believe the majority of people in Scotland have any appetite for an independence campaign following all this Brexit turmoil.  I don’t like Sturgeon but will concede she is a canny politician.  On this one though she has misjudged the mood of the majority of the nation. 

Scotland voted to REMAIN in the EU, that should never be underestimated. 

The Tories will be a deciding factor in the YES vote swing with their fecked up BREXIT loony tunes cartoon saga.

Edited by maroonlegions

1 hour ago, Dannie Boy said:

Still no from and will always be No.

Why always no? What if Westminster did something really bloody awful... You'd still vote for it out of what? Blind loyalty? History? Stupidity?

20 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

The Tories will be a deciding factor in the YES vote swing with their fecked up BREXIT loony tunes cartoon saga.

Scotland also voted to remain in the UK and as part of the UK voted in the EU Referendum. Still NO and always NO.

Thunderstruck
41 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Look closer to home when casting the first stone.

She is clinging to power by her finger nails, she would have lost that vote of no confidence in her government if it was not for her bribe that is the DUP.

Remember that magic money tree pesh she said....:lol: She is a fake and a Con .

Image may contain: one or more people

What on Earth has that drivel got to do with SNP incompetence and monomaniacal focus on independence. 

35 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Scotland did not vote to remain.  It was a UK referendum and only the halfwits in the SNP try to convince themselves otherwise.

As others have said, Scotland DID vote to remain in the union.  By asking for another referendum on Independence the question would have to be asked if in the improbable scenario that the SNP won the next referendum can the UK government call another referendum to reverse the result?  An Independence Referendum was supposed to be once in a generation, remember?

7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Scotland did not vote to remain.  It was a UK referendum and only the halfwits in the SNP try to convince themselves otherwise.

As others have said, Scotland DID vote to remain in the union.  By asking for another referendum on Independence the question would have to be asked if in the improbable scenario that the SNP won the next referendum can the UK government call another referendum to reverse the result?  An Independence Referendum was supposed to be once in a generation, remember?

?

9 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You are mental if you cannot recognise that there are 4 very different countries in the union.

28 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Why always no? What if Westminster did something really bloody awful... You'd still vote for it out of what? Blind loyalty? History? Stupidity?

Common sense.